Jan

A tweet or two – West Virginia chemical spill

90 Responses to “A tweet or two – West Virginia chemical spill”

1. 1 Ladyhawke
    January 11, 2014 at 3:02 pm

FEMA Region 3 Has Been Activated: Emergency Situation Breaking In West Virginia

By Josey Wales

———————————-

State of Emergency: EMERGENCY SITUATION BREAKING IN WEST VIRGINIA

Many Reports are coming in to Sentinel Command of massive fighting breaking loose in West Virginia over Bottled water as the Chemical Spill Situation continues.

As predicted, Fema Region 3 has now been activated, National Guard has also been been called out as this area in West Virginia has been declared a state of emergency. This chemical spill is now affecting 9 counties and over 100,000 residents are directly affected.

All water in the area has been contaminated with the chemical (4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol), a chemical used in the coal industry. This chemical will make a person sick but it is not deadly unless ingested in huge quantity.

————————————————-

2. 4 Ladyhawke
    January 11, 2014 at 3:08 pm

PHOTOS: What It Looks Like When A Massive Chemical Spill Contaminates The Water Supply

3. January 11, 2014 at 3:15 pm
  4. January 11, 2014 at 3:26 pm

Ladyhawke,

Reports of “massive fighting” over scarce water does not surprise me.

Aside from the astonishing cataclysm itself, what amazed me most after the after the March 2011 Japan earthquake/tsunami was the response of the Japanese people, and their well-dressed, well-behaved children.

I no have photos from that event, but those little children, many wear adorable hats was heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time.

American criticize the Japanese for being “sheep-like,” but I was influenced by Bruce Feiler’s book from the early 1990s, “Learning to Bow,” which opens with his getting a lecture from a grandmotherly Japanese woman about why the Japanese culture reveres order and obeying laws — because they live in confined spaces, islands isolated by the ocean and mountainous terrain means that for them to survive against their aggressive mainland enemies they had to place the needs of the community foremost.

Sadly, America is all about individualism, aka “it’s all about ME!”

5. January 11, 2014 at 3:31 pm

LL,

Saw that you’ve switched to rum, which is too bad. (I don’t drink very often, but when I do, it’s almost always either a (gin) martini or gin and tonic for me. This looks like fun…

• January 11, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Well, let me explain.

I”m still a gin partisan. BUT, for NYE I decided to make pitchers of mojitos. I grossly overestimated how much rum I’d need. So, my liquor cabinet is lousy with the stuff now. Therefor, I’m slowly drinking it down.

6. 9 globalcitizenlinda
    January 11, 2014 at 3:31 pm
  7. 10 Ladyhawke
    January 11, 2014 at 3:36 pm

FEMA Continues to Support Response Efforts in West Virginia Residents Urged to Continue Following Guidance from Local Officials

Release date: JANUARY 11, 2014
    Release Number: R3-14-02

——————————

PHILADELPHIA – The Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), through its regional office in Philadelphia, Pa. and on site in Charleston, W.Va., continues to work in close coordination with the West Virginia Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management to support state and local efforts to ensure public health and safety, in response to emergency conditions resulting from a chemical spill in Charleston on Thursday.

At the request of the state, FEMA is continuing to provide supplies to a regional staging area in Charleston. As of Saturday, FEMA has delivered approximately 1 million liters of water from its distribution centers in Cumberland and Frederick, Maryland, to the area for use by the state. FEMA will continue to deliver supplies to the state for distribution, as needed and request.

———————————————–

Read more here …….

8. January 11, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Okay. I give up. I have tried every link on both previous threads and went to the UP w/SK site and nothing anywhere. It always says “your video is loading” but it will not play. I get nothing. :(

• 12 Ladyhawke
      January 11, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I have had that problem before with the maddowblog site where you get the loading message and the video never comes on. But just now I clicked on the maddowblog, selected WATCH, then selected UP and the ad starts followed by the SK segment on Chris Christie. Try that and see if it works for you.

• January 11, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Thanks, lh. Am on maddowblog but am not finding WATCH. I have UP DVR’d so can watch tomorrow, but wanted to be able to see it today if possible. No biggie…….just my patience. :)

• 14 Ladyhawke
          January 11, 2014 at 4:27 pm

ok, no problem. One last thing ….WATCH is at the very top of the screen under MSNBC. You should see EXPLORE, WATCH, JOIN IN, SPEAK OUT. Personally, I find the new maddowblog website a bit glitchy and not very user friendly. Anyway, you have the DVR set up so let’s see what SK has to say tomorrow morning. The Chris Christie scandal is like peeling an onion.

