Jan

Rise and Shine

On This Day: President Obama pauses to look back at the scene before leaving the platform following the inaugural swearing-in ceremony at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., Jan. 21, 2013 (Photo by Lawrence Jackson)

Today (all times Eastern):

Update: both events canceled due to weather

1:0: Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney

2:05: The President and the Vice President meet with the President’s Commission on Election Administration, The Oval Office

NYT: Peace of Mind Is First Benefit for Many Now Getting Medicaid

Sharon Mills, a disabled nurse, long depended on other people’s kindness to manage her diabetes. She scrounged free samples from doctors’ offices, signed up for drug company discounts and asked for money from her parents and friends. Her church often helped, but last month used its charitable funds to help repair other members’ furnaces.

Ms. Mills, 54, who suffered renal failure last year after having irregular access to medication, said her dependence on others left her feeling helpless and depressed. “I got to the point when I decided I just didn’t want to be here anymore,” she said.

So when a blue slip of paper arrived in the mail this month with a new Medicaid number on it — part of the expanded coverage offered under the Affordable Care Act — Ms. Mills said she felt as if she could breathe again for the first time in years. “The heavy thing that was pressing on me is gone,” she said.

…. Last week Ms. Mills used her Medicaid number for the first time to fill a prescription. It was a Wednesday and she walked into Walmart feeling good.

“Now I’ve got insurance,” she said, “and I’m waving that piece of paper all over the place.”

Full article here

Steve Benen: Critic sees ACA as ‘a godsend’

Sean Recchi, a small-business owner in Lancaster, Ohio, was diagnosed with cancer in 2012. The business he and his wife ran wasn’t making a lot money; the family was forced to borrow heavily; and officials at the cancer center where he sought treatment said his insurance was effectively worthless.

Despite these horrific circumstances, Sean’s wife, Stephanie Recchi, told Time’s Steven Brill last fall, “I don’t think Obamacare will help us. I don’t want anything to do with it.” She added, “I hear a lot of bad things about it – that it doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions and it’s too expensive.” Why did she believe this? Recchi said she’d seen “television ads and some politicians talking on the news.”

…. That was a few months ago. Brill published a follow-up report this week…

….. What Stephanie soon discovered, she told me in mid-November, “was a godsend.”

Full post here

ThinkProgress: Medicaid Expansion Has Already Cut The Number Of Uninsured West Virginians By A Third

West Virginia Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin’s (D) decision to accept Obamacare’s optional Medicaid expansion last spring is already paying off in a big way for the large number of poor and uninsured people in the state.

According to the New York Times, about 75,000 Wast Virginia residents have enrolled in Medicaid since Obamacare’s open enrollment season launched in October. While a portion of that consists of people who already had Medicaid benefits and are simply re-enrolling in the program, a sizable number of uninsured residents are gaining health benefits for the first time, thanks to the health law’s expanded eligibility threshold that allows anyone earning up 138 percent of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) to enroll in Medicaid. In fact, the number of uninsured people in the states has already been reduced by a third.

An analysis by the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) finds that the Medicaid expansion will eventually reduce West Virginia’s uninsurance rate by a staggering 67 percent.

More here

TPM: Obama To Discuss Inequality With Pope Francis In March

President Barack Obama is expected to meet with Pope Francis in March, the White House announced Tuesday.

…. The President will travel to Vatican City on March 27 as part of a swing through Europe that includes visiting the Netherlands for the Nuclear Security Summit and Brussels, Belgium for a U.S.-EU Summit.

More here

Steve Benen: ‘An important first step’ in Iran

It’s been two months since Iranian officials reached an agreement with the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council plus Germany (P5+1) on a six-month nuclear deal. We learned last week that the framework, which garnered international approval, would be implemented starting on Jan. 20.

That, of course, is [yesterday]. And while it’s literally the first day of a six-month process, so far, the agreement is working as intended.

