Jan

Rise and Shine

AP: Obama to Leave Hawaii for Washington on Saturday

President Barack Obama is planning his return to Washington after two weeks in Hawaii for a holiday vacation.

White House officials say that the president and his family expect to depart Hawaii on Saturday night.

The president’s vacation, spanning Christmas and New Year’s, is his longest to the islands during his presidency.

ThinkProgress: The Latest Obamacare Controversy Doesn’t Actually Mean Health Reform Is Falling Apart

According to new research published on Thursday, extending Medicaid coverage to additional low-income Americans encourages them to go to the ER more frequently. As part of a larger study that’s examining the impact of Oregon’s 2008 Medicaid expansion, researchers compared the people in that state who gained public health coverage with the people who remained uninsured — and found that the first group made 40 percent more trips to emergency departments.

The findings have sparked concerns about the implications for the health reform law, which includes a large expansion of Medicaid for Americans above 138 percent of the federal poverty line. Expanding Medicaid is frequently touted as a cost-saving policy, in the hopes that providing more people with access to insurance will cut down on unnecessary, uncompensated ER visits. Now, critics are claiming that the study “exposes another Obamacare falsehood.”

They’re wrong. Rather than arguing against Medicaid expansion, the results actually underscore the importance of continuing to invest in providing efficient health services to people in Medicaid and the larger newly insured population. Here’s why:

More here

Greg Sargent: Unemployment insurance extension hangs in the balance

Next week, as early as Monday, Senate Democrats will move to vote on a three month extension for unemployment benefits for the 1.3 million people who lost them just after Christmas.

But the chances of passage for the measure are “hanging in the balance,” the Democratic Senator who is taking the lead on rounding up Senate votes for the legislation tells me.

“It’s not determined yet, but we’re going to do everything we can,” Senator Jack Reed of Rhode Island said in an interview. “Hanging in the balance is probably the right way to say it.”

More here

Steve Benen: White House strengthens background checks

In the wake of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary, the White House unveiled a fairly detailed, ambitious agenda intended to reduce gun violence. Much of it required congressional action – which made progress difficult – but by November, the administration was nevertheless eager to tout headway through executive actions.

Today, as NBC News’ Carrie Dann reported, officials went a little further, proposing new measures intended to “prevent individuals who are prohibited from having a gun for mental health reasons from obtaining a firearm.”

More here

ThinkProgress: Here’s What’s Really At Stake In That Birth Control Case Involving The Colorado Nuns

Late on New Year’s Eve, Justice Sonia Sotomayor handed down a very brief order holding that several religious groups could temporarily ignore the provisions of the Affordable Care Act relating to birth control. The order, which offers no rationale and appears to be nothing more than a routine action delaying a resolution of the case until the Justice Department had an opportunity to present its side of the case to the Court today, immediately became one of the most overblown stories of 2014. The order offers no hint about how Justice Sotomayor views the merits of this case, and it applies only to the few religious organizations before the court in this case. The overwhelming majority of American employers remain subject to the requirement that their employee health plans cover contraception.

Yet, while the significance of Sotomayor’s New Year’s Eve order should not be overstated, there’s an important legal issue lurking in this case that could give religious employers sweeping and unprecedented immunity from the law.

More here

Line of the week? From Charles Pierce, of course:

“It’s rare that we get a look inside the thieves paradise being constructed by Scott Walker, the goggle-eyed homunculus hired by Koch Industries to manage their midwest subsidiary formerly known as the state of Wisconsin.”

Genius.

MoooOOOooorning!

131 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

• 2 africa
      January 4, 2014 at 9:13 am

Tie!!!

Hey Chips. Hope Danny is doing well. I read about your ordeal the other day. So sorry the both of you had to experience that ugliness.

Happy Saturday.

Now, I am off to get read R&S.

• January 4, 2014 at 9:18 am

Ah, thanks a million Africa, all’s good again, Danny’s back to chewing socks and my ankles, so he’s unaffected!

• 4 africa
          January 4, 2014 at 9:30 am

Yay!! :) :)

• 7 Cindy
          January 4, 2014 at 10:19 am

Good morning Chipsticks and everyone at TOD,
          Chipsticks, it’s good to hear that all is well with you and Danny boy. Please don’t forget; next walk, phone and spray. Prayerfully, there will be no more encounters as you experienced. Have a wonderful and awesome day and it sounds like Danny is having a great one already, socks and ankles, doesn’t make me hungry : )

1. 8 africa
    January 4, 2014 at 9:08 am

Morning.

