Apr

Schadenfreude – The Meal Of The Day

usa-obama

Bloomberg: House Republicans To Delay Obamacare Replacement Plan Rollout

House Republicans are delaying by at least a month unveiling their alternative proposal to Obamacare, according to lawmakers and aides involved in the process. The issue is one of “policy, trying to get it all together,” House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy said in an interview. Republicans had said they would unveil the outlines of their plan to replace the 2010 health-care law over the two-week congressional break in mid-April at town hall meetings with constituents.

They are seeking to draft what could be several bills to replace President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act. Instead, a Republican leadership aide said the rollout will occur possibly in May or June. Republican leaders are set to meet later this week to discuss the rollout, McCarthy and Conference Chairman Cathy McMorris Rodgers said. Republicans have held more than 50 votes to repeal, defund or roll back the law since taking majority control of the U.S. House in 2011.

More here

2012 White House Correspondents' Association Dinner

145 Responses to “Schadenfreude – The Meal Of The Day”

April 8, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Hi, there!

2. 2 donna dem 4 obama
    April 8, 2014 at 12:51 pm

• April 8, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Donna, to add insult to injury…….this moron started texting back & forth w/ an anonymous person about getting caught!!!!

• 4 donna dem 4 obama
        April 8, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Wow! What an idiot but he’ll probably be re-elected because you know… FREEDOM! :(

• April 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm

This is the Duck Dynasty candidate…… won his primary on Willie’s endorsement video…….thus the domino’s of GOP’ers falling over themselves to get the proverbial blessing as well….. There is a new moron about to join the fray as well. Some RW from the reality show ‘Southern Charm’ says he will run as an independent if Lindsey Graham wing GOP primary.

• 6 dee
            April 8, 2014 at 3:35 pm

This is my congressman. He campaigned on being an advocate for all the citizens in our district. He was the candidate who beat the “preferred” establishment in a “top two winners” election. Our dem mayor came in third, and supported him in the run off, because he said he would not just vote party line, in Congress. Sad how “Christian values”, never seem to pertain to a congressperson, when he is the one sinning.

• April 8, 2014 at 3:43 pm

This story makes your exact point re: him beating the GOP establishment… hinting that they leaked this

and to your “Christian values” point…. the husband of the staffer has some choice words

April 8, 2014 at 3:49 pm

He’ll be elected because of his candor, and because he asked forgiveness (if he hasn’t done that yet, I suspect he soon will). Do what you want, make the most of your sinning, and ask for forgiveness when caught. If you are contrite enough (and white?) the GOPs…oops…. christians…will forgive you. Also, I bet you that woman tempted him – women do, you know. That’s why she had to be fired. Removing the temptation and all that. :roll:

• 9 99ts
            April 8, 2014 at 6:27 pm

The woman ALWAYS take the blame – more slut shaming – and the woman is unemployed and perhaps heading for a divorce – but McAllister – refound his religion and still has his government job.

April 8, 2014 at 6:36 pm

And I’m inclined to think that Republican/christian women would be the first to entertain the ‘slut’ thought. Results like the firing makes me wonder if the women participating in the ‘love fest’ ever consider this possibility BEFORE they act.

OTH (because I think of things weirdly more often than not), I think about the hypocrisy of these married holier-than-thou women who are willing participants in these sleazy affairs. Don’t they respect themselves, or their family?

• 11 99ts
                April 8, 2014 at 6:48 pm

I NEVER think of your OTH – too many men see women in the work place as an easy hit – and deny it when they are caught. Men will always blame women for their failure – be it achievement wise or any other way – and sadly too many women accept that blame.

The women who upset me are those who “stand behind” the sleazy husbands and continue to vote for the GOP who treat them as 2nd rate citizens.

April 8, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Yeah, the ‘stand behind’ women generally upset me too, mainly because I think they lack self-respect. However, I also do think there are many women genuinely comfortable with being 2nd rate citizens – especially those whose 1st rate citizen partners are great ‘breadwinners’.
                  ;) I have a vague memory of you and I having a similar discussion previously. I don’t think we will agree; fact is I have this strong belief that even if ‘men see women in the work place as an easy hit’, there’s nothing preventing us from stepping out of the way of the hit, or slapping their faces. IMO we shouldn’t blame men exclusively, just as they shouldn’t blame women exclusively.

• 13 99ts
                    April 8, 2014 at 7:19 pm

We’ll have to disagree – I’ll put it down to you being a “young ‘un” who never worked in a work place where they only way forward was to play the coquette to the male bosses & maybe get caught in a place one doesn’t want to be.

