Mar

Rise and Shine

President Obama, Vice President Biden, and senior staff, react in the Roosevelt Room as the House passes the health care reform bill, March 21, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today:

1:15: Jay Carney briefs the press

4:05: President Obama meets with Inernet CEOs

The First Lady in China:

First Lady Michelle Obama and her daughters Malia and Sasha are greeted by Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Peng Liyuan at the Diaoyutai State guest house in Beijing, China

First Lady Michelle Obama and her mother Marian Robinson share a light moment with Chinese President Xi Jinping, and his wife Peng Liyuan after a photograph session at the Diaoyutai State guest house in Beijing March 21, 2014

First Lady Michelle Obama and U.S. Ambassador to China Max Baucus meet with Chinese President Xi Jinping, second from right, and his wife Peng Liyuan during a meeting at the Diaoyutai state guesthouse in Beijing

First Lady Michelle Obama, her daughters from left Sasha, Malia, Michelle Obama’s mother Marian Robinson, right, and Peng Liyuan, wife of Chinese President Xi Jinping pose for photograph as they visit to Forbidden City

…. watching students demonstrating remote control mechanical robots at the Beijing Normal School, a school that prepares students to attend universities abroad

Peng Liyuan shows First Lady Michelle Obama how to hold a writing brush as they visit a Chinese traditional calligraphy class at the Beijing Normal School

First Lady Michelle Obama plays table tennis at the Beijing Normal School, a school that prepares students to attend colleges overseas

On This Day:

President Obama pumps his fists during a meeting with senior staff in the Chief of Staff ‘s office at the White House, March 21, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

In between meetings on health care reform, President Obama plays a game of H-O-R-S-E with Michael Strautmanis, chief of staff for the Office of Public Engagement and Intergovernmental Affairs, on the White House Basketball Court, March 21, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama talks on the phone with a Member of Congress in the Chief of Staff ‘s office at the White House, March 21, 2010. From left, aides Phil Schiliro, Sean Sweeney, Rahm Emanuel, Jim Messina, and DanTurton (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama President Barack listens to Phil Schiliro, assistant to the President for Legislative Affairs, during a meeting on health care in the Oval Office, March 21, 2010. Katie Johnson, the President’s personal secretary, stands in the background. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama shakes hands with Phil Schiliro after learning they had secured a yes vote on health care reform from a Member of Congress, March 21, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and Vice President Biden congratulate Phil Schiliro on the passage of the health care reform bill, as they ride the elevator to the private residence of the White House, March 21, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

March 21, 2010: “Aides greeted the President as he walked out to the Truman Balcony to celebrate passage of the health care reform bill. He had invited everyone in the White House that had helped–both senior aides and support staff–but was the last one at the party because he had been making congratulatory calls to members of Congress.” (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and his daughter Malia arrive in Santiago, Chile, March 21, 2011

Chilean First Lady Cecilia Morel, right, talks with First Lady Michelle Obama and daughters Sasha and Malia during a cultural event at the Museo Interactivo Mirador in Santiago, Chile, March 21, 2011 (Samantha Appleton)

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama gather with President Sebastián Piñera of Chile, wife Cecilia Morel, and their family for a photograph during a dinner at La Moneda Palace in Santiago, Chile, March 21, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama greets children during the U.S. Embassy meet and greet in Santiago, Chile, March 21, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama boards Air Force One in Roswell, N.M., March 21, 2012 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama views the Dead Sea Scrolls at The Israel Museum in Jerusalem, March 21, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama with Miss Israel, Yityish Aynaw, March 21, 2013

President Shimon Peres and President Obama embrace during a state dinner hosted by Peres in Jerusalem

President Obama shakes hands with Israeli President Shimon Peres after Peres presented him with the Israeli Medal of Distinction at a state dinner in Jerusalem on March 21, 2013

President Obama waves to the audience after delivering remarks at the Jerusalem Convention Center in Jerusalem, March 21, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama greets Palestinian children who had performed a dance routine during his visit to the Al Bireh Youth Center in Ramallah March 21, 2013

MoooOOOooorning! We’ll catch up with news later in the day – for now, just feast your eyes on the photos

128 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

March 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

yesss

2. 8 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 10:10 am

3. 10 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 10:15 am

• 11 mtmarilyn
      March 21, 2014 at 10:25 am

Good morning TODville!!! It is a beautiful “Spring”(?) morning in Montana. Cold and windy. Love all the pictures of FLOTUS and girls in China. They represent us well!!!

Dudette, Blessings for your family. Strength for your sister and all. Know your mother’s love is strong.

4. 13 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 10:18 am

5. 14 ouapiti
    March 21, 2014 at 10:19 am

Morning! Thanks for all the great photos of the Obama women in China. I am so sick of hearing some idiots complaining about this trip — have they never heard of diplomacy? These photos tell a great story!

