Mar

Early Bird Chat

MoooOOOooorning Early Birds – Hope you have your dancing shoes dusted down, tonight it’s…..

“Women of Soul: In Performance at the White House”

As part of their “In Performance at the White House” series, the President and First Lady will invite music legends and contemporary major female artists to the White House for a celebration of the great “foremothers” of American music, with songs expressing the struggles and achievements of women.

The program will include performances by Tessanne Chin, Melissa Etheridge, Aretha Franklin, Ariana Grande, Patti LaBelle, Janelle Monáe and Jill Scott, with Greg Phillinganes as music director.

The entire event will be streamed live at White House Live at 7:30 PM ET and will be broadcast Monday, April 7 on PBS stations nationwide.

As with previous White House music events, the First Lady will host a special daytime workshop for students. The First Lady will welcome 124 middle school, high school and college students from across the country to take part in an interactive student workshop: “I’m Every Woman: The History of Women in Soul.” (11:0 AM ET in the State Dining Room)

More here

100 Responses to “Early Bird Chat”

1. 13 Grab a Mop Grace
    March 6, 2014 at 7:27 am

Good morning!

2. 24 africa
    March 6, 2014 at 7:29 am

Boy, MSM in our country gone totally mad.

3. 27 africa
    March 6, 2014 at 7:33 am

• 28 jackiegrumbacher
      March 6, 2014 at 7:54 am

Africa, American journalism is a misnomer. Aside from a few people at the local or regional level, national media are NOT paid to report news; they are paid to be propagandists for their big business owners. Their goal is to shape opinion so that people learn to agree with their masters, rather than think for themselves. I have zero respect for any of them and will not waste precious time giving them my attention.

4. 29 africa
    March 6, 2014 at 7:33 am

• 30 jackiegrumbacher
      March 6, 2014 at 7:56 am

Africa, all bets, all decency and all patriotism disappear if the president is a Democrat. The media and republicans don’t even try if there is a black Democrat in the WH.

March 6, 2014 at 9:26 am

As much as I can not stand Morning Joe, he was on the Today saying the same thing Robert Gates said. How it is not right what the Republicans who are out there criticizing the President over what is happening in Ukraine. There is no need to play politics with this. And believe it or not Chris Cuomo said that Putin did the exact same thing in 2008 when he when into Georgia, but the Democrats wasn’t running around calling G.W. Bush weak and a sorry leader. They put politics aside because they knew it was a serious matter, and Democrats and Republicans needed to supported Bush. Maybe Putin got the idea that he could do what he did and get away with it because he have done it before in 2008 when G.W. Bush was President and McCain and Graham was around too, but not attacking G.W. for doing nothing.

5. 32 africa
    March 6, 2014 at 7:34 am

• 33 99ts
      March 6, 2014 at 7:37 am

Did anyone ever take any notice of Boehner? What has he done as speaker – apart from introduce 50 bills to repeal Obamacare and close down the government?

• 34 africa
        March 6, 2014 at 7:47 am

Boehner is a joke. Not for MSM covering for him and GOP, they would be in the loo.

March 6, 2014 at 9:27 am

Yes John Boehner will go down in history as the worst Speaker of the House. He is just satisfied with the title.

6. 36 africa
    March 6, 2014 at 7:40 am

For the record I particularly abhor the U.S. media for its laziness and collusion with GOP to make everything about president Obama. They are useless.

7. 37 africa
    March 6, 2014 at 7:44 am

8. 38 africa
    March 6, 2014 at 7:46 am

Oh, boy!

• 39 Don
      March 6, 2014 at 8:07 am

I disagree with the police, his death was very natural. If you fuck with the wrong person’s money, they will naturally do something to your ass.

9. 40 jackiegrumbacher
    March 6, 2014 at 8:02 am

Good morning. Good to see everyone up and fighting this morning. Yesterday I had the worst time getting TOD on my computer. As the day wore on, everything started getting slower and slower so that it took forever just to get off the title page. Other sites were okay, so I’m still trying to figure out what’s happening. Anyone else have this problem?

• March 6, 2014 at 8:05 am

Oh, sorry to hear that Jackie. The site can be painfully slow to load because of all the photos and videos but I didn’t realize yesterday was especially bad. Anyone else out there have the same trouble? Usually the only way I can improve it is to have not-too-many posts on the front page, but I’m afraid it’s always going to be slow-ish.

