Jan

The President Speaks Some Hard Truths

remnick-obama-tapes

David Remnick: The Obama Tapes

On Robert Gates

“What I do believe is true, not just for Bob Gates and this National Security Council but for every national-security team in every modern White House, is that there is going to be some back and forth and give-and-take between Cabinet secretaries and White House staff. And the criteria that I imposed throughout my first term, and will continue to insist on in my second term, is: Are we getting it right? Even if it’s messy, even if sometimes folks are frustrated, even if the conversations get heated—in the end of the day, are we putting forward the best possible policies to secure this country, and protect our troops, and make sure that if we send them on a mission it’s the right mission and they’ve got the tools they need to succeed?

BYQ_dQICUAE4eeu.jpg-large

“And I think my understanding, at least, is that Robert Gates acknowledged that at the end of the day, in a very difficult circumstance, we made the right decisions and oftentimes ignored political expedience to do so. And that’s ultimately how I’m going to measure success, and, hopefully, how history measures success.

“The one thing—and I said this publicly, so you could probably get a transcript of this, when I was in a bilateral with the Spanish President—the one thing I did say, getting to my motivations or body language in some of these meetings, is that war should be hard for everybody involved, that you should be asking tough questions at all times—most of all, of yourself. And that, if you are not asking difficult questions of yourself and your team, then you can end up with bad policy that hurts the national interest and that, in my mind, is a betrayal of those young men and women who I’m putting in harm’s way.”

11665041405_ce19f9df1d_b

On Republicans

“There have been times where I’ve been constrained by the fact that I had two young daughters who I wanted to spend time with, and that I wasn’t in a position to work the social scene in Washington. But having said all that, on fundamental issues like getting Republicans to raise taxes or eliminate loopholes, or getting Democrats to consider reforms to entitlement programs, what matters is the makeup of their districts and their electorates, and I think probably, just from a purely political point of view, the bigger challenge that I’ve had has to do with the fact that there is a core group of Republican House members in particular who know that I lost their districts by twenty-five or thirty points, and that there is a Republican base of voters for whom compromise with me is a betrayal. And that—more than anything, I think—has been the challenge that I’ve needed to overcome. “Another way of putting it, I guess, is that the issue has been the inability of my message to penetrate the Republican base so that they feel persuaded that I’m not the caricature that you see on Fox News or Rush Limbaugh, but I’m somebody who is interested in solving problems

BWp-zw6CYAAAUXm.jpg-large

when it comes to Democrats, the truth of the matter is, with fairly thin margins over the last five years, what’s been remarkable is the degree to which Democrats have been unified and worked with this Administration to accomplish some big things, even when there were a lot of political risks involved. And I’d like to think that part of that is because the Democrats up on Capitol Hill that I have relationships with know that the things I’m fighting for are things they care deeply about, and that I have a genuine commitment to seeing them succeed. You haven’t seen me, I think, go out of my way to play against Democrats on the Hill. But I’ve tried to be supportive of them in every way that I can.”

BexihmnIAAAybsC.jpg-large

@thestustein

On Foreign Policy

“My working premise, what I believe in my gut, is that America has been an enormous force for good in the world, and that if you look at the ledger and you say, What have we gotten right and what have we gotten wrong, on balance, we have helped to promote greater freedom and greater prosperity for more people, and been willing, as I think I said to you earlier, to advance causes even if they weren’t in our narrow self-interest in a way that you’ve never seen any dominant power do in the history of the world.

“And so, to apologize for certain historic events out of context, I think, wouldn’t be telling an accurate story. On the other hand, I do think that part of effective diplomacy, part of America maintaining its influence in a world in which we remain the one indispensable power, but in which you’ve got a much more multipolar environment, is for other people to know that we understand their stories as well, and that we can see how they have come to certain conclusions or understandings about their history, their economies, the conflicts they’ve suffered. Because, if they think we understand their frame of reference, then they’re more likely to listen to us and to work with us.

More here

156 Responses to “The President Speaks Some Hard Truths”

1. January 24, 2014 at 5:01 pm

2. 3 Cindy
    January 24, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Sad news;

Ed S. just reported, as of today, 1.6 million families have lost their unemployment income.

The media is worried about how drunk was the beeb……go figure.

