Feb

Coming Up

11:0: School Wellness Announcement by the First Lady and Secretary Vilsack

White House Live

12:45: Press Briefing by Jay Carney

3:0 We the Geeks: Celebrating Black History Month

Watch live on Google+ or at WH.gov/We-the-Geeks

3:05: President Obama delivers remarks on manufacturing innovation institutes, The East Room

6:05: Delivers remarks at the National Organizing Summit, Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Washington, DC (Pooled for TV)

7:10: Delivers remarks and answers questions at an Organizing for Action dinner, Mandarin Oriental Hotel (Print Pool for Remarks Only)

Chat away!

113 Responses to “Coming Up”

February 25, 2014 at 11:00 am

Orange √√

2. 22 africa
    February 25, 2014 at 11:07 am

Yesterday Joy Reid said she want to get social media voice in her show on certain topics they like to see covered. I want her to bust this two bit Jindhal and the abhorrent Obamacare distortions.

February 25, 2014 at 11:08 am

Beauts. Gas guzzlers. But still beauts.

February 25, 2014 at 11:14 am

This reminds me of a favorite quote of mine from Henri Matisse: “Renoir once said to me, ‘When I have arranged a bouquet for the purpose of painting it, I always turn to the side I did not plan.’” <<< The very definition of my life! Well, everybody's life, of course.

5. 35 africa
    February 25, 2014 at 11:16 am

6. February 25, 2014 at 11:16 am

Good Morning All
    The latest development in the Christie is going down saga:

7. February 25, 2014 at 11:18 am

So happy to see GB on the Gold pedestal!

8. 54 africa
    February 25, 2014 at 11:24 am

9. 55 sherijr
    February 25, 2014 at 11:32 am

My son’s school has PE only 1 quarter per year- I find that horrible. When I and my two eldest sons attended school in CA – we had P.E. every single day for the whole school year.

• 56 57andfemale
      February 25, 2014 at 11:41 am

Arts have gotten the axe as well. Music helps with math, theater with interpersonal skills, history, English, etc. Working with various art media helps with learning disabilities, spatial relationships. Not to mention the fact that arts bring joy and expression and cooperation and understanding and……..

• 57 sherijr
        February 25, 2014 at 11:52 am

Exactly, my son’s ‘art’ class consisted of a quarter also and was only for kids who wanted to join in as a ‘club’.. no grade/ no credit. My son joined- and enjoyed it, but what it consisted of, was having the kids involved paint a mural in the school- which was great, but why not all year? I’m sure it wasn’t credited because they didn’t have an actual ‘art teacher’.

• 58 57andfemale
          February 25, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Talking to some of my friends who teach theater and music: they do this in order to hire and pay teachers as little as possible. It’s more ‘economical’ to only hire them for a quarter.

It infuriates me.

• 59 sherijr
            February 25, 2014 at 12:39 pm

me too, again when I was in school- and even my older sons- now in their early 30s – we had art & music all year long.

February 25, 2014 at 11:41 am

I don’t understand why P.E. had to go in the elementary schools. I think I will contact the schools and ask the question.

• 61 sherijr
        February 25, 2014 at 11:53 am

I don’t know why either anniebella- I’m guessing repubs voting out anything that helps/raises up public schools for our kids.

• February 25, 2014 at 11:44 am

Similar to my response to Anniebella on the last post, Sherijr.

Having daily recess/PE may actually help curb some of the activity/misbehavior in the class room. Young children can’t be expected to contain their need for movement and socialization for long periods of time without there being some degree of explosive behavior. The physical activity may also help students to stay focused and engaged during instruction.

• 63 sherijr
        February 25, 2014 at 11:55 am

I’ve no doubt of the benefits of pe for kids at school, especially for junior high boys- our kids at this school do not even have a recess.. they get lunch break only and that is in the cafeteria- absolutely no outside activity or gym activity except as I stated= the one quarter of gym.

• 64 99ts
          February 25, 2014 at 4:49 pm

That sounds ghastly – our schools all still have recess and a lunch break where they can do whatever outside – the noise levels in my neighborhood define the break times :)

• 65 sherijr
            February 25, 2014 at 5:22 pm

This is the first place I’ve lived (Baltimore, MD) where this is the case. In CA, AZ, CO, FL & ND- all places I’ve lived and raised kids- all the schools my kids attended had regular sports, art & normal recess twice a day plus a lunch period.. always allowed to go outside.

• 66 africa
      February 25, 2014 at 11:45 am

One quarter a whole year? That’s nonsense.

• 67 sherijr
        February 25, 2014 at 11:49 am

It is unbelievable Africa.. I will be so glad when he gets to high school next year- hopefully he’ll have far more opportunities. I have no clue how having PE everyday would be additionally costly to a school.. all they ever do is run around the gym or play bball- they have no organized sports at all.. and ZERO outdoor play as the school is on complete lockdown at all times. Its a low-income/working class neighborhood for the most part.. and there is no doubt our school is at the bottom of the totem pole.. but again I cannot see how having pe everyday would cost anymore.