…. the six-month talks between Iran and the P5+1 nations are still underway, with diplomats searching for a permanent deal on Iran’s nuclear future. It’s best to keep expectations in check, but so long as Congress doesn’t sabotage the diplomatic process on purpose, the process will continue.

Full post here

ThinkProgress: West Virginia Governor On Safety Of Water Supply: ‘It’s Your Decision… I’m Not A Scientist’

Amid growing concerns over whether or not the water is actually safe for 300,000 West Virginians following a massive chemical spill into the water supply, the state’s governor said it was up to each of them to decide whether they use it.

“It’s your decision,” Gov. Tomblin told reporters at a press conference on Monday. “If you do not feel comfortable drinking or cooking with this water then use bottled water.”

“I’m not going to say absolutely, 100 percent that everything is safe,” Tomblin continued. “But what I can say is if you do not feel comfortable, don’t use it.”

More here

Good riddance:

TPM: Charlie Crist Picks Up Obama’s 2012 Campaign Manager

Jim Messina, President Barack Obama’s campaign manager for his 2012 re-election bid, has joined former Florida Gov. Charlie Christ’s (D) campaign.

…. Messina is expected to act more as a senior advisor to Crist rather than a campaign manager, according to the Miami Herald.

More here

On This Day:

President Obama is given the Oath of Office for a second time by Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. in the Map Room of the White House, Jan. 21, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Pete Souza: “This was his first morning in the Oval Office as President of the United States. He was reading some briefing material before a meeting.” Jan. 21, 2009

President Obama sits in the Oval Office on his first day in office, Jan. 21, 2009 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama pauses before moving to the West Front of the U.S. Capitol, Jan. 21, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts administers the oath of office to President Obama, Jan. 21, 2013 (Photo by Sonya N. Hebert)

President Obama, with First Lady Michelle Obama, toasts with Vice President Biden during the inaugural luncheon, Jan. 21, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama ride in the inaugural parade in Washington, D.C., Jan. 21, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Vice President Biden and Dr. Jill Biden dance at the Commander in Chief’s Ball

President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama dance together during the Commander-in-Chief’s Inaugural Ball at the Walter Washington Convention Center, January 21, 2013

130 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

January 21, 2014 at 10:29 am

Is that CC?

January 21, 2014 at 10:31 am

One year already?

Dang, I must be getting younger.

3. 15 Judith Fardig
    January 21, 2014 at 10:32 am

My family and I were just as excited to be there last year as we were the first time President Obama was inaugurated! Thanks for the lovely photos!

January 21, 2014 at 10:35 am

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

with that, I bid adieu.

5. 20 Vicki
    January 21, 2014 at 10:41 am

And now for a substantive comment……
    I am totally ecstatic about Obamacare. Yesterday the NY Times piece was posted here and it was great news, but seeing it on the Front Page this morning was a lovely start to the day. The Times and all the rest of the NY media are in deep denial about the spectacular job President Obama is doing for us. If they could they would delete his name from every newspaper.

But they can’t do that because the Deeds and Actions of our President are more powerful than their partisan crap!!

Also, Cindy, if you are here this morning. Your story of what was done to you when you were a little girl was horrifying. Clearly I have underestimated the violence of hatred in this country. I am so sorry for the pain you’ve felt and I hope that every day of your life gets better and better. Nothing i can say feels right and adequate but I wanted to let you know that I care.

• 21 jackiegrumbacher
      January 21, 2014 at 11:20 am

Morning Vicki. You are so right about the attempts by the media to systematically forget who our president is when there is good news. How are people in NY responding to their new mayor?. I miss your reports about the DeBlasios.

• 22 Vicki
        January 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm

You are so kind,jackieg!!! I thought folks might have been tired of my NY De Blasio updates.

The short answer is that Bill dB is being treated EXACTLY the same as POTUS in the media. meaning they pretend as best they can that there is no mayor of NYC.