• 4 jackiegrumbacher
      January 24, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Yes, Cindy, and when I called to complain to my R congressman, I got a condescending letter telling me how Congress needs to be careful not to enable people to just accepting long-term unemployment. He then said that we needed to expand jobs, which would come about if we build the pipeline. It is unhealthy for my blood pressure to even acknowledge that this fatuous ass is he’s my congressman, let alone suffer his brainless, right wing e-mails.

• 5 Cindy
        January 24, 2014 at 5:41 pm

This is just down right sickening, that they have this way of thinking, and it only happens because they have never wanted for anything; empty selfish shells with no souls.

They don’t know what it feels like to choose who will eat; the parent or the child. Well, I could tell these slime balls what it feels like. Maybe one day, sooner rather than later, one or more of the pathetic, hateful, selfish a_ _ holes will have this experience.

• 6 jackiegrumbacher
          January 24, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Cindy, they have no idea whatsoever what it is like to walk in someone else’s shoes. Cruel, heartless and self-righteous is what they are, or, in other words, SCUM.

• January 24, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Sounds much Ike what I get from my reps…….any or all three. Evil people

• 8 99ts
        January 24, 2014 at 8:43 pm

What is incomprehensible – they are starving people to death – making them homeless – and appear to have no guilt associated with such actions. I hope PBO calls them out at the SOTU

As for the media – GOP enablers – hating on the poor is in their blood.

3. 18 MightyPamela
    January 24, 2014 at 5:09 pm

Furst?

4. January 24, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Good one, LL. Exactly.
    On the president’s remarks: what can one say that hasn’t been said here about him so many times? The greatest president of my lifetime. When I read or hear him my mind cannot comprehend people who don’t understand what a gift we’ve been given, even if they don’t agree with all of his policies. I want to shake them till their teeth rattle and ram sanity down their throats. I’m sure President Obama would not approve of these sentiments and it is amazing to me and proof of how extraordinary he is that he can deal with that on a daily basis and somehow convey his own centered-ness to the people around him to keep them pushing forward too. His own secure center allows others space to develop themselves. What. A. Man.

• 20 jackiegrumbacher
      January 24, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Maryl1, he is a remarkable man and an extraordinary leader and all of us–whether some appreciate it or not–are blessed to have him. It is a joy just to listen to him and I feel that we all get smarter every time he speaks. Those of shallow mind who live through these years and accept cartoonish ideas of this great man do them selves a grave disservice. We will not as a country know a president as magnificent as this for probably the rest of this century.

• January 24, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I agree; he will not be fully appreciated for many years. What just stuns me repeatedly is his honesty, integrity, and consistency every time he speaks. How some people cannot see this I don’t know. However, I also think there are more people that ‘get it’ to at least some degree, than don’t.

5. January 24, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Nice try Chips….Congrats on first LL Thanks for the post Nerdy Wonka

6. 24 Cindy
    January 24, 2014 at 5:14 pm

My favorite picture with President Obama and orange man…..

No, no Boner, it really is okay. Don’t cry-I love you man; I got enemies too, it will be alright-just work with me.

7. 25 Nerdy Wonka
    January 24, 2014 at 5:19 pm

8. January 24, 2014 at 5:20 pm

9. January 24, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I’m so glad Remnick decided to release this coda. I absolutely love these remarks.

10. January 24, 2014 at 5:20 pm

• January 24, 2014 at 5:35 pm

I hope that our President and the Pope have the opportunity for a lengthy discussion in March.

They share the gift of unlimited empathy, and they are in positions to make a true difference in people’s lives around the globe.

I saw that dotster3 adheres to the separation of Church and State, but wasn’t POTUS greeted by Pope Benedict on an earlier European excursion? So this visit isn’t setting a precedent, it’s allowing both the Pope and PBO to discuss issues important to the 99% (notice I omit the 1% from the effects of climate change — they have the resources to pick up and move whatever paradise suits themselves and their cronies).

• January 24, 2014 at 5:45 pm

I think they will make ample time to discuss their values and mutual interest in these issues and search for ways to effectively help those in need.

