Feb

Happy Anniversary Let’s Move!

lets-move-philly

Let’s Move: Four Years Of Showing How We’re Moving Towards A Healthier Nation

Four years ago, First Lady, Michelle Obama launched a national movement, Let’s Move!, to create a healthier future for kids and families. Four years later, Let’s Move! has moved a nation in a healthier direction, and this nation is on the move. This healthier movement is the new norm, and it is happening all over the country. From child care centers through high school and after school, from sun up to sun down, the country is moving faster every day towards a healthier future. Over the last four years, Let’s Move! has worked to create more opportunities for physical activity and to improve the overall quality of school meals. Across the nation, communities have gained access to healthy and affordable food, and families have gained the information needed to make more nutritional choices.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found obesity rates among low-income preschoolers declined, from 2008 through 2011, in 19 of 43 states and territories studied. The First Lady – in collaboration with the Partnership for a Healthier America (PHA) – launched the Drink Up campaign, an unprecedented collaboration of companies coming together to encourage Americans across the country to drink more water. It’s a simple message that everyone can do to stay energized, focused, and refreshed.

In 2010, the Partnership for a Healthier America and First Lady Michelle Obama announced a commitment with 16 companies in the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation (HWCF) pledging to take action to reduce 1 trillion product calories by 2012 and 1.5 trillion product calories by 2015. Last month, it was announced that these food and beverage companies sold 6.4 trillion fewer calories in the United States in 2012 than they did in 2007, thus exceeding the HWCF’s 2015 goal by more than 400 percent, and this translates into a reduction of 78 calories per person in the United States per day. USDA implemented new school lunch and breakfast standards starting in the 2012-2013 academic year and implementation of the new Smart Snacks in School nutrition standards will start in the 2014-2015 school year. These standards mean the quality of food sold in school vending machines and a la carte lines will change significantly.

More here

Lets Move London-0457

michelle-obama-elmo-fruits-veggies-ftr

Michelle Obama Gardening_wide-cb960d9b92239d4800c8b32df9f5f29c9e68a519-s6-c30

Michelle_Obama_Lets_Move_2nd_anniversary_tour_February_9,_2012

img_pod_3110-pod-sesame-michelle-obama

Michelle Obama Campaigns To Bring More Physical Activity Back To Schools

MichelleObama3

105 Responses to “Happy Anniversary Let’s Move!”

1. 1 Grab a Mop Grace
    February 9, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Let’s move!!

2. 9 Nerdy Wonka
    February 9, 2014 at 7:17 pm
    February 9, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Hel-lo GaMG, I haven’t seen you in a while. Nice entrance!

4. February 9, 2014 at 7:46 pm

In a memo circulated on Monday, Denlinger stated:

”Specifically, I plan to propose a new section in Article I – the Pennsylvania ‘bill of rights’ – that will prohibit government from punishing an individual or entity if the individual or entity makes hiring or other employment decisions, or provides services, accommodations (including housing accommodations), advantages, facilities, goods or privileges based on sincerely held beliefs.”

• 19 99ts
      February 9, 2014 at 8:09 pm

when will the wives, daughters, sisters of these neanderthals tell the truth about birth control? No way I could ever be quiet if a relative tried this nonsense.

5. February 9, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Love that there is a state dinner to look forward to this week! What stunning gown will Michelle be wearing? Would love to see a retrospective of previous state dinners — Michelle looked so wonderful in her gold gown at the India state dinner and jewel tones at another — her gorgeous skin tone and enviable height and fitness really get to shine at these events.

I normally avoid ridiculing someone’s awkwardness (who among us hasn’t had an awkward moment they wish they could take back), but the callous indifference in the way Hollande treated his (now former) mistress last month for a younger, showier new mistress says to me that the world should ridicule him as much as possible.

In that spirit (you can bet your sweet bippee that an internet whiz kid would be hard pressed to find any example of these Hollande moments by President Obama):

Background:

6. 21 Nerdy Wonka
    February 9, 2014 at 7:52 pm
    • 22 Layla
      February 9, 2014 at 8:02 pm

“I’m uncomfortable w/a white guy debating how a black guy should react to situation a white guy won’t ever be in”. Well I am not uncomfortable, I am fucking sick of it!!!!!!!!!

• February 9, 2014 at 8:10 pm

and I am sick of some white folks expecting Blk folks to take racist BS on the chin…of having to defend your right to defend yourself against that same racism….WE refuse to go back to the days of JIM CROW….

Forwarddddddd>>>>>>>>.

• 24 Nerdy Wonka
          February 9, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Bravo, PrettyFoot58!

• 26 lockewasright
          February 9, 2014 at 8:56 pm

I am sick of my fellow whites who will keep quiet when bigotry happens. I will confront other whites EVERY TIME, so that the push back isn’t just coming from the victim. It has to happen that way. The assumption by a bigot that all of the other whites are okay with whatever bigoted shit stream they want to release from their mouth pisses me off almost as much as the silence from whites who don’t agree.

