Dec

2013: Most Memorable Moments – by Bob, Carol (x2) & Eve

by Bob

The  following is my humble offering to the lovely tradition you have launched to encourage TODers to reflect on key moments of the Presidency of Barack Obama’s second term:

“President Obama said he wouldn’t negotiate with Republicans over raising the debt limit and funding the government, and he never really needed to pick up the phone. The deal that passed both houses of Congress Wednesday achieves both goals, with minuscule concessions from the president’s side. In the crude analogy of two cars playing chicken, the president’s opponents pulled over. After 16 days of a government shutdown, the Republican Party has achieved its lowest approval ratings in recorded history, the president’s health care plan is unscathed, and the GOP’s civil war still roars. Proof was on the cable television split-screens.  As Republican Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell was announcing the bipartisan deal that ended the standoff, Sen. Ted Cruz was holding his own press conference denouncing the Senate establishment that had caved.” (Slate)

Without any doubt, had Senator Reid and Congresswoman Pelosi not stood steadfastly with President Obama the Office of the President of the United States would have been severely damaged and a MINORITY of radicals would have set the precedent of being able to control the Executive Branch of our Government.

Meta, College Kay, amk, and SmartyPants have shared many of the 2013 heart-wrenching, powerful, and transformational acts of President Obama.

For me, the act that may well be among the most important of his two-terms, if not the most important historically, is that he courageously blocked a Minority Coup that would have undermined the Office of the President – 224 years into the great American experiment in Democracy.

So, I’ll limit my contribution to 1 instead of 10 memorable moments, for the reasons stated above and because our colleagues have already beautifully summarized many of President Obama’s actions throughout 2013 that I would have selected.

#TrustBarack

Yes We Can

by Carol Duhart

President Obama’s second inauguration:

While the first inauguration was magical, the second was more than magic. The American people chose to re-elect him.  Before 2012, even though Obama was doing a good job, there was always the saying by some that Obama was a fluke-a flirtation with diversity that would end as soon as an “adequate” candidate showed up. Or that he benefited by having McCain/Palin as opponents. But Obama has proven that diversity and change were not just flavors of the week by winning comfortably and later having a good and inspirational re-inauguration

The Obamacare website fizzle:

Really, after all of the fuss, that is what things have come down to? A website with glitches? I mean, no website runs perfectly on the first day ever. No matter how many tests, there are some things that you just don’t know are a problem until a real person actually uses it. And even then, all of the fuss didn’t stop millions from trying and retrying until they got enrolled. And it looks like it’s on its way to meet the numbers hoped for in enrollments

The Iran agreement:

For just about as long as I can remember, the shadow of a war that first engulfed the Middle East and brought in the rest of the world has hung over everything. To see Obama bring Russia and China into a peace-making agreement with Iran is huge. And do the same with Syria-all without firing a shot. Add the ending of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars mean that that Middle East war is further away than ever. Syria is terrible, but by itself won’t make it World War III or even a whole region conflagration.

In so many ways, Obama is the big cleanup of so many outmoded ideas.  The end of the “war on terror” replaced by a nearly won war on al-Qaeda. The friendly rapprochement to Cuba and Iran. His support of alternative energy instead of pandering for votes by “drill, drill, drill” for cheaper gas.  And so much more.

by EveInGeorgia

Eve chose 10 of President Obama’s speeches from 2013

January 21: The second inauguration

February 12: State of the Union

March 21: Speech in Israel

April 18: Speech in Boston

May 23: Perpetual War speech

June 5: Appointments of Susan Rice and Samantha Power

July 19: Remarks on Trayon Martin

August 28: The 50th Anniversary of Dr King’s speech

It was one of the most spectacular days of my life, the day was indescribable! Because of my disability, I was allowed to sit in a great section. Hence, I was able to scoot around and take pictures of some great folk: Oprah, John Lewis, Elijah Cummings, Jaime Foxx, Al Sharpton, Bill Russell…..I couldn’t believe it, all these folk passed right near us, and they were gracious to a fault.