I don’t see this meeting as a violation of church and state. They are two heads of state meeting to discuss global issues of mutual concern on the global stage. The Pope will not have any influence on government policy and will not be appointed to position. POTUS honors and respects all religions in a range of White House events and I don’t see it affecting our government in a negative way. So I respectfully disagree that this diminishes the importance of separation of church and state.

11. January 24, 2014 at 5:21 pm

12. 44 Vicki
    January 24, 2014 at 5:25 pm

The President Who Is Ours Now, is quite a remarkable human being. God willing he will be our leader for 3 more years.
    The Maybe? President Who Knows and her supporters need to get smarter.

Governor Granholm has a right to her affiliations but I wish the next time she is in front of a microphone and cameras the ex-Governor can talk about The President Who Is Ours Now and his accomplishments. Let me suggest the rescue of the Auto Industry in her state or how many Michiganders now have their health needs met.
    Instead of the peppy ex-Gov hyperventilating about Maybe? Pres Who knows?.

Jim Messina? WTF SMH

13. 45 JER
    January 24, 2014 at 5:25 pm

• January 24, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Thank God.

I hated the Terry Shiavo case when Bush intervened.

The husband is following the wife’s wishes.

I really wish people would mind their own business when it comes to such a personal and traumatic decision.

• 49 Nerdy Wonka
      January 24, 2014 at 5:31 pm

The fetus wasn’t viable, the family didn’t want her kept in such a torturous manner, and they were treating the woman like all she is, is an incubator. It was horrific. If someone is brain dead, let the person go in peace.

• 50 Cindy
        January 24, 2014 at 6:17 pm

This also comes under Estate Planning, so many families believe that you have to be rich to do Planning. A “Living Will” would help to resolve some of these issues. I had to make that dreadful decision when my dad was near the end. He did not have a “Living Will.” The doctors asked me; Cindy, what would your father want you to do (50% chance surviving bile obstruction surgery)? This was so hard; hold on because he was my dad, or let go because I knew that he would not want to live in a state of helplessness, that wasn’t promised to be better. I could not allow them to keep cutting and I knew my daddy; tall, handsome, self sufficient and proud. He would never want that. So I made the decision, and I held my dad in my arms until the end-I was with him and I know that some how he knew that I was there.

It doesn’t cost a lot to do some planning, and it saves so many, from going through the heart aches of holding on.

• 51 99ts
          January 24, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Texas law appears to overwrite ANYTHING Cindy. They cared NIL for the woman – it was all to do with a non viable fetus.

• 52 MightyPamela
      January 24, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Thank you, merciful Lord. Is there a link. Some of us were praying for her and the baby a few nights ago.

• 53 JER
      January 24, 2014 at 5:42 pm

• January 24, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I hope that they don’t charge the husband for that woman’s care for those many weeks.

Where should a line be drawn in a situation like this? I would draw it much later. Perhaps if this was 30 weeks, maybe an exception would allow a baby to go to near term. But then after a certain point, the baby can be removed and brought to term in an incubator.

• 55 99ts
          January 24, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Of course they will – the horror of US health care – look after the dead and who cares about the living.

• January 25, 2014 at 8:46 am

And the massive charge will prolong the suffering-by putting financial burdens that make it difficult for the husband to bury his wife, start over, and take care of his remaining kid. And it wasn’t his decision to continue this mess in the first place. In these cases where the hospital makes the decisiion, they should be required to write off these expenses.

14. January 24, 2014 at 5:28 pm

NYT headline reads: [In Davos,] “Russia Plans to Extend Snowden Asylum, Lawmaker Says”

15. 59 MightyPamela
    January 24, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Some may not care to hear this: today in Seattle, springtime is on!! (so eff’ing weird, but beautiful!)

• 60 jackiegrumbacher
      January 24, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Oh, MP, you are breaking my heart. Today, I read a line in a Donna Leon novel that said, “January has not been kind to us..” I would say this January has not only been unkind, but borderline cruel.

• January 24, 2014 at 5:42 pm

MP,

Check your calendar.

Springtime in January in the continental US is NOT right.

If the jet stream has abandoned North America, the polar vortex phenomenon will be common in future winters, and drought will creep north to what Joel Garreau referred to as “Ecotopia” (because of abundant life-giving water) in his book, “The Nine Nations of North America.”