• 15 globalcitizenlinda
      January 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm

give the videos on the MSNBC websites a few minutes after you click on one – takes a few min to load commercial or to transition from the commercial but eventually it does start playing the content you have selected.

I pointed this out to Richard wolfe who was touting the new website and he responded directly to my tweet saying that thanks for letting them know and they will work to resolve this issue

9. January 11, 2014 at 3:52 pm

More reasons to hate Dallas.

I really like the western and southern Texas cities and towns I’ve been to, thinking of Houston and San Antonio in particular, never been to Austin, which UTA assures us is the most awesome place in the world, but Dallas has given us this unbelievable act of hubris.

And this (reminder):

I know that Carolyn will agree with me, since she’s reading a book about JFK and Dallas that provides the Confederate history and KKK roots of that city.

• 17 carolyn
      January 11, 2014 at 5:04 pm

I hate to say it, because my son and family live in an eastern suburb of Dallas (not wealthy) but nothing I hear about the Dallas wealthy surprises me. They are awful!!!!!

Still reading the book: Dallas, 1963, and my husband is reading it too. Both of us say we can’t read it right before we go to bed…..nightmares! I’m up to November 1963, and can hardly get my courage up to read it. I will…….it is riveting.
      This fight with the generals over control is not new. After the Bay of Pigs disaster……..for which JFK followed the generals’ advice…..he pretty well told them where to go, that he was CIC, and the civilian had authority over the military.

Follow this trail through the last sixty years……LBJ gave in to the generals……..Nixon let no one have authority over him……..skip to Reagan, he wanted to prove his machismo, so let the generals talk him into “invading” Grenada!!! then let the Marine guards die in Beirut…..was beholden to the generals…..GHW Bush, followed the generals for a while, but did not go to Baghdad, they wanted to. Clinton was afraid to look “weak” so let the MIC run away, then of course there’s GWB!!! The MIC had not been thwarted since JFK until PBO, and they are not happy.

The president is reasserting the authority of the civilian over the military, which he has to do so we don’t have a Koch sponsored military coup d’état.

10. 18 Ladyhawke
    January 11, 2014 at 3:57 pm

pourmecoffee ‏@pourmecoffee 4h

——————————-

Reminder: bashing the EPA was a theme of GOP candidates

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/us/politics/18epa.html?_r=0 … pic.twitter.com/J8NwBUWXwq

———————————————

11. 19 jackiegrumbacher
    January 11, 2014 at 4:01 pm

One more point on West Virginia. The state doesn’t just do coal, it’s a big farming area–cattle, dairy and truck farming. If contaminated water is used for cows and farming, that affects the food supply. I saw reports telling people not to let pets drink contaminated water, but what do you do with cattle and dairy cows who consume gallons of it? And how does that affect meat and milk and vegetables?

• 20 susanne
      January 11, 2014 at 4:54 pm

i was wondering about that too. and also fish, and downstream effects and on and on. when you poison a river, you’ve poisoned everything it flows to.

12. 22 Linda
    January 11, 2014 at 4:05 pm

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday said it will hear a challenge to an Ohio law that forbids candidates and issue groups from making false campaign statements.

The case, involving an anti-abortion group’s claim that Ohio’s False Statement Law violates free speech, will likely be argued in April, with a ruling announced during the last months of the Supreme Court’s term in May or June.

“We are thrilled at the opportunity to have our arguments heard,” Marjorie Dannenfelser, president of the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony List, said in a press release Friday. “The Ohio Election Commission statute demonstrates complete disregard for the Constitutional right of citizens to criticize their elected officials.”

During the 2010 election cycle, Susan B. Anthony List accused then-Rep. Steven Driehaus (D-Ohio), who was running for reelection against Republican Steve Chabot, of endorsing taxpayer-funded abortions by voting for President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act.

Driehaus complained to the state election commission that the group’s proposed billboard ads saying, “Shame on Steve Driehaus! Driehaus voted FOR taxpayer-funded abortion,” were false, since federal law prohibits the use of taxpayer money for abortion funding. The state blocked the billboards.

Susan B. Anthony List and the Coalition Opposed to Additional Spending and Taxes responded with federal lawsuits arguing that Ohio’s False Statement Law violates the First Amendment. A federal court dismissed the lawsuits in 2011, and an appeals court upheld the decision last year.

Driehaus was defeated for reelection in 2010 and lost a defamation lawsuit against Susan B. Anthony List in 2013.

