Dec

Night Owl Chat – Traditional Christmas Carols

In the second in my series of Christmas music, a little bit of the traditional. (There are many reasons for the season, but there’s nothing like ancient music to ring it in, even if some of it has a modern ring.)

***

Gabriel’s Message

***

O Holy Night

***

Carol of the Bells

***

The Little Drummer Boy

***

I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In

***

Stille Nacht (Silent Night)

***

O Tannenbaum (O Christmas Tree)

***

And, just to wend you off to sleep…

King’s College Choir, Christmas Carols

***

May the season be blessed and magical, as it was when we were children. More next week. Chat away, night owls.

72 Responses to “Night Owl Chat – Traditional Christmas Carols”

1. 1 Obama Grandmama
    December 18, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Yay!

• December 19, 2013 at 12:12 am

Congrats on 1st OG!!!

Excellent selection, LL. Kings College Choir has been a favorite since I first realized who was producing the magical music that is among the earliest memories I have of Christmas.

2. 3 Obama Grandmama
    December 18, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Hope all of you are enjoying the evening.

3. 4 Obama Grandmama
    December 18, 2013 at 11:02 pm

My Art Guild had our annual Xmas Party today and a good time was had by all. A great potluck buffet followed by the White Elephant gift exchange which is always fun involving pretty involved tactics as the rules always seem to be in flux.LOL

December 18, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Sweet post, LL. Thanks so much.

5. 8 Obama Grandmama
    December 18, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Glad someone else came over.

6. December 18, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Ok all, enjoy the music. Off to get a bit of novel editing done.

7. 10 isonprize
    December 18, 2013 at 11:05 pm

LL, when will you do the NON traditional Christmas Carols? :lol: :lol:

8. 14 Obama Grandmama
    December 18, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Liked the comparison of other Presidents fifth year in office on TRMS after Politico’s painting PBO’s 5th year being the worst of any past President.

• 15 carolyn
      December 18, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Benen also lists all the accomplishments of this year by the president. More than any four years under GWB. Some very positive advancements this year. What is wrong with the Beltway press? Can’t stand that this dark man is brilliant!!!

December 18, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Are you talking about GOPolitico.? You might as well say the GOP wrote up every word Politico wrote.

December 18, 2013 at 11:13 pm

forus50 – This is for your father and for my mother – gone but not forgotten, especially around the Christmas season:

December 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm

And this may be closer to the Latin (Gregorian chant) version your dad would have heard in church:

December 18, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I love this :)

December 19, 2013 at 12:02 am

I do, too. If you close your eyes when they chant the first line, it’s breathtaking! I’ve heard priests in church who don’t even have good singing voices sound like angels singin’ it! Ha!

• 21 Bill R.
        December 19, 2013 at 4:21 am

In the 1960s I attended a Benedictine monastic seminary, Mt. Angle Seminary, in Oregon for 2 1/2 years. We sang the Latin Gregorian chant, including this particular version of the Gloria in the Latin mass. Since I was a student of the piano they placed me in the minor seminary schola (the choir that led the chant- since the entire congregation sang)

• 22 Bill R.
          December 19, 2013 at 4:22 am

Correction, that is Mt. Angel Seminary.

December 19, 2013 at 12:23 pm

That sounds beautiful, Bill R. Too bad you don’t have a recording to share (or do you? !!!). My uncle also attended a seminary for about 2 1/2 years – never got to ask him anything about it, unfortunately. He had a lot of stories but that wasn’t one he ever shared – maybe too far back in time to talk about, for him (maybe late 1930s, early ’40s)!

December 18, 2013 at 11:16 pm

So, you released from the clutches of the cold?

11. 27 carolyn
    December 18, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Thank you LL. . I’ve not heard Gabriel’s Message before. Noone touches English choirs for ethereal, purity of tone.

December 18, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Not to ruin an uplifting post, but it suddenly dawned on me that the dreaded S.E. Cupp did a segment once about her visit to homophobe racist Duck Dynasty world, eating around the table with all of them:

13. December 18, 2013 at 11:41 pm

If you skipped over it, go back and watch and LISTEN to Bing Crosby and David Bowie doing “Little Drummer Boy”. I don’t remember ever seeing or hearing it. SO COOL ON SO MANY LEVELS!!

14. December 18, 2013 at 11:56 pm

Ok, writing is done, and I’m still getting over my cold. See everyone tomorrow.

15. 38 Claire
    December 18, 2013 at 11:59 pm

CONGRATULATIONS Donna Dem! What a joyous blessing! I am so very, very happy for you and your family.

December 19, 2013 at 12:05 am

This is another English boy’s choir which has been featured recently on PBS and will be on Jay Leno tomorrow night. A very nice rendition of “Carol of the Bells” Enjoy! :)

December 19, 2013 at 12:22 am

This is lovely:

18. December 19, 2013 at 12:30 am

He needs lots of praise ;)

December 19, 2013 at 8:14 am

This is one time I don’t agree (yes, I see your wink), even in joke. Boehner has spent years doing nothing that benefits the country AND collecting a good salary for it; now he finally remembers what he is supposed to be doing and I see twitter folks saying tell him thanks. IMO this is another example where GOPs have mucked up standards and expectations. They’ve lowered expectations so much that if we don’t watch it, Boehner may get knighted for doing what he should have been doing months, years ago – spineless wimp! PBO goes about doing all he can to improve the quality of life for everyone and (mostly) all he gets is criticism. I refuse to thank Boehner for doing his job at last.

December 19, 2013 at 8:17 am

Sorry, Bobfr. I read that over and I never knew all of that was lurking inside. This is not directed at you. My latent frustration at the way GOPs and MSM manipulate reality bubbled forth, I guess. Those two groups annoy me big time. My apologies to *you*.

19. 46 mtmarilyn
    December 19, 2013 at 12:30 am

I have been able to listen to all the video’s LL listed and go back and read all the posts I have missed today. Been so busy I hadn’t heard about Baucus yet. I know that many people here in MT had been hoping that Baucus could get thru some tax reforms before he retires next year. Not sure how I feel about him being Ambassador. However I truly trust this President. At least we have a Dem Governor is Baucus quits before next Fall. Will be interesting to see how this goes. Will change alot here in MT.

20. 47 dotster3
    December 19, 2013 at 12:32 am

Party at the WH? My invite got lost in the mail.

21. 50 forus50
    December 19, 2013 at 12:33 am
  22. 51 dotster3
    December 19, 2013 at 12:38 am

Good news if true news

23. 52 forus50
    December 19, 2013 at 12:41 am

Thanks for these great classics LL. I just can’t get enough of the Bing and David Bowie classic. Amazing harmony. I hope you’re feeling better!!

24. December 19, 2013 at 12:45 am

A Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack is the one CD I would take to a desert island. Vince G. rules.

December 19, 2013 at 12:50 am
  26. 56 99ts
    December 19, 2013 at 12:51 am

My question – why is anyone so sure that GOPers “wouldn’t be that stupid”

“My own take on this is that there’s no evidence Christie knew about or ordered the bridge closure. I can’t believe he’d be that stupid or that his pals would be that stupid to involve him directly. ”

27. December 19, 2013 at 1:06 am

Sharing some sublime Benjamin Britten …

… and hope all of you have a fine Thursday.

#FORWARD Together

28. December 19, 2013 at 6:44 am

Goooooooooood Morning Ms Chips…UT….and all of TOD

29. 63 donna dem 4 obama
    December 19, 2013 at 6:47 am

Good Morning TOD!

Okay I slept through all of the celebrating last night but wanted to at least share this one with you all.

30. 70 donna dem 4 obama