Dec

2013: Meta’s Most Memorable Moments

by Meta

There are so very many important events we’ve witnessed with President Obama in 2013. The following choices are only some of the many highlights for me, moments large and small.

1 Inauguration 2013

We went through many emotions throughout the 2012 campaign.  There was the agony, the relief, the joy: A SECOND TERM.  Then there was the rhetorical power of his inauguration speech – “Faith in America’s Future” – where he spoke optimistically about transformation: gender equality, gay marriage, the economy and the environment.  He reached back and reminded us of our troubled history and showed us where we might go as a grateful nation.  Powerful and direct, it was full of his characteristic sense of hope and opportunity.  Once again President Obama shows us the depth of his faith – his faith in us and in our nation, a faith that carries him through day in and day out.

“We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths—that all of us are created equal—is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall.”

“Our journey is not complete until all our children, from the streets of Detroit to the hills of Appalachia, to the quiet lanes of Newtown know that they are cared for and cherished and always safe from harm.”

“The commitments we make to each other—through Medicare, and Medicaid, and Social Security—these things do not sap our initiative; they strengthen us. They do not make us a nation of takers; they free us to take the risks that make this country great.”

2 Rosa Parks: The Touch

Through the great moral and universal arc of justice, PBO & Rosa Parks connect at the unveiling of her statue in the Capitol Rotunda.  Another iconic full circle moment for the civil rights movement.

3 PBO in Jerusalem

Despite the incessant undermining tactics and lack of cooperation from Prime Minister Netanyahu, President Obama deeply recognizes the urgency of keeping Israel from drifting toward isolation and endless strife.  His trip to Israel was full of good will and strategic thinking, fully matched by actions and deeds.

4 Jason Collins

President Obama took a moment to honor Jason Collins by calling him and saying he “couldn’t be prouder of him” for coming out as gay man while playing in a major sports league.  This moment once again signaled his commitment to equality under the law.   Out of many, we are one.

5 Statement on Trayvon Martin

Once again, PBO stands up and speaks out for justice and fairness in a way that cuts to the heart of the matter: the pain and suffering that the African American community continually feels through the lens of history and experience.  Heartbreaking and sobering, he speaks directly to the American people to express his mind, heart and soul.

6 Trip to Africa

Robben Island.  There really are no words to describe the raw emotional power at the moment of grappling with this period of cruel history in Nelson Mandela’s life.  The photos show us how much it meant to President Obama to connect this piece of the puzzle of one of his most important mentors.

7 Republican shutdown

Topped out on obstructionist RWNJ extortion tactics that have been pervasive throughout his Presidency, PBO calls out the GOP for shutting down the government and harming the American people, jeopardizing national security and stalling the economy.

“Probably nothing has done more damage to America’s credibility in the world, our standing with other countries, than the spectacle we’ve seen over the last several weeks.”

8 Sandy Hook

Who can forget the raw emotion of the President’s response to the slaughter of innocent children and school administrators at Sandy Hook Elementary?  Our President profoundly and eloquently epitomizes with conscience and grace the pain that shocked and seared our nation.  No artifice or pretense, just straight from the heart.

9 PBO visits Fast for Families immigration activists on the mall

The President and First Lady of the United States stepped outside the White House to extend their hand of support to families who are fasting for immigration reform.  This is another concrete action that illustrates President Obama’s commitment to justice, equality and a movement that will have significant impact on our nation for decades to come.

10 Speech at Madiba’s funeral

It’s hard to convey the love and the spirit in PBO’s voice as he addressed South African mourners and the international community at Madiba’s funeral.  This was a speech for all time from a man of the world.

Click ….

…. in the sidebar top right to read all our ‘Most Memorable Moments’ posts, will be adding more over the next few days.

138 Responses to “2013: Meta’s Most Memorable Moments”

1. 5 Nena20409
    December 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm

New post, Yes!
    Congrats Don on your Gold Medal.

