Mar

The President’s Day

President Obama tours the American cemetery at Flanders Field with Belgian King Phillippe and Belgian Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo, right, in Waregem, Belgium (Pete Souza)

All times local

10:40 AM: The President participated in a wreath laying, Flanders Field Cemetery

10:50 AM: Toured Flanders Field Cemetery

11:0 AM: Delivered remarks

Text of remarks here

12:35 PM: Arrived at the Council of the European Union to participate in the EU-U.S. Summit

With EU Council President Herman Van Rompuy, right, and EU Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso

12:45 PM: Participated in the EU-U.S. working lunch

2:10 PM: Participated in a press conference

4:10 PM: Met and greeted with Embassy personnel

4:35 PM: Met with NATO Secretary General Rasmussen

Text of remarks here

5:45 PM: Delivered remarks, Palais Des Beaux Arts (BOZAR)

President Obama sips a cup of hot tea backstage before his speech at the Palais Des Beaux Arts (BOZAR) in Brussels, Belgium, March 26 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Text of remarks here

6:45 PM: Departed Brussels en route Rome

8:40 PM: Arrived Rome

President Obama is greeted by Archbishop Francesco Canalini and Monsignor Jose Avelino Battencourt (L) as he arrives in Rome

229 Responses to “The President’s Day”

1. 1 No Child Left Behind
    March 26, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Could it be?

2. 11 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    March 26, 2014 at 5:57 pm

WATCHING OUR PRESIDENTIAL ENERGIZER BUNNY ARRIVE IN ROME….I DON’T THINK HE KNOWS THE DEFINITION OF ‘JET LAG’…HIS CLOCK KEEPS ON TICKING…GOD LOVE HIM…YOU ARE LOVED PBO…PRAYERS UP FOR YOU FROM HERE!

3. 12 Nena20409
    March 26, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Sweet POTUS of Mine…….a knock off from Guns and Roses.

Excellent Post. Thanks.

4. 14 donna dem 4 obama
    March 26, 2014 at 6:00 pm

Dr. J promoting #GetCoveredNow

March 26, 2014 at 6:05 pm

I cannot believe so many people actually pose with cardboard figures of PBO. :roll:

• 19 Obama Grandmama
      March 26, 2014 at 9:38 pm

I sadly have to say that is me too. When I went to DC from OR for the 2009 Inauguration my daughter bought me a ticket to go to an Inaugural Ball with her the evening after the Inauguration. Sadly we were all dressed up in attendance at the ball only to find out that was not one of the balls PBO was attending. Therefore the cardboard figure became our photo memory pose point. I also attended a rally in 2008 but did not get close enough for a photo.

March 26, 2014 at 10:31 pm

{{OGrandma}}

Your story brings back memories. When I was getting ready to go to the 2013 Inauguration, a friend who discovered I was going referred me to one of his friends who had (access to) tickets for an Inauguration ball that I thought was quite expensive. At least in comparison to other info I had seen re PBO`s balls. Anyways, I checked out the info online before placing an order. Careful reading gave the info that the Obamas, and a couple of other top names, ‘had been invited’. Very blatant false advertising – no way the President was going to be able to take on an outside invitation when his slate was already full.

6. 21 dotster3
    March 26, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Thanks chips for this great summary. I’m sure I’m not the only one who notices that wherever PBO is, all heads are turned toward him, noticed that again in the lunch photo above. He’s the one that all other leaders look to. They respect his views, intellect, leadership—above all others.
    I did listen to PBO’s historic speech today before I raced off (late) for an appt. I saw his future, and it is as global leader. I have no doubts.
    And I may have done one tiny good deed today which I’ll mention——-I got a saleslady to go back to health care dot gov and check again for insurance plans and savings. We were chatting ——and she happened to mention that she didn’t like submitting her soc. sec. # on the site, I reassured that was secure—–then she said she couldn’t see where her premiums would be lower unless she had high deductibles——but she said she hadn’t checked back since she first checked when there were a lot of probs navigating the site. So I told her I knew of many pleased enrollees, that all the kinks had been smoothed out and she should go back and check again. She said she would do just that. I think I convinced her. I think I sold it to the saleslady. :)

March 26, 2014 at 6:12 pm

‘I told her I knew of many pleased enrollees, that all the kinks had been smoothed out and she should go back and check again.’

Way to go Dotster! I like this one-2-one stuff. Hope you run into her again, and she remembers and tells you her success story. :)

• 23 jackiegrumbacher
      March 26, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Good for you, Dotster. Take advantage of every opportunity to make a difference.

• 24 theo67
      March 26, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Excellent!!

7. 25 Nena20409
    March 26, 2014 at 6:07 pm

So when is FLOTUS, Mom, Malia and Natasha coming home? Tomorrow? How I wish they will join POTUS in Rome…..China is not that far off.

Also, I saw a tweet from Eric Bohler(sp) of MediaMatters saying that CBS has Generic poll showing Dems now tied with the GOPers in March…..but was buried on page 15. In CBS’ previous poll, they had TBGOPers 3% points ahead.

Typical Media. They only chase and report whatever ‘bad’ News they can about Dems and by willful omission, ignore bad news for the TBGOPers or they make excuses for them. Not one MSM types has reported that CIR is being held up by Boehner. None has reported that Boehner promised CIR last year and then again this year and yet NOTHING has been done.

