Jan

Afternoon blog roundup

Welcome to our new TOD feature: Afternoon Blog Roundup, where I troll the newsy goosey blogs and find nuggets for your delectation.

***

Obamacare Derangement Syndrome causes Terri Lynn Land to attack Michigan GOP over Medicaid expansion

Terri Lynn Land wants to represent the state of Michigan in the United States Senate but she is clearly so unhinged by her raging case of Obamacare Derangement Syndrome that she’s lost the ability to comprehend what’s being said about healthcare any longer. It’s gotten so bad she’s now attacking her own Republican colleagues and appears to be completely unaware that she’s doing it.

In other words, she’s not worthy of even RUNNING for the U.S. Senate much less being a member of it.

With this sort of inadvertent inter-Party warfare going on, it’s little wonder Land has yet to secure the endorsement of the Michigan Republican Party or any major Republicans. The only thing she appears to have going for her is a huge personal bank account and the support of the Koch brothers front group, Americans for Prosperity.

***

Do you pay too much for your penis pump?

If you do, you’re in the same boat as Medicare:

“Vacuum erection systems — commonly known as “penis pumps” — cost the Medicare program $172 million over a six-year period, roughly double the amount the average American consumer would have paid at the retail level, according to a report released Monday…”

***

Artists Turns Trash Into Homes For The Homeless

1/8/14 By Matthew Artz – San Jose Mercury News

OAKLAND — Gregory Kloehn can turn just about anything into a home.

The Oakland artist spends his summers in Brooklyn living in a dumpster he outfitted with granite countertops, hardwood floors, a rooftop deck, plumbing and a barbecue grill.

But his proudest creations are even cozier structures that he gives to homeless people in his neighborhood.

Kloehn’s “little homeless homes” are about the size of a sofa, but they come with a pitched roof to keep out the rain and wheels so recipients can roll them around town.

***

How To Ignore Reality And Keep A Scandal Going: Benghazi Edition

A bipartisan Senate report released this week concludes that the intelligence community was behind the Obama administration’s suggestion that the 2012 Benghazi attacks grew out of a protest against an anti-Islam video. The revelation is yet another devastating blow to Fox News’ efforts to scandalize the administration’s focus on the video. But instead of reporting on that conclusion, Fox News instead spent last night reporting that they “were told” that President Obama and his closest advisers held a meeting the night of the attack and issued “marching orders” for the “video explanation.”

***

Nancy Pelosi Gives Republicans a Taste of Their 2014 ObamaCare Nightmare

Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) gave Republicans a taste of their 2014 ObamaCare nightmare today, giving Republicans a hint of just how big of a fail their plan to run against Obamacare this election will be during her morning presser.

Ms. Pelosi expressed optimism regarding 2014, saying Democrats raised a lot of money in an off year, and that the money raised is a “statement of strength”. A reporter then asked her the predictable question from a media that don’t understand how a glitch in a rollout to a program that millions need won’t have a huge impact in 2014.

Pelosi has no plans to hide from ObamaCare. Instead, she owned it as a pillar of security. You heard that correctly — a Democrat owning one of their policies that will benefit the people. It’s a new day in politics.

***

Chat away!

105 Responses to “Afternoon blog roundup”

1. 1 taiping1
    January 16, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Afternoon!

2. 6 taiping1
    January 16, 2014 at 5:49 pm

OMG! First!

January 16, 2014 at 5:54 pm

4. 9 Nena20409
    January 16, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Afternoon Delight? Hmm?

In My Neck of the woods, CT 4:00 pm is when the evening starts.

No matter. Afternoon it is at TOD, Yes :!: ;)

• January 16, 2014 at 5:56 pm

You forget, I’m on the Best Coast. Still afternoon here. :lol:

And my sky is a brilliant shade of orange from the smoke from our Glendora fire. :???:

• 11 Nena20409
        January 16, 2014 at 6:04 pm

You are incorrigible LL. ;)

California the state with the Most in Population. If it was a Country, CA will be the 6/8 most richest nation.

