Jan

Maddow to Kochs: Drop dead

(h/t to Little Green Footballs)

***

My first troll was someone who responded to a less than flattering Tweet I sent out about the Koch Brothers. His essential point was “They have one voice, you have one voice, equal contest.”

It amazes me still that people who have the intellectual dexterity to get on Twitter can’t grasp the fact that, no, the Kochs don’t have “one voice”. Their voices are multiplied by their money, their power, their influence. The fact that they’re trying to increase that power by buying The Tribune Co. only accentuates that fact.

Those same people will howl to the moon about the “liberal media”. Some percentage of journalists may be “liberal”, however you care to define that word. But the idea that media conglomerates are “liberal” in the accepted modern usage of that term is laughable. Just this weekend we were treated to Melissa Harris Perry tearfully apologizing for daring to offend the Romneys, even though the offense was mere manufactured outrage. (Perhaps to distract from this.) Meanwhile, Phil Robertson served a suspension of 0 episodes for his racist, homophobic rant in the pages of GQ. Meanwhile, a Fox News contributor waxes philosophically about the possible necessity of “extra-judicially” dealing with President Obama. You shouldn’t wait to hear apologies from them; you’ll grow old in the doing.

I carry no water for Rachel Maddow. I haven’t watched MSNBC even semi-regularly since soon after the beginning of President Obama’s first term, when the network decided that sniping from the “left” was a good business strategy, now that the unifying hatred of G.W. Bush was gone. But, better an independent voice with whom I disagree on the air, than a bought-and-paid-for stooge of money-men of the Right who will try to convince you of the fact that water is dry and the sky is pink. Edward Snowden and Glenn Greenwald bray about “Big Brother” being here; if they had bothered to read 1984, they would realize that the media landscape in which we find ourselves now is more redolent of George Orwell’s warning than anything the NSA has done.

The old truism of “the press is free for those who own it” has become glaringly obvious in our latter days. Five corporations which don’t exactly have the interest of the broad commonwealth at heart now control 90% of all US media, both news and entertainment. The “synergies” of which they speak are merely obfuscations for controlling what gets piped into our homes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They’re fighting Custer’s Last Stand against the hordes who want to curb their privileges, whether in tax policy or in the outsized influence they wield. The world they want to create is the “corpocracy” envisioned by David Mitchell in his novel Cloud Atlas, where corporations have dispensed with ruling through elites and have merely taken over for themselves, as the Earth rapidly dies about them.

But, the same technologies which allow you to watch reruns of Two and a Half Men on the CBS website allow sites like this to flourish, serving as a counter-narrative. This is, no doubt, a guerrilla war we’re waging. But it’s one gaining traction, as the coming generation owns TV’s merely to watch streaming content from pirated sites. The conglomerates don’t care that their news arms hemorrhage money; as long as they drive the narrative, that’s all that the Big 5 care about.

However, human beings have this funny antipathy towards being lied to. The fact that news ratings and approval are down around those of chlamydia is one indication. The media has lost its gatekeeper role. It lost it the moment it broadcast its first car chase. It will just take a few more years for the death to be accepted.

And in the meantime, we all have to throw the Kochs’ script back in their faces. Our voices are no less worthy than theirs.

130 Responses to “Maddow to Kochs: Drop dead”

• 2 donna dem 4 obama
      January 4, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Ah!!! Good job LL :cool:

• 4 Cindy
      January 4, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Liberal Librarian,
      You are such an awesome writer and truth teller. Thank you for helping me to keep my sanity. I am so happy that Chipsticks have this site, and you and others have such great minds, and you tell it like it is. THANK YOU!

• January 4, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Thank you, Cindy, much appreciated.

• 6 Eveingeorgia
        January 4, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Cindy, I left a reply to you on the last thread. I spelled your name incorrectly, though: Cyndi.

I’m still in anger mode over this double-standard in the press.

