Mar

The 16 Sweetest Reasons To #GetCoveredNow

White House

→  HealthCare.gov

Time: White House Embraces March Madness To Sell Obamacare

The administration has marshaled athletes, coaches, and sports celebrities to help sell the law to the so-called “young invincibles,” whose participation is vital to the success of the insurance marketplaces, according to a White House official who described the blitz….

The field of teams in the college basketball tournament was set to be chosen on Sunday, also known as “Selection Sunday.” On Monday, the White House will release a “16 Sweetest Reasons to Get Covered” bracket listing the top reasons to get health insurance, along with a new web video featuring top college basketball coaches. The bracket will be updated all week to reflect the results of an online survey. The bracket is timed to coincide with the release of President Barack Obama’s selections for his own NCAA tournament bracket on Wednesday, the White House official said.

Additionally, ads paid for by the Department of Health and Human Services featuring LeBron James, Magic Johnson and Alonzo Mourning will air during March Madness games and on ESPN, ABC, TNT and NBAtv, while the agency is targeting digital ads to basketball supporters. Administration officials including Chief of Staff Denis McDonough and Senior Advisor Dan Pfeiffer have called into sports radio stations across the country to promote insurance enrollment.

More here

Roy Williams UNC Men’s Basketball Geno Auriemma UCONN Women’s Basketball

***

Women can’t be charged more than men

Now that’s a slam dunk.

***

It’s the smart thing to do

Nobody’s invincible

Don’t let huge medical bills be your kryptonite.

Make sure you sign up for health coverage.

Birth control is free

***

You never know when you’ll take a hard foul

USA TODAY: Obama team uses March Madness to sell health care plan

On Monday, Obama — who is planning to release his annual NCAA tournament picks this week — will be interviewed by the Univision Radio program Locura Deportiva(“Sports Madness”). That session tips off a string of interviews with administration officials seeking to sell the health care plan…..

Throughout March Madness, a variety of administration officials — including McDonough, Education Secretary Arne Duncan and health care adviser Phil Schiliro — will sit for interviews on sports talk radio stations across the country, another tactic the administration has used in recent weeks. Past targets have included media markets in Atlanta, Austin, Cleveland, Detroit, Houston, Miami, Nashville, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia and Tampa. Administration supporters will also hit the airwaves during the health care push. On Monday, Dan Rooney, chairman of the Pittsburgh Steelers, will be interviewed on a Steel City radio station.

On Thursday — the start of the Round of 64 in the men’s tournament — athletes who have helped the administration promote its health care plan in the past will participate in what the White House calls a “social media day of action,” seeking to drive traffic to websites that are linked to HealthCare.gov. Participants include basketball’s Kobe Bryant and football’s Victor Cruz

***

109 Responses to “The 16 Sweetest Reasons To #GetCoveredNow”

1. 1 MightyPamela
    March 17, 2014 at 2:57 pm

2. March 17, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Thanks a trabillion Lovely Plains, that dog gif especially is cracking me up!! I’m going to show it to Danny, he might learn something!

3. March 17, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Well done, LP!!!

Bravo, Mighty Pamela!!

4. March 17, 2014 at 3:02 pm

“It’s rather sad to see Cohen, who has written with sensitivity and compassion about gulag survivors, sink to the level of a pro-Kremlin Internet troll, perpetuating a crude slander against courageous young women who are currently braving harassment and physical assaults as they advocate for prisoner rights.

Cohen is doubtless sincere in his conviction that he stands against a propaganda war that incites dangerous hostility to Russia. Yet his sincerity leads him to channel Kremlin propaganda as effectively as any paid shill. A verse composed by Russian poet Yevgeny Yevtushenko for Cohen’s seventieth birthday in 2008 included the lines, “I love you, my unique friend, Steve / And envy you that you’re naïve.” Alas, this brings to mind an old Russian proverb: “There’s a kind of simplicity that’s worse than thievery.””

