Mar

Thursday: The President in Italy

Thursday – all times US Eastern

5:30 AM: President Obama has an audience with Pope Francis, The Vatican

Not sure if there’ll be live streaming of the meeting, try White House Live and this Italian channel which the wondrous JER found for us earlier

7:25 AM: Participates in a bilateral meeting with President Giorgio Napolitano of Italy, Quirinal Palace, Rome

9:25 AM: Participates in a bilateral meeting with Prime Minister Matteo Renzi of Italy, Villa Madama, Rome

10:35 AM: Holds a joint press conference with Prime Minister Matteo

11:40 AM: Tours the Colosseum

In the evening, President Obama meets with employees and families of the U.S. Tri-Mission to Italy, the Holy See, and the UN Agencies in Rome

174 Responses to “Thursday: The President in Italy”

1. March 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm

With today’s address to the world, President Obama entered the Class of Lincoln, Churchill & FDR.

#TrustBarack

Yes We Can

• 2 MightyPamela
      March 26, 2014 at 10:32 pm

So. He is writing and speaking the history of the 21st Century. As God and we witness, there is no going back.

• 4 Dudette
      March 26, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Twitter King Bob!
      Damn you’re good! Awesome tweet!

• March 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm

You’re way too kind, Dudette.

Here’s something I’m grateful to you for sharing many moons ago …

… off to the kitchen to prepare some dinner.

Forever grateful to have shared the Age of Obama with all of you.

• 6 Dudette
          March 26, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Thanks so much Bob! I needed that after this long stressful day at work! :-)

I too am immensely grateful to share this journey though history witnessing our wonderful President! Thanks again to our amazing docents, Chips, Nerdy Wonka, Liberal Librarian and the rest of the Blog Tyrants!

• March 26, 2014 at 10:36 pm

#FORWARD and Congrats Bob. Just taught hubby how to leave a comment. We’ll see how good a teacher I am in the morning. Might be an update somewhere between 10 – 11am MST. Please don’t block me bts because of what he says. ;) I noticed I missed a tweet of Danny. Must go back to see. :) Sounds like our POTUS and FLOTUS and family are making a GREAT impression on the World!
      I’m off to put in drops and more drops in my eyes. :cool: O_o

• 21 nathkatun7
      March 26, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Yes Indeed, Bob! That was a truly magnificent speech! It was strong, confident, honest and, as you said, it presented ” a cogent, empathetic & pragmatic 21st Century framework.” Sadly, a great many Americans, and especially young people, will probably never get a chance to see and listen to entire speech because of the media filters. Despite the increasing diffusion of news/information sources, the reality is that a great many Americans still depend on the unethical corporate media for news and information.

• March 27, 2014 at 12:44 am

Thank you nath. My hope and efforts are focused on being sure that as many people as possible access YouTube videos and other primary resources. Thanks to Twitter, infecting very large numbers of folk with the facts, superbly presented by President Obama, is a powerful tool that we all must leverage, maximally.

#FORWARD Together

March 26, 2014 at 10:27 pm
    March 26, 2014 at 10:28 pm

It’s the friggin’ ears, I tellz ya.

4. 49 No Child Left Behind
    March 26, 2014 at 10:29 pm

Congrats Bob.

5. March 26, 2014 at 10:30 pm

From Nytimes Beijing reporter on Flotus’s trip up until yesterday http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/26/world/asia/michelle-obama-mixes-some-politics-into-china-trip.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-thecaucus

6. March 26, 2014 at 10:30 pm

So one of my favorite patrons came in today. Her name is Dina, and we volunteered together for Obama in 2012. She’s Russian. She asked me how I was doing, and when I asked her how she was doing, she said “Fine, except for what my former country is doing”. She completely sees the groundwork PBO is laying down to eviscerate Putin. She told me that in Russia Putin was now referred to as “Putler”. She gave me a website—which I will have to ask her for again—based in Russia which has the most scabrous cartoons of Tsar Vladimir.

However, she also has Russian friends here, and according to her they’ve drunk the Putin koolaid. She was just aghast when she related what they said to her. There is a class of Russian who supports Putin. Hopefully they’re not in the majority.

7. 52 Dudette
    March 26, 2014 at 10:33 pm

Greetings Good People of Earth! :-)

March 26, 2014 at 10:35 pm
    March 26, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Field Marshal Abdul Fattah al-Sisi announces he is resigning as Egypt’s military chief in order to stand for the presidency.

same old, same old.

10. March 26, 2014 at 10:38 pm

I hope they don’t make this only exclusive to mobile devices, but a cool new feature twitter is rolling out…….