• 7 Cindy
          January 4, 2014 at 7:11 pm

No problem Eveingeogia : ),
          I know how you feel, and that is where I am as well. It shouldn’t have to be this way but as long as I have the blood running warm through my veins, I am going to do all that I can to support President Obama and the Democrats. Order of business; vote like it’s 1999 in 2014. We must show up in masses. We can’t control mainstream media but we can all show up and mean business.

• 9 Cindy
          January 4, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I feel your madness; correction-Eveingeorgia, left out the r : (

• 10 Judith Fardig
      January 4, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Powerful post, LL! Kudos to Rachel Maddow for calling out the egregious dark influence of Koch money on our political landscape.

1. January 4, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Well done, as always, LL.

“This is, no doubt, a guerrilla war we’re waging. But it’s one gaining traction, as the coming generation owns TV’s merely to watch streaming content from pirated sites. ….. However, human beings have this funny antipathy towards being lied to. The fact that news ratings and approval are down around those of chlamydia is one indication. The media has lost its gatekeeper role.”

And, We must be vigilant to ensure they never get that ‘gatekeeper’ role, again.

So, let’s hammer Fox & Mitt …

…. to let them know we will not be distracted from substantive issues, like the criminal behavior Bain Capital has consistently participated – remember this:

And, make it clear to the FCC and DoJ we know that the PUBLIC SPECTRUM is being abused, as part of our fight to ensure equitable access for any American to the Internet …

Yes We Can

2. 16 Nena20409
    January 4, 2014 at 7:01 pm

What can I say LL…….you have gone and Done It AGAIN ;)

Plus a Gold medal too ;)

3. 17 GGAIL
    January 4, 2014 at 7:05 pm

LL, you make me howl & nod my head!!!

4. 18 Nena20409
    January 4, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Only the Left are expected to Be Good, Govern, Apologize, Save the Economy, Educate, be Demonize, be Hated, etc while those on the Right get to play a different Game without accountability or responsibility. They reap the benefit to be destructive without any accountability.

Liberal Media my arse.

January 4, 2014 at 7:14 pm

As I said, double standards are the root of inequality and injustice. So when people keep telling me “but because they do it doesn’t mean we have to do it” I remind them of this. It can’t be one side doing all the apologizing, all the hard work to pass legislation and policies that benefit the most vulnerable among us, while the other side gets to spread hate speech, obstruct legislation, suppress voters with little to no accountability while still getting hugely rewarded for it.

There is no merit in claiming “moral superiority” if you can’t get shit done at the end of the day and people go hungry, suffer poor health, children go without proper education, live in unsafe neighborhoods, while you’re busy preening and posing on your moral high ground offering apology after apology just to say you are the “good” one. At this point, you’re not being good, you’re being damn self-serving.

Thus I continue to stand by belief that MHP’s apology was utter rubbish. If she wants to keep her job so that she can retain her lifestyle – that’s all good. And it’s her business what she chooses to do with the terms of her employment. But at the end of the day it has nothing to do with her morality.

• 20 Nena20409
        January 4, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Agreed pretty much………but in one area. I name 3 people in the 20th Century. They took as good as their opponents dished out. Gandhi, MLK and Mandela.

There was Jesus Christ of Nazareth……a Man and a son of God. No one is expected to match Him.

Then there was Jackie Robinson in Sports. Mohammed Ali with his own version.

Then there is PBO.

Right or Wrong, Only MHP knows her own heart. I will not judge her sincerity. I understand her. Half a bread in the Visual News Media world is better than nothing, perhaps that is where she is. I can’t judge. I just won’t be a party to calling her out one way or another.

In the Media world, those who control the Purse, control the Content. Comcast bought out NBC/MSNBC.

January 4, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Sorry, but I would not compare MHP with PBO/Ghandi/MLK/Jackie Robinson. Very different situations and end results.

• 22 Nena20409
            January 4, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I could not agree with you more. It was not a comparison.

