Jan

The Wolfpack Welcomes The President

f63a74b720c50202490f6a706700cc4c

President Barack Obama speaks about the economy, jobs, and manufacturing at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, N.C.

bbec360620b50202490f6a7067009e6f_original

OBAMA-JOBS

59bc671420b50202490f6a7067005fdd

OBAMA-JOBS

2014-01-15T190452Z_705054731_GM1EA1G08H401_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

President Barack Obama’s visit is aimed at drawing attention to a manufacturing initiative he promised last year at his State of the Union Address, to identify hubs linking ground-breaking research with businesses that could use the innovation commercially.

836694e720810102490f6a7067009ee5

President Barack Obama tours Vacon, a research and development center and lab for high-power AC drives, with Vacon Vice President Dan Isaksson, left, and Vacon engineer Rod Washington, right, in Durham, N.C.

OBAMA-JOBS

3f09f22e20860102490f6a7067003a88_original

OBAMA-JOBS

2014-01-15T174847Z_895671438_GM1EA1G03NS01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

President Barack Obama walks with Vacon’s Dan Isaksson as he tours Vacon, a company that manufactures AC drives

OBAMA-JOBS

2014-01-15T172305Z_2089223228_GM1EA1G03RZ01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

2014-01-15T173246Z_835196011_GM1EA1G045X01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

President Barack Obama listens to engineer Rod Washington as he tours Vacon, a company that manufactures AC drives. At right is Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz.

OBAMA-JOBS

2014-01-15T185839Z_1021836489_GM1EA1G087801_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

136 Responses to “The Wolfpack Welcomes The President”

1. 6 No Child Left Behind
    January 15, 2014 at 5:44 pm

First?

2. 7 No Child Left Behind
    January 15, 2014 at 5:45 pm

UT, thanks for the lovely pictures.

3. 8 GGail
    January 15, 2014 at 5:52 pm

Great pictures UT!

I can feel the enthusiasm of those people – why? because I’ve been one of them! WOOT!!!

4. 13 yardarm756
    January 15, 2014 at 6:02 pm

From the end of the last thread.
    ICYMI. Look for your costs to access and use the internet to go up in the near future.

5. 15 dotster3
    January 15, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Can Joy Reid take over the Ed slot please? She’s a billion times smarter and knows the priorities. Ed is close to telling people not to vote in the midterms again. Whatever his personal gripes, and even tho he is a fishing enthusiast, he does not realize there is a time to fish and a time to dry nets. It is critical to know when it is time to shut your mouth for the greater good——too much is at stake.

• 16 sabreen60
      January 15, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Hello TODers.

dotster, I turned on the TV and the first person I saw on Ed’s show was former Montana Gov Schweiter. I had already read this:

“Schweitzer also had plenty of criticism for the Democratic Party’s current standard-bearer. Asked to name a single positive achievement by Obama, Schweitzer thought for some time.

“My mother, God rest her soul, told me ‘Brian, if you can’t think of something nice to say about something, change the subject,’” Schweitzer said, criticizing the National Security Agency surveillance, Obamacare and overall competency in the administration.

“They just haven’t been very good at running things,” he said.

He credited Obama with the historical significance of being the first black president.

• 17 joyfulmeme
        January 15, 2014 at 7:52 pm

With crap like that, he stands a chance of Democrats turning against him. I’m already disgusted with the Dems’ whining about everything. They need to grow a backbone. I will not donate a dime until they do. They just let the Republicans bully them into submission.

• 18 Linda
      January 15, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I cannot stomach him….

Today he blamed the Dems for the UI stall and he went after PBO again for the Trade Partnership……

• 19 carolyn
      January 15, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Everyone who listens to Ed needs to email him or contact him in some way. We don’t even bother to turn his show on….my husband did once, and he was just yelling, so click.

