Mar

The First Lady in China

@FLOTUS: The First Lady thanked staff & their families at the U.S. Embassy in Beijing — then met this cutie. #FLOTUSinChina

Text of the First Lady’s remarks at Peking University here

….. receiving a gift, a book entitled The History of Chinese Civilization, from Zhu Shanlu, Communist Party chief of Peking University

First Lady Michelle Obama shakes hands with Chinese students after delivering a speech at the Stanford Center at Peking University

First Lady Michelle Obama and her daughters Malia and Sasha applaud as they watch a Peking opera performance with a group of American schoolchildren who are visiting China during their spring break, at the Summer Palace in Beijing

Paramilitary policemen stand guard as visitors take pictures of First Lady Michelle Obama (not seen) who is visiting the Summer Palace in Beijing

…… walking with staff members as she and her daughters Malia and Sasha visit the Summer Palace in Beijing

….. riding a tourist boat for sight-seeing during a visit at the Summer Palace in Beijing

MoooOOOooorning Early Birds – Happy Saturday!

144 Responses to “The First Lady in China”

March 22, 2014 at 8:37 am

:cool: Know what day it is? …. It’s Saturday! ;) …. Happy Saturday EVERYone!

2. 24 Layla
    March 22, 2014 at 8:37 am

GM all! Happy Birthday vc!

March 22, 2014 at 8:44 am

Happy Birthday VC!! Apparently Chips was already done with the baking when I posted my comment above :) Hope you have a wonderful 29th birthday and wishing you many more.

March 22, 2014 at 9:03 am

Thanks again, Hf! Sadly, I can no longer lay credible claim to 29, or even 39 ( which is what I meant to type as the second number above), not with now having to physically look up to offspring. I’m still debating what’s my next choice, so maybe by day’s end I’ll have come to a conclusion.

March 22, 2014 at 9:06 am

Don’t worry vc – as they say, 60 is the new 20!

March 22, 2014 at 9:09 am

Does it FEEL like it too, in which case, I’ll hurry to lay claim to i?

March 22, 2014 at 9:11 am

Heh…I can only hope. Perhaps JO’B can give us some insights!

March 22, 2014 at 9:18 am

Hopefruit, have you noticed how many mistakes I have already made this morning? I didn’t realize brain/typing skills deteriorated so rapidly! :shock: There’s much to learn as you age!

March 22, 2014 at 10:38 am

Ha! hf, at somewhere between 66 and 68, I can only “advise” that, inside, I feel 35!

HAPPY birthday, VC, dear O’friend! We’ve been celebratin’ for hours, thanks to MP and GGail!

March 22, 2014 at 8:46 am

Happy b’day vc.

March 22, 2014 at 8:50 am

Thank you, Carolmae for that B-Day cake. Was that a bee getting a first taste? ;)

Thanks Bobfr, and Susanne, I’m working to maintain my ‘quiet’ image.

Thanks a whole bunch TerriD, NCLB, Nathk, Theo, GGail. My Special Day has already started on a strong footing, thanks to you all!

JO’B, my very own poem??? Now that’s a first! I’m speechless….for now.  Thanks!

MP, what have you been up to? I saw that this morning!

Amk, thank you (I think – Paris seemed so attractive). Mother told me to be grateful for everything. (If you ask me, a pity mothers’ influences never seem to fade.)

6. March 22, 2014 at 9:03 am

Oh crikey, Arsenal 3-0 down and down to 10 men against Chelsea after 16 minutes.

Hello Amk.

March 22, 2014 at 9:05 am

Looks like the students are really enjoying FLOTUS’ visit and interaction with them. And in pic # 11, look at that crowd of visitors trying to get photos of the First Lady. On another note, the girls are as tall as (or in Malia’s case) taller than the SS guys…. :) :)

March 22, 2014 at 9:08 am

I am keeping an eye, or two, on you, Amk!

March 22, 2014 at 9:12 am

Okay – the public has SPOKEN loud and clear. They like their Obamacare and they want to KEEP it!

