Feb

“Opportunity Is Who We Are”

BfHmrp3CAAA8_wj.png-large

Frank Bruni: Obama’s Magic Three

First President Obama recognized Mary Barra, who was in the audience, noting that her childhood wasn’t a gilded one—she wasn’t born into corporate royalty. No, she got there by dint of toil and talent, a factory worker’s daughter rising to become the first female chief executive officer of General Motors. She’s the American dream personified. Then Obama recognized John Boehner, the Speaker of the House, as “the son of a barkeep.” He, too, landed far from where he began. He, too, took the kind of journey that we like to believe is uniquely possible in this country, the fabled land of opportunity.

BfKnm_jCUAAy2fq.jpg-large

But it was also a lens through which the rest of the speech could be heard, and it was the lens through which all of us should be evaluating the policies and direction of our country right now. In paying tribute to Barra, Boehner and Barack Obama, the president was paying tribute to social mobility, and he was correctly defining the chance to better oneself—to travel from the circumstances of one’s birth to the circumstances of one’s merit and labor—as this country’s central and sustaining promise. It’s essential to our national identity. It’s vital to our sense of honor and purpose. It’s the foundation of an optimism that seems to be fading fast. If we let “the American dream” become a storybook phrase, a quaint and saccharine anachronism, no longer broadly evident and no longer widely believed, then we’re in desperate trouble.

BfHr9VDCQAEh8i4.jpg-large

Over the next year and the ones after that, we as a country somehow need to make sure that decades from now, a president delivering his or her State of the Union can survey the spectators and see someone like Barra; can glance back and see someone like Boehner; and can look in the mirror and see someone like the man who bridged Kenya, Kansas and the White House.

More here

BfHK1A0CAAEyQdk.jpg-large

156 Responses to ““Opportunity Is Who We Are””

February 1, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Wonderful! Thanks, NW:)

• 6 Nerdy Wonka
      February 1, 2014 at 8:17 pm

You’re welcome, DF.

February 1, 2014 at 8:21 pm

You deserve many thanks…everyday:) Seem a little slow and quiet to you though? I was outside this afternoon playing with the new tool I bought for myself…a chainsaw on a pole! I’m in love. Really. Great invention.

2. 8 99ts
    February 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Hi NW – when is this super bowl happening? Am I the only one who has no idea?

• 9 Nerdy Wonka
      February 1, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Tomorrow. (Sunday)

• 13 Layla
      February 1, 2014 at 8:17 pm

tomorrow..maybe!

• 15 MightyPamela
      February 1, 2014 at 8:27 pm

{{{{{99ts}}}}}. Not at all, dear! My own team is in the thing, and I have almost no idea when, where, what or why, tho there are notices in all our elevators, and stores have posted signs they are all closing early tomorrow so the employees can go home to watch!! That said, I still have no plans to watch it, but I do hope our guys win! They were in it about 9 years ago, I think, and did not win, so maybe it’s their turn!! I do, however, clearly remember Super Bowl One and Two, as a teenager, and recall having a lot of fun with friends and family watching those!! How things change in 45+ years, eh?? ;) :lol:

• 16 99ts
        February 1, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I was recently thinking how the Olympics were such a big thing in my youth and now – whatever. I hate to admit my autograph book (do people have such a thing?) has signatures of folks in the 1956 Olympics (first in Australia). I even have one from 1952 (I was but a babe) – the time marches on :)

• February 1, 2014 at 8:59 pm

I still feela bout the Olympics the same way I did way back when. I’m thankful I don’t have to wait four years anymore! Ialmost never watch sports on tv but I will watch every event I can! When I lived right in Detroit I could pick up the CBC from Windsor and I would listen to that. They covered many more sports because the US networks only covered events the US had a chance to medal in. Plus they talked non-stop. I’m so glad the second week coincides with my winter break! I have already started talking it up to my class :)

• 18 99ts
            February 1, 2014 at 9:12 pm

The Oz networks are also VERY partisan in what they show – it is disappointing – perhaps why I find little of interest any more.

3. 19 No Child Left Behind
    February 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Good Evening Marlz and Desertflower. Congrats to Marlz!

4. 22 Nerdy Wonka
    February 1, 2014 at 8:15 pm

If there is one thing you read today, it should be this. It is despicable how people cover up and make excuses for predators just because they’re famous, or wealthy, or powerful.

