101 Responses to “Heads Up: Pres. Obama On Promise Zones”

1. 3 Ladyhawke
    January 9, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Stories Add Up as Bully Image Trails Christie

By KATE ZERNIKE

——————————————————

He was surprised to receive a handwritten note from Mr. Christie, telling him that he had heard the comments, and that he didn’t like them.

“I thought it was a joke,” Mr. McKeon recalled. “What governor would take the time to write a personal note over a relatively innocuous comment?”

But the gesture would come to seem genteel compared with the fate suffered by others in disagreements with Mr. Christie: a former governor who was stripped of police security at public events; a Rutgers professor who lost state financing for cherished programs; a state senator whose candidate for a judgeship suddenly stalled; another senator who was disinvited from an event with the governor in his own district.

———————————————————-

• January 9, 2014 at 2:44 pm

And that was a man the media was crowning presidential just a few months ago. For shame!

• 5 Obama Grandmama
      January 9, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Sounds a lot like the revenge stories I read about in 2008 when I was researching about Sarah Palin. Hope these stories of other bullying incidents stay in the news.

2. 7 Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 2:37 pm

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Lawmakers have accused a former appointee of Gov. Chris Christie of contempt after he refused to answer questions from a legislative committee looking into a scandal involving punitive traffic lane closures.

David Wildstein is asserting his right to remain silent on the advice of his lawyer. Wildstein refused to say where he previously worked, and his lawyer said he would assert the right to remain silent to all questions.

Lawmakers say the contempt charge will be referred to law enforcement.

January 9, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Love how the President will place “Promise Zones” in “economically distressed areas,” for the good of America’s children!

January 9, 2014 at 2:40 pm

The LA and Philly mayors, a state legislator from San Antonio, and a tribal leader are at the President’s event today.

5. 22 HZ
    January 9, 2014 at 2:43 pm

McConnell and Rand Paul are in the house. You go Mr. President. And POTUS called the names. Prayers still being answered.HZ

January 9, 2014 at 2:45 pm

“Every kid in this country can make it.” — President Obama

7. 25 HZ
    January 9, 2014 at 2:48 pm

“Let us act and make it happen this year.” President Barack Obama.

I love my president and will do all that is within my power to help him do it. HZ

January 9, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Just muted MSNBC when they got to the after-party, saying there’s only some bi-partisan support for the Promise Zones.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the things wrong with putting Republicans in office. Just one of ‘em. Gag.

January 9, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Not to worry. MSNBC gave the President’s remarks three seconds, and then they went back to the Christie story.

#KeepGoingMrPresident

9. 28 Vicki
    January 9, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Did anyone ask Christie how many calls, complaints and e-mails he’d gotten while the Bridge was sabotaged?
    And if he is that Big Powerful Governor that exists in his own mind, why didn’t he remove the cones?

New York officials walked out on the Bridge to the state line and cleared all the cones from NY side.

10. 30 57andfemale
    January 9, 2014 at 2:50 pm

11. 31 HZ
    January 9, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Kristal Welker, for your information President Barack Obama does not have another election to run. This is not about POTUS, but maybe you should do your research and report how these Republicans Governors do not cooperate in these states.

I detest Kristal ? reporting. I do not believe that she has the interest of this WH in reporting about it. I would love to see her go!HZ

• 32 Vicki
      January 9, 2014 at 2:55 pm

the worst. I said weeks ago that Martin B might have been glad to go rather than have to listen to robot Kristen Welker use up her time on his show in such a way that nothing accurate and newsworthy got discussed.

12. 33 Vicki
    January 9, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Christie is the rapist who insists on a face to face with his victim
    Mayor Sokolich refuses and Christie (DSM 4) a textbook case of narcissistic personality disorder feels “hurt.”

This is the GOP.

13. 35 Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Eastern Kentucky is a good place to do this….

That part of the State has the most people addicted to Oxycontin in the country according to a Documentary I saw titled ” The Oxy Express ”

The officer interviewed said that 95 % of his arrests are for it. He also said that the dealers go to Florida to get it at those pain clinics that are on every corner down there. The prescriptions are all filled in Florida and sold on the streets in KY.

• 36 HZ
      January 9, 2014 at 3:06 pm

AG, Eric Holder was sitting on the front row right there with our president. Things will get done. Trust me. HZ

January 9, 2014 at 2:54 pm

January 9, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Give it to me in 20 words or less – what has been happening? I have been looking in periodically while I pretend to take down Christmas decorations and every time I have looked I see a new post or two. End result is that I am completely ‘lost’. This is one of those times I would need Utal to summarize the actual posts, including comments!

• 39 Layla
      January 9, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Here goes: Christie lied and PBO is wonderful!

• 44 daisydem
      January 9, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Bottom line … I can’t get any work done beyond greeting clients and then checking them out … the paper work has to wait. I cannot tear myself away from TOD and the Christie story. Just can’t. It is so bad that it is good. I want the GOP destroyed; have wanted that since Watergate. And yes, I love my President and I want to focus on the positive that he is doing today and each day in spite of the Republicans, but I can’t tear myself away from eagerly awaiting the last tidbit of information on Christie. Give me the deets.

January 9, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I’m going to stay close to you DaisyD so that when you get the deets, I can get a quick picture of what’s up. The thought of having to read all the posts I’ve missed today in their entirety causes my liver to quiver.

