Jan

ObamaCare: Comprehensive Coverage For Women

BXr7bzcCcAA7tx0.jpg-large

Dr. Jill Biden: This Is The Affordable Care Act: Giving Women at High Risk for Breast Cancer Access to Free Chemoprevention Medication

More than 20 years ago, my personal involvement in the fight against breast cancer started after four of my friends were diagnosed with the disease in the same year. After one of those friends lost her battle, I saw just what a ruthless adversary breast cancer could be. Far too many of us have lost a loved one to breast cancer or seen a colleague or friend endure painful treatments to fight the disease. That is why I am so pleased that today the Administration is making clear that most health insurance plans must soon cover chemoprevention medications like tamoxifen and raloxifene that can reduce the risk of breast cancer for women who have an increased chance of developing the disease. In addition, these health plans will have to cover the medications at no cost to these women.

Women who are at high risk of developing breast cancer face many questions. Now, if their doctor recommends that the benefits of this treatment outweigh the risks, one question women across the country won’t have to ask is whether they can afford it. This is just one more way the Affordable Care Act is helping fight breast cancer. Already, the ACA ensures that about 47 million women have access to free mammograms every year or two, that insurance companies can no longer deny coverage or increase premiums due to pre-existing conditions like breast cancer, and new health plans can no longer set an annual or lifetime cap on someone’s health insurance benefits – meaning women diagnosed with breast cancer will not max out their insurance benefits while seeking treatment.

More here

BXXjOZJCAAAcTPx.jpg-large

117 Responses to “ObamaCare: Comprehensive Coverage For Women”

• 2 Judith Fardig
      January 9, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Hi Sonjia and congratulations! Love all this positive information about Obamacare’s benefits for women.

1. 3 sonjiaduncan
    January 9, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I finally get on and no one is home.

2. 6 globalcitizenlinda
    January 9, 2014 at 9:11 pm

hi!

January 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Where is our Mayoress? Congrats sonja on #1!

4. 8 MightyPamela
    January 9, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Does LL and all o y’all know today is the birthday of Joan Baez??! (1941)

5. 10 sonjiaduncan
    January 9, 2014 at 9:23 pm

You guys left me alone. I felt like a lost puppy. Hi jacquelineoboomer, globalcitizenlinda and hopefruit2. So glad to see you.

6. 13 99ts
    January 9, 2014 at 9:24 pm

Well – 24 hours and Christie is back where he started – the mayor accepts his apology, the GOP proclaims he is sad and misunderstood but still the greatest Governor since whenever – and TPM that bastion of the left media is back to discussing every right wing talking point they can find.

• January 9, 2014 at 9:30 pm

But Rachel is not letting it go., thankfully.

• 15 99ts
        January 9, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Just started watching that online – I am so impressed by the man leading the legislative inquiry in NJ – he should be persuaded to go into federal politics – so well spoken, articulate and knows his topic very well

• 16 0388jojothecat
        January 9, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Yes, Rachel has painted an intriguing picture of what might have happened. The day before the Deputy Chief of Staff gives the green lite to cause traffic he got mad at the Dems and fired a DEM State Supreme Court Judge!

7. 17 yardarm756
    January 9, 2014 at 9:31 pm

RM has hit on the real reason for the Christie blowup I think. If so, this Christie dude is one vindictive, hateful mofo. I wish I had a link to share the first half of her show………..help anybody?

• January 9, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Hey yardarm, I don’t have a video, but it was fascinating. Christi refused to give a NJ Supreme Court judge tenure. This had never been done before in the history of NJ. The judge just happened to be black. The judge had no scandals or anything negative associated with him. The Dems in the legislative got pissed with Christi and refused to approve any of the nominees put forth by Christi. Then another judge on the court time came up to receive tenure. Christi pulled her off the court rather than have her appear before the legislature. She is the wife of friend and Christi said he would not subject her to the “animals” (Democrats) in the legislature. This happened the very day BEFORE the bridge closing. So Rachel theorizing that this is the reason for retaliation. The date stamp on Kelly’s email is 7:00+am to very next morning after Christi went off, pulled his friend off the court and called the Dems animals. The head Democratic legislator on the judicial committee district is Fort Lee!

