Mar

Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD

Staff Sgt. Melvin Morris is awarded the Medal of Honor by President Barack Obama during a ceremony in the East Room of the White House in Washington, Tuesday, March 18

Sunday

@henryhealy: Myself & @paddyanglican trying to look important in the Green Room in the White House

Early Bird Chat

@PeteSouza: President Obama with President Abbas

Top O’ The Morning Chat

President Obama speaks on Crimea

Rise and Shine

President Obama Meets with Palestinian President Abbas

The 16 Sweetest Reasons To #GetCoveredNow

“I’m One Grateful Old Lady”

Medal of Honor: A Wrong Put Right

Tuesday

@PeteSouza: The President applauds the three living Medal of Honor recipients

Early Bird Chat

Rise and Shine

The Day Finally Comes

Ukraine Crisis in Tweets

The President Awards the Medal of Honor

Chat Away

A Long Time Coming

Night Owl Chat – Ladies and Gentlemen, The Kinks

Wednesday

President Obama with Julie Chavez Rodriguez, Deputy Director of Public Engagement (Cesar Chavez’s granddaughter), at a screening of the film “Cesar Chavez”

Early Bird Chat

Rise and Shine

On Leadership and Manliness

Cesar Chavez’ Comes To The White House

The Obamas + Ellen = A Fantastic Time

Thursday

Valencia College in Orlando, Florida

Early Bird Chat

Rise and Shine

Ukraine Crisis in Tweets

President Obama at Valencia College, Orlando

Jon Favreau On What He Learned From President Obama

“When Women Succeed, America Succeeds”

Friday

First Lady Michelle Obama and her mother Marian Robinson share a light moment with Chinese President Xi Jinping, and his wife Peng Liyuan after a photograph session at the Diaoyutai State guest house in Beijing March 21, 2014

Early Bird Chat

Rise and Shine (First Lady in China)

The Week in Toons

Affordable And Comprehensive Healthcare In Your 20s? ✓

Saturday

The First Lady in China

On This Day:

President Obama talks with Nancy-Ann DeParle, director of the White House Office for Health Reform, during a reception on the Truman Balcony of the White House, early March 22, 2010, following the House vote to pass health care reform (Photo by Pete Souza)

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton congratulates President Obama on the House vote to pass health care reform, prior to a meeting in the Situation Room of the White House, March 22, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

March 22, 2010: “The day after the health care bill passed, the President greeted Sen. Tom Harkin at the door of the Oval Office before a meeting with the Senate Democratic Leadership.” (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama greet children during the arrival ceremony at Comalapa International Airport in San Salvador, El Salvador, March 22, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

First Lady Michelle Obama helps paint a mural during a community service project at the Superate Youth Center and Health Clinic in San Salvador, El Salvador, March 22, 2011 (Photo by Samantha Appleton)

President Obama offers a toast as first lady Michelle Obama raises a glass to El Salvador First Lady Vanda Pignato during an official dinner at the Casa Presidential in San Salvador March 22, 2011

President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama toast during an official dinner hosted by Salvadoran President Mauricio Funes at the National Palace in San Salvador, El Salvador, March 22, 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama and President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority talk following their tour of the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, the West Bank, March 22, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama lights candles as he tours the crypt containing the birthplace of Jesus during his visit to the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, the West Bank, March 22, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama tours the crypt containing the birthplace of Jesus during his visit to the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, the West Bank, March 22, 2013 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama pauses for a moment as he lays a wreath at the Hall of Remembrance during his visit to the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem, March 22, 2013

President Obama walks with Rabbi Israel Meir Lau in the Hall of Remembrance during Obama’s visit to the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial in Jerusalem, March 22, 2013

President Obama during his visit to the Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial museum on March 22 in Jerusalem

130 Responses to “Rise and Shine: The Week at TOD”

March 22, 2014 at 10:36 am

:cool: 2

March 22, 2014 at 10:36 am

lots of jumping around to get in. Won’t be surprised if I get bumped.

• March 22, 2014 at 10:38 am

Moooooorning Birthday Girl!

• March 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm

Happy Birthday, VC (‘Quiet One’) … posted a greetings to you late last night and doubt that you saw it. Hope you are enjoying your day and the grand celebration you are having with all your TOD friends.

