Mar

ObamaCare: Giving 8.6M People Peace Of Mind

BieMugxCYAAkWyG.jpg-large

Jonathan Cohn: Obamacare Enrollment Now Up To 4 Million

Obamacare remains controversial, but lots of people seem to be using it. According to data that the Department of Health and Human Services released on Tuesday afternoon, more than 4.2 million Americans have used an Affordable Care Act marketplace to select a private insurance policy. Another 4.4 million have sought, and received, approval to enroll in Medicaid. Those figures remain shy of original, internal projections that HHS made. But that appears to be largely the result of Obamacare’s early technical problems, with federal and many states effectively non-functional for October and part of November. The day-to-day, week-to-week pace of enrollment is now close to what experts had predicted all along.

By the time open enrollment ends, on March 31, the total number of people selecting private plans almost certainly won’t be the 7 million target the administration once identified. But it should be more than 5 million and maybe a lot more. March 31 isn’t the end of the story, by the way. People can, and will, sign up for Medicaid all year long. People who lose insurance because of a life change—like a divorce, for example, or losing a job—will still be able to get insurance afterwards. In other words, people will be enrolling in Obamacare into April and May and all the way through the end of the year. And while the pace will be a lot slower than it is now, it’s not going to be zero.

More here

BieMvLXCMAAzCH7.png-large

Dylan Scott: The Obamacare Recovery Continues: Now Up To 4.2 Million Sign-Ups

The Obamacare recovery continued in February, according to new numbers released by the Obama administration Tuesday: 942,000 Americans enrolled in private coverage last month, bringing the total through five months to 4.2 million. Sign-ups are still lagging behind the original 7 million enrollments projected for the entire six-month open enrollment period that ends March 31, but the law has made up significant ground. And if enrollments have been spiking in March as White House officials and health policy experts have long predicted, Obamacare could come closer to meeting that 7 million projection,

made by the Congressional Budget Office before the enrollment period began in October, than most would have thought possible after HealthCare.gov’s disastrous launch. Think of it this way: In October, when the website failed miserably and about 100,000 people signed up for insurance, enrollment stood at 21 percent of what the CBO had expected for that month. Now, assuming Obamacare has a good final month and gets to 5.5 million sign-ups, that’s nearly 80 percent of the original 7 million that had been projected. CBO revised its projection down to 6 million last month, accounting for HealthCare.gov’s problems.

More here

Sy Mukherjee: With One Month Left To Sign Up For Health Coverage, Obamacare Enrollment Surpass 4.2 Million Mark

Just one day after Gallup released a new survey finding that the U.S. uninsurance rate hashit a second consecutive five-year low, the Obama administration announced that more than 4.2 million Americans enrolled in private health plans through the Affordable Care Act’s state and federal marketplaces during the first five months of the health law’s open enrollment season. The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released revised figures last month projecting that approximately six million Americans are expected to sign up for private Obamacare plans by March 31. The latest numbers released today indicate that the administration will at least come close to hitting that mark.

In an encouraging sign for the stability of Obamacare’s marketplaces, the White House reported that enrollment by younger Americans aged 18 to 34 remained stable between January and February at 27 percent of all signups — a three percentage point rise over the average for the first three months. That number is also expected to spike in the final month as the White House, nonprofit organizations, and insurance companies throughout the country engage in an all-out push to sign up as many uninsured Americans as possible — particularly younger and healthier people. This push involves some creative efforts to reach young people. On Tuesday morning, comedy site Funny or Die released an episode of Zach Galifianakis’ web showBetween Two Ferns featuring an interview with President Barack Obama in which the president hawked his signature health law to the young and uninsured. Administration officials announced that Funny or Die’s website had become the number one source of referrals to Healthcare.gov by Tuesday afternoon.

More here

NYT: Almost A Million More Sign Up For Health Coverage In February

The Obama administration said Tuesday that 943,000 people signed up last month for private health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, increasing the number of those who have selected health plans since Oct. 1 to more than 4.2 million. The number of people picking plans was smaller in February than in December or January. But administration officials predicted a surge of applications toward the end of this month, just before the open enrollment period ends. The latest figures were released as the White House makes a final push to increase enrollment, which got off to a slow start because of the technical problems that crippled the federal insurance marketplace in October.

Less than three weeks remain before the March 31 deadline for consumers to sign up. Of the people who have signed up so far, the administration said, 2.6 million were in the federal insurance marketplace, and 1.6 million were in states running their own exchanges. “Over 4.2 million Americans have signed up for affordable plans through the Marketplace,” said Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of health and human services. “Now, during this final month of open enrollment, our message to the American people is this: You still have time to get covered, but you’ll want to sign up today.”

