Feb

Rise and Shine

Corbin Fleming, brother of 2011 March of Dimes National Ambassador Lauren Fleming, plays with the President’s telephone during his family’s visit to the Oval Office, Feb. 7, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today (all times Eastern):

10:30: President Obama departs the White House

12:15: Arrives Michigan

12:45: Tours Michigan Biotechnology Institute

2:10: Delivers remarks and signs the Agriculture Act of 2014, Michigan State University

3:15: Departs Michigan

4:50: Arrives White House

Africa: Obamacare is making a difference for my family

My two sisters and a sister-in-law in Maryland now have insurance, thanks to Obamacare.

When my second to the oldest sister’s husband died, she lost her health insurance. She suffered seizures and has been hospitalized multiple times. After her husband’s death, she moved in with my second to the youngest sister, who called me regularly about the high cost of my sister’s medication. They were paying out of pocket. One medication, for example, Dilantin, was about $165.00 for 60 pills. Another, Keppra cost around $65.00. But thanks to Obamacare, the co-pay for both medications is now $2.50. Imagine that. Armed with health insurance, she is taking my sister this morning to see a primary care doctor for the first time in a long time. Subsequent visits will include a neurologist, gynecologist, etc., all thanks to Obamacare.

Then there is my baby sister, who was out of work with a 17-year old daughter. They now have Obamacare. And a sister-in-law also have Obamacare.

Yes, Obamacare is making a difference.

TPM: Obama Explains Putin’s ‘Shtick’

President Obama on Thursday rebutted the general perception that he has an “icy” relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“He does have a public style where he likes to sit back and look a little bored during the course of joint interviews. I think that’s where some of these perceptions come up,” Obama told NBC News in an interview airing Friday. “My sense is that’s part of his shtick back home politically as wanting to look like the tough guy. U.S. politicians have a different style. We tend to smile once in a while.”

More here

TPM: Obama Offers Jay Leno A Consolation Prize For Leaving ‘The Tonight Show’

Comedian Jay Leno hosted his final episode of “The Tonight Show” Thursday after a 22-year run, but at least President Barack Obama had a consolation prize to offer him.

“Jay, you’ve made a whole lot of jokes about me over the years,” Obama said in a pre-taped segment of stars wishing Leno well. “But do not worry, I’m not upset.”

…. On an unrelated note, Obama said, he had decided to make Leno the new U.S. ambassador to Antarctica.

“Hope you’ve got a coat, funny man,” he joked.

More here – video at link

Steve Benen: Christie’s evolving version of events

One of the overarching challenges facing New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) is not just his ongoing bridge scandal, but also the veracity of his claims about the scandal.  If Christie’s version of events had been consistent and reliable throughout, it’d be easier to believe his arguments about what role, if any, he played in his aides’ misconduct,

But the closer one looks at the governor’s claims, the more one sees nuances, changes, and contradictions.

It’s not just what Christie knew and when; it’s also what Christie claims he did about the now-infamous incident in Fort Lee.

More here

Michael Tomasky: CVS, Smokes and ‘Liberal Fascism’

In Fox News Land, no one does anything in the public interest. It’s just Obama’s commie thugs bullying a corporate giant to do what the president thinks is ‘good for you.’

Bravo, CVS. That’s a bold and even historic move, banning cigarettes. It’s true it isn’t costing the company much—the sticks accounted for just $2 billion of its $123 billion in revenue last year, according to The New York Times. But even so, it’s a decision by an American mega-corporation that was made in… sit down and steady yourself… the public interest! Everyone’s for that, right? Right? Wait, what’s that rumble I hear over the gloaming?…

Why, it’s Fox News! And they aren’t happy. Yes—you read that right. On Fox News, CVS’s decision not to sell an addictive product that kills hundreds of thousands of Americans prematurely every year stinks of a big commie plot. Daytime host Gretchen Carlson said something idiotic Wednesday even by daytime Fox News’s idiotic standards….

