Dec

Rise and Shine

Text of the President’s address:

One year ago today, a quiet, peaceful town was shattered by unspeakable violence.

Six dedicated school workers and 20 beautiful children were taken from our lives forever.

As parents, as Americans, the news filled us with grief.  Newtown is a town like so many of our hometowns.  The victims were educators and kids that could have been any of our own.  And our hearts were broken for the families that lost a piece of their heart; for the communities changed forever; for the survivors, so young, whose innocence was torn away far too soon.

But beneath the sadness, we also felt a sense of resolve – that these tragedies must end, and that to end them, we must change.

From the very beginning, our efforts were led by the parents of Newtown – men and women, impossibly brave, who stepped forward in the hopes that they might spare others their heartbreak.  And they were joined by millions of Americans – mothers and fathers; sisters and brothers – who refused to accept these acts of violence as somehow inevitable.

Over the past year, their voices have sustained us.  And their example has inspired us – to be better parents and better neighbors; to give our children everything they need to face the world without fear; to meet our responsibilities not just to our own families, but to our communities.  More than the tragedy itself, that’s how Newtown will be remembered.

And on this anniversary of a day we will never forget, that’s the example we should continue to follow.  Because we haven’t yet done enough to make our communities and our country safer.  We have to do more to keep dangerous people from getting their hands on a gun so easily.  We have to do more to heal troubled minds.  We have to do everything we can to protect our children from harm and make them feel loved, and valued, and cared for.

And as we do, we can’t lose sight of the fact that real change won’t come from Washington.  It will come the way it’s always come – from you.  From the American people.

As a nation, we can’t stop every act of violence.  We can’t heal every troubled mind.  But if we want to live in a country where we can go to work, send our kids to school, and walk our streets free from fear, we have to keep trying.  We have to keep caring.  We have to treat every child like they’re our child.  Like those in Sandy Hook, we must choose love.  And together, we must make a change.  Thank you.

9:25 AM EST: President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama observe a moment of silence and light candles for those lost at Sandy Hook

A Year Ago Today:

Dec. 14, 2012 – Pete Souza: “The President reacts as John Brennan briefs him on the details of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. The President later said during a TV interview that this was the worst day of his Presidency.”

President Obama pauses during a meeting to observe a moment of silence in the Oval Office at 9:30 a.m. Dec. 21, 2012, in remembrance of the 20 children and six adults killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn., Dec. 14. Joining the President, from left, are: Director of Communications Dan Pfeiffer; Senior Advisor Valerie Jarrett; Chief of Staff Jack Lew; and Pete Rouse, Counselor to the President. (Photo by Pete Souza)

See more at ThinkProgress

Paul Krugman: A Health Care Mystery Explained

….. here’s the thing: Republicans don’t want to help the unfortunate. They’ll propound health-care ideas that will, they claim, help those with preexisting conditions and so on — but those aren’t really proposals, they’re diversionary tactics designed to stall real health reform….

Hence the rage of the right. Here they were, with a whole raft of ideas they could throw out, like chaff thrown out to confuse enemy radar, to divert and confuse any attempt to actually provide insurance to the uninsured. And those dastardly Democrats have gone ahead and actually incorporated those ideas into real reform.

…. There’s no mystery here; it’s just top-down class warfare as usual.

Full post here

ThinkProgress: The Six Worst Attacks On Reproductive Freedom In 2013

2013 hasn’t been a great year for reproductive rights. Ever since 2010, abortion opponents have imposed a flurry of state-level legislation intended to slowly chip away at abortion access, and that trend certainly continued this year.

But women’s health advocates also believe there was something different about 2013. This year, a far-right contingent of the anti-choice community appeared to abandon their incremental strategy — in which they undermine women’s access to abortion bit by bit, largely with indirect laws that don’t strike at the heart of Roe v. Wade — and get bolder. They started pushing for extremely harsh abortion restrictions that fly in the face of the constitutional right to choose, and they got more serious about shutting down abortion clinics one by one. According to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), lawmakers in more than 25 states proposed some kind of outright ban on abortion this year.