March 22, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I saw it, thank you! Thanks too for this current wish. ;)

I AM enjoying the lovely wishes AS WELL AS the fact that I can hang out here all day because it’s the weekend. I’m even sort of enjoying the fresh early morning snow, BECAUSE I can turn a side eye to it as I have no plans to go anywhere. In my corner, life is good! :) :) :)

2. 12 a4alice
    March 22, 2014 at 10:39 am

Wowza Chips! A MONSTER post by you! :D

March 22, 2014 at 10:40 am

LOL. Good one.

4. 14 Nerdy Wonka
    March 22, 2014 at 10:43 am

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…..SUCK IT Arsenal and Manchester United.

IN YOUR FACE Amk and Chips.

You come for Chelsea, we’ll bury you.

GOOOOOOO BLUES!!!!! I LOOOOOOOVE YOU.

5. 18 CEB
    March 22, 2014 at 10:44 am

Hi Chips,
    I really like this week in review post that you have started doing on Saturday’s. When life gets in the way of TOD viewing, we can now come here on the weekend and catch up. Even for those who have been able to see and participate in the daily posts, this review makes it easy for us to go back to our favorites or to those we missed.
    When i see everything laid out like this, I marvel even more at how exhausting it is to be president of the US, and these are just the public actions, whew!
    Thanks again, Chips; this is a winner.
    PS Sorry that Danny ruined your best sweater.

• March 22, 2014 at 10:48 am

Morning CEB!! I’m so lazy about doing this regularly, but will try from now on – as you said, it’s a handy way for people to catch up, and pretty spectacular evidence of how incredibly busy the President is.

Don’t worry about that sweater, it will recover!!

Have a great weekend CEB!

• 20 CEB
        March 22, 2014 at 10:51 am

It is a beautiful, sunny Spring day in NE Fla. for outdoor living. Hope you and Danny have a great one as well.

6. 21 Nerdy Wonka
    March 22, 2014 at 10:45 am

This is what Chelsea did to Arsenal today.

Manchester United? Your time will come again. We’ll do worse to you.

Chelsea’s Number One! Chelsea’s Number One.

March 22, 2014 at 10:46 am

A man asked his wife, “What would you most like for your birthday?”

She said, “I’d love to be ten again.”

On the morning of her birthday, he got her up bright and early and they went to a theme park. He put her on every ride in the park – the Death Slide, The Screaming Loop, the Wall of Fear.

She had a go on every ride there was. She staggered out of the theme park five hours later, her head reeling and her stomach turning.

Then they were off to a movie theater where they ate popcorn and sweets and drank Cola. At last, she staggered home with her husband and collapsed into bed.

Her husband leaned over and asked, “Well, dear, what was it like being ten again?” One eye opened and she groaned, “Actually, honey, I meant dress size!”

See? That’s why you don’t ask us for presents.

8. 29 Nerdy Wonka
    March 22, 2014 at 10:48 am

Fantastic recap of the week, Chiparoo.

• March 22, 2014 at 10:51 am

And once again, Nerdy, I note that you did 99.42% of the posts – I seriously DO need to work harder!! You’re a legend.

• 31 Nerdy Wonka
        March 22, 2014 at 10:54 am

Awwwww….thank you Chiparoo.

It’s a pleasure.

March 22, 2014 at 12:22 pm

‘You’re a legend.’

That she is! A young one too, so she really enjoys the work. ;)

‘I seriously DO need to work harder’

It’s okay. Old people LIKE US can step away a bit when we have inspiring, energetic, and willing young folk to share the load.

March 22, 2014 at 10:50 am

For his birthday I gave my son an iPhone.

My daughter received an iPod for her’s, and for my birthday I was pleased to receive an iPad.

Thinking along the same lines, I got my wife an iRon, and that’s when the fight started…

Aaand, I am off to dinner.

• 36 Layla
      March 22, 2014 at 10:53 am

Welcome to the ‘i’ family

March 22, 2014 at 10:56 am

Did she HIT you with the iRon?? :) Have a great dinner….

March 22, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Maybe she branded him, Df. The nerve!

Thank you for my B-D wishes. :) Wouldn’t I like to give him an iRon as an inverse gift on my b-d!

• March 22, 2014 at 10:57 am

Scooooooooot!!!! :lol:

• 41 amk for obama
        March 22, 2014 at 11:21 am

It was Grandpa Jones’ 100th birthday and he was still in perfect health. At his birthday party he was asked how he managed to live so long and stay so fit.

