Mar

Bo Obama: Five Years Of Love, Joy, Fun, And Happiness

The Obamas were introduced to Bo (who was born in Texas in 2008 and originally called ‘New Hope’) five years ago today, and the rest was history. Here’s to many more Bo years!

6218344347_eef1f9d911_b

The White House Debuts The Obamas' New Dog Bo, A Portuguese Water Dog

First Lady Michelle Obama receives the White House Christmas Tree

120322_bo9_wh_328_978

Michelle Obama Visits Children’s National Medical Center

120322_bo6_ap_328_978

130115_bo_ap_328_978

The White House Debuts The Obamas' New Dog Bo, A Portuguese Water Dog

111913-national-selfies-michelle-obama-selfie-twitter-bo.jpg.custom1200x675x20.dimg

120322_bo3_wh_328_978

Barack_Obama_with_Bo_on_South_Lawn_5-12-09

slide_220792_874863_free

130115_bo7_whstream_328_978

130527_bo_michelle_sasha_malia_reu_328_978

130115_bo9_whstream_328_978

130527_boobama_michelle_whitehouse_328_978

117 Responses to “Bo Obama: Five Years Of Love, Joy, Fun, And Happiness”

1. March 15, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Happy Birthday, Bo!!

Bo is SOOOO the First Lady’s dog…..

2. 7 carla4obama
    March 15, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Bo..the gift from Senator Kennedy, that keeps on giving!

3. 8 carolyn
    March 15, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Thank you for this NW!!! Great for a Saturday night.
    This will help me do what my husband asked me to do two weeks ago tonight. After we got in bed he said: “Do you think you can let the Ukraine take care of itself for a night and get some sleep?” Sheepishly, I said” Yes, I’m sure it will get along without me.” So…….tonight, with this nudge, I’m going to set the Ukraine aside now and relax.
    Thanks for these wonderful memories. As I looked at these pictures, I looked over at my beautiful, wonderful dog and smiled.

4. March 15, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Loooooooove these photos, thank you Nerdy, we needed a smile!!

5. March 15, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Super collection of fun photos, NW. Thank you and happy Saturday evening!

Congrats on 1st, Layla :)

From TPV, more bad news for Chuck Todd and his BFF Reince Priebus:

“For myself, I can say firsthand that the Republican Party is doing a bang up job in alienating my generation. I grew up in one traditional “toss-up” state and then spent six years in what has recently become another “toss-up” state. Despite this, I can say that roughly 85% of my friends do not identify themselves as Republicans. As millennials, we wonder why women are still fighting battles the Supreme Court decided 40 years ago. As millennials, we wonder why our gay friends’ natural love for each other makes them second-class citizens in 33 states. As millennials, we wonder why 3% of climate scientists are even being considered as part of the national conversation about renewable energy options in this country. As millennials, we wonder why it’s easier to buy a gun if you’re white than to vote if you’re non-white. And as millennials, we wonder why giving our fellow citizens the opportunity to purchase affordable health care for the first time in their lives is worth an attempt to defund a law 52 times.

There was a time where very little policy separated the two main political parties in this country. That time is long gone. Republicans have jumped the shark, and it is literally going to cost them the presidency for the foreseeable future. Not only are millennials having children, but the country is browning (Ann Coulter gasp of horror!) and even beloved Texas has a chance to turn blue in the next decade thanks to utter inaction by House Republicans to even take up the current immigration bill. As Bill Maher once succinctly said, “The Republicans have the same problems as The Beach Boys. Their fans are dying.” Republican “re-branding” efforts to help reach out to millennials have done nothing to help restore the damaged reputation of the party. For whatever reason, the Republican Party itself doesn’t even seem to want to make the effort to include a broader coalition moving to 2016 and beyond despite these sobering new realizations.

For all this, they have George W. Bush to thank.”

#DEMSDominate2014

YES WE MUST

March 15, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Perhaps War Room Tom, Dana Milbank and Washington Post need to have a talk with THIS very astute and aware millennial and the millions of others like him, before running their mouths based on a select poll sampling of SnowdenWaldian-brainwashed fanboys/girls.