I’m praying that the jet stream returns next year.

• January 24, 2014 at 5:59 pm

I was watching local news, and the weather man gave an indication that the jet stream might return to somewhat normal in February. We shall see.

• January 24, 2014 at 6:03 pm

And just checked Accuweather. Its longterm forecast shows rain beginning in Feb. God, I hope so.

• January 24, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Great news! I hope it happens.

In Mar 1991 (from memory, might have 1992) the skies opened up in the SFValley where I worked. Colleagues and I stood literally agape to see actual SHEETS of rain falling. People driving reported that pedestrians with umbrellas used them to shield themselves from the cars, not overhead. This was when dramatic footage of people stuck atop cars at the Valley’s lowest point (Balboa & Woodley) getting rescued by helicopters. Colleagues who lived in east of that intersection and in the West LA area said it took them 4 hours to get home.

Then in late 1990s, I worked mostly with a group in Seattle. We had a lot of rain during that period, and whenever I mentioned it was raining, the Seattle folks responded, “It’s sunny here!”

Went to Joshua Tree NP in April 1997 (or 1998) which had the most spectacular wildfire display ever. The desert was literally carpeted with gorgeous flowers in all hues of the flower spectrum. Just gorgeous.

16. January 24, 2014 at 5:33 pm

• 67 Vicki
      January 24, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Disagree with this take, LL. The triple response is a plot not a joke. I expound on this theory down thread.

• January 24, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Well, as with many of my tweets, my tongue is somewhat in my cheek. But there is an underlying truth. The fact is that the Right is giving 3 different responses (official, TP, and Rand Paul) because it is, in fact, split that way. The only response which will get much air time is the official one. The TP might get a blurb or two, while Rand Paul will probably be covered only by Glenn Beck’s Blaze.

And it doesn’t matter that they give 3 responses in an effort to drown out PBO. His speech will still be the one talked about most, as it’s the only one which matters.

January 24, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Oh, that made me laugh, LL. The bullshit’s going into overtime.

• 70 MightyPamela
      January 24, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Change ‘separate’ to ‘desparate’… They will all fail. BUT!! Let us encourage them to keep right in talking, and pray people really hear what is being said.

17. 71 Linda
    January 24, 2014 at 5:41 pm

AP Tells George Zimmerman To Quit Using Its Photo For His Painting

The Associated Press has sent a cease-and-desist letter to George Zimmerman’s attorney, arguing a painting he released of the special prosecutor who charged him with the murder of Trayvon Martin was copied directly from an AP photo.

“George Zimmerman clearly directly copied an AP photo to create his painting of Florida State Attorney Angela Corey,” the AP’s Director of Media Relations, Paul Colford, told TPM Friday in an e-mailed statement. “The AP has sent a cease-and-desist letter asserting its copyright in the photo to the lawyer who recently represented Zimmerman. That lawyer has responded, and though she no longer represents Mr. Zimmerman, she will be forwarding the letter to him today.”

18. January 24, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Is anyone having issues with Twitter, or is my internet at work just sucky?

19. 76 jackiegrumbacher
    January 24, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Just want to say that when PBO says in the interview that he wants to be sure that if he is sending troops into harms way, “it’s the right mission and they have the tools to succeed” that these are words that the president’s predecessor probably never thought, let alone uttered in eight years. The president, more than anyone since Eisenhower, knows what it really means to be Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces and the deep responsibility it carries with it for the safety of America’s Armed Forces. This kind of responsibility on the part of the CIC is what every member of those Armed Forces deserves.

20. January 24, 2014 at 5:53 pm

THE FREAKING COOLEST THING EVERRRRRR

21. 78 Cindy
    January 24, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Oh no,

Ed S. is loose again; says that the President have the opportunity to speak to the positive side about NAFTA. Ed says he can’t do it because the President knows that jobs are going to be shipped overseas. If the President is adamant about TPP he should talk about it on Tuesday.

Ed S. , please allow President Obama to be President!!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!

22. 80 Linda
    January 24, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Ha …Rev Al on What the Huckabee

” Living Libido Loca “

23. January 24, 2014 at 6:06 pm

24. 86 Nena20409
    January 24, 2014 at 6:10 pm

1-24-14 Jay “Clark Kent” Carney’s Presser

Starting 4 mins In:

25. 87 Nena20409
    January 24, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Pope Francis is reported to Be Coming to America in 2015.