More here

108 Responses to “ObamaCare: Giving 8.6M People Peace Of Mind”

1. March 11, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Because it matters that we have access to health care

March 11, 2014 at 8:36 pm

• March 11, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Thanks, hopefruit2! This will just be a wakeup call for Dems. It would be great if Dems could take the seat back at midterms!

• March 11, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Alex Sink, pissed me off when she publicly said she didn’t want to be seen with President Obama, while running against Rick Scott. Looks like she could have used his coalition…….again.

3. March 11, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Just popping in to say – if you, or someone you know, still needs to sign up for health care, DO NOT WAIT!!!!

This Saturday, 3/15, is the deadline for an April 1st effective date. The last two weeks of the month are the LAST TWO WEEKS OF OPEN ENROLLMENT.

Why is waiting bad???

Because websites crash from too much traffic, and the more people wait until the last minute, the harder the websites are going to be to navigate due to traffic. There are times when I can’t get the sign in screen of CoveredCA to even load. AND IT’S JUST GOING TO GET WORSE.

I’m helping people AT NIGHT, FROM HOME, because the site has less traffic after 6pm.

DO IT. NOW.
    :cool:

• 8 Judith Fardig
      March 11, 2014 at 8:42 pm

It’s kind of like sending in your Common Application to all your college choices half an hour before the midnight deadline. We all know high school kids who have procrastinated that badly. Will the millennials do better than to wait until the last minute to get health insurance?

March 11, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Hi Tally-O, long time no see! :grin: Great point, you make here.

4. 12 Judith Fardig
    March 11, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Word to Democrats running for Congress: Fiercely defending the ACA is your ticket to WIN!

March 11, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Why they don’t take advantage of that, I will never understand! They sell their souls to try to get elected, and it never works – before or after elections, win or lose.

• 14 sherijr
      March 11, 2014 at 8:54 pm

I agree Judith. Even if they are in a republican district- they need to push the common sense benefits of the ACA.. they need to quit trying to be like republicans.. and be informative to their constituents about all the good things Democrats do.

• 15 amk for obama
      March 11, 2014 at 9:59 pm

egg.sack.lee.

If alison grimes doesn’t want to be #sinked, she better buck up and back up the president.

alexsink / smfh.

March 11, 2014 at 8:39 pm

6. March 11, 2014 at 8:39 pm

ESSENTIAL VIEWING ….

7. 23 sherijr
    March 11, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Heres a little story about ‘healthcare insurance’ , actually Medicaid saved me. I’ll make it short. In 2006 I went to an outpatient scheduled surgery- that went horribly wrong due to an error by my doctor. To preface, I was working 2 part time jobs in little town ND- and I was a single parent to my then 6 yr old son- thus we were eligible for Medicaid- which, thank goodness we did have. That surgery that was supposed to allow me to heal and get back to work after 3 days ( I used Memorial weekend to have it done)- in fact kept me in the hospital for 33 days… I ended up on a respirator, became acutely septic, had severe lung damage.. and needed 3 additional surgeries to both save my life and ultimately to repair damage. The cost was over $300,000.00.

The great news was I survived :) and Medicaid covered nearly all of the hospital/surgeries; etc.. and when I sued- because I could no longer work due to loss of good health.. that paid the remainder of those medical bills. NOW whats just as important is that back then in 2006 & 2007 there was still pre-existing conditions… thus Medicaid dumped me like a hot potatoe after about 1 year- literally while I was in the hospital having my 3rd operation at Mayo Clinic I was on the phone with Medicaid fighting over whether they’d pay for my medication. After that, luckily being a veteran I was able to apply for and use my va medical.. and have been doing so since.

Soooo… when President Obama talks about financial ruin because of a sudden impactful health issue… he knows what he’s talking about. I was a perfectly healthy, in shape 47 yr old woman with a young child going about my life normal.. my kid in school and daycare, working, fixing on my home… and poof literally within 24 hours I lost all of that normalcy, good health and my little bit of financial security.

The Healthcare Act is going to prove to be one of the greatest achievements in the history of this country.. many lives saved, and many people who don’t have to fear the horror of those medical bills. That alone can make you wonder why you even survived.

I thank POTUS everyday in my heart for thinking and doing all he can- outside the box- to make our lives better.

• 24 sherijr
      March 11, 2014 at 8:58 pm

should be ‘my 4th operation at Mayo’. accuracy ;)

• 27 Bill R.
      March 11, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. Medicaid is a godsend for many. We now have about 230K more signed up due to Medicaid expansion. That’s only about 30K shy of the projected numbers newly eligible.

