Jan

ObamaCare: A Better America

anigif_enhanced-buzz-11848-1386275942-27

Pregnant women could be denied coverage. That was a thing.

OFA: 12 Actual Pre-Existing Conditions From Before The Affordable Care Act

Before the Affordable Care Act, health insurance companies could refuse to cover you because you had one of these “pre-existing conditions.”

More here

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15600-1386276116-30

Your treatment for your sniffles around cats used to be grounds for an insurance company to turn down your business.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-32301-1386276092-6

Before the Affordable Care Act, treating your pimples could have rendered you uninsurable.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7259-1386276138-45

Insurance companies used to be able to reject people—including kids—with asthma.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-29152-1386277408-5

Because insurance companies considered firefighting to be a “high-risk occupation,” they could include it in their underwriting guidelines as an uninsurable profession.

Here’s The Good News

When you shop on the new marketplace, you won’t be asked if you have a pre-existing condition. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, you have basic protections from crazy insurance company abuses, and pre-existing conditions are no longer a thing.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-18289-1386276721-25

108 Responses to “ObamaCare: A Better America”

1. January 3, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Success is the best way to halt the nay sayers.

January 3, 2014 at 2:53 pm

My TOD Breaking Bad cool crew, can you tell me who that beanie wearing dude in the car saying “WHAT?” is?

3. 21 Don
    January 3, 2014 at 2:54 pm

If you find yourself going through hell……keep going.

4. January 3, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Faaaaaaantastic gifs UT, love love love this post!!!!

5. 24 forus50
    January 3, 2014 at 2:57 pm

OMG ut this is one of my favorite posts EVER on TOD!!! Jesse Pinkman!

January 3, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Information and humor. Works for me!

7. 27 Nena20409
    January 3, 2014 at 3:00 pm

I am immensely enjoying these clips.

Lovely UT.

Happy Friday, the 1st in Jan and of the New Year in 2014 ;)

Hello TODable TODbots.

January 3, 2014 at 3:02 pm
  9. 33 Nena20409
    January 3, 2014 at 3:04 pm

My goodness how bad does the lying bishop, Willard Mitterrand Romney has to be to get on Fox for attention? Seriously? The MHP one segment last Sunday is still being milked by these fakers? Seriously? How shameful.

• 34 99ts
      January 3, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Millions get health care for the 1st time – Someone jokes and tells the truth about the Romney family – which do you think is more important to Fox News?

10. 35 susanne
    January 3, 2014 at 3:06 pm

love the gifistrations :)

11. 37 JER
    January 3, 2014 at 3:15 pm

The Obama administration on Friday called on a Supreme Court justice to stop blocking the new health care law’s requirement that some religion-affiliated organizations provide health insurance that includes birth control.

The Justice Department called on Justice Sonia Sotomayor to dissolve her last-minute stay on the contraceptive coverage requirement of the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare. …

• 38 Judith Fardig
      January 3, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Is Justice Sotomayor on twitter or does she have an email address at which we could respectfully write and ask her to dissolve her stay?

• 39 dotster3
        January 3, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I still don’t get why Sotomayor jumped in on this. I was hoping there was some secret good reason which would become apparent—but no, not so far anyway. These religious organizations are already exempt from this obligation. All they have to do is sign a form that they have religious objections, according to reports. But they didn’t want to even do that because——-religion? And Sotomayor’s action provided the rt. wing nuts another opening, not that they need any encouragement, to say that the Obama admin. is a Big Meanie to the Little Sisters of the Poor. So I don’t get it.

• 40 99ts
          January 3, 2014 at 6:03 pm

I don’t understand why reports keep saying “and some of the employees are nuns” – fairly obvious no employer is going to have to pay for birth control for nuns – the stupid is mind boggling. Do the employers think the nuns may be taking birth control – just in case?

And – how many children do good catholic families now have – not the 15-20 of past years – the majority of these families use birth control – this whole nonsense is just another ploy of MEN to make life difficult for women.

12. 41 Linda
    January 3, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Ralph Nader received a request for donation from George W. Bush ……

You can imagine my surprise when I received a request from a certain notorious former President of the United States asking for my financial support in his public policy center’s efforts to address the “challenges facing our world.”

