Dec

2013: JER’s Most Memorable Moments

by JER

Remarks by the President and the Vice President on Gun Violence – January 16, 2013

“For the men and women in big cities and small towns who fall victim to senseless violence each and every day. For all the Americans who are counting on us to keep them safe from harm. Let’s do the right thing. Let’s do the right thing for them, and for this country that we love so much.”

President on Comprehensive Immigration Reform – January 29, 2013

” It’s really important for us to remember our history. Unless you’re one of the first Americans, a Native American, you came from someplace else. Somebody brought you.”

President at Dedication of Statue Honoring Rosa Parks – February 27, 2013

“Rosa Parks tell us there’s always something we can do. She tells us that we all have responsibilities, to ourselves and to one another. She reminds us that this is how change happens – not mainly through the exploits of the famous and the powerful, but through the countless acts of often anonymous courage and kindness and fellow feeling and responsibility that continually, stubbornly, expand our conception of justice – our conception of what is possible.”

Signing of the Violence Against Women Act – March 07, 2013

“And we’ve made incredible progress since 1994. But we cannot let up – not when domestic violence still kills three women a day. Not when one in five women will be a victim of rape in their lifetime. Not when one in three women is abused by a partner. So I promise you – not just as your President, but as a son, and a husband, and a father – I’m going to keep at this.”

150th Anniversary of the National Academy of Sciences – April 29, 2013

“With the pace of technological innovation today, we can’t afford to stand still for a year or two years or three years. We’ve got to seize every opportunity we have to stay ahead.  And we can’t let other countries win the race for ideas and technology of the future.”

Remarks by the President at Morehouse College Commencement Ceremony May 19, 2013

“Some of you may be headed to medical school to become doctors. But make sure you heal folks in underserved communities who really need it, too. For generations, certain groups in this country – especially African Americans – have been desperate in need of access to quality, affordable health care. And as a society, we’re finally beginning to change that.”

Remarks by the President on Climate Change –  June 25, 2013

The 12 warmest years in recorded history have all come in the last 15 years … Here at home, 2012 was the warmest year in our history ….

“I refuse to condemn your generation and future generations to a planet that’s beyond fixing ….. So it’s a good start. But the reason we’re all here in the heat today is because we know we’ve got more to do…”.

Remarks by the President on the Economy — Knox College, Galesburg, IL  – July 24, 2013

“This growing inequality not just of result, inequality of opportunity – this growing inequality is not just morally wrong, it’s bad economics.  Because when middle-class families have less to spend, guess what, businesses have fewer consumers. When wealth concentrates at the very top, it can inflate unstable bubbles that threaten the economy.

When the rungs on the ladder of opportunity grow farther and farther apart, it undermines the very essence of America – that idea that if you work hard you can make it here.”

Remarks by the President on College Affordability, Syracuse NY – August 22, 2013

“Michelle and I, we didn’t come from rich folks. We did not come from privileged backgrounds. So we’re only where we are today because scholarships and student loans gave us a shot at a good education. And we know a little bit about paying back student loans, because we each graduated from college and law school with a mountain of debt. And even with good jobs, I didn’t pay it off and she didn’t pay off her loans until I was almost a U.S. senator. I was in my 40s.”

Remarks by the President on the Affordable Care Act –  September 26, 2013

“But despite all the obstacles, the Affordable Care Act passed both houses of Congress. I signed it into law. The Supreme Court ruled it constitutional. Republicans in Congress have now voted more than 40 times to undermine or repeal it. Their candidate for president ran on a platform to repeal it. And at every step, they’ve been unsuccessful.”

Remarks by the President at FEMA Headquarters – October 07, 2013

“The second thing Congress needs to do is to raise the debt ceiling next week so the Treasury can pay the bills that Congress has already spent. That’s what most Americans do if they buy something – if they buy a car or if they buy a house, if they put something on a credit card, they understand they’ve got to pay the bills.”

Remarks by the President on the Economy — DreamWorks – November 26, 2013

“Entertainment is one of America’s biggest exports. And every day, you sell a product that’s made in America to the rest of the world. Every time somebody buys movie tickets, or DVDs, or distribution rights to a film, some of that money goes back to the local economy right here.”

