Feb

President to award Medal of Honor to 19 overlooked minority service members

Staff Sergeant Melvin Morris

Washington Post: President Obama will correct a historical act of discrimination next month when he awards the Medal of Honor, the nation’s highest commendation for combat valor, to 19 Hispanic, Jewish and African-American veterans overlooked previously because of their racial or ethnic backgrounds.

The unusual presentation will culminate a 12-year Pentagon review ordered by Congress into past discrimination in the ranks, and will hold a particular poignancy hosted by the nation’s first African-American president.

More here

WH.gov: On March 18th, 2014, President Barack Obama will award 24 Army veterans the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry. These veterans will receive the Medal of Honor in recognition of their valor during major combat operations in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. Each of these Soldiers’ bravery was previously recognized by award of the Distinguished Service Cross, the nation’s second highest military award; that award will be upgraded to the Medal of Honor in recognition of their gallantry, intrepidity and heroism above and beyond the call of duty.

In 2002, Congress, through the Defense Authorization Act, called for a review of Jewish American and Hispanic American veteran war records from WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War, to ensure those deserving the Medal of Honor were not denied because of prejudice.  During the review, records of several Soldiers of neither Jewish nor Hispanic descent were also found to display criteria worthy of the Medal of Honor.  The 2002 Act was amended to allow these Soldiers to be honored with the upgrade – in addition to the Jewish and Hispanic American Soldiers.

The 24 recipients of the Medal of Honor follow below….

See here

Master Sergeant Mike C. Pena will receive the Medal of Honor posthumously for his courageous actions while serving as a member of Company F, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division during combat operations against an armed enemy in Waegwan, Korea, on September 4, 1950

More images of the recipients here

133 Responses to “President to award Medal of Honor to 19 overlooked minority service members”

1. 2 donna dem 4 obama
    February 21, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Bringing this over from the Early Bird Chat because we have a lot of TODer’s from IL here and wondered if any of you had visited this particular McDonald’s? It is apparently still standing but owned by another AA.

#BlackHistoryMonth

Did You Know That?

After the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr major cities like Chicago, Detroit, LA etc., had all experienced social unrest. The need for an injection of hope and inspiration was at the forefront in the African-American community. It appeared Blacks everywhere had reached their peak with the injustice in this Country. Recognizing the need to address this problem and sensing that Black business leaders were better able to address issues and concerns in the community where they live and work the McDonald’s Corporation offered a Franchise to a black man. The recipient of opportunity was Herman Petty opening his first restaurant in December 1968 on 67th and Stony Island on the Southside of Chicago.

Mr. Petty went on to own numerous other McDonald’s locations and was a founding member of the NBMOA (National Black McDonald’s Operators Association). Today there are over 300 African American Owner Operators of McDonald’s nationwide.

• 4 japa21
      February 21, 2014 at 3:45 pm

To be honest, I wasn’t even aware of it. But, I lived in Milwaukee at the time.

• 6 yardarm756
      February 21, 2014 at 5:37 pm

donna. I was in Chicago living just a few blocks from that McDonalds in Chicago. Several companies in Chicago opened up employment opportunities as a result of the riot on the West Side. Illinois Bell, AT&T plus municipal jobs that had been previously closed to minorities.
      I was one of those that undoubtedly was the recipient as a relatively new hire to Illinois Bell.
      When Dr King was killed, I was a new hire(5 months).and the Bell System was on a labor work stoppage that was quite long. Since I was a junior Engineer, I was reqired to work through the strike as a long distance operator(cord board). When the strike ended, the Company opened a separate training facility on the South Side to employ the disadvantaged and overlooked for jobs as installers, splicers and key punch operators.
      Since there were no black supervisors in the company that could train new people, a bunch of black folks that had the skills but had been denied promotion were quickly elevated as supervisors-trainers. I was one of those tapped to teach electricity/electronics to ‘gang’ members and drop-outs.
      I’m happy to say that 98% of my students were successful in passing the screening test for entry into the company as plant qualified. In ’69-’70 it is safe to say that most of the telephone installers on the South Side had been students of mine………Life was finally good, though short lived.

