Mar

ObamaCare Means: No Longer Being Treated As Second Class

Image: Supreme Court Upholds Obama's Affordable Care Act

By 57AndFemale

I’m posting a comment I made at dKos. Some of this my TOD family already knows, but here was yesterday’s experience at my doctor: “Before ACA there was no one, at any price, that would cover my asthma. I was rejected outright for all insurance. The high risk pools were ridiculous in deductibles, premiums and would have made running our small business almost impossible.

I’ve been self-employed for 30 years. I had insurance in the past – those exalted “how dare you cancel my plan” type plans that, if you tried to use them, all claims were rejected short of bleeding on the ER floor, and then cancellation after that. Living in the uninsured world of the U.S. was terrifying.

BixY694CQAESQnr.png-large

I paid for cataract surgery out of pocket. I’ve gone to my asthma doctor and thought I was receiving good care. He’s a great doctor. I’ve been paying him, and for my meds to stay out of the hospital, out of pocket all these years. That was ‘yesterday’. ‘Today’ I went to see my doctor with an insurance card through ACA and he was going to get an insurance payment for me after 30 years. I’m not destitute. I was frankly surprised and a tad alarmed and still thrilled when he said, “Now I can get the tests and numbers on you that I need to treat you properly.”

He did some lung tests on me: I’m at 50% lung capacity and the test he ran showed, in his words, “Your airwaves are on fire.” This, with expensive meds that I’ve been paying for. I’ve been under-treated and didn’t even know it. For God knows how many years.

Now, as an aside, he should have told me about the tests he needed and we would have found the money somehow. This is the shadow you live under even with a sympathetic doctor – you don’t even know what it means to be treated properly by the American health care system. He should have let me make that choice, but I’m assuming these tests were REALLY expensive (have I mentioned American health care system sucks?)

BjwXvsKCMAEWRDa.png-large

Adjustments to my meds. An entirely different regimen for my blood pressure. Full blood work next time (although we’ve done basic blood work in the past). I may need a chest x-ray to see if I have low level pneumonia since I’ve been sick three times this winter. But he wants the basic treatment first and then we’ll assess. My last bout of flu or whatever it was – I knew I was over a line. I called the doctor, got some meds prescribed over the phone, but I knew I’d gotten progressively worse through the winter (my insurance kicked in February 1). I wish I could express the alleviation of fear and the peace of mind I had that, if I needed to go to the ER, I could go.

I’ve applied and dealt with private insurance for years so none of this process was foreign to me. I’m going to be 64 in May so I am at the top of what can be charged for insurance. I took a low deductible, maximum flexibility knowing that I will be on Medicare May, 2015 (if we don’t elect RWNJ’s to the Senate and the House – VOTE, PEOPLE). I got a small subsidy. My premium is less a month than I was paying for my meds out of pocket and understand, everything else concerning my health was at risk and we would certainly face financial ruin if I needed any kind of serious medical care.

I chose a co-op plan. These plans were meant to bridge from insurance to a public option-type plan since there is no profit incentive and the overhead is similar to Medicare. Illinois grandfathered in on this grant. The GOP made Obama jettison this program in the 2012 budget deal, God damn them. Even in my doctor’s attitude, the difference between ‘yesterday’ and ‘today’ was astounding. Every one of the RWNJ’s should rot in hell for doing everything in their power to keep Americans sick and second class. Rot. In. Hell. “

BfpgghiCQAASqjQ.png-large

125 Responses to “ObamaCare Means: No Longer Being Treated As Second Class”

1. 1 4morefor44
    March 27, 2014 at 10:18 pm

thanks for sharing!

March 27, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Yup.

March 27, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Excellent work today, as usual, Ms Wonka! Gracias.

4. 7 forus50
    March 27, 2014 at 10:23 pm

57, thank you so much for the post. It’s just so hard to comprehend the GOP and their lack of empathy or hate for anyone who has the slightest misfortune. So glad you can now have some peace of mind.