Remarks by the President on the Affordable Care Act – December 03, 2013

“Look, I’ve always said I will work with anybody to implement and improve this law effectively.  If you’ve got good ideas, bring them to me.  Let’s go.  But we’re not repealing it as long as I’m President and I want everybody to be clear about that.”

89 Responses to “2013: JER’s Most Memorable Moments”

1. 1 Obama Grandmama
    December 24, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Merry Xmas

December 24, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Greetings, OG! :grin: Very good to see *you* up on the podium, as for a moment there I thought CC was up to her tricks again!

December 24, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Cheated again?

3. December 24, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Thank you soooooooo much JER, a terrific collection of speech extracts, you’ve reminded me of how much I’d forgotten what happened in 2013. Thank you again!

4. 16 Obama Grandmama
    December 24, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Getting the Xmas Eve meal ready for my brother. He is coming at noon and on the phone awhile ago he said, “What are you doing?” Snarky me says, “What do you think?” He says, “Oh, putting out the presents!” Me, “That and preparing the meal.” Why does he think it all just gets done by itself? I hate dumb questions. Reminds me of my family asking on an all day trip out, “What’s for dinner?” I should write a book on what not to ask. LOL

• 17 GGail
      December 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Merry Christmas OG!
      Your interaction with your brother, sounds just like me & my sister. I love her, but she can bring me to a boil in 2 seconds flat! LOL!!!

December 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm

:shock: It doesn’t get done by itself, OG? So now I’m actually having to GO and do something? Now you tell me! Enjoy your evening with bro, anyway. :grin: One of mine phoned yesterday morning to let me know he ‘loves his big sis’. I won’t mention that this love surfaces only when he’s doing a ‘lay-up’ to something, and that years of silence do not in any way tame the love….apparently. ;)

• 19 jackiegrumbacher
      December 24, 2013 at 3:36 pm

OG, you just described the way of every family’s life, especially one with children (even the ones who grow older). Meals are supposed to magically appear and be just right for the occasion even if “mama” has been out all day with self-same kids.

5. 20 Obama Grandmama
    December 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I started at the most recent post today since I don’t have much time to be with you. Posted my mean me example above. I am glad to have all of you to commiserate with. This is the first Xmas I remember thinking there is a much greater chance for peace in the world, if only for a short time with our President in charge.

December 24, 2013 at 1:54 pm

JER, I like the way you used only the President’s words! Pres O says so much each time he speaks, and he certainly does not need an interpreter. Thanks again for sharing!

7. 24 GGail
    December 24, 2013 at 1:59 pm

JER, thanks for the clever way you compiled your “Memories”. I can hear President Obama speaking those words.
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you & yours

• 25 JER
      December 24, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Thank you. And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

• 26 utaustinliberal
        December 24, 2013 at 2:25 pm

These were great choices, JER. Especially the speeches on Climate Change and the College Affordability tours where we were privileged to once again hear President Obama’s vision for the future and a world not as it is, but a world as it should be.

8. December 24, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Great selection, JER, and really like the way you weave the tapestry with quotes from President Obama. Well done and Thank you!!!

#FORWARD

December 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Okay, it’s 2pm, and there is no way I can stretch out this sit-down breakfast any further without it costing me majorly into the wee hours of the morning. Ciao, you all!

10. December 24, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Posted this late yesterday evening ….

…. and am going to strive to have our National Security ever more explicitly linked to nurturing those who are distressed, and “Equitable Opportunity” for each American.

Yes We Can

• 36 jackiegrumbacher
      December 24, 2013 at 3:43 pm

Bob, that’s a great message linking and it completely overrides the “they’re not worthy” idiocy of the right. We become weakened as a country, unstable as an economy and as the president said, less able to present ourselves as an example to the world if so much of our population is mired down in poverty and is hungry and homeless. Such conditions are not tolerable for a wealthy first world country that boasts some of the richest people on earth. The more sensible memes we can drive into the environment, the more successful we will be in fighting the 24/7 right wing propaganda coming from the news media. Have a great Christmas!

• December 24, 2013 at 5:26 pm

“We become weakened as a country, unstable as an economy and as the president said, less able to present ourselves as an example to the world if so much of our population is mired down in poverty and is hungry and homeless.”