2. 14 japa21
    February 21, 2014 at 3:43 pm

This is, of course, purely a rhetorical question because we all know the answer is “They’re nuts.”

3. February 21, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Do we vote again for Meta tomorrow? I’ve already lost the link. . .

4. 22 Nerdy Wonka
    February 21, 2014 at 3:51 pm

5. 23 Linda
    February 21, 2014 at 3:51 pm

To Jake Tapper :

Jake,

The Obama Administration did NOT set a goal of 7 million by 3-31-2014. That was the CBO and it was NOT a goal.

I will be watching to see if you forward that lie at 4 PM like you just did in your promo.

6. February 21, 2014 at 3:55 pm

7. February 21, 2014 at 4:01 pm

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
    …………………

Genius Girl Scout sells cookies outside pot club
    Posted on February 20, 2014 | By vho@sfchronicle.com (Vivian Ho)

It all boils down to one of the first rules of business: know your customer.

Girl Scout Danielle Lei, 13, knew exactly what her customers wanted when she set up her cookie table outside of the Green Cross, a medical marijuana dispensary in San Francisco’s Excelsior neighborhood.

“They get very hungry after!” she told the East Bay Express.

Very hungry indeed. Within 45 minutes, Danielle sold out of cookies.

8. 30 Nerdy Wonka
    February 21, 2014 at 4:04 pm

What a great guy. Looking forward to his performance of ‘Happy’ at the Oscars.

For just an easy $10,000, Pharrell Williams’ infamous mountie hat that he wore to the 2014 Grammy Awards can be yours. Just kidding, it’s going to be way more than that by the time the eBay auction is over. The auction started at $200 and within hours was over $10K.

But hey, at least the money is going to a good cause. Williams writes that 100 percent of the proceeds benefit From One Hand to Another, which is the non-profit that supports the Pharrell Williams Resource Centers’ (PWRC) learning programs that help underserved youth throughout the country.

February 21, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Thanks Chips for front-paging this!

February 21, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Let’s try to save that date if at all possible. It falls on a Tuesday .

11. 38 Linda
    February 21, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Tony Blinken live on Jake Tapper

Ben Rhodes live on Alex Wagner

I was flipping back and forth….Tapper and Wagner asking the identical questions….both then whined about the answers.

• 39 Linda
      February 21, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Whoa…

Now they are BOTH doing segments on House of Cards..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is like someone is controlling all the media.

12. 40 0388jojothecat
    February 21, 2014 at 4:23 pm

OT: Arizona has a bill that will allow teachers to beat children whether the parents approve or not. Randi is talking about all the states (mostly Red states) where state legislatures are passing these draconian laws. I hope they don’t pass it and/or the Governor does not sign it. What is wrong with these so called Christians?

• 41 Linda
      February 21, 2014 at 4:27 pm

A bill intended to define corporal punishment and ease some restrictions on spanking in Kansas has died in committee.

House Bill 2699, introduced by Rep. Gail Finney, D-Wichita, would have allowed parents to hit children hard enough to leave redness or bruising. It also would have allowed parents to give permission to others, including caregivers or teachers, to spank their children.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/19/4834744/kansas-spanking-bill-will-not.html#storylink=cpy

A female DEMOCRAT introduced it. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 42 dotster3
        February 21, 2014 at 5:48 pm

I couldn’t believe that bill, and I really couldn’t believe it was introduced by a Dem. I could write a book on this topic, but physical discipline is never ok. It teaches the child nothing, other than aggression and manifests in lifelong ill effects, which run the gamut. It’s a big reason why we have so many emotionally damaged people walking among us, acting out in all kinds of damaging ways. Good that this dumb thing died in committee.

• 43 japa21
      February 21, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Per the Bible;

“He who spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes” (Proverbs 13:24) and “Withhold not correction from a child: for if thou strike him with the rod, he shall not die. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and deliver his soul from hell.” (Proverbs 23:13-14)

I am not condoning this. But this is the type of mentality they fall into. Again, they pick and choose that which supports their beliefs.