I emailed the DNC, the DSCC expressing my disgust at weak kneed Democrats, and telling them to stop griping and get their acts together and be preemptive in getting ads and info out. I told them I was also disgusted that they made the president do all the heavy lifting, that they all should have been supporting the ACA loudly for three years. I also said there are many people here in flyover country who feel the same way.
      I wrote OFA, and gave them the suggestion also to get out in front of the Koch brothers, but to tell the country what a Koch ruled land would look like….i.e. West Virginia. I have already received response from OFA thanking me.
      Both the DSCC and DNC are concerned with getting their people re-elected, and I think these are two good places to make our feelings known.

• January 15, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I had not watched Ed for a long time and caught some of his show today. Not sure what the Pacific Trade deal involves, but got that Ed was adamant about not wanting it and saying PBO does want it. Can anyone fill me in in it as I got mad at what I heard and turned it off?

6. 22 Anjo
    January 15, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Third, I think, how is everyone doing have a great evening

7. 25 yardarm756
    January 15, 2014 at 6:23 pm

A bit o’ comedy from the BBC. It’s a bit adult rated but hilarious. Enjoy. :lol:

8. 40 GGail
    January 15, 2014 at 6:25 pm

What’s wrong with me people? I can’t tell a lie….I’m lusting after our President!!!!
    I’m undressing POTUS with my eyes (it’s the tie – where it hits his belt/waistline) :lol:

9. 49 arapaho415
    January 15, 2014 at 6:30 pm

To LL’s point on the previous thread.

PBO had to rush back to DC to give the Senate Dems a sit-down on “country first” to borrow a phrase from McCain.

I’m disappointed that PBO wasn’t able to get some NC ‘cue while in the state. (Never had NC BBQ, but the best BBQ I’ve had was in Roanoke VA, so I know that region knows their ‘cue.)

Also, Nena, thanks for the cute video of PBO with the baby on the previous thread. Love the excitement of the parents and how easy-going the baby was.

And this… as I recall, NH House has a crazy number of state reps, in the hundreds, for a tiny state:

10. 51 Elly in Maryland
    January 15, 2014 at 6:31 pm

From the previous thread, thanks for the heads-up about Schweitzer. I used to see him as an intriguing guy, but he’s forever on my shit list if he keeps criticizing our President. Super a-hole. It’s not even a smart political move, because among Democratic primary voters, there are enough true-blue Obama supporters who would never support someone with this history if he keeps it up. I guess he thinks he can take on Hillary. If he’s the main opposition for the primary, Ironically, it could make those who don’t trust Hillary take more kindly to her because he’s so awful.

• 52 arapaho415
      January 15, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Dems need to nominate a true progressive (not a fire-bagger emoPutin) such as VP Biden, Martin O’Malley or Elizabeth Warren.

Not anyone that a PUMA supports. They were so destructive in 2008, and the problems that can’t be laid at the doorstep of GWBush can be laid at WJC’s — just unfathomable that he endorsed the repeal of Glass-Steagal, less than 10 years after the Savings and Loan bailout that was the primary news driver before the first Gulf War.

11. 53 Nena20409
    January 15, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Per MediaMatters and reported by Mediaite…..Listen to the tape.

It was None other than Ed Fox Henry who was Using Violence and avoided the Word Terror. Np wonder Ed Henry even yesterday at the WH Jay’s presser was still talking about the Use of an Act Of terror. These people are Not Humans.

• 54 Layla
      January 15, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Is there a reason why Jay has to call on the same 4 idiots..after all there are many other reporters in the room!

• 55 Nena20409
        January 15, 2014 at 6:55 pm

WHPC made the rules for how they get called up for questions. It started decades ago. AP get it first then the usual. Jay does on some occasions, tries to mix it up. One time, Chip Reeds of CBS went off on Jay for daring to try to mix things up.

When the POTUS comes out, he doesn’t have to do it that way. Remember when he didn’t call any of the usual line-up? They all went after Jay and they intensified their wickedness with the Charge of “propaganda” using WH Photos as excuses. Demanding access.

12. 57 arapaho415
    January 15, 2014 at 6:41 pm

This is so true.

