Feb

Get Schooled

Transcript:

Hi! My name is Michelle Obama and I’m first!

Neither of my parents graduated from college, so when I got to campus as a freshman, I’ll admit I was a little overwhelmed.  I didn’t know how to choose my classes or find the right classrooms. I didn’t even know how to furnish my own dorm room. In fact, when I moved in, I realized that I hadn’t even packed the right size sheets for my bed.  Mine were way too short. So that first night, I slept with my legs sticking out past the end of the sheets, rubbing up against one of those old plastic mattresses… and I ended up sleeping that way for my entire freshman year.

But here’s the thing – I may not have had the right sheets, but I learned pretty quickly that I had what it took to succeed in college.

Sure, there were moments when I had doubts.  At first, I even worried that maybe I just wasn’t as smart as some of my classmates.  But soon enough I realized that that was all in my head.  I was just as smart as everyone else – and I had just as much to contribute – I just had to have the confidence to believe in myself and the determination to work hard and ask for help when I needed it.

So that’s my message to all of you – no matter where you come from or how much money your family has, I want you to know that you can succeed in college, and get your degree, and then go on to build an incredible life for yourself.

That’s been my life story, and my husband’s as well.  And if you’re willing to put in the time and the effort, I want you to know that it can be your story too.

So I want to wish you the best of luck in the years ahead… I know you can do it.

First Lady Michelle Obama speaks to students at T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria, Va., Feb. 5, during a workshop to help students fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Mrs. Obama told students that filling out the FAFSA is a pivotal step toward finishing their education beyond high school.

First Lady Michelle Obama poses with parents and students after she delivers remarks at a Free Application for Federal Student Aid Workshop at T.C. Williams High School-King Street Campus in Alexandria, Virginia

106 Responses to “Get Schooled”

1. 1 Gazelle
    February 5, 2014 at 4:37 pm

[Carried over from end of last thread. LOL! Good one! Cheers!]:

A Scottish brewery has launched a ‘not for gays’ beer in protest at Vladimir Putin’s anti-gay laws, and have even sent a crate to the Russian leader himself.

The limited-edition ‘Hello, My Name is Vladimir’ beer features a Warhol-esque impression of Vladimir Putin wearing make-up on its label and the satirical *not for gays small print across the bottom.

BrewDog, the brewery responsible for creating the ‘protest beer’ included the following description on the labels: “Hello, my name is Vladimir. I am 100 per cent hetero and will pass laws to prove it.

“Drinking me gives you energy, ignorance and dogmatism required to shoot a deer (with your top off) and pass internationally denounced, discriminatory legislation (top optional) before you’ve even had your caviar breakfast.”

More here: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/vladimir-putin-not-for-gays-protest-beer-launched-by-scottish-brewery-brewdog-9108835.html

February 5, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Our FLOTUS – what a positive force in the lives of young women! :) Thanks for posting, Chips. We won’t see/hear too much about this in the media. But how many “stories” were there about her extended Hawaii birthday vacation?

3. 11 Proud Former White House Intern
    February 5, 2014 at 4:41 pm

She is amazing love her so much!!!

4. 12 anniebella
    February 5, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Our FLOTUS is just the best.

5. 13 Linda
    February 5, 2014 at 4:47 pm

” Get Schooled ”

I thought is was going to be Jay schooling Ed Henry and Peter Alexander.

6. February 5, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Flotus is always an inspiration to women of all ages.

7. 15 Vicki
    February 5, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I don’t know if TOD will find this interesting but Ezra’s new venture Vox Media has hired more of his WashPo colleagues.
    The interesting part is where they were before their work at WaPo—-Politico, The Atlantic like Ezra 1% RW no matter what their special topics might be. I won’t be checking out this new venture at all.

8. 17 Nerdy Wonka
    February 5, 2014 at 4:51 pm

A fantastic policy and program that she’s championing. We’re so lucky to have First Lady Michelle Obama.