March 26, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Nena, I believe FLOTUS, Grandma and the girls are on their way home already. They should be back sometime tonight I think. Or tomorrow. CBS news is full of alot of bull.

March 26, 2014 at 6:32 pm

You know one thing I get tired of is when the media would see pictures of Sasha and Malia in China and they weren’t smiling, They would say things like Obama girls unimpressed with China trip, how do they know that. The only way they would know that is to talk to them. No one smiles all the time, you have the camera in your face 24/7.

March 26, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Yes, there are at least five different “stories” from various media outlets including the NY post and Jezzebel about Sasha’s so-called “disinterest” or being a “cranky teen” as another outlet put it. Mind you, the girl is not yet a teen, and her second-long facial expressions here and there say absolutely nothing about what kind of time she was or wasn’t having. This is just more of the media’s obsession with everything “Obama” and they can’t find anything directly to say about the parents, so they attack them through the child, or their SS detail, or mother-in-law, or First Dogs…..

March 26, 2014 at 7:36 pm

I know hopefruit2,Sasha is a 12 year old girl, a kid and they ought to leave her alone. Like always they manager to miss any pictures of Sasha smiling.

• 30 africa
            March 26, 2014 at 8:12 pm

These old bags need to lay off the president’s daughter.

March 26, 2014 at 8:29 pm

The truth is, they have nothing. They really couldn’t find any fault with this trip. And apparently FLOTUS, the girls and Mrs. Robinson were all very very well-received in China. So the US media just couldn’t stand it. Their boy Bush did not shine on the world stage, and Laura was just not particularly interesting (despite the fact that she may be a very nice, sincere lady).

The Bush daughters were adults when GWB was in office, but they got media attention ONLY when they did things to deserve it – like being drunk in public and acting inappropriately on foreign soil. Their facial expressions were never routinely scrutinized for narrative-building.

• 32 Obama Grandmama
                March 26, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I do remember a photo of one of the Bush girls sticking her tongue out at the photographer from the car’s window.

• 33 jackiegrumbacher
            March 26, 2014 at 9:38 pm

No one, especially not a 12 year old, can smile all the time on ANY trip. It’s despicable to focus a camera on a child on a continual basis and expect her to act like a professional model. You have get pretty low in the mud to pick on a pre-teen like this.

• 34 Nena20409
          March 26, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Again to keep portraying the Obamas as the un-like the rest of ‘Americans’…meaning the 98% who cover the Obamas.
          Fortunately, only those in the Bubble are still buying what the DC/NY media types are selling.

March 26, 2014 at 6:08 pm

/waving madly/ Hello, way up there, NCLB – way to make an entrance! :)

• 36 No Child Left Behind
      March 26, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Hello, hello, VC. I see you! How are you?

March 26, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Great! How are things going with you (I noticed recently) you were back at work)?

• 38 No Child Left Behind
          March 26, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Yes, working 3 days at the office and 2 at home. Today was my working-home day. I feel better, very glad that I am able to go to work. Next in my plan is to buy a car. I’ll be even more mobile.

9. 40 Nena20409
    March 26, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Au for NCLB. Congratulations.

• 41 No Child Left Behind
      March 26, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Thanks Nena. Hello from my laptop. My new acquisition, a tablet, won’t let me post. I have to understand what’s going on.

10. 42 Nena20409
    March 26, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I have completed listening to the speech POTUS gave today.

Wow.

Thank you for posting it.

11. 43 Nena20409
    March 26, 2014 at 6:15 pm

VP Biden has a frozen new discovered ‘planet’ named after him. Wow.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Peering into the far reaches of the solar system, astronomers have spied a pink frozen world 7½ billion miles from the sun.

It’s the second such object to be discovered in a region of space beyond Pluto long considered a celestial wasteland. Until now, the lone known resident in this part of the solar system was an oddball dwarf planet spotted in 2003 named Sedna after the mythological Inuit goddess who created the sea creatures of the Arctic.

12. 45 anniebella
    March 26, 2014 at 6:18 pm

I was waiting in the doctor office today and I came across this article in this magazine, A Family’s Quest for Justice. Wrongfully Executed at 14. 70 years after George Stinney was tired in a single afternoon, convicted of murdering two young white girls, then quickly sent to the electric chair. George Stinney was 14 years old. A young black boy life never have meant anything to some in our society. Trayvon Martin, and that young 17 year old who was killed cause his music was too loud, and so many others who we know nothing about. Stinney’s siblings is fighting for justice for their brother.

13. March 26, 2014 at 6:24 pm
    March 26, 2014 at 6:25 pm

So a few individuals from PBO’s SS detail got drunk and this is Chris Cillizza’s moronic take on it.

15. March 26, 2014 at 6:31 pm

This is a fantastic article on #EuroMaidan

“The EuroMaidan should be considered not a threat to Russia, but rather a threat to Russian autocracy. In January 2012, the well-known Russian intellectual Yuriy Afanasiev, speaking at Kyiv Mohyla Academy, said that Russia’s main problem is not Putin himself, but the autocracy (Putinism) which must be fully terminated. All Russian intellectuals, who spoke from the scene at Euromaidan and commended it for media, are aware of that. Now, participants of opposition meetings in Moscow chant “Bandu Het’!” (Away with the Band!) in Ukrainian. This is in fact an export of democracy, of Ukrainian national and political culture.