And they were largely successful. Here’s what the anti-choice community managed to accomplish in 2013…

More here

The People’s View:  Politifact’s Obama Derangement Syndrome Leads to Propaganda of the Year

Politifact, the Tampay Bay Times’ dubious “fact check” arm that rates political statements on a scale of “True” to “Pants on Fire” has picked President Obama’s promise to Americans that they could keep their health care plan if they liked it as their “lie of the year.” Because, I guess, the claim by numerous Republicans that letting America default on its debts would strengthen the economy was really a 50-50.

Politifact falls victim to its own Obama Derangement Syndrome and follows the trail of political inconveniences the insurance companies caused the president by scaring their customers and refusing to bring their plans into alignment with the ACA requirements for the last 3 years (but they changed the plans nonetheless so that they wouldn’t be eligible to be grandfathered in under the law) combined with the website problems and declares that the scare-storm caused by insurance companies and the political right was really the president’s fault.

More here

ThinkProgress: Why Doesn’t Twitter Take Gender-Based Harassment More Seriously?

Twitter caused quite a stir late Thursday regarding a change in its block policy, provoking outrage from victims of online harassment and advocates. The new policy, which would have allowed blocked users to keep following and retweeting their blockers, was reversed hours after its debut.

But while the decision to reverse the change was welcomed, it may not go far enough for those most vulnerable to violent threats and harassment — specifically women, people of color, and the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered community.

Women took to Twitter soon after the announcement to protest the change, explaining they used the block function to shield themselves from rape and death threats. In a petition against the new policy, several users shared examples of how they had been stalked and threatened on Twitter.

More here

On This Day:

President Obama whistles as he walks along the Colonnade of the White House following a holiday reception, Dec. 14, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Dec. 14, 2011 – Pete Souza: “During one of the Christmas Holiday receptions at the White House, I noticed the First Lady’s hands resting on the podium as the President made brief remarks.”

Dec. 14, 2011 – Pete Souza: “There was a sea of maroon berets as the President and First Lady greeted troops following remarks on the end of America’s war in Iraq, at Fort Bragg, N.C.”

First Lady Michelle Obama, with first dog Bo, at an annual event at the Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, Dec. 14, 2012

Morning everyone.

99 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

1. 1 99ts
    December 14, 2013 at 9:10 am

So I’m posting on the last thread – and you have it all on R&S

Have a great day Ms Chips

2. 7 99ts
    December 14, 2013 at 9:11 am

The picture of FLOTUS and Bo – eat your heart out Jodi Kantor

December 14, 2013 at 9:15 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, etc and congrats 99ts on #1 :) Happy Saturday and thanks Chips for this fantastic R & S roundup!

4. 11 africa
    December 14, 2013 at 9:34 am

Happy Saturday everyone. Hello Chips, TODers.

December 14, 2013 at 9:35 am
  6. December 14, 2013 at 9:39 am
  7. December 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

Good Morning Chipsticks, TODers…Everyone!

I got here just in time for the Candle Lighting and Moment of Silence with the President and First Lady. Thank you Chipsticks for the link.

We won’t forget the horrible tragedy at Sandy Hook, as well as those that occurred before and since. We have constant reminders — DAILY — of the need for Gun Control Reform. Hopefully, we will soon have the right people in place to make this happen. Yet another reason that 2014 elections are so important.

December 14, 2013 at 9:49 am

I agree swbluega. 2014 is so important. Because if those people on Capital Hill didn’t have the guts to do anything about gun control after 20 kids were gun down, unless we get rid of them, nothing will ever get done. Everyone who refuse to do anything, I don’t know how these people could look at their kids or little Grandkids without thinking of those Sandy Hook kids. It will forever be a disgrace on this Congress.

8. 16 anniebella
    December 14, 2013 at 9:41 am

Bo is one cute dog. I love the pictures you have here this morning. Oh course any time it’s pictures of the normal Black First Family, I love them. That one of POTUS and FLOTUS hands, I really like that one for whatever reason.

9. December 14, 2013 at 9:42 am

Good morning Chips and TOD. Terrific R&S as usual. Love, love, love the picture of the First Lady and Bo.