5. 19 MightyPamela
    March 17, 2014 at 3:03 pm

When Vibrant McMuffin pops in, let her know I’m off to the bank, and then to the post office to pick up my emerald from NCLB! :lol:

6. March 17, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Welp.

March 17, 2014 at 3:16 pm

Greenwald have completely lost it.

• March 17, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Someone should has GG if Pooty let him vote yesterday….

• 24 0388jojothecat
        March 17, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Someone should “AX” or “ask” GG if Pooty poot let him and snowflake vote yesterday….

• 25 Nena20409
      March 17, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I read on one tweet that GG said he must take US to task for mistreatment of whatever he wants, but he will always exempt Israel. That says it all. He loved US when GWBush was there but since Jan 20, 2009……the overt hatred of this POTUS also is inflicted at USA.

• 26 99ts
      March 17, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Many will pay an enormous price for supporting Greenwald – at least they may find out a little as to what it is like being a stateless refugee – but theirs is self inflicted – unlike the many who are forced to flee their homes before during and after years of war and strife.

7. 27 donna dem 4 obama
    March 17, 2014 at 3:11 pm

This is fantastic LP. Great job!

8. 28 Dudette
    March 17, 2014 at 3:18 pm
    • 29 Nena20409
      March 17, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Excuse me, @BillMoyers? I like sen Warren. But sen Warren didn’t make this happen. POTUS did. Pushing for this legislatively, trying to get Warren to run the agency, and making that the agency is up and running today with Warren now as a US senator from Mass.

Bill Moyers and many in the Media have a reluctance of GIVING any Credit to Pres Obama. Why is that?

• 30 Dudette
        March 17, 2014 at 3:50 pm

Good point

• 31 jackiegrumbacher
        March 17, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Right on, Nena. Elizabeth Warren worked with the president, but the president made it happen. This was always part of his campaign to help consumers. Moyers means well, but he isn’t always right.

9. March 17, 2014 at 3:23 pm

White House press shop/digital is trolling hard….. OK, GTG to class. Hope everyone enjoys St. Patty’s Day!

• 33 Nerdy Wonka
      March 17, 2014 at 3:29 pm

The White House isn’t trolling. They’re simply responding to people trolling them.

Trolling isn’t what the White House does. That’s not the meaning of trolling. Trolling is when people constantly bombard your mentions with crap, – or as the media does with the White House, write ridiculous “think pieces” every second of the day about things people don’t care about – and you might not know them or have anything to do with them.

This is trolling.

This is the perfect response to trolling.

• 34 forus50
        March 17, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Nerdy,
        I generally agree but I think there is a wider definition of it that includes the insidious trolling you describe but also a more lighthearted fun trolling that I would say this is: “Looking forward to think pieces about @WhiteHouse going around the traditional animal GIF media & straight to voters http://go.wh.gov/8Z3Mmx“. To me Matt Lehrich is totally trolling the media here as to frustrate the media on their game.

Urban dictionary: Trolling is an Internet slang term used to describe any Internet user behavior that is meant to intentionally anger or frustrate someone else, though not to be confused with cyberbullying a form of online harassment targeting a specific individual or group in a deliberate and hostile manner, or pranking, which similarly involves playing jokes on strangers for one’s amusement, but typically implies more coordination and intent.

• 35 Nerdy Wonka
          March 17, 2014 at 4:08 pm

What Matt is doing can’t be classified as trolling. Over the weekend, the media mocked and trolled the White House about its ACA bracket theme. That Matt tweets about it on Monday, doesn’t classify as trolling. He’s responding to what was lobbed at the White House ad nauseam, throughout the weekend.

10. March 17, 2014 at 3:27 pm

Is this really the best that Dems can do? Where’s our bench?

Former Louisiana Governor Edwards, once jailed for graft, to run for Congress
    By Kathy Finn
    NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) – Edwin Edwards, the 86-year-old former governor of Louisiana who served an eight-year prison term on racketeering charges, announced on Monday that he will seek election to the U.S. Congress.
    Edwards, a Democrat and four-term Louisiana governor, launched his candidacy for a seat currently held by Republican Bill Cassidy, who is running for the U.S. Senate.