The Russian intervention has most clearly displayed the EuroMaidan as an ideological phenomenon. Ukrainians have shown themselves surprisingly united.

Timothy Snyder, one of the most capable Ukraine scholars, was somewhat astounded by this “unification of the unconnectable” (that is, the collaboration of different groups with seemingly opposite ideological orientation and social foundations).

That’s how it was on the Maidan until the regime of Viktor Yanukovych was taken down, so it happened again later, when Russian occupiers invaded Ukrainian territory. These events did not bring on an anti-Russian hysteria. They showed, indeed, that Ukrainians are very diverse but at once united. Now our views are very broad or even universal. Only a mature nation can afford such a display. The occupiers arrived too late.”

16. March 26, 2014 at 6:34 pm
  17. 56 GGail
    March 26, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Looking at the pics posted on this thread, my heart swells with pride and tears come to my eyes because I’m so grateful that this man is our President.

If he comes away from meeting his Holiness the Pope with a Sainthood, I’ll just faint!!!

March 26, 2014 at 7:18 pm

No fainting please. I’m no good in ‘medical’ emergencies. ;) I do understand your point though. :)

• 58 GGail
        March 26, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Hahahaha!!!!

I would not be a bit surprised if he becomes Saint Barack at some point. Might not be in my lifetime….but I’ll know :wink:

March 26, 2014 at 8:02 pm

Isn’t it only catholics who become ‘saints’? PBO is more likely to be knighted by the British – Lord Obama or Sir Obama? Not that I like to sound of either right now, but I guess it would grown on me.

• 60 MightyPamela
            March 26, 2014 at 8:17 pm

This one I DO know, as I had a client who was decorated by the queen.. The person nominated must be a British subject, but of course can be from any of the commonwealth countries, Canada, Australia, NZ, etc. If PBO were to be knighted, the rules would have to be totally bent!

March 26, 2014 at 8:24 pm

That’s something you and I should be able to arrange lickety-split, MP. ;) You keep Bieber and Cruz, Canada takes BHO and shortly thereafter UK knights him. Then we generously lend him back to you.

Seriously, without all that rigmarole, I bet with minimum fuss UK could find a loophole for the Queen to decorate THIS president! :)

• 64 MightyPamela
          March 26, 2014 at 8:13 pm

Maybe not in his lifetime either, as I believe you kinda have to be dead before they bestow sainthood… But I can find out! I have inside connections… Sources, ya kno!

18. 65 dotster3
    March 26, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Repubs were furious that President declared coastal California a protected national monument—–no development, will remain pristine——so House Repubs passed a bill today that President Obama could not declare any other land a national park. We are at the absolute ridiculous stage—–total insanity and insatiable hate by the Republican Party.

• 66 No Child Left Behind
      March 26, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Let’s hope that the GOP crazy bill will not go anywhere as have their 51 bills to repeal the ACA.

• March 26, 2014 at 7:18 pm

That bill is DOA, dotster. It’ll never make it to a vote in the Senate, let alone pass. But, it’s just another object lesson in why the GOP must be crushed on 4 Nov 2014.

• 69 HZ
        March 26, 2014 at 10:26 pm

So true, Bobfr. You are always right to the point. #TOGETHERWEWill. HZ

• 70 theo67
        March 26, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I’d like to know exactly how much money (and government worker time) has been wasted during these five years on bills that have gone nowhere.

19. 71 HZ
    March 26, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Hi TOD family. What do you think about sending some shout outs to: Leader Reid; Senators: Durbin, Schumer, Debbie Stabenow, Patty Murray, and Michael Bennett. Bobfr, Nerdy W., Help please.

Lead by Leader Reid, these Senators gave a great news conference on “A Fair Shot for Everyone.” Leader Reid along with each Senator spoke in a very positive and workable manner about what they have plan for the middle-class on Jobs and the Economy. Leader Reid took questions and his comments and answers to the questions were very good.

As Bobfr always reminds each of us to ” Together We Can’; #FORWARD, #TOGETHER WE CAN, and #TRUSTBARACK. Leader Reid commented briefly to a questions about our holding on to the Senate, and his answer was very positive. Sen. Michael(CO) shared some great news with the caucus earlier and Leader Reid spoke in a positive manner about the status of the Senate races. So let us all put on our marching shoes and get our wallets ready and feet moving for these seats.

None of these are by senators, however, I always feel that we are all in this together, and it helps to let these senators who are doing something good for the people know that we appreciate them on behalf of all of the people. We can give them a shout out and thank them. Let us get to dialing texting, emailing or postcarding. Here are the names and numbers. Thanks TOD family. HZ
    Sen. Reid( NV) (202) 224-3542
    Sen. Bennett(CO) (202) 224-5852
    Sen. Murray (WA)(202) 224-2621
    Sen. Durbin (lL) (202) 224-2152
    Sen. Debbie Stabenow(MI) (202) 224-4822
    Sen. Schumer(NY) (202) 224-6542

• March 26, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Couldn’t agree with you more, HZ. I call these folks offices regularly (and I often call one of their State Offices not just their DC so their staff hear supportive words).

Thank you!!!