5. 8 forus50
    March 27, 2014 at 10:23 pm

• March 27, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Oh forus, thank you so much for this- I hadn’t heard it before and now I am SOBBING. I just love him so much and am so enormously grateful to his mother for raising such a remarkable man. I have tears of joy and gratefulness that he’s my prez, but also tears of heartache that so many refuse to see him. How can I love and hate my country in such equal and large measure?

• 10 theo67
        March 27, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Don’t hate your country. Just hate the ignorance that allows so many to be hoodwinked out of the good works that have been put in place for them by this Administration. Work hard to make sure that the hateful people never occupy any positions to enact more damage on this place and its people.

• 11 daisydem
        March 27, 2014 at 10:58 pm

It is easy to. I do too. I don’t hate America … or the U.S., but I hate what is being done to this President. I hate what our so called “freedom of press” has led us to … a mainstream media who can lie and make things up and focus only on the negative and the right wing talking points and thereby control the overall atmosphere in this country. However, we DID elect this President twice, so something is happening and if only the headlines would read accordingly, this country and this world would be transformed.

• 12 forus50
        March 27, 2014 at 11:08 pm

You are so welcome Kathleen. I remember sharing this little video with friends and family so many years ago to get them interested in him as a presidential candidate. He won a Grammy for his narration of his novel.

March 28, 2014 at 8:26 am

Thanks for the link, FORUS. In the Age of Obama, one of the drawbacks of reading articles to the end is that you chance running into the seemingly unavoidable media sting/lies. Sure, let’s acknowledge PBO’s accomplishment while trying to taint them in some way. That article is written by a Sarah Jean Seman (of whom I’ve never heard) who basically ends with the idea that Repubs may not win spoken word grammys but PBO doesn’t keep his word. :roll: It’s a reason I very rarely tweet articles without reading them in their entirety.

• 14 nathkatun7
        March 28, 2014 at 12:41 am

Kathleen, please don’t hate your country! All you need to do is despise all those ignorant people who hate President Obama; mainly because of the color of his skin. Rejoice with the majority of all of us Americans who elected him in 2008 (69 million of us); and then re-elected him in 2012 (with over 65 million of us). No other President, in the history of this country, has ever received that many votes. The Obama haters in the U.S. media look ridiculous, and quite frankly very childish, on the international stage. Likewise, the obama haters in Congress look just as ridiculous and stupid by wasting time and money on manufactured scandals, like Benghazi, IRS NSA; and their obsession about repealing the ACA; which is absolutely not going to happen so long as President Obama is still the PRESIDENT!

• 15 catrst
        March 28, 2014 at 8:02 am

AMBROSE BIERCE (1842-1914) — American short story writer
        “The partisan strife in which the people of the country are permitted to periodically engage does not tend to the development of ugly traits of character, but merely discloses those that preexist.”

I was looking at a site today for quotes on character and this one was listed. It spoke so profoundly to me of what we have seen since the election of our dear president, Barack Obama. Whether it is the fecklessness and self-centeredness of those on the Left that have not seen the President’s vision, the bigotry born of fear that exists in the hearts of so many people still no matter the party or the ideology, or the absolute blessedness of so many that have seen the promise of hope and change as a continuation of the universal struggle for human dignity, compassion for one another and justice and used everything they have to help the President, this has been a time of discloser for me. Its also revealed to me where I need to continue to evolve, where I need to pitch in and not fear inadequacy or error.

I am weeping after hearing this clip and I own the audio copies of the President’s books so I’ve heard this before. Just this week I realized the miracle of this site and how amazing it is to be able to be among fellows that can see how incredible this is that the President was elected and re-elected and how his strength and kindness and vision is changing the world as we know it. I vowed to be more aware each time I open a post of TOD and the cherish, really cherish the chance to read each word. Blessings to everyone that makes this possible. Each of you is a jewel beyond description.