March 21, 2014 at 10:41 am

ouapiti, I get tired of it too, but I have come to realize they are going to complain cause they can’t stand our POTUS and FLOTUS.

6. 16 Nerdy Wonka
    March 21, 2014 at 10:19 am

Liar, liar, pants on fire, got her ass caught.

7. 18 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 10:25 am

8. 19 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 10:26 am

9. 21 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 10:29 am

• 22 CEB
      March 21, 2014 at 10:40 am

I knew this and lived it. I was in my senior year (Fall ’71-Spring ’72) when this was passed. One of the rallying cries was if we are old enough to serve and die in Viet Nam, we are old enough to have a say in how our country is run. The minute I turned 18 in Spring of ’72, I hopped on a bus to go downtown to register to vote (I was fortunate to come from a voting, involved family) and have proudly voted in every local, state and federal election since.

• 23 sjterrid
        March 22, 2014 at 12:50 am

Ceb, I had to wait until the following year before I could vote, because I turned 18 a few weeks after the election on Nov. 30th. Like you I have voted in almost every election.

• 24 Linda
      March 21, 2014 at 10:48 am

I remember when that Amendment passed……it came from Birch Bayh……due to the Vietnam War when our soldiers fought and died but could not even vote….

To bad his son Evan turned out to be a DINO. !

• 25 jackiegrumbacher
      March 21, 2014 at 10:52 am

Yes, Dudette, I did know that because it applied to my generation. Because of the way presidential election years fall, I was a whopping 24 before I could vote for president. Very frustrating.

• 26 Lynn
      March 21, 2014 at 11:04 am

Many folks don’t realize,this was one of the major reasons so many were protesting the war. If you could be sent to the battlefield, you should at least be able to vote for or against the senders. Heady days. Takes me back. Wepre all a lot older and slower now, but still up for the challenge!

Thanks for the reminder, Dudette.

• 27 GGail
      March 21, 2014 at 11:58 am

Yes, we protested because if you were old enough to go to war, you should be old enough to vote!

YEA Democracy Day

10. 28 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 10:35 am

:-D :-D :-D

11. March 21, 2014 at 10:39 am

12. 39 Betsy
    March 21, 2014 at 10:44 am

Good Morning all! I am SOOOOO thrilled. My daughter’s boyfriend just signed up for health care here in CA!!! He had to get a driver’s license first as he moved here, and she moved back to live with us for a short while. I am beyond excited !!! They’ve had a lot of difficulty getting work, so he is doing extra work on movies and TV shows, and she is a part time nanny, yoga instructor and also does extra work. So he isn’t making enough money and yesterday completed his sign up with his new CA Driver’s License and doesn’t have to pay anything as he isn’t making enough money!!! He is so relieved, his parents are beyond excited (republicans) and happy. I am so glad it all worked out. Now, with my son getting healthcare in January in NYC, my whole family is now insured!!! Yay. Thank you so much President Obama. I adore that man!!!!

13. 45 Cindy
    March 21, 2014 at 10:44 am

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE!!

It’s the 1st day of SPRING!!!!! For me, it’s the celebration of SPRING BREAK-NO KIDS!!!!

Good morning Chipsticks and Danny…..thank you for the beautiful pictures of Mrs. Obama, Grandmother Robinson and the girls, what a treat.

Wishing TOD members and everyone, a DELICIOUSLY AWESOME DAY!!!

Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not promised, so lets celebrate and be grateful for our “TODAY!”

If you find that you have too many blessings, please give some away : )

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!

14. 47 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 10:47 am

15. March 21, 2014 at 10:48 am

Good Morning, All!

Proud day for Democrats. If only they knew it and acted like it.

16. March 21, 2014 at 10:48 am

• 63 Dudette
      March 21, 2014 at 10:53 am

“We had a wonderful first day here in Beijing,” the first lady said. “We had an opportunity to meet with students, I tried my hand at ping pong — not so good. And our visit to the Forbidden City is one that we will never forget. Being able to see my mother, who doesn’t get to travel internationally often, walk through that ancient city, and to see her excitement and wonder is a moment that I will treasure forever.” – First Lady Michelle Obama

• March 21, 2014 at 10:59 am

SO so so sweet. I’m grateful to Mrs. Robinson for choosing to live in the White House and nurture her family.

March 21, 2014 at 11:11 am

The fact that FLOTUS could do this for her Mother is so wonderful.

• 67 GGail
        March 21, 2014 at 11:55 am

Dudette, I highlighted the same passage to post then scrolled down & saw yours. :-)

I especially was touched when FLOTUS said “Being able to see my mother, who doesn’t get to travel internationally often, walk through that ancient city, and to see her excitement and wonder is a moment that I will treasure forever.”

