Mar

6 Million People!….Thank You ObamaCare

BjwSHM4CAAE1J9O.jpg-large

HHS.Gov: 6 Million And Counting!

As this historic open enrollment period enters its final days, more than 6 million Americans have signed up for coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplaces since October 1, thanks to the Affordable Care Act. Those looking to get covered before the March 31st deadline still have time by visiting HealthCare.gov or by phone at 1-800-318-2596/TTY 1-855-889-4325. You can also find help in your community at localhelp.healthcare.gov.

Many of these more than 6 million Americans are sharing their stories of finding a new way to get quality, affordable health coverage through the Federal and State-based Marketplaces. A nonprofit worker from New Jersey, a theater artist from Chicago, IL, and an opera singer from Austin, TX are all among the millions of Americans now enjoying the peace of mind and security that comes with quality, affordable health coverage.

More here

Think Progress: BREAKING: Obamacare Enrollment Tops 6 Million

On Thursday, President Obama announced on a call with volunteers that the number of Americans who have enrolled in health insurance plans under Obamacare has hit six million. With several days left to go before open enrollment ends on March 31, the administration has met its target. The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that Obamacare enrollment would hit six million by the end of its enrollment period. Although the CBO initially projected a seven million enrollment figure, that number was revised down after technological issues plagued the insurance marketplaces’ websites this past fall.

Just ten days ago, the Obama administration announced that enrollments had hit five million — meaning that the pace of enrollment has significantly picked up recently, and a million Americans enrolled in less than two weeks. The White House has always anticipated a last-minute surge in enrollment, since previous efforts to enroll Americans in government-run health care programs have demonstrated that people typically wait until the last minute to sign up.

More here

Steve Benen: ACA Enrollment Tops 6 Million

The expectation all along was that health care enrollment through the Affordable Care Act would spike shortly before the March 31 deadline. As of this afternoon, those expectations are very much in line with reality. Remember, this total only refers to consumers who’ve signed up for private coverage through exchange marketplaces. It doesn’t include Americans who’ve gained coverage through Medicaid expansion. For that matter, clearing the 6-million milestone is an important threshold, but there’s still time remaining in the open-enrollment period and it’s not unrealistic to think we’ll see 6.2 million by next week.

It’s easy to forget, but this seemed like a pipe dream last fall. In October, the first month of the open-enrollment period, just 106,185 consumers signed up for insurance through an exchange – causing Republicans to not only celebrate, but to openly mock the system by noting a variety of sports venues that hold more than 106,185 attendees.It was obviously proof, we were told at the time, that the Affordable Care Act itself was “hurtling toward failure.” Oops.

More here

2hwpmkg.jpg

Jonathan Cohn: Obamacare Enrollment Surge: More Than 6 Million Have Signed Up

More than 6 million Americans have bought private insurance through the Affordable Care Act’s new marketplaces, the Administration announced on Thursday. And it appears that people are signing up at a faster pace than ever. If signups passed 6 million sometime on Tuesday, that would mean about 1.75 million had signed up for coverage in March, with several days to go. Average daily enrollment works out to about 70,000, given the method the Department of Health and Human Services uses for accounting. The average daily enrollment in December, when people were rushing to get coverage in time for January, was about 63,000.

But it also isn’t hard to find stories of people grateful to get insurance that, for the first time, is available to all Americans regardless of pre-existing conditions. Nor is it difficult to find people grateful that they can finally afford coverage, thanks either to newly expanded Medicaid programs or the financial assistance—worth, in some cases, thousands of dollars a year—through the marketplaces. And the fact that enrollment will probably be close to the original projections suggests that the law is working more or less like it’s supposed to work. Whether that’s good or bad, obviously, is a matter of opinion. Most readers are familiar with mine.