#FORWARD Together

20. 73 MightyPamela
    March 26, 2014 at 7:07 pm

44th, just like PBO! Well, except he’s always Number 1 around here! ;)

21. 74 Grab a Mop Grace
    March 26, 2014 at 7:09 pm

These pictures in the Flanders Field Cemetery remind me of the great privilege I had a few years back, of visiting the American Cemetery in Normandy, France. It is a wonder. It overlooks the beaches that our troops landed on, and is magnificent in its perfectly manicured features. It gave me sense of being in Arlington Cemetery certainly, but also a unique feeling of sharing in the history and importance of the sacrifices of our sons on this hallowed ground.
    Thank you for the pictures Chips, and for bringing those memories back to me.

March 26, 2014 at 7:34 pm

My dad and uncle met up on one of those beaches during WWII, so I know what you mean about sacrifices and our shared history.

March 26, 2014 at 7:19 pm

#HopeMeetsPope – I’m so stealing this hashtag!!! :)

23. 79 GGail
    March 26, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I’ll see y’all later….on my way home

March 26, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Thanks, Chips, for this beautiful coverage. I have no idea what Putin’s reaction was to today’s remarkable speech, but I made up this anyway:

There once was a man named Barack
    (Who had Vlad Putin in a lock)
    While speaking in Brussels
    He flexed the world’s muscles
    (And Vlad was too shocked to fight back)

25. 85 Bill R.
    March 26, 2014 at 7:32 pm

I watch RAI- the Italian national television news on the net. So I will try to catch the coverage tomorrow if I can, and the news conference and get that perspective.

26. March 26, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Chips, as usual, you take us along and bring us up close on all of the President’s and the First Family’s overseas trips through the magnificent pictures and videos that you and Nerdy provide. Thank you tremendously…it’s very much appreciated.

March 26, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Amen!

• 88 nathkatun7
      March 27, 2014 at 12:30 am

Yes Indeed! I join you in expressing my deep gratitude to Chipsticks and Nerdy Wonk! I would also include LP and LL, as well as many TOD members who share videos and links. Since I am foreign policy news junkie, I’ve especially appreciated Bobfr’s up to date info, and insightful commentaries, he shares with us on the crisis in Ukraine.

27. 89 Bill R.
    March 26, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Do we have times yet on that schedule for tomorrow.

28. 90 daisydem
    March 26, 2014 at 7:37 pm

I am not Roman Catholic (am Episcopalian) but I am so emotional about our President being in Rome; the picture of the Archbishop and the Monsignor (sp?) meeting him at the airport made me tear up. I don’t know what I will do tomorrow. The tweet above “Hope Meets Pope” is just precious, how uplifting. I just really feel as others do that these two men are so much alike in their compassion for and willingness to serve others. I don’t know how God will feel when he witnesses the presence of these two human beings in his presence tomorrow but I bet he’ll get quite a kick!

29. March 26, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I signed up for health insurance in December and my policy started on January 1st. I did a lot of volunteering to help pass the ACA and at that time my life was very different. I had health insurance and was fortunate to live very comfortably. My life changed dramatically. I became the sole earner in my family, could no longer afford health insurance and lived with constant worry. I have a pre-existing condition so there was no way I could get insured were it not for the ACA. I didn’t know when I was working to pass the ACA that it would turn out to be a godsend for me. This morning I found a lump. I called my doctor and tomorrow I go in for testing. If this had happened before January or without the ACA, I don’t know what would have happened to me. I’m sorry if this is TMI but I think it is important that people realize why we are fighting and why the President is such a champion.

March 26, 2014 at 7:57 pm

First, all the best tomorrow during your test. Please try to keep the same positive attitude you already have shown! Thanks to you and the many others like you who worked to get the ACA passed, millions are benefiting. Thank you.

March 26, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Hope you don’t mind a hug from a stranger – wishing that all goes well tomorrow! {MomSense}

• 100 Mela in TX
      March 26, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Hi MomSense. First off, you will be in my thoughts tomorrow in hopes that all goes well. I was sole provider for my boys for 8 years after my 20 yr marriage fell apart. it was tough but we came through stronger.; I wish you the very best. Many thanks for your ACA advocacy, it helped my sister who was recently able to afford insurance after several years without.

• March 26, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Am so grateful you have coverage and will keep you in my thoughts. Hoping you have the very best possible outcome from the biopsy.

• 103 globalcitizenlinda
      March 26, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Hope the doctor gives you positive news tomorrow and in the future;

thanks for all you do on behalf of Obamacare;

and yes, VP Biden was right, Obamacare is a BFD because at the core of it all, Obamacare is about people like you and me and others who will need it now or in the future;

no doubt in mind how historical and life-saving Obamacare is for so many;

• 104 MightyPamela
      March 26, 2014 at 9:19 pm

{{mom sense}} ~ try to rest tonight, you will know more after the visit tomorrow, until then, try to stay detached. Many blessings.

• 105 otter44
      March 26, 2014 at 9:48 pm

dear mom sense I am in remission for now but have had my ups and downs, If you need any support on your road ahead, please email me. healing thoughts and prayers to you. a piece of advice from a total stranger, you are not your cancer,

• 106 jackiegrumbacher
      March 26, 2014 at 9:50 pm

MomSense, I grateful that ACA was there for you. Let us know how things go tomorrow. Will send positive thoughts and prayers your way.

