Dec

Pete Souza’s Year in Photos

Jan. 17, 2013: “The President sings ‘Happy Birthday’ to the First Lady after greeting inaugural brunch guests in the Blue Room of the White House. Of course, the First Lady’s new hairstyle attracted a lot of attention.”

Dec. 25, 2013: “When little kids are around, you never know what will happen. On Christmas Day, the President and First Lady were greeting almost 600 active duty troops and their families at Marine Corps Base Hawaii Kaneohe (known locally as K-Bay). This youngster gave the President a look, which he returned.”

Dec. 10, 2012: “South Africans cheer as President Obama waits in a tunnel at the soccer stadium before taking the stage to speak at Nelson Mandela’s memorial service. It was a long overnight flight to Johannesburg, a few hours on the ground in the pouring rain, and then a long flight back to Washington.”

Nov. 4, 2013: “The President is reflected in a glass table top during a meeting in the Oval Office.”

Dec. 13, 2013: “Everyone has a smart phone. The President delivers remarks with the First Lady during a Christmas reception in the Grand Foyer of the White House.”

Pete Souza has started posting his ‘Year in Photos’ on Flickr – see here – and, naturally, they’re stunning.

Chat on!

100 Responses to “Pete Souza’s Year in Photos”

1. 4 jackiegrumbacher
    December 31, 2013 at 9:43 am

Pete Souza is a genius. That’s all that can be said. There will never be anyone like him and I am grateful beyond words that his talent is available 24/7 for this great president and his family. Talk about a perfect confluence of genius–one political, one photographic. Two great masters.

2. 6 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 9:46 am

Genius, that second black and white picture.

3. 7 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 9:48 am
  4. 10 dotster3
    December 31, 2013 at 9:53 am

Hey—–I wonder if that xmas reception photo was the event that our Linda—whatisworking—-attended. I remember she said the First Lady wore a cream color beaded sweater.

• 11 whatisworking
      December 31, 2013 at 4:28 pm

It was it was. I am so jazzed. I remember the creme sweater. HOw cool is this??

I am going to add this to my slideshow.

My tiny little self is visible, but not easy to find.

Look at the very bottom of the picture, in the center is a man with a large head and very pink ears. to his left is a little head of brown hair, that is me. There is also a 2 arms of someone taking a picture in a black tweed jacket, that is Shirley. I am so grateful to chips for snagging this photo. Are there any others from this event?

I am in heaven, just the kind of picture I was hoping would be taken.

Yipee

December 31, 2013 at 9:59 am

Fantastic pictures from Pete Souza aka the genius with a camera.

6. 14 carolyn
    December 31, 2013 at 10:03 am

Good morning and Happy New Year to everyone on TOD. The picture of everyone with their smartphones up made me giggle. That is a picture of modern life! We know there will be official pictures, but we all want our own record of the events.

This happened even in church Sunday. The woman sitting in front of me held up her smartphone and snapped a couple of pictures of the front of the church during the service. I was probably the only one who noticed. The front did look especially nice with the red poinsettias lined up behind the choir. In fact, after the service, I took a couple of pictures too. I see it every Sunday, but seeing someone else notice and record brought it home to me how lovely it is. I know my smart phone would be up if I was anywhere near the Obamas!

When he came to OKC in Feb of 2007, we went, and we had our little easy shot camera and took a number of pictures of him. Interestingly, today’s phones would get a better picture than that camera!

Hope everyone has a great day today. Our New Year’s Eve will be quiet, as I have a bad cold, so I’ll spend the day sitting on the corner of my couch with my box of tissues at my side, reading TOD and various library books.

Have absolutely loved all the memories and lists of 2012. What a place!

7. 15 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 10:04 am
    December 31, 2013 at 10:05 am

Morning everyone…Happy New Year’s Eve Day….When one’s talent and passion meet to perfection….Pete Souza. He is a remarkable talent with such vision. Just when I think I’ve seen the best, he does it again and again. Remarkable. So glad that he is the one that is recording the history of the greatest President in my lifetime.

December 31, 2013 at 10:05 am

Every time one clicks on the link, one sees that Pete has updated the album. There are two very cute pictures of President Obama and a child making funny faces.

10. 18 africa
    December 31, 2013 at 10:07 am
    December 31, 2013 at 10:07 am

mac & cheese

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

jenny & sofa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

12. 21 criquet
    December 31, 2013 at 10:08 am

Morning all.

Just to add some more information out there on the MHP dust-up re the Romneys and Ms Chips can confirm or deny the Irish meaning:

December 31, 2013 at 10:19 am

Jefferson Obama said the same thing yesterday…His name is Gaelic word for “black”….No, they’re really still disgusting people.

13. 23 dotster3
    December 31, 2013 at 10:09 am

The first New Year’s Eve I remember was the year my sister and I forced ourselves to stay up till midnight—–we were going to do this thing!—–and at midnight played Auld Lang Syne on our snoot flutes from our twin beds—–anyone remember snoot flutes?—–said Happy New Year!—-not quite as exciting as we were expecting—–turned off our bed lamps and went to sleep.