More here

BjwTXLBCYAAf8yR.png-large

Think Progress: 12 Times Republicans Claimed Nobody Would Sign Up For Obamacare

President Obama’s announcement on Thursday that six million people signed-up for coverage through the Affordable Care Act — meeting and exceeding the administration’s deadline days before the March 31st enrollment period — undermines critics who seized on the law’s troubled early rollout to predict that measure could never attract enough Americans to succeed. Below are some of the worst predictions after the administration published the first enrollment figures in

November of 2013: 1. House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) “Above all, this report is a symbol of the failure of the President’s health care law… It is a rolling calamity that must be scrapped. [CNN] 2. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-VA) “Pretty stunning…Just another day in a series of mess-ups in Obamacare.”

More here

118 Responses to “6 Million People!….Thank You ObamaCare”

1. 8 GGail
    March 27, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Tally!!!!

2. 11 GGail
    March 27, 2014 at 5:10 pm

NW, you’ve done a marvelous job since this morning covering Pappa and the Papal. Thanks!

Now – we get to celebrate the hard fought success of ACA!!!

March 27, 2014 at 5:12 pm

This is for vicki :)

From NYC Mayor de Blasio

March 27, 2014 at 5:13 pm

:) ;) :) :)

I <3 <3 PBO AND his Admin!

I also <3 #wethepeople who hang it and support the President and his team despite the obstructing noise of the media.

5. 19 Nena20409
    March 27, 2014 at 5:14 pm

Lee Majors had 6M to have him rebuilt……One Man.

ACA is well past 6M and the Product is saving millions of lives.

6. 20 Nena20409
    March 27, 2014 at 5:15 pm

You Can Dance if You want to……Yes I do.

ACA! ACA! ACA!

7. March 27, 2014 at 5:16 pm

Lovely TALLY!

How are you holding up girl friend? We have got to get together next Thursday for Lunch now that the ACA deadline will be reached and everything will be in the health insurance companies hands. Thank you so much for helping me sign up my brother.

8. 22 Nena20409
    March 27, 2014 at 5:17 pm

The Tweets are unbeatable. Awesome.

9. 23 Nena20409
    March 27, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Au for Tally ;)

10. 24 Judith Fardig
    March 27, 2014 at 5:18 pm

NW – thanks for the above, and major props to Tally on #1. Keep enrolling people!

11. 26 donna dem 4 obama
    March 27, 2014 at 5:20 pm

12. 27 Nena20409
    March 27, 2014 at 5:20 pm

The 6M plus…..those who are now covered by their parents and those who are covered with the medicare expansion…….You all are The Champions.

Here’s a Glass to you all for having a piece of mind. >-I

• 28 57andfemale
      March 27, 2014 at 5:35 pm

‘Medicaid’. Lieberman ruined the very real possibility that there would have been an expansion of Medicare under the law.

and may I never have to type his odious name ever again.

13. 30 Nena20409
    March 27, 2014 at 5:24 pm

I just want to celebrate another Milestone of ACA……I just want to celebrate many millions getting covered. I just want to celebrate million getting covered.

I just want to celebrate……..just happy as can be.

14. 31 No Child Left Behind
    March 27, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Tally!!! Congrats!!! But you left me behind… I was still on the previous post.

15. 32 donna dem 4 obama
    March 27, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Steve Benen cracks me up ….

This quote is so incredibly true: “The reality is quite different: enrollments have clearly surged in the final month…. How will the GOP respond when the numbers come in?” I don’t know the answer to that question, but I suspect it’ll have something to do with Benghazi.” :) :lol: :)

16. 34 Vicki
    March 27, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Nena—-I just want to celebrate along with you.

TOD let’s remember how we feel right now the next time some dope predicts a GOP Senate in November.

• 35 Nena20409
      March 27, 2014 at 5:40 pm

Oh Come on down Vicki ;)

as ABBA would sing, The Winner…..ACA…..Takes it all.

Rock with you…..ACA….Rock into the 6M plus…..Rock……all March……..I make it up as I go.

March 27, 2014 at 5:30 pm

March 27, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Something tells me that the GOP will be all out and lashing out in force this Sunday…President has had a very successful G-7 trip and meeting in Europe, FLOTUS the same in China. ACA sign-ups surging….

Oh boy…quick somebody…book the Republicans for the Sunday propaganda show.