I can imagine how full of pride that she is able to provide a trip like this for her mother. And look at the look of pride on Mrs. Robinson’s face as she’s looking up at her daughter in pic #3 of the China trip photos.

Just imagine….your daughter is the First Lady of the United States. My heart swells with pride because my daughter only has 12 months left of medical Residency. I’d float like a helium filled balloon if she became First Lady or President!!! :lol:

• 69 CEB
      March 21, 2014 at 2:18 pm

It was so nice to hear Sasha practice her Chinese with her greeting to the president.

March 21, 2014 at 10:49 am

Any Questions??????

“I think the Koch brothers are two of the most patriotic Americans in the history of the Earth.”

— Sen. David Vitter (R-LA), quoted by the Huffington Post.

March 21, 2014 at 11:02 am

desertflower, tell David Vitter I said Thank You for the laugh. What makes them patriotic is their billions of dollars.

• 74 jackiegrumbacher
      March 21, 2014 at 11:14 am

And I think David Vitter is the biggest horse’s ass in the history of the earth, although it’s a tough competition. Those who gave their lives for their country and whose tombstones fill the ground of Arlington Cemetery could not possibly be as patriotic as the brothers who want to buy America and reshape it in their own image. They’d probably love to buy Mt. Rushmore, chisel out the presidents’ images and carve their own hideously evil faces on it. Vitter needs to go back to Louisiana and drown himself in a pot of very spicy gumbo.

18. 75 sabreen60
    March 21, 2014 at 10:49 am

Good Morning/Evening Ms. Chips and TODers.

What glorious pictures. FLOTUS is fabulous in Chinese red :-)

And the ACA is such a great accomplishment. Almost beyond comprehension. How anyone in their right mind could want to keep health care from the American people is unfathomable.

19. 76 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 10:56 am

20. 77 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 11:08 am

So this…

and this…

Any questions?

21. 79 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 11:09 am

22. March 21, 2014 at 11:30 am

Great start to the day, guys!

Taste buds have been messed up. After first treatment, everything was bitter. Second treatment, everything tasted like bread dipped in water. Today? I can actually taste my food. Hope it’s not temporary. Probably is. bleh.

23. 90 itgurl_29
    March 21, 2014 at 11:33 am

Wow, the ladies look wonderful! And I’m loving that red dress on FLOTUS. Stunning.

March 21, 2014 at 11:38 am

25. 93 yardarm756
    March 21, 2014 at 11:40 am

Good day everyone. TGIF……ot but
    Am I the only one who doesn’t know who she is??? She is one incredible Black Woman.

• 94 Cindy
      March 21, 2014 at 11:59 am

HAPPY BEAUTIFUL FRIDAY TO YOU!

How are you? I do pray that things are better or they are getting better for you. I read your post regarding some challenges that you were having, so…..I did what I know to do, pray for you to be delivered from them all. I hope that the sun is shining on you.

Thank you for this video. How awesome! Mrs. Johnson story should be played for “all” math students. So many students have a resistance for learning math. I tutor 11th and 12th grade students who can’t do the tables without a calculator, and please don’t give them a fraction to solve. I have a 6th grade student that I tutor and she can’t divide, and parents are wondering why the students can’t get accepted into college.

I am going to search for Mrs. Johnson information to use in the classroom for my math students. What an inspiring and uplifting story.

Thank you for sharing this.
      Blessings,

• 97 otter44
      March 21, 2014 at 2:55 pm

Thanks for sharing that clip. I say thank you to Katherine for her vital contributions to the space program. She rocks.

26. 98 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 11:42 am

March 21, 2014 at 11:47 am

28. 100 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 11:48 am

29. 101 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 11:50 am
  30. 102 Dudette
    March 21, 2014 at 12:02 pm

March 21, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Hi, D-ette. I gather from someone’s comment up above that I missed some family news for you, but as I rushing out again for an afternoon meeting I’ll check into it on my return. Have a good afternoon!

31. 104 MightyPamela
    March 21, 2014 at 12:19 pm

No finer, more intelligent or more appropriate group of people to represent us in China than Michelle Obama and her family. I feel so satisfied! Back in a bit, slow start to this day.

32. 105 Nena20409
    March 21, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Great Post. FLOTUS, Mom and Daughters in China. Lovely.
    Congrats Amk on your Gold.
    Great to read from you G <3 B.

TGIF.

Here's a great way to wake up.

• 106 Cindy
      March 21, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Happy Friday Nena20409!

There are absolutely no words for this…….my, my, my, this is just too cute for words.

Thank you for sharing! I am smiling…… : )

Heck! Happy Friday to me : )

• 107 nospin
      March 21, 2014 at 3:23 pm

that is one of the cutest things I ever saw.

33. 108 Nena20409
    March 21, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Rev Sister Cristina in Italy’s Voice singing Alycia Key’s No One.