• 19 99ts
        January 9, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Oooh – I missed that

• 20 yardarm756
        January 9, 2014 at 9:51 pm

I can believe it. He’s such a ‘little’ man. Isaw the RM segment and I think it has legs. The twitterverse is a buzz.

• 21 GGail
        January 9, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Yardarm & Sabreen – thanks for the heads-up. I’ll have to be sure to watch Rachel in a couple of hours. Sounds like she’s connecting some dots! I hope her discoveries catch fire

• January 9, 2014 at 10:01 pm

How does someone run, or even be considered to run, for President who calls the members of the opposition ‘animals”? How will he deal with America’s enemies and competitors. He’s really juvenile. Not a leader at all.

• 23 99ts
          January 9, 2014 at 10:10 pm

“Bully” is the word. He is now bullying those he has fired – won’t talk to them – won’t discuss with them what was done. Christie throws aside anyone who causes him any minor or major grief.

• January 9, 2014 at 10:32 pm

this is Christie’s style…he is a bully …and a brute…arrogant and obnoxious…..

• 25 yardarm756
      January 9, 2014 at 9:47 pm

8. 26 yardarm756
    January 9, 2014 at 9:32 pm

From the end of the last thread.

9. 31 jackiegrumbacher
    January 9, 2014 at 9:40 pm

UT, you’ve done an amazing job today, punching out story after story and keeping us more informed than just about any other group in the US. So glad you ended on the truly positive story about ObamaCare helping women. Republican men will see this as a bug in the program, but women will “know” how this has changed their lives and they are the ones that will determine the future. We mustn’t be discouraged by the “seeming” acceptance of the Christie story. Most people thought Nixon would skate by the Watergate mess and each time he had one of his news events it seemed that he had, but Karma caught him in the end. Christie’s footing is much, much shakier than it was before yesterday. The next revelation will build on the deep distrust and suspicion of him that’s started in people’s minds. Then there will be another and another. He’s a phony and that will become painfully obvious before too long. We have to keep up the pressure and the reminders and make sure that 2013 was the last election he ever faces.

10. 33 GGail
    January 9, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Just finished watching Christie talking in lawyer mode and I swear I saw his nose grow – especially when he said “today I am sad”

January 9, 2014 at 9:51 pm

January 9, 2014 at 9:53 pm

13. 43 collegekay
    January 9, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Anyone ever seen this from 1998? He looks 12! Lol.

14. January 9, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Just a terse summary of Christie’s day ….

And, let’s all do our part to ensure the Justice Dept and Homeland Security folk know that we want Christie’s domestic terrorism thoroughly investigated ….

Yes We Can

15. 47 globalcitizenlinda
    January 9, 2014 at 9:54 pm

UT,

I know that you, Ms Chips and the other “blog tyrants” are already carrying a heavy load maintaining this site so brilliantly;

However, since you have put together a number of different portions clarifying and advocating for ObamaCare, I am asking you to please, please, consider putting together another portion of Obamacare that has not received enough attention (in my judgment);

Once you have put this together then it makes it easier for us to share it around;

The portion I am talking about is HOW obamacare (ACA – Affordable Care Act) changes the options for former prisoners and has the potential to provide and incentive to stay out jail and also reduces prison costs;

The role of Obamacare in reducing the rotating re-entry and health of former prisoners is as VP Joe would say a BFD;

We need to add this to things we “shout from the rooftops “ and thanks President Obama, his team and Dems for making happen;

I can’t find the audio of this report from NPR so if you can find it, I will be very grateful;

I heard part of this report on NPR a few days ago (may be Monday or last week); If I am not mistaken the report was done jointly with Kaiser Health News