• February 9, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Thanks for posting these, NW.

The day white people stop acting like they have any clue what it means to be non-white will be a major advance for humanity.

#FORWARD Together

• 30 Nerdy Wonka
        February 9, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Thanks, Bob. Jonathan Chait’s timeline was so infuriating. As a white man, he will never know what it feels like to be called the n-word, a monkey, have department store clerks follow you around while shopping, have department store clerks call 911 just because they think as a Black person, you can’t afford what they’re selling and must have stolen the credit card.

He’s actually lecturing Jamelle Bouie, a Black journalist on the proper way for Black athletes to respond and react to racist slurs. He’s all like, so a rowdy fan calls you a racist slur, so what? You shouldn’t react. You should just go on your merry way. How about it’s wrong for the fan to display such ugly behavior to another person? Nope. Jonathan Chait doesn’t chastise that ugly behavior, he blames and chastises Marcus Smart.

Black people aren’t robots. We have feelings and it hurts to be called a racist slur. It hurts when society doesn’t regard us as human beings and expects us to take and endure every racist slur with no reaction or emotion. It hurts when we aren’t allowed to display anger because we constantly have to take other’s feelings into accounts or be careful that we aren’t “scaring” them. Society would never expect that or demand that of white people.

Anyway, thanks Bob for your tweet to Marcus Smart.

• February 9, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Well, Yep ….

• 37 99ts
      February 9, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Some days I am so ashamed to be white – it just feels awful – the pundits are out there expecting the black guy to take anything an everything & keep on smiling – but the white guy who comes out with the racism – well wasn’t his fault – it’s never the white guys fault. Scum. Ban him from the games.

• 38 Cindy
        February 9, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Good afternoon 99ts and happy Monday to you!

Sadly, the more things change, some will always remain the same. Racism is ugly, and it hurts to the core of the soul and spirit. I know first hand, all to well, what it feels like and looks like.

There will always be hatred and ugliness in the hearts of those who continue to look down on us, and believe that their existence is superior to those of us who are blessed to have a “permanent tan.”

Every time I hear of this ugliness, it just reminds me that it didn’t start out of nowhere, and it will not end out of nowhere; it’s taught, learned and practiced and it will always be present. The more things change-the more some remain the same.

• 39 99ts
          February 9, 2014 at 9:56 pm

Hi Cindy – nice to “see you” – too much lurking – posting is good :)

I think it will end – given the world melting pot – one day everyone will be the same shade of whatever – doubt I will be here to see it. I also think there are enough young ones who can see the world through their own eyes – not all follow the bad things they are taught.

7. 41 Nerdy Wonka
    February 9, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Awesome. Wish him the best of luck.

8. 43 Nerdy Wonka
    February 9, 2014 at 8:37 pm
  9. 44 lockewasright
    February 9, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Every 7 years we get a paid sabbatical at my work. April 2nd will be 13 years at this job for me. I will be counting down the 1 year that remains until my 2nd sabbatical! Obamacare makes it a very real possibility that I will leave my job, move to where I really want to live, and start a family business with my wife. The idea of giving up a steady paycheck to move and risk running my own business scares me, but the idea of not at least attempting the life that I want in the place that I like is even scarier.

• February 9, 2014 at 9:07 pm

“… but the idea of not at least attempting the life that I want in the place that I like is even scarier.”

Could not agree with you more, lockewasright. That’s from someone who gave up a great and comfortable glide to take on a major challenge and am living the consequences of that decision 24×7. Fortunately I have a wife who was willing to take the risk with me. Work in progress … but for so many reasons it would have been the wrong decision to stay comfy.

Go for it!!! And, #OBAMACARE is truly enabling many to consider doing so.

• 46 mtmarilyn
      February 9, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Good for you, lockewasright. I had my own business for 28 years and loved every minute of it. I remember thinking should I do it. I knew I had to try. I was fortunate that circumstances allowed me to do this. You will never regret at least giving it a try. You will succeed, I know it.

• 47 nathkatun7
      February 9, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I am proud of you for taking the risk to try to do something you like. My view is that it’s better to pursue your passion, even if you may not succeed, than not to try at all and live with regrets. In any case, I wish you and your family all the best.

10. 48 Nerdy Wonka
    February 9, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Bahahahahahahahaha…smart business move. They get the munchies, you get the cash.

11. 52 anniebella
    February 9, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Thank you FLOTUS for “Let’s Move”. Happy 4th Anniversary. Keep up the good work FLOTUS.

12. 53 Nerdy Wonka
    February 9, 2014 at 9:10 pm
  13. 55 lockewasright
    February 9, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Watching Stevie Wonder sing ‘We Can Work It Out’ with Ringo and Paul in the audience. This is good stuff!

