Apr

The President And First Lady’s Day

President Obama visits with people in the crowd following the seventh annual Wounded Warrior Project’s Soldier Ride on the South Lawn of the White House, April 17, 2014 (Photo by Pete Souza)

One of the riders taking part in the Wounded Warrior Project’s Soldier Ride, with a President Obama bobblehead in his jersey, waits in the Diplomatic Reception Room of the White House, April 17, 2014. (Official White House Photo by David Lienemann)

See this post for more photos of the Wounded Warriors event

3bf16c6615aba40f510f6a706700080e

President Obama smiles as he announces that eight million have signed up for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act

130f4f231590a40f510f6a7067005d0c

Students cheer from their dorm room windows as they watch First Lady Michelle Obama take a tour of Howard University

fcbaec021594a40f510f6a7067008a43

First Lady Michelle Obama smiles at rapper Bow Wow at Howard University. The First Lady joined juniors and seniors from Chicago public high schools on the first day of their four-day visit to Howard University, as part of a program to immerse talented high school students in a college campus environment.

Helena Andrews: Michelle Obama and Bow Wow Spotted At Howard University

On Thursday, first lady Michelle Obama and rapper-slash-actor Bow Wow joined 37 students from Chicago public high schools for a tour of Howard University, our colleague Krissah Thompson reports. According to the first lady’s office, Obama specifically requested Bow Wow for the event, an annual college visit called “Escape to the Mecca” — a nod to the university’s nickname “the mecca.” “This isn’t bad,” Obama said as she stepped inside a dorm room in Frazier Hall where one enterprising student had the perfect product placement on her desk: a portfolio and résumé.

During the sneak peek, Obama encouraged the visiting students to step in and look around too. “You might be living here. I’m just visiting,” she said. As Obama made her way through Howard’s famous quad, posing for photos with the Chicago group, female Howard students inside the dorms shouted greetings through open windows. “Hi Michelle!!!” several young women screamed, prompting more fans of the first lady to also shout hello. “Michelllllle! First lady! We love you.”

More here

745a06ec1593a40f510f6a7067003550

fec6ced21593a40f510f6a70670092e1

First Lady Michelle Obama obliges cheering students by showing off the hand signal the students in the quadrangle dormitory use to identify themselves, during a campus tour of Howard University with high school students

Yahoo: Michelle Obama: High School Diploma Is Not Enough

It may be a few years before the first daughters head to college, but Michelle Obama is already brainstorming a dorm room checklist while encouraging high school students to dream big about their education beyond graduation. The first lady told a group of students Thursday that a high school diploma is not enough in today’s global economy. “No longer is high school the bar. That is not enough,” Mrs. Obama told the crowd. “You have got to go to college or get some kind of professional training.”

The campus visit is a part of Mrs. Obama’s push to promote higher education, especially President Barack Obama’s “North Star” goal. By 2020, America would once again have the highest proportion of college graduates in the world. “We have to have a hunger for education like we had when our parents and grandparents were fighting for us to have a right to come to these schools and get the education,” she said. “So now it’s up to you all to take that baton and do the very best you can with it.”

More here

c9740d451582a30f510f6a70670061eb

2014-04-17T204333Z_292362560_GM1EA4I0D0S01_RTRMADP_3_USA

4700a273157ca30f510f6a706700a72d

2014-04-17T203733Z_1632554504_GM1EA4I0CPZ01_RTRMADP_3_USA

2014-04-17T204809Z_707066798_GM1EA4I0D9G01_RTRMADP_3_USA

2014-04-17T204655Z_1296554754_GM1EA4I0D7901_RTRMADP_3_USA

ffaf9400156fa30f510f6a70670096ed

High school students from Chicago laugh as First Lady Michelle Obama makes a rectangle symbol, representing the women’s quad, in response to cheering from students at Howard University

109 Responses to “The President And First Lady’s Day”

April 17, 2014 at 9:43 pm

Hi

April 17, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Yessss.

April 17, 2014 at 9:49 pm

What are you agreeing to? If I wasn’t so weary, I’d put my own question there so that I could get your agreement to something you didn’t want to admit.

• 16 amk for obama
        April 17, 2014 at 10:31 pm

consider it rain-check.

April 17, 2014 at 10:45 pm

o kay. ty.

I haven’t felt this wiped out in I can’t remember how long.

• 18 amk for obama
            April 17, 2014 at 10:46 pm

say gunnite vc.

April 17, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Yea. I really should, but I’m trying to show a potential migraine that it ain’t going to get the best of me, by sending me to sleep too early! (I took the migraine medication, and only hesitated taking a 2nd dose because the instructions left me no loophole) Truth is if I settle down now, I’ll be wide awake in less than 4 hours, so I’m pushing the tired boundary a bit.

