Dec

2013: VC’s Most Memorable Moments

by VC

To be honest, TODobots, reflecting on meaningful 2013 moments in the Age of Obama takes me right back to the 2009 Inauguration which I watched on TV.  Personally, I go backwards first because for me almost all momentous 2013 happenings are irrevocably intertwined with the ones started back then.

Remember this part of Pres O’s 2009 address?

“To those leaders around the globe who seek to sow conflict, or blame their society’s ills on the West – know that your people will judge you on what you can build, not what you destroy. To those who cling to power through corruption and deceit and the silencing of dissent, know that you are on the wrong side of history; but that we will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist.”

I wasn’t at all surprised President Obama did just that, on December 10, 2013.

(1) ••►President  Barack H. Obama = A Man of his Word

He also said then ….

“…. as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself; and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace.

To the Muslim world, we seek a new way forward, based on mutual interest and mutual respect.”

In seeking a new way forward, President Obama had a 15 minute conversation with Iranian President Rouhani

September 27, 2013:

(2) ••►President Barack H. Obama = A Man of Vision and of Action

Most everyone here would agree that PBO’s choice of Joe Biden as a presidential partner was, and is, a smart one. VP Joe has worked closely with Pres. O from the beginning …..

“Now, as the 47th Vice President of the United States, Joe Biden has continued his leadership on important issues facing the nation.  The Vice President was tasked with implementing the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, helping to rebuild our economy and lay the foundation for a sustainable economic future.   …

In addition, Vice President Biden has supported the Administration’s effort to re-establish leadership in the Asia Pacific, traveling to China, Japan, and Mongolia in August 2011 and completing an exchange of visits with China’s then-Vice President in February 2012, that country’s current leader.  He has represented our country in every region of the world…….  ”

…and in 2013 a memorable event for me was VP Biden’s December 2013 6-day trip to Asia.

► VP Biden = A Man who understands there’s no ‘I’ in team and whose inclusion in the O-Admin clearly shows me ……..

(3) ••►President Barack H. Obama = A Man of Wisdom

I was reminded several times this year that the president is a phenomenal leader, one who chooses qualified people, then allows them to do their jobs. In 2009 he chose AG Eric Holder who is doing a phenomenal job.

A few of his 2013 choices who are making their marks ►

SoS John Kerry (January 2013); Susan Rice (June 5, 2013); Samantha Power,(June 5, 2013)

*I* also was quite proud of the fact that as leader PBO stood behind Secretary Sebelius after the October #ACA rollout.

There sits a building, painted white
It glimmers in the bright sunlight
Built by strong, dark hands, without a choice
Built to house a leader, so we’d all have a voice

~ Jacqueline O’B: Sept 17/2013

(4) ••►Pres. B. H. Obama = The LEADER millions chose TWICE for the WH

Pres. O and his Admin have definite plans to bring the nation ‘up-to-date’, and despite those blocking the way, they are making progress.

► “That’s why President Obama is unveiling a bold, new initiative called ConnectED, which will connect 99 percent of America’s students to the internet through high-speed broadband and high-speed wireless within 5 years.”

What is ConnectED?

► President O proposes Executive Actions re gun violence:

(5) ••►President Barack H. Obama =   A Man of the 21st Century

This year I continued to be touched by the Obamas’ interactions with, and obvious caring for, the next generation.

(6) ••►The Obamas = Comfortable with Youth & Children

In addition to him connecting well with today’s youth, I continue to be extremely proud to see how confidently PBO interacts among his peers on the world leadership stage …..every time!

(7) ••►Pres. Obama = A President comfortable on the World Stage

I of course cannot talk about memorable moments in 2013 and not mention the celebration we had in TOD village August 13!  Lady Mayor Chips celebrated her 21st birthday again, before inadvertently admitting somewhere in the festivities that she really, maybe, ought to, should add another year.  So ‘22’, slipped out somewhere!  We should keep in the back of our minds however that the Lady Mayor very morally reiterates, from time to time, that her skills in mathematics are questionable.  While we celebrate with her the number she provides, let’s keep in mind that she might have forgotten the multiplication factor – like x2 …. or x3.