• 107 theo67
      March 26, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Good luck, MomSense – we’ll all be thinking good thoughts for you. Thank you for sharing your story. This is the real point of having affordable care available to everyone – nobody knows when their circumstances will change, and they shouldn’t have to worry that they won’t be able to afford the care they need. Good luck!

• 108 nathkatun7
      March 27, 2014 at 12:38 am

I hope the the tests turn out negative! But I am so happy you have insurance coverage now. Wishing you all the best tomorrow!

• March 26, 2014 at 8:13 pm

HA!…love that hashtag!!!!

• 111 dotster3
      March 26, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Will not be my fave part of the trip. I don’t think any U.S. president, or any country’s leader, should be meeting with any religious leader. Religion needs to be kept completely separate and far away from any influence on our government—–or any involvement whatsoever. And it’s not that I don’t appreciate this pope’s statements on poverty and income equality—–he seems to be a much better pope, compared to past popes, more in tune with “the people”. But still—–represents restrictive Catholic religious doctrine——when he said, “Who am I to judge?” about gay people, it caused a huge panic in the Catholic hierarchy ——-had to issue a statement that said he was not about changing any Catholic doctrine—–still anti-choice, anti-contraception, anti-gay——etc., just nicer about how he talks about it. Also has done nothing about the sex abuse which has been so pervasive in that religion—unbelievably——still protecting priests and bishops and obstructing investigations. So not happy about the whole thing. I imagine PBO and the pope will have a meeting of the minds about the few issues where they agree—-and leave all the other ugliness alone and unsaid. I just don’t get why this has to happen at all.

30. 112 susanne
    March 26, 2014 at 7:59 pm

wow. have you folks seen this? clearly, this is why we are so fortunate to have tod here, posting real news, all day every day.

‘ It’s great to see TV news hosts actually, you know, do their job. Mika Brzezinski is ace here:

a) She calls out her co-host for his ratings-driven speculative theories about the Malaysian missing plane by pulling the focus back onto *real* news and facts the public needs to hear. But also… ‘ (very short intro to a very powerful video clip)

31. March 26, 2014 at 8:00 pm
  32. March 26, 2014 at 8:05 pm

Thank you Chips and NerdyW for overtime coverage of our POTUS and FLOTUS world travels this week.

Hopefruit nails it on the head when she says there’s pretty much a media blackout of our President’s far-flung overseas trip. The prime time MSNBC shows have provided soundbite coverage this week (don’t know about Chris Hayes because I can’t bear to watch him).

Spectacular, round-the-clock coverage of both trips.

Thank you Chips for having such a big heart, talent and humor to start this blog.

Thank you NW for accepting the challenge of keeping insatiable TODville up-to-date, and for your spot on tweets of PBO’s speeches. Such talent, dedicated and ability to distill remarks down to their essence.

Love all the coverage this week, and always.

33. March 26, 2014 at 8:11 pm

Reality ….

And, remember everyone, President Obama and the ‘Coalition of the Smart’(tm) haven’t even begun to crank the ratchet ….

#TrustBarack

Yes We Can

• March 26, 2014 at 8:40 pm

TzarVlad fellow kleptocrats must be totally delighted ….

…. NOT.

And, President Obama is leading efforts to supply both Europe and Ukraine with liquid natural gas. Russia’s most significant export may well become its national beverage ….

March 26, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Bobfr, that EU-US news conference this morning was a joy for me. All speakers exuded a calm confidence that I found reassuring. Putin may have annexed Cremea, but it now seems clear to me that his action has triggered, or caused to speed up, a step he cannot now revoke. The leaders seemed, with PBO’s leadership, determined to loosen Russia’s grip on Europe’s energy supply. Your ‘friend’, Tzar Vlad has apparently miscalculated and bitten off more than he intended. :) :)

• March 26, 2014 at 9:01 pm

“The leaders seemed, with PBO’s leadership, determined to loosen Russia’s grip on Europe’s energy supply.”

Yes, VC!!! One of the many ‘unintended consequences’ that Tzar Vlad, if he had thought about his actions strategically, would have realized would have been among the very first actions that Ukraine and the EU would take. Ironically, it plays directly to President Obama’s massive efforts to create a ‘green energy economy’ and all that that entails.

I’m lovin ‘soft power’ :)

March 26, 2014 at 9:12 pm

” I’m lovin ‘soft power’ ”

Me too! I watched those men this morning almost bristling with purpose and listened to them confidently piggy-backing on each other’s comments and I was proud of them , AND so much more proud of PBO. IMO, PBO was realizing a part of his vision in repositioning USA in the world. I liked the way he talked about others not abandoning their military responsibilities, of actual size not really being the main criteria in this world PARTNERSHIP. In fact, I believe the President painted a very clear, unambiguous picture of how he sees the partnership working effectively. If the idjiit supporters of American exceptionalism really listened this morning, I’m betting they are screeching.

• March 26, 2014 at 9:19 pm

VC, I have zero doubt that the #NEOCONSTERS are grinding their teeth to the jaw bone! What we’ve witnessed in the past three days is the OBAMA DOCTRINE in full implementation mode and the majority of the world’s leaders embracing it. That Noble Committee knew what it was doing.

