Feb

First Lady Michelle Obama Announces Updates To Nutrition Fact Labels

2014-02-27T165405Z_2049154941_GM1EA2S02F001_RTRMADP_3_NUTRITION-LABELING-UPDATE

First Lady Michelle Obama, flanked by enlargements of a proposed nutrition label and a proposed alternate label, speaks about helping parents and other consumers make healthier choices as part of her Let’s Move program. The Obama administration is proposing new food labels that would make it easier to know about calories and added sugars, a reflection of the shifting science behind nutrition.

2014-02-27T205952Z_1063277595_GM1EA2S0DSV01_RTRMADP_3_USA

First Lady Michelle Obama talks about heathy snacks with children at a La Petite Academy child care center in Bowie, Maryland

2014-02-27T190644Z_336167519_GM1EA2S08K301_RTRMADP_3_NUTRITION-LABELING-UPDATE

3d37b6362fa00e084d0f6a706700263a

185e44072fa40e084d0f6a706700764d

2014-02-27T190339Z_99755944_GM1EA2S082L01_RTRMADP_3_NUTRITION-LABELING-UPDATE

Shanese Bryant-Melton a mother, gets a hug after introducing First Lady Michelle Obama

2014-02-27T215105Z_1852904406_GM1EA2S0G7601_RTRMADP_3_USA

2014-02-27T215017Z_2136508893_GM1EA2S0G5B01_RTRMADP_3_USA

First Lady Michelle Obama and trainer Roger Hanson of the Super Sprowtz dance with children at a La Petite Academy child care center in Bowie, Maryland

2014-02-27T190358Z_1390088383_GM1EA2S082R01_RTRMADP_3_NUTRITION-LABELING-UPDATE

9467ee672f740d084d0f6a706700b6ac

e97cffd02f480c084d0f6a706700f284

66b6f9e92e8609084d0f6a706700f146

b31bea962f530c084d0f6a706700c811

411d85252f420c084d0f6a706700c3ee

2014-02-27T214913Z_443203482_GM1EA2S0G3401_RTRMADP_3_USA

107 Responses to “First Lady Michelle Obama Announces Updates To Nutrition Fact Labels”

February 27, 2014 at 7:36 pm

1st doggoneit.

February 27, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Our FLOTUS – positively impacting people’s lives across the nation! :) :)

February 27, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Yes our FLOTUS is hopefruit2. So darn proud of FLOTUS and POTUS.

• 13 nathkatun7
      February 28, 2014 at 1:03 am

Yes Indeed, HF! I can’t think of any other FLOTUS, except may be Eleanor Roosevelt, who had more impact on the lives of people of this country more than FL, Michelle Obama.

3. 14 Judith Fardig
    February 27, 2014 at 7:43 pm

What fantastic role models we have in the White House. Thanks, Chips and all for all the wonderful posts today.

4. February 27, 2014 at 7:45 pm

“…..Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) called World Bank President Jim Yong Kim on Wednesday to express her concern with Uganda’s new Anti-Homosexuality Bill, her spokesman said. “Yesterday, Leader Pelosi spoke with President Kim to express the concerns of Members of Congress about the legislation enacted in Uganda,” Pelosi’s spokesman, Drew Hammill, told BuzzFeed in an email. “While we appreciate the difficult decisions President Kim has to make and their impact on the lives of many in the developing world, many Members believe that such a blatant act of discrimination should not go unnoticed.”

Former Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank and other Democratic members of Congress expressed concern about the loan to Kim as well.
    Kim sent an email to Bank employees on Thursday afternoon condemning discrimination against gay people and lesbians. Though focused on the safety of personnel in countries with anti-gay laws, it included some of the strongest language to date from Bank leadership that homophobia is of concern to the institution, which is charged with economic development……..”

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

5. February 27, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I must repeat this …

…. and add this ….

6. February 27, 2014 at 7:54 pm

So, this happened:

I feel flushed.

7. 25 Melanie
    February 27, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Valerie Jarrett on Bill O’Reilly…I have no words for this interview. He just told VJ to tell FLOTUS to come on this show, look in the camera and tell teenage girls to stop having sex. Get POTUS to get the gangster rappers like Jay-Z and Kanye and all the athletes with tattoos because kids on the south side of Chicago son’t know who Colin Powell is.

8. 31 dotster3
    February 27, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Sounds like it’s going to be an interesting interview on Today tomorrow with First Lady Michelle being interviewed by Jenna Bush Hager——-and mom dancing!