• 44 99ts
        February 21, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Arizona has a bill that will allow teachers to beat children WHETHER THE PARENTS APPROVE OR NOT

The bible as quoted – relates to parents (well fathers) – not 3rd party people who think they are a law unto themselves. People who like to hit children often go way too far & do serious damage to the children. People who grow up with violence have little chance of not becoming violent.

I admit (sadly) to slapping my child once – she instantly slapped me back. I learnt the lesson she was teaching.

13. 45 GGail
    February 21, 2014 at 4:46 pm

This recognition is so wonderful – even if it is overdue.

Thanks HF & Chips

14. 46 Linda
    February 21, 2014 at 4:50 pm

A top aide to Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) dismissed a complaint about conditions in a facility treating the mentally ill with the words “no one cares about crazy people.”

Other top aides brought a complaint a woman’s family filed against the Milwaukee county executive’s office concerning her death after being treated at the Milwaukee County Mental Health Complex to the attention of then-Walker deputy chief of staff Kelly Rindfleisch.

The woman, Cindy Anczak, died in 2006 because of complications having to do with starvation. She lost 22 pounds over roughly five weeks while staying at the complex, according to the Center for Media and Democracy’s PR Watch in Wisconsin, which flagged the email exchange. Anczak’s family filed the complaint with the Milwaukee County executive office in 2010.

That exchange between then-Walker deputy chief of staff Kelly Rindfleisch and other aides came to light as part of a massive document dump of emails from Walker’s time as Milwaukee County executive. In the email, Rindfleisch forwarded the complaint from Anczak’s family to other Walker staffers.

Rindfleisch first received the complaint through her official county email address and then forwarded it through her personal email address to Walker campaign staffers.

15. 47 Linda
    February 21, 2014 at 4:52 pm

UAW’s Volkswagen Union Appeal Cites Interference From Sen. Corker

The United Auto Workers union is appealing a union representation election for Chattanooga, Tennessee Volkswagen workers citing interference from Sen. Bob Corker (R-TN) and other groups and lawmakers in the state.

The UAW announced its appeal with the National Labor Relations Board on Friday.

The appeal argues that Corker, Tennessee Gov. William Haslam and State House Speaker Beth Harwell, among others, “conducted what appears to have been a coordinated and widely publicized coercive campaign. They worked, in concert with their staffs and others, to deprive” Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. “workers of their federally-protected right, through the Election, to support and select the UAW as their exclusive representation under Section 9(a) of the National Labor Relations Act (the “Act”), free of coercion, intimidation, threats and interference.”

16. 48 Vicki
    February 21, 2014 at 5:05 pm

I could not see my Gov. Andrew Cuomo at the WH Gov. meeting.
    Anyone else spot him?

• 49 Vicki
      February 21, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Yikes. I did some research and apparently Andrew Cuomo has a “tradition” of avoiding DC. ????
      Have to ask—-would the tradition continue if a Republican was in the WH?

17. February 21, 2014 at 5:09 pm

18. 51 HZ
    February 21, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Good Day to my Chips, Danny and TOD family. Our president is always thinking ahead, fairly making actions count to uplift, encourage, and spread the compassion around. Love this man so very much. And pray for continued wisdom, protection, and compassion.

We have still an awesome journey to make with him, but as Bobfr reminds us, “TrustBarack.” HZ

19. February 21, 2014 at 5:24 pm

:lol: :lol:

Wayne Rooney has signed a new contract with Manchester United, which will run until June 2019 and reportedly raises his wages to £300,000 a week. Shortly after signing the deal, which followed months of negotiations, the 28-year-old striker announced that he will be forced to demand a transfer this summer unless he is given an even longer contract worth even more money.

“I am delighted to commit my future to Manchester United,” Rooney told reporters. “But it seems unlikely that we’ll qualify for the Champions League next season and I know Chelsea would still like to have me and my agent says Man United will still do anything I want in order to keep me, so unless they double my new wages and throw in all the raw meat I can eat, I’ll have to demand a transfer. Again. But all that aside, this truly is a wonderful day. Glory glory Man United!”