• 23 jackiegrumbacher
      February 1, 2014 at 9:31 pm

NW, this is a powerful and heartbreaking letter. No child should have to endure what she did and then be doubted and accused of lying. It’s obvious that Allen is a sick and twisted man, but Mia Farrow did what many mothers should do, but fail to. Believe her daughter, fight for her and keep her safe.

• 24 LDS
      February 1, 2014 at 9:46 pm

This is so sad.
      Woody Allen and R. Kelly are predators who are still getting a way with their evilness.
      I am so glad that ” I never got” Woody Allen movies when others said they did. I guess I was not deep enough.
      I stopped buying and listening to R. Kelly’s music long time ago. I read a recent article from “Black Girls Rock” how the whole story was never revealed.
      What bothered me is the acceptance of Woody Allen marrying his step-daughter. Even though she was of age, when did he start having feelings for her? He walked around NY like he owned it. I am glad this young lady is calling him and Hollywood out. I believe some other adults knew. It will all come out. It usually does.

• February 1, 2014 at 10:24 pm

“Woody Allen is a living testament to the way our society fails the survivors of sexual assault and abuse.

So imagine your seven-year-old daughter being led into an attic by Woody Allen. Imagine she spends a lifetime stricken with nausea at the mention of his name. Imagine a world that celebrates her tormenter.

Are you imagining that? Now, what’s your favorite Woody Allen movie?”

Written by a very courageous person – hopefully, it may help and protect others.

5. February 1, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Thank you Nerdy, you bunch of loveliness!!

• 28 99ts
      February 1, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Thank you for the tweets today – being last on the last thread – of course – I did note

How can someone get these 2 options in the same day

retweeted by Pete Souza

It’s a weird world the twitter

6. 29 Vicki
    February 1, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Oh good NW. This Frank Bruni article well worth the time it takes to read.

7. February 1, 2014 at 8:40 pm

What a wonderful read. Thanks Nerdy.

8. 32 Nerdy Wonka
    February 1, 2014 at 8:40 pm

9. 36 Ladyhawke
    February 1, 2014 at 8:45 pm

The Rude Pundit ‏@rudepundit 2h

—————————————————–

So the new scandal should be why Christie gave an incompetent, inexperienced guy a 6 figure job at the Port Authority.

——————————————————–

10. 37 globalcitizenlinda
    February 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

if you live in an area where winter is frequent occurrence & you have young offspring or relatives who love snow days, showing them this would make them reconsider how much they really love you

11. February 1, 2014 at 8:49 pm

“If we let “the American dream” become a storybook phrase, a quaint and saccharine anachronism, no longer broadly evident and no longer widely believed, then we’re in desperate trouble.”

Absolutely.

Thank you, NW, for dedicating a post to the central message of President Obama’s Presidency, not merely Tuesday night’s #SOTU.

The former Marine described in the article linked in this tweet is but another example of how the American Plutocrats, enabled by their minions on #SCOTUS and in the #GOP, are doing everything possible to render the ‘Promise of America’ defunct.

#TrustBarack

Yes We Can

• 39 Layla
      February 1, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Oh Bob!!!!!!!! TY sooooo much for doing this!!!! I know they will take care of him. I sure hope yardarm sees this!!!!!!

February 1, 2014 at 8:58 pm

So glad to see you here, Bob….I love that you did this and was thinking that maybe he could get some help through Joining Forces to find a job. That would be wonderful.

• February 1, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Thank you Layla and df. I had posted it as a comment to Yardarm’s original posting of the article and do hope he saw it. On reading Bruni’s essay, it seemed yet another apt example of how dangerously close we are to having the plutocrats make that Marine’s plight, the plight of 90+ % of Americans.

• 44 globalcitizenlinda
      February 1, 2014 at 10:20 pm

thanks for doing this!

hopefully, someone can help out

12. 45 globalcitizenlinda
    February 1, 2014 at 8:50 pm

13. 46 Ladyhawke
    February 1, 2014 at 8:52 pm

The struggle is both/and, not either/or

by Nancy LeTourneau

———————————

What I think Coates is missing is that the symbolism he described so well in that first quote has as much impact (in a different way) on white people as it does for blacks. One of the reasons so many have literally gone nuts during Obama’s presidency is that the beauty, humanity and intelligence of this President challenge every fiber of white supremacy that has been hard-wired into our brains for centuries. That wound has festered for so long that it will not be lanced without tremendous pain and fury. And so, in addition to proactively tackling the major civil rights issues of our time, having the strength to maintain that beauty, humanity and intelligence in the face of the pain and fury that has been unleashed on them is perhaps the most powerful blow this President (and his family) can deliver to white supremacy.