Standing up to them or slapping their faces too often results in no job.

It is the best interest of men to blame & shame women when they should be blaming and shaming themselves.

April 8, 2014 at 7:48 pm

I have to confess that a part of my perspective does arise from the fact that I never got the coquette lessons, and I’ve, to date, never wanted to go forward badly enough to play to, or for, any bosses. I was telling LPlains not too long ago that I’m blessed, and though I don’t think of it often, I’m generally surprised when I do – it really is true! :) :)

• 15 99ts
                      April 8, 2014 at 8:18 pm

I’m glad most of that has disappeared – sadly there are too many men who still think that way towards the women in their office – I came from the mixed female generation who very much wanted to be in the workplace but were still feeling the guilt because “women, home, babies”

It is difficult to fully throw off one’s past & I still feel for women who become victims in their work places regardless as to whether or not “they asked for it”

Thanks for the discussion – it is how we modify our current or outdated thoughts – lack of sane discussion is what has made the current congress such a disaster to the US and its people.

• April 8, 2014 at 1:10 pm

• 17 MightyPamela
        April 8, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Well, he’s ugly. There are quite enough ugly GOP on the hill already. Enough. It’s a sham and a disgrace.

• April 8, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Secretary of State John Kerry is warning Russia of harsher economic sanctions if it doesn’t back down from involvement in Ukraine.

“Kerry, who was testifying Tuesday before a Senate panel, said pro-Russia demonstrators at regional government headquarters in Kharkiv and the Donetsk regional administration was a contrived pretext for military intervention.

“These efforts are as ham-handed as they are transparent, and quite simply what we see from Russia is illegal and illegitimate effort to destabilize a sovereign state and create a contrived crisis,” Kerry said. “Russia’s clear and unmistakable involvement in destabilizing and engaging in separatists activities in Ukraine is deeply disturbing.”

clip

Kerry said he would meet next week in Europe with Russia Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and Ukrainian officials. He urged Russia to choose a diplomatic path forward.

“Russia has a choice: to work with the international community to help build an independent Ukraine that could be a bridge between the east and west, not a tug of war…or they could face greater isolation and pay the cost for their failure to see that the world is not a zero sum game,” Kerry said.”

3. April 8, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Nerdy, the photos are toooooooooooo perfect!!!! Thank you legend!

• 21 Nerdy Wonka
      April 8, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Aren’t they just? President Obama knows how to give that good game face that’s perfect for many situations. The difficulty lies in narrowing it down to one or two. :)

April 8, 2014 at 12:54 pm

5. 23 Nerdy Wonka
    April 8, 2014 at 12:55 pm

6. April 8, 2014 at 12:55 pm

April 8, 2014 at 12:55 pm

Nancy Smash!

April 8, 2014 at 12:56 pm

I think Jim missed why TOD was negative about Chait’s piece. No, Chait wasn’t simply talking about RWNJ’s. He was glossing over the racial aspect of the GOP’s treatment of PBO and opposition to his policies.

April 8, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Scalia on Drugs:

10. April 8, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Hmm.. it seems to me that their “plan” is “we’ll pick and choose some things already in the bill, we’ll pull a few more vague promises out of our butts, and call it a job-creating alternative to Obamacare! Just don’t ask for real details on it.” :roll:

11. 38 Ladyhawke
    April 8, 2014 at 12:59 pm

The first question out of the gate from jackal Julie Pace of the AP is why did President Obama make partisan remarks at the Equal Pay event. True to form. The question could have been asked by Boehner’s press secretary. Unbelievable.

April 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm

13. April 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm

14. April 8, 2014 at 1:02 pm

• 43 donna dem 4 obama
      April 8, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I love her she is always very animated (and a fierce dresser). She was very excited last week at the announcement of the 7.1 Million Obamacare enrollees.

April 8, 2014 at 1:06 pm

• April 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Looks to me like Ryan is positioning himself for 2016. :roll: Of course the best way to stop that is to kick him out of the House. That way he can look for the first non-government job he’s ever had.

April 8, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I don’t like wishing bad things on people, but I passively look forward to the days when Ryan is fired from any subsequent non-government job and is unable to pick up unemployment compensation – and must enjoy Thanksgiving dinner at a soup kitchen. Or any scenario like that.

• April 8, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Unfortunately for us, but fortunately for him, he comes from a wealthy family and he can look forward to a nice government pension. :sad: One of the things that got pointed out in his “poor child who lost his father” narrative was that his father was a part-owner of a very big construction firm (family business), and as a result he was able to save his SS survivor’s check to pay for college.