I think I will call this point …

(8) ••►Pres. B. H. Obama =   A Man who Unearths Jewels like Chips ;)

To wrap up – In retracing ten of my 2013 ‘big’ memories, I want to end with the 2013 Inauguration.

(part of a report I wrote to TOD in January)

I left my hotel at 6:10am! Inauguration morning 2013 was fresh, cool, invigorating and pregnant with expectation and promise. I was in position about 8:30am and guests began to arrive about 11am.  Did you get the fact that …………

*** I ***.      WAS.   THERE!!!!???

[Yeah, I know, along with hundreds of thousands  of others, but *I* was there, and thanks to DonnaDem, I was up relatively close to the action.  :grin:   :grin:    :grin:  ]

FLOTUS’s arrival, just about did me in. I don’t handle public tears well, so I just started laughing instead. ;)  One lady to my right gave me a (strange) look, probably wondering what I was laughing at, but it was just that THERE WAS SO MUCH JOY INSIDE OF ME I couldn’t keep it inside.  I think I might have shouted ‘Yes!’ ‘Yessss!’ ‘Yessssss!’ in the midst of the laughter.  FLOTUS is one beautiful lady inside and out, AND the majority of Americans were smart enough and aware enough to recognize that and keep her in the role she has performed so wonderfully well!   I was ecstatic. I was proud of the Americans who made this choice. There was a tremendous sense of rightness, a sense that I couldn’t ask for more than this moment, a sense that my heart was full, so I laughed….body shaking laughter. :oops:

***
The Great Emancipator
Mocked and vilified in life
Stares down from his portrait
At the new President’s wife
My dear Mr. Lincoln
As you look down from on high
May we present Mrs. Obama
With tears of pride in our eyes

[JO’B - Sept. 19/2013]

►First Lady Michelle Obama = A Woman of real Substance (IMO) whose love of, and commitment to, her daughters and husband, and ……..

►….whose young American princesses remind me daily ……

(9) ••►President  Barack H. Obama = A Man of Family Values

Being actually present at the 2013 Inauguration was a dual purpose ‘awesome’ for me!

i)    I was THERE and the feeling was truly indescribable

ii)    I met, and interacted with, some TODobots regulars [like Theo67,  DonnaDem, Political Junkessa,  Alycée,  CollegeKayl]

In fact, PBO is the man behind our entire TOD village and the very reason we are still together after the 2012 election!

(10) ••►President  B. H. Obama = A Man Who Brings People Together

So, finally :roll: 2013 has been a great year; not perfect, just great given the restrictions others chose to place upon it.

That they were unsuccessful in their attempts at destruction is testament to the moral strength, wisdom, caring, vision, love and determination of……

President Barack Hussein Obama

and his team

and his family!

Yeah 2013!!!!!

What a year!

Signed – VC, The Quiet One :lol:

170 Responses to “2013: VC’s Most Memorable Moments”

1. 17 GGail
    December 30, 2013 at 5:19 pm

WWWWWHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! WHY are you torturing me woman!

2. December 30, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Exccellent post, VC. Thanks for bringing in the many wonderful people in PBO’s life who support him and help him carry out his agenda to improve our lives.

December 30, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Hasn’t PBO been such a terrific leader, choosing his team members (the ones that weren’t elected) wisely? I so respect the way he lets them have their chances to ‘shine’, then stands with them in times of ‘need’.

• December 30, 2013 at 5:43 pm

He chooses people he respects and trusts and then lets them get on with the job. His support of them through difficult times is admirable, but I wouldn’t expect anything different. He doesn’t make decisions based on the optics of the situation – he gets to the heart of it.

3. 26 GGail
    December 30, 2013 at 5:26 pm

VC, I’m so proud of you – that’s beautiful

4. December 30, 2013 at 5:26 pm

To the “quiet one”: Beautiful, absolutely beautiful, vc. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) All these walks down memory lane are beyond wonderful……just no words to adequately express my feelings.

December 30, 2013 at 5:44 pm

TNMG, this is the best possible way Chips could have added a twist to the mundane end-of-year walks people normally engage in at this time of year! It was fun to do, and it brings us all back to certain moments, but in most cases, with a slightly different description. A truly great and fun approach!