So what the media is covering instead is Andrew Cuomo the Governor who is a Democrat in name only. His State of the State message was a loveletter to the 1%—-cut taxes, etc.

Meanwhile Mayor De Blasios’ first initiative was extending the Sick Days law. De Blasio’s plan extends sick days to every business with more than 5 employees and begins on April 1. This overrules the gruding and inadequate law that Bloomberg allowed after 3 years of hold-ups.
        Democratic and progressive New Yorkers are over-the-moon about the new city Bill and his team are working for.

• January 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm

He will be Governor in three years or after the Mayor term limit is over. He may even be a contender for President. Our first Italian president and another AA FLOTUS…..all the Teabagzoombies will be dead by then.

• 24 betseyc
          January 21, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Vicki, I’m a transplanted New Yorker after spending my first 60 years in my home state, and I love your updates! Keep them coming, please. And I think we’re all delighted to follow BdB’s career.

• 26 Cindy
      January 21, 2014 at 12:12 pm

Good afternoon Vicki,

Thank you for the warm thoughts and beautiful words. That alone is enough said : )

Have a blessed and wonderful Tuesday!

• January 21, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Cindy, I’m just now reading your story as well and I hope you know we all send you lots of kindness and friendship as part of this community. It’s a great testament to your own spirit that you overcame this suffering and humiliation at the hands of the heartless. BRAVA!

• 28 Cindy
          January 21, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Hey….Happy Tuesday meta!

Thank you, and yes, all I can say about you guys; TOD universe rocks : )

The great thing about sharing….we learn, we grow, and together, we can make the world a better place.

Have a awesome day……

January 21, 2014 at 10:42 am

I can’t sleep in good conscience if I don’t post this.

Gunnite.

7. 33 Nerdy Wonka
    January 21, 2014 at 10:42 am

Holy smokes, Chips! This is a dynamo of a Rise and Shine.

Also, thanks for the Wendy Davis shout out. It will be a new and better day for Texans when she becomes Governor.

• January 21, 2014 at 10:47 am

Thank yoooooou Nerdy, what glorious memories!!

I tweeted a couple of times last night in support of Wendy and some of the bile that came back about her was beyond belief, what ugly ugly ugly people.

8. 35 Vicki
    January 21, 2014 at 10:44 am

Re: One year ago. Time is moving way too fast for me. I want POTUS to remain our Leader forever.

9. 36 Linda
    January 21, 2014 at 10:45 am

David Vitter is running for Govenor of Louisiana.

10. 37 dotster3
    January 21, 2014 at 10:47 am

Uh oh, chips—-you forgot the Biggest News of All——-it’s Squirrel Appreciation Day today! So Happy Squirrel Appreciation Day, everyone! I took care of our bushy tails recently, feeling sorry for them with the constant snow and slim pickin’s in the food dept. out there— and threw out a couple handfuls of nuts. I was either real nice or made a big mistakeroo—–now one of my new friends stares in at me with beautiful, pleading eyes from the sliding glass door, as if to say, “C’mon lady! Don’t just sit there with a computer on your lap! Need more nuts! Now!!!”

11. 38 dotster3
    January 21, 2014 at 10:49 am

I see the WH press briefing and the election commission mtg. have both been cancelled—due to weather.

12. 41 Nerdy Wonka
    January 21, 2014 at 10:52 am

I looooooooove this law.

13. 46 No Child Left Behind
    January 21, 2014 at 11:02 am

Good Morning Chipsticks, Good Morning Everyone.

Fantastic post and so many good memories. More especially, thanks for posting a photo of Danny Boy with the Santa hat. I always like to see Danny.

14. 48 japa21
    January 21, 2014 at 11:08 am

Okay, Chips, you forgot one epic, groundbreaking photo which has won you acclaim throughout the photography world. where is it?