2. 10 TrumpDog
    January 4, 2014 at 9:18 am

I rose but I’m not yet shiny.
    Could use a nice vanilla cappacino.
    Ah hem.

3. January 4, 2014 at 9:26 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone, and congrats Chips on #1 :)

Happy Saturday, and wishing our First Family a safe and welcome return home!

4. 14 jackiegrumbacher
    January 4, 2014 at 9:28 am

Morning to all. Rose to 0 degrees this a.m. and now it’s a balmy 7. Funny how all the aches and pains that seem to fade in the sun, come roaring back in frigid weather. I wonder how our First Family is going to feel getting on that plane tonight in beautiful warm Hawaii and landing in the Arctic east coast. I think I would be tempted to reboard the plane and ask the AF1 pilot to take me back. Worst thing about coming back for PBO is that our execrable US House comes back in session, as well. Just the thought of Boehner messing things up for another year makes me grumpy. We still do not have a candidate to run against our idiot R congressman and it really drives me nuts. I’ve tried calling, writing sending out pleas –to no avail. I hate when stupid, incompetent people run unopposed for key offices. Well, that’s a lot of grumpiness for one morning. Hope everyone has a happy and sunny day.

• 15 africa
      January 4, 2014 at 9:31 am

Hi Jackie. Burrrrrr. Stay warm. :) :)

• January 4, 2014 at 9:36 am

“I think I would be tempted to reboard the plane and ask the AF1 pilot to take me back.”

A good idea Jackie!

• 17 jackiegrumbacher
        January 4, 2014 at 9:42 am

Chips, sent you an e-mail about sending something on to CarolMaeWY. Sorry to add more work. It’s absolutely NO rush.

• January 4, 2014 at 9:43 am

No worries Jackie, will check it now!

• January 4, 2014 at 9:46 am

Just forwarded it to Carol, Jackie, what a fantastic newsletter!

• 20 jackiegrumbacher
            January 4, 2014 at 9:51 am

Chips, it carries a lot of links I get from our great posters here and there’s a big plug for TOD at the end of each newsletter, as well as a link to What Is Working. We’ve been doing this for over two years and the feedback has been great. It’s the only vehicle in the county for the collection of Dem news.

• 22 donna dem 4 obama
      January 4, 2014 at 9:49 am

Good Morning Jackie..It’s a balmy 11 degrees here in the DC area. brrrrrrrrrrrrr

• 23 jackiegrumbacher
        January 4, 2014 at 9:58 am

Yuck! Expect that kind of weather in the hinterlands (us), but not in DC. Stay warm, Donna.

• January 4, 2014 at 10:28 am

hello Jackie….GM…I plan to attend the Progressive summit this year…if you plan to go…perhaps we could meet…
      Is money the reason why folks do not run…maybe this should be a topic at the summit…encouraging folks to run…

I have never really labeled myself as a progressive …but I look at PBO…and I see him as a progressive who is also pragmatic….I like that…

cold here in Philly too…I see so many folks who are not dressed properly for the elements …I am grateful and sad at the same time…grateful that I have a warm coat to wear and sad that so many do not…

I crochet…and I have been making scarves of late…I call them cozy threads…I have been thinking about donating my scarves to a charity or shelter for women and children…just a small way to give some warmth…

stay warm!

January 4, 2014 at 9:38 am
    January 4, 2014 at 9:41 am
    January 4, 2014 at 9:44 am

Isn’t meet the repubs supposed to be killed off in new year?

And will the effing dems ever put the effing msm on defense by raising some demands of equal time and participation?

8. 32 Linda
    January 4, 2014 at 9:44 am

The Oregon study on Medicaid enrollees using the ER 40 % more is laughable since the difference is 1% vs 1.4 % ..the media is being ridiculous about this.

Also…here is the segment from PBS newshour interviewing the person who did the study…….it seems , once again, the media is cherry picking a tiny tiny portion of the study ……

I could hardly make sense of what she is saying.

BTW…this study is unique to Oregon and has nothing to do with the current expansion of Medicaid at all…

9. 34 Linda
    January 4, 2014 at 9:50 am

My Koi pond is frozen here in Georgia…..and one of our baby goats has died….(we think from the cold.)

10. 37 donna dem 4 obama
    January 4, 2014 at 9:53 am

The younger generations of Cuban Americans have a different set of values and they run parallel with the Democratic Party. We just need to go after their vote with a vengeance.

• 38 jackiegrumbacher
      January 4, 2014 at 9:56 am

Donna, this is great and it’s about time.