9. 18 No Child Left Behind
    February 5, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Good Afternoon TODVille.

Thanks for the video and beautiful pictures, Chipsticks. How is my friend Danny? Has it killed any new toy lately? I just love its spirit.

• February 5, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Hiya No Child, he’s still largely focused on killing flower pots and the flowery things in them. Our neighbors still haven’t fixed the wall that was blown down on Dec 26 – :roll: – so he’s still raiding their garden and bringing back all sorts of things, but mainly flower pots. Although today he brought back a box of tissues, and shredded them. That was fun :???:

• 20 dotster3
        February 5, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Danny is clever and industrious, taking advantage of a “bad” situation (wall down). Does Danny have to pay for the confiscated flowery flower pots or do the neighbors thing his stealth activities are creative and adorable?

• February 5, 2014 at 6:04 pm

He’s most certainly industrious Dotster, and clever when it suits him –

eg “Drop my sock RIGHT now!”
          “Huh, dunno what ya mean.”

The neighbors seem to be perfectly fine with him removing the entire contents of their garden – it’s a counseling clinic type place, I have visions of him bringing home a patient one day. :???:

10. 23 Gazelle
    February 5, 2014 at 4:52 pm

I love the tremendous work FLOTUS & POTUS just keep doing, with dignity & heart! Bless! Thanks for posting, Chips!

11. 25 Linda
    February 5, 2014 at 4:55 pm

Breaking:

DHS has just alerted airlines going to Russia to watch for explosives in tubes of toothpaste.

12. 29 No Child Left Behind
    February 5, 2014 at 4:55 pm

The Prospect’s Paul Waldman offers a very simple way out of Scandal City for Chris Christie:

If he announced tomorrow that he won’t run in 2016, the national media’s interest in New Jersey scandal stories would evaporate in seconds. But so long as he holds out that possibility, and so long as he looks like a potentially strong contender, they’re going to keep looking.

That will teach any other GOP-arrogant-aspiring-1600 Pennsylvania-boarder.

• February 5, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Hope you’re doing well, NCLB.

At this point, given the potential Federal crimes that Christie is under investigation – Sandy relief (extorting the Mayor of Hobokin) & interference with interstate commerce and national security (so called #Bridgegate) – I don’t think his announcing he’s not going to run in 2016, or even resigning from office, matter a bit.

• 31 jackiegrumbacher
        February 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I certainly agree with that, Bob. Christie played fast and loose with federal money. The legal system is on to him now and he’s not going to get away from it.

• 32 MightyPamela
      February 5, 2014 at 5:45 pm

He must be investigated, and if found guilty of any of the above criminal acts, must be tried and convicted. He is not above the law at any time.

13. 33 Anjo
    February 5, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Been lurking and I’m way behind, Any news from GoB, praying for her in her time of trial and all those who are not feeling too well and those under the real weather..stay safe, get well..keep on keeping on, back to lurking

February 5, 2014 at 4:59 pm

She’s been posting on Twitter today up to this afternoon, so that’s reassuring for now. :) Hopefully she’s not any worse than the last time she posted here on TOD.

14. 35 Linda
    February 5, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Hassan Rouhani @HassanRouhani

Gov will extend medical insurance to all Iranians. First step will be to cover 5mn uninsured Iranians by the social safety net #RouhaniCare

15. 36 Nena20409
    February 5, 2014 at 5:16 pm

2-05-14 WH presser by Jay “Clark Kent” Carney with Guest, Sec Vilsack(sp)
    Please start Video at 11:50 Minutes in ;)

16. February 5, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Hello fellow apologists for the police state!

I was at a gathering of a boatload of teen librarians, so I couldn’t engage in the back and forth here. I was watching Channel 4 yesterday at lunch when the ad for “Hunted” came on, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. At first I was just going to write about the Olympics; but the fact that “human rights icons” Snowden and Greenwald have been silent about Russia’s myriad human rights abuses leapt to the front of my mind. And thus a piece was born.