Precisely, Jackie!

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas, as well.

11. December 24, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Have no way of knowing if the scenario I’m about to describe is remotely accurate, but think considering it is worthwhile. The Iranians know that US GOP is NEOCON through and through, i.e., has an insatiable lust for war because of how vastly profitable it has been for them – since the Vietnam War.

They see that President Obama wants to avoid more war, is absolutely committed to nuclear non-proliferation, does not hesitate to use force when that is his only option, and has been willing to expend considerable political capital to enable diplomacy to prevail in ending Iran’s nuclear weapons ambitions. They know the President has threatened to veto any legislation that would enact further sanctions on Iran until it is clear that Iran isn’t being totally transparent as to it’s stock pile of enriched uranium and it’s enrichment activities.

But, it’s one thing for them to see the President opposing the GOP. It’s an entirely different situation to see the President and Sec Kerry have to reject efforts by Democratic Senators. That the President and Sec Kerry are having to do so, in the context of the perceptions of Iranian hardliners and ordinary citizens, is not necessarily a bad thing.

In fact, it might just be the juice that President Rouhani & Ayatollah Ali Khamenei need to convince the Iranian hardliners that if they do not pursue full resolution of the nuclear issue not only will sanctions expand, but the likelihood of war would increase significantly.

Just a thought.

#TrustBarack

• 39 japa21
      December 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I tend to agree with you. The whole reason this is happening now is that they trust PBO and his having to face down some members of his own party actually reinforces that trust.

It also reinforces the need to get this done now, before the 2016 elections, or even the 2016 campaign season, as they can’t be sure another Dem President will be as willing to continue PBO’s policies in this area.

We know now that a lot of background work for this was being done in 2011 and 2012, probably behind Achmadinijad’s (sp?) back. As I mentioned at the time this was all coming out in public, Iran needed to wait until after the 2012 election before they could start moving forward, and PBO’s win gave them the go ahead to lay the groundwork, including allowing Rohani to be on the ballot. I doubt he would have been allowed to run if Romney had won.

It is also important that we don’t over romanticize Rohani. Although a moderate by Iranian standards, he still upholds the basic style of government in Iran and many of the theologically based laws of that country.

• 41 yardarm756
      December 24, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Your thoughts may be very valid Lootenant. I wondered the same thing when I saw that Cory Booker is in on it too. If so, this IS serious HI-STAKES poker. Ya think?………Remember, JESUS is the reason for the season.

12. December 24, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Way cool!!!

BTW, currently the girls are ahead of the boys, 51 % to 49% :)

#FORWARD Together

13. December 24, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Have been soooo busy but appreciate the days of photos and comments from Todder’s favourites. It has been a wonderful trip down memory lane. Thanks again to everyone who contributes here.

14. 48 JER
    December 24, 2013 at 2:27 pm

15. 50 mtmarilyn
    December 24, 2013 at 2:31 pm

WOW Jer, what a wonderful collections of PBO’s speeches. They are all so powerful. Many people hear those words and take them to heart. They aren’t just spoken, PBO feels each word and they have great meaning. Thank you for reminding us all of those words.

December 24, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Going thru all the “memorable moments of 2013″ posts including this one – it’s evident that there are so many top moments to choose from – much more than space or time will permit.

That’s how we know that it took an extreme amount of effort and motivation from the corrupt media to come up with the absurd notion that 2013 was PBO’s “worst” year. The media is not lazy – they work VERY hard and long at *attempting* to portray PBO as a failure. Thankfully, fewer people are taking them seriously.

• 53 susanne
      December 24, 2013 at 3:26 pm

excellent point, and very well said, hopefruit. our chips knew just what to do to help us counter those conversations that will inevitably crop up when we mingle with relatives and neighbors this season. everyone has the msm chip implanted, but we have the fresh reminders from tod of the president’s many, many important successes this year.

17. 55 HZ
    December 24, 2013 at 2:45 pm

JER, thank you for a terrific selections of our great president’s speeches. This is a beautiful and bright light to keep shining for all of us to enjoy and share with others as well.

We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful man who lives by his core and serves all of America beautifully.

JER, may you have a beautiful Christmas Holiday Celebration with your family and friends. Thanks for all that you have given us in your heads up with our beautiful Chips. HZ

18. 56 JER
    December 24, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thank you HZ. And I wish you a wonderful Christmas.