• January 21, 2014 at 11:26 am

You, Mr Japa, should hang your head in shame – that epic photo was from the first inauguration, so was January 20. I dedicated an entire post to it the other day and the offers have been pouring in looking for enlarged versions. :cool:

• 50 japa21
        January 21, 2014 at 11:37 am

My apologies young lady. Unfortunately, I have not been able to visit this sacred site for the past few days and won;t be able to do more than drop by and drop few if any comments for a while. I do believe that offers are pouring in, asking for all copies plus the original, for purposes I won;t mention.

• January 21, 2014 at 11:45 am

I’ll forgive you everything, including your rudeness about my masterpiece and your impending absence, for calling me young.

Hope all’s good with you, don’t be gone for long or we’ll hunt you down.

• 52 japa21
            January 21, 2014 at 11:56 am

Don’t worry. Just very busy at work trying to get things done so while I am gone for 2 weeks post surgery, the place won’t fall apart without me.

• 53 Cindy
              January 21, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Good afternoon japa21……

I hope that you will have a great Tuesday, in spite of the work.

Just wanted to see how pretty girl Miss Maggie is doing…….I hope she is feeling well and moving about.

• 55 dotster3
            January 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm

chips—-don’t we deserve to be treated to your other award-winning photo——your brilliant capture of the port-a-potty line up? The time and space and realism, the order, the whiteness you were able to portray was “stunning”, as they say—–we demand another showing. Or are you preserving it for your post-Obama coffee table photo book——already have a multi-$million publishing deal?

• January 21, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Well Dotster, I resisted posting them again out of modesty, I really didn’t want to show up Pete Souza’s efforts. But if you insist. Gimme a minute. PS Your assessment of my work is soooo spot on, especially the “stunning” bit.

• 58 dotster3
                January 21, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Ahhhhh—–there they are. I’d forgotten your “stunning” ability to showcase the harmonious mix of color——the blues, the grays, the tans, the greens, the whites, the browns and the desert aquas——-lovely to behold, unforgettable images. Thank you for overcoming your modesty and allowing our eyes this additional feast!

• January 21, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Dotster, when I publish my photography book I’m going to get you to write the introduction – you capture the subtlety of my work so perfectly. A pleasure to bring you this afternoon treat, if you’re not careful I’ll post more.

• January 21, 2014 at 1:43 pm

One thing no one thought of concerning the porta potties at the 2009 Inauguration (I cannot speak to 2013 since I was only there at the first one) was that when everyone was packed in to watch the ceremony it would have been near impossible to make it to a potty. I had taken a cane that had a perch on it and it took many people shifting their weight to allow me to sit then stand. It was very cold and easy to have either your butt or feet freeze that year.

15. 62 GGail
    January 21, 2014 at 11:28 am

Good West Coast morning Chipsticks & TOD family.

Chips – posts like this make me teary eyed at work. I couldn’t take my eyes off of the “first day in the oval office pics”, 2009 and then the “looking out at the crowd”, 2013.

Time is flying by too fast.

• 63 jackiegrumbacher
      January 21, 2014 at 11:35 am

Yes, it is, Gail. I had exactly the same reaction to the “first day” photo. Can’t imagine the excitement and also the anxiety the president must have felt with so much to do and so much to learn. But he has more than grown into the office he inhabits. He has outsized it to become one of the best presidents to ever use that office.

• January 21, 2014 at 11:35 am

Mooooooorning GGail, I know how you feel – ooooh, he looked SO young in those first-day-in-Oval photos.

16. 69 Nena20409
    January 21, 2014 at 11:37 am

Fine. Fine. Fine piece of Work. Perfection.

Thank you.

17. 70 jackiegrumbacher
    January 21, 2014 at 11:44 am

We’re being socked in here in PA’s lower Susquehanna Valley. Not only is the snow falling fast, but we’re being warned of 15 below wind chill weather coming tonight. If this is what’s moving toward the east coast, please stay indoors and don’t try any ventures out onto the roads. It’s a good day to nap and dream about Spring daffodils and walks in the park. SIGH. There’s not a little irony in Christie’s inauguration coming on a day like this. Even the weather Gods are dumping on him. I’m sure he envisioned this event as the beginning of his coronation as the GOP front runnner in 2016, but fate decided otherwise.