I’ve seen the comments posted here about Morning Joe by Cindy, 99ts and others and did catch a quick glimpse of his show yesterday. Could not believe that his support of Christie was to bring up the Obama non-scandals… Benghazi, IRS and the AP leaks.

The media really has no basis for comparing the clear abuse of power in NJ to how PBO bends over backwards to meet his commitments and respond to the slightest misstep by his thousands of employees.

13. 58 arapaho415
    January 15, 2014 at 6:46 pm

• 59 Nena20409
      January 15, 2014 at 7:20 pm

It is still amazing what The Pilot and Co did yrs ago. Incredible stuff. No one died. Awesome.

• 60 arapaho415
        January 15, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Couldn’t agree with you more, Nena.

I wasn’t on twitter then, but saw the reports on the Internet.

Thank God for Capt. Sullenberger!

And it was freezing cold for the survivors. Kudos to those boats and ships on the Hudson who quickly came to their rescue.

And this happened just before PBO’s first inaugural. I remember thinking, this is a sign from the higher power that we really have turned the page from the horrendous GW Bush administration.

14. 61 JER
    January 15, 2014 at 6:53 pm

• 62 Nena20409
      January 15, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Pray Tell? How is this poll by NBC poll even possible? Something smells at the Plaza In NYC at the NBC studio.

15. 63 anniebella
    January 15, 2014 at 6:54 pm

I really want to see that movie FLOTUS was talking about today, the Inevitable Defeat of Mister and Pete.

16. 67 Linda
    January 15, 2014 at 7:09 pm

WASHINGTON (AP) — Rep. Howard “Buck” McKeon,- R CA the chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, has decided to retire after 11 terms.

17. January 15, 2014 at 7:16 pm

18. 71 GGail
    January 15, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Attention TOD
    The DNC wants to hear from you! I received this email today and I’m sharing it. So go for it!!!

“I’ve been working at the Democratic National Committee for two weeks, and I’m already picking up some pretty important details. I’m not just talking about where to get the best cup of coffee or how to find the printer (though those are important things to know).

I’ve been looking through staffing plans and strategy memos, I’ve been sitting down with department heads, and poring through the budget.

Here’s what I learned: This is an organization that’s ready to win.

Now I’m asking you: How do you want to build a successful Democratic Party not just for today, but for the next generation?

What matters to you?

I’ve worked on campaigns ever since my dad ran for school board when I was eight, and I’ve always loved it. But I also know how easy it is to get tunnel vision — there’s always the temptation to focus on the immediate and forget to plan ahead for our future. At the DNC in particular, that would be a huge mistake.

Most campaigns and committees don’t get to play the long game, but we do. We’re building a bench of future leaders now, so that we have strong candidates to run for office — from president to Congress to city council — in two years and 20 years down the line.

So, are you with us? Let me know how you’d like to be involved:

All the best,

Amy

Amy K. Dacey
    Chief Executive Officer
    Democratic National Committee”

• 72 Layla
      January 15, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Nice words, now let’s see some action from the Democrats!

• 73 joyfulmeme
        January 15, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I got this as well. I’m pretty unhappy with the Congressional Democrats right now. They only have to run their small offices while the President has to run the country and they expect him to do their work. I’m so sick of them. They gripe that he doesn’t communicate with them enough. He speaks to the leadership. The Leadership needs to pass it down.

• 74 carolyn
          January 15, 2014 at 8:22 pm

I received that too and wrote back what I’ve been talking about here today…..get those Democratic Senators to stand up for the ACA, stick together, and stop sabotaging the President, and stop wringing their hands and being weak. Do some preemptive ads when they know Koch money is going to hit a state, don’t wait! Told her they should have been supporting the ACA WITH the president for the past three years, as it is the best thing since Medicare.
          I’d already written them, but loved this chance to say my piece! ALL of us need to answer this and make our voices heard loud and clear.

January 15, 2014 at 7:27 pm

/whispering/ I am baaaaaaaaack, (for 20 mins before I have to go chauffeuring again).