It was not my intention.

The way she selected to respond; good, bad or indifference is what I am poorly trying to illustrate. Not comparisons.

• January 4, 2014 at 8:19 pm

In my opinion, the positive accomplishments of Professor H-P outweigh whatever the circumstances are behind the apparent apology. You may agree, disagree, or agree-to-disagree with her, and/or Rachel Maddow, Rev. Sharpton, Chris Hayes, Ed Schultz, Chris Mathews, and/or any of the MSNBC contributors about anything (and sometimes, it’s helpful to actually LISTEN to what they have to say, because sometimes it IS constructive criticism and not the ultimate damnation of the Obama administration and/or the ultimate betrayal of progressive values overall).

They at least keep the focus on the issues and topics and debates that are “anti-FOX.” If they can get me to tune in on most nights to stay updated on relevant issues — and more importantly, to actually THINK about where I stand on those issues — and hear where they’re coming from regarding various media aspects, then they’ve done their job (emoprogs and all….). :)

Just my two cents and perspective…. :)

• 24 Nena20409
                January 4, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Having different takes on THINGS make the world a better place.

Looking at my one hand, All Fingers are simply not equal. Individually made, but together, they are quite useful.

So are the thoughts expressed here. No one knows all. We learn from one another. That is the awesomeness here are TOD ;)

I would not want to agree with all nor would I want all to agree with me. At TOD, I come to learn, have fun and frankly engage those who want to be engaged and who want to find different ways to spread The GOOD that Pres Obama and team are working feverishly to accomplish.

FORWARD!

• 26 yardarm756
          January 4, 2014 at 11:17 pm

You all need to leave MHP alone. She is not the enemy. Not by a long shot. None of us has walked in her shoes and have no idea what a “hi-yella gal” had to live through. Either way , it wasn’t pretty. So please folks let’s give it a rest. What difference does it make in the grand scheme of things, eh?

January 5, 2014 at 11:53 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Yardarm, especially that “in the grand scheme” part. And what you wrote was a real lesson in empathy.

Also, I noticed Melissa “got her groove back” on today’s show – I’m off to tell her to keep that up!

• 28 yardarm756
              January 5, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Tks jc. I’m late to the rodeo today. Having a spot o trbl with WordPress.

January 5, 2014 at 5:58 pm

I’m just getting back to TODville. Hope your WP is working fine now. Ha – I was having a spot o trbl keeping awake earlier!

January 4, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for another excellent post, LL!

6. January 4, 2014 at 7:22 pm

As usual, I’m behind on my TOD lurking, but would like to say something about how out of touch the MSM DC-NYC beltway is.

1) NYT endorsing clemency for a foreign spy, a felonious traitor. They were unable to ask themselves a couple of really easy questions:
    – Gosh, if Snowden is granted clemency, what kind of precedent does this set?
    – Gosh, maybe Snowden isn’t the stand up guy we think he is, since he FLED to China and Russia.

2) Ezra Klein bubble
    – My guess is that 95% of Americans have no idea who the heck Ezra Klein is. He is important only to the MSM echo chamber.
    – The MSM, including Ezra are Greenwald cultists and they’re all now looking for their own sugar daddy. Ezra has no clue that what does is NOT special, and he was wrong on lots of things last year (Larry Summers for Fed Chair, OMG no hold music on Obamacare phone line, etc.)
    – Responses to tweets about his leaving WaPo bear this out. One responder said something to the effect… “What will Paul Krugman do now…” as if Ezra’s credentials were anywhere close to Krugman, a Nobel Laureate and Princeton professor. Ezra & Greenwald cultists really have their (snow white) blinders on.

Reality check 101 for the MSM and Klein/Greenwald emoPutin cultists:

7. 33 mtmarilyn
    January 4, 2014 at 7:24 pm

WOW LL, you are such a gifted writer. You can say what we feel. This whole thing is really making me upset. We have to look #forward and #GOTV this year. We are the change we are waiting for.