————————————————————————

• February 1, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Now that is something I hope President and First Lady Obama read and share with their daughters. Perhaps this will help …

Yes We Can

• February 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm

LH…..

I felt and understood Coates piece…and then to read smartypants..very profound

• 49 nathkatun7
        February 2, 2014 at 12:15 am

Prettyfoot58, It’s true Coates made some good points, but somehow he just couldn’t help himself from finding something negative to criticize President Obama about:i.e President Obama’s repeated appeal to young African Americans to study hard, be self-reliant, and carry themselves with pride and dignity.

From day one of African enslavement, our survival has never been either/or: self reliance and belief in our human dignity, or, the struggle to change the oppressive system that constantly deprived us of both. Without Black people focusing on self-reliance and a deep belief in our humanity and ability to transcend the unimaginable dehumanizing experience we would not have been able to carry on the long and sustained struggle to change and transform America that has brought us to where we are now. Frederick Douglass, the great abolitionist, had to struggle mightly to educate himself even though it was dangerous and illegal for enslaved Africans to learn how to read and write. It was through his dogged determination to master the written word, the art of oratory, self-pride and self-respect, that enabled him to speak for his people in the struggle to transform America. Without his determination to be the best scholar, W.E.B. DuBois would not have had a profound impact on leading the struggle for freedom. The same is true of Booker T. Washington, Ida B. Wells, Mary Church Terrell, Mary McLeoed Bethune, Dr. King, Charles H. Houston, Thurgood Marshall and others. Certainly Blacks who are classified as Nationalist leaders: David Walker, Martin Delany, Alexander Crummell, Bishop Henry M. Turner, Edward Blyden, Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammad, Malcolm X, etc., all stressed the importance of education and self-reliance, race pride, as the key to Black redemption.

President Obama has never denigrated the importance of struggling to change the system, but he also knows that the only way to make a dent in changing the system, and build on the achievements of the past, is for Black people, and especially young Black people who are the future, is to have faith in themselves and cultivate self-pride and seriousness in everything they do. For the life of me, I just don’t understand why people like Coates view this negatively. I understand that right wingers may manipulate the message of self reliance and self pride to justify their nefarious racist schemes. But they do the same to Dr.King’s message when they pretend to be promoting a color- blind society when in fact they are promoting race based policies.

• February 2, 2014 at 9:27 am

Nath….

PBO means different things to different people. Our expectations are on the gut level. In the Blk community, many of us see what PBO is doing because for most blk folks our struggle has always been a both/and….I can only guess what PBO means to Coates..but I find this kind criticism (either/or) from a lot of the blk intelligentsia…but from reading his piece…he struggles with this either/or notion…because he does see the and/both…

he is trying to reconcile it

• 51 nathkatun7
        February 2, 2014 at 1:54 am

Prettyfoot58, Coates made some good points, but somehow he couldn’t help himself from finding something negative to criticize about President Obama. The way I understood him, he thinks that President Obama, while he is powerful and positive symbol for Black people, is misguided by constantly appealing to Black people, and especially young people, to study hard, to strive to be self-reliant, to respect their families and to carry themselves with dignity and self-respect. Coates believes that the President should be devoting all his energy-100%- to attacking the racist oppressive system. Coates believes that by emphasizing self-respect and self-reliance, President Obama, like the quote he offered from W.E.B. DuBois, is giving ammunition to the right wing racists.

With all due respect, I beg to differ. As far as I am concerned, Mr. Ta-Nahesi Coates, as gifted a writer as he is, has not seriously studied the long history of Black people’s struggle for freedom and human dignity. Our struggle has never been either/or: self-reliance and self respect, or, the struggle to transform the system that has historically denied us both. I know of no credible leader who has not emphasized the importance of struggling on both fronts. Throughout the long struggle for freedom, that goes as far back as the 1600′s, the theme for racial uplift (self-reliance) has been central to the Black struggle for freedom and human dignity. At the same time, the struggle has been about transforming America in order for Black people to be able to be treated as other human beings.