He explained, “I put my long life down to spending so much time out of doors. I’ve been in the open air, day after day, rain or shine, for the last 75th years.”

“How do you manage to keep up such a rigorous fitness regime?” we asked.

“It’s simple” he said. “When I married my wife 75 years ago, we both made solemn pledge on our wedding night. We agreed that whenever we ever had a fight, whoever was proved wrong would go outside and take a long walk.”

• 43 a4alice
      March 22, 2014 at 1:50 pm

ha! Good one.

March 22, 2014 at 10:52 am

Right On with Rise & Shine! G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone and congrats Birthday Girl on #1 :)

Excellent Saturday R & S and what a great recap of a great week! Thanks Chips :)

11. 47 Nerdy Wonka
    March 22, 2014 at 10:53 am

The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat.

As Omar from The Wire said: “You come at the King, you best not miss.”

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

12. 48 globalcitizenlinda
    March 22, 2014 at 10:53 am

Happy Birthday VC! May you have many more prosperous and happy one – have a great life!

ps: here is how I “solved” my age issue – I found the year I was happiest and I have stuck with that as my official age (kind of like Her Majesty, the Queen) and as for the actual age ….., well people have to ask my parents or for my birth certificate and few will dare…

March 22, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Thank you, GCLinda! My day has just been great, what with phone calls at home and good company in the village – who could ask for anything more? Not me!

I like your solution, though in truth I cannot remember which year I was happiEST. When I think about it, I have led a very …….. life (didn’t want to actually print the word, in case I jinxed it going forward). :) As for asking my parents, imagine my surprise when my mother asked me recently how old I was again? Of course I didn’t tell her. I was cheekily tempted to ask her if she wasn’t there for the big event, but mother and I do NOT have the same sense of humour, and it was one of those days I was trying to behave myself. ;)

March 22, 2014 at 10:54 am

HEHEhahehahahaha!

14. 51 carolyn
    March 22, 2014 at 10:59 am

I loooooooove the first picture. It is my favorite one of the week. The quiet dignity of Sgt. Morris, and the quiet, almost fatherly pride in the President’s eyes. That picture speaks volumes.

15. March 22, 2014 at 11:05 am

OMG, this is an astounding R&S. Thank you so much, Chips, for all this info and all these incredible memories. WOW.

16. 56 globalcitizenlinda
    March 22, 2014 at 11:08 am

PBO and Russia;

Yahoo News has a good article by Rob Garver entitled : “How Obama Crippled a Russian Bank with a Stroke of a Pen”

it is a good read.

hope someone can provide the link – have to go now.

thanks

17. 58 JER
    March 22, 2014 at 11:10 am

Good Morning Everybody.

18. March 22, 2014 at 11:11 am

GM TOD. One hell of a round up, Chips!! A true labor of love….. I’m sure the village greatly appreciates this :)

……Your friendly BT is killing it in his NCAA bracket right now ……..out of 11+ million here is where I sit: :cool:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

19. 84 MightyPamela
    March 22, 2014 at 11:15 am

Happy Birthday First x 2, VC! I think you should go for 3 as a collection during the day! Also, it seems someone thinks you might like to blow out a few candles: http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=PBO

March 22, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Thank you for the lighted candles, MP. Did you make a wish for $$$ galore when lighting? I bought a few lottery tickets on the way home last night, and as luck is not one of my ‘strengths’ maybe lit candles will help. :) Tell you what, if I win big, I’ll help you get a little house with the white picket fence as I’m told most people dream of. If I win bigger, maybe we can plan that TOD cruise of regulars that DonnaD wanted to have previously. Dreams, dreams, dreams, dreeeeeeeeaaaaams!

March 22, 2014 at 11:15 am

IOKIYAR!!!!!!!!!

A couple who collected food stamps and other public assistance from Minnesota while living on a yacht in Florida were being sought on fraud charges, prosecutors said on Friday.

Colin Chisholm III and his wife, Andrea Chisholm, accepted more than $165,000 in public assistance between 2005 and 2012 before benefits were terminated, according to prosecutor Mike Freeman in Hennepin County, Minnesota.

They bought a $1.2 million yacht, The Andrea Aras, in 2005 shortly after applying for welfare benefits in Minnesota, according to complaints against them. They have been accused of living on the yacht in the area of Palm Beach, Florida, for 28 months while lying about living in Minnesota.

21. March 22, 2014 at 11:20 am

Um, GOP, go home. You’re drunk.