January 4, 2014 at 10:02 am

Indeed Donna. For the first time ever, a the Cuban-American vote went to a Dem President in 2012. This has been very much downplayed by the media if at all mentioned – but it IS a BFD. If it were the other way around, we would be hearing about it on a daily basis….

• 40 africa
        January 4, 2014 at 10:34 am

Media is picking up all the traits of the GOP. If they act like it did not happen, they think it will go away. And Mitt is president of the United States. OK, then.

11. 41 anniebella
    January 4, 2014 at 10:02 am

You have Koch Brothers ad running here in North Carolina against the ACA (Obamacare) going against Senator Hagan for supporting the ACA.

January 4, 2014 at 10:07 am
  13. 43 anniebella
    January 4, 2014 at 10:12 am

So a guy in Utah is on a hunger strike to protest gay marriage. Well I’m on a hunger strike to protest racism. Any Tea Party Republicans want to join me?

• 44 Layla
      January 4, 2014 at 10:23 am

Good one annieb!!!!! My favorite of yours is ‘bring your camel to work day’!!!! I am still cracking up over that one!

14. 45 donna dem 4 obama
    January 4, 2014 at 10:13 am

I want Dems to come up with good strong candidates to run against any realistically winnable Republican next year but if the crazy, nutjob Tea Party candidates want to give us a little help we will gladly take it.

15. 46 Cindy
    January 4, 2014 at 10:29 am

Good morning TOD family,
    I don’t know if any one caught the beginning of the Malissa Harris show this morning, but she opened with more apologies. Her voice broke and I changed the station because she was almost in tears. I bravely turned back, and she was still apologizing. I don’t have a problem with any one apologizing if they feel that they have wronged someone. However, it is clear that she caught hell from MSNBC. This is the same station that allowed scary hair Trump to come on week after week, and humiliate the President about not being born in this country.

I don’t recall Joe Scarborough (name spell?), and his friend Halpern, who called the President a dick on national TV, coming back a week later crying and apologizing to our First Family. It’s just a matter of time that someone ask the President; what do you think about M.Harris mocking Mitt’s and Mrs. Ann beautiful biracial grandson? Surely you have an opinion Mr. President since you are the product of a biracial family, this could be a teachable moment for blacks to be sensitive. I just hate that she had to be paraded on national TV….again, crying for Mitt to accept her apology. MSNBC sucks!!!!!

• 47 Layla
      January 4, 2014 at 10:33 am

..soon to be Martin Bashired MHP!!!!!

January 4, 2014 at 10:34 am

Melissa Harris Perry was groveling to keep her job. This is shameful and there’s nothing admirable about that apology. She should have stood her ground and said that she was not making fun of the child, but of the Romney’s seeming use of the child to advance their publicity and political aspirations. She had already tweeted an apology (with several tweets mind you) and should not have to repeat it on her show, almost in tears.

• January 4, 2014 at 10:40 am

Saw it. Agree with everything already said here.

January 4, 2014 at 10:41 am

I was planning to watch her show this morning, but I figure this is what she would do so I decided not to watch. I can not stand Phil Griffin and MSNBC.

• 51 Cindy
          January 4, 2014 at 10:46 am

Good for you Anniebella,
          I was channel surfing and caught her right at that moment. She was pleading for mercy and I was disgusted, begging like a dog who wanted his bone.

• January 4, 2014 at 10:41 am

I have to admit that I really don’t even give a damn about this whole NON-issue but if that’s what MHP just did on her show then she’s just contributing to the horrific downfall of our media. UGH, I detest all this madness.

• 54 Cindy
        January 4, 2014 at 10:45 am

Yes Hopefruit2,
        My thoughts were the same. She had already apologized, you don’t have to do it again. What bothered me, was to see her break down in tears, clearly she has been under extreme pressure over this. I just want to see the day that M.Harris and others defend the President when he is talked about. None of these individuals told Trump to stop. Joke morning show entertained him over and over and even laughed about it. I believe Joe was behind this and is still pushing it. Remember, he was like an over zealous bully at the playgrounds as he encouraged Halpern to say something bad about the President because he thought that the sounds were turned off. I never saw him apologize and in tears.

16. January 4, 2014 at 10:30 am

Goood Morning…Ms Chipss…GM UT…and all of TODville

checking in from frigid Philly…..brrrrrrrrrr

17. 56 donna dem 4 obama
    January 4, 2014 at 10:31 am

photo/1

18. 57 JER
    January 4, 2014 at 10:31 am

Good Morning Chips and TOD.