January 4, 2014 at 7:25 pm

If anybody’s feeling like just a small part of the universe tonight, here ya go.

9. January 4, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Weather is one of favorite topics, and it’s hard for me to imagine how cold it will be early next week in the Midwest.

If it’s any consolation (in the sense that misery loves company), 2013 was the driest year on record in California. I have lived in SoCal for over 50 years, and we did have water restrictions in the late 1980s, but scarily, it looks like the climate change predictions of western US drought are happening now.

10. January 4, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Offsetting good news on the renewable energy front:

11. 49 dotster3
    January 4, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Thanks LL for shining some more light on this. Just wanted to clarify—-the Koch boys did not buy the Tribune. They dropped their bid, or were forced to, their interest and proposal was met by repulsion by many interested parties.

• 50 carolyn
      January 4, 2014 at 7:54 pm

They also did not get the L.A. Times…..those were two important defeats for them.

• 51 57andfemale
        January 4, 2014 at 10:17 pm

I think L A Times is part of the Tribune group, so they were part of the same bid. I may be wrong on that. I stand corrected, if anyone knows for sure.

12. 52 Nena20409
    January 4, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Let it Go
    From Frozen
    By a 4yrs old. Take a listen, if you get a chance.

13. 53 a4alice
    January 4, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I’ll be back to read this LL I gotta go do some telecommuting. BBL

January 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm

This one’s for you, LL:

15. 58 Nena20409
    January 4, 2014 at 8:01 pm

Minnesota’s health insurance exchange saw a sizable last-minute spike in enrollment ahead of a deadline for coverage.

MNsure released its latest enrollment figures Friday. By the Dec. 31 deadline for coverage starting Jan. 1, the agency reported 67,805 Minnesotans had enrolled for insurance under the new federal health care law.

That means more than 14,600 people signed up for coverage in the last four days of December. It reflects a last-minute rush to lock down coverage, after many experienced technical glitches with the MNsure website and long waits on the toll-free helpline.

/////

The same is TRUE with MD. They increased their numbers by 55%.

January 4, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Maybe this is what “some people” do wrong!

• January 4, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Jacqueline, i love you! this has been on my fridge for months : )

I am really appreciating everyone’s interjections of humor, clarity, perspective and also venting today. I can’t find my tongue at all. This sadness just feels different. I’m just left hoping it lifts some when I get my President back.

January 4, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Love you back! Try not to be sad, Kathleen. Although I know what you mean – and how many times one or more of us have felt “This sadness just feels different.” That’s when we must try to band together and remember:

“There is an endless supply of paint.”

So glad the President had two weeks in Hawaii, but I, too, will be thrilled to see him back in our world! I think it’s safe to say none of us – no matter how old we each are – have ever felt that way about any other President!

• January 4, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Thisssssssssss….

I miss him….what will we do when he leaves the WH…

• January 4, 2014 at 9:30 pm

“There is an endless supply of paint.” over and over. I really can’t hear that enough. Thank you. Just walked my great dog and used the cold to kick the sad to the curb. I can’t afford it.

January 4, 2014 at 9:41 pm

*used the cold to kick the sad to the curb*

I’d do that, but I’m staying indoors for a few days!

But, you are right, we can’t afford to do anything but move forward.

17. 66 Nena20409
    January 4, 2014 at 8:12 pm

NY set to loosen Marijuana Laws? Hmm?

ALBANY — Joining a growing group of states that have loosened restrictions on marijuana, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York plans this week to announce an executive action that would allow limited use of the drug by those with serious illnesses, state officials say.

The turnabout by Mr. Cuomo, who had long resisted legalizing medical marijuana, comes as other states are taking increasingly liberal positions on it — most notably Colorado, where thousands have flocked to buy the drug for recreational use since it became legal on Jan. 1.