April 8, 2014 at 1:43 pm

I forgot about the pension. Yuck. But I do recall the SS survivor funds, and, of course, he’d like to see all future benefits FOR OTHERS pulled back ~ for no good reason. Typical and horrendous.

• 50 Linda
            April 8, 2014 at 2:45 pm

They made all that money from Government Contracts……( one being O’Hare Airport )

• 51 MightyPamela
          April 8, 2014 at 4:10 pm

He married into a wealthy democratic family didn’t he?

• 54 MightyPamela
        April 8, 2014 at 4:08 pm

He doesn’t know how to work!! His resume must be deplorable!

• 55 Lovepolitics2008
        April 8, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I’m not sure I want him gone. He comes off as arrogant, and has no charisma. And his discourse is always concentrated on negative values, on how American CAN’T do things. He is very bad at the aspirational language. Not sure he would be a very strong candidate.

16. April 8, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Ummmmm…….

but we can always count on Sheldon for sound advice

God help Sec. Kerry

April 8, 2014 at 1:30 pm

Where is Adelson any better then that former nutty leader of Iran? Yea how about start a nuclear war.

• 58 Nena20409
      April 8, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Now what would happen if a prominent Billionaire who is Muslin had made those comments?

Fox, CNN and the rest of the US media will be on this for days.

• April 8, 2014 at 1:43 pm

You know, there’s this place near White Sands called “the Trinity site” which would be a terrific place for him to live. Or maybe a nice Pacific island, like Kwajalein.

• 64 jackiegrumbacher
      April 8, 2014 at 2:17 pm

LP, Adelson proves once again that all the money in the world can buy you sense, humanity or class. These are the words of a witless brute and should be treated as such.

• 65 Lovepolitics2008
      April 8, 2014 at 4:56 pm

The Koch Brothers are not the only ones who deserve scrutiny. Adelson is another one. American voters need to know everything about his agenda too.

17. April 8, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Welp, I just impressed 2 bigwigs from library headquarters. I rock.

18. 70 Nena20409
    April 8, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Chait should also tell Us why AG Reic Holder is treated as he has been by Elected GOP in Congress and why Dr. Susan Rice was called Not Bright by John McCain who graduated 4th from the bottom of 900 plus Cadets at West Point?

Nothing to do with ODS/Racism/Disrespect of a POTUS with different pigmentation?

April 8, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Exactly -this the FIRST time, I’ve seen the AG of an administration come under relentless attack from the opposition as well as from members of his own party. I don’t even know (remember) the names of AG’s from previous administrations; they were never in the news; they were never the subject of manufactured scandals from the opposition. The so-called “left” never harassed a DEM AG to the point of calling for his resignation over a crappy media article.

April 8, 2014 at 1:35 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if Holder doesn’t retire, I hope he doesn’t, but who want to keep putting up with B.S. like that.

• 73 Lovepolitics2008
        April 8, 2014 at 5:02 pm

I think Eric Holder has had a little health scare a few months ago. I’ve been concerned for him ever since. He’s doing a tough job and has taken lots of crap. If he retires it will be because he needs rest.

Another one who I’m concerned about is Senator Reid. He too was taken in the hospital once, and it was said he was very exhausted. Shortly after, the republican senators behaved a little better for a few days. I really sensed they felt ashamed at what they had put Senator Reid through with their games.

• 74 Linda
      April 8, 2014 at 2:32 pm

“The attorney general will not cast aspersions on my asparagus,” he famously proclaimed last year.

Holder made hay of the widely mocked malapropism on Tuesday by wishing Gohmert “good luck with your asparagus.”

19. April 8, 2014 at 1:25 pm

20. 76 anniebella
    April 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter and ex- Senator Elizabeth Dole will join First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden at the White House Friday to make announcement about support for the caregivers of wounded service members and veterans.

21. 77 57andfemale
    April 8, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Hey TOD family,I need some help (totally OT):

I have to maneuver some very difficult political waters at work. I must be calm, focused, dispassionate when presenting my case. It’s difficult when trying to make this case to a batshit crazy boss who (1) does not speak English as a first language; and (2) is a serious control freak.

My job could very well be on the line and there are other implications that are very, very serious.

I need prayers, positive energy or whatever you are willing to give. I try to say, “Peace, be still” but I can’t rid my stomach of the knots.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 78 Nerdy Wonka
      April 8, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Sending you good vibes and just keep breathing in and out and think calm thoughts.