Ok, gotta finish watching the last 5minutes of the Pacers/Heat game…….

11. 64 Bill R.
    March 26, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Thanks for posting the schedule in Rome, Chips, and thank you also for posting a video of the foreign policy speech. It will go down in history as a hallmark speech of our President, showing his grasp of the historical moment we are in, and the wisdom and intelligence he brings to it as leader of the free world.

12. 78 pickle48
    March 26, 2014 at 10:46 pm

The Crab-Bucket Phenomenon

According to an old saw, if you put crabs in a bucket and one tries to climb out, the others will try to pull it back down.

The U.S. corporate media… a bucket of crabs?

13. March 26, 2014 at 10:47 pm

I’m so proud of our President and SOS Kerry. ♥

March 26, 2014 at 11:00 pm
    March 26, 2014 at 11:11 pm

And I am outta here.

16. 95 Dudette
    March 26, 2014 at 11:15 pm
    March 26, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Our President has the Best.Smile.Evah.

18. 100 Dudette
    March 26, 2014 at 11:22 pm

:-D. :-D. :-D

OMG! I’m all tingly!!!!

19. 106 Cindy
    March 26, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Good evening TOD,

Did anyone see Up With Chris Hayes? I just got in, and some woman (Jennifer somebody) was outtalking him; against ACA, telling him that women are being forced to insure their children and they don’t want the insurance. She was loud and screaming and all kind of crap flying from her mouth.

I don’t know who she is but she was very vociferous and filled with venom against the ACA. When you don’t have anyone to combat that kind of craziness; no wonder there is so much confusion. She is someone who can definitely scare the crap out of people with lies about Obamacare. Chris could not outtalk this woman, as she raised her voice to the roof top.

Once again, the impression is that President Obama is lying to the people and hurting women. I could not finish watching it-the woman was crazy. The repukes never have trouble finding the loud mouths who can outtalk anyone, and make their lies sound like truths. It was horrible.

Of course FOX is going crazy because of the ACA extension.

These people are capable of driving a temporarily crazy man/woman, permanently insane, if there is such a thing. YIKES!

March 26, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Bernie Sanders is trying to start some trouble….

March 26, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Hey Chips, your PBO & Pope stuff is being utilized on Twitter :) :)

22. 125 Mela in TX (@bluetexasmoon)
    March 26, 2014 at 11:36 pm

I can’t wait to see pics of POTUS in Rome! I visited a few years ago and fell in love with the city although I got the heeby-jeebies walking through the Colosseum, Walking through ancient archways, treading on worn stones and remembering the atrocities as well as the flamboyant spectacles performed there was humbling and I was overcome. It was a very profound experience.

March 26, 2014 at 11:48 pm

so, the loony left giving a public platform for the loony right. what else is new?

March 26, 2014 at 11:49 pm
    • 133 Bill R.
      March 27, 2014 at 5:33 am

Cover Oregon has been granted a 30 day extension to do enrollments because of their technical difficulties.

25. 134 Dudette
    March 26, 2014 at 11:50 pm

You do know My President is a
    Trekkie, right?

26. 135 HZ
    March 26, 2014 at 11:50 pm

So many wonderful gems to place in our beautiful spaces for this beautiful 44th President of these United States. The world was greeted by an angel of knowledge, grace, compassion, visionary hopes to look forward to, and many treasures of greatness from our president. A President Came To Speak To Our Hearts Today. Another moment in history that will stay with us for generations to come, I do believe..

Thank you so much dear Chips for making this visit possible by having this space here for us to sit back and take it all in quietly and peacefully. Without your dedicated love for this president ;, I do not know how we would be able to keep such a beautiful family together to enjoy these important moments in our history of this great man, President Barack Obama. My heart is full of joy and gratefulness to you personally, Chips.

You give us so much to be so grateful for during this period in our world. The Obama era. If your kindness could be anymore than it already is; my heart would burst wide open as would our entire TOD family, I do believe. But that would be a good thing because others would be able to continue to see how such a wonderful and decent man inspired you, our beloved Chips to make this place such a beautiful haven. It is such a joy to be able to have a space to enjoy with beautiful minds a beautiful soul as you have, Chips. I know President Obama is so grateful.

May continued joys and beautiful blessings enter into your space with much sweetness as you enter into ours each day we come here, Chips.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Thank you, my love for all that you do with your gifted contributors}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}HZ

27. 136 Dudette
    March 26, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Oh yeh, some of people had their birthday today too

March 26, 2014 at 11:53 pm
    March 26, 2014 at 11:54 pm
  30. March 26, 2014 at 11:55 pm

All right, dear friends, I’m off. See everyone at some point tomorrow.