• March 27, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Every time I hear this I just break down in tears. It’s so deeply honest and personal and so moving, as is the entire book.
      If anyone hasn’t read the book, do so! Or better yet, listen to PBO’s wonderful voice in the audio version.

• 18 forus50
        March 27, 2014 at 11:02 pm

I will forever be grateful to the CFO at our company who asked me right before Thanksgiving 2004 if I had read anything about Barack Obama. Of course I knew much about him politically being in Illinois but I didn’t know his life story, etc. So he told me to pick up two books to read over Thanksgiving which I did. “Dreams of My Father” was just amazing to read but one of my sisters told me that she had “read it” as a book on tape and she said that Barack Obama might have been the best storyteller she had ever listened to. So meta I STILL haven’t heard it and now that you mentioned it I am going to buy the audio version.

• March 27, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I’m just always so mesmerized by his voice and hearing him read his work just lifts it and makes it so immediate and personal.

He’s won grammys for the audio version of this and The Audacity of Hope.

• 20 HZ
          March 27, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Forus50, meta is so correct on the audio version being in your library. I have the printed copy of the book and the audio book. There are times when my heart is so full because of the way so many want to make this president come off as someone who does not fit their blueprints; so I go and get the audio version just to feel the core of his being as he tells his story. His voice gives me comfort to keep walking alongside him on this beautiful journey. We are so graciously blessed to walk with him on this journey.

Get you personal copy of the audio book. You will not regret it, forus50. A beautiful gift to place in your space of goodness, I promise.HZ

• 21 forus50
            March 27, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Thank you so much HZ. I always look forward to seeing you here on TOD and while I am not religious I have to say that I do actually love to read what you write because you live your faith; unlike others who just preach it. So I feel honored to see your reply and thank you for sharing your experience. I can only imagine all the good karma this beautiful audio story will bring to my home.

• 22 HZ
              March 28, 2014 at 1:40 am

Forus50, your words are so moving and kind, and I am so totally grateful for you taking the time to share them with me. I always take your words to be those spoken with much wisdom, and I appreciate that attitude. So thank you so much forus50. I just always try to speak with a measure of humbleness because I find my TOD family to be just a very brilliant, compassionate, and gracious family of beautiful human beings. How often do we find travelers on this journey of life who are willing to humbly walk with instruments of gratefulness for life, a respect for each other, and a full heart to receive and respect each other as vessels to be used to share a measure of their compassion with a core of goodness at the center of each core.

“I can only imagine all the good karma this beautiful audio story will bring to my home.” I believe you will not regret your choice, Forus50. Enjoy it in your space. HZ

6. 23 Judith Fardig
    March 27, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Great news today and a really moving personal account from 57andfemale. Way to go, 4morefor44!

March 27, 2014 at 10:25 pm

8. 25 forus50
    March 27, 2014 at 10:25 pm

THANK YOU UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AUSTIN LIBERAL NERDY WONKA BLOG TYRANT CHELSEA’S BIGGEST FAN ALL AROUND HOT STUFF LADY!!! (Whew! It’s hard to say that all in caps without taking a breath!)

9. March 27, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Thank you Nerdy for highlighting another powerful testimony from 57 – damn, I love you people.

• 28 Nerdy Wonka
      March 27, 2014 at 10:30 pm

You’re welcome.

• March 27, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Just read 57andfemale’s personal statement and cannot thank you enough for ‘front paging’ it, NW.

Moreover, 57andfemale, am so thrilled for you and, at the same time, so deeply regretful that you have not received the care you, and every person, deserves.

President Obama is rectifying a vast travesty.

With America’s wealth, absolutely NO person in America should have EVER experienced what you did. Period.

#TrustBarack

• 30 57andfemale
          March 27, 2014 at 11:27 pm

That’s why I wanted to talk about this today: I don’t have a dramatic story like needing cancer treatment (God, I hope not anyway – still have all my ACA screenings to get to!). But to realize the subtle choices that were made for me, relegating me to second class status even by a great doctor. It was shocking. But the relief of having decent care after all these years – I can’t fully express the power of the emotions I’m feeling.