April 17, 2014 at 9:47 pm

Lots of colour! Thanks Ms Wonka.

That window pic reminds me of the toddlers at the window picture, when the little girl was giving PBO the side eye and one little boy was smiling while the other was checking out PBO carefully.

4. 21 Nerdy Wonka
    April 17, 2014 at 9:50 pm

Holy crap. This is not a good look for them. You do not this even if it is offered. You find a way to decline. Your team should’ve found a way to remove this from the schedule. Everything about it looks bad, bad, bad. He’s wearing shades. She’s laughing and clapping. Dumb…dumb…dumb..

This would never happen to President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama because they aren’t dumb and understand and have people who understand world history.

Shows people once again, that titles like “The Monarchy” are bloody stupid.

April 17, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Have I missed something? Isn’t this saying this is old – an old pic with colour added, maybe?

• 24 Nerdy Wonka
        April 17, 2014 at 9:57 pm

No. Look again. This is the current Prince or whatever he is called by those who who still do the Commonwealth and monarchy thing.

The tweet is showing that in 2014, the current royals are still behaving as though colonies are the in thing.

April 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm

It’s hard for me to believe that in 2014 these two young people would a) be so insensitively backward, and b) not have wiser advisers.

April 17, 2014 at 9:55 pm

What would the right wing say, if that was FLOTUS and POTUS. What would the media say?

April 17, 2014 at 9:59 pm

And William looks mighty comfortable. I believe Harry would be down there walking among the people. I could be wrong. But I’m not impress by this King, Queen mess anyway.

• April 17, 2014 at 9:57 pm

As an Irish gal, will not comment, will not comment, will not comment ………… Jeeeeeeeeeeeeesus!

• 29 Nerdy Wonka
        April 17, 2014 at 10:00 pm

I know right?

I was like are you f**king kidding me? All that education and you’re still dumb enough not to preview your daily schedule and strike out things that evoke memories of colonial masters and the “good old days.”

They dropped the ball. Big time.

• 30 jackiegrumbacher
      April 17, 2014 at 9:59 pm

You’re right, NW. I think the Queen would have had better judgment than this. Kate is at least trying, but William looks profoundly silly up there.

• 31 amk for obama
      April 17, 2014 at 10:13 pm

#royalFAIL.

• 32 Jewelz
      April 17, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Princess Diana is rolling over in her grave. William, your mother (If she were alive today) would not have approved of this sort of behavior. She raised you better than this.

• 33 Nena20409
      April 18, 2014 at 9:54 am

In 2014? Really? They say this William is better than his father? Sheesh. This is sad.

5. 34 Vicki
    April 17, 2014 at 9:52 pm

As 99 mentioned on last thread Rachel had Nicolle Wallace on to talk about Rand Paul.
    Now Mrs. Greenspan is casting doubt on PBO’s foreign policy.

So far not a word about ACA and 8 Million+ signups.

• 35 99ts
      April 17, 2014 at 10:11 pm

And now we have Ezra Klein on to talk about the ACA – this cable place is done – what are they trying to do – get their ratings into single figures???

6. 36 anniebella
    April 17, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Lovely pictures of FLOTUS and POTUS. FLOTUS look like she enjoy her time with the high school students students.

7. 39 Vicki
    April 17, 2014 at 9:58 pm

LL–I just finished reading your essay and I thank you for it. Beautifully done and informative. It is amazing how well and how often POTUS gets it right, knows what to do, and steers the ship of state to safety.

April 17, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Cillizza isn’t even hiding the MSM’s ridiculous desire to see the Clinton news “trump” the ACA news.

• April 17, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Ahem.

• April 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm

• 47 99ts
      April 17, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Women been having babies since forever – GOP policy would have them pregnant non stop from 14 to 45. It’s really hard to get pregnant – but getting the ACA accepted against the GOP and the media and the $$$$ – well that was a breeze.

There is a sickness in the US media when the talk of the day is someone getting pregnant – talk about wanting a Royal family to gush over – have they forgotten they fought a war to get rid of such things!!

The media have less intelligence than the GOP politicians – and that is truly difficult.

April 17, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Only to idiots like Chris Cillizza, did Chelsea news step all over the ACA news. The fact that the ACA is succeeding is all I wanted to hear. I’m sure it disappointed Cillizza that it is a success, but to hell with him.

• April 17, 2014 at 10:46 pm

re: Cillizza (wordpress is acting up for me, not sure if this will appear as a response to HF2)

Un*freaking*believable.