10. December 14, 2013 at 9:46 am
  11. 20 Layla
    December 14, 2013 at 9:46 am

Got home from work just in time for the moment of silence and reflection. God bless our First Family and all of the victims of gun violence in all parts of the world

12. 21 dotster3
    December 14, 2013 at 9:48 am

What a sad anniversary. I saw a few of the Newtown parents speak recently, the emotion still so understandably raw, unable to speak without breaking down, as they remember their last moments with their precious young children, what they miss the most— the warm hugs, crawling into bed with them for a night time story etc. And I’m sure they can’t believe, as is the case with the rest of the sane population, that nothing was done in response—–nothing was done to try to prevent this tragedy and pain from happening again and again and again. It is shameful that this Congress “does not have the appetite” for any sensible gun control legislation, as Rep. Sanchez inartfully described that dereliction of duty yesterday. What can we do to force this change? Surely the sensible people still outnumber the gun nuts who can mobilize to save lives and the safety and decency in this country.

13. 23 PrayerWarriorforObama
    December 14, 2013 at 9:53 am

Good morning everyone! Have a blessed Saturday.

If a moment of silence is being observed, why are we hearing these obscene clicking noises from photographers? A moment of silence should be just that. I think they need to be schooled on these procedures since they are clamouring to photograph every movement of the first family.

14. 25 Don
    December 14, 2013 at 9:55 am

I have to go to a Christmas party tonight with my fellow government coworkers, I hope someone doesn’t get filled with liquid courage and starts talking politics.

15. 27 anniebella
    December 14, 2013 at 9:56 am

Let’s all keep these Sandy Hook families in our thoughts and prayers. Everyday must be difficult for them, but today must be really, really difficult. Bless them all Jesus, whatever color you are.

16. 29 africa
    December 14, 2013 at 9:58 am
    December 14, 2013 at 9:58 am

Thanks for Rise and Shine, Chips.

Wishing the Newtown families and all families who have suffered loss at the hands of horrific gun violence, a measure of comfort today.

18. 32 africa
    December 14, 2013 at 9:59 am
  19. 33 africa
    December 14, 2013 at 10:01 am

Yes, they have:

December 14, 2013 at 10:01 am
  21. December 14, 2013 at 10:05 am

Good morning all. What a lovely candle lighting in the White House

22. 37 Linda
    December 14, 2013 at 10:09 am

I think this should be the LIE OF THE YEAR.

23. 41 africa
    December 14, 2013 at 10:16 am
  24. 42 Don
    December 14, 2013 at 10:18 am

With the number of people signing up for O-Care, you would have thought they were giving away free power-ball tickets.

25. 44 dotster3
    December 14, 2013 at 10:19 am

A big thank you to these people—–we need a million more to do the same.

26. 45 dotster3
    December 14, 2013 at 10:23 am

Florida just passed a law this week allowing students at state universities to keep guns in their cars on campus. It’s like everyone has gone insane or on a mission to destroy this country.

• 46 Don
      December 14, 2013 at 10:29 am

Nothing good comes out of a weekend of binge drinking, coupled with raging hormones and easy access to guns.

• 48 africa
      December 14, 2013 at 10:29 am

Only when it touches one of the GOPers’ lives personally, will this mean anything to them. Sadly.

• 49 Lovepolitics2008
      December 14, 2013 at 10:45 am

What I absolutely don’t understand is the silence of law enforcement officers. They witness every single day the consequences of all those stupid gun laws. They MUST know that the present situation is absolutely INSANE. WHEN are they going to get organized and SCREAM that ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ??!!!

• 51 Obama Grandmama
      December 14, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I just came home from a visit with my youngest brother saddened due to his ideological purist thoughts about guns. I know it is not a subject we can agree on, for that manner I do not agree with either brother. Both brothers are very much into not wanting any regulations. One brother hunts and fishes and fits the Republican Redneck description of hating all Liberals. He lives in MT. The other brother living next door is the Ron Paul now Rand Paul no government involvement kind that just told me he thinks everyone should have loaded guns in their vehicles and homes to settle matters. He does not own a gun, thankfully. He is intellectual, an architect, and a caring person in most respects. When he spouts these isms I am floored as to where they came from and how he can think that way. When I watch the clips of Republicans and NRA Reps I see my two brothers fitting that mold. Glad I have you to be with.

