Feb

Of subhuman mongrels and keeping away the gay

Well, we’ve certainly been treated to a meltdown in what passes for the Right in this country in the age of Obama.

The examples are legion. Obama’s election, a moment seen by many of us as a signal achievement, also brought out, well, the lunatics who saw their country falling away from them. From Joe “You Lie” Wilson to “Second Amendment solutions”, we’ve had almost six years of increasingly unhinged rhetoric, rhetoric which was once confined to the purview of Aryan Nations—or Ron Paul—newsletters.

Imagine, if you will, if Bruce Springsteen had called George W. Bush “a subhuman cowboy”. Even The Boss might not have been popular enough to withstand the torrent of opprobrium.

And yet, here we have belle of the right wing ball, Ted Nugent, calling President Obama a “subhuman mongrel,” with the man whom he was supporting, Republican candidate for governor of Texas Greg Abbott, not casting him aside with the morning’s recycling. Nugent “apologized”, not for the content of his remarks, but because it embarrassed his friend Abbott (who, again, showed no signs of being embarrassed).

When Barack Obama came out in favor of marriage equality, suddenly the cause gained a momentum which has only increased year on year. So, of course, it was only obvious that the Arizona state legislature just passed a law allowing business owners to refuse service to gay customers. (Really, unless a gay man walks in swishing in the most stereotypical manner, how could a good, God-fearing business owner be sure that he wasn’t serving gays unwittingly? Is a sin of ignorance less awful in the eyes of the Lord than a willful transgression?) Because Arizona, faced with the myriad problems all our localities face, decided that this was a problem which needed urgent legislative attention. Why, if gays can eat openly in restaurants across the state, pretty soon they’d be coming out of the closet and playing on NFL and NBA teams! The horror!

Oh, we can laugh, but there’s something serious to consider. And it’s something which should both give us pause and ultimately encourage us.

We often speak of Barack Obama as being a transformational figure. I’ve written at length as to how he’s transformed the political landscape. He’s not just the first black president; he’s also the first truly progressive president since Lyndon Johnson, but without the albatross of an unpopular war around his neck. (Yes, he’s gotten us out of the Iraqi quagmire, to the gnashing of PNAC teeth, is getting out of Afghanistan, and is upending the entire notion of perpetual war. Not that dudebros care.)

However, it’s culturally where he’s gone under the radar.

And this is why the Right is reacting with such ferocity. Its old scare tactics don’t work for the majority of Americans. It will still have a power base in the revanchist South, but even there it will be hard pressed to hold out for long. And a party with a solely regional base is not long for this world. Thus, Nugent emits verbal diarrhea. Thus, Arizona legislators feel the need to protect business owners from gay people wanting to spend money. Thus, a longshot candidate to unseat John Cornyn in the Texas primary for US Senate claims that ranchers should be allowed to “shoot wetbacks” who trespass their property as they come into the country.

What should give us pause is that desperate people can do desperate things. A lone wolf, or a militia cell, seeing that their world is changing irrevocably may strike to stop it, or to at least do some damage.

But, I think that’s a minor worry. Remember, Ted Nugent averred that he would either be dead or in jail if Obama were re-elected. That he’s neither is an indication of the general bravery of the right wing gum-flappers.

What we should see this as is as the last desperate rear-guard action trying to stem the inevitable. The country which Obama is ushering in is no longer Reagan Country. That country is dead or dying. It will cling on in parts with bony, gripping fingers, but will play less and less a role in anything which affects us.

To quote the poet, “Don’t worry, be happy”. And flood Arizona with gays; more Arizonans than one would think would be glad for it.

83 Responses to “Of subhuman mongrels and keeping away the gay”

• February 25, 2014 at 12:44 pm

At some point you just have to laugh at these bastards.

• February 25, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I personally wish I could laugh but Ted Nugent’s remarks and the behavior of some people in 2014 just deeply saddens me

• February 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm

The older I’ve gotten, the more I’ve come to the conclusion that laughter is the most subversive weapon you have.