Source: http://www.kaiserhealthnews.org/Daily-Report.aspx?reportdate=1-2-2014

The California Health Report: Parolees, Corrections To Benefit From ACA
    Recent parolees, a population in dire in need of improved medical care, could be among those poised to benefit most from the Affordable Care Act come Jan. 1. The full implications of how the law will affect this population are still hazy, as officials across all fields of corrections prepare for the changes. It is clear, however, that parolees are among those with a high rate of health concerns and are likely to fall into the categories qualifying for assistance under the new law. Roughly 1,000 inmates are released from California prisons each month. Many return to their communities and struggle to access health care or coverage for it (Wyman, 12/24/13).
    Earlier, related KHN coverage: Medicaid Expansion To Cover Many Former Prisoners (Gugliotta, 12/4/13).

Another interesting paper about this is:

“The Affordable Care Act and Criminal Justice : Intersections and Implications
    Source : https://www.bja.gov/Publications/ACA-CJ_WhitePaper.pdf

If you are aware of other sources of information about this then please share it;

If to other people want to contribute to this then please help out our already busy TOD Team.

As an aside, during enrollment for our state, one of the questions the Obamacare phone team asks is if anyone in the household has been in incarcerated;

It may also be of interest to some to know that the when the right-wing governor of Ohio was considering whether or not to allow Medicaid Expansion as part of Obamacare, a key persuasive arguments for him was ACA’s potential to reduce medical cost of prisoners (a gain in the budget which they state gop is pushing now to be used for – you guessed it a tax cut).

thanks in advance to all who are going to help highlight this exceptional feature of Obamacare

• 48 utaustinliberal
      January 9, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Hi Linda, thanks for the suggestion. If you have any more links that can help me (as I also seek out other sources on my own) in the direction of your proposal, then please feel free to alert me.

16. January 9, 2014 at 9:57 pm

The missus is at work, the dog is on the couch, I have rugby on my big screen, and a rum gimlet in my hand. Life is good.

17. 51 globalcitizenlinda
    January 9, 2014 at 10:04 pm

this is a great post for women and Obamacare – has to be shared with my network.

UT, thanks a lot for this and many others

18. 52 99ts
    January 9, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Ms Rachel and staff been working hard today – not sure there would be any immunity to anyone if Gov Christie’s right hand man becomes the man responsible for a legal investigation. Christie would want no-one to get immunity

19. January 9, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Lawrence O’Donnell is not letting that liar Christie off the hook

20. 54 Lynn
    January 9, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I soooo wish I had the inner strength and dignity of our President.

Thrilled am I to be living in the age of President Obama and grateful I am for
    Black Water Dog.

To SweetLadyChips and Crown Prince Danny……….my eternal thanks for
    this sanctuary.

To UT and all BT’s…You are treasures!!

I have but one wish……….may this site continue to follow President Obama
    beyond Jan. ’17.

Please!!!

21. 60 yardarm756
    January 9, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Climate change?

22. January 9, 2014 at 10:13 pm

US Senate Summary – 9 Jan 2014:

Roll Call Votes

1) Ayotte motion to table the Reid motion to commit S.1845, the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act; Not Tabled: 42-54

2) Reid motion to proceed to the motion to reconsider the cloture vote by which cloture was not invoked on Executive Calendar #381, the nomination of Robert Leon Wilkins, of the District of Columbia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the District of Columbia; Agreed to: 53-41

3) Reid motion to reconsider the vote by which the motion to invoke cloture on Executive Calendar #381, the nomination of Robert Leon Wilkins, of the District of Columbia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the District of Columbia; Agreed to: 54-40

4) Motion to invoke cloture on Executive Calendar #381, the nomination of Robert Leon Wilkins, of the District of Columbia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the District of Columbia, upon reconsideration; Invoked: 55-38-1

Plan for Monday – 13 Jan 2014:

The Senate stands adjourned until 2:00pm on Monday, January 13, 2014. Following any Leader remarks, the Senate will resume consideration of S.1845, the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act.