I am I said by Neil Diamond Makes me Love CA from a distance.

• January 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I am …I said…to no one there; no one heard me, not even the chair…(longtime, old ND fan). My favorite song of his and I have read that it is his favorite. “New York’s home, but it ain’t mine more.” He may not call NY home anymore, but Brooklynites call him “theirs.”

• 14 taiping1
      January 16, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I’m in California: I just clicked on the blog as I was rushing home to get a residential parking permit before the office closes (4 pm). Glad the spending bill passed. My husband does training for lawyers and mitigation experts in capital defense: 12/15 trainings were cancelled last year. My son does habeas appeals for people on death row: he was not paid for more than 4 months last year. The little things that never make it in the news.

5. 15 Nena20409
    January 16, 2014 at 5:56 pm

Taiping1 Congrats on your Gold.

6. January 16, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Bringing this over from end of last thread. Thanks, Linda, for the good reply. I also knew that Reid has said he will not bring it to the floor.

I’m not watching. However, I do want to share that I have heard 6-8 Democrats tallk with Ed on his radio show and they are all very opposed to the fast track of TPP. They are not opposed to the TPP in general……just fast-tracking it with no discussion or transparency. One of the leading people is Sherrod Brown. In fact, I think he is the leader of the opposition in the Senate. I think I heard there’s well over 200 Dems total who are on record as being opposed to this….again the fast-track idea, not the TPP as a whole. One Dem today–and I don’t remember who it was–pointed out that the President, regardless of who it is, is NOT shown the numbers for imports and how negatively that will affect jobs in nearly every industry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every Dem I’ve heard has made excellent points…..ones that seem to me to be common sense. I have called my two senators to say I am against the fast-track of this. Also sent an email to the WH and will call tomorrow. I agree that Ed goes overboard on things, including this, but I believe we need to get all the facts and think about this TPP and the fast-tracking of it seriously and not just “brush off” that Ed is being overly dramatic and critical.

• 18 Linda
      January 16, 2014 at 6:04 pm

Harry Reid said there will be NO FAST TRACKING legislation any time soon. He said that yesterday

• 20 dotster3
      January 16, 2014 at 6:19 pm

tnmtngirl—-just wanted to mention this because you talked about this the other day. My husband went to Walgreens to pick up his prescriptions today and all were $10 more this time, what was $7 was now $17 etc. When he asked about this, the pharmacist said Walgreens raised the co-pay $10, that they lost their “preferred” contract. I don’t pretend to speak with authority here—–have never paid much attention to much in the medical/insurance world—-mostly only saw drs. for 3 babies and an appendix operation —–but maybe something to do with our Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Illinois supplemental. Anyhoo—-pharmacist said he can still get discounted prescription prices at CVS and Osco, as well as others, in our area. He called CVS and they gave him a charge of $6 on the same prescription Walgreens charged $17. Don’t know if this might relate to your issue there in Tn. or not—–just passing the info along. And when mr. dotster asked, “Aren’t others complaining about this? Pharmacist said, “yes, 100′s” Mr. dotster said, “Won’t you lose all your pharmacy customers?” Pharmacist said, “Probably.”

• January 16, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Thanks, dotster. I will check to see if it is a Kroger thing, but I believe after my call to my insurance company (for Part D) that it is that and not Kroger. Never hurts to ask though. Thanks again!!! Much appreciated.

• 22 57andfemale
        January 16, 2014 at 8:30 pm

insurance providers make these changes every year. One company makes a better offer, yada yada. During open enrollment everyone should make sure their particular meds are still covered, still in the same category, who the preferred provider is. This has nothing to do with Obamacare. If it didnt happen to you in the past, that’s just luck. It is the insanity of our for profit health care system.

7. 23 Nena20409
    January 16, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Poll in UT says: It’s a Split on Marriage Equality. Thanks “Obama”

Utah residents are split evenly on support for same-sex marriage — 48 percent feel gay couples should be issued state marriage licenses while 48 percent do not, according to a Tuesday Salt Lake Tribune poll.