The first family’s Hawaii vacation is coming to an end. But before they head back to Washington D.C they dined on Japanese food. … http://www.khon2.com/news/president-leaves-hawaii-saturday?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• 58 Cindy
      January 4, 2014 at 10:38 am

Finally, the First Family had a an uninterrupted vacation. I prayed that the President would not have to return back to Washington for any emergencies. I am sure he is ready and prepared to come back and kick the Repukes rear ends. We must pray for the 1.3 million people who have lost their only means of support (unemployment checks) because Cantor released a memo and this is not on their agenda for January, they are going after ACA again in January. This should just be criminal; these morally bankrupted individuals are collecting a paycheck to do what? To do nothing but fight President Obama.

19. 59 mophene
    January 4, 2014 at 10:37 am

I never thought Pierce could top ever top “Wild eyed granny starver,” but he did. Unfortunately Michigan is also becoming a Koch Brothers subsidiary.

January 4, 2014 at 10:39 am

Morning everyone…Happy Saturday! It is Saturday, right? Lost track of the days since vacation…. Chips, I wasn’t around much yesterday, but I did see that happened to you and Danny. I’m so sorry and sad that happened. Seems as if Danny’s ok, but if someone would hurt an animal…..doesn’t bode well for people, either.

Came across this: http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2014/01/quelle-surprise-new-report-show-outsourcing-government-services-looting.html

Good article to read and pass…..about privatizing state and local services, and what that means, and how it looks in real life….yeah, it looks like the LOOTING it is!

In 2011, Deborah Toomey, a concerned citizen of Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, asked her city government to review video recordings of city commission meetings. The city contracts with Sierra Community Council, Inc., a private company, to record the meetings and maintain the video recordings. The city refused to hand over the recordings, stating that the videos were not subject to open records laws because the city did not have these recordings in its possession.9 Even though the recordings were of public meetings of elected city officials and pertained to government business, taxpayers were denied access to them because they were considered the property of a private company.

The blandly titled “Accountability” section is more accurately titled “Companies take money and don’t deliver anything approaching the stipulated level of services.” The report also reveals that one of the ways these contractors meet their targets is by effectively fobbing costs back on the state, by paying working low wages that force them to rely on public services. in 2008, 80% of the employees working on Federal service contracts made less than a living wage; the level is likely to be similar for state and local contracts. And of course, this means that local governments, perversely, are sabotaging their economies by driving wages and hence demand and eventually their tax bases down.

January 4, 2014 at 10:40 am

This is exactly how I feel about this. MHP is not the President of the United States. She is not begging anyone for votes to keep her in office so that she can do greater good for the country and the world. She has a very limited weekend job on MSNBC that relatively few people watch and the job is mostly to put money in her pocket. Why does she feel the need to reduce herself to a beggar on national TV?!?!?

• January 4, 2014 at 10:44 am

Way to surrender power to the RWNJs. All these mopes masquerading as “journos” are depressing as hell.

• January 4, 2014 at 10:47 am

WEAK SAUCE

• 64 forus50
          January 4, 2014 at 11:17 am

Oh good grief, MHP takes herself too seriously. Groveling for your job is not a pretty picture. Grow up and own it. I’m sure it’s just me but I can’t stand the #nerdland hashtag that she and the annoying Chris Hayes uses and it would be no loss if they both left and they had Saturday morning cartoons on instead.

I saw a tweet about the dangers of activist media and as much as is wrong with FOX is also wrong with MSNBC. I’m not sure I like the term “activist” but it isn’t incorrect, it’s just that it’s activism by corporations. Most people want their news to be free from slant. In today’s world you have to be always alert to know where the facts end and the opinion by the paid advertisers begins. And with 3 corporations owning all the media, there is no chance that anyone is getting straight news without slant. Even worse than the slant is all the news they are not even presenting. Thank God or Al Gore or the government for the internet. :)

• January 4, 2014 at 11:22 am

wow….we sense blood in the water and like sharks we go on the attack….

22. 66 Allison
    January 4, 2014 at 10:44 am
    • 67 Cindy
      January 4, 2014 at 10:55 am

I am glad Mr. Perry is proud of his wife, but I am not because she was paraded on national TV to do what she had already done because she was begging for her job. To see this woman breakdown and plead to be forgiven, repeating what she had already done, was senseless and MSNBC did not have to do this. She apologized earlier and that was enough. When will Joe and others apologize to our First Family for what they allow on that network, they entertain the hate against President Obama, they laugh about, joke about it, and then they make others apologize for speaking the truth. The news medias are nothing more than garbage.