2. December 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Meta, this is just a beautiful post, so many wonderful memories, loved your personal notes on each. Thank you sooooo much for this.

• December 23, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Thank YOU, dear Chips, for dreaming up this idea. I think it’s important for all of us to remember and appreciate all that has happened in the last year, and hearing from the different perspectives of TODers is just brilliant. THANK YOU.

3. 10 susanne
    December 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm

great list, meta. thanks for the memories. all these tod favorites are shaking me up today. what a year it has been!

4. 11 Dudette
    December 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Excellent list! Thanks Meta! Thanks Chips!

5. December 23, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Nil-MFing-nil. If I had any hair I’d tear it out.

6. December 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Great list, meta. Gave me an idea for something else to add to my list.

December 23, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Beautiful, meta:) Just perfect. Don…congrats on your 1st place finish:)

8. 16 Nena20409
    December 23, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Perhaps the lazy media types should visit TOD and just get a Nose Test of What Pres BARACK has been COOKING ;) all in 2013.

But that would be Journalism…… :shock: :roll: :lol: What pray tell is Journalism they ask?

December 23, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Great list, Meta.

December 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm

WOW, excellent list! I enjoyed reading this list meta – thanks for sharing with us :)

11. 24 anniebella
    December 23, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Clarence Page is a fan of Duck Dynasty. I knew their was some season I never really like that guy.

12. 29 cookemom
    December 23, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Great top 10 Meta! How about your top ten favorite dishes, along with recipes you’re willing to share?> #mmm…mmmgood

13. 33 No Child Left Behind
    December 23, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Meta, another great compilation of so dear memories. Thank you!

14. 34 collegekay
    December 23, 2013 at 6:30 pm

This is an excellent list. I love the one with the Rosa Parks.

15. December 23, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Thank you so much, good people! I really appreciate the moments we’ve all shared together here on this blog in 2013. All in celebration of our brilliant President and the wonderful FLOTUS.

16. December 23, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Good evening TOD. Today was a very special day for me as I was involved in enrolling people in the ACA/Obamacare on this deadline date.

Two weeks ago I became a Certified Counselor after doing the requisite course and passing the exams. I was volunteering before that,

but this certification allows me to work with people directly in the enrollment process. Today I can tell you that the computer lines were

overwhelmed with the load of people trying to register. We kept getting the message that due to high demand we would have to keep trying

to get on. To me that was a good thing. People were signing up. Tears came to my eyes sometimes when I saw how desperate and grateful

the people who came into our office were. Some of them were tearing up when they realized that they had Health Care even though they

had little or no income. At those times I just said a silent prayer asking again (for the millionth time) for a special BLESSING for our

President Obama who has worked so hard and taken so much flack to provide Health Insurance for all. I feel blessed to be a part of this

and will continue to do my part to help this wonderful President help the people of this country. Love you all fellow Obama supporters.

17. December 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Meta this is a great list . Thank you for this trip down memory lane. We love our President…very much.

18. December 23, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Great Memories Meta. It was a very good year.
    There was also a great Global Cookbook out this year. ;)

19. December 23, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Only about seven hours until you can start tracking Santa.

20. 56 japa21
    December 23, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Good evening. I had to leave work early as the wife called sicker than a dog and I had to get her some medicine, etc.

I missed the Arsenal Chelsea outcome. Is everybody happy with the result?

Also, I did get some RWNJ’s responding to my tweets about the media earlier, as usual talking about how the media kisses PBO’s posterior they love him so much. Not worth responding to, so I ignore them.

I get a little tired of all the noise about how much of a failure this year has been for PBO and these posts with the memorable moments shows just how wrong that concept is. Unfortunately, I would have to do 20 of the following tweets, with different accomplishments in each one, just to come close to listing them all.

21. 60 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm

22. 61 sherijr
    December 23, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I am completely enjoying these ‘memorable moments’. Thank you all- amk, meta, collegekay and smartypants… and thank you
    Chips.