31. 142 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 12:01 am

Back to those other people in a moment. We need more Nimoy! Don’t we?

Yes we do! :-D

March 27, 2014 at 12:02 am

Paula Poundstone’s tweet reminds me … had on Hardball for a few minutes today, and actually hear Chris The Spitter Matthews say – about Rumsfeld – something like, “He needs to go home and go to bed.” Pot meet kettle.

33. 145 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 12:07 am

I think March 24 should be a global
    holiday since it’s right between Captain Kirk’s birthday (Mar 22) and Spock’s birthday (Mar 26). Kinda like President’s Day, only sexy trekkier! :-D

34. 146 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 12:20 am

P

35. 147 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 12:25 am

Last bit of trekdom

March 27, 2014 at 12:35 am
  37. 149 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 12:40 am

Okay so I lied.
    Forgot hit you with these :-D

Okay trek party’s over. :-(
    But there are still other birtjdays to
    celebrate! Will those for the next thread :-D

38. March 27, 2014 at 12:59 am

good night TOD …

39. 152 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 1:24 am

In honor of the President’s visit to Rome, I’ll leave you with a little jazz from Italian guitar legend Franco Cerri. Goodnight!

40. 154 Cindy
    March 27, 2014 at 1:57 am

Morning amk for Obama,
    That is the crazy lady that I saw. She is a nut case. I didn’t know what was going on – so I was trying to see what happened and she blew a gasket.

Thanks for finding it and I glad to know that twitter is letting her have it. What a screwball Sara Palin part 2.

41. 155 susanne
    March 27, 2014 at 2:06 am

i finally got to see and hear president obama’s speech in belgium. wow! once again, i am stunned by his apt analysis, his intelligence, humanity, and persuasion. he is out ahead of history, out ahead of political science, and shining a big light on the future of the people on this planet. thanks to tod, all this vital news is available.
    let me say that again: THANK YOU OBAMA DIARY!!!!!!!! :)

42. 156 Cindy
    March 27, 2014 at 2:27 am

Good morning susanne,

President Obama is truly a gift to the world. His light is shining bright, and I pray that the dark places will light up, and believe in hope and change.

43. 157 Bill R.
    March 27, 2014 at 4:50 am

I’m up late here on the West Coast watching the RAI, the national Italian News Network. They have intensive and enthusiastic moment to moment coverage of the visit of Pres. Obama. They are waiting with great anticipation for his appearance from his place of lodging to take the motorcade to the Vatican to meet with Papa Francesco. I do speak and understand Italian so it’s nice to hear it first hand. The commentary is all very upbeat and you can tell that all the top leadership in the country is anxious to be seen with the President.

44. 158 Bill R.
    March 27, 2014 at 5:23 am

Just watched the arrival of the President and his motorcade at the Vatican. Great formality and dignity. And great enthusiasm from the Italian press and dignitaries. A long line of the Swiss Guard in full regalia. Great respect given to our president.

45. 160 Bill R.
    March 27, 2014 at 5:31 am

Very warm meeting between our President and Papa Francesco. Smiles and relaxed conversation. They were joined by two interpreters, a female interpreter for our President and a male Monsignor interpreter for Papa Francesco.

46. 163 anniebella
    March 27, 2014 at 5:31 am

CNN suppose to cover the meeting between the Pope and the President. I heard that this morning, but I think I will check it out somewhere else. I did not like it when Christine Romans of CNN made it her business to tell us that one of the men had approval in the eighties and one in the forties. So I sent her a email and asked her what was the purpose of that little bit of information. Barack Obama is the President of the Untied States, and he still has lots of support, despite what your fix polls says. I watch the Pope and President meet and shake hands, and I did not watch it on CNN.

• 164 COS
      March 27, 2014 at 5:36 am

MSNBC is covering it anniebella.

• 166 Linda
      March 27, 2014 at 7:06 am

The NBC poll has the Pope at 55 %. Go figure….

The media makes all things political……

Nicole Wallace bragged that Bush met with the previous Pope 6 times and was influenced by him when making his decision of stem cell research.

I guess we are supposed to be impressed that the Butcher of Bagdad snuggled with the Cover Up of Pedofile’s Pope.

47. 168 Nerdy Wonka
    March 27, 2014 at 5:35 am
  48. 169 anniebella
    March 27, 2014 at 5:44 am

There is talk of the Pope coming to America in 2015. Oh how I wish he could come sooner like this fall, and make a stop at the White House.

March 27, 2014 at 7:01 am