10. March 22, 2014 at 9:14 am

Happy and blessed day to vc, our family ‘quiet one.’ :)

March 22, 2014 at 9:16 am

Morning everyone:) Happy Birthday, vc!!!!! Hope you have an amazingly wonderful day today…heck, celebrate tomorrow, too! As for not being 29 anymore….after a certain age, we just say it is the “X anniversary of my 29th birthday”…..takes care of that little problem:)

Officially on spring break now…though the animals in my house don’t know this. 5am wake up call WAS NOT what I had in mind for this morning….we must talk.

March 22, 2014 at 9:17 am

If Jon Huntsman didn’t let his ego get out of control and didn’t heed the feckless media’s advice to try to run against his own Boss, he probably would be on this trip with FLOTUS witnessing a new kind of history. Oh well, his loss…

• 87 Layla
      March 22, 2014 at 9:21 am

Well it sure exposed his flawed character!

March 22, 2014 at 11:30 am

Even redstate.com, or whatever that RWNJ site is called, wrote that Huntsman did the wrong thing – working for the administration, during which time he was plotting to run against it. That guy has no core.

March 22, 2014 at 9:21 am

yes…and be sooooo much better at that than Max Baucas…..sorry. Can’t wrap my head around that one.

• 90 Lovepolitics2008
      March 22, 2014 at 9:46 am

I think his political mistake was to accept the President’s offer in 2008. And frankly, it was a very astute move from the president to offer him the job. President Obama knew that Huntsman could be a threat.

Among all republicans, in my opinion only Huntsman is presidential material. Much too conservative for my taste, but he’s not an idiot, nor a bully. He would have been a more challenging opponent than Romney. But of course, he couldn’t get any traction in the republican primaries; he had worked with “the enemy”. If he hadn’t worked for the President, he may have had a chance. Although I suspect the republican establishment would still have tried to push Romney because they knew he would be easier to control than Huntsman if he became president.

March 22, 2014 at 10:05 am

It was conventional wisdom that Huntsman was a “threat” to President Obama. But my insights tell a different story. Huntsman’s performance in the GOP primaries was remarkably uninspiring. He came off as anemic and scripted, and I have reason to believe that there were other unsavory issues (e.g., association with Koch Bros) that never came to the light because he didn’t win the GOP nomination. Whether or not he worked for PBO – if his platform was sufficiently differentiated AND at the same time inspiring, he could easily beat Romney. But his “sane” words were essentially echoes of PBO – which would would not have motivated the rabid Tea Partiers. Furthermore, it would have created a strong and distracting cognitive dissonance for “moderate/centrist” white voters who didn’t like PBO for his skin color but were okay with Huntsman pushing the same policies. It would leave the media with very little to analyze since it would be more than clear that Hunstman was simply the “white” Obama that a certain segment of America pined for.

Keep in mind that Romney was former governor of a deep blue state AND was the “grandfather” of what we now know as Obamacare – yet Mitt Romney was the GOP nominee and received more votes than McCain who had none of this residual baggage of association with Obama or Democratic policies. So Hunstman working for PBO was not going to be a huge deterrent if he were inspiring AND his policies were differentiated, and sensible.

March 22, 2014 at 10:06 am

He may not be an idiot or a bully, but he lacks presence, IMO, and a motivating speaker he ain’t.

March 22, 2014 at 10:48 am

My point exactly vc!

March 22, 2014 at 10:56 am

Actually, I chuckled after I saw your response and checked the time on both. The chuckle came because I remembered you complimenting CC recently that she said in three sentences what you took a paragraph (or two?) to say. Not to worry, what matters is the conclusions are similar, which validates the argument….IMO. Or should I say in OUR (TOD) opinion?

March 22, 2014 at 10:58 am

You know vc – I actually almost wrote in that comment that you said in 1 sentence what it took me 4 whole paragraphs. I’m pedantic like that….I’m trying to make change, so bear with me :) :)

March 22, 2014 at 9:29 am
      March 22, 2014 at 9:55 am

Won’t depress me, all Democrats and Independents with any darn sense just need to think about what the Republicans have done to sabotage this economy since President Obama has been in office, think about what they have block, job bills, unemployment benefits, veterans benefits, minimum wage increase, immigration reform, take away women’s right to make their own decisions about their body and these Republicans haven’t put forth anything to help the poor and middle class, they haven’t done a dam thing. Their whole plan has been to block President Obama and hope the voters will blame him. These Republicans even closed down the Government for no reason. All the good President Obama have done is on the ballot in November. We need to get out to vote, we have too.

