Mar

Rise and Shine

On This Day: President Obama greets U.S. troops at a mess hall at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan, March 28, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

Today (all times US Eastern):

5:35 AM: President Obama departs Rome

10:10 AM: Arrives Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

11:00 AM: Meets with Saudi King Abdullah

The President will remain overnight in Saudi Arabia.

Paul Krugman: Obamacare Fails to Fail

…. Predictably, Republicans are in an uproar over the latest tweak to the Obamcare signups — an extension of the March 31 deadline for people who say that they tried to apply but encountered technical difficulty. As Jonathan Cohn says, the real objection here seems to be not so much that Obama is overstepping his bounds as that this will make it possible for more people to get insurance.

But I also have the sense that people in the GOP are still working with a completely wrong narrative — namely, that Obamacare is failing, and that these are desperate ploys to save a sinking ship. The reality is quite different: enrollments have clearly surged in the final month. Charles Gaba is now projecting 6.4 million through the exchanges, and many more directly purchased from insurers.

…. How will the GOP respond when the numbers come in? … There really isn’t any room in their worldview for the possibility that this thing might work.

Full post here

New Republic

National Journal: Obamacare’s Invisible Victory – Why the total enrollment number is actually bigger than you think.

Obamacare friends and foes alike are eagerly watching the law’s insurance-enrollment tally, ready to trumpet every success or pounce on every failure.

But as the final figures before the end of open enrollment are posted, a significant chunk of people who bought insurance under the law will be missing from the official tally.

That’s because people who bought insurance directly from insurers, and not through the law’s exchanges, will not be included. And just how many people that represents is a figure that will not be available in time for the big enrollment-total reveal — and likely not for a long time after.

Off-exchange enrollment is the forgotten piece of the Affordable Care Act, but it could represent millions of people who are also getting covered as a result of the health care law — many of whom are the young, healthy customers the administration is so aggressively pursuing.

More here

Brian Beutler: Tragedy for Republicans: More people will be getting health insurance!

Putting it out there now: By May 1, enrollment in ACA-compliant health plans through federally facilitated and state-based exchanges will hit the symbolic 7 million mark, and conservatives will whine that it doesn’t count because something something.

…. My confidence stems from the Obama administration’s decision, announced Wednesday, to create a grace period of sorts for people who have attempted to apply for coverage on healthcare.gov but got sidelined along the way.

This would annoy and delight conservatives under any circumstances, just as every Obamacare delay and exception annoys and delights conservatives. But what genuinely pisses them off in this circumstance is that the administration has set up a system that’s deliberately easy to game, for the purposes of increasing enrollment.

The spirit of the extension is to give people who’ve already begun the process by March 31 a small amount of time to complete their unfinished applications, and to insure against the possibility that the system gets clogged up on the last couple days of the month. Administration officials, via Jonathan Cohn, compare this to making sure that people who are still in line when their polling places close are allowed to vote.

More here

Steve Benen: ACA enrollment tops 6 million

…. It’s easy to forget, but this seemed like a pipe dream last fall. In October, the first month of the open-enrollment period, just 106,185 consumers signed up for insurance through an exchange – causing Republicans to not only celebrate, but to openly mock the system by noting a variety of sports venues that hold more than 106,185 attendees.

It was obviously proof, we were told at the time, that the Affordable Care Act itself was “hurtling toward failure.”

Oops.

The enrollment totals must seem literally unbelievable to Republicans, who managed to convince one another that the ACA is not only catastrophically flawed, but on an inevitable road towards imploding ….as Paul Krugman noted earlier today, “How will the GOP respond when the numbers come in?”

I don’t know the answer to that question, but I suspect it’ll have something to do with Benghazi.

Full post here

ThinkProgress: 12 Times Republicans Claimed Nobody Would Sign Up For Obamacare

President Obama’s announcement on Thursday that six million people signed-up for coverage through the Affordable Care Act — meeting and exceeding the administration’s deadline days before the March 31st enrollment period — undermines critics who seized on the law’s troubled early rollout to predict that measure could never attract enough Americans to succeed. Below are some of the worst predictions after the administration published the first enrollment figures in November of 2013:

More here

Oh, Chuck Todd. Look at his pathetic response to the mighty Donna:

Hats off to Donna for challenging the worthless toerag low-life shill.

This, x 1,000,000,000 ->

SmartyPants: The Obama Doctrine

After the decision was made to intervene militarily in Libya, some pundits made the case that an Obama Doctrine was evident and called it “leading from behind.” I’d suggest that is a small part of an emerging Obama Doctrine – but not the heart of things. As the President openly takes the lead on responding to the situation in the Ukraine, we can see how flawed it was.

Watching President Obama deal with various foreign policy challenges over the last year, a much more comprehensive view of how he approaches these things is evident. His North Star when it comes to evaluating situations and developing a strategy to deal with them is three-fold.