14. 57 Lynn
    February 9, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Totally agree with you 99ts.

15. 61 pickle48
    February 9, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Gov. Brownback, Kansas, was discussed a page or two ago. This 90-minute Frontline video about the 1996 elections, Washington’s Other Scandal, is no longer available, but the transcript is: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/scandal/etc/script.html

I used this video in a social problems class in the late 1990’s. It provides important context about the Koch Brothers and the senate race between Jill Docking and Sam Brownback. (If you have the stomach for it, or heart, read about the Dems and the Arapahoe [if I remember correctly] toward the end.)

This is an excellent source to save for political reference.

• 62 pickle48
      February 9, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Oops, page to about halfway through the transcript to find the first reference to Jill Docking.

Knowing what I knew about Harold Ickes was one reason I supported PBO in 2008.

16. 63 99ts
    February 9, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Is it me – Everywhere I read (except TOD) I see GOP talking points – even if being refuted – they still get into the news. Are there no DEM talking points – are dem members of congress so weak the refuse to give their views on anything. No wonder it is a continual up hill battle for the President.

17. February 9, 2014 at 9:31 pm

He makes a couple of very important statements ….

18. 65 donna dem 4 obama
    February 9, 2014 at 9:35 pm

To all our Illinois TOD’ers

19. 68 Lynn
    February 9, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Somebody help me out. I just can’t figure out who is HOTTER (inside and out) FLOTUS or POTUS

February 9, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I feel for sane people who live under Republican “leadership” – Repubs seem so incompetent, so often.

As if ruling against the Gov. Scott Walker administration on constitutional grounds wasn’t enough, the judge who threw out 29 tickets against singers protesting at the state Capitol Wednesday also took a whack at the state for altering citations in cases where in which police issued the wrong charges.

Two tickets issued to John Bell were among the ones Dane County Circuit Judge John Markson, in a decision Wednesday, tossed out on constitutional grounds. But the judge was compelled to issue a ruling anyway because he felt the state’s alteration of the charge on two tickets, four months after they were issued, was “wrong.”
    …………………….//

February 9, 2014 at 9:53 pm
  22. 75 Lynn
    February 9, 2014 at 9:55 pm

JMPO……..I WANT to vote for Joe Biden for our next President.

Meanwhile, we’ve got a lot of local and state elections to work on.

Every school board, every county, our vote does count.

February 9, 2014 at 9:56 pm
  24. 77 99ts
    February 9, 2014 at 10:01 pm

There are a couple of v good front pagers at BJ – this one I really enjoy reading

Having lived with a scientist for too many years to articulate – this is the best way to take down a load of s..t passing as an educated analysis.

“But he shouldn’t get to claim authority he doesn’t have — the intellectual buttresses of knowledge he hasn’t actually worked to acquire or analytical effort he hasn’t put in. Every single link in this piece but the one that just takes to Keynes is flawed ..”

25. February 9, 2014 at 10:05 pm
  26. February 9, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Give Buffy a very hard time until they commit to a vigorous effort to elect DEMS on 4 Nov 2014:

27. 87 globalcitizenlinda
    February 9, 2014 at 10:13 pm

so some in the NFL are planning to treat the young man (Mr. Michael Sam) differently!

I hope people can let others be as they were created!

February 9, 2014 at 10:14 pm
  29. 97 anniebella
    February 9, 2014 at 10:37 pm

How do we get in touch with Democrat biggest Super PAC and let them know that since they are sitting out 2014, we Obama supporters will sit out 2016 even if Hillary runs.

• February 9, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Hi Annie, We can’t sit out any election irrespective of what some PAC does. See my comments above, one of which is a tweet to two of the key PAC folk – Buffy and Paul – and the other has a link with all the contact info for the PAC. What matters is that we challenge them to get with the program of electing DEMS, at every level from Federal to Cities, in 2014. Go for it!!

30. 100 Nerdy Wonka
    February 9, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Holy smokes! Lupita Nyong’o is breathtaking.

February 9, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Actually heard on The Weather Channel for our area:

Tonight, BITTERLY cold … Tomorrow, VERY cold …

They’re running out of awful descriptors! What’s the freakin’ difference, it’s damn cold! :)

• 103 99ts
      February 9, 2014 at 11:18 pm

We get a forecast from the weather bureau that simply gives the expected temperature, cloud, rain details – then the TV announcers get hold of it and we have hot, very hot, steamy hot and extremely hot – and what’s the difference – it’s damn hot :)

Actually – we seem to have almost had the worst of the extremely hot – next weekend heading that way – but otherwise not too bad. I do hope your cold heads away as well. Reading about snow, ice and icy rain – it sounds quite ghastly – I’m sure I would be hibernating.

February 9, 2014 at 11:39 pm

It’s not too ghastly, I found, when you don’t have to go to work in the morning! That’s one of the best things about being retired, especially living in a midwestern climate, as I do now.