13. 26 globalcitizenlinda
    January 11, 2014 at 4:19 pm
    • 27 Nena20409
      January 11, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I see the reasoning behind this tweet, but frankly, the contamination of the Elk River was Not done by the gov’t, a Dem or pres Obama. I wish folks would not trap themselves into the TBGOPers’ MO…..by always attaching pres Obama’s name to any negativity and memes they falsely dream of as their political propaganda games slowly drive them insane..

14. January 11, 2014 at 4:24 pm

Important bit of history that booman noted earlier today (link in tweet):

15. 29 donna dem 4 obama
    January 11, 2014 at 4:26 pm

THIS!!

16. 30 donna dem 4 obama
    January 11, 2014 at 4:27 pm
    • January 11, 2014 at 5:58 pm

When I saw how Christie speaks to those asking questions he does not like I knew right away we never need a person like that representing us with other leaders of the world. He has a problem and cannot be trusted to act civilly or respectfully.

17. 32 globalcitizenlinda
    January 11, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Don and Doster here have previously alluded to the speculation that there may be another story that the media may not be focused on – personal relationships in the christie’s office;

I have nothing to prove anything fish; but looking at these photos of Ms. Bridget Anne Kelly with Christie remind me of Patreaus and his known “side piece” (the mistress whose jealousy contributed to a fast end to his career as CIA boss)

18. January 11, 2014 at 4:31 pm

The WTF expression on her face is priceless. Confused little girl meets her fathers twin for the first time. The WTF expression on her face is priceless

19. 43 MightyPamela
    January 11, 2014 at 4:45 pm

This WV disaster is grim. I woke up thinking about the Polar Vortex, and climate change overall, which is not new, and we have seen progressively worsening for decades. The main thought I had is that if this current ‘extreme’ is considered bad enough, and climate change deniers continue their braying and attempts to convince otherwise, just try to imagine what will happen when the Antarctic Region begins to respond. Just try to imagine.

20. January 11, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Does anyone watch Grimm?

I was just thinking before last night’s episode..

” How come there aren’t any Black Vescen?”

And there they were, some Black Vescen.

I felt so bad for Hank…..first, he gets poisoned and nearly killed by Adalind Schade, and now, he’s got a crush on a Vescen…but, I have hope for him and the Vescen.

• 45 mtmarilyn
      January 11, 2014 at 9:34 pm

We watch Grimm, too. I also had wondered about there being no black or other ethnic vescens. I sure hope they give Hank a chance for some love. I don’t like the Dracula shows but I do like Grimm.

21. 46 Nena20409
    January 11, 2014 at 5:03 pm

photo/1

22. 47 Linda
    January 11, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Erin Brochovich needs to deliver some Elk River water to Joe Manchin.

23. 48 globalcitizenlinda
    January 11, 2014 at 5:12 pm

what little I know about waterways and water flow patterns is that there is no totally closed water system – water in one area eventually flows into another water reservoirs;

so while we worry deeply about WV and the residents who are affected, we must also consider the impact of this toxicity on other neighboring states;

I happen to live in a state that borders WV – about two hours away to the border town – so I am keeping a keen eye on the developments of this story;

it is a reminder that when one area declares its “right to pollute and disobey EPA regulations”, it also has an adverse impact on other areas that choose to comply with rules and regulations of the commons;

• 49 MightyPamela
      January 11, 2014 at 5:48 pm

“Silent Spring”, by Rachel Carson. Old story, she was badly mistreated for speaking out, and had the credentials to prove her study. Her words have echoed in many of our hearts ever since. She was right. Not just reservoirs we are speaking of, all ground water flows to the seas, eventually. The Earth is a closed system, air, water, animals, plants, humans, we are all connected in our basic needs. No matter what continent, no matter our heritage. I pray we will wake up now, and act quickly. It may not be too late. But it may be.

24. 50 globalcitizenlinda
    January 11, 2014 at 5:22 pm
  25. 51 globalcitizenlinda
    January 11, 2014 at 5:31 pm
  26. January 11, 2014 at 5:36 pm

ladyhawke, If you see this–I used my iPad which has Safari and no problems. Video came right up. Should have thought of that sooner. Oh well…….Thanks for your suggestion.

27. 53 globalcitizenlinda
    January 11, 2014 at 5:45 pm
  28. 54 globalcitizenlinda
    January 11, 2014 at 5:52 pm
  29. 55 africa
    January 11, 2014 at 6:04 pm
  30. January 11, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Unbelievable. The founders and executives of Freedom Industries have real sketchy pasts—–convictions for $200,000 tax evasion, selling cocaine, business licenses revoked etc. It is a tragedy what they have done to the people and the environment there, for which they have responsibility. The whole thing sounds like a real schlock operation.