27. 52 Don
    December 14, 2013 at 10:23 am

With the new budget deal all but signed, President Obama’s grip on the GOP gets tighter and tighter, squeezing the last bit of air out of their balloons. 2016 can’t come fast enough for the GOP.

• 53 Vicki
      December 14, 2013 at 11:34 am

2016 will be no better for the GOP than 2008-2016 was, unless I am missing something, Don. The wind that I see blowing now is a Progressive agenda that will carry on what President Obama has implemented.
      Am I wrong?

• 54 jziglar
        December 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I agree. I really can’t see the GOP winning the presidency in 2016 no matter who the nominee is on the democratic side because the same dynamics will be in play and even if they hold onto the house they will be running on borrowed time because re-districting will happen again, and the demographic trends will only get stronger.

28. 55 dotster3
    December 14, 2013 at 10:26 am
  29. December 14, 2013 at 10:27 am
  30. 57 dotster3
    December 14, 2013 at 10:31 am
  31. 58 Linda
    December 14, 2013 at 10:37 am

People need to be quiet about the NSA.

I just went to a website to make a purchase and when I was entering my data, the site already had our business e-mail address. It just dropped in. I have never made a purchase on that site before.

• 59 carolyn
      December 14, 2013 at 10:49 am

Yes, as I’ve remarked…..it’s not the NSA that bothers me, it’s Amazon and Google…..they know more about me than NSA does…..or even my friends do!

December 14, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Even the pizza guy keeps a record of your address and can repeat it back to you, to confirm where to deliver. It’s now attached to your phone number in their data bank forevermore.

I ordered a delivery yesterday at lunch. My son – who lives down the street – asked me last night to call in an order for them and have it delivered to my house. For some strange reason, they put their Christmas tree where it would block entry through their front door and they didn’t want the pizza guy to have to come around to the back door. When I called for their pizza last night, pizza guy (and, I can assure you, I have no “close relationship” with them) who answered asked me, “Didn’t you already order earlier today?” (For a split second, I wondered if I had called the Once-a-Day Pizza Joint.)

So, yeah, it doesn’t bother me that the NSA knows when I order pizza.

December 14, 2013 at 10:48 am
  33. December 14, 2013 at 10:52 am

Have you seen this beautiful and touching tribute to Nelson Mandela, arranged by a Woolworth’s and a wonderful choir? A beautiful song for a beautiful man.

December 14, 2013 at 11:08 am

Researcher Ted Miller estimates the direct cost of intentional gun injuries at more than $8 billion per year, and the total societal cost at roughly $174 billion per year. A more focused study that concentrated on medical costs concluded that gun injuries lead to 31,000 hospitalizations each year at an annual cost of approximately $2.3 billion. More than 80 percent of that cost is borne by the government through Medicaid and other public assistance programs.

And yet, with all the talk of deficit reduction in Washington, gun control never seems to come up.

35. 67 anniebella
    December 14, 2013 at 11:14 am

Talking about the cameras clicking doing the moment of silence, I think it was disgusting too. I’m just glad none of the WHPC was there, knowing those idiots they would have been yelling out questions to POTUS as he walked out the room.

December 14, 2013 at 11:37 am
  37. 69 whatisworking
    December 14, 2013 at 11:54 am

Good Morning All

I promise to post more later – but for now I have a quick question.

Where does Pete Souza keep photos he takes everyday?

I was fortunate enough to go to a White House holiday party yesterday afternoon. We have lots of photos and I promise to post them in the next few days, but as a short woman in a big crowd I do not have great photos of the President and Mrs obama when they spoke to us. I am hoping Pete does.

The other reason for the delay in posting my photos will be that it takes a while to photoshop out the double chin and dark circles under my eyes :->

Talk to you all soon, thanks for all you do here at the blog and in your communities.

December 14, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I bet Amk’s not crowing today.

• 74 amk for obama
      December 14, 2013 at 12:34 pm

I would be more worried man c catching up with you than me.

And yup. It was a thrashing alright. 6-3 ? h/t man c. Now, Go, Get her.

39. 75 forus50
    December 14, 2013 at 12:36 pm
  40. 79 anniebella
    December 14, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I have never held a gun or fire one off, and I don’t feel like I’ve missed anything. I am so amazed at some people who worship guns like they are worshiping their white Jesus.