January 15, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Thirty-four US Air Force officers in charge of launching nuclear missiles have been suspended over accusations they cheated on proficiency tests.

The Air Force said a small number of staff had been texting answers to the routine tests to others, while others had known but failed to report it.

The ranks involved range from 2nd lieutenants to captains.

The cheating allegations emerged during investigations into alleged drug use by personnel at other bases.

Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James told a news conference the cheating involved officers based at the Malmstrom Air Force Base in Montana, and related to a monthly test all nuclear missile staff must take.

“Some officers did it,” she said of the cheating. “Others apparently knew about it, and it appears that they did nothing, or at least not enough, to stop it or to report it.”

Isn’t usaf full of bible thumping fundies?

• 77 carolyn
      January 15, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I’m thinking this poison started with Petraeus and McChrystal, and we’re seeing how it seeped down through the grades. I think discipline and standards were lowered during GWB’s admin, so they could get enough people in a volunteer force to go to Iraq and Afghan. We will probably see more of this kind of behavior until it is all cleaned out……it will take a while, like all the effects of GWB, Rummy and Cheney are taking a while to be worked out of the system.

• 78 amk for obama
        January 15, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Yup, dumbing down under dubya regime in all fronts would take a long time to clean up.

And the critters from both sides want another war with the present state of military rotten from the top to the bottom.

• 79 arapaho415
      January 15, 2014 at 8:51 pm

It seems like I hear nothing but bad news about the military now. Countless Generals and Admirals being fired/relieved of duty. The US really needs to rethink the sector that comprises the military and military contractors.

The nuclear segment of the military is a real mess, apparently. Too much time on their hands with nothing really to do.

Last Thursday:

Today:

January 15, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Can’t fix stupid. That’s a problem.

22. 87 Nena20409
    January 15, 2014 at 7:40 pm

Because We No Longer have a trusted News Media……Dems have their work harder as they Lack Communication Team to push their goals, accomplishments.

This Tweet is yet another example why TBGOPers Live in a world that the MSM and the rightie media echo chamber created.

23. 91 yardarm756
    January 15, 2014 at 8:35 pm

24. January 15, 2014 at 8:42 pm

25. 95 MightyPamela
    January 15, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Where we are, this lovely moon is rising visualed among the branches of a huge cedar tree ~ very excellent viewing!

January 15, 2014 at 8:49 pm

A judge on Wednesday upheld subsidies at the heart of President Barack Obama’s healthcare overhaul, rejecting one of the main legal challenges to the policy by conservatives opposed to an expansion of the federal government.

A ruling in favor of a lawsuit brought by individuals and businesses in Texas, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia would have crippled the implementation of the law by making health insurance unaffordable for many people.

In his ruling, U.S. District Judge Paul Friedman in Washington D.C. wrote that Congress clearly intended to make the subsidies available nationwide under the 2010 Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

“There is evidence throughout the statute of Congress’s desire to ensure broad access to affordable health coverage,” the judge wrote.

In 2012 the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a requirement of the law, commonly called Obamacare, that most Americans buy health insurance or pay a tax penalty.

The subsidies, in the form of tax credits, are available to people with annual incomes of up to 400 percent of the federal poverty level, or $94,200 for a family of four.

January 15, 2014 at 8:50 pm

January 15, 2014 at 8:55 pm

January 15, 2014 at 9:00 pm

30. 101 arapaho415
    January 15, 2014 at 9:02 pm

In keeping with LL’s theme today of spineless Dems…

The MSM wrote CA off as a lost cause as Schwarzenegger left office. Too much debt, too many people, not enough revenue.

What a difference a modest tax hike on just a fraction of the 1% has made:

From a week ago, when Gov Brown held a press conference that was overshadowed by the Christie fiasco (aka press conference) in NJ:

• 102 arapaho415
      January 15, 2014 at 9:05 pm

One more.

Dems – please remind voters of who the actual responsible party is:

January 15, 2014 at 9:05 pm

• 104 yardarm756
      January 15, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I guess it’s the way they roll in Jersey, eh?