December 24, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I’m trolling Greenwald this Christmas Eve because well, I feel like it and he deserves to be teased….

20. 59 GGail
    December 24, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I really like the picture/pose of President Obama that’s under this caption: Remarks by the President on the Affordable Care Act – September 26, 2013

21. 60 Bill R.
    December 24, 2013 at 3:29 pm

In the spirit of universalism and good will to all, the Great Bell Chant (end of suffering text by Thich Nhat Hanh)

• 61 Bill R.
      December 24, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Also here:

• 62 Bill R.
        December 24, 2013 at 3:35 pm

I believe our President Barack Obama has realized the heart of compassion in the very difficult path of being the leader of our nation.

• December 24, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Bill you are an inspiration yourself. Thanks for your helping people get signed up for ACA. People can still sign up until March and if they have life changes. The media wants people to think this is a one time thing.

• 65 Bill R.
          December 24, 2013 at 3:55 pm

Thank you for the kind words. Most of my focus will be on signing up folks for the Oregon Health Plan, the expanded Medicaid dimension of the #ACA, working with low income, homeless, and the mentally ill. That work goes on year round. I will be a volunteer with the Marion County Health Dept. and also with my church, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Salem, Oregon, and outreach to those who are served through ministries to the poor and homeless. What I do is small, and it is one drop in the ocean of kindness that is poured forth in our hearts. What is truly difficult is to stand before all humankind and be a witness for the powerless, and be the one who must bear the hatred, contempt, and cruel reactions from those who resist the call to compassion and care for one another. That is the mantle and burden that great ones choose to bear like President Barack Obama. I have compassion for him, who takes the suffering of this world on himself trying to do what he can do to make it better. It is rare for a political leader to realize that the purpose of power is to protect and serve the defenseless and the vulnerable. He understands it and pays the price.

• 68 susanne
        December 24, 2013 at 3:59 pm

lovely. thank you so much bill.

• December 24, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Bill R, I listen to this when I feel the tensions of the world building up. It calms and soothes me and helps me to realize that there is a common bond amongst all living beings if we listen.

22. 70 susanne
    December 24, 2013 at 3:29 pm

good hawaii morning chips and todville!
    rubbing the sleep from my eyes, i saw the lovely photo of our president with the greatest smile! you can just feel his happiness in that smile, and i am so glad somebody caught it so we could see and feel it too. everyone here deserves to share that glee, because everyone here has helped to ensure his work is being done. that smile is for you, tod!
    mele kalikimaka~

23. December 24, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Thanks for the memories JER. Again I’m thankful this is the year I found TOD so I could see these great memories and read the insights of thoughtful and intelligent posters. Thank you again Chips and your helpers. Have you done this every year? I would love to go back after Christmas and read the other years. I must have missed so much even though I thought I was following him, I was fooled by the idjit journalists.
    My favorite memories besides his SECOND Inaguration was your coverage of his trips and flashbacks to his trips to other years. Especially Ireland now that I know I’m part Irish. ;)

24. December 24, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Santa was last spotted in Romania. He has given over two trillion gifts. Thanks to NORAD for treating us to his flight. Is Dudette and our other nerds watching?

December 24, 2013 at 3:58 pm

December 24, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Thanks to dedicated citizens like Bill R, Tally and others, the ACA-positive news is just everywhere!!

December 24, 2013 at 4:22 pm

28. 82 yardarm756
    December 24, 2013 at 4:27 pm

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE…

29. 85 susanne
    December 24, 2013 at 4:37 pm

pope francis keeps reminding the world what jesus was about:

‘ Keeping with the theme of humility he has set for his new papacy, Francis carried the statue instead of an aide, and kissed a knee of the figure of the newly born Jesus. ‘

30. 86 Sheinfrance
    December 24, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Thank you Chips and all Tod’ers for 2013. Happy holidays to everyone and I wish you all a happy healthy and love filled 2014. Xx Terry

31. 87 Don
    December 24, 2013 at 4:57 pm

What I love most about the Obamacare sign-up is that the deadline keeps moving and that alone must drive the GOP batshit insane.

32. 88 JER