I wish Mr. Coates would read the biographies and speeches of Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman; or David Walker’s Appeal, and especially the Second chapter entitled “Our Wretchedness as A Consequence of Ignorance”; or the sermons of Bishop Richard Allen and Revs. Alexander Crummell and Henry Highland Garnett; or the writings of nationalists like Dr. Martin Delany, Edward Blyden, Marcus Garvey, Elijah Muhammd and Malcolm X; or educators like W.E.B. DuBois, Carter G. Woodson, Mary McLeod Bethune, and Dr. Benjamin Mays; or legal giants like Charles H. Houston and Thurgood Marshall; or Dr. King who was always urging us young people to study hard (even if it meant studying long hours in the night when others slept), to carry ourself in dignified manner (the whole foundation of non-violence) and to be ‘the best” at what ever vocation we chose.

For the life of me, I really don’t understand why some of the Black academics and Black media pundits are attacking President Obama for urging Black people, and especially young people, to be the best they can be, in spite of all the obstacles they have to overcome. After all, would we be celebrating Black History Month if it hadn’t been for those Black pioneers who had to transcend even more unspeakable dehumanizing circumstances? I personally reject the either/or formulation. I just don’t see how Blacks, or any other group, or for that matter all Americans, can make any progress without cultivating self respect and respect for others as well as seriousness to struggle to transform America to ensure that, as Dr. King would say, “all God’s children” are treated equally with human dignity. Incidentally, this is the same message I’ve heard from President Obama, over and over again.

I do understand Coates’s concern that right wingers (like those he cited who distorted W.E.B. DuBois’ message) might twist and distort the President’s message to young Blacks. But what else is knew? Right wingers have been manipulating and distorting Dr. King’s I have a dream speech to justify “color blind” racism. I’ve news for Mr. Coates: both right wingers and the” holier than thou” left wingers, who hate President Obama so much, are likely to quote and distort his critique of President Obama to justify their hatred.

• February 2, 2014 at 10:00 am

**********************************************************

Nath….

I so appreciate your thought provoking comments… My immediate response is that some expect PBO to be that militant revolutionary who calls out all forms of racism and are disappointed when in their view he does not…for some their scope is very narrow and cannot see the forest for the trees…they are critical of his steps to break down that wall of institutional racism because in their view he does not go far enough…..for others…most of their information/ideas have not come from being in the thick of the struggle…from actual organizing experience…(as in the case of REV AL)….but from theory/academia…without a whole lot of practice…and for some…there is the fear/jealousy and a host of other things….some members of the CBC….have become so disengaged from the struggle that brought them into office..(a pity)…they make meaningless attacks on PBO…

but for most of the Blk community…(PBOs true base)…we see thru it all…because we live it everyday…

as does PBO ..He keeps moving us forward>>>>

14. 53 globalcitizenlinda
    February 1, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Mr. Frank Bruni’s article highlighted here could also be used to support the idea enacting comprehensive immigration reform – we do not know WHO it is and WHAT talents current undocumented immigrants could become and what contribution they could make if given the chance;

someone seems to be expressing the same sentiment in this – you never can predict who a person will be in the future

15. 56 globalcitizenlinda
    February 1, 2014 at 9:01 pm

thanks Obamacare

16. 59 Ladyhawke
    February 1, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Opinion: What Mike Huckabee Wants to Take Away From Women

17. 60 yardarm756
    February 1, 2014 at 9:15 pm

18. 61 99ts
    February 1, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Lots of comments about keystone today. Whatever the President decides will be met with criticism – not a word about it from the right – if approved they will suddenly become environmentally conscious – if canned – they will scream about the 200,000 jobs lost.

I would love to see a repeat of the Syria issue – lets put this before congress. I think the President will think not only of the issue but how to explain the decision. Personally I have trouble thinking it has any benefit to the US. I also think there are issues in alternate methods of transporting oil – so Canada should solve its own transport problems – not give them to the US.

My 5 cents worth

• 62 Layla
      February 1, 2014 at 10:15 pm

I live in Canada and I agree. Harper is driving us cray cray!!!!

• 63 99ts
        February 1, 2014 at 10:36 pm

You should meet our new guys – state and Federal – George Bush for the Feds and Cheney at the state level. Right wing insanity – yet people voted for them – I cringe and cry.

19. 65 Vicki
    February 1, 2014 at 9:28 pm

NY1—-our local station (Time Warner owned) is showing Altered tape of Christies appearance at the SuperBowl ceremonies.

