Apr

This and That

All smiles at Bladensburg High School

President Obama looks over a student’s work as he visits a classroom at Bladensburg High School, Md., April 7

How lovely is this? Thank yoooooou Lb4Obama for letting us know: @sfpelosi was on Sirius XM’s POTUS Channel today and gave little old TOD a very kind shout-out:

Lb4Obama’s comment cracked me up:

Hey Chips and fellow TOD’ers! Just wanted to pass along that while in my car this afternoon I was listening to the very end of a show on “POTUS” channel 124 Sirius XM and Christine PELOSI was the guest. The host asked her to name 3 of the best blogs she follows. Cannot remember the first two, But her third recommendation was THE OBAMA DIARY! She said it is a great chronicle of the Obama years! I screamed out loud and almost hit the median I was so excited to hear her give the shout out!

Lb4Obama? DRIVE CAREFULLY!!! :-)

Thank you @sfpelosi!

Text of remarks here

….. taking the stage at Bladensburg High School

Text of remarks here

Tweet of the Day – spotted by Donna

:???:

Because we can never see it enough:

130 Responses to “This and That”

April 7, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Other

2. 24 Dudette
    April 7, 2014 at 6:16 pm

3. 25 dannystix
    April 7, 2014 at 6:18 pm

dont lik wite box reel stoopid blak rox

April 7, 2014 at 6:21 pm

You tell ‘er Danny!! :)

• 32 GGail
      April 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm

OMGoodness – MAKE IT BLACK AGAIN!!!!!!

April 7, 2014 at 6:27 pm

You be quiet, DannyO!

• 34 Dudette
      April 7, 2014 at 6:29 pm

What wite box Danny Boy?

• 35 dannystix
        April 7, 2014 at 6:33 pm

iz lik a sno blizurd doodet

April 7, 2014 at 6:37 pm

For goodness sakes, go take a nap, DannyO!

• 37 dannystix
            April 7, 2014 at 6:41 pm

cant sleap 2 hungree

April 7, 2014 at 6:44 pm

Go see if Holly will share some of her supper with you. Whatever you do, put a lid on your opinion about the comment space ….unless you’re supporting me, of course.

• 39 dannystix
                April 7, 2014 at 6:47 pm

iz ovar wit holy i woznt redy 4 serus relayshunship

April 7, 2014 at 6:55 pm

O. Okay. I commend you on your self-knowledge. Not many min know themselves so well at such a young age. When the right time comes the right
                  Holly or Ivy will come too.

Sure hope your supper has been prepared while we were talking. Enjoy!

• 41 Dudette
            April 7, 2014 at 7:38 pm

Oh, I went back to previous threads. Something about a white comment box.

I can’t see any difference right now. When on my phone TOD’s background is all white anyway. I actually like the black background as it appears on my computer but can’t access TOD from work. I’ll take a peek when I get home.

April 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm

This white background only appears in the comment box when you are typing. It provides a nice contrast, highlighting the area so you can see better what you are saying. I personally think it’s ‘neat’, particularly because it provides a contrast from the rest of the page which is dark with white printing.

April 7, 2014 at 7:46 pm

However, I have never yet been on the winning side of one of these types of surveys in the village, so I know what to expect. I’m enjoying it while it lasts. :lol:

4. 44 Dudette
    April 7, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Wow Donna, what a totally incoherent response to your tweet.

That account is full of jibberish tweets though. Some of them are funny, some just plain headacratchers.

Maybe they’re being generated automatically.

• 45 donna dem 4 obama
      April 7, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Another one of Chips nutty followers. I don’t know how they find her but they always seem too. :) :shock: :)

• April 7, 2014 at 6:31 pm

Excuse me you, she leapt in to action in response to your tweet, I was blissfully unaware of her specialness until you brought her in to my life! :-)

• 47 donna dem 4 obama
          April 7, 2014 at 6:35 pm

They love you Chips. You’re like a Nut Magnet on Twitter. I can’t blame them for wanting to be a part of your inner twitter circle. You are the In The Know Girl. I’m just an innocent by-stander here. :)

• 49 Dudette
          April 7, 2014 at 6:39 pm

“her specialness” LOL!