“I’ve given a great deal of thought to this … and I acknowledge that there are good reasons why I should not run … but there are better reasons why I should,” Edwards told reporters at the press club in Baton Rouge, part of the district he is seeking to represent.
    “I haven’t had this much attention since the trial,” he quipped.

Edwards was accompanied by his wife Trina, who is about 50 years his junior and their baby, who was being looked after by Edwards’ two adult daughters from his first marriage.

11. March 17, 2014 at 3:32 pm
    • March 17, 2014 at 3:58 pm

That ‘history’ thing, again ….

“The Turkish newspaper Hürriyet reports that if the Autonomous Republic of Crimea announces its independence, then it falls under Turkish rule. This is being reported by ipress.ua with reference to Espresso TV.

Based on what the author of the article wrote, this is confirmed by the agreement which was signed 230 years ago by the Ottoman and Russian empires.”

• 49 jackiegrumbacher
        March 17, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Oh my, what a tangled web Putin has woven. If Turkey presses on this, Russia will have another flank to protect–not always the best thing when tensions are already sky high.

• March 17, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Yes, Jackie. Fact is Turkey has been adamant from the moment Putin started his illegal shenanigans in Crimea that they would not allow Crimean Tatars – the only indigenous people of Crimea – to once again be persecuted, expelled, etc., i.e., no repeat of 1944.

And, as you know, Turkey is a NATO Member.

Each moment that passes that Putin persists in his madness, the danger of war increases.

#TrustBarack

• 51 Nena20409
        March 17, 2014 at 4:16 pm

In other words, No Treaty is permanent.

No Borders are permanent.

War…..everywhere…..and Peace is No Longer an achievable Goal.

The world MUST stand in Unison against Putin.

• 52 carolyn
          March 17, 2014 at 4:59 pm

One major reason I have not panicked over this awful situation is because Barack Obama is president, and I KNOW he is knowledgeable about the histories involved. One of his areas of specialization was international studies. He has a deep historical knowledge, a definite necessity for anyone in his position. Also, the people around him are educated and knowledgeable.
          GWB was totally ignorant historically, and so, I believe, were the people around him. They thought nothing that happened before Reagan mattered. They should have studied the partition of Iraq and Iran after World War I very carefully before stepping foot in Iraq! Ignorance is very dangerous.

• March 17, 2014 at 5:05 pm

“I doubt that any country should get involved in a war with Turkey! My husband served with Turkish soldiers in Korea. He said the Turkish pilots were the most daring, and the Turkish soldiers the most ferocious.

These ethnic disputes and loyalties go back hundreds of years and cannot be ignored, or treated cavalierly, as we have tended to do in times past. Obviously the treaties are still important too.”

Yes x 100000000, Carolyn.

#TrustBarack

Yes We Can

• 54 HZ
              March 17, 2014 at 5:33 pm

Thank you Carolyn for your thoughts. So true. And to our Bobfr, {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Thank you, Bobfr}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}. We are so bless to have you within our TOD family.HZ

12. 55 sherijr
    March 17, 2014 at 3:56 pm

I love all the gifs – I voted earlier today for the kitten w/ moms wanting you covered.. it was a hard choice.

• 57 jackiegrumbacher
      March 17, 2014 at 4:11 pm

57, among those million plus signups is my son, which brings a very big smile to my face. Go California.

• March 17, 2014 at 4:11 pm

“If California is representative, we should ALREADY have hit 5M QHPs as of today
      by Charles Gaba on Mon, 03/17/2014 – 2:51pm

I just posted the big announcement out of California: They broke through the 1 million mark on Friday, reaching 1,018,315 QHPs as of Saturday night. This means they’ve been averaging over 10,600/day in March so far.

It also means, using my projection table, that the national total, which I had predicted would cross 5 Million sometime tomorrow, should actually break the 5 million mark today.

Specifically, the national total should be running around 167% higher than February’s rate (33,600/day), or around 56,300/day in March so far. 56.3K x 15 days = 844,500, added to the 4,242,325 to date, for a total of about 5.09 million. I’ll assume that this is highballing a bit, so tack on an extra day or so.”