19. 40 donna dem 4 obama
    March 27, 2014 at 5:35 pm

• 41 Nena20409
      March 27, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Since 2009……GOP has gotten so further to the right and their diversity has diminished.

Time is patient and will not be on their side.

20. 42 nospin
    March 27, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I absolutely LOVE my President. He is such a nice guy. So proud of him. I feel so connected to him as if he is my brother, like he is family. Love him.

21. 43 Nerdy Wonka
    March 27, 2014 at 5:37 pm

BREAKING: Federal Appeals court screws over millions of Texas Women.

March 27, 2014 at 5:38 pm

Dog is overjoyed that her owners are part of the 6M who have signed up the ACA!

23. March 27, 2014 at 5:43 pm

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

24. March 27, 2014 at 5:43 pm

MORE AWESOME SAUCE

25. March 27, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Just wanted to say thank you again to everyone who said encouraging things last night. Fortunately I just have a cyst so we are just going to watch it for now. What a relief to be able to go get it checked out. A few months ago, this would have been so expensive and I probably would have waited and worried. When you don’t have insurance, there is a constant worry that is present in the background of your life every single day. Over time it is really draining and I think it is unhealthy to live with constant worry. I have known for many years that our President is extraordinary. When it comes to health care, to looking out for the well being of ordinary people who had been abandoned to a broken and cruel health care system–he has been our champion. I’m so grateful for his determination to help us. I’m also struck as I see him carry on day to day here at home and conduct himself on the international stage that he is a person of quiet elegance. No matter how difficult or frustrating the challenge, he is a centered and steady presence.

• 52 nospin
      March 27, 2014 at 5:58 pm

Glad to hear that Momsense. Love and light to you. Praying for your good health.

• 53 Cindy
        March 27, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Happy Thursday nospin!

How are you and your baby doing? How’s your neighbor, under the circumstances, doing today? Have you all been able to understand anything about this tragedy?

You’re on my prayer (family) list, and so are the bereaved family.

Sending {{{{{{{{{nospin and family/neighbor and family}}}}}}}}}}

• 54 nospin
          March 27, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Thanks for thinking of us Cindy. There will be a candlelight vigil on Friday. Thank you for your prayers. I know the family can use it right now.

• 55 Cindy
      March 27, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Happy Thursday MomSense!

Thank you for sharing the GOOD NEWS!

I read your story last evening and added you to my prayer list. So glad that it is under control; keep the faith, stay positive and always speak healing thoughts on your life.

So glad you shared your story.

Listen to Pharrell Williams Happy song, and celebrate your milestone : )

• March 27, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Thank you nospin and Cindy! It is really incredible to think about all the people that PBO brought together. We have different life stories but we share so much!

I love the song “happy”. Recently I watched the video of people in Glasgow dancing to the song–so much fun. It’s not often that you see BMXers in kilts!

March 27, 2014 at 6:42 pm

So glad for you!

• 58 Judith Fardig
      March 27, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Whew – a cyst doesn’t sound so bad. I hope it resolves on its own.

March 27, 2014 at 5:51 pm

27. March 27, 2014 at 5:52 pm

28. 63 donna dem 4 obama
    March 27, 2014 at 5:53 pm

HF2, this ones for you. :)

29. 68 Nerdy Wonka
    March 27, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Wow. Second child. Had no clue. Congratulations to the proud parents.

March 27, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Didn’t know they were pregnant either. He’s a real cutie-pie. Congrats to the proud parents!

• 70 nospin
      March 27, 2014 at 6:01 pm

Chris Hayes produced an offspring? Why, who would have thought….

• 72 donna dem 4 obama
      March 27, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Yes I remember him posting on Huff and Puff a few years ago when he had his daughter. Congrats to them both. That boy looks just like his daddy!!

March 27, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Because his father is a jackass, I will not say anything bad about the little baby. Cute little guy.

• 76 Nena20409
      March 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Wow….look at those wide eyes. Handsome little guy.

Congratulations to the Shaw-Hayes household.

Welcome to the Jungle/world little David.

30. 77 donna dem 4 obama
    March 27, 2014 at 6:08 pm

If it wasn’t so pathetic it would be funny. ODS on full display!!