You can barely hear any booing and the reporter is saying that there was a “smattering” of boos—An outright lie.
    I worry about this country.

February 1, 2014 at 9:50 pm

NW – Another beautiful post, and I thank you so much. Love our President! We are so lucky to have him in his chair in the Oval until 2017. Wish it could be another term, of course.

February 1, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Hmmm…..

February 1, 2014 at 10:14 pm

She’s off to a good start – Ha!

23. 88 forus50
    February 1, 2014 at 10:19 pm

24. 89 forus50
    February 1, 2014 at 10:20 pm

25. February 1, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Yep.

February 1, 2014 at 10:34 pm

27. 99 Layla
    February 1, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Well, I have enjoyed your company and I am off to work! Have a wonderful night! A special TY to Bob tonight!

28. 103 globalcitizenlinda
    February 1, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Hello “blog tyrants”, please consider highlighting this article;

From Washington Post:

“Life after Jan. 1: Kentucky clinic offers early glimpse at realities of health-care law”

here is a report of how ObamaCare translates into addressing the problems of people and especially the working poor in Kentucky.

article made me cry – have been there, and know people who have been there before Obamacare pass.

others, please find a way to share this because it shows that at the end of the day, Obamacare is about real people.

Thank you very much President Obama and all who worked to make this happen

• 104 99ts
      February 1, 2014 at 11:37 pm

I found that on another blog Linda – a truly wonderful read – one voter at a time – every democrat should be pushing Obamacare in November

• 105 globalcitizenlinda
        February 1, 2014 at 11:50 pm

yes, the article gets at the core of what it means to a person before and after Obamacare;

no doubt in my mind, Obamacare is a great organizing tool for registering and getting out the vote and we should use it this 2014

29. 106 anniebella
    February 1, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Go Seattle Seahawks. Beat Denver.

30. 107 globalcitizenlinda
    February 1, 2014 at 11:10 pm

31. 109 globalcitizenlinda
    February 1, 2014 at 11:15 pm

the painstaking process of counting the homeless is made especially hard during this brutal weather.

in our city, efforts to count the homeless and determine the services they need has been happening over the last two weeks and it was the time of the polar votex!!!!

extremely grateful for people who dedicate their lives to providing outreach and services to the homeless population;

February 1, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Pretty hard to go to sleep in our warm beds and warm houses without saying a prayer for those who don’t. God bless them through the frigid temperatures!

February 1, 2014 at 11:24 pm

And maybe tomorrow I’ll make a pact with myself to quit complaining about “the snow outside”! Thanks for these reminders, Linda.

• 112 globalcitizenlinda
          February 1, 2014 at 11:43 pm

I too felt guilty when I heard the local report on my NPR about our regular head count – this annual event always seems to occur at a time when I am in a foul mood about the weather but the report always sobers me up.

you know I am one of those who are constantly complaining about the snow;

my main issue is having to move through the extreme cold but once I get home, there is plenty of heat;

so, I will quit complaining and only see this as a much-needed replenishing of the water systems

32. 114 Obama Grandmama
    February 1, 2014 at 11:28 pm

I am hearing Michele Bachman’s name mentioned a lot lately. I thought I heard she was not running for another term and was under investigation for campaign fraud. What happened to that?

33. 116 globalcitizenlinda
    February 1, 2014 at 11:30 pm

34. February 1, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Inspired by RC as I often am …

bbl … preparing dinner and need to focus before I burn stuff!!! :)

• 118 nathkatun7
      February 2, 2014 at 2:41 am

Great tweet, Bob! I hope your dinner turned out well with no burns. I’ve had a really nasty flu so I am still mainly eating soups and liquids.

As to your great tweet, I also think Republicans don’t idolize IKE because of two other reasons:

1. He warned the the nation about the dangers of the “Military Industrial Complex”
      2. He sent troops to Little Rock Arkansas to protect Black children and to enforce the Supreme Court’s decision to desegregate schools.

