Dec

Remarks by the President and First Lady on Obamacare

@FLOTUS: Today, the First Lady joined President Obama to meet with moms who are doing great work to help kids #GetCovered

Remarks by the President and First Lady after Meeting with Moms on the Affordable Care Act

THE PRESIDENT: Michelle and I just had a wonderful conversation with this group of moms and one aunt who have been working tirelessly out there on behalf of our mission, which is to make sure that everybody in America, regardless of where they live, their background, that they are able to get high-quality health care coverage that provides them with financial protection and looks after them when they get sick.

And obviously, over the last couple of months, we had a rocky start with the website and all this. Despite that, we’ve seen hundreds of thousands of people signing up, more and more every single day, in part because we’ve got these wonderful folks like the people we met with today who are out there telling their personal stories — what it’s like when a son gets sick and you have to make sure that not only are you providing the care that they need now, but also making sure that in the future they’re going to be able to get health care because they’ve got a preexisting condition; knowing what it’s like to be in a position where your child is transitioning from college to the workplace and maybe their first job is part-time or they’re working two part-time jobs, so they’re doing everything they can to be responsible but they still can’t get health care on the job.

And I think this conversation really drove home in a very personal way why this is important. Sometimes here in Washington, this is a very abstract conversation or an entirely political conversation. But when you boil it down to stories and people hear what it means to have the security of solid health insurance at an affordable price when you need it, it reminds me at least of why we’ve been fighting so hard to get this done.

And we anticipate that there’s still going to be challenges over the coming months and we’re going to continue to find ways to smooth out this transition and make sure that people know what the Affordable Care Act is actually about. But we’re absolutely confident that the demand is there, the need is there, and the more people learn about the fact that we’ve got 3 million young people who are able to stay on their parents’ plan until they’re 26, or the more they learn about the free preventive care that can avoid illness in the first place, or the more that they hear about the fact that there are no lifetime limits so if you end up having a really severe illness you’re not going to be hurt with a bunch of fine print — the more information they get I think the more satisfied they’re going to be that this was the right thing to do and that it’s been worth the fight.

And the last point I would just make — and I know, Michelle, you want to say a little bit — is what we communicated to the women here is there’s something about moms — (laughter) — that, number one, they’ve got credibility generally; number two, women oftentimes are the ones who are making the health care decisions of the family; number three, moms can tell young people who think they’re invincible that they’re not and prod them to at least get information.

So as much as here in the White House we’re going to continue to promote the Affordable Care Act, as much as we’re going to be working hard with other organizations like AARP and others around the country to make sure people are signing up, nothing can replace the story that Mary Todd is telling in the grocery store to somebody who may be skeptical. And that kind of face-to-face interaction makes this concrete and it describes exactly why this is so important.

So I just want to say to all the women here who have been telling their stories and working with others to make sure that people get good information, we are grateful. It’s a great gift, what you’re doing, and we’re really, really appreciative.

MRS. OBAMA: The words that come to mind for me are peace of mind. And what the Affordable Care Act provides and can provide for so many families out there is peace of mind. This isn’t about politics; it’s about making sure that every family has the peace of mind to know that if a child gets sick, or someone loses a job, or someone has an illness that requires hundreds of thousands of dollars in coverage, that they’re going to have the safety net that they need to make sure that they don’t lose their home, that they aren’t spending the rest of their lives paying off medical fees.

And as Barack said, your stories are powerful. And it’s our job as mothers to make sure that our young people are informed about their “invincibility,” to make sure that other moms and families out there really understand what this law provides and that they can take advantage of it. This is the beauty of it. People have choices. They can go on to the website; they can talk to a navigator; they can learn for themselves what the law means and what it doesn’t mean. And that’s really, really what we want people to do, is educate yourselves. Get that education. Make the choice that’s best for your family, because the options are there.

So we are, again, very grateful to you all. And we urge everyone out there who has a story to share it. And we urge people to reach out. And if they’ve signed up their child, then sign up their friends. If you’ve got grandkids, make it a Christmas treat around the table to talk about a little health care. (Laughter.) Ring in the New Year with new coverage. (Laughter.)