On the subject of catastrophic costs from hospitalization the new provision of no lifetime limits saved my wife’s good friend, who after a year of cancer treatment and multiple hospitalizations had bills approaching 1 million $. Would have been devastated and bankrupt in addition to losing her husband.

• 28 sherijr
        March 11, 2014 at 10:14 pm

that is so awesome Bill- first that your wife’s friend was saved.. and second that 230 thousand more people will have a fighting chance at survival too ! Well done :)

• 29 jackiegrumbacher
      March 11, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Sherijr, we’re all grateful you survived this horrible ordeal and were able to raise your son. I completely agree with your state.. “the Health Care Act is oing to be one of the greatest achievements in the history of this country.” You speak truth!!!

• 30 sherijr
        March 11, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Hey Jackie, thank you- glad I’m still around too :) and yep.. hopefully we’ll be around – all of us- to hear and see all the good that comes of this historic law

• 31 MightyPamela
      March 11, 2014 at 10:54 pm

{{{{{sherijr}}}}}

• 32 sherijr
        March 11, 2014 at 11:08 pm

aww thank you MP ((((((((Pamela))))))) and many hugs back to you.

• 33 MightyPamela
          March 11, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Oddly, this was my third attempt to send you some love and light. The first two froze the signal somehow and wouldn’t le me refresh! Had to close out and re-open the thread. Glad I got through. best to you dear sherijr.

• 34 sherijr
            March 11, 2014 at 11:28 pm

I’m glad you got through too.. again, my thanks. I only told the story because I really get POTUS’ intensity about people signing up and getting health care.. bad things really do happen- I never in my whackiest dreams could have imagined that scenario in my life.. but out of the blue, it can really happen.

and Love and Light right back to you MP, 10 fold ~

March 11, 2014 at 11:16 pm

The ONLY reason I enjoyed reading that was because of the happy outcome for you and your son. Hugs to you, sherijr!!!!

• 36 sherijr
        March 11, 2014 at 11:25 pm

welp that’s kinda how I felt about surviving it :) I mean if it had to be- at least it had a relatively happy outcome :) :) thank you JoB~

March 12, 2014 at 2:30 am

Single mom of a son here (now a grandfather), so I also understand how important it was for you to get better for his sake! Thankful you did! :)

• 38 Nena20409
      March 12, 2014 at 11:45 am

{{{{{{Sherijr}}}}}}

8. March 11, 2014 at 8:53 pm

We west coasters are late to the party, but thrilled by President Obama’s outreach to the young and meme-driven!

Susanne posted this behind-the-scenes look at Between Two Ferns at the end of the previous thread:

9. March 11, 2014 at 9:09 pm

The internet being the internet, is filled with all sorts of theories about the fate of #MH370, the Kuala Lupar-to-Beijing missing flight.

There’s a wacko website that rivals World Net Daily for credibility that says there were 20 employees of a Dept of Defense contractor called “Freescale” which building a “cloaking” device, rendering airplanes invisible to radar, sonar, etc. (not a technical person, don’t know how planes are tracked). I think the speculation is that the plane was hijacked to Iran.

To me it seems doubtful that the plane was blown up in midflight because:
    “The Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organisation, which watches out for nuclear weapons tests worldwide, looked at its data for the last few days to see if its infrasound – below the range of human hearing – recordings, normally used to seek out the muffled crump of underground tests, contained any signature of an aircraft explosion. But it found nothing.”

And from AFP:

And lastly, from the weekend, Malaysians are in solidarity against the Putin-thugocracy:

10. March 11, 2014 at 9:11 pm

And as all eyes are turned toward Pacific countries, let’s not forget what happened three years ago today…

The worst natural catastrophe since the Pacific tsunami in the 1990s:

March 11, 2014 at 9:18 pm

I don’t know if anyone mentioned this already, but I was laughing at the “Ferns” before words came out their mouths…the fact they taped the microphone to PBO’s coat the way they did…I was howling! Funny bit, all the way around :) damn I love this man!

12. 49 Nena20409
    March 11, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Too bad Alex Sink lost again. She lost to Rick Scott in 2010 and now to this Polly guy with some problems…..personal problems. Sink had help. Debbie. W-S is the DNC chair and she is from FL. I am sure Sink had help……..just Not enough.

In 2012, yes POTUS won, but so did the late Young. Many Dems probably spit their tickets.

Dems do not explain the need for straight ticket. In 2008, then sen Obama won MN by over 11% points and Al Franken struggled to capture the senate seat….eventually winning by less than 350 points.