14. 99 Nerdy Wonka
    March 22, 2014 at 9:30 am

OMG!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!!!! Chelsea 4 – 0 Arsenal.

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha….IN YOUR FACE Amk and Chipsticks.

LOSERS!!!!!!!!!

We’re number one! We’re number one!

15. 104 dotster3
    March 22, 2014 at 9:31 am
  16. 106 anniebella
    March 22, 2014 at 9:32 am

Let me also wish you a Happy Birthday vc,

• 108 Don
      March 22, 2014 at 9:48 am

It’s about time somebody snatched Ta-nehisi Coates’ wig!

• March 22, 2014 at 10:03 am

yanno…Don….I do not quite know what to make of Coates…he sometimes has brilliant and poignant commentary…and then other times…he makes deeply irresponsible comments…(IMO)…whenever I read him…I kinda hold my breath til the end…

• 110 Don
          March 22, 2014 at 10:08 am

Oh yes! These black intellectuals never do a damn thing but pontificate from on high about some black messiah that will swoop down wearing a dashiki and a scowl and will somehow convince “whitey” to change evil his ways. When Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton criticizes President Obama about something, I might not like it, but they have damn well earned that right through years and years of sacrifice working on the behalf of the black community. Say what you will about Jesse Jackson, but he has been at the front of many protest marches and picket lines for many years fighting the good. Whatever Jesse Jackson has said about President Obama lately, I’m willing to let it go. But when people like Coates, Smiley or West start to open up their mouths about some shit that they refused to get involved in, that’s when I draw the line.

• 111 Lovepolitics2008
      March 22, 2014 at 9:56 am

I hope it goes viral. So so right to the point.

• March 22, 2014 at 10:14 am

Thanks, hf.

• March 22, 2014 at 10:16 am

YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
      “But the broken, pathologically broken culture of left intellectuals is a profoundly lazy one. While out in the real world, people are hard at work at Moral Monday and in OFA and in thousands of political campaigns, economic development efforts, legal struggles, and more, in the progressive intellectual coffee house, sneering ignorantly is all that is expected”

• 116 sjterrid
      March 22, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Thanks for posting Rootless’s post here, hf! Great piece.

17. 117 sherijr
    March 22, 2014 at 9:48 am

good Saturday morning TOD ~ and a very happy & joyful Birthday to VC ~ wishing you a wonderful day! :)

18. 120 Nerdy Wonka
    March 22, 2014 at 9:58 am
    March 22, 2014 at 9:59 am
  20. March 22, 2014 at 10:01 am

Good morning, Chips and TODville.

I’m definitely an early bird and Saturday mornings I’m usually being a pastry nerd doing research. This morning I’m fascinated with Bohemian yeast rolls filled with jam or Nutella. Why do you ask? LOLz.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VeeeeeeeCeeeeee!! I know you don’t care much for pastry so I hope you’re presented with a delightful box of crackers and a glass of milk today!! Wheeeeeee!!

March 22, 2014 at 10:51 am

Thank you for the wish, Meta mine!

Now, you are not going to escape that easily. I may not care for pastry, but I am not selfish. I understand you were responsible for the cake from the west for the guests to this party and I just told MP that extra cake was on its way, so you are not off the hook. Tap. Tap. Tap. ;)

• March 22, 2014 at 11:00 am

Oh.

Well then, LOTS OF EXTRA CAKE!!

May your day be full of fun and lots of love. xoxo

March 22, 2014 at 11:28 am

Thanks my one true pastry friend! I really can’t ask for more than I have already received today, including your wish. I do ‘feel the love’. [Speaking only for myself here. I suspect the other party goers may still ask for cake. Just saying.]