But we can really change the face of health care in this country. We can be a country that focuses on prevention. We can be a country where no one goes bankrupt because they get sick. And that is a worthwhile goal. So thank you all for being a part of this.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you guys.

Q Mrs. Obama, why did you want to be involved in the health care push?

MRS. OBAMA: Because I’m a mom.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you guys. Merry Christmas. Happy New Year.

WH.gov

173 Responses to “Remarks by the President and First Lady on Obamacare”

1. 20 Nena20409
    December 18, 2013 at 6:31 pm

VC with Gold and Silver, Yes. Congrats VC.

2. 28 Nena20409
    December 18, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Since POTUS and Family leave for HI this Friday, I would if there will be a press conference tomorrow or on Friday? Jay did say.

December 18, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Twitter types are speculating there may be one tomorrow, because according to Knoller, PBO has nothing planned for tomorrow. :roll: Also another sleuth pointed out that Jay’s presser is at 2pm tomorrow. :roll: :roll:

3. 32 gn
    December 18, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Terrific video. Amazing to see such wonderful people given such a hard time just for trying to help out others, particularly the poorest and sickest Americans. Many thanks to the President and First Lady for such tireless efforts.

4. 33 99ts
    December 18, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Talking to myself on earlier threads – is there nothing new that I could do – sigh

5. December 18, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I was on the phone, but I think CBS did a negative report from CA about the ACA. I know at least one woman being interviewed was quite negative. Could someone check around and find it?

6. December 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Peace of mind is right! I just got my first invoice for my new health care policy and I am so excited! I started crying when I opened the letter. I can afford to cover myself and my kids. I really just can’t believe it after all these years of struggle and worry.

7. 50 Nena20409
    December 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Jay “Clark Kent” Carney’s WH presser on 12-18-13

Jay once again, started with Visual Stats on the ACA.

December 18, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Grumbling stomach. Hold the fort. BBL.

December 18, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Christmas Carol: “Santa’s Helper” (Sung to the tune of Joy to the World). Artist – unknown, Date: 198_.

VERSE I
    It was Christmas Eve
    Her husband had to leave
    Home by herself
    Like something on a shelf

He went to her house
    She asked him “what’s the matter?”
    He told her “I’m here in place of Santa.”
    She said she’d been waiting all night through
    To get her bag filled with toys and candy too
    So he started to see what he could do

CHORUS:
    He told her: “Santa sent me.”
    “He said have a merry.”
    “He couldn’t make it.”
    “So he sent me to do it.”

He filled her bag with toys and candy
    Made her really happy
    I said he filled her bag with toys and candy
    She had a merry, merry merry, merry merry merry merry merry CHRISTMAS!!!!!

VERSE II:
    She asked him his name
    He told her “It’s SeaFou.”
    “You are a nice guy – you work for Santa too?”
    She said “this is good; the party is nice.”
    She wished that Christmas would come not once, but twice
    She offered him a drink
    That’s when he had to think
    Now was a good time
    To have a jolly lime
    So he told her one more time.

CHORUS:
    He told her: “Santa sent me.”
    “He said have a merry.”
    “He couldn’t make it.”
    “So he sent me to do it.”

He filled her bag with toys and candy
    Made her really happy
    I said he filled her bag with toys and candy
    They had a merry, merry merry merry merry merry merry merry CHRRIIIISSSTMASSSSS!!!!!!!

10. 53 anniebella
    December 18, 2013 at 7:16 pm

POTUS and FLOTUS are a powerful 1-2 punch.

• 54 Layla
      December 18, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Boom Boom indeed!

• 55 Walter
      December 19, 2013 at 8:23 am

All of that camera clicking would try my last nerve. How many pictures of someone sitting in a chair can you take? Oh, and why do picture takers always have to look like they slept in their clothes when they are with the POTUS?