• 88 LDS
      January 24, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Nena, my prayer is that he goes straight to the WH.
      POB and THIS Pope, what a grand entrance and exit for us all!

Thank you, God. We hear you(that is some of us…Repugs, I am not sure)

26. 89 LDS
    January 24, 2014 at 6:13 pm

My,my, my……
    I step out for a few minutes to get some NY air and there is a Marvin Gaye concert going on! How am I suppose to catch? I will probably listen to this song all weekend. Cindy and Gazelle thanks for the shout out on the last post. When you lurk you miss a lot of one-on-one talk. While out I walked to 125th Street in Harlem. I discovered Sunday will be 80 years for the famous Apollo Theatre, Harlem’s Jewel. I plan to be there, of course.Such much history.

I discovered that Ella Fitzgerald was supposed to come out on stage with a dance routine of her own,but got scarred. Ralph Cooper asked her “What else could you do?” She said, “Well, I can sing a little.” And the rest is history. I forgot that then Sen. Barack Obama on Nov. 29, 2007 campaigned at the Apollo during his 2008 presidential bid. Stage stars are too enormous to list.

Happy 80th To The Apollo!

• January 24, 2014 at 6:25 pm

LDS, Vicki, and others in the NYC area:

Carrie Mae Weems Charts the Black Experience in Photographs

• January 24, 2014 at 6:29 pm

That is so beautiful, Arapaho415.

• January 24, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Strikingly gorgeous. Caught my eye when I was reading an article about “The Little Prince” at 70.

Love seeing artists from outside the white elite experience. Deepens the artistic experience for the viewer.

• 93 LDS
        January 24, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Thank you! I will definitely check this out this week. I love museums.
        I remember when I saw the movie “Dressed To Kill” it took me a while to go alone.
        Just ONE of the reasons I love NYC……so many museums to walk in and out on any given day.

• 94 Cindy
      January 24, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Heeeyyy LDS,

Fresh air is good for the soul. The Apollo Theatre has such rich and beautiful history. I don’t know why but I enjoyed Ella F. at a young age and followed her music for years, and took a liking to jazz.

Marvin Gaye is my main man of music; his songs tell a story if you listen to the words. He was so awesome, and he was our love in the 70s during our high school years. “Distant Lover” drove everyone insane. Ahhhhhh……..those were the years that music had a way of touching your heart in the deepest and darkest days of America. His music will live forever.

Have you heard him sing the Star-Spangled Banner at the 1983 All Star NBA game? My, my, my…… what a delicious treat, the man was born with rhythm.

• 95 LDS
        January 24, 2014 at 6:54 pm

Cindy, now you just made my night!
        How can I forget “After The Dance” by Marin Gaye.with Ernie Barnes painting as the album cover.
        He also did the paintings for “Good Times”

Hey, I wonder if that Huckabee dude ever heard “Sexual Healing” by Marvin Gaye?

• 96 Cindy
          January 24, 2014 at 7:04 pm

That painting was awesome. Huckabye-bye has probably heard and performed his business by it…if you know what I mean : )

27. 97 Nena20409
    January 24, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Thurgood Marshall died on Jan 24th, 1993. He left the SCOTUS in 1991. GHW Bush appointed Clarence Thomas as Justice Marshall’s replacement.

28. 98 Vicki
    January 24, 2014 at 6:31 pm

So the GOP/TP/Libertarian wing will each give their responses to SOTU ?????
    This is at best a gimmick to use up the oxygen and deny POTUS as much of Prime Time discussion as they can.
    At worst, it is another form of coup d’etat. GOP/TP knows they are unlikely to be in the WH this century so bit by bit they are looking to dismantle the Office.

It is easy to dismiss the three responses as an amusing bit of repub divisions and dysfunction.
    In my view, that is a mistake.
    It is a strategy to rob PBO and his office of the traditional respect and majesty of the State of The Union evening.
    A strategy. or in popular parlance it is a feature, not a bug.

Anybody think this is too sinister and the GOP stumbled into 3 speeches by accident or repub competitiveness? I’d really like to know what TOD thinks.