And having written ‘just saying’ of course I think of Jovie. Jovie, wherever you are at this particular moment I hope you sense we are thinking of you. What’s the old saying… I hope your ears are ringing?

21. 127 CEB
    March 22, 2014 at 10:09 am

GM everyone

The most dangerous man in the world is a focused smart one who knows how to wait for the optimum moment to strike. The more I read about and grow to understand this latest move of PBO’s against Vlad and his henchmen, I see the pure genius and cold-bloodiness (a good thing) of it. The bank and its oligarch investors, and by extention, the oil and gas industry which is Russia’s major cash cow, have all been crippled with a left-handed stroke of the president’s pen. Because of the inter-connectedness of international banking their ability to go elsewhere is almost impossible. I love how the president made a short, simple statement regarding this move and went on to attend to the many other issues that he deals with each day. This let’s Vlad and others know that it is not all about hiim; he is a fly in the soup that will soon drown. Then is the same timeline we hear about the SEAL team who stopped the thieves who were trying to sail Libyan oil on the black market by capturing the tanker. People here and abroad need to learn that PBO does not forget, that he means what he says, and that the more laid-back and affable he seems is the time to really fear him. This is the man who told, with perfect timing, some of the best jokes ever at a WHPC correspondents dinner, after sending SEAL team 6 after bib Laden. He has shown time and again that he IS the man; ignore this at your peril.

• 128 Don
      March 22, 2014 at 10:23 am

CEB, you are so right, the other day after President Obama announced that he was going after some bank in Russia. Someone on t.v. made the snide remark about this bank not even being one of the top twenty banks in Russia. But those that know said that this bank was were Putin and his allies all do their banking, SURPRISE! And now the EU has gotten their shit together and is going after Russia. President Obama is indeed coldblooded and ruthless, oh well.

• March 22, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Exactly, CEB!!

#TrustBarack … or, at least, pay attention to who he is, otherwise enjoy eating asphalt …..

March 22, 2014 at 10:14 am

‘appy dance for vc’s b’day.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

March 22, 2014 at 10:15 am

This morning, I had the privilege of visiting Peking University and speaking with Chinese students and American students studying abroad here in China. Peking University was founded more than a hundred years ago, in 1898, and it is one of China’s best-known universities. The American students in the audience today came from a number of different universities, and by studying here in China, they get to experience daily life in this country firsthand, practice their Chinese, and form lifelong friendships with Chinese students.

As I said in my speech today, these experiences represent so much more than a fun way to spend a semester. In today’s increasingly global, interconnected economy, businesses here in America do business with, and compete with, businesses around the world. So these days, knowing a foreign language and being familiar with a foreign culture can actually be an important qualification for a job.

In addition, so many of the challenges we face today – like climate change, economic opportunity, and disease – are shared challenges, meaning that no one person in any one country can address them alone. ……………………………
    …………………….//

24. 139 Nerdy Wonka
    March 22, 2014 at 10:23 am

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…..SUCK IT Arsenal and Manchester United.

IN YOUR FACE Amk and Chips.

25. March 22, 2014 at 10:29 am
  26. 142 globalcitizenlinda
    March 22, 2014 at 10:41 am

Happy Birthday VC!

May you have many more prosperous and happy one – have a great life!

ps: here is how I “solved” my age issue – I found the year I was happiest and I have stuck with that as my official age (kind of like Her Majesty, the Queen) and as for the actual age ….., well people have to ask my parents or for my birth certificate and few will dare

March 22, 2014 at 11:34 am

Thank you, GCLinda! I like your solution, though in truth I cannot remember which year I was happiEST. When I think about it, I have led a very …….. life (didn’t want to actually print the word, in case I jinxed it going forward). :) As for asking my parents, imagine my surprise when my mother asked me recently how old I was again? Of course I didn’t tell her. I was cheekily tempted to ask her if she wasn’t there for the big event, but mother and I do NOT have the same sense of humour, and it was one of those days I was trying to behave myself. ;)

28. 144 Nena20409
    March 22, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Happy Birthday V <3 C

Au suits you and so too with Ag.

Congrats.