• February 25, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Very true but racial epithets run deep and can’t be easily dismissed. That Nugent could actually say what he did appalls me.

• February 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm

If you read the full quote it’s even more astounding. “Communist-raised, Communist-indoctrinated subhuman mongrel.” It really is hard for most normal people to wrap their minds around that kind of visceral hatred.

• February 25, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I did read the entire comment. And heard him say it as it was played over and over on TV. That he could say those words about any human is appalling but that he could say those words about the sitting president of the United States, well you’re right! I can’t wrap my head around that.

• February 25, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Yesterday, In Texas, there was a debate on the news on Fox26 about the use of those words. One guy felt it was perfectly okay for “his buddy” (as he called him) to say anything he wanted. He felt the use of the words had nothing to do with being racial. I’m so fed up with the double talk, it’s hard to laugh. It’s as if the jar of ignorance is opening up and the idiots are climbing back out. Sometimes, I feel citizens shouldn’t be allowed ridicule the Presidential office, especially not in such a blatant racial manner. Why isn’t it held to a higher esteem and the blasphemy has no repercussions? You don’t hear of the Queen being ridiculed so openly.

• February 25, 2014 at 5:21 pm

You are right. British people have some sense of decorum, which seems to be absent from the south. I was sickened by his comment. Makes me wonder how Michelle and the girls feel when they hear stuff like that.

• February 25, 2014 at 1:43 pm

i do not think we need to keep repeating the slur….

• February 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm

I always love reading your insights LL. I wish I could laugh, my daughter is gay it is never easy, and when I hear the hate, see the hate directed at my daughter I want to spit and not laugh. The repug party is dying, spilt apart, yet we hear how in the 2014 midterm elections this dying party may pick up seats? What is the disconnect? The arch of movement towards the light is slow I know. And where is Chuck Toad asking for Nugents apology? They scream for our side to apologize, yet ….
        These are not evolved humans…maybe they suffer from inbreeding.

• 12 Nerdy Wonka
          February 25, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Same here, Carla. To me it’s not a laughing matter. I can never laugh at these slurs towards African-Americans and LGBT people because I walk in this skin and it is an ugly thing to witness the hate; especially in 2014 and especially when that hate can lead to the murder of innocent lives.

I also have LGBT friends and it is no laughing matter when they are treated as inferior human beings.

It is a vile and repugnant boil in society.

• February 25, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Well, the latest Razzie generic poll shows Dems up by 4.

The one thing I’ve learned about this president is that he keeps his powder dry until it’s the best time to strike. He’s been slowly ratcheting up the pressure ahead of the midterms. You don’t want to peak too early. I think that’s what the GOP is doing.

• 14 Paulita
        February 25, 2014 at 1:03 pm

What’s really crazy – the only group Jesus singled out with some very specific woes were the religious leaders and authorities of His day. “Woe unto you scribes and pharisees – hypocrites, white washed tombs full of deadmen’s bones!! etc.

• February 25, 2014 at 1:26 pm

True that, LL. They are laughable, but, as you note, they can still cause quite a bit of harm especially if we don’t crush them on 4 Nov 2014. That’s the election President Obama has been preparing all of us to recognize as a way to make ….

“The country which Obama is ushering in is no longer Reagan Country. That country is dead or dying.”

… happen, sooner than later.

YES WE MUST

• February 25, 2014 at 12:45 pm

This summary is a great example of what ails the stubborn right.

1. 17 Nerdy Wonka
    February 25, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Oh, Pete Souza. I want talent like yours.

2. 19 Nerdy Wonka
    February 25, 2014 at 12:55 pm

The coolest VP ever!

The Great Pete Souza!

3. 27 GGail
    February 25, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Man…LL, that’s Right On brother!!!

Seriously, LL, you put to words what my heart thinks about and I humbly thank you for your gift and talent that you share with us here at TOD.