• 67 LDS
      January 4, 2014 at 8:37 pm

NYPD under Guliani, Bloomberg with Stop&Frisk Law kept the courts and jails flourishing in NYC.
      While the privileged smoked and drank their private stash in public. Namely, football games, baseball games, L.I.R.R.
      The playing field has never been fair in the media, courts, schools, banking institutions, housing market.
      The list goes on….

• 68 Nena20409
        January 4, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Finally a Dem Gov, Mayor of NY a Dem and a Loosely State House under Dems…….perhaps, NY is seeing the lighter side of things, FINALLY?

• 69 LDS
          January 4, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Yes, finally. If Bill Clinton get the hell out.
          Oh, I don’t know back to Arkansans. He can take Hillary with him, if he must.
          That is fine with me.

18. 70 dotster3
    January 4, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Thinking of LP, big Indy Colts fan, who must be really happy right now, as the Colts pulled off a big come from behind victory in their playoff game against KC Chiefs. And I bet “my” new baby (grandbabe) is goo gooing her delight also—-she was at a game party there, brought her parents along also, her daddy a big Colts fan, her mom still a secret (but sad) Bears fan.

19. 71 JER
    January 4, 2014 at 8:17 pm

• 72 Nena20409
      January 4, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Fluffy MKnoller has been conspicuously missing in 2014 from all his Golf Counting schemes….oops….pretentious reporting? Or was it that HI was too HOT for him……due to his size?

160 a chap on TV commented and I shouted back……160 many more times. May calgon take you media fools away.

20. 73 LDS
    January 4, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Hello TOD, I have been catching up ALL weekend. Every day feels like Sat. since the holidays began.
    HF, you have expressed my sentiments exactly concerning MHP. I agree with you totally. I do not feel sorry for her at all. I am sorry that she got caught up with the right-wing media and got blindsided.
    One apology was enough. Mitt Romney deserves only one.
    The media always waits in the wing to push the side who pays them and jump on any story to engage PBO.
    Eveingeorgia, your anger is justified. They never quit and neither must we.

I thank everyone here for your own opinions. We are ALL entitled to one.

21. January 4, 2014 at 8:38 pm

“The conglomerates don’t care that their news arms hemorrhage money; as long as they drive the narrative, that’s all that the Big 5 care about”.

***************************

Boom!

January 4, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Idris Elba just broke Twitter with his tweet.

Women are going nuts. Timelines are melting.

The man is sex personified.

The ladies thank you, Mr. Elba!

23. 88 anniebella
    January 4, 2014 at 8:39 pm

What time will POTUS, FLOTUS and family take off tonight? Do anyone know?

24. 90 Nena20409
    January 4, 2014 at 8:40 pm

US Icebreakers is now going to rescue two stranded ships in Antarctica. That makes me proud.

25. 91 carolyn
    January 4, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I love it that Rachel is not intimidated. She means it when she asks them to come on her show….they won’t. They are intimidated by her, hiding behind their lawyers.

I still miss Keith Olbermann. I think the reason he was let go had nothing to do with his measly political contribution, but everything to do with his reaction to Gabby Giffords’ shooting, and his calling out exactly what happened and why. This was a portent of things to come, as we are seeing. I would love to hear one of his Special Comments like he used to do on GWB…..perhaps on John Boehner, on Mitch McConnell…..would LOVE one on Eric Cantor……we know he wrote his own program, and he, like Rachel would never read a Koch-prepared script.
    I know some called him over the top….but why not? He got ratings and attention and set the framework for conversation. He was right about Gabby Giffords and that horrible event.

• 92 Nena20409
      January 4, 2014 at 8:50 pm

She singlehandedly brought down VA Gov Bob McConnell. She brought the issue of Voter suppression to the national stage. She has been on ND and pipe explosions. She started with calling out MI and the undemocratic suppression of duly elected county and town officials from actually governing by the MI state houses and the gov. She has talked about women’s right and LGBTQ rights. When she is On, she is on.