More here

On This Day:

President Obama looks over the shoulder of Hannah Wyman, 11, as she demonstrates her project in the Blue Room, Feb. 7, 2012, during the second annual White House Science Fair celebrating student winners of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) competitions from across the country (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama reacts as 14-year-old Joey Hudy of Phoenix, Arizona, launches a marshmallow from Hudy’s “Extreme Marshmallow Cannon” during a tour of the White House Science Fair, Feb 7, 2012

President Obama shares a group hug with Team America Rocketry Challenge students from Presidio, Texas, during the second White House Science Fair, Feb 7, 2012

A student takes a picture as President Obama’s delivers remarks during the second White House Science Fair in the East Room of the White House, Feb. 7, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama shakes hands with Bill Nye

First Lady Michelle Obama pets Bo, the Obama family dog, during a taping for “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” with 6-year-old Rainer Muuss, left, and his brother Atticus, 4, in the Diplomatic Reception Room of the White House, Feb. 7, 2013 (Photo by Chuck Kennedy)

MoooOOOooorning everyone – completely ran out of time this morning so I’m probably missing 99.93% of the news, will catch up later!

204 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

February 7, 2014 at 10:45 am

Ta Da.

2. 17 MightyPamela
    February 7, 2014 at 10:45 am

Here

• 18 MightyPamela
      February 7, 2014 at 10:57 am

#7?? Hey, walked in right beside the prodigal, now I’m #7? Well, only pulled that off because is working again today. So, amk, you will have to wait a bit to be greeted by her lovely self!

• 19 MightyPamela
        February 7, 2014 at 12:29 pm

*VC Here is a perfect and simple example of what astrologers mean when they refer to ‘Mercury Retrograde’. I am absolutely certain I typed the initials ‘VC’ because I saw them correct to caps. Now, I see they never made it into the reply. Astute!, and a new lesson on astrology. ;)

3. 20 Nerdy Wonka
    February 7, 2014 at 10:47 am
    • 21 donna dem 4 obama
      February 7, 2014 at 10:56 am

Wow! I’m showing my age but when the lion roared you knew it was time to quiet down cause the movie was about to begin ;)

February 7, 2014 at 11:26 am

I’ll show my antiquity and ask if you remember any of this (there’s even a pitch to “save free TV” from the cable companies inside!):

• 23 jackiegrumbacher
          February 7, 2014 at 12:09 pm

Oh, JOB, how I do remember all that and the “Free TV” pitch. Popcorn boxes and containers used to be small and didn’t leave you feeling bloated with junk. No supersized monsters in those days. My two sisters and I would go to the movies on Saturday and share one box of popcorn and a box of jujubees Fun times.

• 24 GGail
            February 7, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Good times! After Sunday church, we would be able to go bowling or to the movies! We would gather our neighborhood friends and have a good time!

February 7, 2014 at 10:48 am

Love the photo of little Corbin on the phone – probably starting WWIII, by pushing the wrong button! Thanks for the lovely Rise & Shine, Chips!

5. 29 Nerdy Wonka
    February 7, 2014 at 10:49 am
  6. 30 japa21
    February 7, 2014 at 10:50 am

GM all from absolutely frigid Chicago. Have I mentioned how much I am hating this winter season? Well, if not, I really HATE this winter.

Glad to see AMK has been found.

Busy busy, but will check in from time to time today. Officially first day back to work post surgery, so treading water at best.

• 31 MightyPamela
      February 7, 2014 at 11:01 am

Congrats on the wee grand-lad! Hope he’s doing well.

• 32 GGail
      February 7, 2014 at 12:12 pm

japa, glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. Also, very happy to hear about your new addition to your family! Blessings to all !

• 33 57andfemale
      February 7, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Another 3-6 inches by Sunday. The wind is wicked today, wind chills are ridiculous. I want to cry.

• 34 MightyPamela
        February 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm

57, if this is an omen of what’s ahead, we should all be crying! And screaming really loud to stop killing this planet with fossil fuels. (I know, I still drive a car, but as little as possible.)