• March 26, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Yes, it is a ‘noble’ committee that NOBEL Committee :)

March 26, 2014 at 9:49 pm

;) ;) /whispering ’cause I’m being a bit fanciful / There are times I wonder if PBO isn’t the epitome of a divine mandate, born precisely ‘for such a time as this’. He just seems so, so suited (in words, manner and philosophy) to solving so many problems around the world. And it’s like others have been ‘placed’ in positions around the world to better showcase the rightness of PBO’s position and leadership. I mean, the entire world acknowledges his leadership by welcoming him warmly wherever he goes. The children of the world acknowledge his leadership by openly loving him and communicating warmly with him even when they haven’t yet learned to speak a world language. I mean, every living creature knows it (ex: Bo and Sunny)….even the RWNJs and MSM pundits – that’s why they attack. /Sorry. Never meant to get carried away to fanciful land. Fingers kept going once I started. :)

• March 26, 2014 at 10:19 pm

What is so fascinating about your ‘fancifal land’ VC is that it is the verifiable reality in which we have witnessed Barack Obama’s DEEDS long before, as well as, during his Presidency.

President Obama is the simple lesson plan for every single person alive today and whom will ever exist. No matter who you are — Imagine it and then do it.

• 133 Lynn
                    March 27, 2014 at 1:25 am

It’s 1;20 AM and I was having EXACTLY this thought as I came across your comment. I don’t think you are being the least fanciful.

• 135 nathkatun7
          March 27, 2014 at 12:53 am

Great comment, VC! I got the same impression! All three leaders were United and determined to punish Russia, even if it meant some sacrifices, for violating International Law and Civilized behavior!

March 27, 2014 at 7:55 am

Hello there west coaster! We ARE undoubtedly living in perilous, yet WONDERFULLY HOPEFUL times IMO. Happy TOD Thursday to you when you surface again! :)

34. 137 anniebella
    March 26, 2014 at 8:20 pm

Republican G.W. Bush extended the sign-up for the Medicare Prescription Drug Plan 7 month, and neither that sorry ass speaker John Boehner or any other Republican had a word to say against it. POTUS is extending the ACA sign up till middle of April, not 7 months. I don’t know about anyone else but I am tired of these sick ass racists Republicans.

• 138 nospin
      March 26, 2014 at 8:27 pm

anniebella – I don’t mind the GOP weeping and gnashing of teeth because extending the deadline means more people are covered with health insurance. Besides, my understanding is the extension is in place to ensure folks who are already in the process of registering for ACA can complete the process. Although it would not matter to me if they would allow new registrants after the fact.

They can get upset but it does not change the bottom line and that is a beautiful thing. :-)

35. 146 forus50
    March 26, 2014 at 8:24 pm

While this Pope has done much to right the wrong, the Catholic Church as an institution is sickening. It alone has been one of the main reasons why women in this century around the world are considered second class citizens; everything the Church espouses is about blind obedience to whatever comes out of the mouths of a man on an altar in a long robe. Hence, woman and children are victimized for centuries throughout the world by the sick doctrine of this religion. You might think I’m not a “fallen away” Catholic but I’m actually a “run as fast as you can away” Catholic. So I’m happy for POTUS that he gets to meet a man who seems to share the same values but as for the cardinals and the rest of the bunch there in Rome…well let’s just leave that unsaid.

March 26, 2014 at 8:25 pm
  37. March 26, 2014 at 8:45 pm
    • 151 Nena20409
      March 26, 2014 at 8:51 pm

:lol: at least the dog is big enough that he/she is not likely to fall through any of the holes.
      He/She is in tip top shape ;)

• 152 forus50
      March 26, 2014 at 9:23 pm

That is so hilarious. The pissed off growling cracks me up.

• 154 mtmarilyn
      March 26, 2014 at 9:45 pm

My husband is a very good pool player. This was a hit with him. Thanks for the smile!!!!

• 157 nathkatun7
      March 27, 2014 at 2:34 am

This is absolutely hilarious, Chipsticks! That puppy seems to be absolutely serious! He/she seems determined to put that solid red ball in the corner pocket. I love playing pool (Billiards). I was actually quite good at it when I was young and my eye-hand coordination was still very good. Nowadays, however, it’s tough to play while wearing progressive (bi-focal) eye glasses. And if I take my glasses off then I start seeing blurs of everything on the pool table.

• 158 amk for obama
      March 27, 2014 at 2:43 am

lol. love it how he concentrates one ball at a time ignoring all the others on the table.

38. 159 Nena20409
    March 26, 2014 at 8:46 pm

In a stunning ruling that could revolutionize a college sports industry worth billions of dollars and have dramatic repercussions at schools coast to coast, a federal agency said Wednesday that football players at Northwestern University can create the nation’s first union of college athletes.

The decision by a regional director of the National Labor Relations Board answered the question at the heart of the debate over the unionization bid: Are football players who receive full scholarships to the Big Ten school considered employees under federal law, thereby allowing them to unionize?

Peter Sung Ohr, the NLRB regional director, said in a 24-page decision that the players “fall squarely” within the broad definition of employee.

Pro-union activists cheered as they learned of the ruling.

39. 160 forus50
    March 26, 2014 at 8:52 pm

Wow, this is a major slam from Paul Krugman about little Nate Silver’s climate change denying website. Good short read.