• 15 MightyPamela
      March 15, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Ironically, I suppose WE could also be thanking the dimwitted gw bush. And he thought he was such a hero! Let’s see now, what else can we blame on him, now they’ve got us started??!! :lol: :lol:

6. 16 anniebella
    March 15, 2014 at 8:26 pm

I said this early today, but thank you to the late Senator Ted Kennedy for giving Bo to the Obama family. He is a precious dog.

7. March 15, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Bo originally named “New Hope”?? I knew it! He’s a Jedi dog!

Ok, just got back from an early supper / late lunch, and I’m bushed. Off to bed and beat this cold into submission. See everyone later.

March 15, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Excellent pics and wonderful memories of our First Dog’s amazing journey over the last five years! :) Thanks NW!

9. 20 globalcitizenlinda
    March 15, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I watch the maneuvers of the Blue Angels with fascination but from far – I can’t imagine doing any of it myself

;

;

and an explainer of the uniform for today =>

;

10. 21 globalcitizenlinda
    March 15, 2014 at 8:41 pm

thanks for a great collection

11. March 15, 2014 at 8:44 pm

March 15, 2014 at 8:51 pm

WOW…Chips, and here are some very intriguing/positive enrollment stats cited in the article:

// “Enrollment on March 15 at 2pm on the ACA website was 15,000 and counting.
      UPDATE to this story – as of 6:26 PM – Around 23,000 so far for today have enrolled for healthcare. Almost 300,000 people logged into the healthcare.gov website today, Saturday, March 15, 2014.” //

• 30 globalcitizenlinda
      March 15, 2014 at 9:25 pm

great motivation from PBO to the people doing the technical work!

Loved the emphasis PBO placed on the fact that at the end of the day, the Obamacare impact is on the lives of ordinary people not just the website set up

March 15, 2014 at 11:31 pm

That was so nice of POTUS to make that call. I am sure one day soon they will make a visit to the WH so POTUS can thank them in person for the hard work they did.

March 15, 2014 at 11:33 pm

I wish I could thank them for what they are doing, because I realize that having health insurance is so important, having good health insurance.

12. 33 MightyPamela
    March 15, 2014 at 8:51 pm

New Hope, quite a fitting name for the little newborn Bo!! To grow up to be First Dog! Splendid bedtime story, if any of us are children’s writers!

13. 34 globalcitizenlinda
    March 15, 2014 at 8:52 pm

March 15, 2014 at 8:56 pm

LOL – oh dear…Bob Swern had a falling out with KOS? LMAO!

For those of you who are not familiar with the cast of characters on Old Orange, Bobswern is a classic emoprog who could always find a way to spin positive economic news into a “bad news for Obama” diary. The only time I saw a positive Obama diary from Swern was the week after PBO roasted Trump at the WHCD in 2011.

• 36 globalcitizenlinda
      March 15, 2014 at 9:34 pm

wonder how many of these characters are going to end up with the newer and more rich ventures sponsored by libertarian billionaires

15. 37 99ts
    March 15, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Dear Nerdy Wonka

You have won me forever – my day has become perfect – I shall do the chores with a smile on my face

My two favorites – Bo pretending he can fit on Michelle’s knees :) :) and travelling in the car with POTUS.

• 38 Nerdy Wonka
      March 15, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Awww….thank you.

• March 15, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Thanks for your get well wishes the other day. Hopefully after surgery on 3/27 for a detached retina I will be seeing better. But it won’t be right away. The after care will keep me off the computer for an indefinite time.

• 40 99ts
        March 16, 2014 at 12:00 am

My husband had a detached retina Carolmae – when he went to his doc he had surgery the same day. (Well it was in the evening – the “day” finished about 2am the next day). Depending on the type of detachment you may have an uncomfortable 1 – 6 weeks after surgery. Mr 99 was lucky. He had to lie on his side for 7 days – no reading no TV – He could only get up for bathroom and meals & even then was supposed to keep his head to the side. He spent the time sleeping and listening to music/radio.