• 79 Judith Fardig
      April 8, 2014 at 1:37 pm

57 and female, use your breathing to calm yourself, and visualize all of us standing behind you. XOXO

• 80 57andfemale
        April 8, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Thanks. The breathing I was already trying to do. Visualizing all of you behind me – that makes me powerful.

• 81 Nena20409
      April 8, 2014 at 1:42 pm

I hope that your presentation is before others so you may have witnesses.

Good Luck and with calmness, logic and reason a great many of tensions are eased.

April 8, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Hang in there 57. Sending positive vibes your way, and we’re wishing you the best outcome possible. (((((((57))))).

• April 8, 2014 at 1:58 pm

57, hang in there, you’ll make it through.

• 84 jackiegrumbacher
      April 8, 2014 at 2:15 pm

57, many of us have been there. I remember many a difficult time when I would have to deliver a difficult situation up in prayer in order to have the strength to move forward. We will be rooting for you .

• 85 Dakota
      April 8, 2014 at 2:36 pm

Sending you blessings of peace, strength, courage and most of all love. You will navigate these difficult waters calmly and most of all, expertly. We’re all with you.

• 87 57andfemale
      April 8, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Thanks to everyone!

• 89 57andfemale
        April 8, 2014 at 4:49 pm

When ‘breathing’ doesn’t center me, I turn to my friends for help!
        You good wishes are always treasured, my friend.

• 90 Lovepolitics2008
      April 8, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Sending you lots of good vibes !

• 91 globalcitizenlinda
      April 8, 2014 at 5:48 pm

wishing you all the best!

things will work out;

my resolution this year and going forward is to always ask myself : => what positive (and often not obvious) opportunity does this current challenge in my life present?

this helps me try to focus on the possibilities and dispel the fear (at least temporarily)

• 93 Dudette
      April 8, 2014 at 7:27 pm

It’s a test! Focus on what you can control (your actions, your energy & your thoughts). Visualize yourself triumphing over everything that’s thrown at you. What would the person you most admire do? Don’t get mad, get rad! :-)

We’re right there w/ you!

22. 94 anniebella
    April 8, 2014 at 1:42 pm

Bill Clinton, G.W. Bush at the NCAA Men Championship game last night ( UConn-Kentucky) . With that sorry piece of crap owner of the Dallas Cowboys Jerry Jones.

23. April 8, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I would have been disappointed if this did not come to fruition:

Chips…..time to bust out the TOD WHPC front row stock photo……..look in the mirror fellas!

• 97 Nena20409
      April 8, 2014 at 2:05 pm

Easy question for those who are okay with denying equal pay for the same job.

Woul you like for your daughter, wife, mother, grand-ma, auntie, mother-in-law…..no matter how unpleasant she maybe, sister girl-friend be paid less for doing the same job as Men?

Condescending a GOPer congresswoman said. Then would she want her pay be less from what say, Rep Gohmert from TX makes?

• 98 Nena20409
      April 8, 2014 at 2:32 pm

The Fox Blonde woman on her Confusion of NAACP and NCAA was Foretold by the SLN last Saturday.

Wow……

Even with that mocking and the Reality was so predictable.

• April 8, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Good news…….. Mark Knoller is on the case

and EUREKA the made up trope the news orgs will run with…. (notice *estimated*) is his reference point

24. April 8, 2014 at 2:05 pm

25. 105 Nena20409
    April 8, 2014 at 2:16 pm

C-SPAN.org Jay’s presser video is up already

26. 109 symmetry11
    April 8, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Hey guys….I am asking for your help. Please see the email I just received…..

Will everyone click to tweet this so we can advocate to send one of our best fellows to Chicago for an amazing Digital Organizing Mentorship program?
    She’ll bring those great skills back to expand digital organizing in Tennessee!

Tennessee is ready to expand digital advocacy! Please pick @OFA_TN fellow @symmetry11 for the Digital Mentorship @DH_Cohen @JonCarsonOFA!

Please ask all your vols and fellows to tweet as well! Tunisia has been the most leaned in digital fellow in TN… keeping #OFAknox leading the state for weeks and doing several local digital trainings for volunteers. Really great and leaned in work.. Let’s all pitch in and raise our voices to get her to Chicago for our state!

Justin Wilkins
    Tennessee State Coordinator | Organizing for Action

27. 120 Alycee (@jazziz2)
    April 8, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Livestream of Civil Rights Summit

28. 125 Linda
    April 8, 2014 at 3:35 pm

Kerry And McCain Swap Teddy Roosevelt-Themed Insults (VIDEO)

Ouch !!!!!