• 71 Cindy
      January 21, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Good afternoon jackiegrumbacher,

Happy cold and snowy Tuesday to you…

Please be safe.

Christie boy is experiencing what “bona fide karma” feels like and looks like up close, and in his face!!!!!!

January 21, 2014 at 11:44 am

Looking over the Inauguration crowd pictures again, I’m actually grinning, big time! *I*. was. there!

I was over on the right side, a little ways behind the big trees. It was awesome! When they arrived I could see the faces of the Obama princesses, Michelle and Barack quite clearly……. on the huge video-tron screen! :razz: :razz:

THANKS again, Grandma DonnaDem! Those tickets made all the difference!

January 21, 2014 at 11:57 am
    • 76 Obama Grandmama
      January 21, 2014 at 1:50 pm

I was near the first screen on the right side near the American Indian Museum in 2009. I wonder how many of us were there not knowing each other in a similar vicinity? I cannot remember the color of my ticket except it was not the infamous tickets that got stuck underground.

January 22, 2014 at 4:48 pm

OG, I’d bet there were many TODobots there in close proximity in 2013 without knowing, and lots of future TODoboys in 2009. Ah well, we were there!!! In fact, if you were near the potties at all in 2009, you’d have almost certainly been near Chips! She did hand there long enough to compose her masterpieces….and at different angles too /said with wonder in the voice/.

19. January 21, 2014 at 11:57 am

Awesomeeeeeeeeee …Awesomeeeeeeeee memories….I remember the absolute JOY that I felt watching the inaugural….a different kind of Joy than I felt the first time…when I listened to PBOs inaugural speech I felt the determination and passion in his voice …it was as if he was saying that he was not letting Anything “Turn Him Around”…

The MSM keeps trying to get We the People to lose trust in him…they try to paint PBO as a buffoon, a failure….But they have not been successful…for me, all it does is stiffen my resolve to #TrustBarack….

as we move Forward to bring about a more Perfect Union……

January 21, 2014 at 12:01 pm

It felt awfully COLD when I stuck my nose out earlier, so I think I’d better go get milk, croissants, juice etc. etc. in case the storm does come this way. BBL

21. 81 dotster3
    January 21, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Why are we being treated to the Chris Christie inauguration ceremony? I note the attendees are clapping long and hard for the TV cameras—–and that’s all I can bear.

• 82 MightyPamela
      January 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm

#clickoff.??

• 83 jackiegrumbacher
      January 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Dotster, interesting question, since we have some fine Democratic governors in the US, including, CA, MD and KY and they not only get no publicity for their significant achievements, but their inaugurals are ignored. Ninety nine. nine percent of the people in the US don’t care about an inaugural in NJ and even fewer care what a governor says at one.

22. 84 Nerdy Wonka
    January 21, 2014 at 12:07 pm

:lol:

23. 85 mtmarilyn
    January 21, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Good morning all TODbots!! It is going to be in the 40’s again here in MT and sunny. We haven’t had this many clear skies in the winter, I can’t remember when it has been like this and I have lived here since 1981. All this week it is to be in the high 30’s low 40’s, sunny in the day and then in the 20’s at night. No snow coming. Guess it is all going east. We really need some.

Thank you all, especially, Nerdy Wonka (UT), for those wonderful posts yesterday. My husband and I are both fighting this respiratory flu. So have been doing lots of lurking.

Cindy, the courage you have shown in sharing your story with us is so awe inspiring. I was in tears. As a white woman I can only imagine the horror you have endured. It breaks my heart to know how we treat people. Know that our love and admiration for you is immense!

• 86 Nerdy Wonka
      January 21, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Glad you enjoyed the posts about Martin Luther King Jr., MTMarilyn. It was a pleasure to work on and I wish you and your husband a healthy recovery.