She has disappointed me with NSA, BP and her childish mockery of pres Obama’s address from the Oval office. Yes. I still miss Kieth Olbermann.

• 93 Cindy
        January 4, 2014 at 9:07 pm

I wish they would bring Mr. Keith Olbermann back. I used to rush home on Fridays just to hear him before the weekend. I would love to see his take down segment on what the repukes are doing with Obamacare. Cantor has announced that Obamacare is on the agenda for January (demands), but Unemployment benefits are not. I can’t imagine being one of the 1.3 million individuals who have no means of support because they have lost their support line. This is so hurtful to see these individuals, one lady said; I don’t know what to do, I have nothing and I can’t pay my bills-I have nothing. I cried because I know what that feels like. Those who don’t care have no idea how this pain feels.

26. 94 anniebella
    January 4, 2014 at 9:16 pm

For those who are not so good with the computer and they want to talk to someone who could help them concerning Obamacare, what is the number I can give them to call. Do anyone know the number? Maybe I’ll look on Healthcare.gov.

• 95 Nena20409
      January 4, 2014 at 9:21 pm

1-800-706-7893.

TTY: 1-800-706-7915.

January 4, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Thanks, I was told about a lady who was taken to the hospital last night, and the lady has no health insurance, she stop taking her blood pressure medicine cause she couldn’t afford it, her blood pressure were sky high, she has diabetes, I’m hoping everything will be okay. I want to talk to her family about looking into the ACA,

27. January 4, 2014 at 9:36 pm

On the MHP shit, get ready, because I am delurking to tell the truth and shame the devil. I’m about to put the paws on some folks feelings without filter and some folks may feel some way about it, so I am ready for the hateration. I’m going to piss some people off with my comments and I know it will set some people off, so get ready.

That Steppin Fetchit apology vid from Melissa Harris Perry was just sad. I’m going to keep it real. It was sad. No, it wasn’t a damn sincerity dripping video, it was just someone buckdancing to Mr. Charlie once again. If you are getting the vibe that I am not feeling that video or that Melissa Harris Perry has no sympathy from me, you are right. Karma just checkmated her behind, because I remember she was big and bad berating Barack Obama. I remember this………

She went after President Obama like he was her ex-husband, emasculating him and hitting him below the belt, measuring up his very thought provoking comments as an attack on her personally. It just goes to show that Michelle Obama is a graceful and benevolent woman, because Mrs. Obama could have did what Jill Scott did in this video and nearly catch ass whuppin fever on Melissa for that.

(By the way, Ms. Jilly from Philly also said the very same thing the President said and IS a single mom as well. Her points as per this article…

And when Black Twitter chin checked her for that, she then went bad after us like we slapped her mother. Yeah, when its black folks, you can pull your wig off, kick off your shoes, take your earrings off, do the Ms. Thang neck roll and shake your finger at us and hogcall, but when its white folks, you clam up,shamelessly grovel and tapdance for Mr. Charlie sanging Mammy. How she pointed out she was biracial and came from Mormons as if that would make Mitt Romney and crew show mercy from the thrashing she would probably get from him tomorrow. And his comments with that little Parakeet wife of his will be shameless. It will be like the fake interview with Katie Couric on Real Husbands of Hollywood.

I’m going to say something about the Romney’s adopting that black child. I believe it was done as a cynical political ploy. This family doesn’t do SHIT for ACTUAL charitable good reasons or good faith. These people are ALL about bullshitting niceness and sincerity for TV media appearances. These delusional folks thought they were gonna win in 2012 and thought that since black folks in America would obviously be in a ginormous funk about the first African American President being defeated by a man whose religion considered us demons until 1978, that the way to salve that wound would not be to formulate policies that would benefit people of color, but to have a black grandchild to parade around news cameras to assure white folks that his policies would not really be bad for black folks, because hey BLACK GRANDSON, LOOK HERE! (Because really, thats who that really would be for. Most people of color would see right through that. Except of course, the ones who pine for white peoples seal of approval which now seems to include the aforementioned MHP) I feel bad for the kid, because one day, Kiernan is going to run up on some brothers who will let him know who he is, and that day will be when the Negro wake up call descends on him. Oh, it will happen. With the Romney’s raising him, it is damn impossible NOT to happen.