• January 4, 2014 at 11:20 am

…how easily we pile on MHP….it seems that we should support her even if with we disagree with the apology…we should be critical about the larger issue….which is that Blk Folks are held to a different standard than white folks…something that most of us can understand…but to take the criticism of MHP further as so many others have…. by getting nasty and belligerent…attacking her character is off the chain to me…

Mr Perry…is supporting his wife…thru thick and thin…as we should…

January 4, 2014 at 11:16 am

I’m glad you are proud of her Mr. Perry.

23. 70 JER
    January 4, 2014 at 10:45 am

WASHINGTON (AP) – Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke on Friday predicted a stronger year for the U.S. economy in 2014, saying several factors that have held back growth appear to be abating. … http://www.chron.com/news/article/Bernanke-2014-could-be-better-year-for-US-economy-5111590.php

24. January 4, 2014 at 10:49 am

In spite of everything……..

25. January 4, 2014 at 11:04 am

“Their new book, “The Public School Advantage: Why Public Schools Outperform Private Schools,” the Lubienskis explain how, after you account for the socioeconomic factors that benefit private schools, public elementary schools are, on average, more effective at teaching mathematics. Chris and Sarah Lubienski recently spoke with NEA Today about their findings, the impact of “autonomy” in private schools, and educational equity”.

January 4, 2014 at 11:06 am

Do you now understand why I’m not excited about Joy Ann Reid getting a job on MSNBC? Because if she has to subvert herself and her independent thought just to retain employment at that network, why bother?

• 74 Don
      January 4, 2014 at 11:11 am

That sister didn’t have to go out like that, and I’m serious, and mad. If Joy does get a show, I trust that she won’t end up like MHP, begging for forgiveness from a bunch of spinelss shameful whores.

• 75 Cindy
        January 4, 2014 at 11:16 am

I felt humiliated, as a woman and a black woman.

January 4, 2014 at 11:19 am

“That sister didn’t have to go out like that”

Unless she didn’t mind being fired.

Joy Ann Reid, by accepting a show on MSNBC MUST agree to the terms of their conditions of employment. That is true of every employee.

• 78 Don
          January 4, 2014 at 11:23 am

But kissing someone’s ass just to get or keep a job is a term that I hope Joy doesn’t agree to.

January 4, 2014 at 11:26 am

Not agreeing to that term means not employed by MSNBC. Which goes back to my original point.

• 80 Don
              January 4, 2014 at 11:29 am

I know what you are saying, hopefruit2, but at this moment I’m blinded by anger that this sister felt she had to do what she did.

January 4, 2014 at 11:33 am

This is much bigger than MHP. It’s a domination of RW ideology and hate speech while suppressing diversity of thought. And the US media is at the forefront of this regressive movement.

• January 4, 2014 at 12:18 pm

I agree with this…I would go further and say that this ideology has created a scenario in which speaking about racism is a misnomer eg: playing the race card, being divisive…etc……unless of course it is spoken by Beck, Limbaugh, Palin, etc…

• January 4, 2014 at 12:52 pm

I agree with everything you’ve said so far, prettyfoot. It’s not even about Melissa, but it impossible to have an open and honest conversation about race. A friend of mine says it perfectly…trying to discuss race is like trying to throw a grenade and finding that it’s stuck to your hand.

• January 4, 2014 at 2:03 pm

And now Fox will have Romney on his show to chime in on the TOPIC that MSNBC has made mainstream….but the topic of the Romney folks naming a Blk child a word that means the “dark one” is not addressed…the hailstorm that has besieged MHP from both sides will continue/and on air blk folks will be chastened and become subsequently less open to discussing racism…allowing the RW to determine what is to be discussed about race.

• 85 Nena20409
                  January 4, 2014 at 2:49 pm

1001% correct.

MSNBC is flagged as left leaning, yet it is now Joe Scarborough who calls the shot as how PROGRESSIVES should behave. Rev Al goes to Mourning Joke, that further legitimizes lying cheating JoeScar’s power. Keith would not play,…..he was fired. Donahue, Matthews made sure of that. Martin Bashir, gone. Now MHP who wins Cable 18-24/28 demographics on Cable is being railroaded. You see, the righties on TV…..Jon Karl, Tapper, the 3 women on CBC, Lara, and the 2 on their Morning shows, those on Cable, Radio and Print can say and write horrible insults about pres Obama and his family or any Dem and the 6 corporate media would not demand apologies or fire them.