• January 24, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Well, the question will be which responses will the networks carry. If I recall, there’ve been TP responses for the past couple of years, and they’re not broadcast. Only the official GOP response is. And Rand Paul? Pfft.

• 100 Vicki
        January 24, 2014 at 6:43 pm

The first year only CNN broadcast Michelle Bachmann. But it was the giant topic, nevertheless. I think all networks broadcast Rand Paul.

The President has the ability to strategize as well and perhaps he will. he can do a “Bill Clinton” and go off script to make some important remarks, for example. We will see.

• 102 99ts
      January 24, 2014 at 7:27 pm

No-one who as responded to PBO has seen any benefit from their speeches – quite the opposite. They can send in a dozen – well – they do that every day – and they still lose.

I think it was entirely a stumble into 3 speeches – the fools can’t even agree on who should make their reply speech – nothing sinister – that is done well outside of those who reply to the SOTU speech.

29. 103 4morefor44
    January 24, 2014 at 6:36 pm

i remember leaving a comment here a month or two ago, when ed schultz was saying some good things about president obama, that just wait and he’ll be back to bashing president obama incoherently just in time for the midterms. he did the same in 2010. he tries to earn trust among liberals when the chips aren’t on the line, yet time and time again leading up to when it really counts, meaning before elections, he’ll start on what he’s really paid to do, and that is prevent liberals from winning elections.

i see cindy’s comment above, and some others in recent days, that he’s beginning it again. please people, don’t be fooled by ed schultz anymore. he’s not on our side, and by side, i mean president obama’s side. fact.

• 104 Cindy
      January 24, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Good evening 4morefor44,
      I hope you are having a wonderful Friday.

I so agree with you. Ed S. was on my _ _ _ _ list when he sat there, day in and day out and told Americans to stay home and not vote. He had a platform and used it against President Obama. He complains now, rightfully so, about how families are suffering but he helped make it possible because people were listening to him, and the repukes gained footage in 2010, and life has been hell ever since.

He is just as responsible for the Congress that President Obama ended up with as the repukes are. When he starts bashing the President, in his arrogance, he calls him Barack Obama; doing just as morning jokester and his crew does every morning to show disrespect. I don’t care for him one bit. Now, he is on this NAFTA/TPP rant, and spent the entire show last week, bashing President Obama. The problem with so many Dems, they listen and then they stay at home.

President Obama needs to have the Senate and Congress in order to carry out his agenda, and good old whining puff ball Ed is telling the viewers that President Obama is not being honest with the American people-he’s hiding stuff about the TPP.

This is how Dems lose.

• 105 Layla
        January 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

is anyone offering pushback via twitter…

• 106 Cindy
          January 24, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Hey Layla,

I don’t know but I sure hope so. This is not the time for Ed’s BS…..I am just sick of him. I am sending him a letter tomorrow.

• 107 bonkers
        January 24, 2014 at 7:33 pm

see, i think ed and so many of the others like him know exactly what they’re doing, and they are doing it ON PURPOSE. does ed ever talk about the incredible improvements to american manufacturing which president obama has led through very direct and new policies to encourage companies to move jobs back from china and similar countries? articles like this are a good example:

and notice how even in that article, they do their best to take these accomplishments away from our president. the middle literally says it’s improving “in spite of president obama” yet by the end of the article, we see the mention of the very specific and unusual things president obama is doing to get this result. president obama and democrats in general must never be given credit for making peoples lives better in the eyes of the media owners, and ed schultz is paid to do exactly that – diminish support for president obama. that simple.

• 109 Obama Grandmama
      January 25, 2014 at 12:58 am

Remember that saying GWB goofed up? Fool me once shame on them, fool me twice shame on me. Meaning the second time around I should have gained some insight from the first time around. It is like Lucy continually pulling the football away. Ed fouled us up the first midterm by telling voters not to vote. His doing it again makes one think he is a Republican plant sent to gain trust then sabotage our party from the inside. The result is very much like those GOP legislators enacting voting IDs and other obstacles to voting.

30. January 24, 2014 at 6:38 pm

But, not to downplay Vicki’s concerns. We have batshit crazy people in this country. Case in point:

• 111 Layla
      January 24, 2014 at 6:49 pm

OMG!!!! I have such bad things to say but I will refrain…..