December 30, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Awesome list VC! Indeed, we occasionally forget PBO’s illustrious and AMAZING team, beginning with our intelligent, hard-working and most loyal VP Joseph Biden and completing full circle with Pete Souza :) Glad that you again reminded us of these amazing public servants that our President has selected to represent him and help him implement his vision for our country.

December 30, 2013 at 5:47 pm

TY, Hf. I think a measure of PBO’s leadership strength is that *he* doesn’t forget. Remember how he thanked his volunteers in 2012 with tears in his eyes? ‘That’s *MY/OUR* President!

December 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Yup, PBO’s personal and intimate address to his volunteers was one of the most memorable moments of 2012…

6. 33 forus50
    December 30, 2013 at 5:30 pm

OMG vc, I love this!!! Very unique perspective and so well explained.

For me the most meaningful and memorable line of any of his speeches has been the one you quoted:

Reading that line many times since he spoke it always gets to me on such an emotional level and seeing it actually happen with Iran this year was just so wonderful – soooooo happy that our President was able to make things HUGELY better for the Iranian people (and for the world) by his willingness to extend his hand.

• 34 forus50
      December 30, 2013 at 5:36 pm

And one thing else to add to this. While he meant the statement not be taken entirely literally; the physical handshake is symbolic beyond words. And if one were to look at all the photographs of POTUS greeting someone, 99% of the time he has his hand extended (and in fact physically REACHING OUT – in other words not just a half-extension) well before the other person extends his/her hand. I remember meeting him back in 2007 and the first thing I saw was his hand extended to me. So often people of power are waiting for the other person to extend his hand first – it’s never been the case with POTUS.

December 30, 2013 at 6:11 pm

:grin: FORUS, I often think PBO means what he says and says what he means both literally and figuratively – one of the reasons I absolutely love his answer to Ed Henry – ‘It took us a couple of days (to come out in outrage) because I like to know what I’m talking about before I speak’.

In truth, FORUS, there are certain moments PBO does or says things that set off a clarification inside of me that profoundly changes my outlook. Funny enough, it’s usually surrounding something simple, something I probably should have already grasped and something I know I won’t forget. The first time I was so zapped was in Grant Park when PBO remarked he was the president for the entire country, those who voted for him and those who didn’t. I already knew that, but I knew more profoundly and in a slightly different way forever after that.

December 30, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Mitt Romney Being Sued For Racketeering In Federal Court

// One of the most ignored stories in the mainstream media will surely be coming to a television screen near you once the court proceedings commence. That lawsuit is none other than racketeering charges leveled against one Willard “Mitt” Romney and his co-defendants in Haas v. Romney.

Filed on October 18 in Los Angeles, CA, in an ironic twist of fate it was decided on November 6, the one-year anniversary of Romney’s loss to Barack Obama, that the lawsuit could go forward.

eToys executive Steven “Laser” Haas and his company, Collateral Logistics, Inc., was the court appointed fiduciary charged with overseeing the liquidation of eToys. Haas filed the suit after discovering multiple frauds while in the process of liquidating the company. In his affidavit to the Securities and Exchange Commission dated August 3, 2012, Haas charges, among other things, that he was offered $850,00 by Bain Capital to keep quiet about irregularities he uncovered. //

December 30, 2013 at 5:32 pm

December 30, 2013 at 5:32 pm

You may be “The Quiet One” but you are MIGHTY! This was wonderful, VC. Simply wonderful. Thanks bunches!!

December 30, 2013 at 5:33 pm

11. 52 susanne
    December 30, 2013 at 5:38 pm

love all these memorable moments round-ups! what a great way to say farewell to another fabulous year of the obama presidency! thanks to all blog tyrants and helpers (danny- that’s you).

very little news leaking from the presidential vacation this year–numbers of golf games, but not much else. this piece today is filler for most, but fascinating to obamabots:

‘ HONOLULU (AP) – It doesn’t matter that they belong to President Barack Obama – first family dogs Bo and Sunny had to go through Hawaii’s strict quarantine procedures to travel to the islands for their holiday vacation.

Hawaii is rabies free and all incoming dogs have to jump through several hoops, including an expensive rabies blood test and 120-day waiting period.

