Dec

2013: Theo’s Most Memorable Moments

by Theo

1 The Inauguration

I think everyone has this on their list, and I have to leave it at the top of mine. It was the best moment of 2013 – the absolute best. And I got to share it with family and several TOD members in person in DC. So satisfying. My favourite moment was when President Obama took that last look out into the crowd to take it all in. I loved that he took time to enjoy the day.

2 President & First Lady Obama’s trip to Africa

Seeing the joyous crowds greeting them in Tanzania was breathtaking. Especially the dress worn by FL Michelle at the official dinner in Senegal.

3 President Obama’s speech on poverty/inequality

It’s what he has fought to fix his whole career. He keeps his eye on the ball – never wavering.

4 President Obama’s meeting with the new Chinese President Xi Jinping in California

Such a momentous occasion and a really personal touch to the meeting.

5 The surprise phone call with Iranian President Rouhani

… ultimately culminating in progress on a nuclear agreement.

Reuters report here

6 The President’s trip to Israel and the West Bank

…… plus, his jump down the ledge while touring the ruins in Jordan!

7 Confirmation of Richard Cordray to lead the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

Critical for American consumers.

8 The Tribal Nations Conference (fifth year)

President Obama’s commitment to the Indian community has been a joy to behold. He continues to keep his promises and heal years of mistrust through his consistency.

9 President Obama’s handwritten tribute to the Gettysburg address

Reminds us that we’re living history.

10 VP Biden

VP Biden had some important events this year – including his foreign trips where he advanced important foreign policy initiatives. My favorite moment was watching him and Cabinet Secretaries greeting employees back after the end of the government Shutdown.

Click

near the top of the sidebar on the right to read all the ‘Most Memorable Moments’.

92 Responses to “2013: Theo’s Most Memorable Moments”

1. 1 GGail
    December 24, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Ho, Ho, Ho!!!

2. 6 JER
    December 24, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Theo, this is such a wonderful collection of Memorable Moments.

3. 7 GGail
    December 24, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Oh yea, Theo, you got some good ones too!

I choke up every time I see President Obama turned back to look out at the Mall.

And I love his Action Jackson move!

Merry Christmas Theo & Happy New Year!

• 8 MightyPamela
      December 24, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Agree, GGail ~ what delights me infinitely in this photo, is there is our Pete Souza, IN the photo, for posterity, rather than being the one behind the camera! That seems very fitting to me as well, as his work will go far into the future, so many memorable moments his cameras have captured!

4. December 24, 2013 at 5:17 pm

Looooooove these memories Theo – again, like JER’s beautiful post, so many I’d forgotten. The handwritten note, VP Biden, etc, just gorgeous! Thank you so so so so much!

5. 11 susanne
    December 24, 2013 at 5:19 pm

glad to see flotus dress from the evening in senegal again and again–perfectly beautiful!

6. 13 yardarm756
    December 24, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Keep your spirits up.

• 15 yardarm756
        December 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Always in the background Admiral. I regret I have no other recollections to add to the ones that have been mentioned……To tell the truth, my advancing years have forced me to steer by my personal wake. This forces me to be a bit selfish. I think about all I’ve done, mistakes made, and stuff I could have done different. No pity party allowed,however.
        Christmas always does it to me. :-)

7. 18 susanne
    December 24, 2013 at 5:25 pm

norad’s santa tracking site has music from the air force band–fun!

8. 19 mtmarilyn
    December 24, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Another WOW, oh WOW. Theo, I love those memories. Isn’t it amazing how so many people are missing out on these events, because of our msm. We here at TOD are so fortunate that we have found each other and that our blog mistress extraordinary had the foresight to start this wonderful community. Thank you all for continuing to fill my heart. This community is so special.

Merry Christmas all!