February 21, 2014 at 5:26 pm

21. 81 Nerdy Wonka
    February 21, 2014 at 5:38 pm

22. 82 africa
    February 21, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Hello everybody.

23. 83 MightyPamela
    February 21, 2014 at 5:42 pm

S’up y’all?

24. 84 Linda
    February 21, 2014 at 5:53 pm

The National Rifle Association has paid off the second largest campaign finance fine in the history of Rhode Island, The Providence Journal reported on Friday.

The pro-gun group paid the $63,000 fine on Jan. 27, a few days after reaching a settlement with the state’s Board of Elections. The settlement came in response to a complaint filed last year by a group called The Rhode Island Progressive Democrats, which argued that at least as far back as 2002 the NRA had failed to disclose donors to its state-based political action committee (PAC).

According to the Journal, the state’s Board of Elections ultimately found that the NRA’s state PAC had violated state law by not creating a separate bank account for funds it had received from the NRA’s federal PAC.

The Rhode Island Progressive Democrats told the newspaper it will now look at whether the NRA may have broken similar laws in other states.

25. 88 sherijr
    February 21, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Yep I am loving this Hopey Changey stuff… Well done Mr. President.

February 21, 2014 at 7:58 pm

So am I sherijr. By the way did Baltimore Gas make amends to you for their gross error? :)

• 90 sherijr
        February 22, 2014 at 9:19 am

well they didn’t make me pay $65,000 dollars :) At first they gave me a new seemingly arbitrary number of $635. for the 6 months of water and I said uh uh- no way that could be correct either. Then I spoke to someone in assessments and she was very helpful.. said she’d have the meter re-read etc and get back to me.. asked me to pay $30.00 for now and in a few weeks I’d get a new bill. Well last week I paid the $30.00 and found out my new bill is $272.00- which they never sent me.. anyway, that number seems to be real and feels appropriate. But I’m going to call them again next week and tell them I want them to send me a real bill.. I did ask if my bill was the largest they’ve sent out… NOPE- I was told the largest was for a half million dollars! So guess I’m feeling kinda lucky, lol.

February 22, 2014 at 9:39 am

Glad to hear that things are more or less resolved – but the aggravation they put you through was enough to just wipe out the whole damn bill and give you a zero balance. Oh well, as you said, things could be a lot worse! :)

• 92 sherijr
            February 22, 2014 at 9:45 am

yeah I don’t think they’d do that- wipe out the bill.. I’d be happy if they’d just Send me a bill in a timely manner.. I’m supposed to get one every 3 months.. not every 6 months. I like Baltimore, but they do seem to have some problems in this area.. hopefully that will get resolved eventually too. Good morning :)

26. 93 africa
    February 21, 2014 at 6:55 pm

MSM collusion with GOP alive and well.

27. February 21, 2014 at 7:02 pm

So many are posting about Ukraine and the Maiden. I do not really understand the situation, but I have a friend from Russia on FB. We actually were friends before she moved. Anyway she sent out a link and I translated it with google translator so it’s not perfect. It was also written a couple days ago. I did post a current FB post of the author at the very end so you get a sense of what is current. This is my first public blog and I don’t really know what I’m doing, but if you are interested in what a young male resident in Kiev thinks, check this link. . .

28. 101 dotster3
    February 21, 2014 at 7:04 pm

“You can drink it, but don’t come in direct contact with it”—–what N.C. residents are being told about their water polluted by the Duke Energy coal-ash spill into 70 miles of the river bordering N.C./Va. Spill under investigation, water testing with high levels of arsenic and other toxic metals. Investigation of the ties between N.C. regulators and Duke Energy, big cover-up of the spill. N.C. Gov. worked for Duke Energy for 30 years, has received over $1 million in campaign donations from the co., owns undisclosed amount of stock in the co. I can’t believe all the environmental disasters which are polluting water supplies, all as a direct or indirect consequence of greed, corporate negligence and greed.