His response letter is amazing …..

Here is just the PS.

P.S. I am enclosing as a contribution in kind to your presidential center library the book Rogue Nation: American Unilateralism and the Failure of Good Intentions by Clyde Prestowitz (2003) whom I’m sure you know. Note the positive remark on the back cover by General Wesley Clark.

• 42 forus50
      January 3, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Great letter from Nader. Now if Nader would look in the mirror and acknowledge that he could have also prevented this period of disaster for our country. He knew he would not win in the general election in 2000 but failed to drop out directly causing Bush to win. He never polled higher than 10% of the total vote. So in Florida (as we all remember and will never forget) the botched recount had Gore short 537 votes. Nader got 97,421 in Florida.

So Ralph, there would have been no Iraq War or President Bush to write a letter to today if instead of following your inflated ego to the country’s ultimate doom.you had helped the best man win.

13. 43 Linda
    January 3, 2014 at 3:26 pm

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Idaho governor: State will take over operation of CCA-run prison after decade of problems.

—-

Good….for profit prisons are a travesty.

January 3, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Brilliant. http://immasmartypants.blogspot.com/2014/01/trying-to-have-21st-century.html

Lots of folks are wanting to excuse what Edward Snowden did because the results of his leaking of classified information has started what they think is a productive conversation about privacy. Please excuse me if I don’t agree. What we’re having is a conversation about privacy based on what we assumed it was during the last century – not today.

Let me provide you with a bit of background for that conclusion. First of all, from Al Giordano:
    The democratization of public or semi-public exhibitionism has thrown traditional concerns about “personal privacy” out the window. Who needs the CIA anymore when everybody is out there blurting the kinds of secrets it used to take surveillance to discover? Privacy didn’t disappear because Big Brother took it away. We gave it away! Freely! It fell aside to a greater impulse: the need to expose ourselves in public, to have an audience, and to keep it.

More here: http://immasmartypants.blogspot.ie/2014/01/trying-to-have-21st-century.html

15. January 3, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Happy New Year, TODville.

Our focus this year, like our President’s and the Roman Catholic Pope, is to wake America up to the income inequality that is getting worse each year.

BobFR is absolutely right that we are at the precipice of plutocracy.

Most of America was appalled that Ethan Couch received no jail time, only probation for killing four innocent people (a stranded motorist and 3 good samaritans) and severely crippled 2 people who were riding in the bed of his pickup truck. Ethan Couch, a 16-year-old with a blood alcohol level of 3 times the legal limit whose father is paying (a racketeer no doubt) $450,000 a year for his son to attend a SoCal “rehab” center.

Appalling yes.

But even more egregious is that the wealthy North Dallas citizens believe that this unequal justice (in their favor) is an entitlement for them. Look at what global good could be done if America would come to its senses about being hoodwinked by the snake oil known as “Trickle-down economics:”

Here is @IanBremmer’s tweet.

I also wonder whether the defense psychologist, G. Dick Miller has a stake (financial or otherwise) in the Newport Academy, the rehab center Ethan Couch is “sentenced” to. Note the use of the term “our program:”

Dick Miller, the psychologist who caused an international uproar after diagnosing Couch’s behavior as a medically unrecognized term known as “affluenza,” defended the judge’s decision that Couch didn’t deserve to be punished in jail. He told CNN’s Anderson Cooper that justice was served.

“I believe there’s about an 80% chance in our program, if we stay communicating with the kid, my experience in 30 years – and I’ve got many, many patients – that this kid has about an 80% chance to become a full-functioning citizen who pays taxes, who doesn’t take from the community,” said Miller.

16. 61 criquet
    January 3, 2014 at 4:00 pm
  17. 64 criquet
    January 3, 2014 at 4:02 pm

” “I have had no contact with the Chinese government,” Snowden wrote in a Q&A on the Guardian website while taking refuge in Hong Kong in June. “I only work with journalists.”

That’s far short of the truth. By the time he wrote those words in the online chat, Snowden, according to one of my sources in Hong Kong, had at least one “high-level contact” with Chinese officials there.”