This whole spectacle of vituperative farce is amazing. Since that election loss in 2012, the media has been popping the Romney’s out like a fuckin Jack In The Box. Just trying and pining to make us realize we made a mistake in 2012 and that these folks should be in there. And really, look at the evidence. The news media saying Barack Obama is unpopular, Barack Obama’s Presidency is over, Barack Obama would lose in a do over election, No one likes Barack Obama, Barack Obama had a bad year, Barack Obama lost the debate and somehow that was bad even though he WON!!!!, Ann Romney is giving Michelle Obama a run for her money in the red dress she wore at her convention, ALL THE BULLSHIT!!!!! And instead of Melissa Harris Perry standing firm and true for the Angela Davis, raise a solid fist principles she supposedly embodies, she caved to pressure from Mr. Charlie and unnecessarily apologized for shit she was absolutely correct on. She doesn’t care about progressive and liberal principles, she cares about her paycheck and livelihood which I guarantee she wouldn’t have if she went back to Tulane.

This is why I am not one of the ones calling for more black voices on news and television. I’m sorry, I’m not for putting more black folks in the anchors chair if all they are is a mouthpiece for white corporate words, Liberal or Conservative. I don’t want it. Don Lemon is a perfect example of this. I would have thought a Black, Gay mid forty year old man would have more self respect than what he is shown. But he is as attention whorish as Miley Cyrus and Snooki. I read his ass when he tried to “George Michael” Jonah Hill in the men’s room.

I don’t want him representing me on television and I highly doubt the LGBT community is embracing him with open arms either. If this is what it means to have black voices on television, then damnit silence me.

I’m not here for this, “We need voices like her’s on television.” I don’t want to hear that rancid shit. Television didn’t win Barack Obama the 2008 or 2012 elections, WE DID!!!! It was us. Stop putting stock in these personalities that are not there for us, but for themselves. Melissa Harris Perry is getting her Negro Wake Up Call and we all need to just let it happen for her sake and ours.

End Rant.

• January 4, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Amen

Amen

Amen

This is how I feel about this:

• 100 99ts
        January 4, 2014 at 11:27 pm

I’m hours late reading this – but ther is no offense in this rant. My favorite part

” I feel bad for the kid, because one day, Kiernan is going to run up on some brothers who will let him know who he is, and that day will be when the Negro wake up call descends on him. Oh, it will happen. With the Romney’s raising him, it is damn impossible NOT to happen.”

The child will be seen as “different” through all his growing years – sooner or later he will want to know why he was taken from his roots by those who have never treated his kind as anything other than inferior.

January 4, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Anotherslyfox, nothing you said here has offended me. NOTHING. This is the whole truth, plain and simple. Sometimes the truth is uncomfortable….that’s just the way it is. Your comments are very well-said and thought-provoking. I have nothing else to add at this time.

• January 4, 2014 at 9:59 pm

“Television didn’t win Barack Obama the 2008 or 2012 elections, WE DID!!!! It was us. Stop putting stock in these personalities that are not there for us, but for themselves. Melissa Harris Perry is getting her Negro Wake Up Call and we all need to just let it happen for her sake and ours.”

Albeit I’m a 66 year old WHITE guy, but I’ll give you an ‘Amen’ along the lines of rikyrah’s.

Now, Let Us ALL FOCUS on #LandslideDEMS2014 because NOTHING ELSE MATTERS MORE.