7. 35 Nerdy Wonka
    February 7, 2014 at 10:50 am

David Axelrod for the win.

8. 41 donna dem 4 obama
    February 7, 2014 at 10:53 am

#BlackHistoryMonth

Did you know?

Carter G. Woodson, the “Father of Black History“, was an African-American historian, author, journalist and University Dean. In 1926, Dr. Woodson initiated the celebration of Negro History Week, which corresponded with the birthdays of Frederick Douglass and Abraham Lincoln. In 1972, it was renamed Black History Week. The celebration was expanded in 1976 to include the entire month of February and today Black History Month garners support throughout the country as people of all ethnic and social backgrounds discuss the black experience.

• 42 LDS
      February 7, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Thank you, Donna.
      I am passing this on to friends and family. Even if they already know so they will not forget. We have to tell and share our rich History because there are still Teabaggers out there who are ignorant of the true facts and who were taught to hate. We have to help emancipate and free the minds of generations to come by telling the whole story not made up versions. PBO is possible because of the struggles of Africans and African Americans who were bold, strong and the audacity to keep on hoping.
      Thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading your posts every day.

February 7, 2014 at 10:53 am

toothpaste bombs ? seriously ‘murka?

February 7, 2014 at 10:57 am

See that ObamaCare is about to hit 14 million and dems running away from it ? #pathetic

11. February 7, 2014 at 10:59 am

Good Morning TODers!

Remember my last update where my CT scans showed that I might have a fracture in my hip bone area? Had some xrays done yesterday and my bone doctor found no fractures and no need for surgery.

Now that I’ve read the morning paper (Rise & Shine), I’m going to take a nap. :)

12. 76 donna dem 4 obama
    February 7, 2014 at 11:00 am

GM TOD ~Happy Friday~

#BlackHistoryMonth

Did you know?

Welcome back Amk. You were missed, especially late at night!!

Have a great O’Day Everyone!

13. 80 donna dem 4 obama
    February 7, 2014 at 11:03 am

Chips or UT free me please. I think my “Did you know post” is stuck in moderation. There are two of them (because I thought I didn’t post the 1st one) so please delete the first one.

Thanks!

14. 82 CEB
    February 7, 2014 at 11:04 am

Good morning TOD and welcome back amk!

15. 83 dotster3
    February 7, 2014 at 11:11 am

I confess to still enjoying much of the Olympics—-watched a little last night. There’s still something special about watching the worlds’ best performing and competing. And I still like the idea of the Olympics—bringing the world together—even tho the reality is a little sketchy. And the introductory music will now be embedded in my head for a couple of weeks—-and lingering.

• 84 Layla
      February 7, 2014 at 11:17 am

I am very much in awe of the athletes and all of their hard work and skills, but I still will not be watching.

February 7, 2014 at 11:37 am

There are several events that I like to watch, like the figure skating, but I’m not a fan of the winter Olympics, I like the summer better. But like FLOTUS I do wish the U.S. team lots of success. And much safety.

16. 86 sherijr
    February 7, 2014 at 11:20 am

Congratulations (((((((((GB)))))))))) on your excellent news, you are a marvel ~ keep being strong.. you will win this! Good to see AMK back, you were missed :) . Congrats Grandpa Japa.. and glad you’re able to get back to work!

Thus far no real movement on my $65,798. water bill… called the city on Monday and was told I’d be called back by Wednesday. Did not happen, so I called them Thursday and spoke to an extremely blasé worker bee- who informed me that the bill was being reprocessed… I got a bit angry that no one bothered to contact me and discuss it… but that made zero impression.. anyhoo, will wait it out and see what the next bill looks like.

• 87 japa21
      February 7, 2014 at 11:27 am

Thanks to you and all the others who gave me the support this place always does. The little one is doing okay, I think. Trying to contact son this morning but haven’t gotten through to him. They keep taking blood tests which is driving my son and d-i-l crazy. But, as we keep telling them, if the docs were r worried he would be in NICU and not staying in the room with them.