I truly think these Olympics are going to be a disaster for Putin. Athletes and media have voices, and they will make their displeasure at the ineptitude known.

17. 38 JER
    February 5, 2014 at 5:19 pm

18. 39 Nena20409
    February 5, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Per Mediabistro.com, Joy Reid will announce the Name of her show on Politics Nation Tomorrow….2-6-14, Rev Al Sharpton’s show.

19. February 5, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Seattle Times headline: “It’s raining Skittles on 700,000 happy fans”

Just wanted him to know that, given his extraordinary commitment to inner city youth, his choosing #Skittles was likely not an accident.

• February 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm

BTW, knowing how savvy Mr Lynch is, his action is a rather profound way of telling CNN they’re full of it for their (most recent) Zimmerman vile stunt.

• 44 Melanie
        February 5, 2014 at 5:33 pm

He has a deal with Skittles.

• February 5, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Thanks Melanie – I’d be the last know such things!!! Just thought it was rather remarkable timing.

• 46 MightyPamela
            February 5, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Am with the remarkable solidarity with Trayvon, but of course I fuss a bit, hoping the birds don’t eat those skittles! Then I remembered waiting for a bus one day last fall, seeing a box of junior mints scattered on the sidewalk – not even the ants were touching those, birds walked right by! What does that tell us about food values!!

20. 47 JER
    February 5, 2014 at 5:26 pm

21. 49 LDS
    February 5, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Thank you, Ms. Chips for this post.
    I am so glad for all of those students to be alive in these times to meet a FLOTUS who lives by example. It is so reassuring to know that they have a future ahead of them and will not have to compromise, get stares and comments as if they were tokens or worse “a product of affirmative action”, even worse a token experiment.
    So glad they will have a chance to know what it feels like when the playing field is somewhat fair and they will not be judge by the color of their skin. They are entitled to equal pay and so not have to apologize or be ashame of where they come from.
    I love my FLOTUS so much. She deserves to be First Lady. She wears it well…

22. 52 Nerdy Wonka
    February 5, 2014 at 5:31 pm

Richard Cordray, Director of the CFPB is on Jeopardy!!!!!!!!!! OMG! OMG! OMG!

23. 54 JER
    February 5, 2014 at 5:33 pm

As he considers another run for the White House, Vice President Joe Biden laid out one reason why he wouldn’t want to be the nation’s next chief executive.

“Everybody wants to know whether or not I’m going to run for president. There’s a lot of reasons to run for president, but there’s one overwhelming reason not to run for president,” he said. “I’d like to get that (Corvette) Z06 from zero to 60 in 3.4 seconds.” …

• 55 jackiegrumbacher
      February 5, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Jer, I suspect that Jill, as well as Joe, wouldn’t mind getting a private life back again. It has to be wearing to be surrounded by people all the time with very little opportunity to be yourself.

• 56 MightyPamela
      February 5, 2014 at 5:52 pm

He is just too adorable for his own good!! Bet he dreamt of that machine!! Go get one, Joe, you have more than earned buying yourself a treat!!

24. 57 Linda
    February 5, 2014 at 5:36 pm

WASHINGTON – Between 50,000 and 82,000 tons of coal ash flowed into North Carolina’s Dan River on Sunday, prompting renewed calls for long-delayed federal rules on the disposal of coal waste.

The ash and water mixture spilled when a stormwater pipe broke at Duke Energy’s Dan River Steam Station, a plant that is no longer in operation in Rockingham County, N.C. Duke estimated the amount spilled in a statement on Tuesday.

Coal ash is the residual when coal is burned to create power. It is often doused with water and left in containment ponds, but the slurry can contain potentially toxic elements like arsenic, mercury and lead. There are 676 slurry containment units at 240 facilities in the United States, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Forty-five of those units are considered “high hazard” — as in, more likely to fail — including two of Duke’s Dan River containment ponds.