22. March 22, 2014 at 11:31 am

AWWWWWWW!!

23. March 22, 2014 at 11:47 am
  24. March 22, 2014 at 11:55 am

Hey VC, I see where it is your birthday today. I wish you a happy day, with lots of love, yummies and celebrating. You are totally special in every way and help brighten my visits to TOD.

March 22, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Thank you, Almab! I’m having a mahvel-lus day in the village, celebrating and being feted. :) Since I haven’t been conscientious in the exercise department over the last year, I’m taking it easy with the yummies. I’m glad you were able to join me today.

25. 102 africa
    March 22, 2014 at 11:58 am

Happy Saturday TODers.

Hiya Chips

26. 103 africa
    March 22, 2014 at 12:02 pm

So, we know that Koch brothers ads are false and people they used have been debunked. Why can’t Dems use our success stories via ads?

27. 104 Bill R.
    March 22, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Great photos. Good morning to all from Oregon!

March 22, 2014 at 12:16 pm

All you need to know about Bill, Hill, and McGrumpy.

Clinton said McCain, held for more than five years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam, was “absolutely, fundamentally pivotal to my ability as president to normalize our relations with Vietnam, to get an answer on what happened to the unaccounted-for prisoners of war, to help us to build a new and different world,” Clinton said. He noted that many of McCain’s “dreams, like mine, are frustrated by what we see in the aftermath of the Arab Spring, the Syrian civil war, and in the streets in Ukraine.”
    The Arizona Republican, in turn, complimented the former Democratic president for being “an example of continued service to the country,” particularly when he could be “back down in Arkansas relaxing, probably catching catfish or something.”
    McCain also praised the former president’s intervention in Bosnia, stating that while the nation is not a “perfect place,” it is “a country that has a chance for freedom.”
    “Mr. President, I thank you for your leadership in two terms in office where you had to make tough decisions — the most difficult that any commander-in-chief has had to make,” McCain said. “And I think you made the right decisions.”

I tell you what. I would have to swallow REALLY REALLY REALLY hard to vote for her. I would, but I hope someone WAY better grabs the reins.

• 114 57andfemale
      March 22, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I. Am. Breathless.

What hard choices did Clinton make in foreign policy? He made plenty of choices that led to the deregulation of banks that led to economic collapse. He put the American media in the hands of RWNJ’s.

Hillary will be a terrible President. She will think it’s 1998 and she will think she has to act like a tough man instead of steering the world back to sanity.

And here’s a newsflash for the clueless Bill Clinton: McCain is going to stab Hillary in the back the first chance he gets. You moron.

March 22, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I could not agree more, 57. I don’t trust any of them…AT ALL. It’s even more than that…but I’m with you all the way on this.

• 116 amk for obama
      March 22, 2014 at 12:40 pm

uugghh. coterie of corrupt clowns. 2014 & 2016 are really ‘murka’s last chances.

• 117 MightyPamela
      March 22, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Politic Snow, is more like it. That was then, this is Now, two old coots who don’t know when their time has passed. They need to sit down and shut up now. As far as billo relaxing down in Arkansas, hill ain’t gonna let him rest until her pipe dream of being first woman president is in the bag. Ain’t gonna happen. They are all past their prime, their mistakes are on record, visible to all. And people are getting smarter, informing themselves more. Not interested in taking that bridge to the 20th century. The planet is too frail, there is too much at stake to risk it all by putting this lot back into the driver seat. Bye y’all. I must away! Happy Birthday again to my dear VC!

• March 22, 2014 at 3:56 pm

THERE ARE NO WORDS.

29. March 22, 2014 at 12:17 pm

I hope the right video posts here…… I hate those Youtube channels that are formatted differently and end up posting the newest video instead:

Backup:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

30. March 22, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Some more pics from Peking University:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

31. 123 africa
    March 22, 2014 at 12:33 pm
    March 22, 2014 at 12:34 pm
    March 22, 2014 at 12:36 pm
  34. March 22, 2014 at 12:40 pm

you have to wonder what this is about….esp in MD…if OMalley runs for President…is Steel eyeing the Governorship…

35. 128 whatisworking
    March 22, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Happy B-Day VC

than you so much for your work here. I so appreciate your helping Chips. This blog is off the charts amazing and so are you.

36. 129 Nena20409
    March 22, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Au for VC. ;)

Wow The Week In Review is Awesome Chips.

FLOTUS Red Dress is just perfect.