His cousins will be coming in tomorrow to see if they can visit him. My other son is particularly thrilled that he now has a nephew.

• February 7, 2014 at 11:29 am

Japa, I’ve only just seen your news – congratulations Grandpa, wonderful!!!!

• 89 amk for obama
        February 7, 2014 at 11:30 am

Grampa japa? No body tells me anything any more.

Congrats grampa japa.

• 90 Alycee (@jazziz2)
        February 7, 2014 at 11:41 am

Congrats to the Japa family! May the new baby fill your lives with joy!

• 91 sherijr
        February 7, 2014 at 11:46 am

Moms & dads always more anxious I think than grandparents… will hold the little one in my thoughts, (((((japa)))))

• 92 Layla
        February 7, 2014 at 11:48 am

“A Celebration of Life”

Gather ’round and celebrate the joy that has been given.
        A gift of love – of flesh and blood. A tiny bit of heaven.

See the wonder of it all, and marvel at the sight,
        Share the happiness we know, celebrate the life.

Make memories of the times to come, of hours and days and years.
        Mark down each step, each task, each word – the laughter and the tears.

For a celebration of life is such, that one must never be
        In too big a hurry to stop and smell… to feel… to touch… to see.

Yes, gather ’round and celebrate the life that has been given,
        A gift of love – of hope eternal. Our tiny bit of heaven.

• February 7, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Congrats to you and your family, Japa. What an exciting time for all of you! Best wishes for the baby.

• 95 cookemom
        February 7, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Congrats Gramps!!!! What a joy which will help you get back to 100% quick, fast, and in a hurry. Gotta be able to keep up with the new addition.

Not to mention, you have to be in tip top form to navigate the snow banks around here.

17. February 7, 2014 at 11:23 am

Hello everyone!

Well, in my neck of the woods they are losing their minds over the idea the President will be issuing Executive Orders. Of course they behave as if it has never been done before and naturally President Obama is going beyond the pale, trashing the Constitution…….

I did a little research just to see what impact other President’s have had through the use of EO’s. This was the one that blew my mind:

1992 – President George H.W. Bush signed Executive Order 12803, privatizing infrastructure. The Order gave authority to transfer infrastructure “assets” by sale or long-term lease from a State or local government to a private party. The order lists examples of transferable infrastructure:

Roads ·
    Recycling/wastewater treatment facilities ·
    Solid waste disposal facilities ·
    Hospitals ·
    Prisons ·
    Schools ·
    Housing

I found some interesting tidbits that I posted for anyone interested.

• 97 carolyn
      February 7, 2014 at 11:36 am

That particular EO has had awful long term ramifications…privatizing prisons? waterways? Ports? Mass transit?…….now I understand why the Repubs….Kochs are so adamantly against PBO. They are reaping huge profits from these. It’s going to take a LONG time to recover from Reagan and the Bushes!!!

• February 7, 2014 at 11:41 am

I spent hours trying to find whether or not it had ever been revoked. I didn’t find it, but of course, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been or modified in some way. Whatever the case…the idea that such an order would ever be issued is beyond appalling.

• 99 yardarm756
      February 7, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I think the Emancipation Proclamation was also brought about by EO too. Not sure, think I read that somewhere.

• February 7, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Correct, Yardam. There were actually two EO’s. The first said that if the Southern States did not rejoin the union, the slaves would be freed. I think the second named the states to which the order applied. Should have looked it up, but I think that’s correct. :)

February 7, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Yes – and the order to desegregate the armed forces! If twitter were alive then, it would be: #BlameLincoln #BlameTruman

• 102 yardarm756
          February 7, 2014 at 1:32 pm

None of that matters to the rwnj’s.

February 7, 2014 at 1:48 pm

True that, Yardarm. How are ya today?

Just watched Andrea Mitchell interview Gen. Colin Powell about issues in this country, talking about today’s challenges – education, immigration, and the like.