Program Manager Isaac Maeda of Hawaii’s Rabies Quarantine Branch said Monday that the Obamas complied with all requirements asked of other pet owners. ‘

December 30, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Susanne, I admit I’m torn, though not quite in two. I’m absurdly happy that the Obamas have managed to stay out of the limelight and enjoy a real vacation for these several days. I’m also a little bit ‘sad’ that I didn’t catch more glimpses of them enjoying their vacation. ;) What can I say? I suspect that’s how it’s going to be for me in 2017 – very, very, very happy they can regain their own lives, yet eager for every scrap of info on the awesome things they will be doing.

• 54 susanne
        December 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm

yup, it’s frustrating to search the local news outlets and this is all i get. clearly, the journalists are scraping the barrel for something, anything to print–because we all want to see them! we want to know what flavor of shave ice the president is eating! and the girls–are they surfing yet?! i don’t think we’ll stop being fascinated by this family–ever. and so i do respect their need to create a zone of privacy. i do think, though, that tod should have a special access pass, don’t you? we’d be very discreet, and preserve the modesty and personal nature of the family’s beach vacation. next year, i propose that we elect someone here to travel along with the first family and report back exclusively to the tod family. :)

December 30, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Yep! I second the need for a special access pass for TOD, I surely do! In fact, I’ll go one step further and volunteer to be the TOD press member assigned to travel with the family for next year’s vacation, and you can be the TOD press member on site. We’ll then pool our resources when I arrive, you being more familiar with movement on the islands. Indeed, the more I think on this, the more perfect it sounds!

12. 62 jackiegrumbacher
    December 30, 2013 at 5:40 pm

VC, you are a true delight. This was so full of love and energy and personal joy, that I couldn’t help bubbling up the laughter, like you did at the sight of Michelle Obama on election day. You showed us all how the bottom line of all our memories is our love–deep, unshakeable and time-tested–for our wonderful president and for each other. Thank you, VC for sharing the memories and for sharing yourself with us. By the way, if you look again at each of the president’s inaugural speeches, he has been absolutely consistent in laying out his goals and then relentlessly pursuing them. They are true blueprints, missed by almost every so-called ‘professional’ media person who heard him.

13. 64 Dudette
    December 30, 2013 at 5:41 pm

Darling-Amazing VC, this post is a stroke of sheer genius! Well Done… Exceptionally Well Done!

14. 68 Nena20409
    December 30, 2013 at 5:46 pm

VC. VC. VC. VC.

A tip of the Hat to YOU, Madam. Brilliant. A touch of personal recognition, just classy.

Great Job with your 2013 Memory Lane ;)

December 30, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Great memories, VC.

December 30, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Aw, Utal, you were another whom I missed at the Inauguration. I wish TODvillage would seriously plan a cruise! Not that I have ever before been on a cruise; then again, I’d never before been to an inauguration. :grin:

16. 72 africa
    December 30, 2013 at 5:49 pm

VC!!! Love, love it. Thank you!!

17. 74 dotster3
    December 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Excellent perspective, vc. I can never compete with all these beautiful memorable moments. I think I will just put up a “Ditto” sign with an arrow like that guy who lived next door to the house which was elaborately decorated Clark Griswold style with a million bright xmas lights. Y’all have already said exactly what I was going to say. :)

December 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm

TY, Dotster. The beauty of this entire feature for me is that we are complementing not competing! It’s like we each see the same thing, but sometimes you see the front, I see the back and someone else sees the reflection, etc. Sometimes my eyes move quickly over the very part that makes a tremendous impact on you. So when we share like this, fresh light is brought to each event shared; we see another piece we may have missed or forgotten, and the overall mental picture we had is now seen in even sharper focus. As I keep saying, Chips allowing us all to share this way was a WONDERFUL IDEA!

• 76 Vicki
        December 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm

You quoted one of the best Presidential lines of all time, VC and I thank you for that as well as the great moments.
        It never gets old.
        PBO to Ed Henry. “I like to know what I’m talking about before I speak.”

December 30, 2013 at 7:32 pm

And wasn’t the delivery calm and awesome, Vicki? I USED to play it back to myself sometimes when people would rant about ‘why didn’t PBO do this or that’, until one day I decided if they haven’t accepted how he works by now, too bad for them!