April 7, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I’m happy to see a slew of Senators now putting pressure on the House to Pass UI extension. Paging John Boehner…

April 7, 2014 at 6:27 pm

7. 55 Dudette
    April 7, 2014 at 6:27 pm

April 7, 2014 at 6:40 pm

April 7, 2014 at 6:41 pm

10. April 7, 2014 at 6:46 pm

11. April 7, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Awesome segment on Rev Al’s program. right now….with the head of the Urban League and NAACP Legal Defense Fund….I do not have NWs tweet capabilities…but it is well work watching

12. April 7, 2014 at 6:54 pm

whoa, wait, SF Pelosi gave our little blog a shoutout?! #ded

13. 62 MightyPamela
    April 7, 2014 at 6:58 pm

At first I thought this new comment box was so very weird. But I find it easy to adapt to. I’m only torn between VC liking it, and DannyO’ not liking it. Chipsticks, please give the precious puppy back his bone, he has to be building up his stamina for his upcoming love life….

April 7, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Ode to NASA and AF1, from Diarra with love…. :)

April 7, 2014 at 7:01 pm

April 7, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Redecorating?

17. April 7, 2014 at 7:21 pm

18. 90 isonprize
    April 7, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Hey POU fam! You “knew her when” … Here is Helen Gym, the woman with whom I have worked with the Parents United group in Philadelphia.

The “Public Good” Is Not a Dirty Word: Rebuilding Our Collective Responsibility

19. April 7, 2014 at 7:25 pm

20. 93 globalcitizenlinda
    April 7, 2014 at 7:41 pm

may be it is only my computer which is mis-behaving;

but I seem to have missed the comment and link at the end of a blog post which indicates a new post is now up;

well, at least I have finally stopped talking to my self!

21. April 7, 2014 at 7:44 pm

22. 95 Vicki
    April 7, 2014 at 7:45 pm

My local NY1 station is discussing the ACA as if it is going to work is an open question.
    At the same time they are reporting that the signup in NYState has risen 100,000 since March 31 and is expected to top out by April 15 at One Million Enrollments!
    So, What’s the question?
    Linda up-thread asked why Medicare Advantage cuts have been restored.

Perhaps the answer to Linda and me is the same: anything and everything has been and will be done to assure that Obamacare is forever, because the Opposition is trying so hard to find any opening to injure it.

23. April 7, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Okay, that bizarroooooo Twitter person I mentioned the other day is baaaack – I think this is his 87,256th account

:???:

24. 107 carolyn
    April 7, 2014 at 7:47 pm

On the previous post, I referred to the young people in the picture as The Obama Generation. They are so fortunate to be coming of age during this Presidency, with him as the standard for a president. No scandals, no wars, no lies, caring for all of us, and very much for them…..what a contrast to coming of age during the Bush horror! These people have hope and joy in in their faces. I’m so thankful for him for so many reasons, and one is his influence on young people. They will make a positive difference. They have the best role model.

April 7, 2014 at 8:26 pm

‘(This white background is much better for typing for me. With the other background, the letters stopped and I had to go back frequently and retype. This is much better for me. Thank you.)’

O Carolyn, you cannot hide this vital information at the end! This needs top billing! ;)

25. 109 Dudette
    April 7, 2014 at 7:49 pm

H/T to Donna for posting that tweet earlier about Bobby Jindal trying to
    squash MoveOn’s billboard protesting his rejection of Medicaid expansion funds. Instead a federal judge squashed Bobby. I hope MoveOn (or any group) does the same thing in Georgia!

26. April 7, 2014 at 7:49 pm

April 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Democratic candidate, Leticia VanDePutte (Tx) (Being introduced by JuanitaJean – follow the link to get the full story.)

Yesterday evening, my personal favorite statewide Democratic candidate, Leticia VanDePutte, came by our Democratic Headquarters to speak. I love all our candidates, but Leticia is a wonderment. She spoke to a standing room only crowd.

(snip)

In the speech, I refer to the 23 words. For you people from foreign states, here they are:

“At what point must a female senator raise her hand or her voice to be recognized over the male colleagues in the room?”

Steal at will because everyone across Texas should know these true words about Leticia.

“The night of the filibuster, those of us watching were bowled over when Leticia took the microphone and asked the question that no woman in Texas will ever forget. She spoke for me, your grandmother, your sister, and most importantly, your daughter. She spoke for every woman in Texas.

For me, I will remember her question that night because she was the one who turned the filibuster over to the people. It was in response to her simple question – with only 23 words – that the gallery went wild.