The spill happened just days after the EPA reached an agreement to release final rules for the disposal of coal ash. The agency has been working on the regulations for more than four years, and now plans to release them by Dec. 19, 2014. Environmental groups, represented by the nonprofit law organization Earthjustice, sued the EPA over the delayed rules, and a judge directed the agency to come up with a timeline for finalizing them.

25. 59 jackiegrumbacher
    February 5, 2014 at 5:39 pm

The last photo of FLOTUS with all the young people gives me so much confidence in our future. The old conservative guard will fade away, the Koch Brothers will move into their dotage and the ones who will be our future and run our country are the young people in that photo and others like them. Just the knowledge of that keeps me going and gives me hope. During the 2012 campaign I remember saying to a young worker that his generation will likely be the one 21st century historians call “great” when the books are written.

I just got back from having two teeth filled and was feeling shaky and numb when I saw that photo and darn if it didn’t make me smile.

• 60 LDS
      February 5, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Jackie, just having the desire to smile after a visit from the dentist makes me smile.
      If Botox feels and looks like that, no thanks! Having no control over my smile is something my wrinkles will have to get use to.
      I have been smiling a lot lately since Christi the Bully is being exposed. And this whole Russian adventure has me cautious and giddy at the same time. I hope the whole damn thing gets cancelled and have a do over.

26. February 5, 2014 at 5:43 pm

So, faded rap star DMX is fighting George Zimmerman. (I know I read the rationale behind holding the fight, but I try to forget as much about that murderer as I can.) This Tweet pretty much sums it up for me.

27. 64 Nerdy Wonka
    February 5, 2014 at 5:53 pm

28. 68 Linda
    February 5, 2014 at 5:54 pm

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — A county health official in West Virginia said doctors are advising some patients not to drink tap water weeks after it was deemed safe from a chemical contamination, though a federal health official on Wednesday said it could be used for any purpose.

The Jan. 9 spill at Freedom Industries in Charleston spurred a water-use ban for 300,000 people. After officials cleared thousands of people to use water again, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials advised pregnant women to consider a different water source.

Dr. Rahul Gupta of Kanawha and Putnam counties said Wednesday that some pediatricians now are advising that children under 3 shouldn’t drink the water. Other physicians are similarly advising patients on dialysis or with kidney or liver failure, chronic conditions or low immune systems.

The CDC’s Dr. Tanja Popovic said later Wednesday that the water was “appropriate for use” and that the advisory for pregnant women was meant to “empower” them to make their own health choices.

Two schools in the state closed early Wednesday because of the licorice smell in the water that resembled what was detected during the spill.

State schools Superintendent James Phares said some students complained of lightheadedness, itchy eyes and noses. A teacher who fainted and a student were taken to a hospital.

The schools were testing for the chemical and flushing the lines. No decision will be made about Thursday’s classes until results return. The schools also have hand sanitizer and bottled water available.

29. 69 dotster3
    February 5, 2014 at 5:54 pm

I love this new emphasis on making college a possibility for all. IMHO, it is the whole key, the whole deal. Just the opportunity to be in that university atmosphere is enriching, expanding and makes for a more satisfied life. Good for these students, good for our communities, good for the country.

30. February 5, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Am very pleased to read this:

“He said Boeing’s strategy of forcing major labor concessions on the Machinist union in exchange for building the 777X in Washington state “reeks of some sort of psychological exercise rather than an economically driven process.”

“Congratulations,” he said sarcastically. “They saved the cost of a 777 or two per year and lost the opportunity to work together with the workforce to be innovative and productive.”

“That seems really foolish,” he added. “If you don’t have the workers on your team working with you and feeling good, you’ve lost a big chunk of the battle.”

Aboulafia said he sees the same dynamic in the Boeing corporate strategy of pushing suppliers to cut costs dramatically in order to win business on new programs like 777X.”

It’s way, way past time for Boeing’s management to be challenged, very publicly, by analysts like Richard Aboulafia.