• 78 Vicki
            December 30, 2013 at 7:59 pm

They haven’t accepted it. They won’t accept it. To accept PBO’s approach discredits all their short on facts and long on outrage modus operandi from which they earn a living.

December 30, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Vicki, I should have clarified that the ‘they’ I was thinking of in this particular comment above was from our side. I used to play back the comment to myself when our side would start to rant about PBO’s actions. I accepted long before that the RWNJs wouldn’t, didn’t accept his governance.

18. December 30, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Very lovely and so special VC. Indeed PBO is all that and more.

19. 85 sherijr
    December 30, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Loved it VC, you made me laught and cry.. all happy. You are a gem :)

20. December 30, 2013 at 5:56 pm

VC, this is a work of art and heart!!! Truly moving. Thank you ‘oh quiet one’ :)

21. 90 sjterrid
    December 30, 2013 at 5:56 pm

VC, thanks for your great collection of most memorable moments. I was there somewhere off to the side, and behind the trees at the 2nd inauguration. I’m so happy that I got a chance to be there.

December 30, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Wasn’t it awesome, Terri!!!! It was great watching 2009 with online family, but 2013 live was AWESOME!

• 92 sjterrid
        December 30, 2013 at 8:43 pm

It indeed was awesome. The whole day was electrifying. It was great seeing people from all over the country showing their love and support for President Obama. It, also, made it clear how the media distorts their coverage of this president.

December 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was killer. Killer. OMG. That brought me back to when I had my ears pierced…long story, but suffice to say this was similar…. Which is why after the first ear was done, I told my mom I didn’t want the other one done…she muttered something like “You puss” ( kidding!) and told me to suck it up, I just couldn’t walk around with one pierced ear. This just brought me right back there!

December 30, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Getting your ears pierced is like experiencing the worst pain you will ever experience in your entire lifetime … all in about a half second. I almost didn’t get my second ear done, either!

December 30, 2013 at 6:45 pm

:) Glad I wasn’t the only one:) Had two kids with no drugs, but piercing my ears about did me in! The Dr I had just did the same thing Harrison Ford did…stuck the needle right in there…no numbing, no nothing. Back before those guns they use now…. I’m showing my age again, aren’t I?

December 30, 2013 at 6:54 pm

No doubt I’m older than you and should have known better, but I had mine done at a kiosk in a mall on the spur of the moment, with a couple friends who joined me. AT A KIOSK IN A MALL! We were all in our 30s. What was I thinking? Probably that it wouldn’t hurt, eh? :)

December 30, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Should I mention that my cousins and I once decided to buy those “self piercing” earrings? Young and stupid. All those reading this…they DON’T work. Just FYI. Do it right the first time….

• 103 Dudette
              December 30, 2013 at 8:41 pm

So sorry to bring intensely painful memories. I just tripped out that Jimmy let him do that right there on TV.

I don’t have pierced ears myself. Mom had my sister’s and my ears done when we were very young, but my sisters developed bad keloids, so Mom decided to let them close up. Later on, Sis got hers done again with no problem. As an adult, I just could never come up with a good reason to purposefully let anybody ram a steel rod through any part of my body.

I like earrings and it bugs the crap out of me how difficult it is to find cute and comfortable clips, but still not compelling enough for me to get pierced. Maybe my next career will be to design clip earrings and open an exclusive clip earring boutique. :-)

December 30, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Not to worry about stirring up painful memories, since the pain only lasted a half second, each ear, for me!

When my son was a young teenager, he woke me up one Christmas morning and said, with a happy smile on his face, “Merry Christmas, Mom! How do you like my pierced earring?” And I said (since I had told him he couldn’t get one), “Well, when you get it out of your ear, then you can open your gifts!” In all of his photos that Christmas Day – minus the earring – he had a very unhappy look on his face. I still chuckle over it. Probably I relented later on, but don’t try to pull a fast one on me, buddy boy, just because it’s Christmas! #TooHarsh? #IThinkNot #AtLeastNotBackThen30YearsAgo

