Dec

2013: Chips’ Most Memorable Moments

by Me

1 The Inauguration

Ah, the most magical of days, made all the more lovely by spending it in TOD’s company. And the updates and photos from the TOD meet-up in DC made it even better ….. although I heard VC was left behind in the room behind the main one, talking to herself :roll:

2 Gabby Giffords’ Statement at the Senate Hearing on Gun Violence

She’s just an inspirational woman, her courage is beyond description.

#TheTimeIsNow

Mark Kelly’s pride in his extraordinary wife:

President Obama greets former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and her husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly, in the Oval Office after they testified at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on gun violence, Jan. 30, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

3 The President and First Lady visiting the Fast for Families immigration protestors on the Mall

As SmartyPants put it, “when has a White House shown this kind of support to activists? The answer: Never.”

An incredibly powerful moment, the President of the United States and the First Lady departing the White House to show solidarity with immigration activists on the Mall.

Of the people, for the people.

4 Obamacare

The coalition of forces, $$ supported $$ by the MSM, that united against the Affordable Care Act, was a sight to behold, even so-called progressives – the privileged ones, need it be said? – like Ezra Klein did their level best to belittle and undermine the efforts to make health insurance affordable for all Americans.

Now?

They’re frothing at the mouth as those enrollment figures soar.

Obamacare is enriching people’s lives.

Thank you Barack Obama. What an amazing legacy.

5 A President Abroad

As if Nelson Mandela’s Memorial Service wasn’t emotional enough, the outpouring of love from the South African people for the First Couple was a truly beautiful thing.

And needless to say, this image from June will live long in the memory:

6 Respect

This photo from Pete Souza: Respect.

Day after day we see efforts to diminish this President, to attach him to scandal, to demonize him, to smear him, lying shills like Jon Karl and Chuck Todd leading the MSM charge.

And I always smile when they gleefully report poor polling figures for the President.

Remember: Almost 46% of Americans voted for Sarah Palin (and John McCain) in 2008, and over 47% for Mitt Romney in 2012. No, seriously.

These people would have voted for Satan rather than a black man. But that’s never an ‘issue’ the MSM will address.

So, the President’s ‘ceiling’ is around 50% – his opponents are lost in a wilderness of hate, even though they benefit from his work.

The latest GOP/Rasmussen figure? 48% approval.

There you have it: the people who put their faith in him still believe in him – and respect him.

Like that man in the photo.

Because he knows Barack Obama is fighting for him.

7 Genius

Choosing Billie Jean King and Caitlin Cahow as part of the delegation to represent the White House at the Sochi Olympics in 2014.

President Obama?

You brilliant rascal.

8 The Fun

I have no clue how he does it, but he remains cheerful through all this madness – and I love him for it.

9 The Blog Tyrants

On a personal bloggy note ….. the day UT agreed to run TOD with me was a bit fantabulous, at that stage I just couldn’t keep things going on my own, too much going on, and then this bundle of awesomeness teamed up and bloggy life has been a joy ever since.

Honestly, I can never ever thank UT enough, you have no idea how many ridicuously-short-notice messages I have sent her asking her to do, say, a R&S at two minutes notice, and not once has she said: “GO AWAY!”

So, I adore this brilliant woman, even if her taste in soccer teams is totally rubbish.

And I also too adore our regular blog tyrants, Liberal Librarian, Lovely Plains, Zizi and even Amk – you have all brought SO much to this place, thank you.

10 You

Too many memorable 2013 moments to mention, but ‘you people’ are the very, very best, you make me smile and think every single day, thank you for your company on this lovely trip – wishing you and your loved ones a healthy, happy, joyful 2014.

#Forward

150 Responses to “2013: Chips’ Most Memorable Moments”

1. 1 susanne
    December 31, 2013 at 8:56 pm

happy new year!

December 31, 2013 at 9:02 pm

shoulda. coulda. dropped this at midnight.

3. 8 susanne
    December 31, 2013 at 9:02 pm

aloha chips! just us tonight, so pass the cheezy puffs!

4. December 31, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Very beautiful and well-chosen, Chips, great work. Wishing a 2014 full of good things for you and the great Danny.

5. December 31, 2013 at 9:05 pm

The COOPS OF THE GRASS OF THE TOD MOMENTS!!!!!! (Not at all to diminish all of the other WONDROUS, spot-on TODer “moments” contributions!) Chips!!!! LOVE!

6. 13 susanne
    December 31, 2013 at 9:07 pm

time to get this party started!