March 26, 2014 at 8:54 pm
    • 162 Nena20409
      March 26, 2014 at 9:01 pm

It warms my heart that both Romneys thought it was THEIR Turn.
      Today :lol: :roll: :lol: , they can’t cope with their total failure…….15 months later. :lol:
      L O S E R in the worst way. The man on Nov 6th, 2012 refused initially to concede to president Obama. It took until almost 1hr and almost 45 mins before Romney conceded.

March 26, 2014 at 9:16 pm

He’s just coming around, methinks, to lifting his head up from under the blankie in the morning. :)

41. 164 carolyn
    March 26, 2014 at 8:55 pm

Today was another wonderful day with our President. As someone said up post, wherever he is, all eyes are on him. Yes, I said yesterday, wherever he sits is the head of the table. No one on this great green earth has the personal power and integrity to bring as many disparate people together as he has this week. I have no doubt that if Europe could, they would elect him president of the EU by acclamation! They’re smart.
    One place I’ve wanted to visit is Flanders Field……like many others my age, I memorized that poem in grade school. I’m glad to see pictures of it.

Several years ago on a trip to France with friends, we toured a WWI battlefield in northern France. We were told that every day people go out with weapons detectors, because there is still unexploded ordnance in the ground, and almost every day, some are detected and disarmed, seventy years later. I thought of that today when I knew POTUS was visiting Flanders.
    A history professor colleague was with us on that trip, and he said Europe still has not recovered totally from WWI. Their losses were almost incomprehensible for their populations. They still call it the Great War……then twenty years later along came WWII. This is the one we remember.

42. 166 dotster3
    March 26, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Not a good start for the mayor of Charlotte, N.C.—–in office 6 mo., arrested by the FBI for taking bribes.
    Weed out the corrupt ones, whomever and wherever.

43. 171 kid kanga
    March 26, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Just had to de-lurk to say thank you for such a great photo diary and news of our pres abroad! not going to get that on the MSM around these parts. Thanks also to you hard working OFA people as well for what you do. the pres. was speaking the truth in brussels today like only he can, one can only hope those who need to listen the most do so.

• March 26, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Welcome kid kanga!!!! Yep, TOD is a fine place and OFA is the most important and potent ‘grass roots’ organization ever. No surprise given who the ‘community organizer’ is :)

• 173 nospin
      March 26, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Hi Kid Kanga. I hope you delurk more often. :-) Chips is the best at capturing the essence of the overseas visits by POTUS, FLOTUS etc. She is amazing and so are the blog tyrants.

44. 174 mtmarilyn
    March 26, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I have had a long full day and I am exhausted, but this President has unlimited energy. I don’t know how he does it. Love all the pictures. Can’t wait till tomorrow. It is another long day for me so I will be seeing them tomorrow evening. Know that there will be full coverage here. Thank you all for your part.

45. 175 Mela in TX
    March 26, 2014 at 9:12 pm

TOD has become my preferred source for all news. I love the photos, the links, the commentary but most of all I love the people….and Dannystix, of course. The first thing I did when I got home from work was watch the video of the Brussels speech. After reading all the comments and tweets I could not wait a second longer. So proud he is POTUS!

46. March 26, 2014 at 9:14 pm

History matters …

“This establishment has to learn from the experiences of analogous structures called National Memory Institutes in other post-communist countries of Central and Eastern Europe. Firstly, they work with special service archives. This is important, as they reveal the real situation during the reign of a totalitarian regime, particularly regarding its operations and, ultimately, as a safeguard against repeating the crimes of totalitarianism today. Secondly, Memory Institutes conduct informational and educational work, namely delivering the results of academic studies to wider audiences, since our society needs to fundamentally overcome the totalitarian past. Thirdly, they work with places of remembrance. These are monuments, museums, and graves of the people who fought for the independence of Ukraine. Also, Ukraine faces the particular challenge of combating the traces of totalitarian nomenclature—names from the Communist regime commemorated in the names of streets, cities, and villages. The solution could be to dismantle the monuments of the totalitarian era and perhaps create specialized museums to preserve the totalitarian period.

Another important focus for these institutions is the question of history textbooks. For the overwhelming majority of people, a history textbook is the only history book they will ever read. Unfortunately, current textbooks were heavily modified by former Education Minister Dmytro Tabachnik, who removed information about the Ukrainian national liberation movement and the activities of different organizations that fought the Communist regime.

Given the current situation in Ukraine, it is critical to do work in the area of explaining human rights—why we should talk about them, why they should be protected. We have to show what happens to society when human rights are neglected.

I hope that the government understands the necessity of supporting such an initiative. They came to power in the wake of protests against authoritarianism, and the government should support their society’s prevailing sentiment. Moreover, we see that a wave of spontaneous de-Sovietization has started already—Lenin monuments are falling across the country, people are renaming streets and getting rid of individual and communal totalitarian consciousness. The issue of de-Sovietization is not one of humanitarian policy anymore, but one of the national security of Ukraine.”

To get the Memory Institute back

47. 185 globalcitizenlinda
    March 26, 2014 at 9:20 pm
  48. 186 globalcitizenlinda
    March 26, 2014 at 9:25 pm
  49. March 26, 2014 at 9:31 pm
  50. March 26, 2014 at 9:39 pm

New post in 12 minutes, 16 seconds. Ish.