• 33 57andfemale
          March 27, 2014 at 11:29 pm

And that the Koch Bros and all of the GOP would be willing to spend vast amounts of money to DENY health care is sociopathic. And yet their message is the one the Chuck Todds of the world think is more worthy than the benefits of ACA. It’s despicable.

• 34 57andfemale
        March 27, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Thank you so much Nerdy. I know my experience is the experience of millions of Americans.

Our President literally went through the bowels of Hell to get ACA for the American people. History will laud him as the hero that he is.

10. 35 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Wow 57andfemale, what a nightmare to wake up from! I’m thrilled to know that you have the coverage and are getting the proper treatment you deserve. Your story must be shared with the millions who may be experiencing the same or worse. Bless you for sharing it and many thanks to Nerdy Wonka for highlighting it.

March 27, 2014 at 10:32 pm

12. 37 isonprize
    March 27, 2014 at 10:35 pm

57andFemale.

That is a horribly good story. I mean, I’m mad and happy about it at the same time. I can only imagine how you felt and STILL feel.

March 27, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Money quote.

Happy for you 57f that you could finally get the right treatment.

Thanks for nothing, OBAMA.

March 27, 2014 at 10:44 pm

15. 42 GGAIL
    March 27, 2014 at 10:45 pm

57, thank you for sharing your story. You will probably touch and encourage more people to share their story too!

NW, awesome!!

16. 43 forus50
    March 27, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Bringing this over from the last thread as it’s so fun! I love the ESPN dudes and the guy in the suit jumping into the waves. Actually they ALL look like they are having a blast.

March 27, 2014 at 10:49 pm

18. March 27, 2014 at 10:56 pm

57andFemale: WOW. Just WOW. What a story and what an unjust experience. I’m so thrilled that you are now being properly attended to. And the sad truth is there are millions who have suffered in the same way. I will never understand the RWNJs who put every fiber of their being into hating and fighting this law. Never.

• 50 57andfemale
      March 27, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Thanks, John McCain. I still maintain if that miserable, bitter old man had not unleashed Sarah Palin on us, we would not have had the influx of soul-starved nutjobs in 2010. The House may have still gone GOP, but not the influx of heartless knuckle dragging TGOP. That McCain doesn’t even care about the consequences of his choice show him to be yet another sociopath. Thank God he lost.

March 27, 2014 at 10:56 pm

LOL.

20. March 27, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Oh Happy Day!!.. I celebrate with all of TOD and all of America. 6 MILLION strong sign-ups.PBO you are the BEST! Thanks for Obamacare.

57and Female I am very touched by your story. Thanks for sharing. I am happy for your happy ending of getting Healthcare coverage.

Tomorrow is another big sign-up day for our volunteer team… we have appointments lined up to the rafters. Most days this week
    the demand has been so great we have been getting messages on the marketplace to ‘please try again’ the volume was so high.
    That’s a good thing.

And I know in my gut that we are going to exceed 7Million before the extension of April 15.

• 55 57andfemale
      March 27, 2014 at 11:37 pm

I’ve gotten several robocalls from Get Covered and other groups (I’ve been at work and unable to tell them that I am indeed covered).

The problems with the website in the beginning were an issue. I’m sure it looks as if I have open accounts that I couldn’t access. It was on my third try with a third email address that I was finally able to sail through.

21. March 27, 2014 at 10:59 pm

A little more inconvenient history for Tzar Vlad …

“Recently, thanks to Russian President Vladimir Putin, that brilliant follower in Adolf Hitler’s footsteps, those Ukrainian citizens who believe that their Motherland is Ukraine (as opposed to Russia or the Soviet Union), are automatically declared to be “Banderites” and “Neo-Nazis.”

