Apr

The President and Vice President’s Day

f9844976f1d48d0e510f6a7067009f23_original

President Barack Obama is introduced by Vice President Joe Biden as he arrives at the Community College of Allegheny County West Hills Center in Oakdale, Pa., The visit was to announce $600M in grants as part of the administration’s Opportunity for All program to train the work force for careers in fields with a growing demand.

6e155495f1888c0e510f6a706700a912

28996ef7f1cf8d0e510f6a7067004a30

7cdcdb6ef1d88d0e510f6a706700eb18

Washington Post: Obama Announces $600M In Grant Programs To Prepare Workforce For Jobs

President Obama on Wednesday announced a pair of grant programs designed to bring academic institutions and businesses closer together to help prepare the American workforce for jobs that may otherwise go unfilled. The grant programs total $600 million, money already in the federal budget. The decision to designate the money for these grants arose from a review of federal jobs programs by Vice President Biden, who joined Obama at a community college here outside Pittsburgh to make the announcement. The grant programs Obama announced fall into two categories. The first, to which $500 million is being dedicated, is a competitive process that seeks the best programs linking community colleges with businesses.

The idea is to expand the programs nationally, in part by linking them with industry associations. The other is also competitive and provides $100 million in grants to expand apprentice programs across the country. The United States has far fewer apprentice positions than do European nations, which look to on-the-job training as vital to maintaining capable workforces. Because the money has already been allocated, the grant programs allow the president to bypass a divided Congress, as Obama has made clear he intends to do when he thinks it necessary.

More here

93cac17ef1d38d0e510f6a7067004ed9

96236e4df1c98d0e510f6a7067008fcd

President Barack Obama tours a classroom with Paul Blackford, instructor of the Mechatronics Program, at Community College of Allegheny County West Hills Center

2014-04-16T205338Z_197212142_GM1EA4H0DIM01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

2014-04-16T205505Z_95158958_GM1EA4H0DKN01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

f7db1e6af1c98d0e510f6a7067001b8e

2014-04-16T201056Z_1915977869_GM1EA4H0BIY01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

President Barack Obama and Vice President Joseph Biden tour the Community College of Allegheny West Hills Center with students in the Mechatronics program

20321b9bf1978c0e510f6a7067001a22

4bbe5159f1ad8c0e510f6a7067002edc

2014-04-16T210043Z_1890168843_GM1EA4H0DTJ01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

15a0e791f17a8c0e510f6a706700c6a2

2014-04-16T205739Z_1308561175_GM1EA4H0DN301_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

2014-04-16T205225Z_32742942_GM1EA4H0DG001_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

104 Responses to “The President and Vice President’s Day”

April 16, 2014 at 8:27 pm

:cool:

April 16, 2014 at 8:32 pm

RATTLE Bang crack POP BOOM Clang SMASH THUD CRASH!

That’s the sound of a media person’s head exploding as they lurk and watch the first picture and feel hate… Perhaps Chuck Todd, or Andrea Mitchell or Chris Cillizza.

• 13 carolyn
      April 16, 2014 at 9:41 pm

There has never been a POTUS/VP team like these two! Mutual respect and admiration, co-operation……we are so blessed!

3. April 16, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Nerdy, I missed the speeches and everything today, which is why I love ya even more than usual for this post – thank you, you ridiculously awesome majestic human cheesy puff.

4. 17 Nerdy Wonka
    April 16, 2014 at 8:38 pm

In Case Anyone Missed It: Dr. Jill Biden on the Today Show.

April 16, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Awesome! Thanks NW for posting, though the writer was apparently also thinking of the Obama clan while writing the article. :) :)

“I loved his two sons Bo and Hunter,” Dr. Biden said.

April 16, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Thanks, Ms Wonka. Some interviewers do a great job, and you hardly know they are there, in a sense. Others…. well, let’s just say they hurt my ears.

April 16, 2014 at 8:43 pm

HAHAHAHAhahaha

April 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm
  7. April 16, 2014 at 8:51 pm

So, my missus has been caring for a particular gentleman for the past couple of days. He passed away today close to the end of her shift, so she had to stay over. Apparently, over the short span of these 2 days, the family has fallen in love with her. As she was leaving, the widow insisted she take $100. The missus, of course, said she couldn’t, and tried to get out of it, but the widow was insistent, saying her husband would have wanted her to have the money. So, yeah, that’s my baby.

April 16, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Awww…LL that’s so sweet. No kind deed goes unnoticed…Mrs. LL sure does her Mr. proud :)

• April 16, 2014 at 9:15 pm

That is a lovely story, And *slightly* off the topic on a lighter note, I thought you might appreciate this:

• April 16, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Wow! Suddenly I’m able to see tweets again! I run Chrome and I haven’t been seeing them for months.

• April 16, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Yeah, Chrome is problematic for displaying twitpic photos.

It’s hit or miss for me on Twitter.com, but TODville informed me that refreshing the page usually prompts tweeted photos to appear on this site.