More here

ThinkProgress: This One Simple Graphic Explains The Difference Between Climate Science And Climate Politics:

More here

USA Today: Obama to host Olympians at White House

President Obama will host the U.S. Winter Olympics and Paralympics teams next week at the White House.

The event will be Thursday, April 3.

The president and first lady Michelle Obama “will congratulate the Olympians and Paralympians on their performance and thank them for representing the United States during the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia,” says the White House.

Look away now mother: President Obama leaving Italy this morning.

On This Day:

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) smiles as he holds a baby following his speech to supporters at Soldiers and Sailors Military Museum and Memorial in the Oakland section of Pittsburgh at the kick off his bus tour of Pennsylvania on March 28, 2008

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) speaks to supporters during a campaign rally at the Fort Worth Convention Center in Fort Worth, Texas February 28, 2008. More than 11,000 people attended the event, his third of the day

President Obama arrives at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan, March 28, 2010, after an all-night secret flight on Air Force One. He was met by U.S. Ambassdor Karl Eikenberry and Gen. Stanley McChrystal, both at left (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama meets with Afghan President Hamid Karzai at the Presidential Palace in Kabul, Afghanistan, March 28, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama waves to U.S. troops at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan, March 28, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama greets U.S. troops at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan, March 28, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama meets with U.S. Ambassador Karl Eikenberry, left, and Gen. Stanley McChrystal at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan, March 28, 2010 (Photo by Pete Souza)

President Obama speaks at a town hall meeting hosted by Univision at Bell Multicultural High School in Washington, D.C., March 28. 2011 (Photo by Pete Souza)

A supporter holds a sign in front of the U.S. Supreme Court as the court hears it’s third day of arguments on the constitutionality of President Obama’s health care bill in Washington, D.C. on March 28, 2012

President Obama hugs a member of a group of mothers who are for tougher gun laws after delivering remarks on gun violence during an event in the East Room at the White House on March 28, 2013

MoooOOOooorning!

160 Responses to “Rise and Shine”

March 28, 2014 at 10:43 am

Mornin’!

March 28, 2014 at 10:47 am

Chips – Your “Look away now mother” cracked me up! And I love all the rest of your R&S choices, too!

Baby O’Donna – Love the fact you got a rise out of Chuck Todd. Maybe all week we can respond to any and all of his tweets by replying “Tad arbitrary” – Ha!

3. 20 Linda
    March 28, 2014 at 10:52 am

Chuck Todd attended George Washington University from 1990 to 1994. He played French horn and attended on a music scholarship.He did not graduate

March 28, 2014 at 10:56 am

Maybe he should go back and try to finish that French Horn degree. He can then perform for the WHPC when they are bored instead of writing crap about the President.

March 28, 2014 at 10:54 am

G’morning Chips, TOD, lurkers, everyone and congrats to JO’B on #1! :) :) Thanks Chips for another super-fine Friday R & S round-up.

Here is another gallery of our FLOTUS’ visit to China – contains some pics I had not seen before. Very nice!

5. 23 Ladyhawke
    March 28, 2014 at 10:55 am

Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, I’m Officially Covered

By Bob Cesca

—————————-

Had it not been for the ACA I wouldn’t be insured. Frankly, will my voting choices be guided in part by a desire to remain insured? You’re damn right they will. And anyone who tries to repeal the law will hear from me in this space and in the voting booth — now more than ever. I refuse to allow any tea party gomer deep in the throes of flaming Obama Derangement Syndrome to take away my coverage. I suspect I’m not the only one.
    So now, on this day, at the end of nine uninsured years, I can think of only two more words to encapsulate precisely how I feel right now.

“Thanks, Obama.”

———————————–

March 28, 2014 at 10:59 am

Groan….. hate when they discriminate against me! ‘The uploader has not made this video available in your country.’ Well, excuse me, TOD is my country and there’s absolutely no reason I shouldn’t be able to see the video here!!!! ;) ;)

March 28, 2014 at 11:00 am

There’s something about my President holding babies…that pic from 2008 when he’s in Oakland PA holding the baby boy… :) :)

8. 26 japa21
    March 28, 2014 at 11:00 am

GM all TODvillians. Chips, an absolutely faaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic R&S.

It used to absolutely amaze me how little credit PBO was getting for major accomplishments, whether from the right, the left, or the in-betweenies. It doesn’t amaze me anymore. I have become immune to it.

We live in an era when people like Upchuck Todd, Glenn Greenwald, Jon Karl and others are able to call themselves journalists and, just because they say they are, that is how the world treats them. Not only that, they get paid millions of dollars for being incompetent boobs who actually harm the country while so many other people who actually do things that benefit society struggle to make ends meet.