13. March 11, 2014 at 9:24 pm

President Obama up to 48% approval………….guarantee nobody will use these #’s after Chuck Toad, is hinting at crappy NBC/WSJ #’s tomorrow.

March 11, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Thank you to Susanne for bringing the background info on the taping for ‘Between Two Ferns’ to my/our attention on the previous thread. Once again we have live testament to the fact that President O (and his Admin) are real.

Go read the entire interview – it reaffirms our belief that our President is gen-u-ine in all things.

//……………………

JDF: You said the idea had been floated before. Was the president familiar with the videos?

SCOTT A: I can’t really speculate as to whether he is a fan of the videos or has seen them at all. Because every time we do one of these, we’re told the person is a fan of it and then you find out that the person has never seen it before. We were told that he took a look at the videos, but the most important thing to me is whoever’s idea it was — whether it was someone on his team or he himself — the fact that they would do it and the fact that they would keep it such a pure experience was really kind of amazing. I mean, they were easier to work with than some people we’ve had on the show before who should have been easy to work with. [Laughs.] So, it was really not only cool like, “Oh, it was cool we did it,” but it was actually a really good artistic experience.
    ………………………….

JDF: Were there certain things that you had to go back and forth on or cut out?

SCOTT A: Zach and I both at a certain point in the process were looking at each other going, “I can’t believe they’re letting us do this,” so pretty much the whole thing — we definitely couldn’t believe it. We kept expecting resistance, but there wasn’t any. It was really an incredible situation. We kept expecting them to say “No, no, no, you can’t have that joke,” or “No, no, no, you can’t be funny, it has to all be about the Affordable Care Act,” but to their credit they really wanted it to be what it was and got out of our way.
    …………………………………..//

Or use the twitter link… Thanks again, Susanne.

15. March 11, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Really, my favorite part of “Between Two Ferns” was the chyron: “Barack Obama (sp?), Community Organizer”. That was golden.

16. March 11, 2014 at 9:43 pm

#TrustBarack …. or GET ROLLED ….

March 11, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Great diaries today on #ObamaCare, ut.

18. March 11, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Meta???

I think it would be prudent for Californian’s not to “gloat” about our weather. Montana is suffering from flooding (early March sounds way too early to this native Californian), the midwest is bracing for potential floods and our midsection (the only area of the country which has had “normal” weather is spiffing up their tornado shelters).

• March 11, 2014 at 10:04 pm

The fire in SF may collapse the building, and it’s spread to adjacent structures.

• 66 sherijr
      March 11, 2014 at 10:20 pm

oh this is horrible. I love San Francisco. Fires are horrifying.

• 67 carolyn
      March 11, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Yes….in Oklahoma we’re warned every day about the upcoming tornado season. Our winter hasn’t been awful, but it has been winter, which we don’t always have. We need rain…..we’ve had snow, but not much moisture comes as a result of the dry snow we’ve had.
      Remembering last May has everyone scared.

• 68 Dudette
      March 11, 2014 at 10:50 pm

OMG! I hope no one got caught in that. How horrible!

• 69 mtmarilyn
      March 11, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I have friends in SF. I have texted tryhem but haven’t heard back yet. We are having so much flooding. Peoples basements are flooding. I have many friends who have lost everything in their basements. The weather we have been having is so unusual, doesn’t get below 32 at night and we have been getting up to high 40’s in the days.

With all the unusual weather all over I don’t understand how people can say climate isn’t changing is so delusional. It is costing this country billions. This all needs to change.

I too love our President. That interview is such a classic. No other President could do what he does. He is a genuine real person.

• March 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Arapahoe, thanks so much for thinking of me.

This is a HUGE horrific fire on the other side of town in an area near AT&T Park. It’s a very large construction site, so luckily that means that there were no occupants. The bad news, however, is that it also means there were no sprinkler systems in place. Thank goodness for our terrific Fire Department but massive amounts of water had to be used on this fire, just another terrible reminder of the dangers of CLIMATE CHANGE in a state facing dire drought conditions.

19. March 11, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Putin has NO CHANCE of winning ….

…. no matter how many people he may kill.

#FREEDOM #FORWARD

• March 11, 2014 at 10:25 pm

And, Ukrainians have real allies …

An “economic life-line for Ukraine”: Temporary tariff cuts for Ukrainian exports to the EU

Statement by EU Trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

I’d first like to thank President Barroso for his presentation today and his full support for the trade action I have been working on for Ukraine.

I am very pleased that the College of Commissioners has agreed today to my proposal for a system of autonomous trade measures for Ukraine.

