Jan

The President’s Fiscal Record

barack-obama-terry-richardson-1

Paul Krugman: Obama And The One Percent

Another week, another outburst by a one-percenter comparing progressive taxation to Nazi atrocities. Anyway, thinking about this sort of thing makes me realize that there’s a danger, especially for progressives, of confusing the proposition that Obama’s billionaire haters are stark raving mad — which is true — with the proposition that Obama has done nothing that hurts the plutocrats’ interests, which is false. Actually, Obama has been tougher on the one percent than most progressives give him credit for.

012614krugman2-blog480

Start with taxes. The Bush tax cuts haven’t gone completely away, but at the very high end they have been pretty much reversed; plus there are additional high-end taxes associated with Obamacare. The result is that taxes on wealthy Americans have basically been rolled back to pre-Reagan levels. No, Obama isn’t Hitler; but he is turning out to be a little bit of FDR, after all.

More here

BeRv-7BIQAAXi8e.jpg-large

Perfect response to Krugman’s piece by a commenter named John

Nice to see you giving a bit of credit to the president and his team for a change. Yes he’s gradually pushed the top rates back to pre Reagan levels and he’s done it largely by stealth. It also needs to be pointed out that, despite all the endless hyperventilating, Federal spending levels IN REAL TERMS is 50% higher than it was when Clinton was in office in 2000. Partly this is a consequence of the war in Afghanistan but quite a lot of it is goodies handed out by Bush as cover for his tax cuts. In fact in overall terms Obama has been very effective at protecting overall federal spending despite a relentless assault. In a way the Republicans have reason to be ticked. When Obama leave office his progressive credentials are going to be looking pretty good even if the far left are disappointed that paradise has been postponed yet again.

Turning to Kristallnacht Perkins, you do have to wonder what the WSJ was thinking. I’ve seen lots of loopy letters there over the years but this was a beaut. Since it’s a conservative own goal, I suspect the letters editor will be getting bawled out by Gigot. How unfortunate.

Bdu-PONCAAEkN7F.jpg-large

103 Responses to “The President’s Fiscal Record”

1. 1 Nena20409
    January 26, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Hello TOD.

Love that Picture of the POTUS. That is just lovely.

Great Post.

So sorry for Rafael Nadal Perara’s Loss today. Poor guy and he was in such Pain.

2. January 26, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Thank yooooooooou Nerdy!!!

3. 4 Nena20409
    January 26, 2014 at 2:10 pm

The POTUS Pic looks like he was about 32 or 34 yrs old.

January 26, 2014 at 2:23 pm

So once again, the CBC is advertising it’s utter uselessness and why we need term limits for everyone.

• January 26, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Oh for *** sake! Screw them, fools.

January 26, 2014 at 2:34 pm

The hill describes the CBC as one of PBO’s “staunchest allies?” Really? Reeeaaaaalllly?

Well, either I do not know the meaning of “staunch” or “ally” or the Hill is FULL OF BULL. Something tells me that it’s the latter….

• January 26, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Methinks you’re spot on Hopefruit, sometimes when I looked at The Hill – which isn’t very often – it makes Politico seem impartial.

• 10 africa
          January 26, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Spot on HF!!

Same old crap worn over. CBC has been more folly than ally, if you ask me. I want to see them all run to the microphone one day to speak on behalf of the president, instead of breaking their necks to whine when producers book them on TV. Pftttt.

• 11 nospin
        January 26, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Chips, the CBC will never learn.

Lucky for them nobody is listening. As long as they stay in their lane, there will be no talks of snatching wigs or bedroom slippers. :-)

January 26, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I actually disagree on the term limit issue. The CBC obviously has lost its collective mind here, but rather than term limits I think we need an engaged and informed citizenry. Term limits would time out excellent legislators and that would be very unfair and unwise. What we need, is to have an informed electorate so that we won’t end up with the bad ones in the first place!

January 26, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Point well taken df, but I tend to think that the few good ones who we would lose via term limits are not equivalent to the scores of bad ones we retain from lack of term limits. Many people go to congress not to do the people’s work but to get a steady gov’t paycheck while courting lobbyists and having “access” to society’s political elite. The few who actually go there to do the people’s work usually accomplish a fair amount in 8-12 years.

Perhaps a modified version of the term limits could be applied with a set of standard rules to maximize retention of the good ones while weeding out the bad ones.

• 14 debz
      January 26, 2014 at 3:08 pm

They are positioning themselves for the next Clinton presidency. I suppose they plan on getting Hillary elected by reliving the “08 election and attacking POTUS. What fools they are.