Yes WE MUST

• 105 amk for obama
      January 4, 2014 at 10:04 pm

egg.sack.lee

Hence my contempt for all kindsa bloviators who wax bs on the topic of the day by becoming instant experts.

And the common claim that they make you ‘think’ is a stupid joke exposing your laziness to real learning. Want to think? Go read a good book.

• January 4, 2014 at 10:12 pm

This is my 3rd and final attempt to get Professor Perry to START THINKING ….

…. about the child, for real, and not herself.

Since it’s undoubtedly going to be another ‘strike,’ I’m off the topic.

#LandslideDEMS2014

Yes WE MUST

• January 4, 2014 at 11:43 pm

You delurked to heap upon a blk woman…well that is special…why…can’t we disagree with her without dragging her on the ground….what is the real issue going on here….

• January 5, 2014 at 7:30 am

After she dragged the President on the ground and then us for trying to disagree with her, I think its fair. Please don’t try that feminist deflection that I’m only attacking her because she’s a woman. I’m not. I’m attacking because she has been among the chorus of people who have gone full bore into lambasting the president for not being tougher and yet not practice what she preaches along with apologizing for comments she didn’t make which probably don’t even really hurt the Romneys but not for comments which probably hurt the Obamas and all of their supporters. Nope, not feelin the solidarity.

• January 5, 2014 at 10:40 am

This is not about Feminism…

I do not see MHP as the enemy…and I disagree with demonizing her…I disagree with some of her programming but she has been right on with many of her programs….I think there is a way of disagreeing with her without the massive pile on…

• January 5, 2014 at 11:14 am

If she personally attacks the President over petty shit, shes for damn sure not a friend.

• January 5, 2014 at 9:09 pm

The problem is, some of you interpret constructive — and sometimes genuine and spot on — criticism of the President and/or WH staff as “OMG YOU’RE ATTACKING MY BARACK!! HOW DARE YOU! YOU ARE HEARBY AN ENEMY FOR LIFE AND NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO/SAY, I WILL HATE YOU FOREVER!!” You know, the typical bullshit that Tea Partiers do on a daily basis to everyone that disagrees with them on anything…..

Here’s a little secret: It’s possible to disagree with the President and/or his staff and still have enormous respect, admiration, and loyalty to him and/or them. That’s called historical common sense. :)

January 4, 2014 at 9:47 pm

29. 116 Walking_on_ Sunshine
    January 4, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Governor Dayton made an announcement that the former mayor of Minneapolis R.T. Rybak has suffered a heart attack. He is a big PBO supporter. Please pray for his recovery.

Copied from Facebook:
    “On behalf of all Minnesotans, I extend my very best wishes to former Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak and his family. We all pray for his swift and complete recovery.

“Our thanks go to the emergency responders and medical personnel, whose talents and training made the critical difference in the life of this outstanding leader, who has given so much to the people of Minneapolis and all of Minnesota.”

30. January 4, 2014 at 10:19 pm

;)

31. January 4, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Oh my.

32. 126 globalcitizenlinda
    January 4, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Here is something to ponder:

For those of us who have gone through the immigration system in this country, you know that there is usually a level of relationship between your employment status and your immigration status.

In some cases, you loose one you jeopardize the chances (or completely) the other;

Apart from the direct sabotage the Joe Scarbrough (???) did to Mr. Martin Bashir on pushing for him to loose his show and hence job with MSNBC, it is also highly likely that he also may have affected his immigration status (or transition – last I heard he was still a British citizen).

I do not know if this holds in this case but I wonder the extent of damage that may have been done and may explain WHY Mr. Bashir is not very public at this time

33. 127 forus50
    January 4, 2014 at 10:36 pm

More good news. But they need to start releasing people from prison for marijuana convictions.

January 4, 2014 at 10:52 pm

1. I follow Stephen King? Me? He must have said something positive about President Obama once or something.
    2. He has an emotional sweet spot?