• December 23, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Loving them too sherijr, and just to repeat my invitation – anyone who would like to have their memories posted at TOD, just email them to me at theobamadiary@gmail.com. Thank you!

• 63 japa21
        December 23, 2013 at 7:15 pm

At my age, I am lucky if I am able to remember yesterday, so I won’t be sending any in. Suffice to say that every day has brought something to feel good about with this President, his family and his administration. Even when events have not necessarily been going the way we all would like, he and they, have shown us by example how to deal with negativity, crises and, as is the case with the GOP, idiots.

• 67 sherijr
        December 23, 2013 at 7:24 pm

thanks Chips :)

23. 88 Bill R.
    December 23, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Totally wonderful post, with wonderful remembrance of the greatness and tenderness of the man and his family who inspire us daily.

24. 90 Nena20409
    December 23, 2013 at 7:33 pm

The Interview Steve Harvey did with POTUS……did I miss it when it was posted here?

POTUS has not has had many TOWN HALL meetings with folks in 2013. I hope that he does in 2014. That could be the best way, one of the best ways, to skip the lazy, lame media.

• December 23, 2013 at 7:39 pm

2014 is an IMPORTANT election year, so the possibilities of seeing our President campaigning for strategic candidates seems endless. :)

Looking forward to Dems having full control of House and Senate next year at this time of year, a reason to be grateful on Thanksgiving, and will make for a truly Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• 92 Carole
      December 23, 2013 at 9:22 pm

The President’s press conference on Friday caused the Steve Harvey Show to be delayed. My local station cut to it about half way through the interview. The interview with Steve Harvey will be reshown on this Friday, Dec 27

25. December 23, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Meta,

Love your list, love all the retrospectives.

It seems so much has happened since that wonderful day, Jan 21, 2009. But mostly not (or minimally) reported by the DC beltway MSM.

Saw Chris Matthews last Friday, and he had (for him) a thoughtful show.

He wrapped up his segment discussing his fav films this year with the WaPo film critic. They both RAVED about “The Butler” and the stellar performances.

The film isn’t specifically about President Obama, but it sounds historic to me. Am rooting for “The Butler” for this year’s Academy Awards. I’d like to think that awarding this film “Best Picture” would be a great way of acknowledging the time in history when it was released.

Disclosure: I haven’t seen the film, but was inspired by Matthews and the WaPo film critic.

26. December 23, 2013 at 7:36 pm

27. 127 Dakota
    December 23, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Hello My TOD Family.

It seems like it’s been ages since I’ve posted. I’ve been training a new person and no way for me to sneak in a post. I’ve got tomorrow and Christmas off, so I thought I’d get a head start on making the gumbo tonight. Hubby forgot to take stuff out of the freezer so I’m off schedule already. No biggie…I’ve got a glass of Cabernet and some great Christmas music going, so all is well.

I’m so happy that the First Family is on vacation relaxing and enjoying the beauty that is Hawaii. I was getting a little concerned when I saw POTUS on the Steve Harvey show. I thought he looked a little thin and pale. I reminded myself he was on his way to relax and rejuvenate. I really liked the interview, but if you watched the program through to the end, you will see one of the most hilarious 12 days of Christmas ever!

Just loving the retrospectives so much. Just perfect.

December 23, 2013 at 9:53 pm

Meta – Everything about your “most memorable moments” touched my heart, as I’m sure it touched everyone else’s hearts. Thanks, beauty!

29. 135 jackiegrumbacher
    December 23, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Great memorable moments, meta. I’m so very glad you included the president’s second inaugural. That speech and its call for citizenship has really stuck with me. The whole speech was a true masterpiece.

30. 137 nathkatun7
    December 24, 2013 at 2:09 am

Wow, Meta! Just Wow! You selected some of my greatest memorable moments! I hope all of you young people plan on writing the history of the Obama presidency to make sure that the negative propaganda being peddled by the so called mainstream media does not go unchallenged! Thank you so much, Meta, for leading us back to this fabulous journey down memory lane!