• 78 nospin
      March 27, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Donna it is pathetic. so childish.

• 79 nospin
      March 27, 2014 at 6:14 pm

“And so they issued this correction:

This article originally reported that the silence ensued after a Wednesday speech. The silence actually ensued after a Tuesday press briefing, where applause is less common.”

Please proceed GOP

• 80 MightyPamela
        March 27, 2014 at 6:44 pm

The WHPC stands up and screams at the President when the briefing is finished.. Because they have zero class. Right.

• 81 Nena20409
      March 27, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Applause at a News Conference? Now, these bat poops are Certifiable.

Oh I get it. They have the sad. 6M plus and counting. 12M including medicare and young ones under 26 yrs old.

31. March 27, 2014 at 6:10 pm

“My experience with the Affordable Care Act is a very personal one. Prior to the ACA, my mother could not afford to have healthcare because of preexisting conditions,” Nikki explains. “…Aside from her new healthcare policy covering her surgery and physical therapy, it gave my mom a sense of pride. She felt empowered knowing she was able to take care of herself without having to rely on others for help.”

32. 83 57andfemale
    March 27, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I’m posting a comment I made at dKos. Some of this my TOD family already knows, but here was yesterday’s experience at my doctor:

“Before ACA there was no one, at any price, that would cover my asthma. I was rejected outright for all insurance. The high risk pools were ridiculous in deductibles, premiums and would have made running our small business almost impossible.

I’ve been self-employed for 30 years. I had insurance in the past – those exalted “how dare you cancel my plan” type plans that, if you tried to use them, all claims were rejected short of bleeding on the ER floor, and then cancellation after that. Living in the uninsured world of the U.S. was terrifying.

I paid for cataract surgery out of pocket. I’ve gone to my asthma doctor and thought I was receiving good care. He’s a great doctor. I’ve been paying him, and for my meds to stay out of the hospital, out of pocket all these years.

That was ‘yesterday’. ‘Today’ I went to see my doctor with an insurance card through ACA and he was going to get an insurance payment for me after 30 years.

I’m not destitute. I was frankly surprised and a tad alarmed and still thrilled when he said, “Now I can get the tests and numbers on you that I need to treat you properly.”

He did some lung tests on me: I’m at 50% lung capacity and the test he ran showed, in his words, “Your airwaves are on fire.” This, with expensive meds that I’ve been paying for. I’ve been under-treated and didn’t even know it. For God knows how many years.

Now, as an aside, he should have told me about the tests he needed and we would have found the money somehow. This is the shadow you live under even with a sympathetic doctor – you don’t even know what it means to be treated properly by the American health care system. He should have let me make that choice, but I’m assuming these tests were REALLY expensive (have I mentioned American health care system sucks?)

Adjustments to my meds. An entirely different regimen for my blood pressure. Full blood work next time (although we’ve done basic blood work in the past). I may need a chest x-ray to see if I have low level pneumonia since I’ve been sick three times this winter. But he wants the basic treatment first and then we’ll assess.

My last bout of flu or whatever it was – I knew I was over a line. I called the doctor, got some meds prescribed over the phone, but I knew I’d gotten progressively worse through the winter (my insurance kicked in February 1). I wish I could express the alleviation of fear and the peace of mind I had that, if I needed to go to the ER, I could go.

I’ve applied and dealt with private insurance for years so none of this process was foreign to me. I’m going to be 64 in May so I am at the top of what can be charged for insurance. I took a low deductible, maximum flexibility knowing that I will be on Medicare May, 2015 (if we don’t elect RWNJ’s to the Senate and the House – VOTE, PEOPLE).

I got a small subsidy. My premium is less a month than I was paying for my meds out of pocket and understand, everything else concerning my health was at risk and we would certainly face financial ruin if I needed any kind of serious medical care.

I chose a co-op plan. These plans were meant to bridge from insurance to a public option-type plan since there is no profit incentive and the overhead is similar to Medicare. Illinois grandfathered in on this grant. The GOP made Obama jettison this program in the 2012 budget deal, God damn them.