How clueless is this a**hole?

It’s the frigging networks who make the decision on what to cover.

Cannot tell you how much this infuriates me.

I commented on previous thread that I can remember WH children back to Trish and Julie Nixon. However, aside from the despicable Christopher Cox (Trish’s son), I couldn’t tell you how many grandkids Presidents since Eisenhower have.

HF2, you’re right, they’ve given up any pretense of impartiality. If they could, they would be physically rigging voting machines in the GOP’s favor.

Disgusting display of unprofessionalism. Yesterday, Jake Tapper’s hrpmff, today this.

Someone needs to ask these a**holes what’s so bad about medical insurance. JHC.

• 52 nathkatun7
      April 18, 2014 at 12:20 am

This guy, Cilliza, is a total idiot! Did Chelsea Clinton force the media to cover her pregnancy instead of covering the great news about Obama Care? The fact that this idiot is a paid journalist, working for a major paper, is clear evidence of the sad state of U.S. media.

• 53 Nena20409
      April 18, 2014 at 9:57 am

Pitiful spiteful wicked full of Nothingness.

They hate Bill Clinton and now they LOVE Clinton to in their minds stick it to pres Obama? Not. Pres Obama just doesn’t give a flip of what they do. And that drives them bananas.

9. April 17, 2014 at 10:06 pm

April 17, 2014 at 10:14 pm

SHIT. http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/christian-broadcaster-wins-health-care-injunction/2014/04/17/dcc5e296-c697-11e3-b708-471bae3cb10c_story.html

He doesn’t want to include bc in health insurance and I don’t think MY tax money should be going to this little POS and his minions!! Honestly, my blood boils for this stuff.

April 17, 2014 at 10:19 pm

12. April 17, 2014 at 10:21 pm

with apologies to Nerdy:

April 17, 2014 at 10:25 pm

April 17, 2014 at 10:46 pm

I think Cillizza say things like that cause he knows he will get under you Obama supporters skin. Plus as I said before he is just plain stupid.

• 74 nathkatun7
      April 18, 2014 at 12:26 am

Bravo, AMK! Great tweet! Perfect response to the idiot, Chris Cillizza.

14. April 17, 2014 at 10:25 pm

Okay, I got followed by a Mexican gov’t department. Thank you.

(I think it’s my Gabriel Garcia Marquez tweets.)

15. 77 Bill R.
    April 17, 2014 at 10:27 pm

ACA enrollment goes on in Oregon for two more weeks. I am working an enrollment Fair on Sat. 12-3 in our state’s capitol, Salem.

April 17, 2014 at 10:32 pm

pizza (leftover) for breakfast. cool.

17. April 17, 2014 at 10:34 pm

18. April 17, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Chips, I just love the video from Austin with PBO meeting with people so grateful for ACA. It’s just that simple. just. that. simple.

19. 92 carolyn
    April 17, 2014 at 10:42 pm

LL thank you for sorting out today’s agreement and explaining it. I especially appreciate the five points being highlighted at the top of the article.
    I keep wondering…..when will these people learn, that they are NOT going to destroy him? He is so far ahead of all of them in his thinking and planning, that they truly look like high school sophomores (I taught them, I know!)

Snowden certainly has picked the wrong team, hasn’t he…..he may supposedly be brainy, but he’s not smart. In that case too, so many wanted the President to personally go handcuff him and bring him back, but as we know, “the mills of Obama grind slowly, but they grind exceeding fine.”

20. April 17, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

21. 97 jackiegrumbacher
    April 17, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I think today the president gave the ossified legacy media that inhabits the WH press room a chance, knowing they would probably blow it on the coverage of ObamaCare. But he’s not going to leave it at that. If he, members of the Administration and key Democrats play this to the regional media over the next weeks and months, it will get local coverage, which reaches a whole lot of people across the country. The WH communications team was incredibly innovative in spreading the word about ACA in the last months and got the enrollment numbers to soar as they did. There will be a new enrollment period in the Fall–starting just before the November election and they (WH & Dems) are going to want to build momentum and excitement throughout the summer. Once again, the WHPC won’t know what hit them or how the end run happened.

22. April 17, 2014 at 10:49 pm

23. April 17, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Chips…..16 & from Ireland….. I feel emasculated

April 17, 2014 at 10:54 pm

25. 108 pickle48
    April 17, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Wonderful essay, LL!!

26. April 17, 2014 at 10:55 pm

“Once again, the WHPC won’t know what hit them or how the end run happened.”

So true, Jackie. That pack of #NEWSTAINERS truly do not have, amongst all of them, even two functioning neurons connected by a spirochete.