I thought all the presidents’ speeches were great, but President Obama’s was simply elegant.

What a blessed day.

September 10: Address to the nation on Syria

October 17: Speech on the budget deal

by CarolMaeWY

President Obama was sworn in twice for the second time. Only one other president was sworn in four times, Franklin D. Roosevelt.

The President can have a new career as a comedian. His time at the podium during the WHCD was great this year, as it has been in other years. How did you like his new entrance music?

Rush warned you, Second Term Baby! Republicans, if you want to reach out to minorities, reach out to me!

We also enjoyed FLOTUS in BANGS – and Mom Dancing!

Carole King is the First Woman to receive the Gershwin Award. This is the first musical presentation I watched. I never knew it was possible. I missed so much before I found TOD.

It’s one of our nation’s highest arts honors, given to recognize contribution to pop music and culture — and in 2013, the President awarded it to Carole King, legendary singer and songwriter responsible for hits like “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman.”

Two people received the Medal of Honor from our President this year. Poignant moments for all involved.

Former Army Staff Sgt. Clinton Romesha Receives the Medal of Honor

“With gunfire impacting all around him, Clint raced to one of the barracks and grabbed a machine gun. He took aim at one of the enemy machine teams and took it out. A rocket-propelled grenade exploded, sending shrapnel into his hip, his arm, and his neck. But he kept fighting, disregarding his own wounds, and tending to an injured comrade instead.” – President Obama, February 11, 2013

U.S. Army Captain William Swenson Receives the Medal of Honor

Swenson received the Medal of Honor for his courageous actions while serving as an Embedded Trainer and Mentor of the Afghan National Security Forces with Afghan Border Police Mentor Team, 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, during a lengthy battle with the Taliban in Kunar Province, Afghanistan on September 8, 2009.

A New Dog at the White House

Sunny, a sweet and friendly 1-year-old girl pup, arrived at the White House to keep Bo and the Obama family company. We all know how special a new dog is.

President Obama continues to be a great judge in character. Let’s not forget Ambassador Susan Rice is now his National Security Adviser and we have Ambassador Powell at the U.N.

Also Senators confirmed Vice Adm. Michelle Howard for the service’s No. 2 post on Dec. 20, making her the first female four-star admiral in the Navy’s 238-year history.

Her promotion to vice chief of naval operations, expected for early 2014, will also make her the first African-American woman to attain four-star rank in Pentagon history.

We enjoyed celebrating President Obama’s 52nd Birthday with many photos of his life here on TOD and Twitter.

During President Obama and the First Lady’s trip to Africa many commented on Michele being a descendent of slaves.

Thought you’d be interested in this story:

President Obama Ancestry

Obama Has Ties to Slavery Not by His Father but His Mother, Research Suggests

Mark Bunch, who directs his family’s online lineage project, said of President Obama, “I’m his fifth cousin twice removed.”

By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG

President Obama’s biography — son of a black father from Kenya and a white mother from Kansas — has long suggested that unlike most African-Americans, his roots did not include slavery.

One tool used by a team of genealogists over the course of two years was an online database maintained by the Bunch family.

Now a team of genealogists is upending that thinking, saying that Mr. Obama’s mother had, in addition to her European ancestors, at least one African forebear and that the president is most likely descended from one of the first documented African slaves in the United States.

More information can be found at Wikipedia. It’s a complicated story.

So much more to do and enjoy in 2014! FORWARD! TRUST BARACK!

146 Responses to “2013: Most Memorable Moments – by Bob, Carol (x2) & Eve”

1. 1 japa21
    December 31, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Did I beat Chips?

2. December 31, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Awesome roundup. I forgot about the WHCD. Always great.

3. December 31, 2013 at 3:50 pm

My favorite moment of 2013: 12:00:01 Jan, 1st.