Not sure if you saw it, but although the topics ranged from minority students to Black History Month to civil rights in the ’50s to immigration to civil political discourse to voting to what’s wrong with the Republican party, I’m pretty sure Powell never mentioned the President’s name or the elected office he won twice (although he mentioned Dubya when he spoke of early immigration reform efforts) – until the end when Andrea asked if he were still a Republican, having voted for Barack Obama in ’08. (He said he feels he is “more needed” by the Rs than the Ds, and felt Barack Obama was the best candidate in that first election.)

I have a lot of respect for Colin Powell, most recently because he spoke up strongly for candidate Barack Obama. It just seemed a little lacking today that he did not credit President Obama for any in-roads in our country. Nada. Zip. Not one mention. It was all about how Powell felt and what he was doing.

Realizing he was there to plug a documentary about himself, I still found that sad. You’d never know President Obama existed, listening to Powell, if you didn’t know it already or if Andrea hadn’t somewhat touched on his presidency.

18. 109 JER
    February 7, 2014 at 11:34 am
  19. 110 Nena20409
    February 7, 2014 at 11:40 am

Good, Good Morning TODville.

TGIF.

Loads of newsy stuff. Thank you, Host, Gate Keepers, Contributors and the Community at Large.

20. 111 JER
    February 7, 2014 at 11:44 am
  21. 112 Nena20409
    February 7, 2014 at 11:48 am

Looks like Liz Cheney lies just like her father. She lied about the amount of Funds raised.

22. 115 donna dem 4 obama
    February 7, 2014 at 12:14 pm

S & T send their love to TOD

23. 149 JER
    February 7, 2014 at 12:16 pm
  24. February 7, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Just so they know we know ….

#LandslideDEMS2014

Yes WE MUST

25. February 7, 2014 at 12:24 pm

For those of you who believe Dylan Farrow, Jon Lovett is doing a fantastic job of tweeting and linking to the reports from the time. Very revealing and very incriminating for Mr. Allen.

• 152 elo4obama/biden
      February 7, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I don’t know what to believe. Is he linking actual reports or just articles? Oh, good morning everyone. Congrats all around to those with good news to share today.

26. 153 Nena20409
    February 7, 2014 at 12:31 pm

Funny how MSM is ignoring that POTUS and sen Reid have diminished and demolished AIPAC and Netanyahu with the Iran sanctions. Now Crickets :?: Hmm?

Elephants have got their tongues? ;)

27. 154 Nena20409
    February 7, 2014 at 12:35 pm

photo/1

The same story. Those cherry-picking have pre-conceived partisan Motives.

28. 155 Nerdy Wonka
    February 7, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Oh. My. God.

Dylan Farrow is a brave, brave, person.

29. 156 Nerdy Wonka
    February 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm
    • 157 Nena20409
      February 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I remember reading the stories and I believed Dylan then. I was never a fan of Woody Allen. I have always found him creepy looking. Who takes pictures of your step-daughter necked? Who has affairs with a step-child? And for wicked idiots like BarbaraW to say that they were Not Blood relations is devious. Allen is manipulative. Had the charges been brought today, Allen would have been locked up for good.

No matter how many children Mia had, 14, according to some reports. 7 yrs old do not go around making accusations of molestation.

30. 158 JER
    February 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm
  31. 159 Linda
    February 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) is racheting up his criticism of former President Bill Clinton, suggesting Democratic candidates return any money he helped raise for them in protest of the Monica Lewinsky scandal.

“They can’t have it both ways. And so I really think that anybody who wants to take money from Bill Clinton or have a fundraiser has a lot of explaining to do,” Paul said in a C-SPAN “Newsmakers” interview set to air Sunday, as quoted by the Washington Times.

“In fact, I think they should give the money back,” he continued. “If they want to take position on women’s rights, by all means do. But you can’t do it and take it from a guy who was using his position of authority to take advantage of young women in the workplace.”

32. February 7, 2014 at 12:37 pm
  33. 167 Nerdy Wonka
    February 7, 2014 at 12:38 pm
  34. February 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Okay, someone explain this to me please. I just heard a commentator say that if the Republicans don’t pass immigration reform before the midterms, Latinos will punish the Democrats by staying at home. WTH?