Now, I FIRED UP! Point me in the direction of Ted Nugent or the Arizona Gov – Grrrr!!!!

February 25, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Okay, LL, had to stop to tear up on this part … “He embodies the new America which gains ground every day. It is an America which is not fearful of the Stranger. It is an America comfortable in complexity” … and now I shall continue.

February 25, 2014 at 1:20 pm

… and by the time I read the entire piece, I felt nothing but hope. As in: Hope I live to see the day.

Thank you.

• February 25, 2014 at 1:21 pm

You know, I was very cranky yesterday. Not sure why. And I decided I needed to write something that would get me out of my funk. So I turned my mind around, wrote this and the Pharrell night owl chat.

Being an optimist is a fulltime job these days. But the alternative sucks.

February 25, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Totally agree with your last point. Once in a while, and it doesn’t happen often, I wake up in a cranky mood. Cranky with the world at large, for no reason. I try to “use it” – name it my official P-O’d Day and call a few friends and family to tell ‘em and give it a good rant for a few hours – and get that out of my system. By the next day, I’m back to happy balanced la la land, where I normally reside (i.e., Libra).

Here’s a quote for you:

“Happiness is everything is falling into place perfectly, as long as you don’t get too picky about what you mean by place. Or perfectly.”

February 25, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Yup. This toon nails what you are saying.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

6. February 25, 2014 at 1:09 pm

“Kentucky is Clinton” is trending. Not sure how I should feel about that.

February 25, 2014 at 1:10 pm

President Barack Obama has warned his Afghan counterpart Hamid Karzai that the US may pull all of its troops out of his country by the year’s end.

Mr Obama conveyed the message in a phone call to Mr Karzai, who has refused to sign a security agreement.

The US insists this agreement must be in place before it commits to leaving some troops behind for counter-insurgent operations and training.

“President Obama told President Karzai that because he has demonstrated that it is unlikely that he will sign the BSA (Bilateral Security Agreement), the United States is moving forward with additional contingency planning,” the White House said in a statement.

“Specifically, President Obama has asked the Pentagon to ensure that it has adequate plans in place to accomplish an orderly withdrawal by the end of the year should the United States not keep any troops in Afghanistan after 2014.

“Furthermore, the longer we go without a BSA, the more likely it will be that any post-2014 US mission will be smaller in scale and ambition.”

February 25, 2014 at 1:15 pm

There is an adage in my part of India that apt for the wingnuts.

Mad dogs bark at the moon while it moves on majestically.

9. February 25, 2014 at 1:16 pm
    February 25, 2014 at 1:16 pm

A resident of the northern Chinese city of Shijiazhuang is reported to be trying to sue the local government over high levels of air pollution.

The man, Li Guixin, filed a complaint with a district court in Hebei province near Beijing.

A local newspaper said he was demanding the city’s environmental bureau do more to control the blanket of choking smog that often settles over northern China in the winter months.

He is also demanding compensation.

He says he has spent money on face masks, an air purifier and a treadmill he uses to exercise indoors when the pollution is particularly bad.

The court is currently deliberating on whether to accept the case, which has already been rejected by several higher courts.

February 25, 2014 at 1:22 pm
  12. February 25, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Okay everyone, off to act like a fool in front of 35 toddlers. Keep chatting!

February 25, 2014 at 1:33 pm
  14. February 25, 2014 at 1:54 pm
  15. 53 carolyn
    February 25, 2014 at 1:59 pm

LL….you captured what I think and experience every day that I teach. My Composition class is such a “new America” it is thrilling. I look at my class of young people of every shade and watch them work together, laugh together, and I see the world as it should be and as it is going to be. They have no fear of the “other” and this I know is what frightens these right wing fringers to death.

I have heard that an elephant in its dying throes is awful to behold, and that these last a while. I liken what we’re seeing to that…..the dying throes are frightening, but they are the dying throes.