What is the reason behind the fact that, starting from the 2000′s, our so-called “brothers” brand all Ukrainian patriots, as well as any Ukrainians who don’t feel part of the “Russian world,” as “Banderites,” “fascist helpers,” etc.? Why does Comrade Putin have so much hatred for the people who struggled for the independence of their country against everyone – the Germans, the Red Army, the Soviet partisans? Perhaps because in this particular Nazi’s plans, there is no room for an independent Ukraine, just as there was no room for it in Hitler’s.

Today, we propose to lift the curtain and shed some light on a number of facts that “Putin&Co” don’t like remembering. They would rather pretend that Russian history does not include a betrayal of millions of Russians during WW2. As if these several millions were never part of the great history of the great Russia. As if they simply got lost among the endless pages of time. The Russian media like making a lot of noise about “Banderite collaborators of fascists,” while saying nothing about the large-scale collaboration that took place in Crimea, including Sevastopol, during the German-Romanian occupation. Today, this stretch of time remains a deep mystery.

It’s not as simple as it looks. While in western regions of Ukraine, the UPA [Ukrainian Insurgent Army] fought to defend its people against Nazi aggressors, the situation in the southeast and in Crimea was more difficult. Legions of collaborators were helping occupiers in repressions against their own people. Starting from mid-summer of 1942, they were marching under the same banners as the Russkaia Obschina [Russian Community of Crimea], and wearing the same uniform as today’s Crimean Russian Cossacks.

By the way, all of them spoke Russian. The absolute majority of German collaborators – units of the Russian Liberation Army [ROA] in Crimea and Ukraine – were Russian-speaking.”

More at the link in this tweet …

March 27, 2014 at 11:03 pm

57, thanks for sharing your incredibly moving story and so glad you finally have some peace of mind with the ACA!

23. 61 carolyn
    March 27, 2014 at 11:03 pm

57 and female, I was horrified by your experience! Thank you so much for sharing with all of us. My medical care is and has been so different. I have a combination of Medicare and Tricare for Life……as I always say to people, I have what EVERY American should have. If I need a test, it’s ordered. If I need a medication, it’s pennies on the dollar. I hope that eventually all Americans will have what I now have….they should have. I hope your health will increase and your quality of life will greatly improve with improved health care. What you have endured!

24. 62 daisydem
    March 27, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I love, love, love the pictures of our President with children. He will tolerate their little hands pushing at him; their little faces smiling at him, or looking at him inquisitively, whatever. It shows me that probably Malia and Sasha had a “hands on” Dad … at least when he was there and not in the D.C. being the wonderful Senator he was. They probably could climb on him, muss his hair, push at his face and he would take it all in. He is so great with the kids. I am so lucky: I have a hubby like that. My kids could cuddle him and muss his up and he’d love every bit of it. Mr. President, as a wife and mother, I love how you love children!

March 27, 2014 at 11:08 pm

I predicted a few months back, that #ObamaCare final enrollment would be around 7 to 8 million.

Make it happen and make me right america.

• 64 forus50
      March 27, 2014 at 11:11 pm

Linky? Kidding! You should be a Vegas gambler amk.

• 65 57andfemale
      March 27, 2014 at 11:13 pm

Imagine, amk, if the U.S. media had told the truth about ACA. If the administration had been able to run an ad campaign for the last few years the way they’ve been doing the last month. If there had been enough navigators. If every mayor, governor, legislator put Americans’ health above their mean spirit and behaved with basic decency. The fact that it will end up close to 7 million Americans crawled over broken glass to get health insurance, the number would have been double that. We could have eradicated the numbers of uninsured Americans THIS YEAR.

• 66 57andfemale
      March 27, 2014 at 11:39 pm

That’s what the acasignups guy has predicted. He’s been right on everything so far……..

• 70 nathkatun7
      March 28, 2014 at 1:34 am

Frankly, the ACA accomplishments are quite impressive! When you add to the 6-7 million people who bought insurance from the exchanges, to another 7 millions who are now covered by medicaid; plus the people who signed on the ACA insurance through private sites; plus the over three million young adults who now have insurance because they can stay on their parents insurance; almost 40% 0f the people who had no health insurance, or had “junk” insurance, before President Obama was elected, now have substantial health insurance coverage.