December 18, 2013 at 7:31 pm

12. 60 dotster3
    December 18, 2013 at 7:36 pm

This is so heartwarming—–had me crying—–young fella with Downs Syndrome gets a college acceptance letter….

December 18, 2013 at 7:40 pm

14. 65 dotster3
    December 18, 2013 at 7:45 pm

In non-shocking news….

15. December 18, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Nena,

Saw your comments on the previous thread about the possibility of Brian Schweitzer running for Senate to replace Max Baucus.

A couple of thoughts on this.

1) Max Baucus to China as ambassador? WTH? After a Mandarin-speaker (Huntsman) and an ethnic Chinese (Locke) what will the Chinese make of Baucus? Bizarre choice; must be something I’m missing.

2) I doubt that Schweitzer has any desire at all to go to DC. He’s got a cushy life in one of the most beautiful states in the mainland US. In DC he’d be the equivalent of a Congresscritter from MT, since MT has only 1 rep and 2 Senators.

Some people make the transition from being the state’s top dog (Governor) to being one of 99 others in a self-absorbed bubble that DC is. But I think Schweitzer would chafe as soon as he arrived; he strikes me as the type of person who hates wearing a suit and traditional tie.

Just my opinion. I’m wrong about 99% of the time.

• 69 Nena20409
      December 18, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Living in China with the air pollution can’t be such a desirable job.

Brian S. might do it as a placement holder.

Yes, Brian S has a cushy job. But he is not starving so he might do it.

With Baucus gone, it allows the Dem gov to appoint a Dem.

• December 18, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Schweitzer is testing the waters for a run for POTUS in 2016. He made some very negative remarks about PBO a few days ago, calling him a “corporatist”, so I’m not impressed.

“The question that we have is: Will it be the Hillary that leads the progressives? Or is it the Hillary that says, ‘I’m already going to win the Democratic nomination, and so I can shift hard right on day one?’” he said in an interview with the Weekly Standard published this week. “We can’t afford any more hard right. We had eight years of George Bush. Now we’ve had five years of Obama, [who], I would argue, in many cases has been a corporatist.”

Schweitzer has a low opinion of all the players in Washington, D.C., he told the Register as he walked through the Salt Lake City airport on his way to Denver Monday.

“That’s a town full of frauds,” he said. “All of them.”

• 71 Layla
        December 18, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Cross this guy off the list!

December 18, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I agree with you Layla. He better be careful about who he offend, like we Obama supporters.

• 73 nathkatun7
          December 18, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Yep! He will never get my vote! He is another “holier than thou progressive.” He is in bed with the emoprogs, like David Sirota, who have been as vicious as the tea baggers in attacking President Obama.

• 74 Nena20409
        December 18, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I will Take HIM over any rightie, any old time.

• 75 Layla
          December 18, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Nena, surely they can find someone who is not publicly bashing PBO!!

• 76 Nena20409
            December 18, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I am sure they can. But will the person win in MT?

In MT, there are NOT that many Dems who can win statewide offices.

When some on the left say get rid of this person or that from a Red state……remember that that is ONE Dem less, needed to help retain a Dem majority in Congress. POTUS has a better chance with Dems to get his agenda than with a TBGOPer who would do NOT one thing to lift a finger to help most Americans.

• 77 Nena20409
              December 18, 2013 at 8:03 pm

The More TBGOPers, the more obstacle and the more Americans are hurting.

• December 18, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I understand what you’re saying but I’m speaking from the point of view that he’s interested in running for POTUS. So, NO.

• 84 No Child Left Behind
              December 18, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Excellent point Nena. I’ve learned to tolerate certain Democrats. I will take any blue dog over a moderate republican. But I do dislike the bashing of the POTUS from those that are supposed to support him.

• 85 cookemom
                December 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Any Dem who challenges Hillary, if she runs, will have to run to the left of her. That means maybe dissing PBO in the process cause he and Hillary occupy the same political space. There’s no room in the center, so whoever it is will have to go pretty left to make a move. VP Biden is the only one who can stay center with her cause he has street creds.