51. March 26, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I’m just lovin ‘soft power’ …..

#TrustBarack …. or be prepared to get OBAMA’d :)

March 26, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Evening, Bobfr…have you read Smartypants piece on the power of partnership vs the power of domination?? Check my link below…wonderful read

• March 26, 2014 at 9:45 pm

No, df. Haven’t read it. Will do so later this evening. Thank you!

March 26, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Wonderful. It goes to what the conversation has been….absolutely fascinating man.

• March 26, 2014 at 10:13 pm

df, I agree with this assessment …

“I believe this is one of the most important speeches of Obama’s presidency. For me it ranks right up there with his speech on race as well as the one’s he gave in Cairo and Copenhagen. He is doing all he can to prod and inspire us as individuals, as a country and as a global community to leave behind the antiquated ideas about dominance and find our success in the power of partnership.”

However, I would add his speech at the National Defense University & to both Houses of Parliament to that list.

March 26, 2014 at 9:42 pm

She does it once again!

Today the President began his speech in Brussels with a history lesson on the power of partnership vs the power of domination.
    Throughout human history, societies have grappled with the question of how to organize themselves – the proper relationship between the individual and the state; and the best means to resolve inevitable conflicts between states. And it was here in Europe, through centuries of struggle—through war and Enlightenment, repression and revolution—that a particular set of ideals began to emerge. The belief that through conscience and free will, each of us has the right to live as we choose. The belief that power is derived from the consent of the governed, and that laws and institutions should be established to protect that understanding. Those ideas eventually inspired a band of colonists across an ocean, and they wrote them into the Founding documents that still guide America today, including the simple truth that all men—and women—are created equal.

More here:

March 26, 2014 at 9:42 pm
  54. 201 Mela in TX (@bluetexasmoon)
    March 26, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I have edited my user name to include my twitter handle for the sake of recognition on Twitter. I’ve had to re-introduce myself over there a few times.
    On another note, I decided to pop in over at the old constantly outraged orange place. One word and that is yuck.

55. 203 Mela in TX
    March 26, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Help, I edited my user name to include my twitter handle and I have a comment stuck in moderation :(

March 26, 2014 at 9:46 pm

photo/1

March 26, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Male university students in North Korea are now required to get the same haircut as their leader Kim Jong-un, it is reported.

The state-sanctioned guideline was introduced in the capital Pyongyang about two weeks ago, Radio Free Asia reports. It is now being rolled out across the country – although some people have expressed reservations about getting the look.

“Our leader’s haircut is very particular, if you will,” one source tells Radio Free Asia. “It doesn’t always go with everyone since everyone has different face and head shapes.” Meanwhile, a North Korean now living in China says the look is actually unpopular at home because people think it resembles Chinese smugglers. “Until the mid-2000s, we called it the ‘Chinese smuggler haircut’,” the Korea Times reports.

58. March 26, 2014 at 9:53 pm

26 March 2014 will long be recognized as a transformational moment in global history.

#TrustBarack

March 26, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Love it, Bob! One of the finest speeches, with a global outreach, I’ve heard him – or anyone else – ever give.

• March 26, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Agree, Jacqueline. Today’s speech will move him firmly into the Class of Lincoln, Churchill & FDR.

March 26, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Also love how he knows it, when it’s a “good speech.” You can see it, in his delivery. Think he even made that comment about his speech back at the ’04 convention, didn’t he? Ha.

Love that man!

• 212 jackiegrumbacher
      March 26, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Bob, this is actually a perfect tweet. To define a moment in history and succinctly summarize its significance is twitter at its finest. Should be an example in a master class on twitter authorship.

• 213 Lovepolitics2008
      March 26, 2014 at 10:37 pm

Oh yes, what a speech. Again. Every time he speaks like that, I’m just floored. His brilliance, his vision, his wisdom. The profound understanding of history. His big heart, his courage, his patience. Everything. Like Jim Stewart said, he operates at a very high level of consciousness/moral development. And he is RIGHT. On everything. He always makes perfect sense.

He’s no ordinary president. No ordinary statesman. One of the best LEADERS the world has ever seen.

Putin is a neanderthal compared to him. Sadly, a big part of the political class and the media people in the USA are so shallow and so unsophisticated they don’t see the TREASURE that is Barack Obama.

March 26, 2014 at 10:04 pm
    March 26, 2014 at 10:09 pm
    March 26, 2014 at 10:10 pm
    March 26, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Any update on the hobby lobby case?

March 26, 2014 at 10:26 pm
  64. 228 Nena20409
    March 26, 2014 at 10:35 pm

The World Trade Organization backed the U.S. in a dispute with China, agreeing that limits on exports of so-called rare-earth elements used in products such as hybrid-car batteries and wind turbines violate trade rules.

A dispute-settlement panel at the Geneva-based trade arbiter today determined that China, the world’s largest producer of the minerals, didn’t adequately justify imposing export duties and quotas on the goods, as well as the elements tungsten and molybdenum.

China’s export limits “have been putting American manufacturers at a disadvantage and preventing full and fair competition,” U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman told reporters today on a conference call.

65. 229 HZ
    March 26, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Mom Sense, may you appointment for tomorrow be success and good news for you. Keep your space filled with as much calmness as you can carry. I will remember you in my prayers and meditations. May you have a relaxing evening. HZ