These college age students just don’t even talk the same language as these older people and look truly confused when people make racist or sexist or antiLGBT remarks. I feel fortunate at my age to have this glimpse of the future. And, this is in Oklahoma, not a state known for open mindedness!

• February 25, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I do hope that your class is an example of what’s happening in this country, and not the pathetic freshmen from Ole Miss. Humanity will always be a work in progress. We just have to try to get more things right than we get wrong.

16. February 25, 2014 at 2:09 pm

It is too late. And the fact that it took Gov. Brewer so long to decide to veto it doesn’t make her look good.

• 56 57andfemale
      February 25, 2014 at 2:46 pm

“She’s just returning from D.C., hasn’t had a chance to consider it carefully……” Blah. Blah. Blah.

• 57 99ts
        February 25, 2014 at 5:17 pm

What on earth would there be to consider?

• 58 57andfemale
          February 25, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Whether she will pay a political price for institutionalizing bigotry.

• 59 99ts
            February 25, 2014 at 5:24 pm

True dat – and I see reading further down that she has “not yet decided” – I am always a few threads behind – sigh

Would love to hear your health care story – do hope you have time to write it – send it to the white house and publish it on TOD :)

• 60 57andfemale
              February 25, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Got sidetracked with a flooded back of the house due to ice dams, collapsing roofs. I really do mean to put it in a post eventually.

• 61 99ts
                February 25, 2014 at 5:59 pm

You are allowed to be sidetracked by such things – I have yet to recover from insurance co repairers taking months to find and fix our leaking roof – turning a minor problem into 3 rooms needing ceilings replaced – which doesn’t compare with months of snow – but is very distracting from other issues.

• 62 99ts
      February 25, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Took the Chamber of Commerce to convince her – not any notion of equality/discrimination

17. 63 sherijr
    February 25, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I have a hard time laughing at this stuff- though I value all that you wrote here LL.. and I admit I try to , aspire to take things more on the chin. I am Caucasian, my 3 sons are bi-racial. A few personal anecdotes.. that I’m most certain anyone of color can repeat from their own life experiences. I took my two eldest sons at the age of 2 & 5 to a river/campground in N. California.. they asked to go ‘potty’ and I watched them walk exactly 15 feet from me into a port-a-potty.. while they were walking those few feet I saw two men walk by them, look down, smile speak without stopping. A few minutes later when my son’s returned, I asked what the man said.. my 5 yr old said this: The man said go home N -word – that is the first time my children were called that. Another time, my eldest son at age 8, walked on to a neighbor’s yard to get his ball- that had rolled onto the grass. That man came barreling outside and told my 8 yr old child that if he ever touched his grass again – he would cut off his N-word hands. That man was gay and lived with his boyfriend. All that said, my stepbrother is gay and has had his own difficulties and bigotry pointed at him. There are many more instances I could tell.
    Thus laughter ain’t what first comes to my heart- although I do see the power of it.. and I think for those that can laugh and make fun of the cretins who shout their racism, sexism, bigotry- then please do so.. I have a hard time keeping my hands to myself- although I’ve manged to do so.. but I seldom laugh.. I admit to a mighty hate against people like this- my hate is directed squarely at them for what they say and for what they do.

• February 25, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I can’t even begin to imagine what it’s like on a visceral level as you described.

Here’s a bit of my psychology. I can go into unholy rages quite quickly. (I know, mild mannered librarian.) The times I have gone into those rages, I’ve frightened myself witless. I use humor—light and dark—as a defense against my own demons, which are legion. I’d like to think I’m taking my cue from PBO, at whom hatred is directed in the most disgusting fashion, but who rubs it off his shoulders and keeps helping even those who hate him. PBO is a much better person than most people. The best we can hope is to try and live up to his example.