So thankful President Obama is still POTUS for 4 more years.

4. 22 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Fantastic round up TOders!!!

5. December 31, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Oh, forgot.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Have a great time however you choose to spend it.

6. December 31, 2013 at 3:56 pm

More great memorable moments. :-)

I’m still going through the awesome photos that Pete Souza is sharing.

I found the video that goes with this pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whitehouse/8555120172/in/photostream/

Rainer and Atticus at the White House!

• December 31, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Thanks for posting, I’ve never seen this. I heard about them on and Ellen clip, but I didn’t know thus or who named the White House.
      I wonder why he named it that, other than its white? ? ? Never knew about the bears either.

7. 28 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 4:03 pm

LOL: Chips, this would go nicely with my piece, please!! :) :)

8. 29 JER
    December 31, 2013 at 4:05 pm

9. 30 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 4:07 pm

December 31, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Like their cable TV media counterparts (FOX, CNN), MSNBC has spent the entire year lurching from one silly manufactured nontroversy to the other. Their entire morning to early afternoon lineup is not much different from FOX news. Then they try to play “Good Cop” with one or two segments sprinkled over the course of the evening shows, after helping to spread the same anti-Obama propaganda they profess to object to.

December 31, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Great memories.

11. December 31, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Thank you Chips, Carol x 2 & Eve!!!!

12. December 31, 2013 at 4:17 pm

13. December 31, 2013 at 4:20 pm

And …..

• 39 jackiegrumbacher
      December 31, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Bob, the president had done all the hard work and laid the foundation for this growth and the Republicans knew what was coming, which is why Romney kept saying that his very election would trigger a big economic boom, just because of who he…umm…was. They were not only disappointed at their loss, they were furious that President Obama might rightly claim this growth as an outcome of his own leadership. That’s why we see so much constant downplaying of the economic news and the absurd attempts to suggest that the good news is independent of anything the president did. They are all really laughable and so painfully obvious.

December 31, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Spot on, jackie! Spot ON!

• December 31, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Precisely, Jackie. And, what is truly sad is how much further the economy would be – for everyone, not just the rich – if the GOP hadn’t done everything it could to wreck it just to harm President Obama. Fortunately, a significant majority of Americans saw the truth and voted on 6 Nov 2012 for PBO!

Now we need to clean House (not just Federal, but State and local) on 4 Nov 2014.

Yes We Can

• 42 criquet
      December 31, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Sorry for the double post, Bobfr, I did not see your earlier post.

December 31, 2013 at 4:21 pm

People looooooooove this image. If I were the kid (hopefully he or his parents see the picture from Pete Souza) I’d frame this picture. It is a for life perfect Kodak moment.

December 31, 2013 at 4:28 pm

This is one for the history books. Meanwhile, the little one seems happily oblivious to the enormity of what is going on behind him – he’s just smiling because he thinks someone is pointing a camera at his table… :) :) :)

15. December 31, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Amazing livestream from Kiev #euromaidan

16. 51 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 4:37 pm

All aboard?

17. 52 criquet
    December 31, 2013 at 4:37 pm

18. 54 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 4:46 pm

December 31, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Thank you Bob, Carol D, Carolmae and Eve for sharing these top moments. Bob the shutdown was indeed a pivotal moment in PBO’s presidency – I don’t think the GOP or the media saw that one coming. It shocked them and led to the exaggerated hysteria about the ACA website – which soon fizzled, as Carol D pointed out. The website is no longer an issue – the phony hysteria surrounding it has indeed fizzled, and ACA is surging, which is why MHP segment featuring Romney’s grandson is now a topic of outrage for the right.
    Eve, I wish someone could make a a DVD of PBO’s speeches by the year – this year we saw some extraordinary speeches as exemplified by those you listed here. Carolmae, I enjoyed reading your top 10 – you listed some excellent new ones that I had forgotten about like the WHCD, and the bestowing of the Medals of Honor. Great choices from all of you, and what an amazing year we had in 2013!!!!