• 65 idon
      January 3, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Snowden is a foreign agent and he got caught. If you read all available background information on Snowden, it is very clear he was operating on behalf of a foreign government.

• 66 Cindy
        January 3, 2014 at 4:42 pm

Idon,
        They know who Snowden is and what he is. They are trying to force the hands of the “Black President” to cow down to pressure. The real question we all need to send in to these morons; what would your conversation be like if Snowden was “black snowden” and the President was white? It’s time to shut these fools down because many of us already know what the headlines would read; hang the traitor, death for the traitor etc.. Some one should start twitter hash tag #What would happen to a “black snowden” with a white President?

18. January 3, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Interesting that I come home and find this thread about the ACA. LOVE it, btw. :) Here’s my experience from my stop at Kroger pharmacy to pick up my prescription. It is a monthly refill and I have never had to pay anything since I got on Medicare last year. This time it was $11……definitely no big deal! Anyway, I said, “Huh, I’ve never had to pay anything before for this.” A lady had just walked up behind me and heard me and she said, sort of jokingly (I think), “Oh, it’s because of Obamacare.” I instantly said, “No, it isn’t. You don’t want to go there with me.” She said something like “Oh, I’m sure it isn’t…….I was just kidding.” I didn’t say anything when she said that……just continued with my transaction. This is a perfect example of what the GOP has been able to do with people’s attitude……constant spreading of fear and negativity. One more thing regarding this: I will not say anything to my husband about this because he will be absolutely convinced that it is because of Obamacare. I realize it may have something to do with it……likely one of the changes in Medicare to help cover the costs, but as I said, $11 is no big deal!!!!!!

• 68 Linda
      January 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Did Kroger have an explanation for you ? Just asking because that happened to me at Kroger too. I don’t have prescription coverage and my meds were costing about $47.00 a month…..

One day I went in and they wanted $129.00 …..I put up a stink and they gave me the old pricing…..

• January 3, 2014 at 6:20 pm

A friend at church said that he went to get a prescription filled, has no prescription coverage, and was charged a really high price. Someone working there told him that if he made a fuss they would give him the prescription pricing. This was in the middle of a conversation about the ACA and I think there was a part when he tied the prescription costs to the new law. He’s a person who said his old insurance company dropped him because their plan did not meet the ACA guildelines because of no coverage for birth control and pregnancy. He said his choices seem to be higher premiums and higher deductibles so he’s going to by basically junk insurance with no prescription coverage so he doesn’t pay more out of pocket. He’s not a hard right fanatic, but is more on the conservative/libertarian side. I don’t know if he’s getting good information. And of course Michigan is one of the states that did not open their own health exchanges. He was also really peeved that he was being charged different rates because of his zip code.

• 70 jackiegrumbacher
      January 3, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Tn, if you have supplemental Medicare Part D, it may have to do with the insurance company you chose, not the ACA. My prescription costs fluctuate throughout the year for the same cream, depending on whatever whim my insurance co. is operating under that month.

• 72 57andfemale
      January 3, 2014 at 4:39 pm

Your Medicare Part D plan is probably what changed. You really have to check those changes carefully during the open enrollment period to make sure your particular meds are still being covered, what has changed with co-pays, etc.

• January 3, 2014 at 4:57 pm

This was my full year on Part D. I will definitely check w/my insurance company and be more pro-active this fall (open enrollment). I only take 3 prescription drugs and one of them is written for two pills a day and I only take 3 or 4 a week so that one lasts a long time. I even had Kroger to stop the automatic monthly refill for a few months. Take that one for arthritis but too much messes with my stomach big-time. The one I got today is also for arthritis and is also an antibiotic. The other one I take is Fosamax.

• 74 57andfemale
          January 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm

They all play games – you have to check every year. Co-pays change, tier designations, and what meds are covered. If it’s an issue of the particular med, your doctor may have an alternative. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the insurance company didn’t add a co-pay.

19. January 3, 2014 at 4:24 pm
  20. 76 Linda
    January 3, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Ha !

Bernie Sanders sent a letter to NSA Director Alexander demanding to know if the NSA is listening to Congress’s phone calls.

January 3, 2014 at 4:30 pm

Where did this come from about the NSA listening to Congress? Greenwald and Snowden.