16. 46 Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 3:02 pm

MSNBC is live in Fort Lee waiting for Christie to show up……..how pathetic

January 9, 2014 at 3:08 pm

When Tweety is having a hard time believing Christie – things are bad….

18. 61 Ladyhawke
    January 9, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Not An Isolated Incident: Christie Has Been Repeatedly Accused Of Political Retribution

19. 64 Don
    January 9, 2014 at 3:11 pm

I hope Bridgett Kelly is trying to get in contact with Gloria Allred. Christie really dropped the hammer on her, he called her a liar. You don’t call the person that knows where the bodies are buried a liar.

• 65 Layla
      January 9, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Hope she is not suddenly a ‘missing person’

• 66 HZ
      January 9, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Don, I just prayed that prayer. Let her get the best of the best of the lawyers. Please.HZ

• 67 pkayden
      January 9, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Kelly is not a nice person given her involvement and support for the bridge closing. I would hope that Allred would refuse to represent her. Let her take her punishment like the thug she is, along with Christie’s other close aides.

20. 68 HZ
    January 9, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Christie is all about power. Not the power of the people and how their power can hampered in a moment by power grabbing people like him.HZ

January 9, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Here’s an example of what NOT to do when the media puts out garbage…

22. 71 Don
    January 9, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Where is the sex in all of this, it has to be somewhere deep down in that cesspool of an office. Somebody has to be screwing somebody, arrogance and greed usually accompanies sex.

January 9, 2014 at 3:20 pm

And power. Christie’s all about power.

• 73 Layla
      January 9, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Ha! Maybe there was sex but that person got squished to death!

January 9, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Are you still looking for the sex, Don? I seem to remember you looking on one of the earlier occasions this morning when I popped in. It’s probably so well-hidden that you may not find it this time. :grin|:

• 75 dotster3
      January 9, 2014 at 4:09 pm

In one photo I saw Christie was looking at the Kelly gal like she was a delicious cupcake.
      But that’s all I got.

January 9, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Guess the Rs in the Senate are back to “hurting children” …

• 77 HZ
      January 9, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Holding Pattern on Senate Floor. Sen. Heller is in out with broken ankle? Leader Reid, Boxer in discussion now. Waiting for an update on the status of the bill extending unemployment benefits.HZ

24. 79 japa21
    January 9, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I was just getting ready to add a comment to LL'[s post when I see a new thread opened up. Anyway, LL, I was also thinking of the Henry II comparisons in regardsd to Christie. The difference is, Henry actually accepted some responsibility for the actions of his minions, even though he still threw them under the carriage.

25. 80 Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Reid is calling for cloture on multiple amendments

26. 81 Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Portman just accused Reid of ” filling the tree ” so Republicans cannot stall and drag this out.

boo hoo.

27. 82 Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Harry Reid is wondering why Republicans need a ” memo ” to tell them how to talk about the unemployment.

28. 84 Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Huge media crowd waiting in Fort Lee…..lots of cameras and barricades.

• 85 dotster3
      January 9, 2014 at 4:13 pm

They wanted the photo of Christie and the Ft. Lee mayor arm and arm, maybe kiss and make up——so all could be forgiven and everyone could forget and move along now.
      Glad the mayor declined the invitation.

January 9, 2014 at 4:13 pm

The photo-op moment.

30. 88 dotster3
    January 9, 2014 at 4:24 pm

It’s on days like this that I really miss Martin Bashir. He would have had such fun with this whole Christie story, would have made mincemeat of that whole press mess.

31. 89 yardarm756
    January 9, 2014 at 4:29 pm

32. 90 57andfemale
    January 9, 2014 at 4:33 pm

33. January 9, 2014 at 4:34 pm

34. 93 yardarm756
    January 9, 2014 at 4:37 pm

35. 96 Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 4:43 pm

They are voting on DC judge Wilkins.

36. 100 Linda
    January 9, 2014 at 5:03 pm

MIAMI (AP) — A man held at Guantanamo Bay who was previously deemed too dangerous to release has been re-evaluated by a U.S. government panel reviewing cases as part of an effort to close the prison, officials said Thursday.

The six-member board decided that Mahmud Mujahid, who has been held at Guantanamo since January 2002, no longer poses a “continuing significant threat” to the United States and is eligible for transfer out of the U.S. base in Cuba, the Pentagon said in a statement.

Mujahid, who was accused of being an al-Qaida fighter and bodyguard for Osama bin Laden although never charged with a crime, was one of dozens of men designated as too dangerous to release but could not be prosecuted for reasons such as a lack of evidence or jurisdiction. President Barack Obama directed authorities to review their cases as part of a renewed effort to close the prison, where the U.S. holds 155 men.

Mujahid, 33, was the first prisoner to go before the review board. He appeared with his lawyer and two personal representatives by video link from the base in Cuba with representatives of six government agencies in Washington.

His lawyer, David Remes, welcomed the news.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Remes said. “He never should have been held and now after 12 years he should be reunited with his family. There is no longer any excuse for keeping him at Guantanamo.”

No decision has been made on when Mujahid would be released from Guantanamo, said Army Lt. Col Todd Breasseale, a Pentagon spokesman.

The U.S. previously banned any transfers of prisoners to Yemen because of instability in the Mideast country. Obama has since said future releases there would be made on a case-by-case basis.

Of nearly 80 prisoners at Guantanamo cleared for transfer or release, more than 50 are from Yemen.