26. 72 57andfemale
    March 27, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Oh my God! I took a nap and woke up to see my story! I’m overwhelmed!

March 27, 2014 at 11:13 pm

28. 76 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:16 pm

March 27, 2014 at 11:20 pm

And believe I saw – on an earlier thread – that he and his team received a congratulatory call from Joey Biden for signing!

29. 78 Nerdy Wonka
    March 27, 2014 at 11:16 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!! Shonda Rhimes the creator of Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, and Scandal retweeted me for the second time!!!!

Oxygen? Where are thou?!!!!!! :D

30. 81 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:18 pm

31. 82 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Just gotta say I love watching my PBO get in and out of this baby!

32. 83 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:22 pm

33. 84 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:23 pm

A tiny ray of sunshine peeks out of the Sunshine State

34. March 27, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Some domestic stuff:

GOP hypocrites pulled some shady shit today…….. remember their uproar about a ‘voice vote’ during ACA passage? Yeah, well…….

35. 89 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Good info for business owners

36. 90 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Another cute one :-D

March 27, 2014 at 11:25 pm

March 27, 2014 at 11:25 pm

We’ve seen this before, but it bears repeating, I think. The only Repukes not on this list are the ones still living in Eisenhower’s time (because Daddy was a Republican), paying no attention to their party (or their own interests) in the 21st Century.

39. 93 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:27 pm

40. 94 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:28 pm

March 27, 2014 at 11:29 pm

PBO’s Between Two Ferns is now officially the most watched episode with 20M views. Justin Beiber follows with 19M views. PBO’s video is just a little over two weeks, while Beiber’s is over 5 months.

42. 99 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Ugh! Can I puke now? I looked up and saw Jack Kingston’s campaign ad talking about how he cut $1 million from his budget and $3 billion from “Obama’s budget”. Of course, he failed to mention the Koch money his sorry is getting under the table.

43. 103 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:32 pm

44. March 27, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Thanks again 57 female for a lovely update. It isn’t just getting health care but getting health care that matters.

45. 105 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:41 pm

46. 107 Dudette
    March 27, 2014 at 11:50 pm

A certain Vulcan distracted me from posting other birthday tweets yesterday, so I’ll try and remedy some of that now. Let’s start with Mr. Pendergrass

March 27, 2014 at 11:50 pm

• 109 Dudette
      March 28, 2014 at 12:00 am

Awww, there’s a special place in my heart for Pugs! My late puppy-nephew Adi was a wonderful pug, who lived to be 11 yrs old.
      My sister’s Maltie-Poo Oliver came into our family after we lost Adi.

48. March 27, 2014 at 11:53 pm

49. 111 Dudette
    March 28, 2014 at 12:02 am

March 28, 2014 at 12:02 am

Yes, Jon, corporations are a$$holes, too!

51. 113 Dudette
    March 28, 2014 at 12:03 am

I agree with Nina 100%

52. 114 Dudette
    March 28, 2014 at 12:06 am

53. 116 forus50
    March 28, 2014 at 12:09 am

lp yup, AZ make it back!! Now they need to hang on lol.

March 28, 2014 at 12:09 am

If I have my theme songs right, they didn’t!

55. 118 taiping1
    March 28, 2014 at 12:10 am

Thanks NW & Chips for such great coverage. Best source for this amazing administration.

Zakaria has a good post in WaPo:

56. 119 Dudette
    March 28, 2014 at 12:11 am

57. 122 Dudette
    March 28, 2014 at 12:14 am

I didn’t see “The Russians Are Coming” (ironic name these days) but I did see Alan Arkin in “Little Miss Sunshine” — he was HEEEE-larious!

58. 123 taiping1
    March 28, 2014 at 12:16 am

I’ve started seeing new patients who now have health care for the first time in years with many chronic problems that need to be addressed. Such a blessing that the President persevered.

59. 124 Dudette