• 62 Nena20409
      March 17, 2014 at 4:14 pm

CA is now 20% of the ACA sign ups.

They are getting it done.

• 63 MightyPamela
      March 17, 2014 at 5:29 pm

Thinking about you, TallyBard, tho I am quite certain you are not on the blogosphere today, nor will we see you for a few more weeks! This is just what Tally predicted!!

13. 64 Vicki
    March 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Looks like Private health Insurance signups enrollments will EXCEED 6 MILLION by March 31. BFD.

President Obama has already declared (last week) that the enrollment figures are sufficient to make the finances work. So my worry about the ACA being viable has been removed.
    Now just pure joy for every one of our fellow Americans now enjoying greater security and health.

• March 17, 2014 at 4:19 pm

True, Vicki. And, the pressure on those Governors who have not expanded Medicaid will ratchet considerably in the months ahead. Perfect timing re: 4 Nov 2014.

• 66 carolyn
        March 17, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I sincerely hope our governor, Mary Fallin feels this pressure and expands Medicaid! Our state needs it desperately. If it weren’t for the Native American tribes who provide health care to their members, our state would be in worse condition than it is. Fortunately enrolled tribal members get complete health care. But, our numbers of eligible people and available health care do not correspond.
        She is being very stubborn. A good friend who works in the health field, thinks she won’t give in until private companies step in and someone can make a profit.

• 68 Nena20409
      March 17, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Hey Vicki……have you not been listening to our TODable Doc, Bobfr?

His Tweet mantra/motto is Trust Pres Obama. ;)

♥ In jest I make my comments ;)

• 69 Vicki
        March 17, 2014 at 5:06 pm

You are so right, Nena. I do listen to Bobfr and certainly do trust PBO. Nevertheless, I worried a bit.

Now I can worry about the silly things not actual people losing their healthcare.
        For example—HuffPoop is harping on the 7 Million number so that anything less their headline will be “ACA Falls short.”

• 70 57andfemale
      March 17, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I am going to be 64 years old in a few months and being self-employed for the last 33 years I have never had one of my medications covered by insurance. Never. Just to stay minimally healthy, my asthma, blood pressure meds and a few others are around $600/month.

We had awful insurance that never covered my asthma until there was no insurance at all for the last decade. I lived in constant fear.

I chose a Gold plan – for my last year and half until Medicare I wanted maximum flexibility and a low deductible: $500 and $3,500 out-of-pocket cap with a large network. I chose a co-op plan. These plans, with no profit incentive, were supposed to be a bridge to something akin to a public option. In the 2012 budget fight, the Republicans won the elimination of these plans from ACA but anyone who had a grant before then was grandfathered in. IL was able to establish an insurance plan/company that will run on overhead similar to Medicare and we all ‘own’ the company.

My premium, after some subsidy, is $558/month. Your age can still be a factor in premium cost, but with a cap. I do have co-pays on my medications – it will be about $140/month. But I’m still only out a little more for truly comprehensive health care than what I was paying retail for my meds before ACA.

To walk up to the CVS Pharmacy counter and give them my card was overwhelming. My $320 asthma med: $70 co-pay. My $160 nasal spray: $30. And so on.

I need to get my first mammogram. I need to go to the gynecologist for the first time in 10 years. When I was sick last week and even the meds from the doctor weren’t working, I knew if – God forbid – I needed the ER because I couldn’t breathe, I could go. I have insurance. I will not be denied, as I was in 1983 because ‘no one develops asthma as an adult’ sayeth BCBS and they wouldn’t pay for my hospital stay.

I’m one grateful old lady.

• March 17, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Ah 57, that’s just amazing – would you be okay if I used it in a post?

• 75 Vicki
        March 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm

This is the joy I mentioned above. It is for you, 57 and all the other finally fortuneate people now getting the proper care.
        Yay! for you! Yay for President Obama! Yay for all of us.