Even in my doctor’s attitude, the difference between ‘yesterday’ and ‘today’ was astounding.

Every one of the RWNJ’s should rot in hell for doing everything in their power to keep Americans sick and second class. Rot. In. Hell. “

• March 27, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have a son with asthma–so I know what it means when it isn’t controlled and damn but some of the meds are sooooooo expensive. I am furious that we had to suffer so long and that there are Republicans elected in theory to work for the people’s good and yet they fear monger and lie and work to deny life saving medical treatment to millions. It is evil–sociopathic behavior. And to think that they do this to try and gain power. I don’t believe in hell but sometimes I wish I did for people like that.

So I will pray for you that you get the help and treatment that you need and that with care you will be healthy!! I haven’t been uninsured as long as you have, but enough that I do appreciate what a struggle it is. Sending you hugs and lots of support!

• 85 Cindy
      March 27, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Wow! 57andfemale,

This is unbelievable, and I am so glad that you will not face this in your lifetime again. Don’t worry, some of those guys have holes with their names engraved already; headed for hell to rot and burn eternally, for what they have done to humanity.

They will have their day of reckoning and they will have to answer for their shame.

I am so glad that you will now, get the “full care” and treatments, because Obamacare works and it’s here to stay.

Healing blessings sent to you {{{{{{{{{57andfemale}}}}}}}}}}.

• March 27, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Thanks for sharing 57. I guess your example typifies what one of the major components of the ACA was ……..preventative care…..I don’t know if your issue could have been completely alleviated had you been properly treated earlier, but I have to assume that the tests would have at least caught, or allowed better treatment before you got to the point of your doctor declaring “Your airwaves are on fire.” Regardless, best wishes and I pray for a speedy recovery. I’m so happy you have a little ‘piece of mind’ knowing if any future issues arise the ACA may relieve some burdens.

• 88 Vicki
      March 27, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Your story is horrifying. I am so glad that now you will be treated properly.
      “Keeping Americans sick and second class” yes, but all the while bragging that America has the best healthcare in the world.
      Rot in hell seems fitting.

• 89 Judith Fardig
      March 27, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Wow, 57andfemale – so happy for you! If you haven’t already, consider telling your story on the OFA website:

33. March 27, 2014 at 6:20 pm

• 92 dotster3
      March 27, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Hooray for Ct.! Sure helps having a Dem gov., doesn’t it?

• March 27, 2014 at 8:14 pm

How much longer is IL going to have a Dem. Gov Dotster?
        Is Lisa Madigan running? I know Daley dropped out, and the only other good person I’ve heard of is the Cook County Sheriff who helped people from getting kicked out of their foreclosed homes.

34. 94 carolyn
    March 27, 2014 at 6:39 pm

I just now listened to PBO’s complete Brussels speech. When has there ever been a person with such a grasp of the world, and care and compassion for all people! I just am in awe of him, and SO thankful that he is the leader of the world…….which the rest of the world acknowledges. I dare not even contemplate his no longer being president. I wish for our sake there were no term limits, but for him and his family, I am grateful.
    This I believe, by the end of his term, the entire world will be in a much better place, and he will have set us on a good, productive course.
    Thank you President Obama.

March 27, 2014 at 6:41 pm

36. March 27, 2014 at 6:47 pm

March 27, 2014 at 7:20 pm

April 3rd POTUS and FLOTUS will welcome the 2014 Olympians and Paralympians to the White House to thank them for their performance and representing the U.S.

March 27, 2014 at 6:57 pm

On ABC World news in that order:

Chris Christie (interview with Diane Sawyer) – Longest segment
    Autism on the rise
    Search for missing flight MH370
    PBO meets Pope Francis
    ACA has hit New 6M milestone (Shortest segment of all in entire news cast -got a brief mention lasted about 10 seconds)
    Stolen bags at airport
    George Bush Sr at football game
    Philadelphia 76ers losing streak

March 27, 2014 at 7:26 pm

In October when the rollout for Obamacare was messed up, that story was the first thing ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN they talked about for weeks. Now it is succeeding they ignore it.