• 42 jackiegrumbacher
        March 6, 2014 at 8:16 am

Chips, I do think it’s my computer. It’s old–seems to work faster in the morning and then tire out as the afternoon goes on–then has a little spurt after 9:00 p.m. Sort of like me. I’m going to have to arrange for computer nap times for the old thing. That, by the way, is the full extent of my non professional, technology impaired analysis.

• March 6, 2014 at 8:21 am

“seems to work faster in the morning and then tire out as the afternoon goes on–then has a little spurt after 9:00 p.m. Sort of like me.”

:lol: Me too, Jackie!

Yeah, my laptop isn’t the quickest and the site can take time to load on it, but it’s completely fine on my desktop. I’m assuming it’s a memory thing, but you know me – clueless on these techy things. You sound like Bill Gates to me.

• 46 99ts
          March 6, 2014 at 8:32 am

Where I live my internet connection slows down in school holidays – and when the kids get home from school (after 3pm). Although we have a relatively fast connection – it is impacted by the load on our local exchange. If speed changes during the day it could relate to factors unrelated to your computer. May also be that more people are accessing TOD later in the day which can also cause a slow down.

I find TOD much slower than it used to be – and tend to blame the tweet links as they are slow to load – but could also be my computer – it’s getting old.

• March 6, 2014 at 8:38 am

Thanks 99ts, I’ll have to try and look in to this to see if there’s anything I can do to improve things. The tweets can be very slow to load for me too, and with the photos and videos the site will probably always be slow, but other sites with lots of images are nowhere near as slow as this place – there must be a solution!

• 48 99ts
              March 6, 2014 at 8:44 am

I wasn’t complaining – just explaining – I blame the schools – should keep the childrens (excluding TODer’s grandbabes of course) in class until 7pm :)

Did you notice how I managed to get grandbabes into the discussion – visiting tomorrow – TOD may be missing my scintillating conversation for part of the day while my heart is otherwise engaged :)

• March 6, 2014 at 8:48 am

“I blame the schools – should keep the childrens in class until 7pm”

:lol: Now that could be the solution!!!

We want grandbabe photos tomorrow – that’s an order!

• 50 99ts
                  March 6, 2014 at 9:21 am

Do please forgive me – my daughter decides when/if where are her babe photos on the internet – but I’m happy to talk about her for hours – which I realize is no substitute whatsoever.

Like most wee ones – she has the largest of eyes – and they are as blue as those of her grandfather – like the color of the sea on the coast of far north Queensland on a sunny summer’s day

March 6, 2014 at 10:41 pm

‘I’ll have to try and look in to this to see if there’s anything I can do to improve things. ‘

For what it’s worth, I’ve noticed that posts that START with a tweet take FOREVER to load, but is there is something (pic / article/ whatever) preceding the tweets the load time is not quite as long.

• 52 jackiegrumbacher
            March 6, 2014 at 8:58 am

99ts, I never thought about the kids home from school. But you’re right, they pour out the doors, rush home and clog the computers. And you’re also right about the tweets–very slow to load. Of course, it could also be that my computer is years out of date. Those who buy the latest, fastest models probably don’t have any problems.

• March 6, 2014 at 8:38 am

Jackie, it may help to clear your cache or restart your browser. I have to quit and restart Safari sometimes because the images fail to load here and on twitter. It’s just plain QUIRKY!

• 54 jackiegrumbacher
            March 6, 2014 at 9:00 am

Ach, meta, you’re speaking a foreign language. Will have to ask Mr. G how to conduct that operation. Even when he tries to explain, my brain fuzzes over.

• 56 MightyPamela
        March 6, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Actually, my iPad with a full signal has been having some struggles. It does seem to occur more frequently with a loaded (lovely) post.

10. 58 99ts
    March 6, 2014 at 8:17 am

Remember a few years ago there was a brief and disgraceful campaign to boycott law firms engaged in pro bono representation of Guantanamo detainees? Remember the bipartisan outcry from lawyers across the spectrum who understood what it means to defend unpopular defendants and ideas, even when—especially when—they are guilty and unpopular? That notion died today in the U.S. Senate. Forget the presumption of innocence for criminals. It doesn’t even exist for their lawyers.