• 76 HZ
          March 17, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Oh, 57, your comment touched my heart so deeply. Thanks for sharing it with us. I am so grateful that Chips will use it in one of her post. It will come into someone’s space and help them as well as other, I do believe. There is a purpose in all things of goodness. I am so lovingly {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Happy for 57}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} Love you, 57. HZ

• 77 MightyPamela
        March 17, 2014 at 5:33 pm

{{{{{gratefuloldlady57}}}}}. We share so many parallels, 57, but I thankfully don’t share your asthma! You be well. Love to you, and to Mr. 57, and the puppies!

March 17, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Oh, 57, what a heartwarming report! I am so very happy for you. Best of health to you from this point forward, my dear!

#WhyWeSupportPresidentObama

• 80 Dudette
        March 18, 2014 at 1:09 am

That’s wonderful news 57andf! What a relief it must be for you and your family. You really should write to the President. He’d want to know how your life has been touched by his work.

14. 81 Nena20409
    March 17, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Okay…..it is getting closer. A new theory from Stanford.

15. 87 forus50
    March 17, 2014 at 4:38 pm
  16. March 17, 2014 at 5:00 pm
  17. March 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm
  18. March 17, 2014 at 5:03 pm

“Yesterday’s statement by the über-propagandist [Dmitry] Kiselyov on the “Russia One” channel provoked great reaction. Putin’s Jolly Jester suddenly started broadcasting, “Russia is the only country in the world that is actually capable of turning the U.S. into radioactive dust.” Then, he started to scare the viewers with Perimeter [also known as Dead Hand], “our system of guaranteed nuclear retaliation.”

In order to fully enjoy the charming stupidity of Mr. Kiselyov, we must take a short detour back in history. ….”

• March 17, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Interesting final line: “Therefore, if the “Perimeter” system is launched the way Kiselyov portrays it, it is not clear whether the U.S. will turn into dust (given the overall state of the Russian army). But Russia will turn to dust completely then.”

• 92 MadameSoph
        March 17, 2014 at 5:22 pm

I think this guy is like the Russian rightwing’s version of the RWNJ pundits here in the US. Imagine what some of their words must sound like to others around the world. Or what it sounded like outside the US when McCain sang “Bomb Bomb Iran” He seems like their version of an O’Reilly or Beck, Hannity or Limbaugh.

• March 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm

He’s more than O’Reilly or Beck. He’s Putin’s right hand media guy. That’s what makes it frightening.

• 94 MadameSoph
            March 17, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Agreed, LL! Putin’s control of the media does make it way more frightening when something like this is put out; If this guy didn’t have the approval of VP, he wouldn’t say it.

19. March 17, 2014 at 5:10 pm
  20. 98 HZ
    March 17, 2014 at 5:12 pm

A wonderful day in love, hope, and faith to my Chips and TOD family. Lots of loving hugs to Mom and Danny. This is such a great family, and I love you all.

Speaking of helping each other help each other with medical insurance, we will continue to do all that we can to make it a success for so many families. I cannot even think of the worries that so many families go through day after day and year after year without the peace of having good insurance for their children, family members and thoughts of their friends. We need it. And not that our wonderful President gave so much to get it done, we surely can do our best to bring so one along to sign up before the deadline.

I just received a phone call from my dear friend’s brother and sister-in-law that my dear , dear friend passed on into her new transition. She is gone from our physical presence, but her sweet spirit is very much presence. She just celebrated her young 64th birthday this month, and the next day her brother rushed her to the hospital. Eight days later she was placed in Hospice after much doctor and family consultations.

Yes, I have a little anxiety today because I will always remember how she and her family was always there for me. She was the one in the group after my serious fall at school came to me and was there when my desire to eat, sleep, move about, reached a level that I had No desire to live anymore. I had great insurance, great doctors, so I never worried about the payments of the cost. However, her prayers and meditations and gentle spirit with her gentle and peaceful prayers gave way to a sweet powerful wisdom to get me to the proper doctor. It worked!!! I had many lovely people within our group around me, but I felt in my spirit that my body was trying to fight for it stability to stay here. My journey had not reached its last mile. Always pray for a spirit of gentleness, sweetness in mind and wisdom. So this precious life of my dear, dear friend will be missed, but her gentle and spirit of faith will remain in my space.