December 31, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Thank YOU Chips. This is a BEAUTIFUL post. You simply can’t hold back the waterworks when you see that “respect” photo of the gentleman saluting PBO from outside the van. This is what the media doesn’t NOT want America or the world to see/know. I echo your lovely tribute towards the mini-blog tyrants, and to the TOD-deputy, UT who does an amazing job holding down the fort. I will NEVER forget how she provided coverage of PBO’s visit to the various African countries – with the time zone difference I was simply in awe….

Anyway thanks again Chips for your creation of this nourishing and vibrant space – like PBO, it is essential and came at the right time, and we will NEVER, ever forget your contribution. Happy New Year!!!!

P.S. I’m claiming first for the first thread of 2014 —whenever that is….. :) :) :)

8. 21 Ladyhawke
    December 31, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Love you madly Chips. Thank you for this haven from a hostile world.

9. December 31, 2013 at 9:09 pm

Thank you, Chips!

Not just for this post, for this wonderful positive haven.

It has been a calm boat in stormy seas.

With all the lies against the President, thank you for the truth :)

10. December 31, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Wonderful, beautiful………sigh. I love this place and all the people here. TOD just keeps going and going and going and going and………..
    you get the picture. :) :) :)

In 2014—-Be inspired. Be original. Set goals. Work Hard. Laugh. Love. Smile. Be kind. Take chances. Tell others what they mean to you. Leave your comfort zone. Learn. Enjoy.

11. 25 forus50
    December 31, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Chips, I know you’ve heard this many times but I just gotta say; you are a beautiful writer. I teared up reading your words to the accompanying videos. Thank you and Happy New Year.

December 31, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Chips – That was delightful. Totally. And I teared up on #10. If there were any gang, crew, corps, gathering, tweeps, club, fraternity, sorority, lodge, congregation, fellowship, sisterhood, brotherhood, first responders, or any other big ol’ group I’d MOST want to be a part of going forward, as we #TrustBarack, it’s this TOD family! Many personal thanks to you and UT and the other BTs for keeping it going. We need to do this, and – with your providing the platform, each and every day – we will!

13. December 31, 2013 at 9:19 pm

If you check Jeff’s TL, for the past few hours he’s been whacking one #teabagger after another and having loads of fun doing so :)

December 31, 2013 at 9:22 pm

This is a beautiful list. These memories and many more are what keeps me (and all of us) going. If President Obama can hang his head high, toil everyday for a world not as it is, but a world as it should be, with a smile on his face even as hate is hurled at him, then we can keep on working for positive change for our fellow man.

Thank you for the very kind words and acknowledgment, Chiparoo. It’s been a fantastic year working side by side with you. Thank you for welcoming me into the oasis that is TOD and for trusting that I would be up to the task.

Thank you TODers for all the positive feedback. You’re a wonderful bunch.

Excuse me?! My taste in soccer teams is F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S. We’re currently ending the year on a high note and where is Man United? Huh? CRUSHED by the bottom of Chelsea’s – aka The Greatest Team Ever – cleats.

15. December 31, 2013 at 9:22 pm

*Gives Chips a big hug*

Happy New Year’s Eve, all! I am on my third drink, and our guests aren’t even here yet. Two Manhattans, and a Brass Monkey. What’s a Brass Monkey, you ask?

Brass Monkey:

1 oz. vodka
    1 oz. rum
    3 oz. OJ

Delish.

• 32 forus50
      December 31, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I’m a dork. I think the only thing Anderson Cooper is good for is entertaining me on New Years Eve. Yeah, that makes no sense even to me…

• 35 forus50
      December 31, 2013 at 9:35 pm

LL, this is what the Irish call a PattyWhack. I made it for my St. Patty’s Day party last year and it was a hit!
      Shot of Vodka with a few splashes of Lime juice , a Dash of agave, fill tall Collins glass with Ginger ale and garnish with fresh mint

16. 36 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Beautiful, Chips.

I don’t believe I have ever seen the picture of the man saluting PBO. Just warmed my heart.

Thank you, again for the beautiful space, all the amazing blog tyrants and the wonderful commenters. I learn something new every day here.

17. 37 Lynn
    December 31, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Thank you, Ms. Chips for creating this site. Thank you UT for carrying the torch. Thanks to each and every bt, contributor. poster amd lurker.

You have all helped me.

18. 38 Lynn
    December 31, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I post rarely, but you folks have been family like you won’t believe.

I just learned that my 15 year old down syndrome nephew has passed. He was my deaf sister’s only child.

19. 66 Vicki
    December 31, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Chips, This list was so warmhearted and moving.
    Thank you to all TOD blog persons who wrote these best moments. Sharing these moments all year has been a privilege and pleasure.

I’d like to share two things I’m especially thrilled about a few hours before the year changes.