During Thursday’s session of the Senate, cloture was filed on S.1845 and the Reed amendment #2631. As a result, the filing deadline for all first degree amendments to S.1845 is 3:00pm Monday and the filing deadline for all second degree amendments to the Reed amendment #2631 is 4:30pm Monday.

At 5:00pm, the Senate will resume Executive Session to consider Executive Calendar #381, the nomination of Robert Leon Wilkins, of the District of Columbia, to be United States Circuit Judge for the District of Columbia with the time until 5:30pm equally divided and controlled in the usual form.

At 5:30pm, there will be at least 2 roll call votes:

– Confirmation of the Wilkins nomination and

– Motion to invoke cloture on the Reed amendment #2631 to S.1845.

===========

So, dear HZ – Robert Wilkins does indeed get his vote on Monday!!!!!

Yes We Can

• January 9, 2014 at 10:16 pm

• 67 amk for obama
      January 9, 2014 at 10:20 pm

My head is spinning reading all that gobbledygook.

“motion to proceed to the motion to reconsider the cloture vote by which cloture was not invoked on Executive Calendar #381″

what the frack ???

• 68 99ts
        January 9, 2014 at 10:37 pm

We live in a different world amk – the US Senate is 17 different PHDs to understand. I still don’t understand how the Majority leader can talk to himself on the senate floor and pass much government business

January 10, 2014 at 12:16 am

Ha! He’s talking to the record! It all goes in the Congressional Record forevermore!

• 70 99ts
            January 10, 2014 at 1:07 am

It’s still weird to those outside of the understanding JoB :) I saw a video of same – no doubt on TOD – and will wonder forever. Folks don’t talk to themselves on the floor of our parliament – if they want something in the record there has to be a quorum of people around to listen. (well – to pretend they are listening – in the old days they used to read the newspaper – now they have i-phones and i-pads to distract them :) )

January 10, 2014 at 1:48 am

Too tired to think much, but I’m pretty sure we have to have a quorum, too, to be in session. It is hysterical that sometimes the more junior members only get to talk to an “empty” chamber, especially late in the day, to get something on record. Why C-Span cameras are so much fun!

• 72 Lynn
        January 9, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Forty years of derp and lazy, amk.

• January 9, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Let me assist you in halting the head rotations ;)

Wilkins gets his nomination approval vote on Monday; and, they’ll either get 60 votes to end debate (cloture) on Reed’s UI Extension bill on Monday so that the legislation can then be voted — or, my prediction is that Reid will go totally nuclear, i.e., invoking cloture of debate on legislation will become a simple majority not, 60 votes as is currently the case.

I think Senator Reid has reached the ‘tipping point’ regarding McConnell et al., continuing to obstruct. Moreover, by now he must know beyond any doubt that should the Republicans ever gain majority control of the Senate they will kill any attempt by the minority to block votes via a 60 vote requirement to end debate.

• January 9, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated, Dr. Bob.

Such a busy week.

And I’m so thrilled that Gabby Giffords grueling physical therapy is paying off for her now.

• 80 HZ
      January 10, 2014 at 12:23 am

Bobfr, Bobfr, you are the best!!! Thank you so much for this summary. Yes, Judge Wilkins will get his vote. I love watching and listening, but when I cannot hear to well, I do fall a little behind. However, I know that my TOD brilliant family will help me.

((((((( TY, Bobfr)))))))))HZ

23. January 9, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Christie Bridgegate is entertaining, but it’s gonna take awhile to play out.

Remember that the Watergate break-in happened on June 17, 1972 and Nixon was re-elected in November. (I have that date etched in my memory because I was at a Grateful Dead concert at Dodger stadium college friends, including Haldeman’s son).

I was stunned that voters re-elected Nixon even after that happened in early summer — yes, it was covered by the media, but the public chose to ignore it.

With all the legal battles pending, Christie will be on the hot seat for months, if not years and the MSM will be happily distracted from doing any real work.