• 15 Don
        January 26, 2014 at 3:23 pm

The only thing Bill did was come around and sing old Negro spirituals and schmooze, and they fell in love with him. Never mind that Bill threw gay couples and gay military members under the bus, never mind that Bill didn’t do a goddamn thing for the black farmers, never mind that Bill Clinton to this day will tries to undermine President Obama. The CBC’s pathology is very simple, Bill and Hillary could do no wrong but Barack Obama must grovel for their acceptance.

• 16 Don
      January 26, 2014 at 3:12 pm

I guess some in the CBC didn’t get invited to Michelle’s Birfday party and were mad that they didn’t get the chance to wear their linens and their gators.

• 18 jackiegrumbacher
      January 26, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Hf, they are all worthless and a total waste of time. There are VITAL issues to address, like extending UI, actually passing a jobs bill, immigration reform AND we have elections to win in 2014, so what do they do? Undermine it all with a swipe at the president. I hope the WH tells them what they can do with their “rebuke.”

• 19 99ts
      January 26, 2014 at 6:50 pm

The media & the GOP have run out of reasons to attack PBO – nothing they throw sticks – they look for anything that might stop them looking so stupid. Next week they’ll be attacking the CBC and calling it racist.

5. 20 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    January 26, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Good afternoon, TOD!

January 26, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Asshole. amk needs to weigh in on this….. http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014/01/26/3205861/pharmaceutical-ceo-cancer-drug-westerners-afford/

In 2005, the FDA granted approval for a promising new cancer-fighting drug called Nexavar. Bayer took it to market shortly thereafter, and it is currently an approved treatment for late-stage kidney and liver cancer.
    That is, so long as you live in the developed world. In a recently published interview in Bloomberg Businessweek, Bayer CEO Marijn Dekkers said that his company’s drug isn’t for poor people.

“We did not develop this medicine for Indians…we developed it for western patients who can afford it,” he said back in December. The quote is quickly making its way across Indian news outlets.

• 22 MightyPamela
      January 26, 2014 at 3:11 pm

We must wonder if the drug is actually being manufactured in India, right?? So Bayer CEO can pay himself more bonus $$.

• 24 jackiegrumbacher
      January 26, 2014 at 3:59 pm

OMG, df, just when you think all the stupidest things have been said, some idiot comes up with a new one. Bayer needs to dump this guy ASAP. I hope the company wasn’t counting on selling any OTC Bayer products in India because I think they just lost tens of millions of customers.

• 25 MightyPamela
        January 26, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I’m quite happy to boycott them right here in the good ol’ US of A! Come to think of it, I probably have been doing so for a very long time!!

• January 26, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I am glad he was not around when polio was devastating the young and old in this country. This whole medical community and country came together in a short time to wipe out polio in the USA in a short period of time. Young, old, rich, and poor were affected and the vaccine was given away free to every American. I remember getting my polio vaccine in first grade at my pubic school. This asshole needs to be fired. I don’t buy Bayer products and will continue not to buy them.

• 27 99ts
        January 26, 2014 at 6:55 pm

And it happened worldwide – I can still remember lining up in school to receive the “free” vaccine.

When the super wealthy open their mouths most of them come forth with the stupid – good example being Romney. They can’t help themselves attacking the poor – because they are poor. When they lose their jobs because of the stupid (doesn’t happen much) they seem to get the multi million payout – laughing all the way to unemployment.

• 28 amk for obama
      January 26, 2014 at 7:02 pm

These mnc drug companies are pissed because the indian supreme cost called their bs last year on their patents scam.

We have a healthy & growing pharma sector which makes generic drugs for cancer and other diseases that cost a fraction of what these billion dollar mnc’s charge. We are giving them a run for their money in Africa and other Asian markets. They are trying to make money off a literally shrinking pool of population. Great bidness stratergy.

7. 29 Ladyhawke
    January 26, 2014 at 2:58 pm

LOLGOP ‏@LOLGOP 8m

————————————–

The guy who picked Sarah Palin to be president if he died is insufficiently right wing for the Republican Party.

—————————————

8. 30 Anna
    January 26, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Whoa……….I just opened TOD and beautiful brown eyes were looking at me saying , “Good Morning, Anna”. My day is starting out right. Thank you NW

9. 31 whatisworking
    January 26, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Greetings TOD family

I hope to get back to commenting daily but for now am busy with OFA and bringing my blog “back from near death” at the hands of “go daddy”. I am now with blue host and using WordPress. The site is still a bit of a mess but I hope to get the design back in the next few days.

My number 1 priority is to make a web page with resources for the 2014 races that have vulnerable Republicans or Democrats who need our support. I will send a note when I need blog feedback and help in getting the word out.