March 27, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Exactly!

• 101 Nena20409
        March 27, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Typical. Nothing has changed. In the era of pres Obama if it bleeds, the MSM doubles down and drive the story.

Christie is bigger than 6M plus? Nope. Never. But this what the US media has morphed into since Jan 20, 2009.

38. 102 dotster3
    March 27, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Watching NBC news, per donna dem’s request——so far no mention of ACA milestone. (I do see it as one of the stories on NBC Chgo’s website tho). Nightly News started with the unbelievable report that 1 out of 68 American kids diagnosed with some form of autism. Wow. Then Chuck Todd’s report on mtg. with the pope—–in a real choppy delivery—–got in the Repub talking point that PBO was trying to usurp some of the pope’s popularity, unsurprisingly, and even tho PBO said he and the pope did not talk about their social differences, said Obama was questioned about this by other officials later, showed a second of the visit to the Coliseum. Now moving on to baggage handlers stealing from luggage at LA airport. Then the elder Bush getting an award. Doesn’t look like the ACA numbers made the cut. Nope—-final story a NCAA bball story.

March 27, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Wow.. I just posted the ABC news above. And apparently the reports were similar. I must say though, that Jon Karl was not as negative in his reporting about the meeting with the Pope. He focused more on their exchange of gifts. I guess Jon got such a spanking (not just from the President, but from the wider viewership) yesterday when he tried to push Romney’s talking points that he decided to play it safe today.

ACA got 10 seconds.

• 104 Vicki
        March 27, 2014 at 7:22 pm

NY Times website has grudging unpleasant article about 6 million of course mentioning that 6 was a downgrade from 7 million, the original goal. F–k the NYTimes.
        Their Second article is about 6 senators campaigning to Fix the ACA. ( I e-mailed this one to Chips.) Which 6 Senators? Begich, Heitkamp, Manchin, Landrieu, Angus King and one other , can’t remember who.
        This way madness lies.

March 27, 2014 at 7:30 pm

There are four days left before the deadline…and it’s quite possible that the signups will not only meet 7 million but exceed that by March 31.

• 106 carolyn
            March 27, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I wrote Brian Williams and told him what I thought of his omission of any mention of the ACA. Called his entire broadcast pathetic. He’ll probably not read it, but it felt good.

39. 107 JER
    March 27, 2014 at 7:02 pm

40. March 27, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Well here’s 6M howdies to all my O’s!!!! It’s a great getting up day again in TODville, eh?

So there is at least one more person yet to sign up. It’ll happen and maybe I should leave it alone and not nag, but geez, you’d think it’d be less stressful to just do it. I can see it now, midnight approaching on the 31st and panic all around. Oh well, some lessons must be learned the hard way. I just hope the lesson doesn’t end up costing me. #witsend

March 27, 2014 at 7:28 pm

And that my friends, explains the unexplained and intense media focus on Sasha’s “not impressed” facial expressions….because there was nothing bad to report about the trip. It was an astounding, unequivocal success on by any and every objective standard!!!!

42. March 27, 2014 at 7:31 pm

“People’s deputies have, on second attempt, adopted the Law “On Avoiding the Financial Disaster and Creating Prerequisites for Economic Growth in Ukraine.” 246 out of 321 deputies registered for the session have voted in favor of this decision (on the first attempt, only 189 deputies voted for this decision). None of the MPs from the Communist Party faction have voted for the law, and only one MP from the Party of Regions faction has voted for it.

The adopted document is part of a package of laws that should enable financial assistance from the International Monetary Fund and other international creditors.”

43. March 27, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Volatile would be a gross understatement …

““According to our information, they will employ a plan with the long-term political strategy of derailing the Ukrainian elections. But we realize that an assault on mainland Ukraine can happen anytime. And we are preparing ourselves,” the NSCU’s Secretary assured.

He emphasized that “Our principal strategy today is to ensure order in the territory of Ukraine, prevent provocations, and prepare to hold the presidential elections on May 25.””

44. March 27, 2014 at 7:42 pm