9. 20 99ts
    December 24, 2013 at 5:27 pm

I wake up Christmas morning and there are so many wonderful threads and memories and pictures and comments

You folks obviously have nothing to do on Christmas Eve – the busiest day of my life – enjoy it all

I relived my childhood last night – woke up every hour between 3 a.m. and 8 a.m. – wondering if it was time to get up :) :)

10. December 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm

OMG, Theo! I love your choices!

I especially love the inauguration moment and his commitment to Native Americans. He is the first President that has spoken of the Native American community in much the same terms as Israel: an unbreakable bond.

The inauguration moment!

• December 24, 2013 at 5:33 pm

And I also love how Malia summons Pete to capure the moment. She is a SWEETHEART.

• December 24, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Oh wow Meta, I never noticed that before, that’s fantastic!

• 28 CEB
        December 24, 2013 at 7:48 pm

This is the first time that I have noticed this as well. What a wonderful young lady; so aware, so thoughtful.

• 29 HZ
          December 24, 2013 at 11:17 pm

I loved that moment as well. It is known among close family and friends how Malia and Sasha as so aware of the moments they are actually growing up with and in history, and the man who is making that history take place in their lives is the loving and precious father, the President of the United States of America. They certainly have grown into making this history a loving and graceful time for mommy and daddy. This is one thing that brings so much joy and pride in our president when Malia and Sasha have his back like that historic moment.

Thank Theo for another great set of glorious memories. And we helped to make it all happen as well. What an honor. Just so beautiful.HZ

• 30 theo67
      December 24, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Thanks for the video, meta. It’s also a sign of President Obama’s humility that he steps out of the way to allow people to pass, and doesn’t expect the world to stop while he does his thing. This was my absolute favourite moment of the year – just seeing him be so human.

11. December 24, 2013 at 5:33 pm
  12. 35 Nena20409
    December 24, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Good Evening and Happy Christmas Fellow TODable TODbots ;)

Wow…..so many Memories in 2013 from so many folks. Thank you all. Just wonderful.

In less than 16 mins Midnight Mass by Pope Francis will be televised. EWTN no doubt would carry it.

13. 41 Nena20409
    December 24, 2013 at 5:49 pm

President Barack Obama spread a little holiday cheer at the gym Tuesday in Kailua, Hawaii when he signed an autograph for a young girl visiting with her family from Toronto.

The president was playing basketball and lifting free weights when he stopped to sign an autograph for Krystin Lavelle, 10, according to a pool report. Obama wrote “To Kyrstin — Dream big dreams!” in the girl’s journal.

14. December 24, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Thank you theo!! As others have noted, you’ve selected great moments of President’s Obama’s 5th year in office, especially noting his truly unprecedented actions on behalf of Native Americans.

• 48 theo67
      December 24, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Thanks Bob – I love that he’s made a concerted effort to keep his promises to the Native American community, and to acknowledge the many broken promises before his time.

December 24, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Great picks, Theo!

• 50 theo67
      December 24, 2013 at 6:27 pm

UT – you are an inspiration! Thanks for all your hard work supporting Chipsticks with the blog – we owe you both (and the mini-bt) a debt of gratitude for what you’ve provided here.

16. 51 susanne
    December 24, 2013 at 6:10 pm

for all who are having a busy day!

December 24, 2013 at 6:13 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this POTUS.

December 24, 2013 at 6:22 pm

The 10 year old girl gave POTUS some flowers, he joked and said he would give them to FLOTUS and claim he picked them.

18. December 24, 2013 at 6:15 pm

More than ever before I’m so ashamed of not just the gap but the heartlessness about it – that those with so much willingly, in fact, proudly denigrate the poor, hungry, homeless, under compensated, etc.

Our enemies, I assure you, see that as a fundamental, strategic weakness in America.

2014 must be the year that the Promise of America becomes a mandatory component of our National Security. President Eisenhower warned us:

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement. We pay for a single fighter with a half-million bushels of wheat. We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people. . . . This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.”

Will be expanding on this theme.