• 86 No Child Left Behind
                  December 18, 2013 at 8:33 pm

While I appreciate progressives to push for certain things, I don’t wish a fight between and ultra-lefty and a center-left. Any extreme-lefty would be the equivalent of the crazies of the GOP fringes. We certainly don’t need that!

• 87 No Child Left Behind
                    December 18, 2013 at 8:33 pm

“an ultra-lefty”

• 88 cookemom
                    December 18, 2013 at 8:37 pm

It’s gotta happen though cause whoever runs has to stand apart in the field. So buckle your seat belts this will be a bumpy ride. As long as we they don’t tear each other down for the nationals, it’s just the nature of the beast. We honestly can’t say who would be a serious contender until/unless Hillary and VPB announce their intentions.

• December 18, 2013 at 8:48 pm

2016 will be a doozy, a redux of 2008 (no obvious nominee from either party and zillions wanting the job).

Not gonna start paying attention until about Labor Day 2016. I want to savor our President’s final term as much as possible until then.

But this is a hoot (not that I have any respect at all for Nader, who no doubt tipped the scales toward GWB in 2000):

I am firmly in the anti-PUMA wing of the party, ABC (anybody but Clinton).

I actually thought @Lawrence’s tease about a Dem “running to the left of Hillary in 2016″ meant that his segment after commercial break last night was going to be about Martin O’Malley (not Schweitzer). I really liked his speech that UTA posted on TOD a few weeks ago — he was spot on, and definitely to left of Hillary (sounded more like Biden, whom I adore).

• 91 nathkatun7
                    December 19, 2013 at 4:27 am

I like Governor Brown. I voted for him 5 times. Nevertheless, My #1 choice is VP Joe Biden! Until he says publicly that he is not running in 2016, I refuse to consider any one else. He has more experience than any of his rivals. But more importantly, he has demonstrated that he is a compassionate and caring person. I want him elected so that he can continue to advance the Obama-Biden policies.

• 92 nathkatun7
          December 18, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Look, the Democratic party is supposed to be a family. Airing family disagreements in public is a no no for me. In my humble opinion, going around bashing President Obama enables the right wingers. Obviously, if Brian Schweitzer is the last man standing when the Democratic primaries are over I too will cover my nose and vote for him over a right wing GOP nominee. But I will not expend any energy or financial contribution to support any Democrat who has been undermining President Obama. I’ve yet to hear any thing positive from Brian Schweitzer that recognizes the President’s accomplishments given the vicious political environment that he has faced from day one of his presidency. As far as I am concerned, any self-serving Democrat who goes around unfairly bashing President Obama looses my respect and my support. That’s just my bottom line!

• 93 HZ
            December 19, 2013 at 12:12 am

“As far as I am concerned, any self-serving Democrat who goes around unfairly bashing President Obama looses my respect and support. That’s just my bottom line!”

Make that two, nath. Thank you.HZ

• 94 nathkatun7
              December 19, 2013 at 4:19 am

HZ, I am so proud and blessed to be in your company! I am sick and tired of these “holier than thou Democrats” who think President Obama can wave a magical wand and make Republicans, and conservative blue dog Democrats in Red States, support 100% of the “holier than thou” progressive agenda.

• December 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm

@Lawrence showed this on his show last night.

I was shocked to hear Schweitzer diss our President like that.

I respected Schweitzer before seeing that.

While I personally would never have a gun (poor eyesight, bad aim and a weakling) I respect rural folk who do. Wish there could be different rules between “within city limits” and outside of city limits.

• 96 Lovepolitics2008
        December 18, 2013 at 8:48 pm

He should take a look at President Obama’s approval among democrats, and liberals even.

President Obama is NOT a corporatist. He is simply very patient and pragmatic. And with an economy to rebuild from disaster, he hasn’t had the luxury of time, nor the luxury of ideological “purity”. He’s had to prevent the worst and find immediate solutions in a very difficult political context.