I had a bit of a medical emergency today and my doctor’s office phone advised me that they were closed until January 6.
    But I have good insurance so a half hour looking on the web, a phone call and in no time i got the help and prescriptions & advice I needed to deal with a spreading infection.
    What I am thrilled about is that as of 12:01 tonight millions and millions of Americans will have access to the same good care I got today. Thank you President Obama for caring about your people, all your people.

The second thing I’m singing about is that by 12:01 Bill De Blasio will be Mayor of NYC and M. Bloomberg is finally removed from center stage. 12 years TOD. In the words of a local newspaper: ( like merry Xmas to all and to all a good night) “A New Day is dawning after 5 terms of night.”
    That’s Giuliani+ Bloomberg!!!!

This amazing blog has been a light in my life. Thanks and a Happy New Year to everyone.

20. 68 GGail
    December 31, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I come back in time to see Chipsticks’ contribution to our Memories.

All I will say is that I’ve been walking with you from the start and will continue to walk with you. I love you more than you can realize! Thank you for creating your own blog (TOD) and allowing us to nourish it.

December 31, 2013 at 9:37 pm
  22. 71 carolyn
    December 31, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Just beautiful! And yes, the man saluting the President brought tears to my eyes! I’d never seen it before either. I wonder what other gems Pete Souza has for us.

Oh Chips, thanks so much for the good picture of my favorite….and Mighty Pamela’s and HZ’s….the SILVER FOX…….I miss him.

Happy New Year to all of you at TOD…….what a wonderful place this is.

23. 72 whatisworking
    December 31, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Chips you are the best. Love the memories you have shared here today. Looking forward to making more memories with everyone here in 2014.

December 31, 2013 at 9:40 pm
  25. 76 Ladyhawke
    December 31, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Bob Cesca ‏@bobcesca_go 25m

Online Journalism in 2013: “A lie can travel halfway around the world before the truth gets its pants on. Click-bait is everything.”

26. 77 Grab a mop grace
    December 31, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Delurking long enough to wish you all a happy healthy New Year!
    Thank you Chips for another year of awesomeness.
    YOU. ARE.THE.BEST

December 31, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Let’s send some thoughts and prayers up for our Marines and all other military who are willing to go in harm’s way around the globe tonight, so we and our families can enjoy a peaceful New Year’s Eve here at home!

28. December 31, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Happy New Year Everybody…Be Safe.

I’m staying in the house because I have to work tomorrow, but I admit if I didn’t have to work, I would probably be downtown in NOLA ringing in the New Year with my peeps. Even though I still remember that one year, a tourist was killed by a falling bullet that was shot in the air for New Year’s Day. So everyone be safe.

Tourist Killed By Falling Bullet

December 31, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Humpfff! I wasn’t talking to myself, I was singing! :roll: Or was that the time I was laughing? Can’t remember, but I KNOW I WASN’T TALKING!

30. 96 pkayden
    December 31, 2013 at 9:49 pm

“although I heard VC was left behind in the room behind the main one, talking to herself :roll:”

TOO TOO FUNNY!

31. 98 Eveingeorgia
    December 31, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Ah Chips, your moments made me catch my breath. The inauguration memories with JT AND Beyoncé in the background nearly made me cry. Thank you so much. I had never seen the salute picture. That picture inspires hope for a better tomorrow,

32. December 31, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Fabulous thread! I really love the, “Oh, shoot” video!!

33. December 31, 2013 at 9:59 pm
  34. 107 0388jojothecat
    December 31, 2013 at 10:00 pm

My last New Years Eve party that I went to was in 1982 and this was the song…..we partied like it was 1999. The reason it was the last one I went to was after midnight we drove to another party but never made it because we got into a six car accident. No one was seriously hurt but it taught me to walk to any New Year Eve party. If one of my neighbors are not having a party…I am staying home. I am living in Pasadena so everyone is camping out on Colorado Blvd or one of the parade routes. I am close enough to walk to Colorado and see it when it gets down to my street then walk home. Youtube doesn’t have Princes “Party like its 1999″ :(

• 108 Betsy
      January 1, 2014 at 5:11 am

Enjoy the parade. It’s on my bucket list to go and see it, but I don’t want to camp out in the cold. Maybe next year😉.

35. December 31, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Thank you Chips for making this a wonderful space full of facts, information and fun as well as a place to revel in the love of our President. It starts and ends my day everyday. Happy New Year to you and the incredible TOD family.

December 31, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Terrific job, Chips Chica! Dare I say i pick on you so often because I love you – you know, the pull ponytail, hide i-pad kind of love?