February 27, 2014 at 8:21 pm

With our FLOTUS it’s always interesting, it can’t be any other way with her. I’ll do my best not to miss it.

9. 33 globalcitizenlinda
    February 27, 2014 at 8:26 pm

February 27, 2014 at 8:35 pm

11. February 27, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I feel like I’ve been a witness to history today.

Judging by the comments here at TOD, it looks like the usual “Obama is damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t” by the usual crowd.

Everyone knows that it doesn’t matter when our President took steps to help actual young Americans — the future of America — in the way that he did today, he would have been bashed for “Black racism — or whatever its called in dog whistle RWNJville” or for trying move the focus from his “terrible year” or “awful website.”

The fact that Koch/MSM, RWNJs and AA sour grapers all agree today is thought provoking.

Chips re-tweeted this today:

The MSM is so hopeless clueless that they fail to see (or look the other way) that our President is one of the most honest and consistent politicians in history. Karma will pay them back big time.

#LandslideDems2014

12. February 27, 2014 at 8:49 pm

And again, thanks to Nerdy Wonka for her stellar tweets and posts today, on this historic occasion.

She is definitely the engine that keeps things humming here, allowing Chips some quality time with Danny Boy!

NW posted this @JCapehart tweet on an earlier thread. Here’s my response to him.

13. February 27, 2014 at 8:58 pm

For JackieGrumbacher, PrettyFoot, CarolMaeWY, and others who are compiling an arsenal to refute Koch/MSM conventional wisdom:

MSNBC’s crappy site is hit or miss on my (ancient) computer. I hope the MSM URL in this tweet will take you to Chris Matthew’s Tuesday segment on how the people with actual jobs in the GOP (congresscritters don’t count, they just paid as if they were working) are faring in their home states.

Photo L-R
    top row: Bill Snyder (MI), Susana Martinez (NM), Bill Haslam (TN)
    bottom row: John Kasich (OH), Terry Branstad (IA), Brian Sandoval (NV)

Posted by Ladyhawke on a previous thread:

February 27, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Oh my…Chips just went off on Chris Hayes. That jerk must have said something vile to make Chips upset like this. Did anyone watch All in tonight? Or is anyone following him? I do neither, so just asking.

15. February 27, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Ukraine:

I mentioned yesterday that @michaelpetrou is in Crimea.

His twitter timeline makes for a compelling story today.

He talked to locals about whether the armored personnel carriers were likely Russian or local.

But issued this mea culpa later:

16. February 27, 2014 at 9:08 pm

A little bit of levity…… 21 yr. old Kyrie Irving, of the Clevland Cavaliers, dressed up as “Uncle Drew” last year…….. it was epic!

Now Nascar’s Jeff Gordon, pulls another epic stunt on a blogger who was hating on him. :cool:

17. 50 africa
    February 27, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Today is a great day.

February 27, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Your nice sentiments reminded me of a few things. While it’s easy to criticize and I do, I know I don’t say often enough that today’s the kind of day when I remember how great it is to be an American!

Even to walk these somewhat potholed streets this winter and breathe this somewhat polluted air; to at least be able to speak up when we don’t like something, even if it’s only among our friends and family or on a blog or Twitter (if we have those resources), is a BFD for some … to get up one day, decide to change our lives for the better, and take at least one baby step toward doing that, in chasing our personal dreams, of our own free will, is another BFD (and I’ve seen it happen, often).

America is not a perfect union, of course, not with all the “-isms” that still float around in the souls of nutjobs, but if we keep our eyes on it, it will continue toward that quest. We’ll always still have a “new frontier.”

In so many countries, there is no good feeling like this, on such a regular basis. Actually, my life is damn satisfactory personally, and I get the chance to help a few others along the way. I’ll never be rich, but I have riches and I see poetry in their faces.

We currently have a President who gives us HOPE for our future, and that’s something so many countries don’t have. Plus it’s exciting just hearing what he’s going to think of next! Thank you, President Obama! #America

18. 54 africa
    February 27, 2014 at 9:13 pm

19. 55 rikyrah
    February 27, 2014 at 9:16 pm

What did Hayes do now?
    Chips is pissed

• February 27, 2014 at 9:22 pm

:-) The worthless dick clearly searched Twitter for something that pissed on the President today, he ended up RTing “Philanthropy is not policy”. His clueless privilege makes me puke.