It’s frustrating to have no idea what TODville finds so amusing or adorable or despicable when you can’t see the pic!

• April 16, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I had no problem for the longest time, and then no matter what I did, I got the grey box. I’m glad it’s back – frustrating is the word!

• 33 globalcitizenlinda
      April 16, 2014 at 9:41 pm

grateful to her and all the healthcare workers and care-givers who make such a difference in so many people’s lives

April 16, 2014 at 9:00 pm
  9. April 16, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Thank you, NWonka, for another great post to keep TODville up-to-date on today’s goings on.

So glad that Chips has a reliable and tireless BT to keep the home fires burning. Very grateful to you, all the BTs and of course, the Head BT herself.

Saw that you posted @VP’s Instagram tweet announcement.

Did you see this from the White House?

April 16, 2014 at 9:06 pm

LL – I just happened to be privy to a brief & heartwarming Twitter exchange about Librarians – so I thought I would post (a part of) it here: :) :)

11. 41 Nerdy Wonka
    April 16, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Twitter will never have a cooler moment. POTUS and VPOTUS selfie!!!!!!!!

• 42 globalcitizenlinda
      April 16, 2014 at 10:05 pm

nice!

selfie has been in circulation for less than an hour and it already has these number of retweets and favs!!!

12. April 16, 2014 at 9:28 pm
  13. April 16, 2014 at 9:31 pm
  14. April 16, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Executive pay has really gotten out of control.

I’m doubtful that any one person is worth $20 million a year, but approaching $100 million a year is a waste of money.

• 50 99ts
      April 16, 2014 at 9:50 pm

I doubt that anyone on a salary is worth more than one million a year. Being an executive officer of a company is VERY different to being an owner of a company. Those entrepreneurs of times past took the risks – today they all risk “other folks money”. Society has shown its most horrible side when such people think they “earn” what they are paid.

• April 16, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Couldn’t agree more with you, 99ts.

Shareholders set the salaries based on what other companies pay, so that’s why CEO pay has skyrocketed over the past 20 years or so.

Yahoo seems like such a third wheel in the tech world, can’t believe they pay their CEO $68 million. If CEOs paid their fair share in taxes we’d have huge infrastructures (like bridges, freeways or public spaces) named after them.

• 52 99ts
          April 16, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I don’t think the salaries are set by the shareholders – unless we call those who manage share related investment funds shareholders. I have my retirement invested in such a fund & I get no say whatever – but the fund managers love to earn the big $$$ so if they vote to pay the $$$ to the CEOs – they can demand more for themselves.

My very first job – the CEO earned about 10 times my salary (now it would be 1000 times) – how things have changed – sadly not for the better.

Your tax analogy is perfect – if the pay of a CEO was shared between 1000 people – the tax paid would massively increase – so the top 1% getting the money has a massive impact on government funding – and they pretend they are taxed so much – pffft

April 16, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Have I mentioned today that I love Joe Biden? Oh, and, that younger guy, HIS BOSS! Love them.

16. April 16, 2014 at 9:38 pm

Come on, people! Let’s see if we can beat Ellen!!

17. April 16, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Ooooooh crikey. Left the back door open so Danny could go out to do his pee-pees, he came back in, fell asleep, so I go to close back door, and there’s a friggin’ fox in the house eating Danny’s food. And Danny slept through the whole thing.

Heart —-> thumpety thumpety thump.

18. April 16, 2014 at 9:42 pm

This article looks like a promotional piece for Honda (whose product line appears prominently in this article) but check out what this robot can do! (See video in the article linked to in this tweet.)

Honda has skirted the “Uncanny Valley” problem of too-realistic non-human humans (animation, robots, etc.) by making their robot look like a suited astronaut.

19. 62 anniebella
    April 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Remember all the talk in the 2012 election about POTUS replacing VP Biden with Hillary. I knew that would never happen because President Obama trust and respect VP Biden and VP Biden trust and respect President Obama, plus the family like each other too. FLOTUS and Dr. Biden and Sasha plays basketball with VP Biden’s granddaughter.

20. April 16, 2014 at 9:48 pm

The situation in Ukraine is truly unfortunate, with Russia’s primary motivation to destroy a functioning government there by instigating a civil war. Not much in the news about next month’s elections.

Here’s a couple of tweets that link to the same article, which was published on Monday, April 14. The article provides plausible scenarios of how Russia’s aggression might unfold.

Of strategic importance of the Dnieper River (thin blue line which snakes to the east from Kiev, ending in the Black Sea just west of Odessa):
    “… opportunity to split the country in two, south and east of the Dnieper River.” As the map indicates, Russian forces are well-positioned to execute such a split.”

The article continues…
    “But Russia could go even further than that and carve out a ‘western corridor from Transnistria in Moldova into Crimea through Odessa and Mykolaiv Oblasts, which would encompass the historic city of Odessa itself.’ Such a move would create a southern arc of Russian territory in Ukraine, uniting the pro-Russian breakaway region of Transnistria with newly claimed Russian lands. (As my colleague Christian Caryl reports from Odessa, residents of that city aren’t exactly enthused at the prospect of incorporation into Russia.)”