• 126 Lovepolitics2008
      April 8, 2014 at 5:07 pm

John Kerry used to call John McCain “a friend”. I guess that the past years have been eye-opening for Mr. Kerry….

29. 127 Linda
    April 8, 2014 at 3:57 pm

” Splashy Whitehouse Event ” ?

Talking to Marco Rubio about pay disparity ?

hahahahaha

Whitehouse women gets 88 cents on the Dollar ?

What a hack you are.

I cannot wait for your show when you get in to the details. Which private company has a Federal pay scale and grading system, Jake ?

Stop treating the American People like they are Stupid……It is YOUR party that still holds the Top Spot in that arena.

—-

The above is my e-mail to Jake Tapper after he just teased his show.

• 128 japa21
      April 8, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Notice the term is aggregate, which means not comparing equal job to equal job. If you took all the women at the WH and averaged their pay and all the men at the WH and averaged their pay, then the women would average out to 88 cents for every dollar the men earn on an hourly basis.

However, that is not a statement that for doing the same work women are paid 88 cents for every dollar the men make. Wrong comparisons. That is like saying a CEO earns 3 million and the ten employees make 50,000 each therfore the average income in the company is 318,000. While true, it gives a false picture.

• 129 57andfemale
        April 8, 2014 at 5:16 pm

So if you had a female VPOTUS, she would make 88% of what a male VPOTUS would make.

Use your heads, you idiots.

• 130 Ladyhawke
      April 8, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Apparently, the Pay Equity event at the White House today was too much for the jackals and the media to bear. President Obama was surrounded by adoring women. He forcefully made the case for pay equity and he took some time to call out the GOP for their intransigence (oh the horror). Best of all, he was introduced by non other than Lily Ledbetter.

At the press briefing today, the jackals were desperate to find something negative about the issue. There was a flurry of snarky, gotcha questions that discounted the WH gender gap numbers. It was embarrassing. Jay said he hoped they would keep questioning and debating the pay equity issue until congress passed the Paycheck Fairness Act.

April 8, 2014 at 4:28 pm

May she RIP.

31. 136 Gazelle
    April 8, 2014 at 4:33 pm

[So that's what it's called now, huh? LOL! ;) ]

Rep. Vance McAllister’s (R-LA) campaign paid the female staffer he was caught on camera kissing $300 as “reimbursement for headquarter cleaning,” the Washington Post reports.

32. 137 Nena20409
    April 8, 2014 at 4:34 pm

The long-awaited Rand Corp. study of Obamacare’s effect on health insurance coverage was released Tuesday and confirmed the numbers that had been telegraphed for more than a week: At least 9.3 million more Americans have health insurance now than in September 2013, virtually all of them as a result of the law.
    That’s a net figure, accommodating all those who lost their individual health insurance because of cancellations. The Rand study confirms other surveys that placed the number of people who lost their old insurance and did not or could not replace it — the focus of an enormous volume of anti-Obamacare rhetoric — at less than 1 million. The Rand experts call this a “very small” number, less than 1% of the U.S. population age 18 to 64.
    The Rand study was eagerly anticipated in part because of the dearth of hard information from other sources, including the federal and state governments, which are still compiling their statistics and may not have a full slate for months.

• 138 jackiegrumbacher
      April 8, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Nena, this important study will be buried and made-up nonsense about the president’s unfairness to Republicans on fair pay will be center stage.

33. 139 Linda
    April 8, 2014 at 4:40 pm

hhahahahahahahaha

34. 140 57andfemale
    April 8, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Wake up amk! There’s some ‘bug’ and no one is supposed to buy anything off the internet or do any internet banking for the next few days?

Wow, as I type that I sound like I’m wearing a tinfoil hat.

Is that why my curling iron sparked at me this morning?

35. 144 Ladyhawke
    April 8, 2014 at 5:10 pm

What not to say on Equal Pay Day

By Steve Benen

———————————

Republican opponents of equal-pay measures have known for weeks that today was coming. It’s a punch that Democrats were only too pleased to telegraph – they planned to use Equal Pay Day to highlight the fact that women in the U.S. workforce don’t receive equal pay for equal work, and Dems are prepared to do something about it.
    But even putting aside these relevant details, if Cantor thinks it’s a “problem” when women earn less than men, why is it that he and his party are so unyielding in their opposition to measures like the Paycheck Fairness Act and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act?

Pointing to a pay gap as a reason to ignore pay gaps is incoherent.

—————————————