20. 57 jackiegrumbacher
    December 31, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Three gems this afternoon. Bob, you really got to the gist of the important moment in the year when a right wing cabal thought they could intimidate the president into surrendering to their demands. They convinced themselves that this powerful, spine-like-steel president was weak and they couldn’t believe it when it was they, not the president, who had to cave. They and the media ALWAYS underestimate him at their peril.

Carol D, terrific reminder of the times when the president overcame expectations and proved, again, how exceptional he is–a perfect, perfect compliment to Bob’s opening.

Eve, the heart of our president lies in his speeches. They are all the reflections of the things that matter to him and they will be poured over by students and historians for generations to come. Thanks for the reminders.

And Carol in WY, you brought back warm memories of the people connections the president’ made on his 2013 journey, all of which made for joyous and emotional days here at TOD. The president has given us much to be proud of in the manner in which he conducts his presidency. There are presidents that I have liked, some I’ve tolerated and others I loathed, but I have never had a president who inspires so much love and, by his very presence, instills so much pride in our country.

Bravo to all of you. And have a great new year. As Bob said on early earlier thread, “in 2014, we roll.”

21. 60 whatisworking
    December 31, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Hi All

Excitement Alert

The photo in the last post is of the party I attended, and the top of my head is in the picture. Be still my heart. A thousand thanks to Chips for putting up that picture. Where did you get it and are there more?

Here is the photo with an arrow to help you find the dwarf :->

• December 31, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Nooooooo way Linda, that’s fantastic!!! It’s from Pete Souza’s ‘Year in Photos’ on Flickr.

• 63 africa
      December 31, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Wowza, Linda!! History!!

• 64 carolyn
      December 31, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Wow! To be that close to BOTH of them…..Be still my heart!!!

Carol…..”In so many ways Obama is the big cleanup of so many outmoded ideas”……YES!!! and the cleanup of so many fallacious, egregious, I even say evil policies. This was why he HAD to have TWO terms!!! So much of the detritus of those policies from Reagan’s, both Bushes’ terms is just now coming to light, and the effects are finally being shown.

I remember an interview I saw with Axlerod just a year or so ago, in which he said that what they were presented with the Wednesday morning after the election was SO much worse than they had been told before…..they were quite overwhelmed, but as we know, the President and his team just dug in and got to work, and put a good, optimistic public face on.

Every time I read one of these top ten moments, I am reminded of things I have forgotten. Once again, Thank you.

• 65 Roberta in Mn
      December 31, 2013 at 5:36 pm

What a great day for you Linda. Woot.!!! :)

• 66 jackiegrumbacher
      December 31, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Wow, Linda, what a great seat! And stop making fun of your height. We are only 1/2 inch apart. The view is great down here.

• 67 whatisworking
        December 31, 2013 at 6:23 pm

So sorry sweet short one. I almost never mind being short, until I am in a crowd. I am tall in my mind…

December 31, 2013 at 5:41 pm

WOW Linda – this indeed is something to be very excited about! Sounds like it was a fabulous experience for you. :)

• 69 99ts
      December 31, 2013 at 6:01 pm

Woohoo – how amazing is that – a wonderful reward for all that you do Linda.

• 70 dotster3
      December 31, 2013 at 6:16 pm

I thought that might have been your event—-and asked here. Hooray!

• 71 dotster3
      December 31, 2013 at 6:26 pm

And I love to see you—-tucked in there—:)—–with all those other great Obama supporters from around the country——all thrilled, I’m sure, by this tremendous reward for their hard work. I loved your whole tale, from the prep—–Cinderella going to the ball—-to the coup de grace of being in such close proximity to our First Couple and hearing our president speak—–to you!

• 72 Nena20409
      December 31, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Wow…..Awesome.

Congrats.

22. 73 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 5:24 pm

• 74 jackiegrumbacher
      December 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Awwww..poor baby. The pope doesn’t understand his rich, greedy, selfish heart.