Senate blocks Obama’s pick to head the civil rights division because he’s fought for civil rights.

11. 59 Ladyhawke
    March 6, 2014 at 8:21 am

EJ DIONNE: ‘MUST WE PRETEND TO DISAGREE EVEN WHEN WE AGREE?’

Blaming Obama First

By EJ Dionne

———————————

Moreover, Republicans were utterly unrestrained in casting opposition to Bush’s policies as disloyalty to the nation. When Nancy Pelosi accused Bush in 2004 of being “incompetent,” Tom DeLay, then the House majority leader, denounced the top House Democrat for being “so caught up in the partisan hatred for President Bush that her words are putting American lives at risk.”
    There’s also this. A remarkably broad cross-party consensus has quickly coalesced around two propositions: (1) we will not commit American military forces in this crisis, but (2) we should use every realistic form of pressure at our disposal to contain and then reverse Putin’s assault on Ukraine’s sovereignty. Must we pretend to disagree even when we agree?

———————————–

• March 6, 2014 at 8:26 am

“Republicans were utterly unrestrained in casting opposition to Bush’s policies as disloyalty to the nation”

Oh, so so true – thank you Ladyhawke, great link.

12. March 6, 2014 at 8:32 am

Gooooooooood Morning everyone….sipping coffee…..eating a breakfast sandwich….TOD is like my morning paper…

sent an email to Sen Casey last night…writing a letter to the DA Seth Williams for co-signing with Fraternal Order of Police and others around the blocking of Debo P. Adegbile ….

i knew why Casey gave into the pressure…i was not sure why Williams did….till i read that he was looking to be Board Trustee at Penn State University..

*************

The Struggle Continues

• 62 jackiegrumbacher
      March 6, 2014 at 9:03 am

Good for you, PF. I’m utterly disgusted with Casey. He has no worries about re-election and I thought he was a decent and fair guy. There’s no excuse for his vote and I’ll follow your good example and write to him today.

• March 6, 2014 at 9:16 am

GM Jackie…

how are you this morning….i hope all is well with the family….

it seems that we have to make the DEMs afraid NOT to do the right thing…to give into hysteria is unacceptable…

March 6, 2014 at 8:35 am

GMG

March 6, 2014 at 8:43 am

15. 81 Vicki
    March 6, 2014 at 8:58 am

NY Times editorial calling for David Sampson’s firing. Sampson is the Port Authority chairman and the ringmaster in many of the alleged corruption schemes.
    Christie unraveling bit by bit.
    Can’t wait to hear Gov. Cuomo’s side of this story. Port Authority is a 2 state agency. hard to believe anyones hands are entirely clean.

• 82 99ts
      March 6, 2014 at 9:28 am

“hard to believe anyones hands are entirely clean.”

Which may be why Cuomo is very quiet. I read a story yesterday (sorry missing link) a fund available for the states as they wish to use it.

March 6, 2014 at 9:01 am

Speaking of deafening silence….. http://www.thepeoplesview.net/main/2014/3/5/deafening-silence-why-conservatives-fear-obamas-foreign-policy

What’s ironic about the Republican arguments against President Obama’s current course of action is the fact that they clearly aren’t based in reality and only serve to further embarrass the party. For a political party that used to pride itself on foreign policy victories, today’s Republican Party has officially become paranoid after a string of victories by the Obama administration. The problem focuses on the fact that diplomacy is now seen as a viable solution to solving major international conflicts. This undermines the entire Republican foreign policy of flexing our military muscle first and asking questions later.

It also hurts the Republican Party where it matters most: its wallet. You see, if there are no boots on the ground or no planes overhead then our friends at Boeing and Haliburton can’t make a few million bucks producing products with that profit then trickling down to their shareholders who just happen to be Republican government officials. If American diplomacy not only is implemented, but also works, then maybe, just maybe, people might begin to suggest that this tactic always be used first when an international incident occurs. If that happens, if we actually have dialogue between major world leaders, if we actually have economic pressures and sanctions placed against countries that violate law, if we freeze a nation’s assets, then this could lead to a world where American diplomacy, rather than American destroyers, ends up solving international conflicts.