• 87 Cindy
      January 21, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Good afternoon mtmarilyn,

First, thank you so much for your words of caring. One of the best things about life; we can continue to grow, learn, and share, so that the world, one day, will be a better place for all.

I do hope that you and your husband recover from the flu real soon, just be careful.

Have a wonderful and blessed Tuesday!!!!

24. 88 Nerdy Wonka
    January 21, 2014 at 12:09 pm
  25. 89 Ladyhawke
    January 21, 2014 at 12:09 pm

HUBRIS.

Did Adoring Christie Coverage Invite NJ Corruption?

By ERIC BOEHLERT

——————————————

Zimmer hasn’t been alone in alleging payback. According to Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop, after he failed to endorse Christie’s re-election last year a series of meetings he had scheduled with previously supportive Christie officials were abruptly canceled and never rescheduled. And Elizabeth, NJ’s longtime mayor, Christian Bollwage, claims that after he opposed parts of Christie’s legislative agenda in 2010, the state retaliated with collective punishment for Elizabeth locals by closing the city’s only Department of Motor Vehicles department.

In the wake of the mounting revelations, the Daily News’ Lupica quotes a political insider who described described Christie’s mounting woes this way: “Christie has been on a continual roll and he thinks he’s invincible. And once you think you are invincible, you’ve got a problem.”

Question: Who was instrumental in convincing Chris Christie’s political team that the governor was invincible? The Beltway media.

—————————————–

Read more here ……

26. 90 Cindy
    January 21, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Good afternoon Chipsticks-more wonderful posts today. THANK YOU!!!!!
    wuff, wuff Danny boy!

Hello to the TOD family!!!!!!

I’ve had the opportunity to sit and just read everything; amk for obama, you make me laugh. 1st student for tutoring was at 6:00a.m. and the 2nd one was at 7:30a.m., so I am just catching up from traveling across town this morning.

meta, you almost gave me a heart attack with your post; President Obama’s guy is working for Charlie Christ. All I saw was Christ Christie, and I freaked out and yelled-WHY! Then I read it again and laughed. Wonderful world of aging; mind goes and then the eyes : )

Wishing everyone to be safe, especially those who are having snow storms and rain.

Having a wonderfully, delicious and awesome day-in spite of your……….(fill in the blank), because if you woke up, and you were able to get up, it’s already a great day : )

27. 91 Nerdy Wonka
    January 21, 2014 at 12:13 pm
  28. 92 Linda
    January 21, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Black out of Christie on Fox Spews.

29. 93 debz
    January 21, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Love the R&S, so many memories. Air FLOTUS is the best!

30. January 21, 2014 at 12:17 pm

GM TOD. Wonderful trip down memory lane, Chips! ………. I can’t believe FLOTUS posterized Ray Allen!!!!! For those that don’t know where this originates from…… athletes while giving interviews unknowingly have their teammates sneak up behind them with a nerf goal and get posterized :cool: Another meme is during Heat post game interviews Chris Bosh, always photo bombs his teammates……. hence him popping up with water.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Mrs. Obama, is so freaking cool….. and Lebron played it off so well. Spolstra, D-Wade, and especially Ray Allen had no idea!

31. 97 JER
    January 21, 2014 at 12:18 pm
  32. 98 Linda
    January 21, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Blitzer says it was a powerful speech and will help Christie.

hahaaaa

• 99 57andfemale
      January 21, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Has Wolf EVER said that PBO gave a powerful speech that would help him?

I’m sick of the wholesale ownership of our journalism by RWNJ’s.

33. 100 dotster3
    January 21, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Another campus shooting? Purdue U. in Lafayette, In. is on lockdown with a reported shooting there. Saw there was a shooting yesterday at a college outside Philly. Notice that these school shootings seem to be happening daily now.