Helen Thomas was fired. Octavia Nasir, Aaron Brown, Dan Rather, etc. How many righties with their Vile commentaries have ever lost their jobs in the era of Bush V Gore? Not that many.

Note that there are today Visibly less African Americans on TV, Cable or print providing and reporting the news since pres Obama. Note how in 2008, Gwen Ifill was attacked for lack of objectivity as she moderated VP debate. No such questions were raised about those who moderated the 3 presidential debates.

January 4, 2014 at 11:12 am

Now that I see what kind of people runs MSNBC, I agree with you hopefruit2 concerning Joy Reid.

• 87 Vicki
      January 4, 2014 at 11:23 am

My thoughts exactly, hf. Joy Reid unable to express herself is not the same Joy Reid.
      GOP owns the newspapers all the tv stations and radio stations and they have no interest in fairness.
      It is maddening.

MHP show has been a diluted non-news waste of time for months. GOP framing.

When a clip is up somewhere’s I will watch the apology. So sad and sickening.

• January 4, 2014 at 12:19 pm

I saw Joy on Matthews show with the “former” Repub whats-his-face subbing for Chris. Joy was not her forceful self against a RWNJ strategist. She didn’t really push back against the lies this guy was saying. I think that it is a forgone conclusion that anyone, especially anyone black and/or progressive who wants to remain on MSNBC needs to tow the line. And Joy Reid is not and will not be an exception.

27. 89 Don
    January 4, 2014 at 11:06 am

Just tuned in, I didn’t know that MHP cried on her show this morning. But that’s not the pound of flesh that the GOP and MSM were really looking for. The pound of flesh that they really want they can’t get, and they won’t be able to get simply because to get ass you have to bring ass, and they aren’t about to bring ass to this fight. And as far as I’m concerned, every time one of these people came looking for some ass to get, they got exactly what they didn’t want. So they will settle for the MHP’s of the world, they will at one point or another get a Martin Bashir. But there is no way that they will ever get Barack Hussein Obama, he’s cut from a different cloth and they know it.

• 90 Cindy
      January 4, 2014 at 11:13 am

Nicely said Don!

• January 4, 2014 at 11:31 am

So they will settle for the MHP’s of the world…

*********************

so easily you just dismiss her…because she did not perform in the manner that you thought that she should…

i wonder what many of us would do if we were in her position…reminds of the criticism that the PL throws on PBO when he does behave the manner that they believe he should…

• 92 Don
        January 4, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thank you for bringing it to my attention, but Prettyfoot58, all the time I’ve posted here I’ve never once disrespected MHP or any other woman on any level. In my life, trust me, I’ve had to kiss someone’s ass and that shit didn’t taste good at. I truly apologize for offending you with my comment, I respect you and I’m sorry for saying what I said. I hate to feel like this. Sometimes my emotions get the best of me, that is not an excuse, I should think more before I speak.

• 95 Layla
        January 4, 2014 at 11:56 am

Anger should be directed at MSNBC not MHP!!!!!!!!

January 4, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Yes, this is much bigger than MHP…it’s all about MSNBainCapital and their dogged reverence to corporate funding and dirty money and warped ideologies.

28. 98 Don
    January 4, 2014 at 11:20 am

These are the type of situations that I find myself saying things that I shouldn’t say, but goddamn. I may disagree on some of the things that MHP says, but that sister, my sister, should not have felt that she had to put herself out there like that. Not after these people have called the first black President of the United States of America every name but the son of god, they have disrespected this man and his family in public and private. The same people that MHP was accused of disrespecting have disrespected this President at every turn. The same network that MHP works for has disrespected this President and his family at every turn…..I’m going to end this right here because if I don’t I’m going to say something that I won’t regret saying.

• 99 Cindy
      January 4, 2014 at 11:59 am

It’s okay Don and to everyone,
      We all have our opinion about this situation. We feel it differently and we see it differently and it’s okay. I am glad her husband supports her for going on national TV pleading for forgiveness. He should support her but his support is not my support. She had apologized “last year.” I think we all accepted her apology and moved on; however, MSNBC saw it necessary to bring her on national TV, in the new year and have her to do it all over again as though she had never addressed the matter, appeasing the right wing.

That is my issue with the whole thing. Had she not been under pressure to do it again, chances are she would not have broken down as she did. It was pressure and it was obvious. It is true, the same people, and the same station has humiliated our First Family and they have entertained it every day for as long as I can remember. They entertained Trump over and over about the President’s birth place, and I remember many of them just sitting and laughing with Trump. No one was calling for him to stop and they laughed about it. Being African American, it was never funny to me. The way they treat minorities is not funny to me.