On a related note, we are deeply into Fellowship season here in Santa Rosa. I have 7. 4 from the Santa Rosa area, 1 in Napa, 1 in Fort Bragg, and my sweet college student from Humboldt State in Arcata. If anyone lives in the Eureka or Arcata area, send me a note, she could use a buddy.
    whatisworking@gmail.com

I am very excited to see all the interest in the Fellowship program.

One final pitch for OFA – GO find a SOTU watch party. We have 4 in my area, Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Fort Bragg and Arcata. I know it is fun to watch with this incredible TOD family but you could do both. Many of the atch parties are in places where there is WIFI so you can sign up, show up and log on. This is great way to show support for Dems in 2014, scare the Republicans, and meet folks who share your passion for the President.

Go to https://my.barackobama.com/page/event/search_simple?source=events-redirect put in your zip code and sign up.

10. 33 Nena20409
    January 26, 2014 at 3:06 pm

Awesome. A tyke’s reaction as he hears sounds for the 1st Time.

It is just Heartwarming. Just Awesome.

• 34 MightyPamela
      January 26, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Good on ya’, Judith! I have a brother who should be celebrating same, but he is too busy freaking out about having to comply with a gubmint he detests. Go figure, eh?

11. January 26, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Reality ….

So be it …

#FORWARD Together

12. 36 Judith Fardig
    January 26, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Hi all and thanks for keeping the news coming. I have been off the grid this weekend celebrating my “Medicare Birthday” with my husband and daughter. Son called in to be part of it virtually. Life is sweet!

• 37 jackiegrumbacher
      January 26, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Congratulations, Judith! It’s a great age with lots of new possibilities ahead of you. If you had a birthday this weekend, then Happy Birthday as well.

• January 26, 2014 at 6:34 pm

helloooo Jackie…

I watched a debate of the DEM candidates for governor today on PGN-TV (the debate took place on Friday) I did not write down the name of the group hosting the debate…I must say it was pretty mundane…and I was losing interest until I noticed that.one of the candidates, Jo Ellen Litz , was being interviewed outside the debate…it seems that she was barred from participating in the debate and she was not happy about it…..she talked about having a grass roots campaign which sparked my interest…check out her website.. http://joellenlitz.com/

tell me what you think….I wonder if she will be invited to the PA Progressive Summit.

• 39 Judith Fardig
        January 26, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Yep – the “special” birthday was yesterday. Thanks!

13. 40 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 3:24 pm

14. January 26, 2014 at 3:32 pm

15. 42 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 3:32 pm

a few points to make about the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC):

– some are old enough to be PBO’s parent but they have long stopped serving the people and just collected their congressional checks;

– the only time they seem to say ANYTHING is to attack PBO, they never support him => so yawns from their constituents who will respond to attacks on PBO that appear unfair;

– still waiting for them to get out and mobilize people about issues that matter to the community they are supposed to represent => guess I will be waiting a veeeeeeeeeeeery looooooooooong time!

– if their constituents trusted and believed that they were supporting PBO, the people would rise up and support them => otherwise most people just ignore them;

– had most African Americans listened to the CBC, PBO would not be POTUS now;

• January 26, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I wonder what Rev Al will say..

.I am often sad when things like this happen…but the relationship between PBO and the leadership of the CBC has often been rocky…..sometimes I think that these kind of outbursts are the just their way of saying take us seriously…sigh…

.there was a time when CBC members were at the forefront of the struggle for racial equality and economic justice…

• 44 globalcitizenlinda
        January 26, 2014 at 6:28 pm

problem is that a number have lost focus on WHY they entered politics in the first place – to serve the people;

others are plain jealousy that PBO has done what they personally couldn’t do;

can you imagine if the CBC had publicly thrown this much stink about the GOP policies that are hurting so many & destroying the socio-economic safety-net?

they only speak up to attack PBO – that is all

• January 26, 2014 at 6:39 pm

my Congressman….Shaka Fattah…has not thrown spitballs at PBO… there are some prominent members who have not done so…..

I agree with you…because if the CBC had talked about the destructive policies of the GOP…they would not get air time

16. 46 Ladyhawke
    January 26, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Christie’s other traffic jam

By Ned Resnikoff

————————————

So why did Christie kill the new tunnel? Ostensibly, he was worried about cost overruns; but an independent inquiry by Congress’ investigative arm found no evidence of the massive price inflation which Christie predicted. To many many of the governor’s critics, the death of the ARC tunnel looks more like a political ploy, crafted to boost his reputation and pocket billions of dollars in construction funds at the expense of New Jersey’s transit system and economic well-being.
    Although the ARC project may be dead and buried, New Jersey may still eventually get its second rail tunnel to New York. Last May, the Department of Transportation offered New York $185 million for a project known as Gateway, which would serve the same needs as ARC. But the project is still not fully funded, and it could be years before construction begins.