The numbers mark a dramatic shift in attitude toward same-sex marriage in the state, according to the Tribune.

8. 27 Linda
    January 16, 2014 at 6:00 pm

20 subpoenas have been issued for Christie-gate today

9. January 16, 2014 at 6:01 pm

I wanted to ask you all a question. I have a friend who told me the administration was backing off environmental protections in the Pacific Trade Agreement. I saw that the Sierra club was complaining. I know the President’s record on the environment, so that’s enough for me, but I wanted to know what kind of information I could give them or lead them to. Thanks in advance!

January 16, 2014 at 6:05 pm

It would seem that I really belong in Cape Town. Who knew! I KNOW I don’t belong in AZ….that, I know.

• January 16, 2014 at 6:07 pm

No matter what I do, I keep ending up in Portland. I question the test’s accuracy.

January 16, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I have it all figured out, LL “Port” side is the “left” side…you live on the “left coast” End of story. You should be where you are able to live your best life. For you, it’s LA:) All good, if you like my little “reasoning” …all the better.

11. 35 dotster3
    January 16, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I see the latest attack on Obamacare, which started with the rt. wing nuts and has now seeped into the MSM, is that all that personal info you must submit to enroll is liable to be stolen. Local NBC Chgo news just went on and on about this scary prospect, did interviews on the street, cherry picked the interviews aired, I presume, as they found people who said they didn’t trust the security, especially with all the recent hackings etc. Message was Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid.
    Whenever one issue improves and gets too much positive news, they just come up with another to try to scare people away.
    It is unimaginable that so many would be on a mission to try to deny others access to affordable health care.

• January 16, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Get ths: TN legislature returned yesterday. Today a group of GOP lawmakers filed a bill to block the ACA. Sigh………….

• 37 mophene
      January 16, 2014 at 7:28 pm

The Koch brother money is here in MI. I just saw my first anti ACA ad. It tells people to call Dem Senator Gary Peters and tell him that you are upset about the ACA. 100k people have had their insurance policies cancelled blah,blah,blah……The ins companies have a lot of cash too and they run commercials 24/7 telling people where and how they can sign up, and the benefits of having insurance to keep their families safe. The Koch Brothers really have their work cut out for them.

• 38 57andfemale
      January 16, 2014 at 8:34 pm

the same yahoos are using credit cards, clicking on ads and are letting google and apple and amazon ‘suggest’ products and music. They are posting on facebook their every move, thought, meal and action.

12. 39 Linda
    January 16, 2014 at 6:08 pm

The child animal whisperers: Mother’s intimate photographs capture her sons’ special bond with dogs, ducks and rabbits

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2539802/The-child-animal-whisperers-Mothers-intimate-photographs-capture-sons-special-bond-dogs-ducks-rabbits.html#ixzz2qbcZ0Go2

Beautiful pictures.

January 16, 2014 at 6:11 pm

January 16, 2014 at 6:15 pm

January 16, 2014 at 6:19 pm

January 16, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I sincerely hope this is one of the top issues of 2014! People need a living wage, not a minimum wage. They also need full time work with benefits, not part time work so benefits don’t have to be paid.

Don’t get me started. :)

January 16, 2014 at 6:21 pm

london… because I voted for sex?

January 16, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah….DEAD.

January 16, 2014 at 6:34 pm

19. 63 dotster3
    January 16, 2014 at 6:35 pm

January 16, 2014 at 6:36 pm

January 16, 2014 at 6:36 pm

22. January 16, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Here’s your moment of pretty:

23. 67 GGail
    January 16, 2014 at 6:39 pm

UT, you are hilarious….I just read this from the last post and almost fell out of my chair laughing ROFLMAO!!!!!

GOP Tell us your top issues http://bit.ly/1kn37Pl
    Let’s win big in 2014.

Nerdy Wonka @NerdyWonka

Where are Biggie and Tupac?