Schweitzer can make an argument if he wants about President Obama’s overall strategy of conciliation over confrontation, but he better watch his words. This accusation of “corporatism” towards a president who has risked his presidency to bring health care to all americans, especially the more vulnerable… is pretty pathetic. Political spinning and pandering at its worst. Trying to seduce the emoleft…

Hey Schweitzer, just take some lessons from Elisabeth Warren. In her position of a somewhat safe seat, she can push for a more liberal agenda, but she’s always respectful of the president. She knows the president is on the right side of things most of the time, and she witnesses everyday what kind of Congress President Obama is stuck with.

• 98 cookemom
          December 18, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I’m wondering why Schweitzer didn’t go for the Senate. It seems that would have been a logical next step for him. It’s not like he’s a household name, nor come from a state of high political recognition. As a matter of fact, wouldn’t it have been easier for him to replace Baukus? Can’t he be appointed to the Senate now that Baucus has been appointed to some ambassadorship?

I like what Schweitzer said at the conventions, where he never let on that he felt PBO was a corporatist, which is why they will say anything to establish themselves to the base for the primaries.

December 18, 2013 at 9:47 pm

He said it offhandedly in an interview, but the weirdest comment from Schweitzer was that running for president is on his “bucket list.”

Well, now, there’s a good enough reason for anything, eh? How about serving the people, or … anything but the gruesome “because I deserve it” bucket list!

• 100 Lovepolitics2008
        December 18, 2013 at 9:55 pm

“frauds” is hyperbole. Good grief, do we have another Grayson on our hands ?

In 2008, President Obama chastised Washington, but as a SYSTEM. He said that many were putting politics over people, and the next election over the next generation. He proposed better values, of civility and community. He never said that all his colleagues were “frauds, all of them”.

He was frank, honest. But NEVER MEAN. And used aspirational language, instead of mean-spirited, diminishing language. Said that he wishes for better POLITICS.

• 101 mtmarilyn
      December 18, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Nena and Arapaho415Seno, Schweitzer won’t run, if he does he won’t be serious. I wouldn’t vote for him, too many reasons to go into now. I am glad he was our governor, he would make a good ambassador, not China. Baucus, I am sure will become a lobbyist. Can’t stand him in anything. He isn’t well liked in MT although he has had alot of power. Tester is the one I really like. He is a moderate, because he has to be from this purple state. Not sure yet who will be running for Senator besides Daines who is currently our Republican Congressperson. Who I pray doesn’t win. Not sure yet who I will be working for for both Senator and Congressperson. I know next year is very important for us here in MT. MT will be a major roll in next years election.

December 18, 2013 at 8:06 pm

• 103 nathkatun7
      December 18, 2013 at 11:42 pm

I admire and highly respect SoS, John Kerry! But I also know that he works on behalf of the President! Whatever foreign policy initiatives he embarks on he does so at the request and with approval of President Obama. Yet Friedman never once gave any credit or recognition that Secretary Kerry is carrying out President Obama’s foreign policy. Reading his piece leaves the impression that this is all about John Kerry’s foreign policy and got very little to do with President Obama. I bet you if there are any breakthroughs on both the Iran and Israeli/Palestine issues, the media will give all the credit to John Kerry, while telling us that President Obama is just lucky to have a brilliant SoS.

• 104 HZ
        December 19, 2013 at 12:26 am

Nath, the likes of Friedman are the first to always put out this kind of crap to try and muddy the water for the non-engaged in a sound and positive manner dealing with our foreign policy, especially President Obama’s foreign policies. Friedman, of all people know that SOS, Kerry carries out President’s foreign policy, but these guys just will not and cannot give our brilliant president his credit. However, I am so happy to know that we know better.