——————————————-

Read the entire post here ……

17. 47 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 3:35 pm

18. January 26, 2014 at 3:36 pm

19. 49 mtmarilyn
    January 26, 2014 at 3:36 pm

Good afternoon TOD family. I do appreciate Krugman finally sticking up for this President. I do get tired of his pontificating.

I want to bring peoples attention to a great organization called Bountiful Baskets. It is a volunteer co-op that brings fresh fruits and vegetables to people at a reasonable price. You order on a Monday and get to pick it up on Saturday. You never know what you will get, each Saturday it is different food. This last Saturday I got, 5 lbs potatoes, 1 lb brussell sprouts, 2 avacados, 2 bunches of broccoli, 1 green caulifower, 6 anaheim peppers, 1 head of loose leaf lettuce, 7 tangelos, 2 apple pears, 4 pears, 12 bananas for $15. I was also able to buy 10 lbs (14 large red and yellow) heriloom tomatoes for $12.75. This organization is in most of the western states. You can go to their website http://www.bountifulbaskets.org and find out all about them and see it they are in your area. I highly recommend them. On their website they also have a blog with recipes for what you get.

Have a great Sunday afternoon.

• 50 carolyn
      January 26, 2014 at 4:33 pm

My daughter-in-law near Dallas belongs to such a program. I don’t know if this is the name or not, but with a family of five, this saves them money, and also has made them try vegetables they never would have otherwise. She can also get mixes for cereal mix and home made bread. She orders on Monday too, and picks up on Saturday. I went with her once when we were visiting. It is so efficiently organized too. She says it is saving her money and providing variety.

• 51 mtmarilyn
        January 26, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I believe it is the same group. You get to choose from many items. We are gluten free so we don’t get the breads. Glad to hear other people know about them.

20. 52 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 3:49 pm

just one comment on this – disgusting!!!

21. 64 Vicki
    January 26, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Poor, poor Politico. They report ACA private health insurance sign-ups exceed 3 million but have to say that somehow this is below expectations.

They either don’t get that opposing PBO is sure to be a losing position, or they get it but lack the imagination to contribute anything positive to our countrry.

Media feigned ennui with the SOTU message is a sight to behold. Various opinions holding that this is POTUS’ last chance to do anything.
    POTUS is a lame duck. For f–ks sake. President Obama can go on TV anytime he wants and command a huge audience. Fear and lothing seems to be all MSM has left.

All lies they tell themselves as Repubs to nmake themselves feel better, as Megyn Kelly wold say.

• 65 debz
      January 26, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I saw an ABC news blurb yesterday, saying the SOTU was “make or break” for the President. Do they know that before the days of television, Presidents usually just sent Congress a letter, or even a couple of sentences? The “news” media is useless.

• 66 carolyn
        January 26, 2014 at 5:09 pm

I heard that too on an add for Georgie S.’s invitation to watch the SOTU. Sorry Georgie…your stupid saying it does not make it so.
        That is dumb. Every breath this president takes is “make or break.” Did they say that about GSB’s lie-filled yellow cake from Niger speech!!!

22. 67 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 4:05 pm

AMK brought this to our attention last night but I was just too shocked to respond to these acts of fratricide going on N. Korea;

a head of state who can kill off members his/her family is capable of ANYTHING;

is there any hope for the people of N Korea?

One can only imagine the confusion, suspicion & fear that must be going on in this country;

and to think that some Americans can put themselves at the mercy of this regime as personal visitors – WOW!

23. 68 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 4:26 pm

24. January 26, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Sad, but not surprising to hear MSM attack PBO and SOTU speech.

They don’t give the guy a chance, as if PBO isn’t their president. Disclosure: I’ve watched nearly every SOTU since I’ve been an adult (not always the most convenient thing to do, since it airs at 6 pm on the west coast).

I’ve taken BobFR’s advice and don’t watch much network/cable news (when I have the time, I do try and catch prime time MSNBC without Hayes).

I flipped on the TV this morning, which was set to CNN (I quickly change the channel on Fridays from MSNBC because I hate “Lock Up”). And there was Candy Crowley giving Bill Burton the third degree, asking him to defend the fact that the income inequality gap is the largest it’s been under President Obama.