And that, for Republicans, is a very scary world.

• 84 jackiegrumbacher
      March 6, 2014 at 9:12 am

Thanks for the link, DF. And, of course, the weapon’s and fighter plane manufacturers of the world have no skill in turning swords into plowshares. There are likely thousands of more peaceful applications for their companies, but committed to making hammers, they want everything to be a nail.

Not to mention the fact that nowhere in Republican calculations is there any concern for human life, either of American military or foreign populations. It’s a despicable party that has lost any moral moorings.

17. 86 kathryn kivett
    March 6, 2014 at 9:18 am

Good Morning OD people….took time off to try to get my head straightened out about politics…Democrats have nauseated me with their wasted opportunity by not having a united and vocal front supporting the greatest President in my lifetime…..The last few days have finally clarified the decision that I can no longer be a member of a party that condones disrespect…not only the on going disrespect of PBO but disrespect to other members of the party by creatures like Issa w/o outrage, voting against PBO’s nominees, and last but not least, disrespecting the USA by offering no pushback to politics end at the shoreline. …Some of this might be prompted by being more obsessed with HRC in 2016 and by supporting PBO they are weakening her position….some of this might be just down right racist…and some of this might be b/c they just don’t like him b/c he is more concerned with doing the right thing than playing their kiss ass game…….nevertheless, the Democratic Party has lost me….obviously, if my life depended on it, I could never be a Rep….so at 71 yrs of age, I am changing my registration to Independent…….I realize many of you disagree with my decision…that we should fight on etc. etc. etc…..but until Democrats realize that their actions are losing people like me, nothing will change….their attitude of doing what they want to do b/c.. “what’s the alternative”…”where are they going”…well, I say…let them wonder…..let them actually go to work to win me back…let them go to work to actually earn my vote rather than taking me for granted….and that includes HRC and her machine…..

March 6, 2014 at 9:43 am

You MAY not be able to vote in a primary if you change to Indie….thus, causing you more trouble than you bargained for…and going against the very thing you’re trying to fix. Just a thought.

• 88 kathryn kivett
        March 6, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I understand that and I also understand that there is always disagreement among people in any organization but this goes beyond disagreement…for me…….it leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth……it’s not that by leaving the Democratic Party I think I can fix it….that’s way above my pay grade to fix character…..it’s that the Democratic Party left me….by leaving PBO hanging out on a limb, the principals that I always thought the Democratic Party stood for were negated……Can you even imagine the great things that could have been accomplished if the majority had fought as hard as the R’s have fought against. The trust is gone.

18. 89 99ts
    March 6, 2014 at 9:22 am

Early night – busy day tomorrow – stay safe and warm everyone

19. 90 JER
    March 6, 2014 at 9:23 am

Good Morning Chips and TOD.

WEEKLY JOBLESS CLAIMS DROP SHARPLY TO 323,000 AS LALYOFFS EASE

Initial jobless claims fell sharply last week to their lowest level in three months, the Labor Department said Thursday, as a private report showed layoffs eased in February.

About 323,000 people filed for first-time unemployment benefits in the week ending Saturday, down from 349,000, the previous week, the Labor Department said.

The falloff was steeper than that expected by analysts, who had forecast 338,000 first-time claims. Last week’s figure was the lowest since the end of November. …

20. 92 Ladyhawke
    March 6, 2014 at 9:27 am

THE RACHEL MADDOW SHOW

VIDEO: NJ bridge scandal cover story falls apart – (8 minutes)

——————————————————

Rachel Maddow reports on the Port Authority police union chief changing his tune on the veracity of the NJ bridge scandal cover story.

——————————————————

March 6, 2014 at 9:33 am

March 6, 2014 at 9:38 am

Tunisia’s President Moncef Marzouki has repealed a state of emergency in place since the 2011 overthrow of the former leader, his office has said.

Tunisia has been hit by huge street protests and fighting with Islamist militants since the uprising that sparked the Arab Spring.

Analysts say the move is a sign that the country is trying to return to normality, after a new constitution was adopted in January.

Elections are due later this year.

The emergency gave the government the power to ban strikes and restrict the movement of people.

However, journalist Naveena Kottoor say such measures were not often used.

23. March 6, 2014 at 9:38 am