This will be an important component of the European Union’s package to help Ukraine during this difficult period. A package which the President himself presented to you already last week. What we proposed today adds on to this package – these are new measures.

Today is a first step in delivering rapid and direct assistance to the people of Ukraine. As the President just explained, it is also a clear sign of the European Union standing shoulder to shoulder with all the Ukrainian people.

So what does this system of autonomous trade measures really mean?

In short, the EU will open its doors to exports from Ukraine, giving a real boost to Ukrainian companies with the knock-on effect of creating or maintaining jobs across the country. These measures will be valid until 1 November 2014. We hope that in the meantime the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA) part of the agreement will be signed. If not, we could prolong the measure.

We are all aware of the economic plight facing Ukraine right now. This trade action is more than a gesture – it is an economic life-line.

Now, the ‘one-way’ trade system will allow for almost full, preferential access for Ukrainian goods onto the EU marketplace – without any reciprocity from Ukraine but with a number of key restrictions.

We have, of course, included certain conditions to prevent abuse from third countries – I’m referring to the rules of origin. We have also put in place important safeguards to prevent sudden damaging surges of products onto the European marketplace which would harm our companies or key sectors such as agriculture.

I would expect a positive impact for Ukrainian businesses and workers to be felt just weeks after this system comes into force.

The expected annual benefits for Ukraine through tariff reductions of the original, as yet unsigned trade deal is in the region of half a billion euros per year, to be precise 483 million euros. So, even a few months of this unilateral arrangement would be expected to bring gains in the hundreds of millions of euros for Ukraine.

This is why I strongly urge the European Parliament and our EU Member States to ‘fast-track’ this proposal so that it can be operational by June.

But let me finish by reiterating that this unilateral system is not a substitute for the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA) that from the outset we have proposed to Ukraine.

The EU-Ukraine complete trade deal is still the goal.

In the medium and long term, only the complete trade deal will modernize Ukraine’s economy; provide it with a new lease of life; and build the trade ties to Europe that offer a brighter economic and stable future for all Ukrainians.

20. 73 anniebella
    March 11, 2014 at 10:20 pm

I said something about Sen. Feinstein that I am going to take back. I don’t know what is going on with her and the CIA. I guess I will wait to see what is going on and I will wait to see what POTUS have to say about the matter.

21. 74 criquet
    March 11, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Alex Sink…yikes!

22. March 11, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Hi Folks! I’ve popped in to do my Mark Knoller impression:

The President’s Between Two Ferns comedy skit has racked up 9.4 million views!

#Booyah!

23. 81 Dudette
    March 11, 2014 at 10:41 pm

My smart-ass response to that Faux News “contributor” :-D

March 11, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I see that twitter has brought back its original reply/rt/fav buttons. Let the sleeping dogs lie seems to evade the twitter nerds team.

March 11, 2014 at 10:49 pm

If fucking lickerspittle chris beating the war drums again?

26. March 11, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Tomorrow (depending on your time zone) ….

March 11, 2014 at 10:50 pm

I’m fading, so off I go. Sweet dreams!

28. 92 Dudette
    March 11, 2014 at 10:54 pm

March 11, 2014 at 11:01 pm

March 11, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Yes how about that…..General Senile McCain and First Class Little Lying Lindsey. Along with Sargent Full of Crap Ted Cruz.

March 11, 2014 at 11:11 pm

From Wiki:

In 1998, according to the Congressional daily newspaper The Hill, Graham was describing himself on his website as an Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm veteran. In reality, he never left South Carolina. Graham responded “I have not told anybody I’m a combatant,” he said. “I’m not a war hero, and never said I was. I never intended to lie. If I have lied about my military record, I’m not fit to serve in Congress,” further noting that he “never deployed.”

• 96 amk for obama
        March 11, 2014 at 11:17 pm

typical rethug chickenhawk.

March 11, 2014 at 11:19 pm

I went to find his record to refresh my memory because I knew he had served at some point as a JAG officer (and he did have a chunk of active duty military service in the USAF) …

… and then stumbled upon that little tidbit.

30. 98 Dudette
    March 11, 2014 at 11:04 pm

LOL!

31. 105 Dudette
    March 11, 2014 at 11:12 pm

I love this man!

• 106 sherijr
      March 11, 2014 at 11:32 pm

I was feeling very left out- since no tv, always do my watching online… since I saw the video of the little 2 1/2 yr old girl watching it, I knew I was missing something special .. Thanks for the link Dudette. Already thanked Mr. de Grasse.

32. 107 Dudette