• 102 99ts
      February 21, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Presumably what it does to your skin can be seen – who knows what it does to your insides???

As Rachel was asking last night – why isn’t the beltway all over this?

• 103 57andfemale
        February 22, 2014 at 8:15 am

By the way, Rachel was phenomenal on Bill Maher Friday night. Just phenomenal.

• 104 99ts
          February 22, 2014 at 8:18 am

I’ll have to find it online – we don’t get the show in my world.

My husband has been on the ladder cleaning gutters – I told him to be very thankful it is only leaves – and not ice and snow that clog things up – do hope it all gets better for you soon.

• 105 57andfemale
            February 22, 2014 at 9:23 am

We’re in for a cold week but I am extremely grateful to Mr. 57 who chopped and cleared multiple feet of ice and snow out of the gutters, around the downspouts. We both moved snow to the street and hopefully we have moved enough to avoid any future flooding. I don’t want him doing these things at 74 years old, but he did an amazing job.

It’s just bitter cold for the next week. This is an interminable winter…….

Make sure Mr. 99ts stays safe on those ladders!

• February 21, 2014 at 7:19 pm

My husband got a laugh and then angry when I read it to him. How stupid do they think people are?

29. February 21, 2014 at 7:11 pm

30. 123 Ladyhawke
    February 21, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Minimum Truth: The Hollow Argument Against Higher Wages

By Joe Conason

————————————-

But even if 500,000 fewer jobs are created in the short run, that somewhat notional cost must be weighed against the indisputable benefit to low-wage workers. As economist Dean Baker explains:

With 25 million people projected to be in the pool of beneficiaries from a higher minimum wage, this means that we can expect affected workers to put in on average about 2 percent fewer hours a year. However when they do work, those at the bottom will see a 39.3 percent increase in pay
    When the clear social benefits of raising wages are contrasted with the dubious warnings of lost jobs, there is no real argument. If we intend to address poverty and reduce inequality, higher wages across the workforce are imperative – but especially at the bottom.

————————————-

February 21, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I believe there’s a whole lotta truth to this….

February 21, 2014 at 7:58 pm

ABSOLUTELY!! I’ve always thought this.

• 126 LDS
      February 21, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hello everyone,
      I was absolutely offended when I went to the mailbox today to receive a “Ready For Hillary” campaign letter. I am NOT ready for Hillary nor Biilary. I wrote that on the mail I am sending back to them and told them in bold letters TAKE MY NAME OFF YOUR MAILING LIST UNLESS AND UNTIL YOU ARE RADY TO FIGHT A DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS for 2014! I just do not trust Bill.
      The nerve of them……she sits quietly and speaks on issues when it is safe.
      I dare to think that Tavis & Co. can hardly wait to do their dirty work, meaning the Clinton’s. As part of me believe Tavis is sitting back salivating on his next book with a nod of approval from the Clintons once they get in.

The insult was she thinks she should be the FIRST woman president! Hell, I ‘d rather Wendy Williams.
      Seriously, I tried to send an e- mail, but there was no place to comment disapproval. I just closest downs quick as possible. Now, that they have my e-mail I let the know how I find this distasteful.

• 127 Lynn
      February 21, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Well, the last two democratic presidents were from the south, hopefruit

32. 129 MightyPamela
    February 21, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Just got a new book in the mail from my brother. “Kennedy’s Last Stand”, by Michael E. Salla, PhD. http://www.ExoPolitics.org I’ve read the acknowlegedments and the introduction, may not be back tonight. Looks like an interesting read!

• February 21, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Enjoy your evening. I’m always looking for a good read about Pres. Kennedy.

• 131 carolyn
        February 21, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Have you read Dallas, 1963 ? It is a fabulous read. About Dallas in the three years that led up to November 1963. Excellently researched and excellently written. A different perspective on that time. One thing I can say is that Dallas was run like a plantation!

• February 21, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Thank you for the suggestion. I haven’t read it. We watched a TV special in Nov. of the local TV coverage in Dallas, TX of the 22 Nov. it was really surprising for us.

33. 133 globalcitizenlinda