December 30, 2013 at 6:59 pm

BTW, your “had two kids with no drugs” got me, too! I had one kid and I’m still dreamin’ about that sweet anesthesiologist with the big smile on his face (it was back when natural childbirth was not popular – I.Am.Old) who whispered to me while applying the mask, “Breathe in, Jacqueline.” Felt like lookin’ him up many times, later in life. :)

• 106 Obama Grandmama
        December 30, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I also remember my ear piercing experience, but in a different way. I did not have pierced ears when I was married and was always losing one earring from taking it off when I talked on the phone. My ears would hurt from wearing screw or clip on backs just like when our feet hurt from wearing pointed toe shoes. I was always too chicken to get my ears pierced since it might hurt. One birthday I opened a box with a beautiful pair of pierced earrings in it. When I proclaimed they would not work since my ears were not pierced my late husband said they will be tomorrow since I made an appointment for you at the doctors to have them pierced. Like it or not I got my ears pierced. It really did not hurt since they rubbed on a liquid that numbed the area.

22. 107 carla4obama
    December 30, 2013 at 6:16 pm

VC.
    Love your reflections. Yes it all began in Jan 2009, the day the world changed…never to go back. I love how you used Our Presidents words from prior speeches and connected them to current events. He is a man with vision, never has he payed the short game..always looking forward. That is why he is so misunderstood by so many…they can’t see like he does. He has no use for the MSM, he told us a long time ago ( I believe when he was in the 2008 primaries) that he wasn’t going to play these Washington games, he wanted to change the way things were done. Trying to take congress from the days of High School pranks, games, pettiness, clicks etc. and move them towards something of a higher level of functioning has been a work in progress that we here at TODvile get to witness. He is a master in this chess game, the MSM just doesn’t “see” and for whatever reason want to bring him down and label him as a failure. He’s got this, and we need to keep his back.
    Thank you VC!

23. 109 anniebella
    December 30, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Is the People Magazine issue with POTUS and FLOTUS on the stand yet?

24. 111 LDS
    December 30, 2013 at 6:24 pm

VC, your MMs are just wonderful and exceptionally brillant.
    #9 and #10 really touched my heart in all the right places.
    I, myself, came from a family with strong moral values.
    Both men and women in my family were positive forces in my life. I am so glad that these girls will grow up confident and smart. I knew they would be fine because the First Lady made sure their grandmother, Mrs. Robinson would be there to help shape, mold and love them. The elders in my family were the ones we respected, watched and went to for wisdom, hugs, kisses and unconditional love.
    VC, you may think you are quiet. But this post speaks loudly to who you really are….

December 30, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Oh, VC, I woke up from a nap & drool, looked outside … snowing? yes, snowing again and why didn’t I move back to Florida this year, I thought to myself – Ha! … turned up the heat, got hot coffee … sat down at TOD, shuddering to myself, and read your wonderful post. And I see what you did there in a couple of spots!

Your memories are now our memories, if they weren’t already! And doesn’t your post expose to all the world how adorable, sensitive, alert, knowledgeable, and pure-spirited you are as a human person? I think yes. Not just because of *you know* (what you did there, which made me feel all toasty warm, along with your beautifully presented list) ~ may I say that even when you’re not “first” or fighting to be first, we notice that you’re somehow still first. And anytime you want to share how ya do that, we’ll listen, little ms. first.

And thanks to you, too, Chips, for making everything lovely around here. And I’d rather see snow on the blog than outside my window, thank you very much!

• December 30, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Was quite touched by several aspects of VC’s post, but especially by how she included memorable portions of two of your poems, Jacqueline.

• 119 susanne
      December 30, 2013 at 6:53 pm

‘your memories are now our memories’
      this is why we come here– it’s like saying pinch me. am i really seeing this, can it be true, that we have such a magnificent president in our time?! sharing the experience of the obama presidency multiplies its richness for us, and also supports us in supporting his agenda. i’m honored to be in conversation daily with such a fine group of human beings here at tod.

December 30, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I’m honored, too, susanne – and that includes being in your presence!

Oh, and, another beautiful day in Hawaii?