It worked for Mr 99 – so worth doing it all – despite it was NO fun at the time.

So pleased they have found the problem – and sending you wishes for a speedy recovery. You may well be offline for a while after surgery – but I’ll be sending all the good vibes {{{{{carolmae}}}}}

• March 16, 2014 at 12:05 am

Thank you again for the encouragement. So glad the medical treatment is there. Lots to do to prepare. G’Day to you. :-)

• 42 99ts
            March 16, 2014 at 12:20 am

Look after you first – leave some things for the family to do :) Must admit when I had to stay off my leg for 2 weeks Mr 99 learned to cope – he didn’t much like it – and we ate lots of take away food – but we both survived. He learned to use the new washing machine (that was 2 years old at the time!).

16. March 15, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Ukrainian Greek-Catholic priest in Sevastopol abducted .. by “Crimean law enforcement bodies” (update)

“The Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Church reports that Father Mykola Kvych has been released by the armed men who took him away from his church on Saturday. These armed individuals were supposedly from the “Crimean law enforcement bodies”. An administrative protocol was drawn up against him on a charge of “organizing provocation”. The court hearing over this “charge” is due in two weeks.

Father Mykola who also serves as Ukrainian Greek-Catholic Chaplain to the Ukrainian Naval Forces denies the charges and says that he will be remaining in Sevastopol with his parishioners.”

• March 15, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Kiev’s protesters: Ukraine uprising was no neo-Nazi power-grab
      As life returns to normal in Kiev, Luke Harding encounters frustration over Russian claims of a fascist coup

“According to those who took part in it, the uprising was a broad-based grassroots movement, launched by people fed up with Yanukovych and involving all sections of society. Some demonstrators were indeed nationalists. Others were liberals, socialists and libertarians. There were Christians and atheists. There were workers from the provinces, as well as IT geeks from Kiev more at home with MacBooks than molotovs. Its victims were a diverse bunch. The first was an ethnic Armenian; another Russian.

The man who began this revolution is Mustafa Nayem, a well-known Ukrainian journalist. Last November he put a question on Facebook. Yanukovych had just announced that he was dumping Ukraine’s preparations to sign an association agreement with the European Union. Instead he was turning to Russia. Nayem – an investigative reporter born in Afghanistan – asked: was anyone planning to go to the Maidan? “In one hour my post had more than 1,000 ‘likes’. That night 400 people showed up. They stayed until 6am. Most of them were my friends from Facebook. It was the so-called creative class,” he said.

This mass street protest went through several iterations, he explained. For weeks it was peaceful. Later, the government used brutal force; in the final hours of the regime, suspected pro-government snipers killed dozens.

clip

Nervous European diplomats wonder what will happen next. One, from an EU nation bordering Russia, talked scathingly of the Kremlin’s anti-Kiev information war. “The Russian propaganda machine has been switched to maximum,” he said. “They have activated every agent of influence.” Russian-speakers in Ukraine were getting calls from relatives in Russia, who watched state TV channels and told them “you’ve been occupied by fascists and terrorists,” he said. “Those in Ukraine answered: ‘There’s nothing going on here’.””

• March 15, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Chief Rabbi of Kyiv and Ukraine: There is no Ethnic or Religious Hatred in Ukraine

Kyiv, 12 March 2014 – There are no signs of anti-Semitism in Ukraine. Regardless of their origin, Ukrainians are uniting to counter a common threat, Moshe Reuven Azman, Chief Rabbi of Kyiv and Ukraine said during a briefing at the Ukraine Crisis Media Center.

‘We should draw a distinction between nationalism and Nazism. Nationalism is loving one’s own people, and Nazism is hating others. There is no anti-Semitism in Ukraine’, was Azman’s comment to the Russian propagandists’ claims about the rampage of fascism, Nazism and anti-Semitism in Ukraine.