They shamed M. Harris to going on air and opening her segment with….I am so sorry again. Yes, she would have no doubt been out of a job for refusing, but when do you stand for something. Are these same morons at MSNBC calling out Mitt and Mrs. Ann for that little boy’s name and what his name means when you translate it? No, because this is nothing more than a theatrical play by the right wing and drumming up something old is another distraction of what they are doing to this country and 1.3 million people who needs emergency help with unemployment. It’s just a matter of time before someone tries to make President Obama weigh in on it by asking; Mr. President you are the product of a mix family, what is your opinion about M. Harris mocking the Mitt’s beautiful grandson, surely as a biracial child you can feel their pain? Is this a teachable moment for blacks Mr. President? If the right wing have their way, M. Harris will probably be out of a job anyway.

29. 100 forus50
    January 4, 2014 at 11:21 am

test test</del

30. 101 JER
    January 4, 2014 at 11:22 am
  31. 102 Jovie
    January 4, 2014 at 11:23 am

Good morning! I have strep throat again, and I put on the tv and I saw Ralph freaking Nader talking smack.
    And I threw up!
    No lie ! :)

• 103 jackiegrumbacher
      January 4, 2014 at 11:57 am

Jovie, hope you get well soon. Best thing to do when you’re feeling sick is to watch a movie that you love and turn off all live crap to keep your stress level down. Hope you have antibiotics and are eating good soup and honey flavored tea. We all need you hale and healthy to fight the good fight in Fla. in 2014.

32. 104 dotster3
    January 4, 2014 at 11:41 am

Alongside the above link re. the Obamas and friends enjoying their last night at a Japanese restaurant, I noticed just a tragic story. A 3 yr. old little girl is in a coma and in hospice after going to the dentist for 4 root canals. First of all, why in the world would a 3 yr. old be getting 4 root canals? During the procedure she was allegedly given a dangerous overdose of sedatives and was not monitored until it was too late. And when it was apparent she was in big trouble she was not given CPR. People need to always get a 2nd opinion and not just blindly trust what any medical professional prescribes/recommends as to treatments——-and do their homework about a dr.’s or dentist’s experience. There are good and bad dr.s and dentists, just like in any profession.

• 105 jackiegrumbacher
      January 4, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Dotster, that’s terrible and so unspeakably tragic for her parents. That kind of intensive, intrusive dentistry on a child should only be done under hospital-like conditions with all sorts of vital sign monitors. I pray that this poor little one survives and I hope her parents destroy the reputation of that dentist.

My son is 6 ft tall and strong, but he had dental work done that was so extensive, he was sick for days. Imagine the impact on a tiny child.

33. 109 forus50
    January 4, 2014 at 11:56 am

Imo, we shouldn’t at all be invested in what some show host says or does not say on tv or radio. 4 years ago, none of us knew of a person named Melissa Harris Perry. And we know her now not because she was elected to Congress but because she has a “show” put on by Comcast and GE. MPH and all the other show hosts are puppets in every sense of the word. So we have to acknowledge we are watching a puppet show, nothing more, nothing less. I’m not that interested in puppets. In fact the last time I cared about a puppet was watching Kermit the Frog and Ms. Piggy with my godchild.

In all seriousness, these three multi-billion dollar media corporations LOVE having this type of controversy and getting everyone talking about one of their puppet shows. Somehow we want to believe that MPH and anyone else on one of these channels “owns” their show. Nothing could be farther from the truth. When Barack Obama said in his first campaign that he doesn’t watch cable pundit shows I thought, “Wow, I thought everyone in DC did! That’s so great to hear that he knows he’s not missing anything by not watching them.” And since then I will only watch taped segments that are informative (which means I probably watched about 2 hours of tape in total in all of 2013).

It’s sad that the RWNJ continue to spew hate 24/7 and any slight to them by our side is cause for immediate consternation. But that’s always how it has been and will continue to be when tv and radio is controlled by corporations and paid advertisers. Let’s focus on what POTUS needs our help on and not get distracted by puppets.

• 110 Cindy
      January 4, 2014 at 12:06 pm

True that Forus50,
      It is a distraction. I just wish that those pundits, stations and what ever else should be added, were concerned about the 1.3 million human beings who will not get their unemployment check this week. How will they eat, pay for housing and giving money to their children for lunch? That is what concerns me in this new year. I’ve had and I’ve had not, and not having hurts to the core of your heart. The news should be about these families.