• 121 susanne
          December 30, 2013 at 7:17 pm

yes, it’s beautiful, but not in a postcard way. rain rain rain, for several days, and when it’s not raining, it’s misty and damp. temp is about 70, so for us that’s freezing! i’m wearing a sweater with my tee shirt and capris, and socks. socks! :)

still, all the lush garden plants are green and vibrant, the flowers are bursting from their buds, and all the windows and doors in the house are open so we can enjoy the glow. more good news: i don’t have to fill the bird bath!

i just hope the storm we’re getting here on the big island is missing the obama family. i know the surf has been very high on the north shore of oahu, but honestly we’re just not getting the pictures from that area that we’re craving!

December 30, 2013 at 7:26 pm

JO’B, thank *you* for sharing your poetic mastery within the village this past year! I know I should have gotten written permission (in the proper way) from your agent first before using your work, but I wanted to surprise you. :grin: :grin: I didn’t forget to cite the author though. ;)

December 30, 2013 at 6:47 pm

How Paul Ryan will be ringing in the New Year …

27. 131 yardarm756
    December 30, 2013 at 6:59 pm

How teaGOPer’s start their miserable lives.

WHEN TO START CUSSING!

A 6 year old and a 4 year old are upstairs in their bedroom. The 6 year old asks, “You know what? I think it’s about time we started cussing..” The 4 year old nods his head in approval. The 6 year old continues, “When we go downstairs for breakfast, I’m gonna say something with hell and you say something with ass.”
    The 4 year old agrees with enthusiasm.

When the mother walks into the kitchen and asks the 6 year old what he wants for breakfast, he replies, “Aw, hell, Mom, I guess I’ll have some Cheerios.
    WHACK! He flies out of his chair, tumbles across the kitchen floor, gets up, and runs upstairs crying his eyes out, with his mother in hot pursuit, slapping his rear with every step. His mom locks him in his room and shouts, “You can stay there until I let you out!”
    She then comes back downstairs, looks at the 4 year old and asks with a stern voice, “And what do YOU want for breakfast, young man?”

“I don’t know,” he blubbers, “but you can bet your fat ass it won’t be Cheerios!”

28. December 30, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Putin’s Sochi Olympics may be in for a very, very dangerous situation, and, I assure you, there will be no 2014 G8 meeting in Sochi if this stuff escalates.

December 30, 2013 at 7:05 pm

I never watch Hardball, but I might tonight. He’s having on clips of the most ridiculous statements by GOP fools during the year. This should go viral just before Election Day 2014, so “independent” voters don’t forget!

• 140 susanne
      December 30, 2013 at 7:19 pm

thanks for the heads up–i don’t watch that stuff anymore either, but this sounds like a good one to catch.

December 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I didn’t hang with the entire show – kinda same-old-same-old, but still good to see it all acknowledged again.

30. 142 carolyn
    December 30, 2013 at 7:06 pm

vc, your list is tender, loving and truthful. I have always loved “We will extend a hand, if you are willing to unclench a fist.” This says so much of the character of the man and his desire for us as a people. Thank you.

Just one word about SOS Kerry and his mission in this absolutely perfect for him position. Unlike other defeated presidential candidates, (and vp candidates) John Kerry, who was I am sure, very disappointed and hurt, did not lash out, become vicious and nasty. Instead, he showed the measure of the person he is, and buckled down in the Senate and worked hard…….then, when PBO was elected, he knew that he was needed as the For Relations chair, as we can clearly see now with Menendez there, and became a good lieutenant for PBO. We so often see what people’s qualities are in defeat. PBO showed this spirit after his New Hampshire primary loss.
    Kerry is now where he belongs, and I am so glad for him and his plans and progress.

December 30, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Yes, Carolyn, I’ve been following your take of John Kerry in the SoS position, and your arguments make sense to me. I noted somewhere today that SoS Kerry is on his way back to ME with a peace proposal. For all the effort and determination he has been applying to the situation I sure am crossing mental fingers that BiBi won’t mess things up. That part of the world deserves its chance at real peace IMO. It boggles my mind that entire generations have grown/could grow up without ever experiencing peace.

