Mar

Night owl chat – Pictures from Getty Images

Today Getty Images announced that it would make most of its stock photos free to embed on websites. So, as a digestif after a long day, some amazing Getty images.

***

Chat on, night owls!

111 Responses to “Night owl chat – Pictures from Getty Images”

1. March 5, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Congrats, COS! LL, we are all like a kid in the candy store with Getty’s announcement today. I’m worried about Chips now :)

RT’s joke of a response:

“The announcement was stunning. But Wahl’s decision to quit the network was a long time coming. In an exclusive interview with The Daily Beast, she says that, “When I came on board from the beginning I knew what I was getting into, but I think I was more cautious and tried to stay as objective as I could.” Yet repeated attempts by her superiors at the network to censor her work and distort the truth ultimately convinced Wahl that, to keep her integrity intact, she would have to depart……..

“As a reporter on this network I face many ethical and moral challenges especially me personally coming from a family whose grandparents came here as refugees during the Hungarian revolution, ironically to escape the Soviet forces,” she told network viewers, immediately following a report claiming that the new Ukrainian government, which ousted pro-Russian president Viktor Yanukovych, is composed mainly of fascists and neo-Nazis. “I’m very lucky to have grown up here in the United States. I’m the daughter of a veteran. My partner is a physician at a military base where he sees every day the first-hand accounts of the ultimate prices that people pay for this country. And that is why personally I cannot be part of a network that whitewashes the actions of Putin. I am proud to be an American and believe in disseminating the truth and that is why after this newscast I’m resigning.”

• March 5, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Abby Martin’s “disagreement” was nothing more than a publicity stunt. It was to take heat off of RT. The fact that RT wasn’t expecting Liz Wahl’s statement—and the fact that she made it a public move—shows that RT is nothing but a propaganda outfit. RT goes on ad nauseam about US military “adventurism”; now that its paymaster has engaged in the most reckless adventure since Prague, it’s suddenly silent, or actively touting the Moscow line.

What gripes my ass is that RT is on most US cable and satellite systems. (I filter it from my lineup.) But BBC World? Feh. A few million homes from Verizon FIOS.

• March 5, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I have the same gripes. I have ATT-Uverse, we just got Fusion/ABC and BBC World, but no AJA. The good thing is they got great channel placement as well between CNN-1202 (Fusion 1206/BBC 1207) Fox-1210 in HD.

2. March 5, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Thank you, again, John for posting PM Carpenter’s commentary. It really is important that we persist in documenting, disseminating the truth about President Obama’s profound leadership, leadership he perfects as he vanquishes one threat to the well-being of American and humanity after another.

#FORWARD Together

• 18 Betsy
      March 5, 2014 at 11:04 pm

If you read down thread, he calls PBO a weak, vacillating president. I don’t believe he was being sarcastic. PM Carpenter is up and down, so I don’t read him much anymore.

• March 6, 2014 at 1:34 am

Betsy, I stopped reading PM a long time ago because of his ‘vacillations’ …. but, as John noted in the previous thread, he seemed to perceive the facts regarding how PBO has boxed Putin, once again (think, Syria), without any American soldiers having to die in the process (at least, so far).

We are a long way from being out of the woods on this issue and given Putin’s display of personal instability we have no reason to be relaxed. He’s created so many situations in Crimea and Eastern Ukraine that could go critical in seconds. Fortunately, to this point, Ukrainians have been the paragon of restraint.

#TrustBarack

Yes We Can

• 20 Betsy
          March 6, 2014 at 9:19 am

Thanks for your response, I value your opinion. I guess it’s a good thing when doubters actually recognize the brilliance of our President.

3. March 5, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Completely beautiful photos LL, what a lovely collection – thank you kind sir!

A less lovely photo :cry:

Although, I *did* laugh.

4. March 5, 2014 at 10:32 pm
  5. March 5, 2014 at 10:34 pm
  6. 45 yardarm756
    March 5, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Pavarotti’s Granddaughter (7years old)

7. March 5, 2014 at 10:53 pm

Preach Mr. President!!!!!!!!!!

March 5, 2014 at 11:03 pm

POTUS is right, the Democrats better be focus on 2014 instead of 2016. We already know that the GOP is doing all they can to win, including keeping people from voting. We Dems better be prepared to fight and fight. Worry about 2016 when it gets here.

March 5, 2014 at 11:12 pm

That’s right Mr. President!

8. March 5, 2014 at 11:12 pm
  9. March 5, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Think Bobfr, transcribed the State Dept. release earlier:

10. 56 anniebella
    March 5, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I just finish listening to Pharrell Williams song Happy. FLOTUS said today on Rachel Ray that was her favorite song to exercise too.

March 5, 2014 at 11:23 pm

LMAO! Here’s another one…from that Cameron phone call to Obama.