January 16, 2014 at 6:43 pm

• 71 Nena20409
      January 16, 2014 at 8:33 pm

In PA, FL, even in TX as of 2004, those states had More Dems registered. The issue is for folks to care enough to go and Vote.

25. 72 99ts
    January 16, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I’ve got to get a life outside of Bridgegate – sigh – but this posted earlier (I have just caught up) is off the planet

“Today, the Christie Administration announced the retention of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP to assist with the internal review announced by Governor Christie last week and to further cooperate with the U.S. Attorney inquiry. As part of the review process, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP will review best practices for office operations and information flow, and assist with document retention and production.”

The last 4 words say it all – “Document retention and production” – How did that email get into the public domain – let’s find out how to shred every last record of what happens in this office. Used to be we could shred the paper – we obviously need legal assistance in shredding electronic data storage.

I’m waiting for GG to start praising Gov Christie for making sure everyone has the privacy to attack their political opponents and call it a traffic study.

26. 74 carolyn
    January 16, 2014 at 7:44 pm

LL……thanks for using the word “delectation”…….that is a delicious word! Not used very much, but just right here!

I love words for their sounds. This semester I have a student from” Waxahachie”, TX. I love that name…..say it three or four times and sense how it feels in your mouth……then the name I love right now for its sound, is” Benedict Cumberbatch”……that is a royal mouthful! So glad the Brits didn’t make him shorten it. Roll that one around too……..those three words are delicious.

• 75 99ts
      January 16, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Hi carolyn – you remind me of my trip to Wales in the UK – the agent who spent quite some time planning our trip was an absolute delight – the welsh words (most of which I cannot start to spell, let alone pronounce) rolled off his tongue like music

• January 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm

It is one of my favorite, underutilized words.

27. 77 dotster3
    January 16, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Highly disturbing—–Christian groups giving out bibles in Orange County, Fl. public schools. No religious materials of any kind belong in our public schools. I can just imagine the uproar if Muslim groups started handing out Korans in our public schools. Separation of church and state——-it’s critical in a democracy and has served us well.

January 16, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Totally agree. What are they thinking, allowing that?

• 79 Nena20409
      January 16, 2014 at 8:30 pm

The way to stop these kinds of things wold be for another group to start handing out Koran, Buddhist Book, etc. And watch that nonsense disappear for school boards are filled now with Fundamentalists and politicians are scared to death to speak the truth.

These people doing these acts willfully thumb their noses on the Constitution.

• 80 carolyn
        January 16, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Yes, Nena, that method would stop them. Here in Oklahoma, one church group put up a Ten Commandments monument on the capitol grounds. They were denied at first, but eventually, got permission. Well…….this opened the door.
        Two weeks ago, the Satanist Temple of New York submitted a proposal for a Satanist monument next to the Ten Commandments. It will be a goat, seated, so “little children can climb up in his lap and be comforted.” Well…..you can imagine the self righteous howls from the religious fundamentalists here.
        However, a local TV station did its series called The Rant on this last week, and about 70% of the people emailing and calling, said “What did the State expect? Put up one religion’s monument, you open it to all religions”. We’ll see how much longer the Ten Commandments monument stays up. If it does, they’ll be under great pressure to approve the Satanist statue.
        The ten commandments people tried to claim historical significance as the reason it was erected, then the Satanists said their monument had historical significance too. Should be interesting.

28. 82 arapaho415
    January 16, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Africa asked on an earlier thread who the 16 Dems are who are advocating war with Iran.

Michael Bennet DSC chair (!) from Colorado joined the saboteurs this year. Scratching my head about Bennet — to the best of my knowledge, AIPAC isn’t a hot button topic like it is in some places on either coast.

Here’s a list that Sabreen60 posted earlier this month (added Bennet).