January 24, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Just look into her eyes, and you’ll see how totally brainwashed she is. Eek. #Stepford

• 113 LDS
        January 24, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Layla, let me say it for you:
        Let this dumb twit spend jail time with the rapist since she is so concerned.
        Why is this any concern of hers? If she was raped, I would like to see what she would do.

January 24, 2014 at 6:55 pm

How does your state rank on the “Most Corrupt” scale??? A D plus was too generous for AZ.

January 24, 2014 at 7:01 pm

January 24, 2014 at 7:16 pm

34. January 24, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Howdy O’s!!! Wassup on this great getting up day on TODdytown!!!!????

So enough of Mike Knuckleberry Hound, Chris ‘Cry Me a River (under the bridge)’ Christie, Old McDowell Bought the Farm, and the SOTU Worst Responders

This just in…..FLOTUS will appear as a guest during the first week of Jimmy Fallon’s new show that starts in February.
    I see some dancing in the works.

35. January 24, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Eloquence and thoughtfulness at its very best. What a remarkable man, PBO.

36. 123 99ts
    January 24, 2014 at 7:23 pm

GM from my world – wow all the good news appears after I go to sleep – I’m still catching up about 3 threads back but some joy to the ears

Pennsylvania Man Confronts His Governor For Refusing To Expand Medicaid: ‘How Many People Have To Die?’
    drip drip drip – they will HAVE to accept it eentually

Port Authority Refuses To Pay Christie Pal’s Legal Bills
    So will someone else pay the legal bills – or will he start to tell the real story – a deal or immunity? Has Christie lost his power at the PA? What about his other friends there – will they get their bills paid

Texas court orders brain-dead pregnant woman off life support
    A little sanity by a Texas Judge

Californian GOP in tatters – may be some new democratic seats in the house as a byproduct of Gov Brown support

No link – not worth reading more – but Romney seems to still have foot in mouth disease – he should really shut up about the Olympic Games and anyone connected with same.

And the wonderful Michelle Obama – keeps doing all that is good for the Children of America
    Subway Partners With Michelle Obama To Take On Childhood Obesity

No doubt lots more – I’ll step back a thread or two

37. January 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

38. January 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm

On Syria …

January 24, 2014 at 7:28 pm

40. 135 yardarm756
    January 24, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Trying to do some stuff here. I hope it comes out.

January 24, 2014 at 7:30 pm

42. 144 bonkers
    January 24, 2014 at 7:37 pm

not sure if anyone remembers, but i used to comment here, but still read it a lot. life/job take up so much time now, but I did get my better half to read here, so i stay up on what’s happening here. thanks to you all for continuing to fight the good fight! onward and upward, damas y caballeros!!

43. 149 99ts
    January 24, 2014 at 7:37 pm

OK – More Breaking News – Nerdy Wonka (the star previously known as UTAL) – has emanated Ms Chips by posting first on blog – after decrying the act as bad bad bad – I am in shock. Dows a winning football team make its supporters invincible!

I am shocked! This is no longer a democracy – then again, was it ever that way inclined.

• 150 Nerdy Wonka
      January 24, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I refute! I disagree! I didn’t claim “first,” I broke very important Jay Carney news, and I gave CanadaBarb a prize for being the true first. How dare you compare my generous actions to Chipsticks cheating ways? :D

• 151 99ts
        January 24, 2014 at 7:55 pm

First on TOD is sacred – Jay Carney indeed – now if it had been Justin Bieber – well that is breaking news.

I am not convinced :)

January 24, 2014 at 7:39 pm

45. 154 dotster3
    January 24, 2014 at 7:40 pm

I see the student shot at today’s school shooting, at S.C. St. U. has died——looking for 4 suspects.

January 24, 2014 at 7:56 pm

Thanks ut for posting excerpts from the Remnick interview and associated link. I couldn’t help but note that ALL of the comments under the New Yorker article are negative towards the President. I wonder whether there is some censoring going on from the magazine editorial board – or if these posters are paid trolls who targeted this particular article, fearing it would put PBO in a good light. Something smells to high heaven about these comments. They are not a random sampling.

RSS OFA