• 68 africa
          February 25, 2014 at 11:59 am

It amazes me. The only cost would involve paying the person blowing the whistle and watching the children. Because that is what most PE is these days.

It is a darn shame. That is why children are so loaded with psychotropic drugs. They keep them in class all day, they can’t sit still or focus. And the next remedy is to prescribe them drugs because of some ADHD, etc.

How things have fallen so far is just amazing. There is no excuse for not allowing the children these activities. Heck, if it is money issue, raise the darn taxes or do something. But still, it can’t cost that much.

• 69 sherijr
            February 25, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I’m with you… we had no choice in schools, as I had looked at another middle school that was huge and offered everything.. but at only 2 miles away was out of my district. Since I knew he’d only be here for a year- 8th grade.. we went with it.. and what makes it tolerable is the teachers. He has 4 and they are all young and enthusiastic with obvious (imo) desire to teach.. each one at different times has called me (one even came to my house) to tell me good things about my son. So with the teachers, it makes the lacking in this school palatable – but it is unfair.. as I am quite certain it’s all about the fact that its a lower income neighborhood.

• 70 Paulita
              February 25, 2014 at 12:25 pm

We HAD to learn square dancing when I was in grade school. This was the only time the gym was coed. Dosey Doe and alamange (sp?) left. Swing your partner round and round… square dancing was for squares! Ha Ha.

• 71 sherijr
                February 25, 2014 at 12:30 pm

ha! we didn’t have square dancing.. but we did learn a bamboo dance- stepping between bamboo poles.. can’t remember the name of the dance.. but we made the newspapers with it. School in CA when I was a kid- 60s era- was most excellent.

10. 72 africa
    February 25, 2014 at 11:42 am

OK, then.

• February 25, 2014 at 12:58 pm

When you repeat the ghasly slurs…you a slapping the President all over again….and every time…every time a slur is cast on PBO…it is a slur on all of us…esp those in AA community…..This is how THEY treat the MOST Powerful Leader in the world because he is a Black Man..

These news agencies…think that we don’t see it….but

We see you!

11. 75 57andfemale
    February 25, 2014 at 11:45 am

Wish Mr. 57 would have had the camera ready to capture our Nickelby, finding the one sliver of sun in the icy yard, holding his head up to the sun’s rays, eyes closed in enjoyment. Mr. 57 didn’t have the heart to make him come inside, despite the cold.

We need spring. Desperately.

12. February 25, 2014 at 11:47 am

Donna Dem…

Your grandbabies are adorable :)

February 25, 2014 at 11:48 am

Break’s over. Bye

14. 78 africa
    February 25, 2014 at 11:53 am

15. 79 Nerdy Wonka
    February 25, 2014 at 11:57 am

VP Biden on The View

16. February 25, 2014 at 12:00 pm

So, when I got home last night I was singing Pharrell’s “Happy”, as I’d just finished putting together the night owl chat. Then the missus posts something on Facebook to the effect that “LL is getting ready for the Bruno Mars / Pharrell concert by singing ‘Happy’.” Sometimes she’s so cute.

• February 25, 2014 at 12:10 pm

It’s a great song that is so uplifting, it’s hard not to get into the spirit.

I, on the other hand, cannot get the theme song from House of Cards out of my mind.
      Someone help me, please!

17. 95 africa
    February 25, 2014 at 12:05 pm

18. 97 Nerdy Wonka
    February 25, 2014 at 12:10 pm

19. 99 Dakota
    February 25, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Helloooo TOD Family!

20. 100 Nerdy Wonka
    February 25, 2014 at 12:12 pm

:lol: The baby’s WTF expression is the best.

21. 104 africa
    February 25, 2014 at 12:15 pm

22. 105 Nerdy Wonka
    February 25, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Rob Ford aka The Gift That Keeps On Giving.

Thank you Canada for this international embarrassment and barrel of laughs.

23. 109 africa
    February 25, 2014 at 12:17 pm

24. 110 dotster3
    February 25, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Not breaking—-Andrea Mitchell is ‘terribes’. Had msnbc on, forgot she is now on at the earlier hour, in adjacent room——so had the misfortune of hearing what I think was a declarative sentence that there was no doubt the Dems would lose the Senate—-or something real close to that. Then she and Jonathan Martin and Chuck Todd delighted in talking about how unpopular PBO is, that he can’t campaign for anyone—-that Grimes in Ky. has requested Bill Clinton campaign for her, not PBO. Etc. And they rolled out the tired refrain that PBO only appeals to minorities—–they tried that during both presidential elections too—-I remember John King on CNN ALWAYS saying what counties Obama would win or wouldn’t win depending on the AA population. He was proven completely wrong, of course, but here they go again. And Mitchell said the Dems would fail in the midterms because minorities don’t vote in midterms and made it sound like that’s the only support Dems have now. So misleading and infuriating. Todd was “real nice” tho and said that Obama likely would be welcome to campaign in future years after the presidency, a la Clinton now. Gee thanks, Toad, could you spare it? Pathetic, dishonest discourse.

25. February 25, 2014 at 12:37 pm

26. February 25, 2014 at 12:42 pm

The power of twitter & the internet …