• 71 99ts
      February 5, 2014 at 6:04 pm

It’s happening big time in my world Bob – long term result – they cut costs so much there is nothing left to cut and the company fails. The cheapest IS NOT the way to build anything – let alone airplanes. The US seems to be leading the way to ensure their workforce gets the pay & conditions that exist in the third world, while the latter are discovering that pay and conditions are important!

31. 72 99ts
    February 5, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Is the ACA the most talked about legislation in the last 100 years? Did SS, Medicare, voting rights stay in the headlines for 5 years and counting? Was there ever an issue that generated so many lies and so much hate against those who do not/did not have health insurance/health care. Is this the only topic that will take Chris Christie off the front pages?

From the death panels of Sarah Palin, through the Supreme Court, the 40 attempts to repeal, the states refusing to implement, help or advise, the outcry against a web site than wasn’t 100% perfect to the current lies about a very positive report – the GOP has tried everything ensure the legislation fails – well the GOP has failed big time.

Watch for the uptick in enrollments over then next month – despite refusing to provide funds to help the implementation – the GOP continues to advertise the ACA through its opposition. The more news for Obamacare – good news or bad lies – the more people will enroll.

32. 73 Linda
    February 5, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Thanks for the warning Big Ed……

He just announced he will have Brian Schweitzer on tomorrow for a full half hour about the Keystone pipeline

February 5, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Hello – Obamacare is coming to Iran – Rouhanicare :)

34. 79 Pamela Buckingham
    February 5, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Thank you, Barbara. Would you send it on to Victoria, please. I never seem to have a correct email for her anymore!

• 80 MightyPamela
      February 5, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Wow! Um, if a bt could help me out here: this is so weird, this is a reply to an email from my cousin. I have absolutely no idea how it got posted here, and tho it is innocuous enough, should be deleted! Whoa. And I thought the Mercury retrograde did not start for another 24 hours! :(

35. 89 Linda
    February 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Rick Perry And Greg Abbott Plan To Skip Christie’s Fundraising Trip To Texas

36. 90 Linda
    February 5, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Mitt Romney on Wednesday said that he believes New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) when he says that he did not know and was not involved with the closure of lanes on the George Washington Bridge last year.

“Oh, I sure do,” Romney said on CNN’s “The Situation Room” when anchor Wolf Blitzer asked if he thought the governor was telling the truth. “Chris is a friend of mine. Chris is a straightforward guy. When he tells you something, you can count on it.”

Romney also hinted that Christie still has a chance to become the GOP presidential nominee in 2016.

“I’m counting on Chris and believe that he, if he decides to get into national politics, he’ll do very well indeed,” he said.

February 5, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Hey ABCNews, we see what you did there….

February 5, 2014 at 6:34 pm

February 5, 2014 at 6:35 pm

http://www.worldpolicy.org/journal/fall2013/Russia-surveillance Who in their right mind would want to go here?

Over the last two years, the Kremlin has transformed Russia into a surveillance state—at a level that would have made the Soviet KGB (Committe for State Security) envious. Seven Russian investigative and security agencies have been granted the legal right to intercept phone calls and emails. But it’s the Federal Security Service (FSB), the successor to the KGB, that defines interception procedures, and they’ve done that in a very peculiar way.

In most Western nations, law enforcement or intelligence agencies must receive a court order before wiretapping. That warrant is sent to phone operators and Internet providers, which are then required by law to intercept the requested information and forward it to the respective government agencies. In Russia, FSB officers are also required to obtain a court order to eavesdrop, but once they have it, they are not required to present it to anybody except their superiors in the FSB. Telecom providers have no right to demand that the FSB show them the warrant. The providers are required to pay for the SORM equipment and its installation, but they are denied access to the surveillance boxes.

40. February 5, 2014 at 7:03 pm

may be upthread, but… heads up – Richard Cordray right now on Jeapardy!

February 5, 2014 at 7:08 pm