14. 24 criquet
    December 31, 2013 at 10:10 am
  15. 25 99ts
    December 31, 2013 at 10:13 am

Love the pictures – puts me back into the New Year mode – eat your heart out WHPC

16. December 31, 2013 at 10:14 am

Happy New Year’s Eve all you O’s!! What a great getting up last day of the year in TODdyville!! I have a couple of questions that TODsters here may be answer.

So, as we all are, I’m getting bombarded by all kind of emails asking for donations for political campaigns and causes. I try to contribute to several of the same ones (OFA, DGA) and a few new ones (individual Dem campaigns) at the end of every quarter.

My problem is many of the emails for the individual campaigns is that they don’t identify the state they’re from, or the email will come from a known Dem soliciting for the unknown person, but still no state mentioned. I have to look them up online to see who they are and what they stand for.

Also, when I respond to some of the organizations and campaigns, I still end up on the ActBlue site. Is ActBlue like a clearing house, so to speak, for Dem campaign/pac contributions?

17. December 31, 2013 at 10:17 am

Good morning TOD. Great pictures as usual. Wishing everyone a safe and happy New Year.

18. 28 cookemom
    December 31, 2013 at 10:27 am

In addition to the reports of enrollments in ACA, the really good news is, today is the last day that:

- women will pay higher premiums, based on their gender.
    - insurance companies can cap the amount of money they spend on a person’s health care
    - self employed people who perform high risk jobs, (roofers, window washers, etc) can be denied coverage

The above and other provisions kick in on Jan. 1st. The impact goes well beyond how many people sign up for ACA. This affects EVERYONE, including those who already have insurance!

19. December 31, 2013 at 10:27 am

Hells bells, I gotta go. Let me part with this: First, thank you to everyone here for making the past year such an informative and rewarding one. I do hope this is the entree’ to a much more rewarding and happy new year for everyone.

Finally, a little worry…I’m glad to see the confidence and enthusiasm for the coming elections, but we mustn’t forget…people need to be able to vote. I’ve a sneaking suspicion, it will be a difficult task this time around, so we must be vigilant about making people understand the importance of turning out like never before.

Happy New Year! Forward!!

December 31, 2013 at 10:29 am

Great economic news :)

21. 37 Jovie
    December 31, 2013 at 10:33 am

Home prices rise 13.6% in October but S&P says it sucks ass?
    Only in the Twilight Zone.

December 31, 2013 at 10:40 am

So far, my two faves.

• 39 cookemom
      December 31, 2013 at 10:45 am

Were there ever any pics of previous President even touching his FLOTUS, never mind serenading her? I hadn’t seen that one before. It is now one of my favorite.

That pic is a for sure RWNJ head exploder.

December 31, 2013 at 10:54 am

Awwww…..I love these!! :) :)

• 41 dotster3
      December 31, 2013 at 10:56 am

The follow up to the PBO/baby photo was a gem too. The little kid looks so pleased about the reaction he was able to get from PBO.

23. 42 anniebella
    December 31, 2013 at 10:41 am

In that first picture of POTUS and FLOTUS it looks like POTUS is singing. I wonder if it’s Steve Wonder, Al Green, Marvin Gaye or Snoop Dog? I remember when FLOTUS was on the BET show 106 & parks she said that POTUS sings all the time.

24. 45 GGail
    December 31, 2013 at 10:46 am

Good West Coast New Year’s Eve Chipsticks & TOD family!

Chipsticks, This is a treat that I will enjoy while eating my breakfast here at work – THANK YOU!!!!!

December 31, 2013 at 10:47 am

From Political Wire: Because, as we all know, they are there to work hard for their constituents and the country as a whole. NOT.

GOP Retaliation Could Jam Senate in 2014
    “Senate Republicans still smarting from a Democratic rules change that diminished their power to block President Obama’s appointees are vowing retribution against the majority when lawmakers return to work in January,” the Washington Examiner reports.

“The GOP in the final weeks of the 2013 session provided a glimpse into what that might mean in 2014. Unable to block most presidential nominees because of the Democratic rule change, Republicans are using their remaining authority to slow the Senate to a crawl, delaying action on routine matters that typically pass uncontested.”

• 47 cookemom
      December 31, 2013 at 10:49 am

GOP is so 2013.

FORWARD!!!!

• 48 Layla
      December 31, 2013 at 10:59 am

oxymoron: GOP returns to work!!!!!

• 49 Lovepolitics2008
      December 31, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Democrats won’t have a choice but make the obstructionism of the GOP the main focus of their communication strategy in the beginning of 2014. There is a conventional wisdom that you have to avoid complaining so you don’t look weak. The problem is that the GOP is not paying a deep price politically.