37. 114 proudmemberofglobalzero
    December 31, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I want to wish everyone here and EVERYWHERE a very , Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year! Please note that prosper is not just monetary….it is good deeds you do for others!

Love and Peace to all,
    Sue!

38. December 31, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I’m fading fast and won’t be seeing the ball drop at midnight, so just let me say Happy New Year, TODers. The Best Is Yet To Come.

39. December 31, 2013 at 10:25 pm

Chips, this is a great list from 2013. May we all be here again next year. You gave me an early peak at the list, did you know? ;)

40. December 31, 2013 at 10:27 pm

2012 Convention Speech…..

• December 31, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Sometime in 2004 I heard or saw or read the news that a Republican candidate for Senator dropped out of his race in Illinois. That left a seat wide open for this young unknown politician. I don’t remember if they said he was black. But I do remember they said he had been against the Iraq war. That made my heart leap for joy. Then I heard about this other guy Carpetbagging into Illinois that I’d heard way to much of, Allen Keyes. It wasn’t easy getting much more news but the next thing I knew he was speaking at the 2004 Dem Convention. So I’ve admired this guy for awhile now. Thankfully so does Hubby. And even better I heard him speak again at the 2008 and 2012 Dem Convention and two Inaugurals.
      Happy New Year Mr. President and to your family and loved ones. (((((Big Hug)))))

41. 123 Layla
    December 31, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Off to work I go. I wish all of you and your families a very Happy New Year! God bless the First Family!

42. December 31, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Since I had my DNA done for Ancestry.com I know I’m part Irish. Think it was those Vikings. But I know I’m part English too. I saw this online four hours before my New Year starts. Hope you enjoy as much as I did. I think y’all know how much I love animals of all kinds. Please enjoy. . .

43. 126 Bill R.
    December 31, 2013 at 10:28 pm

A glorious post and list from this year, Chips! Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all you do, and to the fabulous blog tyrants and their service!

44. December 31, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Happy New Year ….One and All..Ms Chipssssss…UT….all TODers

45. 129 JER
    December 31, 2013 at 10:35 pm
    December 31, 2013 at 10:39 pm

The Army’s awake, 24/7 !

47. 131 JER
    December 31, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Thank you Chips for all the wonderful memories.

48. December 31, 2013 at 10:40 pm

We have our work cut out for us. . .

December 31, 2013 at 10:41 pm

FYI.

• 134 Bill R.
      December 31, 2013 at 10:48 pm

This delay is for two days and only applies to Roman Catholic organizations. I am speculating that Sotomayor is choosing to deal with this on her watch, rather than wait for another RW justice to deal with the appeal. They handle these emergency appeals on a rotating basis.

50. 135 JER
    December 31, 2013 at 10:44 pm
    December 31, 2013 at 10:45 pm
  52. 140 taiping1
    December 31, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Happy NewYear everyone and thanks Chips for posting (at last) your memorable moments. Love our President. Love Gabby. Love all the people who, just like those in the vibrant TOD community, support our President, his family, and his vision of the world as it can be and commitment to realizing the dream. Thanks to all the BTs and especially to UTAL. 2014 is the year we again prove the pundits wrong and return the gavel to Nancy Smash.

53. 141 JER
    December 31, 2013 at 10:45 pm
  54. December 31, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Thank you dear Chips for your good wishes and 2013 memory lane. We are grateful for all you do for us. Happy New Year to you and Danny.

December 31, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Here we go again….Target…

56. 144 Lynn
    December 31, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I will be forever grateful to share a new year with all of the beautiful, hard-working, dedicated crazy-ass folks.

Once upon a time someone said: “A thing of beauty is a joy forever.”

So have you created, Ms. Chips.

57. 145 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    December 31, 2013 at 10:56 pm

On my way to Watch Night Service. Just dipping in to say Happy New Year! In 2014, may you continue to be Blessed with love, peace and joy! I love my TOD Family!

58. 147 JER
    December 31, 2013 at 10:58 pm
  59. December 31, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Chips, many, many thanks, especially, for #6. Outside of loooooving that photo, see, I’ve come to only rely on TOD for most news now, but it’s ridiculous, on reflection, to realize the stuff that still ‘floats up’ (I say up b/c it definitely starts below). All I’ve been gathering is how the President’s poll #s have ‘plummeted’, ‘tanked’, are ‘unrecoverable’. So gop/rasmussen is at 48%??!! Thank you!! #TrustBarack! 2014 LET’S DO THIS.

60. 150 Nena20409
    January 1, 2014 at 12:49 pm

TODably Awesome. I love it. This 2013 Memory Lane is beautiful Chips.

Happy New Year…..2014 is finally Here ;)