This is such a hateful pool of writers these days who would rather continue to write negatives and give credit to the other guy rather than give due credit to the brilliant working of the great break throughs initiated by President Obama. They know that SOS Kerry(and I love SOS Kerry for many years) is carrying out his orders from President Obama. But remember the black man in the Oval Office cannot not think on his own and come up with running a nation and help run the world. No way. That is the bottom line. HZ

17. 110 forus50
    December 18, 2013 at 8:28 pm

OT but this was In the news today; big news for Catholics in St. Paul. This guy – the Archbishop of St. Paul is sickening. My Dad was a practicing Catholic his ENTIRE life – all 89 years. Before he passed away in 2005 he requested that his Mass be in Latin; like he grew up with and attended for 3/4 of his life. The Pope permits priests to say the Mass in Latin. This *#*#* denied my Dad his last wish. My huge family and my our friends and even my boss wrote and called his office. He refused. So my Dad ended up getting buried without a Mass until one could be said the following day (after he was buried) in another church in another town that we all went to. And the Church wonders why they have decreasing church attendance every year….

• 111 Layla
      December 18, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Heartbreaking story forus Karma is a flipping bitch though!!!!

• 112 No Child Left Behind
      December 18, 2013 at 8:39 pm

These hypocrites should be caught very early. But better late than never.

• December 18, 2013 at 8:46 pm

OMG, that is unforgivably cruel. May your father rest in peace.

• 115 forus50
        December 18, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Yeah, it really was unforgivable. Here’s something that was written about it.

…After raising twelve children and who knows how many flocks of turkeys, and after threading miles of wire though several hundred thousand beads, he was quite unceremoniously called home to the God he’d well served. He died like he’d lived—without making a fuss. To the very end he asked nothing of anyone, except, that is, for one final request: “Bury me in the old way, with the old Latin Mass that I learned to love when I was a boy.”

Who could refuse such a simple request from one so guileless, and just moments from death? For that matter, who’d even consider refusing it, except, perhaps, a bully with an axe to grind.

Nevertheless, someone did refuse the last request of Allen Cain. Never mind that, even on death row, the final wish of the most hardened criminal is respected; old Mr. Cain’s was not. As if all the sexual abuse cover-ups weren’t enough, yet another scandal involving an American Catholic bishop was brewing.

A day after Mr. Cain had passed, his son, Colin Cain (a trusted board member at a Catholic parish in So. St. Paul) called the Murdock parish priest and informed him of his father’s last request. Because it was the church where Mr. Cain had been baptized, married his bride, been a life-long parishioner, dropped who knows how many thousands of dollars into the collection basket, Sacred Heart Church was the natural choice for his funeral.

The pastor, or “Sacramental Minister” as he’s now called in the Parish Directory, said “no problem,” but permission would have to be obtained from the Most Reverend John C. Nienstedt, Bishop of New Ulm.

This is where the nightmare began.

With the help and close cooperation of a sympathetic priest in St. Paul, Colin Cain called the Vicar for the Diocese of New Ulm, asking to speak to Bishop Nienstedt. The Vicar stated that the Bishop was on retreat. Could the Vicar himself, then, perhaps expedite the old gentleman’s deathbed request? He was sympathetic but said that the Bishop does not grant permission for those.

“But,” the son pleaded, “the pastor has given his permission and we have two priests who are willing to say the Mass.”
        ///
        full story here: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1351295/posts

• December 18, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Wow, I can’t fathom what your family went through. It’s devastating enough to experience the loss but then to have to deal with a betrayal by his church……unconscionable.

• December 18, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Agree with Meta, unforgivably cruel.

I’m not Catholic, have only been in a Catholic church twice in my life, but where is the love of all God’s children on display when you’re homophobic and deny last wishes of a member of your flock?

So very sorry of what your family went through at such a trying time in your lives.

What percentage of homophobes turn out to be gay themselves? I’d wager a high percentage, since most people think it’s none of their business as to what goes on in the bedrooms of consenting adults.

December 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I’m so very sorry to hear that, forus50!

Anybody else notice the timing of a lot of these “step downs” in the news this month, here and abroad, just as more news is also being spread about the humble, decent message of Pope Francis? I’m thinking he has a big list of folks he’s asking to step down, for one reason or another, both at Vatican City and around the world, and he’s been hittin’ his speed dial.

And I’m thinking this Pope would have said the Mass in Latin for your sweet father.