• 105 99ts
        January 16, 2014 at 12:56 am

Sadly – that seems to be true. I NEVER heard Booker complaining about the millions Christie spent on the special election – they probably met to discuss it

• 106 yardarm756
          January 16, 2014 at 1:41 am

I fear I may have been wrong about him. Me thinks he has a hidden agenda and plans to be around a long time.

• 107 99ts
            January 16, 2014 at 3:20 am

I was hoping you had it right – I sometimes think PBO and Elizabeth Warren are the only democrats who are true to themselves and beholden to no-one.

32. 108 idon
    January 15, 2014 at 9:06 pm

In one of the pics of President Obama walking onstage in Raleigh, I see what looks like his original body man and current body man are both with him. I have been wondering where his original body man went. I’m so happy to see that he’s back :)

• 109 globalcitizenlinda
      January 15, 2014 at 9:41 pm

NC is Mr. Reggie Love’s home state – so he is probably there with POTUS to visit family & friends

January 15, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Love played basketball at Duke University. I don’t know if N.C. is his home state. He graduated from Duke. North Carolina Tarheels worst enemy, Duke.

January 15, 2014 at 9:08 pm

• 112 99ts
      January 16, 2014 at 12:58 am

hahahaha – Sarah is looking for money from the few wingnuts who still support her – she’ll no dount get $16 per month from the pensioners (male). Only cost them $12 per month last time – goes up every 4 years.

34. 113 0388jojothecat
    January 15, 2014 at 9:11 pm

As a SoCal Dem I will work my ass off to never allow another Repuke take the Governorship as long as I am living and breathing in CA.

January 15, 2014 at 9:13 pm

January 15, 2014 at 9:55 pm

I am practicing my dance moves, just in case I get my invitation to the First Lady 50th Birthday Party. I don’t want to embarrass myself, the electric side, the twist, the moonwalk, the hustle, and anything else i can think of.

• 117 cookemom
        January 15, 2014 at 10:14 pm

lol! I know right? I should probably go shopping for something to wear.

January 15, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Hell. I haven’t even thought about what to wear, all I’ve been worrying about is my dancing moves. See if I can get that dance POTUS did when he was on Ellen show. :)

36. January 15, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Chips, I’m not sure what’s wrong, but I can’t use the Twitter icon to sign in. I filled in the form myself but I didn’t really pay attention to the Twitter autofill. I get a message that my comment is waiting moderation. Sorry! Twitter did some kind of transformation a few days ago to make it more friendly to mobile users. That might be the problem. I would think WordPress would be working on if it is a problem for everyone. Enjoying your posts!

• 120 arapaho415
      January 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm

TME,

BobFR mentioned this problem yesterday, and I’m glad he did (Twitter doesn’t work on Chrome for me, and neither does WordPress, so I can only comment on TOD via Microsoft IE.

Don’t know if the Twitter redesign is responsible for the WP glitch though, because my Twitter update happened for me this afternoon, but WP hasn’t allowed me to use Twitter to login yesterday and today.

• January 15, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Yes, Arapaho – I continue, starting yesterday, not to be able to sign into TOD (WP) via Twitter which is a real annoyance to say the least. I don’t have a Facebook account but did click the FB icon to see what would appear and it is similarly non-functional. The WP and Google options do function but I have zero intention of creating a Google account and WP is weird about their account naming convention so I’m not using it.

• January 15, 2014 at 9:42 pm

I believe Twitter did their change on Sunday, I had problems since then. I haven’t tried to sign on because of it but it was definitely yesterday and today. Twitter looks quite a bit different and I have had some gulps and glitches with it. If it’s for everyone using WordPress then they should be working on a fix. BTW, I use Chrome with Twitter. Oh, well. At least I’m not stuck in moderation!

37. January 15, 2014 at 9:23 pm

January 15, 2014 at 9:24 pm

January 15, 2014 at 9:27 pm

libruls are pretty good at picking losers.

January 15, 2014 at 9:53 pm