One commenter (who sounds like a Ukrainian RWNJ) claims:
    “USA and Obama want to start a war in the Ukraine and finance the war. I live in the Ukraine and then everyone knows about it.
    and U.S. Senator John McCain said, ‘to give Ukraine a weapon’”

Here’s a map of Ukraine’s ground forces:

21. 65 Nerdy Wonka
    April 16, 2014 at 9:51 pm

You think the media can’t top itself in being disgusting and they prove you wrong.

22. April 16, 2014 at 9:51 pm
  23. 68 anniebella
    April 16, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Is there anymore info about the ferry collapsing in S.Korea?

• 69 Nerdy Wonka
      April 16, 2014 at 9:56 pm

An estimated 300 people are still missing.

Some people have been rescued and others are dead.

24. 70 Nerdy Wonka
    April 16, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Cool. More companies should follow their lead.

• April 16, 2014 at 10:08 pm

But most of the country can’t relate, right? Kind of like people on the West Coast knowing what Waffle House does. I’ve seen articles that FEMA does a first pass calamity assessment based on what Waffle Houses in the affected area are doing. I wonder if they’ve got an equivalent measurement tool for west of the Rockies.

• 72 TrumpDog
        April 16, 2014 at 10:54 pm

“They’ve always paid above-minimum wage, and they have such chipper, happy employees (one of their trademarks).

They do. My mom and sister eat there (I’m not a big burger eater). There is one near my home and we stopped off there before leaving the city on a long drive to Nevada. The drive up employees were VERY nice and so happy!

Then in Nevada, we went to another. In and Out Same thing. SOOOO nice and friendly.

25. 73 Nerdy Wonka
    April 16, 2014 at 9:58 pm

HEADS UP!

26. April 16, 2014 at 10:02 pm
    April 16, 2014 at 10:03 pm

My President must’ve had a wonderful evening last night with FLOTUS after the Passover guests had eaten and left….He’s absolutely glowing in a pic that Chips just posted on Twitter.

28. April 16, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Jake just can’t help himself…he wants to be best bud so badd!!

April 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm
    • April 16, 2014 at 10:16 pm
      • April 16, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I rely on TODville to keep me up to date on the themes that MSM beltway are tweeting, but my guess is that there was a deafening silence on the body language between PBO and Secretary Sebelius on Friday.

They both clearly adore each other, they can’t help themselves.

Another guess of mine is that Secretary Sebelius reminds PBO of his mother. Not that she’s old enough to be his mother — but since Ann Dunham tragically died at PBO’s current age, he only knew his mother at age 52 and younger.

If the MSM had dared mention this chemistry, it would have completely destroyed the narrative they were spinning about Sebelius’ resignation.

I hope she runs for Senate from Kansas and wins. She would be an enormous asset there for the remainder of the Obama Administration (and the first term for O’Malley or Biden?).

• 86 Ladyhawke
      April 16, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Pffff — Jake ‘The Snarl’ Tapper is the master at negativity.

April 16, 2014 at 10:20 pm

Where is the picture of the best buddies G.W. Bush and VP Cheney?

29. 90 Nerdy Wonka
    April 16, 2014 at 10:12 pm

The envy is eating him alive. Oh, what a wonderful sight to see.

30. 95 COS
    April 16, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Wow, Gov. Martinez of Mexico is Mitt Romney, Jr. Glad that she got caught on tape.

31. 100 daisydem
    April 16, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I love my President and his buddy Joe! Seriously I love these guys and their “selfie.” Re librarians and libraries: when I was 9 in the fourth grade at my elementary school, 1959, we had no library. My 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Ward decided to start one in the back of our classroom and she asked me to preside over it. (Confession: I was teacher’s pet probably because I finished all assignments very quickly so I could bury my head in a book. ). Middle school (Jr. High was not as comfortable) but I went on to spend 1-2.hours a day working in the library at my high school: Thank you Mrs. Nelson. So it is not surprising that my college financial pkg. included a student assistant position in ….yes, the library! I love libraries!!

32. 101 carolyn
    April 16, 2014 at 10:46 pm

Another library person here. Worked one hour a day in jr. high school library for Mrs. Van de Venter…..loved the work. Didn’t do it in high school, but worked in the college library all four years. It was a great place to work in a small college……pretty much the evening social center. We even had a small book bindery in the basement office.

I didn’t become a librarian, but a h.s. English teacher then college professor. I cannot imagine life without books. I always have a stack to read, and I love our city library. It is very good. The suburban branch I use is only five minutes away. It is always busy.

Librarians are important in the world. I always weep inside when I think of the libraries in the ancient world which were burned and destroyed by the invaders. Wish we had that knowledge……perhaps we could have avoided such dark ages!!!

33. April 16, 2014 at 10:51 pm

I’m behind, friends. What did Gov. Martinez get caught doing or saying? My daughter and her family are visiting — that’s why I’m not so informed.