• December 31, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Crank it up to 10!!

First the RWNJs try to saddle PBO with criticism from the Catholic Church over healthcare and family planning rights. Now they’re dissing the Pope because he is speaking the truth about compassion. They must be so confused!

December 31, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I have a feeling the Pope doesn’t really care about understanding the rich. I mean I’m sure he doesn’t hate or dislike rich people,

• 77 Nena20409
      December 31, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Perhaps Home Depot Founder should Just read the New Testament on Jesus’ words and Wealthy folks.

December 31, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Nena, You speak the truth their. If these Republicans were to truly know anything about Jesus and the Bible they would see that Jesus hung around with the poor, the needy, the ill, he wasn’t out there hanging around with the rich or the kings . The very people the Republicans put down, look down upon are the ones Jesus hung around.

23. 79 Linda
    December 31, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Dec 31 (Reuters) – A U.S. judge on Tuesday struck down a Florida law requiring drug screening for welfare recipients, saying that it violated the constitutional protection against unreasonable searches.

Florida Governor Rick Scott, a Republican who campaigned on a promise to expand drug testing, said he would appeal the ruling.

24. 84 Roberta in Mn
    December 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Chips, and all of you who shared your 10 most important memories of 2013 are just awesome people. Thank you from the the bottom of my heart. They were all just great. There were so many things that went on this past year and thanks to Chips & the other Tyrants we were all well informed.
    Wishing you all a Wonderful New Years Eve and a beginning of 2014. Our year to Roar and get rid of the GOP.

25. December 31, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Another very moving set of 2013 memories from our fellow TODers. Thank you so much for sharing these extraordinary moments and reminding us how very fortunate we are to have our POTUS and First Family.

2014, HERE WE COME!!!!

26. December 31, 2013 at 6:03 pm

These MOMENTS….all of the Moments are so poignant…so exceptional…they are such beautiful reminders of how fortunate we are to have Barack Obama in the White House…I have revisited all of the moments and they fill me with up such emotion…no words can really describe how I feel….I look forward to more Moments from the village known as ~The Obama Diary~

27. December 31, 2013 at 6:04 pm

December 31, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Checking in….just woke from a little vacation nap….goodness, I love my naps:) Best part of vacation. I had a thought, if people were going to be here late tonight, rather than be out with the partiers for NYE…..we’ve talked about our 2013 memories…now we should look forward and visualize what we WANT to have happen in 2014…The serious wants, the funny wants, and the ones where karma might be involved….if you know what I mean :) How about it TOD???? Ring in the New Year with some thoughts on the New Year with Dems totally in charge? Sounds perfect, doesn’t it??

• 93 susanne
      December 31, 2013 at 6:06 pm

excellent idea! and prettyfoot has given us a ‘kick’ start :)

December 31, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Oh, yea!! You’ll be up later than ALL of us, too! Yes….pf’s thought was an excellent “kick” start!! It will be fun….add some music, some libations, some laughs….some vision and encouragement to get it all done…We Got This:)

• December 31, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Yes, let’s put our minds together to create our intentions for PROGRESS. We have a LOT of work to do!

29. 96 99ts
    December 31, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Another set of wonderful memories – thank you everyone who has contributed. If the President gets a dem congress – the 10s will have to be 100s in 2015 – sometimes it is hard to believe all he does despite the media and the GOP try so hard to stop those actions.

December 31, 2013 at 6:09 pm

December 31, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Romney and his excessive wealth control the media – which is shameful. The MHP apology made my local ABC news – imagine that. Yet when Willard and his son both made birther attacks on the President, that was hardly reported in the wider media. We heard about on Twitter and blogs, and the media looked the other way. Mark my word – the media will spend more time discussing/reporting the MHP segment on Romney’s grandson, than they ever spent discussing/reporting his refusal to release his tax returns.