• 57 sherijr
        February 27, 2014 at 9:28 pm

yeah he’s a true puke. His tweet after that said.. that black college grads end up earning as much as white college grads.. which I would like to see real data on, thank you very much… ’cause I do not believe.

You said exactly the right thing to him Chips. He’s a small person.

• February 27, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Melanie Cobb said it as well, maybe even first! She was totally disappointing. CHRIS Hayes played the role of an administration lawyer making the point that there is no way the PBO can get this congress to care about the lives of minority guys. I don’t remember the answer to this query, but I came away feeling that this show was set up to allow Black critics of the president have their say.

I am truly pissed!

• February 27, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Not Melanie, WordPress, J.E.L.A.N.I,

• 62 nathkatun7
          February 28, 2014 at 1:48 am

You know what Eve, these Black critics of President Obama are total failures. Try hard as they may, they’ve been unable to indoctrinate the vast majorities in our communities to turn against President Obama. Most of us in the Black communities are proud of President Obama and First Lady of Michelle Obama. Most of us, especially some us who are very gray behind the ears, don’t remember all these Black critics being given a platform and megaphones to constantly attack past presidents, including Bill Clinton, the darling of some of the Black critics. Many of us in the Black community know that President Obama’s economic agenda, which would have immensely benefited Black people, has been stymied by Congress filled with hateful Republicans and many wishy wash Democrats. Most of us in the Black communities can tell the difference between a president who is genuinely working very hard to solve problems and the Black hustlers, posing as critics, so as to make a name for themselves. Until one of those critics can run for President, be elected twice, and then proceed to solve, in just the first year, or the first term, in office, all the problems that have faced Black people in this country for centuries, then I will listen to them. Right now I am remembering my grandmother (may she RIP) who disliked people who talked too much but had nothing to show in terms of deeds.

20. 63 globalcitizenlinda
    February 27, 2014 at 9:26 pm

21. February 27, 2014 at 9:32 pm

BTW, tweeted on this earlier, but it was really touching that President Obama, today, spoke directly to the first three years of a child’s life and the absolutely critical need to speak millions and millions of ‘adult’ words to them during that initial 3 years.

February 27, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I’m often reminded you’ve expressed that yourself, so many times, Bob. When my granddaughter relocated here with her 3-year-old son a couple of months ago, I shared your passion on the topic with her – and she agreed and intuitively knows so much already about what is helping put him (the little sponge) on the right path. I won’t go on and on about her, but I’m a proud grandmother – we’ll leave it at that. :)

• February 27, 2014 at 9:50 pm

” I won’t go on and on about her, but I’m a proud grandmother – we’ll leave it at that. ” Feel free to ‘go on and on about her,’ Jacqueline!!! We all need to encourage moms and dads to do what she is doing, and cheer them ever step of the way.

February 27, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Oh, if you ever saw me in action, you’d know I “go on and on” directly with her, every day! I just meant here on the blog!

But, thanks, and I totally agree with the “encourage” part. Totally.

• February 27, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Jacqueline, I knew you meant ‘ here on the blog’ and was encouraging you not to hold back :)

February 27, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Oh, good. :)

I once read an article – I’ve told this story so often that I even recall it was in a “Reader’s Digest” article in the early ’90s – that you can “overly praise” your children. It hit me back then and I started wondering about my own actions with my son, when he was young.

He was 22 when I saw the article, and I mentioned to him that maybe I had done that “over praising” with him – Ha! He gave me a fine, double-edge compliment at the time, saying something like:

“Oh, no, Mom, you raised me perfectly. Trouble is: I thought everybody else was going to treat me like that.”

Ya can’t win as a parent, but you keep trying!

• 71 nathkatun7
        February 28, 2014 at 1:55 am

You know, JOB, one of the most influential people in my life was my grandmother! So, go ahead and be proud of playing a role in shaping the life of your grandson. Believe me he always remember not only your love but also your teaching and your wisdom.

February 28, 2014 at 2:00 am

Hi, nath! Was just checking back in, and saw your comment. In this case, it’s my great grandson (how’d I get so old?), and thanks for the advice – which I shall take! I never knew my great grandparents, so this new role for me (and I gained a second great grandson from another granddaughter last November, so I’m doubly blessed) is a total treasure (and awesome responsibility). And, like you, I remember my maternal grandmother with a happy heart … I can truthfully say that I never heard her say a negative word about anyone. Never. I still find that fascinating!