• 119 forus50
        December 18, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Thanks so much jb. Yes, I did notice the timing, interesting indeed. Pope Francis is showing those faux Catholics how to be Christian and it isn’t just about showing up at church once a week. In fact, there’s very little “Christian” about that as that’s just to save your own soul, or so they preach.

December 18, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Sounds as though your Dad was the real thing! My sweet mother also, coincidentally, passed away in 2005. Seems like yesterday, doesn’t it?

• 121 nathkatun7
      December 19, 2013 at 12:09 am

It never fails! Most people who pretend to be “holier than thou”always turn out to be shameless hypocrites!

• 122 HZ
        December 19, 2013 at 12:35 am

Forus50, this is a heartbreaking story. I am so sadden by it. What hypocrites indeed. I want peace to flow to you and your family. There was no need for such actions to bring on so much pain to you and your family. The holier than thou space takers are the most doers of ugly and hateful acts in others space. It is shameful.

(((((((((((( May your thoughts receive a channel of sweetness always about your dad.))))))))))))))))) Lovingly sent your way from HZ

December 18, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Ambulance chaser Anderson Cooper has on Greenwald, who mumbled something about the WH panel on the NSA. Then other guest Jeffrey Toobin said, “I think I’m in uncharacteristic agreement with Glenn, but … ” Then I switched the channel.

Evenin’, TODland!

December 18, 2013 at 8:39 pm

And I noticed both Cooper and Greenwald have the same thin mouths, which part a little when they’re not speaking like they’re either thinking of the pout they’ll use in their next selfie for FB or are both the bottom feedin’ mouth breathin’ fools I think they are, because neither makes any sense to me.

And I just made myself laugh, which can’t hurt.

End of my little “report.”

• 125 Layla
        December 18, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Yeah!! and their beady little eyes….and their ears! Something is not right! lol

• 127 forus50
        December 18, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Now THAT is a report. LMAO!

• 129 No Child Left Behind
        December 18, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Jacqueline, I am laughing with you. It’s funny. Well, the sight of those two is hilarious.

December 18, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I’ve tried to like Anderson Cooper, because he’s the eccentric (and I like eccentrics) Gloria Vanderbilt’s son – the son of “Poor Little Rich Girl” as she was once known – but he’s appalling.

• 131 No Child Left Behind
            December 18, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I used to think that I liked him too, until I realized that he was a snake with a smirk.

December 18, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Think I started disliking him when he misreported the coal mining fatalities that one time, on camera, which is also the time I realized he’s an ambulance chaser ready to insert himself into any hot story, making himself the story. Bad Journalism 101. Affluenza 101.

• December 18, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Interesting observations about Anderson Cooper.

My sense is that he has a high “Q” quotient, meaning he’s accepted favorably by viewers. To mean he comes across as vulnerable, someone that older women viewers would want to coddle and protect. And very sad that his (older?) brother committed suicide at a young age.

But JO’B, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head.

Cannot tolerate GG and the whiny dudebros that “support” him because are so full of themselves they think their forays on the internet (or worst yet, phone calls) could possibly be of interest to someone they don’t know.

These emoPutins have no idea what a surveillance state really is. This made me gag this morning:

December 18, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Yes, I, too, was very sad that he and his mother experienced the suicide of his brother – not to mention how his poor brother would have been suffering to have done that. I heard Anderson describe the incident once, and it was gut-wrenching.

And that Snowden-on-a-bus tweet is AWFUL. How can they be so foolish as to think the way he did what he did was right?

• December 18, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Snidddddddddddely Whiplash!

• 136 nathkatun7
        December 19, 2013 at 12:16 am

JOB, You are hilarious! I loved your report. When folks have nothing profound to say, it helps to focus on the way they look and act because that may give you a clue on their real personality.

December 19, 2013 at 12:27 am

Ha ha ha! I agree. Especially when you can’t stand listening to them. (Of course, I try not to focus on picking apart anybody’s “looks” in real life – just in politics.)