• 80 forus50
      December 14, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Exactly. It’s truly bizarre. I have a couple of friends here in Chicago who are otherwise smart and they were laughing about buying raffle tickets for a charity for an older friend of theirs in Indiana who has cancer with one of the raffle prizes being an assault weapon donated by the NRA. Seriously, a person dying of cancer and the prize is an assault weapon used only to kill people. DONATED BY THE NRA. I told them it was sickening that they thought it was either intelligent or funny. WTF.

December 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm

The NRA need to rot in you know where.

41. 82 forus50
    December 14, 2013 at 12:37 pm
    December 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Great news. Daughter unit’s research paper on side effects of a HIV drug accepted by all India scientific committee.

Dang, I should go on a bender every night to start a streak.

43. 91 forus50
    December 14, 2013 at 12:52 pm
  44. 93 HZ
    December 14, 2013 at 12:54 pm

A beautiful and loving congrats to the lovely daughter and proud papa and Mrs. Amk. What a joyful celebration for your brilliant and lovely family, Amk. HZ

45. 95 Melanie
    December 14, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Pete Souza pushing back:))

It WAS open to press. “@danieljinyc: @leslielarson lol! He is not… NOT a journalist! why was this event not open for the press?”— petesouza (@petesouza) December 14, 2013

46. 97 forus50
    December 14, 2013 at 1:18 pm

From what is repeated without facts by the RWNJs, you would never know President Obama’s hometown has had the fewest murders since 1965. Based on population, Chicago doesn’t even qualify for the top 10 cities on murder rate.

47. 98 HZ
    December 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Good Morning/Evening to my Chips and all of my TOD family. And a big many loving (((((((((((((((((((( our handsome Danny)))))))))))))))))))))HZ

My heart is full with so many thoughts for all families across our country who have been robbed of their loving family members from acts of violence with guns. My heart is deeply heavy with thoughts for the smallest of our society, the beautiful little boys and girls at Sandyhook whose lives were taken from us in a matter of minutes.

As a teacher, I think of all of the many hugs that were waiting to be given to them throughout their precious years of schooling by wonderful teachers.
    As a teacher, I think about the many brilliant speeches that were waiting to be given by them to an audience filled with their teachers, parents, and classmates.
    As a teacher, I think about the many beautiful and uplifting school programs that all would have participated in during their years in school.
    As a teacher, I think about all of the parent-teacher conferences their beautiful parents would attend to hear about their precious ones progress in school.
    As a teacher, I think about all of the beautiful little ones wanting to be on the classroom list of Student Helpers in their classes.
    As a teacher, I think about the ones who would be the class presidents and school’s student body presidents.
    As a teacher, I think about the ones who would go on to be in the school’s choir, football teams, tennis teams, track teams, concert band, the Gifted Programs, the Science Clubs, the Marching Bands, the Thespian Society, and all of the Honor Rolls throughout their schooling.
    As a teacher, I think about the ones who would always be their making sure that I had eaten my sacks(for my medical condition). Lovingly.
    As a teacher, I think about the ones who would carefully watch the clock to announce that it was time to do the next task or know exactly what was on my calendar for the week, simply because he/she always kept great notes as I spoke.
    As a teacher, I think of the one who made sure that I was feeling fine that day.
    As a teacher, I think of the one who would ask for a special song to be played as I played music on the piano for them in class.
    As a teacher, I think of the one who would finish his/her work before everyone else, and wanted to know if I needed a task done.
    As a teacher, I think of the phone calls that their parents would receive telling them something good that their little ones had done for the day or week.
    As a teacher, I think of all of the hugs that they would have given me just for being in their presence and recognizing them as the wonderful future of our society, and knowing that I told them ,.”You all can be the best that you can as long as you study hard, be engaged in great activities here, and always believe in yourself.”
    As a teacher, my heart aches for all of these little precious ones from SandyHook.
    As a citizen, I am committed to helping our President do all that he can do to get a Congress to help him make this a better space for all of our precious students in all of our schools across this nation.HZ

48. 99 yardarm756
    December 14, 2013 at 2:02 pm

‘murikkkas in big trouble.