So I won’t spend a lot of time bemoaning the situation. It is what it is and the only way to do something about it is to make ourselves heard as best we can, whether through places like this, twitter, facebook, LTE’s, being part of an organized effort, or whatever.

March 28, 2014 at 11:02 am

So the Saudi King meeting isn’t going to be on WH.GOV. Shucks. I’ve been checking them since earlier this a.m. and all I’ve gotten is that they’re currently off the air. :(

10. 29 Cindy
    March 28, 2014 at 11:05 am

Scrap 1st…. (previous thread)

2nd Food for Thought……

Start a twitter poll on good ol Chucky Todd (he is the media) with a 3 Tier Grading System; A, D or F

He gets very agitated when the tables are turned on him. It’s time for the media to be rated since they spend so much time on rating President Obama and Obamacare and creating fake polls.

#IsChuckToddA”RealJournalist?” Grade ___

I’m first, F

March 28, 2014 at 11:06 am

Chips-y O’Rooney, I’m still working my work through your post. You sure know how to give a girl enough ‘stuff’ to keep her quiet; luckily for me they’re enough visuals to keep my interest. ;) Ich danke Ihnen

12. March 28, 2014 at 11:07 am
    March 28, 2014 at 11:12 am
      March 28, 2014 at 11:18 am

Oh, my. Knoller tweeted something interesting. How long did it take you to find THAT, hf2???

• 88 Nena20409
      March 28, 2014 at 11:33 am

I suppose the useless DC Village idiot, Count von Knoller has finally earned his pay on March 28th, 2014.

I doubt that he is in Saudi Arabia. Dc bound and tweeting the day away.

March 28, 2014 at 11:14 am

just now at the dinner table

15. 108 CarolynfromDetroit
    March 28, 2014 at 11:19 am

Thanks, TOD, for keeping us informed!! For my mental and physical health, I’ve been watching a lot more cooking shows and coming here to get the news.

March 28, 2014 at 11:26 am
  17. 113 Nena20409
    March 28, 2014 at 11:31 am

Excellent R&S.

Gold Medal for J’OB. Congrats madame.

18. 115 Nena20409
    March 28, 2014 at 11:37 am

If Dems show up They Win…..

There are more Dems than TBGOPers.

More US citizens support Dem policies.

2014. 2014. 2014. Make that Change and permanent.

photo/1

March 28, 2014 at 12:11 pm

But that’s not what the media told me just a couple weeks, when they declared that Millenials were abandoning Obama in droves and becoming more “Independent.”

19. March 28, 2014 at 11:40 am
      March 28, 2014 at 11:44 am

Good golly. Gotta get a grip. What a dashing President we have!

I hope he doesn’t “bow to the king” during his trip. Heads will explode. Ha!

March 28, 2014 at 11:42 am

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has picked up on this. In the running-out-of-RWNJ-negatives category, the new favorite – why are we not surprised – response to the ACA 6M milestone is “Here’s what we don’t know. We don’t know how many of those people have paid for coverage yet.”

We also don’t know how many have blue eyes. Or kittens. Or like bacon. Or how many hate RWNJs.

Buzzards!

• 120 Lovepolitics2008
      March 28, 2014 at 1:10 pm

These kinds of remarks just make them look petty . The majority of Americans, even those who are lukewarm to the law (because of so much misinformation), will just know that those are the words of sore losers.

I mean… enough already.

March 28, 2014 at 1:12 pm

How they can attempt to use up all the negative words available about THIS President is beyond me.

But “There’s an endless supply of paint”!

March 28, 2014 at 11:43 am
    • 123 Nena20409
      March 28, 2014 at 11:47 am

Wow…that Rug is just beautiful.

March 28, 2014 at 11:47 am

Totally surreal image! Love it.

And I bet old Mark is thanking his lucky stars that he’s on Jim Acosta’s photo distribution list. Mark can just sit back and eat grapes all day, using big phrases like “in ornate hall.”

March 28, 2014 at 11:49 am

I’m sure Markie is carefully searching the pic (with a magnifying glass no doubt) to see if he can find traces of food/desserts/drinks anywhere on the tables….

March 28, 2014 at 11:43 am
  23. March 28, 2014 at 11:44 am

Transparency ….

“On Thursday evening, the Verkhovna Rada adopted the Law on the Facilitation of Access to Public Information.

Bill № 0947 “On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine in connection with the adoption of the Law of Ukraine “On Information”(as amended) and the Law of Ukraine “On access to public information” was supported by 235 MPs.

These laws provide public access to the government and decisions made by local authorities. The bill introduces fines for “the unwarranted attribution of information to classified information, failure to respond to a request for information, failure to provide information, unlawful refusal to provide information, untimely or incomplete provision of information, and the provision of false information.””

24. 132 Nena20409
    March 28, 2014 at 11:45 am

Per TPM and Mediaite…..