‘There were different people at Maidan representing different parties’, said Rabbi, ‘Maidan Self-Defense provided security for the synagogue. We were given walkie-talkies so we could communicate. In return, Israel provided medical treatment to several Euromaidan activists who were injured’.

17. 47 99ts
    March 15, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Maybe seeing Bo and his family has put me into a positive mood – ya think :) – but I went to the NY Times “opinion” by McCain – mentioned on a previous thread – I didn’t read it all – but I read many comments – and it seems a good 90% or more see through McCain and support the President’s views/actions

Comments are very worth a read.

March 15, 2014 at 9:19 pm

“….and it seems a good 90% or more see through McCain and support the President’s views/actions…”

As “Meet John McCain” AKA “Meet The Press” is finding out…

• 49 africa
        March 15, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Yup. I read some of the comments. Lots do not agree with McCain.

Hey Hope,

I was reading on my I-phone your back and forth with Tom (War room) Nichols.

Excellent push back. Thank you.

March 15, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Thanks africa – War Room Tom is not used to push-back. He gets very annoyed whenever he is challenged. Especially when his challenger happens to be a PBO supporter.

March 15, 2014 at 11:21 pm

John McCain in his head think he should have been President, he hate this President, he knows people don’t like him like they used too because he has gone so far to the right, so he is doing what all these extreme radical conservatives do, speak to their crazy racists extreme radical right wing base.

18. 53 susanne
    March 15, 2014 at 9:25 pm

thanks for all these wonderful photos of the first family, nw, and happy birthday bo!

the one with bo in the presidential limo with pbo struck a sharp reminder in me, of those days when that photos was used to contrast pbo’s treatment of animals with the way robmey treated his poor doggy. ugh.

19. 54 HZ
    March 15, 2014 at 9:26 pm

I am so grateful to be in this beautiful TOD family with Chips as our brilliant and loving leader. I love Chips because of so many beautiful reasons, but one that I felt in my spirit when I first came to this beautiful space. I felt that this would always be a place where respect to PBO and support would always be the center of Chips work here. And for sure, not one minute does Chips tolerate anything else here. Thank you Chips.

Because of the compassion, respect, caring and loving personalities here in our TOD family, you all have given me so much love and support to move outside of the box and do wonderful and forward thinking actions in the political world that I have never been so moved to help any other president of our country. Thank you all.

I also want to thank each of you for your loving attitudes of caring about others. I know that PBO appreciates and work each day as our POTUS to encourage others to listen, do, and act for others in loving ways that will lift up spirits in beautiful ways to make this journey of life.

I just want to say to each of my TOD family members,” Tell your love ones how much you care for them every opportunity that you get. Do all that is in your power to relax and take good care of your minds and bodies in your young days as well as in your golden days. Remember to always try to put into your space those lovely things that surround your core so that your steps will be made with a boldness of faith in what you believe in and enjoy living.

I just received an important call from two very, very dear friends who brought some news that turned on the water pipes for me. My great friend’s brother just called to tell me that his baby sister was just placed in hospice this afternoon. We found out that she found out last month that she has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She is a very loving and caring brilliant mind who lives in a strong center of faith that has carried her to this point. She is in good hands. I have peace about her brother and his wife and all of our dear friends who met in 1984. So we have a strong bond, but it still hurts. I just want to ask for your prayers and meditation in your quiet time for their family members and for me.

I will continue to work and encourage others to work and support President Barack Obama to encourage those who support medical research in medicine in our country and to give him support and continued wisdom in dealing with requests from Congress to put more funds into medical research. So many good things can and will come out of these efforts for generations to come.

So thank you, Chips for having this beautiful place here to spread the work of PBO and his agenda to help all people. We do this everyday by supporting and working hard with President Obama to help families who need serious research in the medical field. Let us keep moving FORWARD with President Obama and his agenda to help millions in so many diverse ways.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ My friend’s family appreciates all of us who will keep working to help others with serious medical needs.}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}HZ

20. 63 HZ
    March 15, 2014 at 9:33 pm

Bo always cheers my heart. Between he and Danny and Sunny joys are full in my space. There is something about Bo that is so sweet and special for a First Family Dog, IMHO. Of all of the First Dogs that I have seen, Bo is the best Ever. There is just something about him that moves my spirit to beautifulness. Thanks for reminding us of this beautiful First Dog.