32. December 31, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Another itty bitty favorite moment with PBO at the WH Kid’s State Dinner, an event created by FLOTUS to promote healthy eating and nutrition. Makenna was invited because of her recipe for Banana Muffins. This is so sweet!

33. December 31, 2013 at 6:20 pm

December 31, 2013 at 6:23 pm

• December 31, 2013 at 6:30 pm

HF….

as with Bashir….will this be a motive to replace MHP

December 31, 2013 at 6:39 pm

How about TeaNN spending some time telling us why millions of Americans will be going without health insurance because of the Republican Governors, who are only doing it because of politics. That is a bigger story then this non-story of MHP/Romney’s grandkid. I think I will send TeaNN a email.

December 31, 2013 at 6:30 pm

The Inconvenient Truth they WON’T talk about!

“About 5 million people will be without health care next year that they would have gotten simply if they lived somewhere else in America,” the AP reports.

“They make up a coverage gap in President Obama’s signature health care law created by the domino effects of last year’s Supreme Court ruling and states’ subsequent policy decisions. The court effectively left it up to states to decide whether to open Medicaid, the federal-state program for the poor and disabled, to more people, primarily poor working adults without children.”

“Twenty-five states declined. That leaves 4.8 million people in those states without the health care coverage that their peers elsewhere are getting through the expansion of Medicaid.”

“Politics is apparent in states’ expansion decisions. Of those that joined it, all but five supported Obama in last year’s election. Of those that declined, most are more conservative states in the South, Midwest and northern Rocky Mountains that voted against Obama.”

So for all this BS about people being denied healthcare, or being kicked of their plans….THIS IS THE REAL STORY YOU WON’T HEAR!!!

• 110 carolyn
      December 31, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Yes, and I live in one of the states that is not accepting the Medicaid money for expansion. Someone just the other day mentioned this, and I just told her, write the governor and majority leader of the house. This has nothing to do with President Obama, it was Mary Fallin’s decision. And people NEED this care here. We’re always in the bottom five in health care.
      We are lucky…..we’re retired and have Medicare and Tricare for Life…..federal programs….Mary Fallin can’t touch those!

36. 111 JER
    December 31, 2013 at 6:44 pm

LIVE NOW: New York City New Year’s Celebration – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

37. 113 99ts
    December 31, 2013 at 6:48 pm

The flickr photos are so amazing – I could be watching them for the next many hours while the US eventually catches up us into 2014 – can’t imagine how anyone can decide which ones to publish – nothing like it in any other Presidency of my memory

• 114 99ts
      December 31, 2013 at 6:55 pm

Just reached a picture I could have done without – PBO and Gov Christie – it will, no doubt be used against Christie in the 2016 primaries – why do GOP folks always look like sleaze when they smile – just doesn’t look real. Maybe they are naturally sad and miserable people.

December 31, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Truer words were never spoken!

39. December 31, 2013 at 7:01 pm

40. 123 Nena20409
    December 31, 2013 at 7:13 pm

There are FOUR corners of the TODable Globe.

How Sweet it is to have the Doc Bobfr, Carol, CarolmaeWY and Eve, indeed 4 Pillars, all TOD’s very own to walk Us all down the 2013 Memory Lane. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You so Very Much.

Superbly Done ;)

41. December 31, 2013 at 7:15 pm

December 31, 2013 at 7:24 pm

So, typical of his concise approach, my friend Bob zeroed in on a key ‘memorable moment’! :grin: Well done and thank you for sharing, Mr. Bobfr! I do agree that by holding firm PBO once more showed that he has a much better understanding of the role of the presidency than the GOPs.

‘In so many ways, Obama is the big cleanup of so many outmoded ideas.’ You are so right, CarolD. That’s one reason I think of him as our 21st Century president. It’s somewhat sad that many in media don’t see the importance of moving the country into the 21stC.