19. 138 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 18, 2013 at 8:36 pm

20. 140 Dudette
    December 18, 2013 at 8:54 pm

21. 142 dotster3
    December 18, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Yikes! Andrea Mitchell is Tamron’s “beloved friend”. And she said she’s “fun”! Not a word that comes to my mind when I think of Andrea. Not even close.

22. December 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm

One last Jerry Brown tweet.

While I cannot tolerate upChuck, the “religion” description for Gov Brown’s dog sounds a lot like Jerry Brown himself.

While everyone on TOD is singing praise to Pope Francis, don’t forget that Jerry Brown is a Jesuit and the primary reason for his being labeled “Gov Moonbeam” in the 1970s was because of his frugal nature, empathy for those who didn’t grow up in a Gov Mansion or equivalent (yes, looking at the insufferable Romney clan — with the possible exception of the doctor son) and concern about “spaceship earth.”

December 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Karma. That Duck Dynasty homophobe Phil Robertson has been suspended from his show. Of course, if there’s money to be made, he’ll be back.

24. 166 Bill R.
    December 18, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I’ve given periodic updates on my involvement in the enrollment effort with the ACA here in Oregon through Cover Oregon. I am presently a certified enrollment assister and doing outreach and education with the County Health Dept. here in Salem, Oregon. Yesterday evening I met with the county program Psychiatric Crisis Center. They handle all mental health crisis and walk -in emergencies in our area, including consultations with police, physicians, and hospitals. Their data says that over 50% of the clients they see have no medical coverage. The vast majority of those uncovered would qualify for the Oregon Health Plan under the expanded Medicaid provision of the ACA. We have a tentative plan for me to begin seeing clients next month from their program for enrollment into the Oregon Health Plan. After Jan. 1, when expanded Medicaid starts, any enrollments in OHP will cover medical bills retroactively for 90 days to Jan. 1. So the hope is that this will be a big help to their clients, many of whom are totally indigent, and to the mental health system to have ongoing treatment covered for these people. I am a retired mental health counselor and worked for 30 years in the public mental health sector here in Oregon in both rural and big city agencies, including a number of years as a crisis services coordinator, a commitment investigator, and state hospital liaison, so these clients and their symptoms will not be unfamiliar to me. So I’m hoping this will be the beginning of an expanding effort to begin getting the mentally ill covered and into treatment.

December 18, 2013 at 9:34 pm

here has been much misinformation and factual inaccuracy in the reporting on the charges against Devyani Khobragade. It is important to correct these inaccuracies because they are misleading people and creating an inflammatory atmosphere on an unfounded basis. Although I am quite limited in my role as a prosecutor in what I can say, which in many ways constrains my ability here to explain the case to the extent I would like, I can nevertheless make sure the public record is clearer than it has been thus far.

First, Ms. Khobragade was charged based on conduct, as is alleged in the Complaint, that shows she clearly tried to evade U.S. law designed to protect from exploitation the domestic employees of diplomats and consular officers. Not only did she try to evade the law, but as further alleged, she caused the victim and her spouse to attest to false documents and be a part of her scheme to lie to U.S. government officials. So it is alleged not merely that she sought to evade the law, but that she affirmatively created false documents and went ahead with lying to the U.S. government about what she was doing. One wonders whether any government would not take action regarding false documents being submitted to it in order to bring immigrants into the country. One wonders even more pointedly whether any government would not take action regarding that alleged conduct where the purpose of the scheme was to unfairly treat a domestic worker in ways that violate the law. And one wonders why there is so much outrage about the alleged treatment of the Indian national accused of perpetrating these acts, but precious little outrage about the alleged treatment of the Indian victim and her spouse?

………………………..//

December 18, 2013 at 9:34 pm

December 18, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Important read about healthcare and this little factoid : 20 million w/ employer-sponsored health care would have lost coverage under McCain’s 2008 plan. Pass this around. H/t LOLGOP

Bill…thank you for all you do to make life better and more secure and stable for the people of Oregon:) Angel :)

28. 173 HZ
    December 19, 2013 at 12:46 am

Bill R., thank you for all that you do!!!!HZ