There must be a way to turn the tables. Find the right language, use some graphs, images to illustrate the UNPRECEDENTED level of obstructionism. Senator Reid should come in front of the media with some charts and not talk too much. Pick something that creates a lasting impression. Senator Reid and his colleagues just have to find a way to make the obstructionism THE NARRATIVE of the media for at least a week. Find a way to not give ANYTHING ELSE to the media so they won’t have the choice to talk about the GOP obstructionism. At least they won’t have the choice for a few days. Don’t feed them anything else. No other news. Keep on message. Over and over and over again.

And install in the minds of the voters the idea that if they want Congress to function with President Obama for the rest of his presidency, they’ve got to put an end to divided government. Put DEMOCRATS in charge, like in 2008-2010, WHEN REAL PROGRESS WAS MADE.

26. 50 dotster3
    December 31, 2013 at 10:49 am

AP declares Putin has had a year of “exceptional accomplishments” but President Obama has had the worst year ever????? Pretty amazing.

December 31, 2013 at 10:49 am

Mornin’, Chips, UT, and TODville. Love the bangs!

Here’s an alternative way of wishing a Happy New Year (so true):

December 31, 2013 at 10:52 am

This is what runs for AZ gov…POS. I hope the people of AZ have more sense than this.

December 31, 2013 at 10:53 am

It’s beautiful pictures like these which have prompted the media to go on an attack on PBO’s marriage,his family and his presidency – implying that the pictures are staged and are nothing but political propaganda. Yet no one asked Jodi Kantor/David Gregory to apologize. No one asked the WHPC to apologize for lying about the WH’s access to photographers.

• 63 Layla
      December 31, 2013 at 10:57 am

Why don’t WE ask for apologies…..

December 31, 2013 at 11:00 am

We do – but unlike Mitt Romney, whose millions and corporate holdings (e.g., Bain Capital) can leverage the media, we are just ordinary folks …the corporate media is not there to do OUR bidding. And it will take a lot more from us than expressions of outrage on TOD or Twitter. We would have to take to the streets and wage a massive shutdown of all media for them to take us seriously.

• 65 Layla
        December 31, 2013 at 11:07 am

Twiiter can be a magnificent force!! For example what about a ‘click off’ campaign to begin with!

December 31, 2013 at 11:13 am

Yes I agree. Twitter is great for pushing back on false memes and disseminating correct info. It’s also good for initiating action – but the action has to be followed-through.

December 31, 2013 at 10:59 am

Wow. Pete Souza? You are magnificent.

December 31, 2013 at 11:08 am

I heart you, Pete Souza. This is what the naysayers hate. He truly is loved, admired, and respected.

• December 31, 2013 at 11:44 am

I especially love this photo because it reminds me of what PBO did right before we hugged it out. You know, laughing really hard and tossing his head to the side. {{SIGH}}

32. 73 Linda
    December 31, 2013 at 11:25 am

CNN is obsessed with the Colorado pot law……

I am waiting for them to put up a countdown clock……

33. 74 Layla
    December 31, 2013 at 11:29 am

They need to take a puff and chill!!!!!

December 31, 2013 at 11:31 am

Picture is dated Dec. 10, 2012??? Pete’s got his years mixed. Ah well, his photography is always right-on, and that’s what’s important! :grin:

December 31, 2013 at 11:35 am

Awwwwww….just grabs at your heart.

36. 77 anniebella
    December 31, 2013 at 11:44 am

I look at the pictures and they are nice, that picture of POTUS and Malia, it look like it was taken when the First Family were in Africa in June.

December 31, 2013 at 11:45 am

Oh, Pete Souza. You are a funny, funny, man! :D

38. 94 yardarm756
    December 31, 2013 at 11:49 am

Good day everyone. Late start here…….I wake up to this dust up re: MHP and I think, “What nonsense”. The widdle, biddie babies got their feelings hurt. Screw ‘em!

39. 97 Jovie
    December 31, 2013 at 12:09 pm

But but but CBO sez…

December 31, 2013 at 12:42 pm
  41. 100 Nena20409
    December 31, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Ciarán (Irish) or Ciaran (Scottish)[1][2] is a Gaelic male given name meaning “little dark one” or “blacky”,[3] produced by appending a diminutive suffix to ciar (“black”, “dark”).[4][5] The female form is Ciara.
    The name became common in reference to Ciar, son of Fergus mac Róich,[6] who gave his name to the Ciarraige and County Kerry,[7] and two 6th-century saints both counted among the Twelve Apostles of Ireland, Ciarán the Elder and Ciarán the Younger.
    It is anglicized in various ways: Ciaran, Kerry, Kyran, Kieran, Keiran, Keiren, Kieren, Ceiran, Ceeran, etc.

The Romney Clan is a disgrace.

“Little Dark One” or “BLACKY” is what they named the little boy adopted by one of Willard Mitterrand Romney’s sons? Those who Tweet should ask Joe Scarborough is that is what his passive aggressive Tweet was defending.