• January 4, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I’m right with you. I’ll look to see who’s on a particular show and if I don’t see anyone I want to hear from, I turn the channel. I really don’t know who is a liberal. Rachel seems to lean libertarian. I know people can change, but these former Republicans now so-called progressives get the side-eye from me. Schultz told Dems not to vote in 2010. But I know they all must follow a script and some topics are taboo. I’m not a fan of MHP. She’s another pundit that thinks she should tell President Obama what to do, when to do it and how to do it. I’m sorry that she had to humble herself before her viewers. Obviously it wasn’t horrific for her to do it. Because people tend to say eff you, if they are made to give up their principles. She’s not hurting for money. A lost of this job would not harm her family. So I think the TV program was a little more important to her than the necessity of having to apologize yet again.

• 112 jackiegrumbacher
      January 4, 2014 at 12:08 pm

Forus 50, I 1000 percent agree with you. All of these pundit shows are acts put on by the corporations that control them. Some try to give the “appearance” of leaning left, but a lot of that is illusory and tight controls are put on how far they can lean. I have NEVER watched a pundit show and, like you, have spent only minutes looking at links someone here might have posted. Once there were no longer “publicly owned” airwaves and once the right leaning corporations took over, it all became a waste of time. Better to look for primary sources than to spend your life getting frustrated by bloviating corporate spokespeople.

34. 113 Don
    January 4, 2014 at 12:05 pm

So……..well………anybody see any good movies lately?

• 114 Linda
      January 4, 2014 at 12:13 pm

History of the Eagles on Showtime.

• 117 dotster3
      January 4, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I saw American Hustle—-fun movie to watch—–con artists, plot twists, great acting, fun ’70′s music and laughable 70′s clothing styles. Recommend.

• 118 forus50
      January 4, 2014 at 12:16 pm

:) :) I like to watch movies on Netflix and now have it on my tv screen as my boyfriend bought me a Blu-ray for my birthday last year and hooked it up. :) (So now I have Netflix, Pandora and Youtube on my tv screens.) There are sooooo many good movies that never made it to the theater or tv. If you like documentaries, a friend recommended these – so far I’ve just watched a couple of them.
      The Art of the Steal-excellent
      Senna- excellent
      Happy- pretty good
      Helvetica (it’s about type-font and is shockingly interesting)
      Tapped- excellent but depressing
      Park Avenue- same as above
      Appalachian Trail (national geographic)
      Wal-Mart, the high cost of low price- excellent, depressing

35. 119 dotster3
    January 4, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Another shocking story of child sex abuse in Catholic Church. Newly disclosed court filings reveal that 115 “employees” of the St. Louis Archdiocese were accused of abuse of children over the last 3 decades. Shameful beyond belief.

• 120 Layla
      January 4, 2014 at 12:15 pm

..but…but…contraception!!!!!!

• January 4, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Although i have not been part of the Catholic faithful for many years…i have to wonder why more of those who still consider themselves the Catholic Faithful are not speaking out about this…about why Catholic women who use birth control are not speaking out about the Church’s attack on birth control…i really do not think these things are going to change until the congregation forces change…

36. 122 donna dem 4 obama
    January 4, 2014 at 12:17 pm
    January 4, 2014 at 12:22 pm

H/T to Charles Pierce. Listen.

38. 126 dotster3
    January 4, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I can’t believe that the Duck Dynasty boys have become real heroes to many “Christian” churches. A suburban Chgo church is hosting one of the Duck bigots to speak this weekend to kick off their ‘focus on family’ series. They’re expecting a huge crowd, planning overflow rooms and shuttle parking. What family values? Hate and racism and child brides?

January 4, 2014 at 12:49 pm

More goodness from the “No shit” file.

Kraus’ even more recent work, not yet published, goes beyond what high-status individuals believe in order to maintain the status hierarchy and explores what they do. Consider Congress. Members’ median net worth, in 2011, was $966,000. “They’re quite wealthy individuals,” Kraus says. “And because they’re wealthy they’re likely to engage in not only these essentialistic [mental] processes, but these people actually have power to enact laws to maintain inequality.”

40. 131 Catherine Perry
    January 4, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Have to de lurk to defend MHP. I look forward to her show every weekend and enjoy the conversations and especially the wide variety of guests not given voice anywhere on network TV. I don’t feel that she groveled this morning but sincerely felt she had allowed the conversation last week to cross a line.