35. 171 Nerdy Wonka
    February 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm
  36. February 7, 2014 at 12:46 pm

#TrustBarack

37. February 7, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Hijacking attempt …. apparently foiled ….

… plane has now landed in Istanbul …

38. 178 donna dem 4 obama
    February 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm
      February 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Bob Barr is still around? Oh, my. Didn’t he run for President under the libertarian party banner or something once? I remember when he and his wife showed up at their televised “convention.” Both looked like fish out of water, as though he were whispering the name of the party to her, as though he were adding, “We’re just doing this until Republicans want me to run for them.” LOW LIFE SCUM.

February 7, 2014 at 5:14 pm

So you sorry ass racists Republicans can’t defeat him in a election, so to get rid of him you want to impeach him.

39. 181 Nerdy Wonka
    February 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm
  40. 182 Bill R.
    February 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm
  41. 183 Nerdy Wonka
    February 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm
  42. 184 Bill R.
    February 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Excuse me, RT this one with better spelling:
    @SpeakerBoehner can pass #ImmigrationReform NOW!! #HoldaVOTE on bipartisan Senate Bill for #CIR @HouseDems @GOPConference @NancyPelosi @CNN

43. February 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Will post a heads up for PBO’s Michigan speech in about 30ish mins

44. 186 JER
    February 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm
  45. 187 Nena20409
    February 7, 2014 at 1:23 pm

On Sunday, a Temeculah, California man was arrested for allegedly pulling a shotgun on a 7 year-old Girl Scout who knocked on his door to try and sell him some Girl Scout Cookies. Police arrested 59 year-old John Dodrill on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, seized his weapon, and set bail at $25,000. In court on Wednesday, Dodrill entered a plea of “not guilty” to assault with a deadly weapon.

Here’s how the Riverside Sheriff’s Department described the incident on Sunday:

On February 2, 2014, officers from the Temecula Police Department responded to the 31000 block of Strawberry Tree Lane, in the city of Temecula in regard to an assault with a deadly weapon. The victim, who is a minor, was going door-to-door selling cookies. When the victim knocked on the suspect’s door, he opened the door and pointed a gun at her. The victim’s father witnessed the incident and called the police. The suspect was identified as John Dodrill, age 59 of Temecula. Officers took him into custody without incident and seized the weapon as evidence.
    ////

This coward is afraid of 7 yrs old or was it the Cookies? I hope he is locked up for the rest of his Life.

46. 188 Nena20409
    February 7, 2014 at 1:26 pm

photo/1

47. February 7, 2014 at 1:27 pm

OK, this is funny

48. 191 Nena20409
    February 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm

photo/1

49. 192 JER
    February 7, 2014 at 1:29 pm
  50. 196 JER
    February 7, 2014 at 1:31 pm
      February 7, 2014 at 5:56 pm

But but but the media told me that PBO was no longer popular and that the whole universe was #WAITINGFORHILLARY….

51. 198 Linda
    February 7, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Mrs Greenspan got the hijacking to and from exactly backwards.

She fakes her way through everything .

• 199 cookemom
      February 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Excellent interview with Colin Powell though.

• 200 Linda
        February 7, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Yes….except for her saying ” Your Republican Party ” when we all know it is also ” her ” Republican Party …and they her ” You voted for Obama, are you still a Republican ? “

• 201 cookemom
          February 7, 2014 at 1:53 pm

I don’t pay attention to her or any other pundit. They do what they do. I enjoyed hearing Colin Powell and what he had to say. As far as I was concerned, she was a prop on the set that gave him that particular venue to express himself. He was fantastic and no way, I let her distract from that.

It’s seldom to never that I let a pundit get under my skin. If I choose to tune into them, it’s usually because of a guest or panel that I’m interested in hearing. I separate the shaft from the sh!t and never waste pixels on them.

52. 202 JER