Ah, Eve, you are a speech lover too! :grin: Thanks for sharing. I love the president’s speeches because to me he is the one politician who currently speaks to me as if I have an ‘adult’ brain – that has been a great appeal for me from the beginning. ;) As I read yours, was hoping you would have shared one of the pictures captured that day.

Way to go, CarolMae! Trust you to find and share a ‘new’ piece of information. Thanks. Both Obamas are truly fascinating people.

43. December 31, 2013 at 7:24 pm

2014 is going to be a very good year for those who stand WITH President Obama ….

• 131 99ts
      December 31, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I disagree with Pierce on a couple of major issues – but he has truth on his side more often than not

When Politico attempt to equate some website glitches to a failed Presidency

“Point The First: the problem the president has had is not with the “federal bureaucracy.” The problem he has had is with a fanatic political opposition that has no interest in helping to govern the country, or even doing the rudimentary tasks of the jobs its members were elected to do. And while I have no doubt that things would be easier if the “organizational and motivational concepts” available to CEO’s would have been helpful, certain constitutional limitations prevented the president from firing Eric Cantor, or transferring John Boehner to the office of the Hamilton County Register of Probate, or outsourcing Ted Cruz’s Senate seat to Bangladesh…”

• 132 99ts
      December 31, 2013 at 7:38 pm

And a wonderful New Year and onwards in 2014 to you Bob – I very much look forward to your discussions leading into the midterms

December 31, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Thank you to Bob, Carol X 2, an Eve for the excellent memorable moments! These memories are our shared recollections of another great year with Barack Obama as President of the United States! Love the sound of that last part.

December 31, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Sorry – I meant “and Eve” … Tonight is “an Eve,” though ~ New Year’s Eve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeehaw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. December 31, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Impressive ….

46. 137 Nena20409
    December 31, 2013 at 7:47 pm

March 21 at an Israeli University Center was one of my 2013 PBO’s speeches.

47. 138 Nena20409
    December 31, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I don’t remember how The ringing of 2013 happened at TOD.

Any special party tonight? I will check in later to see if my eyes can cooperate and allow me to ring in 2014. Hope to be back later. If not ;) Happy New Year TODable TODers.

48. 139 GGail
    December 31, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Bob, Carol, Carol, & Eve – thank you!!!
    Trust Bob to ‘splain the President’s chess moves to thwart the miserable GOP.
    Carol, Carol & Eve, you surprised me with wonderful reminders and brought a smile to my face with your memories.

I love my TOD family!

Now, I’m heading out of Pasadena. The Rose Parade crowd is starting to line Colorado Blvd and traffic is getting worse than is usual.

I’ll be back here before the East Coast strikes Midnight :-)

December 31, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Stay out of trouble. Don’t drink and drive. Don’t talk to strangers under the mistletoe….especially if they had been drinking. Oh…and have a Happy New Year’s Eve! :razz:

49. 141 Nena20409
    December 31, 2013 at 8:11 pm

2013 Memory Lane with all these TODable TODs makes me sing Skid Row’s Remember Yesterday……. ;) Lovely. 2014. 2014. 2014.

Thanks TOD.

50. December 31, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Interiors greatest tweets for 2013. . .

51. December 31, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Where are the TOD NY’s Eve menus???? LL?? D-Dem?? ALL y’ALL?? Hello!! My vicarious life requires this information!!!

52. 145 mtmarilyn
    December 31, 2013 at 8:19 pm

What a family we have here. Bob, Carol, Carol & Eve, those are the most magnificent memories. I love all the different perspectives. Thank you all for sharing and helping us to remember them and to learn of ones we missed.

53. 146 susanne
    December 31, 2013 at 8:23 pm

aloha tod peeps
    i’ve been reading a good novel the past couple of days, and want to recommend it to you. ‘how to get filthy rich in rising asia’ by mohsin hamid. it’s an astounding book, superbly written, shockingly sad and also funny. it opened my eyes and heart in ways i didn’t realize i needed opening.