Rep Rogers from MI a GOPer, chair of Intel Committee, is call it quits and is going to become a radio talker host once his term ends.

Good Riddance.

March 28, 2014 at 11:45 am

Putin to release B/W photo of himself with back halfway turned as if to board an airplane (but shirtless & on horseback) in 5…4…3..2…1…

26. 134 dotster3
    March 28, 2014 at 11:45 am

I know everyone has said this millions of times, but I continue to be in awe of President Obama’s ability to sail elegantly and smartly through these jam-packed days. I have no idea where he finds the energy and the capacity to be so impressive every minute on every stage, at every kind of occasion. Remarkable beyond belief.

• 135 carolyn
      March 28, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Totally agree with you dotster! Here he is toward the end of a momentous week, and he still has a spring in his step and fire in his eyes. He is the most amazing man. That top picture is truly a keeper. I know how he felt in that picture…..one last look at luscious, welcoming Italy. That’s how I felt every time I had to leave.

What this trip confirms to me is that holding this office demands a person of stamina and yes, youth. The people wanting to run who are over 65, frankly, are too old for the punishing schedule demanded today. President Obama was the perfect age with the perfect experience at the time he ran. I am so thrilled to keep seeing more of his depth of historical knowledge and understanding, so he puts all events into a good perspective.

There is NO WAY he is going to get involved in a ground war with Russia. He knows history enough to know what Russia did to Napoleon and Hitler. People who are ignorant of history …..GWB, etc……do stupid, rash, dangerous things. I’m so thankful for PBO right now.

March 28, 2014 at 12:09 pm

It’s true dotster. If I have to give one hr-long presentation at work, I’m pretty wiped out for much of that day and can only do trivial stuff. This man is “on” and not only has to look fresh all the time, but has to be mentally alert. And I’m not even counting the jet lag and time zone differences…

27. 137 lockewasright
    March 28, 2014 at 11:47 am

I am on break at work and researching for the business that I want to open so that I can leave this job and move to the coast. It’s making it easier to get through a shift for me, but it’s also making me a lot less patient with the BS that can accompany this job.

March 28, 2014 at 11:48 am

paging chips. go for it.

March 28, 2014 at 11:49 am
  30. March 28, 2014 at 11:50 am

hi everyone
    I have been quieter with my Christie tweets because the story became somewhat dormant but it’s back on the front burner again.

March 28, 2014 at 11:57 am

Well, if Christie’s “outing” of Kelly’s so-called affair with the other guy doesn’t cause both of them to speak up, then there’s no hope for them. Christie really, really needs to be put out to pasture – maybe in one of the farm states nearby the people whom he said this week “love” him.

31. March 28, 2014 at 11:51 am

Quick stop to share something I just saw on Facebook: University of Alabama Sororites Win Right to Ban Blacks. Good Lord Almighty? This IS 21014, right? Can someone, anyone explain this hate to me??????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. March 28, 2014 at 11:53 am
  33. March 28, 2014 at 11:54 am

POTUS is wise. POTUS is handsome. POTUS is charming. POTUS is cool. All this without breaking a sweat on a world stage that is fraught with corruption and danger.

The RWNJs must die a thousand deaths inside when they see him day after day doing what’s intelligent and right with compassion and vigor.

BWWAAAHAHAAAAAAHAAABBWAAHAHAAAAAA.

March 28, 2014 at 11:54 am
  35. 157 Nerdy Wonka
    March 28, 2014 at 11:54 am
  36. 158 CEB
    March 28, 2014 at 12:03 pm

I have been thinking of and on about countries that challenged the U. S. in the past, over-reached, and then bit the dust. In the 80′s and early 90′s it was all about Japan. Bush Sr. went there to beg for trade concessions and threw up at dinner. Fast forward a few years later, they have zombie banks and we are bailing them out. Remember, OPEC? They literally held us and other countries over the barrel as they wielded control over the cost and availability of oil. We were in Iraq war 1.0 to keep the oil flowing. OPEC over-reached and you hear nothing about them anymore. We produce more energy using new technologies, have mandated more energy efficiency in our products, and for the short term, drilled for more oil and natural gas. We are exporting more oil and gas than ever before (all of these things are under PBO). No longer will our energy needs drive our foreign policy. And now we have Vlad, the would-be-Tzar, who thought that West would stand by, as it did in 2008 in regard to Georgia, and let him do as he pleased in the Ukraine. All of the times that he has met with and spoken with PBO and he still does not understand that PBO is not like Shrub in any way shape or form. How surprised and shocked he must be to see PBO rallying international support and actions to rein in his dreams of empire. It is astounding how much the world has changed during PBO’s tenure in the White House. While there are many more challenges here and abroad, change has come to the world as more and more people realize “yes, we can” shape our lives, our countries, for the better.