34. 103 57andfemale
    January 21, 2014 at 12:43 pm

OT: May I just say, it’s effing cold and snowy here in Chicago today. Shoeveled at least 8 inches of snow this morning. I am working from home so Mr. 57 doesn’t crawl out on roofs or shovel too much.

I just got Nickelby through his inflamed disk issue, and he goes outside, crawls over a snow drift, can’t get out and sits in the snow as his back freezes up. I had to crawl out into the snow drift, pick him up so as not to aggravate his back and carry him into the house and up the stairs.

This winter SUCKS.

• 104 Cindy
      January 21, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Happy snowy Tuesday to you 57andfemale,

It sounds likes Nickelby wanted to play : ), or maybe sweet little Pearl chased him out in that bad snow : (

Thank goodness for great mommies : ) I am speaking for Nickelby, this is what his heart is probably saying.

Have a wonderful day!

• 105 57andfemale
        January 21, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Pearl is the only sensible one: using the spots I went to great trouble to shovel out this morning and then having the good sense to come right back in. Kasper believes fervently that the snow fell specifically to cover stuff he MUST now find so he’s digging everywhere, spreading snow right back over what I just shoveled. Nickelby must conquer the icy, waist-high snow drifts even if Mommy has to come save him.

The boys have serious cabin fever. My little girl has common sense.

• 106 Cindy
          January 21, 2014 at 1:20 pm

girls rule; we all know why the good Lord gave the “WOMAN” to man : )

• 107 57andfemale
            January 21, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Someone has to explain to me how men still rule the world. If Women Ruled the World, we’d make a whole lot less bombs, if a military project didn’t work we’d stop throwing money at it. We’d have roads that miraculously melted snow and ice. We’d have constitutional rights to education and health care, and serious restrictions against guns. Schools would be palaces (to quote Sam Seaborn from The West Wing) and corporations would have responsibility to the commons before responsibility to their shareholders.

Should I go on?

• 108 Cindy
              January 21, 2014 at 1:28 pm

You go girl! ppppprrrrrreeeeeeeaaaaaaaaccccccccchhhhhhhhhh Reverend 57andfemale : )

• 109 MightyPamela
              January 21, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Uh, 57, THIS is exactly why men do not want women to have money!! Money = Power. TaDa! Anyway, have been watching the nws reports for your regions, and keeping everyone close in thought and prayer. You and Mr. 57 stay as safe as can be, k? {{{{{57}}}}}

• 110 57andfemale
                January 21, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Thanks, girlfriend. We are seriously sick of winter and there appears to be no end in sight. There are people in their thirties living in Chicago who have never experienced a winter like this. I was a whole lot younger lo those many years ago. This is no fun.

How are you doing, MP?

{{{{{MP}}}}}}

• 111 57andfemale
            January 21, 2014 at 1:25 pm

I’ll add one more: the arts would as important and revered as sports.

35. January 21, 2014 at 12:46 pm

That top photo of PBO looking back over the crowd is my absolute fav – thanks! And then further down we can see the crowd shot that he was looking at, once last time. :-) I’m sure glad today’s big snow event was not on this day last year during his inauguration.

36. 118 GGail
    January 21, 2014 at 12:49 pm

It’s either my eyes are playing tricks on me or FLOTUS is dunking bare foot in that GIF! She is just toooooo cool to be the First Lady of these United States!!!

37. 120 Bobfr (aka Our4thEstate)
    January 21, 2014 at 1:03 pm
  38. 121 dotster3
    January 21, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Yikes—-hope they are able to avert another potential environmental disaster…

39. January 21, 2014 at 1:35 pm

This is what compassion looks like:

40. 123 Linda
    January 21, 2014 at 1:58 pm

CNN just teased Flotus 50 second video…..

Are they serious ?

41. 125 donna dem 4 obama
    January 21, 2014 at 2:16 pm

Heading home from work….cuz the weather outside is frightful. I guess we’re in for a real honest to goodness snow storm. We DC folks don’t do snow very well. ;)