It’s really ironic that Republicans, who pride themselves of being strong on national defense, idolize a B movie actor, with no military experience whatsoever, but not a five star General who won the Great war and had intimate experience about the horrors of war. The GOP hero, Ronald Reagan, cut and run from Beirut, Lebanon, after 241 American service men, mainly Marines, had been killed by terrorists. To cover-up the Beirut debacle, Reagan invaded the “tiny, tiny” (hard to locate on the global map) Caribbean Island of Grenada, for absolutely no plausible reasons. I’ve asked some Republicans I know to tell me why Ronald Reagan Invaded Grenada. None of them are aware that Reagan invaded Grenada. Some of them claim that it’s a “liberal lie” to tarnish the image of the Great (or is it Saint) Ronald Reagan. They think liberals are confusing Grenada with Nicaragua where, according to them, President Reagan was supporting “Freedom Fighters” fighting against Communism.

• February 2, 2014 at 7:38 am

I agree with you both that if Republicans had a righteous bone in their bodies, Eisenhower would be their beacon. My favorite quote by him regarding war:

“Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.”

He was actually very progressive. It was Truman who issued the order to desegregate the military, but it was Eisenhower who enforced it. Of birth control and women’s reproductive rights, he said:

“Birth control is not a proper political or government activity or function or responsibility….it is not our business”

He receives no accolades because he was too much like a Democrat. A Rino, I guess. :)

February 1, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Goodnight, Obama lovers! This one’s for the “other side” – well, the photo’s for us, of course!

36. February 2, 2014 at 1:55 am

Where’s everybody? I am watching the Gabby Douglas story and smiling. She is so cute. What a fantastic athlete.

37. 125 nathkatun7
    February 2, 2014 at 1:56 am

I am wondering why my comments are not posting. Am I doing something wrong?

38. 126 0388jojothecat
    February 2, 2014 at 2:00 am

Mine are not posting either…….? What up?

39. 128 Dudette
    February 2, 2014 at 2:38 am

Hi Nath & JoJo! I see your comments. Unless you mean others aren’t showing up.

• 129 nathkatun7
      February 2, 2014 at 2:48 am

Hey Dudette, so good to see you! I hope you are feeling much better. I posted some comments about the Ta-Nahesi Coates article on President Obama, but they never showed up.

• 130 Lynn
        February 2, 2014 at 3:00 am

Damn glad you surfaced, nath. Everybody was worried.

• 131 nathkatun7
          February 2, 2014 at 4:29 am

I am so sorry, Lynn, for not alerting people that I was going on a trip. Then when I returned I was down flu that I still haven’t fully recovered from. The next time I go on an extended trip I will make sure to let TOD members know.

• 133 Dudette
        February 2, 2014 at 3:08 am

Thanks Nath! Yes, I am much much better. Going back to work (part-time) on Monday. :-( :-)
        I hope you’re well. I missed your post about that article though. Might be WordPress acting up again.

• 134 nathkatun7
          February 2, 2014 at 4:39 am

Wonderful to know you are feeling better, Dudette! Please do take it easy when you go back to work. I tried two times to post a comment. I suppose WordPress didn’t take kindly to my views.

• 136 Lynn
      February 2, 2014 at 2:59 am

I’m here, too, sweet lady! So glad you are back!

• 137 Dudette
        February 2, 2014 at 3:09 am

Hey there Lynn! Thank you m’am! Glad to BE back! :-)

• 138 Lynn
          February 2, 2014 at 3:17 am

I do the woodstove waltz to your tunes in the middle of the night. I realllllllly missed you when the temps dove past 20 below and the pipes froze. I couldn’t waltz fast enough!

Seriously, Dudette, your ‘disappearance’ did start a new dialog here at TOD. Everybody needs an emergency contact.

40. 141 4morefor44
    February 2, 2014 at 2:52 am

there’s so much wrong with this video i don’t know where to begin:

no wonder mitt rmoney and his family are so sociopathic. that’s some twisted stuff right there.

41. 148 Dudette
    February 2, 2014 at 4:09 am

Good Morning Everybody! :-D

• 149 Lynn
      February 2, 2014 at 4:31 am

GM back at ya, Dudette!

• 150 99ts
      February 2, 2014 at 6:33 am

GM Dudette – I missed your music this evening – I was out to dinner. Love going out Sunday evenings cause most of our world seems to stay in getting ready for Monday – always no crowds – good service :)

It seems like you haven’t been to bed?

42. February 2, 2014 at 7:12 am

David Plouffe twitter reaction re Christie’s counter offensive against Wildstein:

“Sophomoric. Situation needs an A team. This not it. Christie’s Office Targets Former Ally in a Memo nyti.ms/LmJHtB”

43. 156 globalcitizenlinda