January 11, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Unfortunately, some of these industries, it’s been said – such as the coal and chemical industries – do what they do because they buy off the local politicians and boards and are perfectly willing to count fines and law suits as part of “the cost of doing business.” Profit driven, never driven by any responsibility to local, state, or regional communities where – you know – people live.

31. 60 dotster3
    January 11, 2014 at 6:29 pm
  32. January 11, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I’m not sure why, but I’m not able to retweet directly from tweets in comments. I thought maybe I needed to sign in, but that didn’t help. I can right click and open it in a new tab and it works then so it’s not holding me up. This article by Robert Reich on Bill Moyer’s site is saying that the poor and middle class are in the same boat now and the GOP can’t divide them by making them fear each other. We will do well to keep hammering these themes and shine the light on who is doing it.

….Which means Republican opposition to extended unemployment insurance, food stamps, jobs programs and a higher minimum wage pose a real danger of backfiring on the GOP.

Just look at North Carolina, a bellwether state, where Democratic Senator Kay Hagan, up for re-election, is doing well by attacking Republicans back home as “irresponsible and cold-hearted” for slashing unemployment benefits and social services….

33. 63 dotster3
    January 11, 2014 at 6:33 pm
  34. January 11, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Rick Hasen is a Professor of Law and Political Science at UC Irvine; Election Law Blogger.

?refsrc=email

35. 66 africa
    January 11, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Ron Fournier can’t help himself.

36. January 11, 2014 at 6:44 pm
  37. 69 forus50
    January 11, 2014 at 6:48 pm
    • January 11, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Cory Booker is turning out NOT to be the person we thought he was. He is NO Barack Obama and probably more hawkish like Hillary Clinton. I think CB is more show than substance.

• 71 nospin
        January 12, 2014 at 6:40 am

I always say Booker as an “odd” duck. Didn’t trust him. He has personal issues that he needs to work out.

38. January 11, 2014 at 6:50 pm
  39. 73 donna dem 4 obama
    January 11, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Stuffs hitting the fan!!

40. 74 dotster3
    January 11, 2014 at 6:52 pm

What a disaster—-and this sounds like it’s going to be a long time before the “do not use” water order is lifted. And would you feel confident to drink a big glass of water when it is? Or—-take a shower—–or wash your clothes—–or clean your kitchen and bathrooms— or wash your fruit and vegetables etc. etc. etc.

41. January 11, 2014 at 6:54 pm
  42. January 11, 2014 at 6:56 pm
    • January 11, 2014 at 7:04 pm

BTW, Peter Maer’s tweets seem to be factual and positive about President Obama. I just found him a little while ago. He’s a CBS News White House Correspondent. Reports for CBS News/Radio and http://cbsnews.com .

• 78 nospin
      January 12, 2014 at 6:44 am

I hope my President and the EPA will use this opportunity to highlight the valuable work of the EPA and how it correlates directly to this specific situation in WVA. It would help folks fully understand the impact of lack of basic regulations and oversight to the results in the economy, health and environment.

43. 79 globalcitizenlinda
    January 11, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I didn’t know this!

this is disgusting! lying ryan and his lobbyist, US Postal Service-destroying wife;

44. 80 forus50
    January 11, 2014 at 7:00 pm
    January 11, 2014 at 7:04 pm
  46. January 11, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Tnmtngirl, you asked a Q about prescription prices for medicare and I answered you. Did you read the answer? I’ll see if I can find it if you are still looking for an answer. Short answer, I don’t think it’s ObamaCare.

January 11, 2014 at 7:11 pm
  48. 84 africa
    January 11, 2014 at 7:27 pm
  49. 85 forus50
    January 11, 2014 at 7:39 pm
  50. 86 Ladyhawke
    January 11, 2014 at 7:47 pm

GOP CROCODILE TEARS FOR THE POOR

Petrified of Obama, Republicans Panick to Cover Up Their Hostility to the Poor

by Spandan Chakrabarti

————————————————

To appear concerned for the poor, Republicans have picked their tool of choice: the same tool that has helped them disenfranchise poor and minority voters: turn it over to the states. Their basic argument comes down to this: cancel the federal programs for poverty reduction, and turn the money over to the states in bloc grants.
    Of course, all the Republican crocodile tears for the poor come from the realization that President Obama and the Democrats plan on using their plain disdain for the poor against them as the country gets ready to vote in the midterms.

———————————————-

51. January 11, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Hope this isn’t a duplicate:

52. 88 globalcitizenlinda