#TrustBarack

19. December 24, 2013 at 6:24 pm

photo/1

20. 65 japa21
    December 24, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Well, I am going to try this and see if it works.

21. 71 99ts
    December 24, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I’m setting up the dinner table – and laughing myself silly

5 sets of g grandma’s silver cutlery – one set heinz pink plastic fork & spoon
    5 royal dalton china dinner dishes – one red plastic tupperware plate
    5 crystal wine glasses – one pink and blue straw drinking cup
    5 Christmas napkins – one christmas bib

I love her beyond belief

• December 24, 2013 at 7:01 pm

You have me cracking up again 99ts, so so so so sweet!!!

• 73 99ts
        December 24, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I’m a bit over the fence about this grandbabe – never thought I could be this besotted about anyone/anything – it’s worse than the first love one has as a teenager!!

Do hope your Christmas preparations are going well – your kitchen should soon be looking like mine was about 10 hours ago!

Many many Christmas wishes to you & yours – thankyou for this place

• December 24, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Mercifully for my family – and kitchen – I’m not on cooking duty 99ts, my only task tomorrow is to oversee Danny’s first meeting with his dog cousin. Pray for me.

Thank you 99ts, you bring sooooo much to this place, love ya. Have a perfect day with your family and grandbabe!

• 75 99ts
            December 24, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Don’t let them near the Christmas Tree!!!!!!!! – about the limit of my advice on those of the canine variety. Enjoy

• 76 MightyPamela
          December 24, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Forgive me, 99ts, but I believe she simply MUST have the Royal Doulton, AND a set of silver tableware, AND a straw in a crystal goblet… Someone can help her (Grandma), and she will know from the beginning who she is! After all ~ these fine things will be her legacy, too, one day, and the photographs from today’s celebration will go with her through her lifetime!

• 77 99ts
            December 24, 2013 at 8:08 pm

MP – you need to meet my grandbabe – at 15 months she would disappear with the crystal goblet and if she didn’t eat it or break it – she would hide it – never to be seen again. All in the fullness of time.

Just got the message that everyone is on the way – so my intertubes day is almost over

Have a wonderful tomorrow MP – enjoy

• 80 99ts
        December 24, 2013 at 7:11 pm

You are so kind Meta – Merry Christmas – or Happy Holidays – (but no-one in my world says that – despite we are one of the most unreligious nations in the world.)

22. December 24, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Merry Christmas to TOD and TOD fans!!

23. 83 MightyPamela
    December 24, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I am so thoroughly enjoying the shared Memorable Moments diaries, thank you everyone, thank you! And Mr. Bobfr, you have drawn tears with this posting of Eisenhower, and his message of Peace. 60 years, 2000 years, when are we going to get it? No amount of money/profit will save anyone, body or Soul, once the Earth is damaged beyond repair. Amen.

24. 84 JER
    December 24, 2013 at 8:00 pm
  25. 86 anniebella
    December 24, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I got my Americans love Obamacare sticker and it’s going right on my car.

• December 24, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Merry Christmas my TOD family……Hope everyone has a safe and happy time. Congratulations to the many new grandbabies who will be spending Xmas with their new grandparents…..don’t forget to say hello to the parents when you take those babies into your arms. : )

December 24, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Happy hols all.

27. 92 HZ
    December 24, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Happy Holidays to my Chips. To our handsome Danny on his first Christmas. What a joy.

There are so many wonderful words I would love to say, but tears (joyful tears) are already flowing. This beautiful TOD family is such a joy to my heart, Chips. So I just want to say that I love all of you here in my TOD family, and I want you all to know that you have lifted my spirit on many days when I was a little down.

The joy in this beautiful TOD family will always be so special as I hope and pray each one will find and have that special time with family, friends, and even those moments alone. (((((((((((((((((((( A most loving and Happy Holidays to my sweet and loving TOD family.)))))))))))))))))))HZ

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Chips, you are such a beautiful soul, thank you so much.))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))HZ