March 6, 2014 at 12:08 am

I have no idea how they started, but these are great! Ya gotta admit the way Cameron was sitting ramrod straight listening to the voice on the phone looked so posed as to be amusing all by itself.

March 5, 2014 at 11:25 pm
  13. March 5, 2014 at 11:26 pm
      March 5, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Go home say hello to FLOTUS and the girls, get a hug, say hi to Bo and Sunny, warm up, forget about all the troubles of the day, and get some rest. Tomorrow is another day.

March 6, 2014 at 12:04 am

I just love that hard-workin’ man. (What also popped into my head was: ” … bringin’ home the bacon for all of us.” So maybe my thought processes are starting to wind down for the night – Ha!)

14. March 5, 2014 at 11:37 pm
  15. March 5, 2014 at 11:37 pm
  16. March 5, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Night all.

March 6, 2014 at 12:02 am
  18. 68 99ts
    March 6, 2014 at 12:05 am

Pierce with the true reason

“Reid and Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) brought up the fact that Republicans supported Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts’s nomination despite his representation of a murderer who killed eight people, including a teenager.

I wonder what the difference is.

Oh, yeah. John Roberts is white and murdered teenagers don’t have a lobby.”

19. March 6, 2014 at 12:08 am

After seeing the pic of my beloved President walking across the grounds of the WH after his long day, I fervently wish I could be there and give him a warm hug for all he is doing for us. A big “cyber hug” to you, Mr. President. We love you! Go, hug Michelle and the girls and rest.

On a different note, TODers, my son tells me that one of his best friends is still having severe headaches (these have been going on for 15-20 years now). He has been to Mayo, John Hopkins, etc. he is scheduled to go to a headache clinic or something in Chicago next month. My son and I both feel that these headaches are real but are rooted to a large degree to emotional/psychological issues. We know what these issues stem from, so we are not just speculating. As a family, including my husband who is a therapist but cannot ethically see this young man professionally, we have all done what we could to help. I don’t mean to go on about this, but tonight I am asking for those powerful TOD prayers and maybe candles for a young man you do not know but is a precious soul in this world. With all my heart, I thank any of you who will offer up a prayer for “David’s Friend.” Thank you.

March 6, 2014 at 12:15 am

Certainly. Just did. What a tragic story, and you are wonderful to stand by him.

• 71 daisydem
        March 6, 2014 at 12:21 am

We love him Jacque but it is hard; there have been times we have been frustrated wondering if he is doing all he could to combat this, but then we know the things he has had to deal with and we know he has been in pain: we just want to hug him and make it all go away! I think prayer may be all we have now.

• March 6, 2014 at 12:47 am

“David’s Friend” will be in my thoughts, as are several of our beloved TODers, Daisy. Count on it.

20. March 6, 2014 at 12:50 am

Oh, yessssss ….

… #TzarVlado left waiting …. :)

March 6, 2014 at 1:24 am

March 6, 2014 at 2:18 am
    March 6, 2014 at 2:23 am

lmao.

29. 89 Dudette
    March 6, 2014 at 2:24 am
    March 6, 2014 at 2:25 am

Any one know the story behind this? How did she even make it the dem nom? Are the TX dems that pathetic?

March 6, 2014 at 2:26 am
    March 6, 2014 at 2:31 am

she is gonna be a heart-breaker some day.

33. 97 Dudette
  39. 105 Dudette
    March 6, 2014 at 3:39 am
  40. 106 Dudette
    March 6, 2014 at 3:51 am

41. 107 99ts
    March 6, 2014 at 3:51 am

I am having a few tears – it is no wonder that countries cannot stop fighting each other when internal politics has people ranting at each other – and we cannot even be friends within families.

My local state government is insane & in theory we have an educated electorate – not overly religious and they believe in science and evolution. They voted for “Law and order” and business – get rid of everything else. Then the Australian Government wants to sell our country off to the highest bidder – reduce taxes and reduce services. Send mothers out to work & who cares about the children. The world is going insane – and I feel so inadequate to stop it.

• 108 Dudette
      March 6, 2014 at 4:13 am

It’s deeply saddening to see tso many people do things that are destructive to themselves and others. People do the strangest things out of fear. There are so many characters who create and then cultivate fear for their own purposes. We, here in the States, know this pain well. Try not to let it break you. You’re not alone. There are others like you, perhaps closer than you think. Find strength in numbers. It’s why found a virtual home here at TOD, isn’t it? Do what you can in big and/or small ways to effect change. It will come. It WILL come.

• 109 99ts
        March 6, 2014 at 7:28 am

Thank you Dudette – I see so many here who just pick themselves up and keep on keeping on – I think I really lost it when our local news started quoting Hillary Clinton! – but as you say – change does come – little by little. I feel for the people in Ukraine – I wonder why any nation thinks it has the right to invade another – but so many have been doing this for thousands of years – we all want for our children (and our most wonderful grandbabes) to be free from such things.

So nice that you are back with your music – stay safe in your world.