{{{{{{{{ Loving hugs to my grandson, Danny also.}}}}}}}}}}HZ

21. 64 a4alice
    March 15, 2014 at 9:39 pm

awwwww good boy Bo. He’s such a great dog. I can’t believe he’s 5 already! thanks NW :-)

22. 65 LDS
    March 15, 2014 at 9:55 pm

NW, thank you for all the beautiful Bo pics. This family and Bo were meant for each other.

Layla, welcome home. We missed you and pray that all is well.
    VC and Kathleen, read your posts way back yonder and we just can’t help ourselves for loving and appreciating this wonder First Family.
    I get all teary eyed and grateful whenever I think about all the accomplishments we have gained along with the challenges and disrespect that came and yet still to come. But PBO stays focus and keep on pushing. His committent to help others is so uplifting and genuine, it must be love.
    A very strong force that some have never and will never experience on earth and therefore, never will. How sad for them.

23. 66 africa
    March 15, 2014 at 10:03 pm

However they get it, as MSM refuses to do its job, just get Obamacare.

24. 67 globalcitizenlinda
    March 15, 2014 at 10:08 pm

I quickly read through the link that Hopefruit provided above and which included the break up of the key people at Old Orange (DailyKos);

I also quickly glimpsed through the comments that follow that diary;

a number of the comments reminded me of WHY I left that site => too many self important (and mainly irrational/unrealistic) people who lost the focus of the common goal of moving the nation forward on behalf of ordinary people and especially the marginalized;

these people seem to spend more time, effort and resources opposing PBO than they do opposing destructive republicans;

the article and the comments also highlight clearly that :

(a) many of those who claimed to be fighting alongside of PBO for the common good are now more focused on personal financial and power gains;

(b) those of us who still appreciate and support what PBO is trying to do in the face of massive obstruction, disrespect and hate directed towards him, must work even harder to fill the gaps of the self-aggrandizing but vocal people who make up the unreasonable portion of the left;

25. 68 yardarm756
    March 15, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Time to get in the mood. :-)

26. March 15, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Just a little agitprop of my own …

Yes We Can

• 70 globalcitizenlinda
      March 15, 2014 at 10:20 pm

the money people will always put their financial interest first and have no loyalty to seekers of political greatness

• March 15, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Can anyone post a link to a blog or website
      that is discussing the subject of the agreement
      by USA, Britain and Russia that took away
      Ukraine’s nukes.

Did anyone in the west really believe that
      agreement would turn out bad?

March 15, 2014 at 10:22 pm

cage match, cage match, cage match

#bo&danny

March 15, 2014 at 10:26 pm

congrats bt on green peeps winning the footbal rugby 6.

perfect for paddy’s day.

29. 95 globalcitizenlinda
    March 15, 2014 at 10:26 pm

March 15, 2014 at 11:14 pm

America has millions without health insurance, while other countries have health insurance for all it’s people, America ought to be ashame.

30. 98 globalcitizenlinda
    March 15, 2014 at 10:28 pm

March 15, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Talk about hogging the spotlight

March 15, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Go fedex. One more win for one more trophy.

March 15, 2014 at 10:47 pm

34. 103 GGAIL
    March 15, 2014 at 10:51 pm

In the first pic…is Bo between two ferns?

35. 112 MightyPamela
    March 15, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I’m just enraptured with the wee lad in the blue sweater vest – he is so utterly smitten with Bo, and the look on his face when he is looking right into Bo’s eyes ~ Priceless!! Never mind he happens to be sitting beside the most fabulous First Lady of the US ever to grace this country, he only has eyes for Bo! I love it!

March 15, 2014 at 11:05 pm