I said on the last thread that it’s completely unbelievable that a young staffer would do something as drastic as impeding traffic on the world’s busiest bridge and not think that maybe she should bounce that idea off someone else before doing so. Don’t wanna get all Sopranos here (never saw the show, only have basic cable), but I’m concerned about her safety and well-being.

Here’s some tweet fact-checking/Christie privilege from today’s 90 minute (!) press conference:

24. January 9, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Very nervous about the Sochi Olympics.

Baby boomers remember the 1968 Mexico City Olympics where many students were killed by police, 1972 Munich when 11 Israeli athletes were kidnapped and murdered (when people say Munich in my twitter timeline, that’s the first thing I think of not, the Chamberlain “Peace in our Time” fiasco).

Hoping for a peaceful and uneventful event.

25. January 9, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Snowdenwald stole 1.7million documents.

I’ve been thinking about why the overwhelming majority of Snowdenwald emoputin supporters are white males, and I think they must have a superhero complex. They all imagine themselves in the role of the cyber avenger.

Wish they had the ability to view Snowdenwald’s actions in a historical context.

26. 89 yardarm756
    January 9, 2014 at 10:54 pm

The link to the RM show was dynamite. http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show

• 90 99ts
      January 9, 2014 at 11:22 pm

I missed the start – thanks yardarm. Seems none of the reporters were listening to Christie – do they ever listen

He actually said (I’m paraphrasing” – the Mayor did nothing to deserve retribution (so why did anyone on his staff need to do this) !!!
      So in other words – ny question – did some other people receive “justified retribution”?

Guess I am naive – I never thought politics was this nasty – this reads worse than Watergate to me.

27. January 9, 2014 at 10:56 pm

28. January 9, 2014 at 11:10 pm

bbl … time to prepare some dinner … take care dear TOD friends :)

January 9, 2014 at 11:11 pm

• 95 cos
      January 9, 2014 at 11:19 pm

One of the reason why I live in CA amk. :)

• 96 4morefor44
      January 9, 2014 at 11:44 pm

jerry also cleaned up the $5 billion debt (IN 1970s MONEY!!) that another lame republican actor turned failed governor (reagan) left him back then. yet “the news” keeps promoting that repubslicans as fiscally responsible and democrats are not, which all data suggests is the exact opposite. this part is especially amazing:

“California’s financial turnaround is due in large part to temporary increases in the state sales tax and income taxes for the wealthy that were approved by voters in 2012. Combined, those tax increases are expected to generate about $6 billion a year.

The state also has been adding jobs at one of the fastest rates in the nation since the recovery from the recession began, led by the technology sector.”

so as taxes go up, jobs are added. exactly the opposite of another frequent republican talking point which morans such as chuck todd repeat constantly. if we had actual journalism anymore in the major media, republicans would become a 3rd party.

January 9, 2014 at 11:17 pm

January 9, 2014 at 11:20 pm

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!! I haven’t seen Maddow in forever but my timeline was blowing up, so I went online and watched the video. OMG. If New Jersey reporters investigate and find any legs, Chris Christie will be in so much trouble.

• 99 99ts
      January 9, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Christie only retaliates when it is justified – his words! – “I never saw this as political retribution – because i never thought he did anything to us”

mind boggling – unreal – to me this is an admission that retribution is given when people “do something to us”

So much for those in depth questions from the media – who was left to follow this up!

32. 101 dotster3
    January 9, 2014 at 11:21 pm

January 9, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Damn.

34. 103 Lynn
    January 9, 2014 at 11:27 pm

Please forgive me for going to the physical….BUT

Why are they all mean, nasty, pastey-faced pudgy+ugly inside and out slugs?

We have the lovely/elegant talented and accomplished First Family.

Perhaps the gov of N.J. has done our country a favor. Other countries have seen what
    an “ugly American’ is ………..on the inside.

January 9, 2014 at 11:44 pm