A great way to end the week on a Friday.

34. 110 bjw2
    March 21, 2014 at 12:34 pm

Happy FRIDAY TODers!!
    I’m caught up on every post and I must say you guys have disappointed me. Please correct me if I’m wrong but, no one has commented on the fact that Sasha is now sporting braces. Heck I may even be wrong about that too.

Check out her coming down steps of the airplane. Her smile is sporting a metal gleam.

35. 111 Nena20409
    March 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm

Fitch said Friday that the U.S. rating remains at “AAA.” The agency adds that the debt-ceiling crises in 2011 and 2013 don’t appear to have affected the country’s ability to borrow. Fitch also says deficits that are expected to fall played a role in its decision.

Another ratings agency, Standard & Poor’s, downgraded the U.S. credit rating one notch in 2011 after a standoff in Congress over whether to raise America’s borrowing limit. S&P’s rating remains at “AA+”

36. March 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm

First, back in December 2011, Rick Ungar told us all about “the bomb buried in Obamacare.” Its something called the “medical loss ratio” (MLR). What it means is that – as a result of ACA – insurance companies have to limit the amount of premiums dollars they spend on overhead and profit to 15% (20% for those in the individual market). Anything charged above and beyond that has to be refunded to their customers…

…they are losing huge shares of the individual market to nonprofit companies and co-ops charging lower rates (ie, those who can forgo the “profit” part of “overhead and profit”)…

…The story isn’t simply about how many people sign up on the exchanges – its also about what companies they sign up with. IOW, that old free market concept called “competition” might be about to bite the big fellas in the ass.

the medical loss ratio will, ultimately, lead to the death of large parts of the private, for-profit health insurance industry…

ShaaaaaaaaaaaZammmmmmmmm!

• 113 Don
      March 21, 2014 at 1:15 pm

You would think that the insurance companies after being blessed with millions of new customers would take advantage of the ACA and start doing right by their customers. The MLR will be like a giant policeman keeping insurance companies honest. But what I like the most is that President Obama tweaks the ACA ever so slightly whenever an unintended consequence arise, it drives the Republicans batsh*t crazy.

• 115 Lovepolitics2008
      March 21, 2014 at 3:58 pm

I’m probably all alone here but anyway… This particular provision of the ACA is very important for the future. Wanna bet that it’s NOT in the republican’s proposition, the one they’re planning to promote for the mid-terms ??!!!

37. 117 Nena20409
    March 21, 2014 at 12:43 pm
    March 21, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Hey Amk, I’m sticking my head in on my lunchtime to let you know that no airline has as yet contacted me, and I’m a wee bit nervous. Hopefully you have a means of tracking this…right? ;)

Hello TODobots, wherever you are! I think of you often. This is a quick ‘hi’ before heading back out to a meeting (which is sure to be mega boring – I HATE meetings). Who allots 3 hours for a meeting (except someone who doesn’t know how to manage time/discussion)? I’ve already decided that I’m allowing 1½ hours, then I’m going to say I have to leave. That will be nothing but the truth, if I wish to keep my sanity! ;)

39. 124 MightyPamela
    March 21, 2014 at 12:51 pm

In the embassy in Chile, the light in the eyes of the children, the expression of delight and excitement at seeing PBO, the young lad trying for a Selfie with PBO! And there is one very small one, all you can see are the eyes: but there is a story in those eyes, how I wish s/he could tell us what they see when they look at POTUS!! I know what I see, but I believe children see more than we do, and see more clearly, altho they may not yet have the vocabulary to express it. It’s always in the eyes.

40. 126 MightyPamela
    March 21, 2014 at 1:12 pm

It seems to me, with no ‘official’ meeting scheduled, that the President and First Lady of China making sure to welcome Mrs. Obama and family to China, is a monumental gesture, not only of courtesy and grace, but more significantly, they recognize her presence as a valuable influence on the Chinese people, as well as the American people who are paying attention. This trip has been months in the planning, I am certain. It affects me deeply that the welcome meeting took place, and the photos indicate optimistic progress in Chinese/US diplomacy.

• March 21, 2014 at 1:21 pm

You’ve expressed this so beautifully.

I also love that President Xi Jinping made sure to tell her that he really enjoys his friendship with PBO.

• 128 MightyPamela
        March 21, 2014 at 2:12 pm

Thanks meta. I feel certain that the majority of world leaders are very pleased and relieved to have a man of President Obama’s caliber at the helm of this enormous ship; and tho there may be a few exceptions, whom I will not name, the openness among world leaders is a sign of optimism and willingness to move forward globally, recognizing our basic needs are the same everywhere. President Obama is the one who has created the dynamic flow of energy to allow this to take place. We know it, most of the countries in the world know it, and we are all aware of those who refuse to see the promise of the moment, and why they refuse.

RSS OFA