January 3, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Tell Bernie Sanders that the American people are concerned about Unemployment insurance benefits, gun control, immigration reform, parity in health and education. No one cares whether or not NSA is listening in on congress’ phone calls. The last time I checked the NSA had a ~54% approval rating, congress had a 10% approval rating. Any questions?

21. 79 jackiegrumbacher
    January 3, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Sister in law is praising ObamaCare on FB to whoever will listen. Her daughter has grown out of being able to be carried on her parent’s health insurance. She has erratic work in the CA film industry as well as lots of cobbled together part time gigs. She also has a pre-existing condition, which has disqualified her from getting health insurance, no matter how much she was willing to pay (with mom and dad’s help). Well now she’s got full, affordable health care coverage and can stop living in fear of bankruptcy if she gets sick. My SIL is so giddy with excitement, she’s going to make sure everyone she meets knows how awesome ObamaCare is. Drop by drop, person by person, the message is getting out.

22. January 3, 2014 at 4:32 pm

These two tweets ….

…. speak to a simple truth. Until we can EDUCATE people to be critical thinkers they will remain easy victims to power crazed, avaricious exploiters.

Yes We Can

23. 82 forus50
    January 3, 2014 at 4:40 pm
  24. 85 JER
    January 3, 2014 at 5:09 pm

HONOLULU — The Obama administration on Friday announced a pair of executive actions aimed at strengthening federal background checks for gun purchasers, with a particular focus on limiting firearm access for those with mental health issues. One proposed rule change aims to clarify terminology used by federal law to prohibit people from purchasing a firearm for mental health reasons. …

25. 87 No Child Left Behind
    January 3, 2014 at 5:11 pm

UtaustinLiberal,

Thank you for the wonderful post. It adds sunshine over the pile of snow blocking my view.

26. 89 Linda
    January 3, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Breaking : Cantor memo says unemployment insurance not on January schedule.

27. 91 Vicki
    January 3, 2014 at 5:16 pm

As far as I can recall this is the best vacation the Obama family has been able to have. No “underwear bomber” or debt ceiling debate shortening their time in the sun. PBO was able to travel with his family, not join them when 1/2 the vacation time is over.

And now I am looking forward to their return and a rumored speech on Tuesday concerning the need to extend UI.

• 92 Linda
      January 3, 2014 at 5:19 pm

I would love for him to go to Cantor’s District and make that speech.

• 93 No Child Left Behind
      January 3, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Vicki,

You took the words away from me. I was just saying the same to a friend yesterday. No diaper terrorist, no Benghazzi, no debt ceiling or BP oil spill. I am so happy for the President and his family. Simply wish I could be there, even as a humble servant.

January 3, 2014 at 5:35 pm

He’s going to make the speech following the bipartisan UI extension Senate bill on Monday night. I think this is to put pressure on the House GOP. He will let Can’t-or and Bone-or both have it.

January 3, 2014 at 5:27 pm
  29. 98 JER
    January 3, 2014 at 5:38 pm
  30. 100 JER
    January 3, 2014 at 5:39 pm
      January 3, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Haven’t read article, but hope he has more to his resume than being an American idol runner-up. There are enough pols who talk about the constitution who understand it no more than I do.

• 102 No Child Left Behind
        January 3, 2014 at 6:10 pm

He plans to run as a Democrat, meaning he is not a Teabagger. That is the first and only criterion.

• 103 Obama Grandmama
        January 3, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Clay was an Obama supporter. He also has a charity for kids with disabilities. He taught special Ed classes.

January 4, 2014 at 6:40 am

Thanks NCLB & OG. It is good to hear that Mr. Aiken has an interest in more than himself; I therefore wish him success should he decide to go for it.

31. 107 dotster3
    January 3, 2014 at 6:03 pm

“Sorry boss, but I hit the jackpot. I don’t think I’ll be in today, tomorrow or ever.” (every lottery player’s dream)
    Mega million co-winner, a delivery truck driver, finally came forward, 16 days after drawing, forgot he bought 5 quick-picks in San Jose where the winning ticket was sold. Finally checked the tickets on his dresser—-presto