Really made by blood boil. Hello, Candy? Ever heard of past policies (i.e., eight years of Bush tax cuts, GOP steadfast refusal to let the cuts expire [NOT A TAX HIKE as the MSM lyingly claimed] until a year ago????).

I believe in holding government officials accountable for their policies, but where was MSM pushback on all the actual disasters that happened during GWB adm?

The lame-duck argument is so false and misleads members of the audience who don’t know any better.

Let’s see how much a “lame-duck” PBO is after #Landslide2014!

• 70 Ladyhawke
      January 26, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Ace CNN host Candy Crowley should watch this speech by Senator Schumer. She might learn something about the difficulty of governing with an opposition party that hates the government and an electorate that continues to vote for them when it is against their best interests The media is talking about income inequality because President Obama has been focusing on it This is nothing new for PBO. Clearly Candy has selective amnesia. And it’s interesting that now we have the spectacle of crocodile tears from the GOP on the issue of income inequality — after five years of obstructing any legislation that would help ameliorate income inequality in this country. Interesting …….

Remarks by Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY)

The Rise of the Tea Party and how Progressives can Fight

25. 71 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 4:40 pm

26. 72 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 5:03 pm

27. 76 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 5:47 pm

• 77 Vicki
      January 26, 2014 at 6:24 pm

This plan sounds good to me.
      Extending healthcare to as many people as possible is a goal every decent person can get behind. Stressing decent.
      26 states have now expanded Medicaid. More than 1/2 the states! It will be all states at some point. I am hoping for sooner rather than later.

28. 78 MightyPamela
    January 26, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Do we know the whereabouts of our VC? Have I missed something, or is she practicing to be a lurker?

29. 84 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 6:03 pm

January 26, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Can someone take a look at this and reassure us that it’s just a joke/parody/satire ?

31. January 26, 2014 at 6:35 pm

BREAKING: The NSA spies on foreign companies, according to Snowden. MORE BREAKING: Puppy breath stinks.

32. 89 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 6:42 pm

glad to see these people in NC mobilizing

January 26, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I think I heard of this before, but never watched it … granddaughter warned I might not be able to watch the entire song, and she was right. Perhaps you’ve all seen it; if not, tissue alert.

34. 94 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 6:48 pm

• 95 carolyn
      January 26, 2014 at 7:00 pm

This attitude, leading to these actions, started with Ronald Reagan. He closed mental health facilities in California, and took away funds for help. That action was one that started the increase in homeless people, and the problems for police and social facilities.

January 26, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Ah, yes…St Ronny…. http://guardianlv.com/2012/12/mental-disorders-and-gun-violence-in-the-us-blame-ronald-reagan/

So while Pres. Carter’s attempt to minimize homelessness, and reduce the need for expensive nursing homes to house people with mental disorders, additionally removing them from our jails and prisons, providing additional bed space for real criminals, this theory was lost on Pres. Reagan when he took over in January 1981 from Pres. Carter.

Within 30 days of taking office, Pres. Reagan, in conjunction with the office of budget management, announced it would cut the funding of the National Institute of Mental Health, a division of the National Institute of Health since 1947, formed specifically to deal with these issues. Then in 1982, the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act was created, and the Mental Health Systems Act was merged into it. This dissected the programs into block grants, with less federal money earmarked for the states. The states then exerted discretionary control over the use of the funds, using them as they saw fit, creating the Ronald Reagan concept of “new federalism.”

“Many of our dreams were gone,” wrote Rosalynn Carter in Helping Someone with Mental Illness.”It was a bitter loss.”

From that point forward, the snowball began rolling down the hill. President Reagan had come up with a tax-cut plan to cut individual income taxes by 25% over three years, he had reduced the budget by trimming the fat, as he called it, and the U.S economy started to pick up, and at that point no one dared challenge Pres. Reagan, as his policies seem to be working, dragging us out of a recession that had lasted for almost 10 years.

More at link

35. 97 anniebella
    January 26, 2014 at 7:02 pm

FLOTUS suppose to go out west for a fund raiser which was cancel during the Government shutdown in October. Do anyone know where it is she suppose to go?

36. 98 globalcitizenlinda
    January 26, 2014 at 7:08 pm

any other confirmation of this?

• 99 globalcitizenlinda
      January 26, 2014 at 7:16 pm

could this be the same Al Shabaab leader that was sought by the military team (Seal Team?) last year during the shutdown – one of two missions carried out simultaneously?

that mission to capture him was aborted when either they could not minimize civilian causalities and/or they came under heavy resistance

January 26, 2014 at 7:08 pm

Protests in Ukraine are spreading further outside the capital Kiev, deeper into the Russian-influenced east of the country, say media reports.

Excellent.