31. 144 susanne
    December 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm

chuck is having some fun:

‘ One day, shortly before the 2012 presidential election, I spent a fine few moments chatting with Valerie Jarrett in the stands of a high-school football stadium in Florida where the president was about to speak. He was preceded on the platform by Pitbull, a rapper of some renown and, as best i can recall, neither Jarrett nor I were able to summon up offhand much of Mr. Bull’s oeuvre. We mainly talked about the troubles people were having in their attempts to vote in Florida.

Little did I know that, there in the bright afternoon sunshine, I was speaking with the shadowy genius behind the takeover of the Republic. ‘

• 145 LDS
      December 30, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Susanne, so glad he is having fun “after the fact”. I sure wished he done some serious journalism and REPORTED about “the troubles people were having on their attempts to vote in Florida.”

Oh, I don’t know…..how long they were standing in lines. Polls closing down early. You know,something on the lives of those who were not not feeling “the bright afternoon sunshine”. Just damn hot as hell!
      I hope he has as much fun when’s herons for President.

Hell, if Sarah Palin…..why not?
      We ARE talking about a “shadowy genius”

• 146 LDS
        December 30, 2013 at 8:02 pm

(when she runs for President)

• 147 susanne
        December 30, 2013 at 8:10 pm

well, my memory is far from perfect, but i seem to recall he did rant about voting restrictions. i know he’s not always supportive of the president’s decisions, but his perspective is usually refreshing and often hilarious. one thing i know, though, is that he is decidedly not pro-palin!

• 148 LDS
          December 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm

My memory is far from anything near perfect, also.
          I just cannot stand looking at the guy who claims to be a journalist. That’s just me.
          He does not have to be supportive of the President’s decisions, just report the facts, the truth.

“Usually refreshing and often hilarious”……hmmm.

• 149 susanne
            December 30, 2013 at 9:00 pm

maybe you’re thinking i was referring to chuck todd? i’m referencing charles pierce, and called him ‘chuck’ because it is a silly sounding name (sorry to any serious guys named chuck).

32. 152 dotster3
    December 30, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Looks like blue skies on Oahu, as PBO heads out for a round of golf with friends today

• 153 susanne
      December 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm

i missed seeing this hit the local news site because i was busy blogging away here about how there’s nothing about the president’s vacation in the local news today. still, we want photos of more than the black cars and the blue skies!

33. 154 andogriff
    December 30, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Well done on some excellent “memorable moments”, VC! Thanks so much for the beautiful presentation.

December 30, 2013 at 7:49 pm

December 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm

36. 163 mtmarilyn
    December 30, 2013 at 8:21 pm

VC, what a wonderful collection of memories. It is amazing what we have seen here that is never mentioned in the msm.

37. 164 MightyPamela
    December 30, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Been out most of today, so, now how will I ever ever ever catch up with y’all?? :)

• 165 Dudette
      December 30, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Ha! Just think of this place like the East Australian Current. There’s nothing you can do but just jump in and swim with the tide! :-)

• 166 MightyPamela
        December 30, 2013 at 10:43 pm

:lol: Just Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming! Actually, I have swum in that current, in this lifetime, yes, beautifu! :lol:

38. 167 0388jojothecat
    December 30, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Thank you VC for a wonderful remembrance of the words of PBO that started the ball rolling for the Arab Spring and the infectious desire for peoples around the world living under dictators to rise up and demand more. I think those same words can be extended to the GOP too who this president has extended his hand to only be slapped back.

Thank all you for reminding us of the greatness of President Obama. I refuse to watch MSM when they start spewing lies because I can get the truth here on The Obama Diary.

December 30, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Very nice signature moments, vc.

I did a double-take on your signature.

40. 169 HZ
    December 30, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Vc, I am sitting in my favorite seat at one of the most beautiful concerts listening to one of the most magnificent Piano Concertos.

First Movement: Luscious and Delicious Memories
    Second Movement: The Brilliant Moves of a Man With His Family.
    Third Movement: To The People,” I am and will be your President also.

Standing Ovation, Vc.

Thanks Chips for giving all of these brilliant souls give us such a lovely time of remembering such wonderful memories to carry with us forever.HZ
    Beautiful to my ears, beautiful to my eyes, and beautiful to my spirit.
    Thank you so much for your memories and now my heart is singing again from another one of TOD’s Lovely Memories. HZ

41. 170 yardarm756