Robert Menendez – NJ
    Kay Hagan – NC
    Mary Landrieu – LA
    Joe Manchin – WV
    Mark Pryor – AR
    Charles Schumer – NY
    Mark Warner -VA

Agree that Chris Hayes is hard to watch (over-the-top gestures) and to listen to, but he did call these Senators out last night for advocating war and undermining what could well be a milestone in the Obama Administration foreign policy legacy.

on.msnbc.com/1m8bZDK

January 16, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Kay Hagan the one who claim she had to stay in D.C. yesterday when her Democratic President came to her state.

• 84 Ladyhawke
      January 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Unbelievable, basically it’s the northeast corridor senators and the usual suspects like Manchin, Landrieu, Pryor, Kagan. And a few that make you scratch your head like Bennett and Begich. I don’t know how they can listen to the floor speech by Senator Feinstein and continue this meddling with the Iran deal. smdh.

29. January 16, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I knew this was going to happen soon.

30. 92 arapaho415
    January 16, 2014 at 8:17 pm

LL,

Here’s why you’re suffering from the Glendora fire smoke.

(I’m located about where the “i” in Colby Wildfire is on this map.)

31. 95 Nena20409
    January 16, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Leader Reid is Now OK for Legalized Marijuana? TMP is reporting about an hour ago. HP too and AP too.

Wow.

Then In KY, the Dem senatorial Candidate is Now for the Rise of Minimum Wage.

UT is split on Marriage Equality. Wow.

Now if Christie Confesses tomorrow Morning and Scalia or Thomas resigns or Called away by nature……Wow….What a FRIDAY tomorrow could be ;) :?:

• 96 arapaho415
      January 16, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Yeah, the MSM is willfully being blind to the fact that the country is really left of center.

I happened to catch upChuck for a couple of minutes this morning, and he SHOCKED me (while defending Christie).

upChuck said that Christie learned from the Republican mistake of overreach when it came to Benghazi!

Guess he’s no longer BFFs with @JoeNBC.

• 97 Nena20409
        January 17, 2014 at 10:57 am

Broken Clock is right 2X in a day.

Their ratings start to slide, they try with a lukewarm rational comments. When they become consistent, then I will will buy what they are selling.

32. 98 Nena20409
    January 16, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Russell Johnson Dead: ‘Gilligan’s Island’ Professor Dies At 89

Only Two Original Cast Members remain. Ginger and MaryAnn

I loved Gilligan Island. The opening Music was my Fav.

33. 99 Nena20409
    January 16, 2014 at 8:42 pm

“But are we ashamed? So many scandals that I do not want to mention individually, but all of us know…We know where they are! Scandals, some who charged a lot of money…. The shame of the Church!
    But are we all ashamed of those scandals, of those failings of priests, bishops, laity? Where was the Word of God in those scandals; where was the Word of God in those men and in those women? They did not have a relationship with God! They had a position in the Church, a position of power, even of comfort. But the Word of God, no! ‘But, I wear a medal,’ ‘I carry the Cross ‘ … Yes, just as those bore the Ark!

Without the living relationship with God and the Word of God! I am reminded of the words of Jesus about those for whom scandals come … And here the scandal hit: bringing decay (it: decadenza) to the people of God, including (it: fino alla) the weakness and corruption of the priests.”

34. January 16, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Just read an ‘opinion’ piece in our paper. Thomas Sowell: “GOP should follow Christie’s Example”—-”….unlike Barack Obama, he did not duck the media or sidestep the questions……..he quickly fired the people he held responsible……..a small traffic jam in NJ………” and the last paragraph: “Christie has provided an example of the kind of articulation that is needed — indeed, imperative — if the Republicans are to have any chance of rescuing this country from the ruinious policies of the past few years.”

God, forgive me……I hate these people.

• 102 jackiegrumbacher
      January 16, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Hard not to, TN. After all, it’s SO much more admirable to excuse yourself of every fault and blame and fire someone else, than it is to admit right away that buck “stops with me” and I will ensure the problem gets fixed. Sowell obviously follows the “blame the other guy” school of thought. It’s the coward’s way, so it does fit the GOP.

RSS OFA