My TOD family always remember to be gentle with your spirit because you might have to share the beautiful gems with another soul on this earth. If you feel like sending an email, do it; call someone, do it; text someone, do it; and just find something to share with those beautiful spirits within your space because you never know when their physical bodies will leave us.

TOD family:” Reflect on the loving thoughts you have to released into your space that will help the earth feel better to allow it to make those who dwell within it feel better also.”HZ {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Send out something lovely to someone who means so much to you}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} They might be miles away, or just sitting or standing right next to you this very minute. I love my TOD family so much. Thanks for being so patient with my long comment. I just feel so apart of a great birth that a brilliant, loving, and compassionate man gave us as a beautiful gift, our wonderful, calm, gracious, and good man, President Barack Obama. HZ

• 99 Layla
      March 17, 2014 at 5:17 pm

I love you HZ. ‘ However, her prayers and meditations and gentle spirit with her gentle and peaceful prayers gave way to a sweet powerful wisdom’…those will continue HZ. She will always be part of you and with you. Layla-Michelle

• 100 HZ
        March 17, 2014 at 5:43 pm

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ TY, my precious Layla}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}. Your words are of great comfort and truth to me. Powerful thought you are making, indeed. ” Her gentle and peaceful prayers gave way to a sweet powerful wisdom”…….. TY, loving Layla. HZ

• 101 daisydem
      March 17, 2014 at 5:43 pm

What a lovely poignant comment HZ. Many hugs to you as you deal with this news and many thanks for encouraging all of us to be loving and present to one another.

• 102 Dudette
      March 18, 2014 at 2:01 am

Sincere condolences to you dear HZ. Even in the midst of great sorrow or struggle you always take the time to comfort others. You are such a treasure. I love you so much!

21. 103 MadameSoph
    March 17, 2014 at 5:17 pm

What a fun post LovelyPlains!

And I noticed Dudette is a Tar Heel basketball fan like me! So happy to see Roy on board with the ACA. I know he’ll probably take some heat from the RWNJ’s in his state, so I appreciate his support.

Not in N. Carolina, but California. Earthquake woke me up too early this a.m., but not that big so all is well.

All in all, just glad PBO is our President during these times. I know he’s got this (and I bet that he and Kerry get Palestine/Israel deal done before they leave!).

March 17, 2014 at 5:51 pm

MadameSoph, I’m a Carolina Tarheels fan too and I’m so proud of Coach Roy Williams too.

• 106 Dudette
      March 18, 2014 at 2:07 am

Hi MadameSoph. I’m not just a fan, I bleed Carolina Blue. Somewhere in a box in the garage, I might even still have tuition receipts to show for the 4 yrs of “transfusions” that took place yrs ago. Roy is one of the good guys. He’s ready and willing to deal with whatever mess the haters throw at him. He’s more concerned about doing what’s right than how something looks. I’m so proud of him… scratch that, WE Tarheels are so proud of him!

22. 107 57andfemale
    March 17, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I love science, don’t you?

23. 108 Linda
    March 17, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I just received an e-mail from c-span Q&A and have been assigned an ” incident ” number for the complaint I sent this morning about Brian Lamb from last nights program with Cass Sunstein

If is really good and Sustein gushes over and over about Barack Obama….when they met….( in PBO’s 30’s at U of Chicago ) and how Cass was having a casual conversation and just blurted out ” You should be the President “… when he met Samantha Power ( in Iowa at the start of the 2008 campaign and they fell in love.

When Brian Lamb started asking him about the ACA he went off the rails….with negative questions and his entire tone changed…plus what he said was ALL WRONG about the law….he misquoted Nancy Pelosi and insisted the law was written IN SECRET

Anyway… I look forward to their explanation of what Lamb said …….

I highly recommend the link.