(snip)

She is Leticia Van De Putte, and the point is NOW!
    …………………………………..//

28. 113 dotster3
    April 7, 2014 at 7:57 pm

This is just horribly sad. Kindergarteners ask to meet with In. mayor because of shooting in their neighborhoods. They ask the mayor if he can make the shooting stop, that they’re scared. They are told what to do when shooting starts——get on the floor, get behind a chair, have parents call 911 etc. I can’t believe this is happening in this country.

29. 114 Dudette
    April 7, 2014 at 8:03 pm

• April 7, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Wow, the Parti Quebecois is taking a shellacking.

• 116 Lovepolitics2008
        April 7, 2014 at 8:54 pm

People from Quebec want lots of autonomy but a majority doesn’t want to be independent from Canada. Independence ( with some sort of economic association with Canada) only polls 40% max.

As long as Parti Québécois doesn’t talk about Independence, they get many votes; they are the center-left party, and they’re pretty competent. Problem for them is always their constitutional agenda. An agenda that was put back at the forefront because of a “star” candidate who was recruited and did a big speech at the beginning of the campaign. Changed the conversation and hurt the chances of the Parti Québécois.

Parti Québécois was elected because of a couple of scandals that affected the Liberal party. With a new leader in the Liberal party, the Québec people have chosen to put back liberals in power.

• 117 99ts
      April 7, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Why are democracies so keen to elect “fiscal conservatives” – is it simply money buying elections? or do the majority really hate governments that support those at the lower economic levels. I find the trend revolting – given that those “fiscal conservatives” brought us to the brink in 2007/8 – and only those with governments to the left recovered from same.

30. 118 Dudette
    April 7, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Truth!

31. April 7, 2014 at 8:07 pm

32. 120 Vicki
    April 7, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Michael Steele speaking to Ari is refusing to accept Obamacare numbers.
    He is starting to sound like Karl Rove on Election Night.

It is going to be a long seven months for the GOP if they keep us this charade.

April 7, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Actually, Vicki, I hope they keep it up for the entire seven months. Tiresome it will be for sure, but oh so revealing for those getting care they probably never thought they’d get at a reasonable price.

April 7, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Whenever you want to know what’s happening politically in Texas, take a quick peek at JuanitaJean’s blog.

“Oops!” Long Story, Charming News! April 4/2014

There’s a back story that you folks from foreign states don’t know. It goes like this.

The Travis County District Attorney is in charge of prosecuting public integrity in the state of Texas. If a public official anywhere in the state commits a crime, the Travis County DA can prosecute it. An example of this would be Tom DeLay.

Since it should not fall solely on the tax burden of the good people of Travis County, funding the public integrity unit is funded by the state of Texas.

The current Travis County DA, Rosemary Lehmberg, caught herself a DWI early last year. She admitted guilt and spent 45 days in jail, paid a fine and had her law license suspended for 90 days – a punishment much tougher than any other first time DWI offender. Lehmberg is a Democrat. If she were to resign, Governor Rick Perry would appoint her successor. The last damn thing this state needs is a Republican government and a Republican making them behave. Cahooting would become our official state pastime.

Lehmberg refused to resign. The Republicans tried to make her by suing in civil court to have her removed. They lost.

Now is when it gets really good.

Governor Rick Perry threatened her. Last summer, Rick announced that either Lehmberg step down or he would veto funds to keep the public integrity unity open. I’m gonna remind you that this was on the heels of accusations that the Lt. Governor of Texas, a Republican, falsified a time stamp during the Wendy Davis filibuster.

Since Perry got beat in court under the rule of law, he took the fight to the street by the rule of bully.
    ……………………………..//

Follow the link for the rest of the story.

34. 123 Dudette
    April 7, 2014 at 8:22 pm

35. 124 Dudette
    April 7, 2014 at 8:31 pm

36. 126 Dudette
    April 7, 2014 at 8:36 pm

37. 127 Nena20409
    April 7, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Jay’s presser today. All of it.

38. 128 Nena20409
    April 7, 2014 at 8:42 pm

I am neutral with the new change.

Perhaps, a duller color, off white……maybe grayish might be more soothing for the eyes.
    >-I

39. 129 Nena20409
    April 7, 2014 at 8:43 pm

Congrats on your Gold VC.

40. 130 0388jojothecat
    April 7, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Preetinder Singh “Preet” Bharara – the Federal Prosecutor going after Chrispy Crème. This guy is NO JOKE…..he prosecuted and won convictions 80 – 0 of Wall Street cheats. I feel between David Wildstein talking to the feds combined with a no-nonsense prosecutor Chris Christie is toast.

RSS Steve Benen