22. 74 dotster3
    February 27, 2014 at 9:48 pm

“Education is key”—–I think I heard President Obama say that today. That has always been my strong belief. The most beneficial thing a parent can do for their child (or grandparent etc.), no matter the circumstances, is to make school and education important. I think it’s the whole deal—–to teach respect for teachers, no unnecessary absences from school, getting there on time, check homework, check grades and praise success, care enough to limit TV and video games etc., stay in contact with teachers, make sure kids get extra help if needed—-make school the most important part of their growing up. I think President Obama got that lesson early on from his mother, and it served him well even as he faltered for a bit during his teen years. And I’m sure he was reminded often how important education was to his future and to get back on track. Any child who works hard and is determined will have a whole world of opportunities open to him/her—–all kinds of scholarships—a bundle of them— and other educational and job training possibilities await—-and are there if a child has an encouraging parent or parent substitute who believes in him and who then will believe in himself.

23. February 27, 2014 at 10:02 pm

The bourbon of the evening is Wild Turkey 81. Dinner is homemade chicken and veggie quesadillas.

24. 78 lmrj
    February 27, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Good evening TOD! Delurking to celebrate my grandson succumbing to my constant badgering to get his GED and sign up for healthcare. He never finished high school and never got his diploma and is going nowhere because of it. He’s only 22, but is parents don’t have jobs with medical coverage that would enable him to stay on their plan. Texted me today to let me know that he is now covered and has healthcare AND he signed up with the local community college to complete his GED in place of his diploma. Thank God they do listen if you keep badgering.

• February 27, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Congratulations, lmrj. You’ve contributed immeasurably to the quality of live your grandson will have – KEEP BADGERING!!!! Thanks for ‘delurking’ and sharing the good news!!

• February 27, 2014 at 10:42 pm

“life” not “live” … sorry about that …

bbl … time to prepare some dinner.

• 81 lmrj
        February 27, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Bobfr, I have to thank you, Chips, the BTs and all of the posters/contributors to this fantastic community at TOD for keeping the importance of getting covered, education and POTUS’ other initiatives and policies at the forefront so that, in our own way, we can all be activists in support of his goals and objectives. THANK YOU TOD!!!

• 82 MightyPamela
      February 27, 2014 at 10:45 pm

• February 27, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Grandparents: the shock troops of responsibility.

• 84 lmrj
      February 27, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Thank you for cheering me on LL and MP!
      LL, I like that… “Grandparents: the shock troops of responsibility.” What a wordsmith! :-D

• 85 nathkatun7
      February 28, 2014 at 2:05 am

“Thank God they do listen if you keep badgering.”

lmrj, I am so glad your grandson listened to you and decided to get covered and to pursue his GED. Look, as i’ve said before, one of the most influential people in my life was my grandmother. She encouraged all of her grandchildren, boys and girls, to get an education. At the same time, she constantly reminded us not become “educated fools” with no common sense.

25. 86 Ladyhawke
    February 27, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Lawrence O’Donnell just did a great segment on President Obama’s “My Brothers Keeper” initiative with Joy Reid.

February 27, 2014 at 10:48 pm

February 27, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Don Lemon’s hosting a special CNN presentation on My Brother’s Keeper.

28. 104 Ladyhawke
    February 27, 2014 at 11:07 pm

MUST SEE: Lawrence O’Donnell & Joy Reid discuss “My Brother’s Keeper”

President Obama: ‘If I had a son…’

————————————————-

President Obama launched a new initiative, “My Brother’s Keeper,” aimed at young men of color. Lawrence O’Donnell discusses with Joy Reid.

————————————————–

29. 105 carolyn
    February 27, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I always marvel at how little certain pundits and commentators actually LISTEN to what the President says and remember it. How little they pay attention to what he does. He has been talking about being “our brother’s keeper” since 2004. He has returned to that theme again and again, and when he does that, I know that something is working inside him that will eventually come out in ACTION.

To me, President Obama lives the gospel, and as our pastor stresses, the gospel is not what we believe or talk about, it is what we DO, to the “least of these” for the despised, for the poor, for the lonely, for the alienated, in as he says, “the only world we have. This is what PBO has done and is doing, along with FLOTUS. They are attacking serious problems from different, complementary directions.

30. February 27, 2014 at 11:18 pm

All right folks, time to take a breather. See everyone tomorrow.