• 65 sherijr
        February 25, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Well as to all you just wrote me.. I wholeheartedly agree.. to take it the way POTUS does is powerful, imo.. to have that inner strength is amazing. On the other hand.. I’ve neither harmed anyone nor purchased a firearm- in 35 years of mothering, so I’m not doing too badly :)

• February 25, 2014 at 2:25 pm

:lol:

When we suffered a series of break-ins a couple of years ago, the detective assigned to our case, “Well, you can get a gun, but only get one if you know you could use it.” I know I could never use a gun against some schmuck stealing stuff. We have insurance, stuff can be replaced. A life cannot.

• 67 sherijr
            February 25, 2014 at 3:04 pm

having been in the military- I don’t like guns, see now honest use for them, just my opinion.. and like you, I would prefer to never take a life. I have a large dog who acts like he’s the boss of every human and vehicle that passes.. I think he’s doing a good job of keeping the evil at bay ;) Had I ever had a gun- back in my younger days.. when folks were being nasty racist bullies.. I may have been way too tempted.

18. 69 Nerdy Wonka
    February 25, 2014 at 2:14 pm
  19. February 25, 2014 at 2:18 pm

“He embodies the new America which gains ground every day. It is an America which is not fearful of the Stranger. It is an America comfortable in complexity. It is an America where hating someone because of his skin color, her sexuality, their religion is not only intolerable, but laughable. The coalition which has delivered the White House to Obama twice—the coalition which is the majority coalition for the foreseeable future—does not have the same fears which gnaw at Ted Nugent or Arizona legislators. By embodying this new culture, and speaking for it, Obama has given it a motive force which no amount of Koch money can undo.”

Pure genius, LL, what a beautiful, powerful, truth-packed piece. We’re blessed to have you post here, thank you Mister.

• February 25, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Thank you, Ms. Chips.

As I’ve said, I was just in a cranky mood yesterday. And when that happens, I start thinking, “Is this helping anyone?” It certainly isn’t helping me. So, I write, and try to find the hope which sustains.

That’s what people like Nugent and the GOP AZ legislators lack. They’ve lost hope. They don’t see the new country as an opportunity gained, but as a world lost. And people like that can be dangerous.

But hope wins out every time, because it’s what makes us most human. Despair robs us of our humanity.

20. 73 57andfemale
    February 25, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Jan Brewer’s office is denying reports that she will veto the bill. She will do ‘what’s best for Arizona’.

Get this: she can sign it, veto it or do nothing. If she does nothing, the bill becomes law anyway.

21. 77 Linda
    February 25, 2014 at 2:31 pm

McCain on SB1062

“The entire business community is galvanized in a way that I’ve never seen against this legislation,” said McCain. He added that the Super Bowl was only part of the problem.

“That’s one of [business leaders'] concerns, but the major concern is frankly tourism and location of businesses in Arizona,” he said.

He also thought the measure was distracting from the GOP’s election-year message. “Of course,” he said. “That’s why I recommended that she veto it.”
    —–

What GOP election year message is he talking about ?

22. 78 Nena20409
    February 25, 2014 at 2:37 pm

The above quote is 1001% accurate LL.

The sad part is with Pres Obama all the haters see, is His Pigmentation. Yet they lost the Nov 6th, 2012 election.

In May of 2012, when pres Obama announced that the LGBTQ should have the right for marriage equality. He gave OKAY for those still hesitating their Liberty/Freedom to do the right thing. That is a BFD.

LL you simplify issues and break it down to a level that everyone can understand.

Thank you so very much.

• 79 carolyn
      February 25, 2014 at 2:42 pm

I do wish all of you could come with me one day to my Freshman Composition class, as it would give you a glimpse of what life CAN be. They are the embodiment of what the President is leading us to…..this is why I do not become discouraged.
      When I see them I think of Prospero’s words from the last act of Shakespeare’s The Tempest: “O, brave new world, that has such people in it.” THAT is the right interpretation of the brave new world.

23. February 25, 2014 at 2:43 pm
  24. 81 Nerdy Wonka
    February 25, 2014 at 2:43 pm

For my Scandalholics. So much fun.

25. 83 Suz
    February 25, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Beautiful, lovely, wonderful post….always gives me hope for America….love my President!