Apr

Night owl chat – Amy Winehouse on “Other Voices”

From Wikipedia:

“Other Voices” is a television series broadcast on RTÉ Two in Ireland, usually on a Wednesday night. It features live musical performances & interviews from many Irish and international musicians. Filming of the live performances is usually in the intimate setting of the 200-year-old Church of St James in Dingle, County Kerry.

I watched “Amy Winehouse: The Day She Came To Dingle” on BBC4 last weekend, and was again reminded of what a talent she was, and how it went wasted. These clips are from her performance on “Other Voices”.

***

Back to Black

***

Love is a Losing Game

***

Tears Dry on Their Own

***

Rehab

***

Me & Mr. Jones

***

Chat on, night owls!

95 Responses to “Night owl chat – Amy Winehouse on “Other Voices””

1. April 18, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Thanks a million for this LL, to my shame I never really listened to much of her music, just never got around to it, but was constantly told I was missing a gem. These videos are great. Thank you Sir!

• April 18, 2014 at 10:48 pm

You mistake me for a Man U fan. /ducks

• April 18, 2014 at 10:55 pm

What’s just gobsmacking about D. Moyes was when he said a couple of weeks ago that he wanted to stay for the “rebuilding project”. What rebuilding? You have the same team SAF had last year!

• April 18, 2014 at 11:11 pm

I sound like his lawyer at this stage, but it is a major rebuilding project.

I still can’t believe United won the League last season with that team, the most mediocre midfield I can ever remember them having, and not the best of defenses either. Hate to admit it, but I think they won it largely because all the main contenders had a seriously off year.

Ferguson should have started the rebuilding, but whether he couldn’t be arsed when he knew he was retiring, or whether they wouldn’t give him the money, don’t know.

But Moyes was left with this:

Just not good enough: Rafael, Nani, Young, Cleverley.

Past their best: Evra, Vidic, Ferdinand, Giggs.

One good game in, oh, 10: Kagawa, Jones, Smalling, Valencia, Hernández, Carrick.

Eternally injured: Evans.

Only bright sparks: Rooney, van Persie (although either injured or in a mood this season), de Gea, Januzaj, Welbeck (well, only occasionally) and, of course, Mata.

Disaster: Fellaini

So, get friggin’ shopping this summer!

April 18, 2014 at 10:49 pm

What a pity – she had a real gift.

3. April 18, 2014 at 10:52 pm

And right now on BBC4? Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock. Another life thrown away.

April 18, 2014 at 11:28 pm

No, thanks, to your bingo game. I’ll be at Barry’s Brother’s Bar, next door.

Love,
      Grandma

P.S. Of course, I can only have two glasses of wine and my head’s in the soup, now, so don’t go to any trouble, darlin’.

4. 24 anniebella
    April 18, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Rio de Janeriro is literally swimming in poop. Maybe they should have given the Olympics to Chicago.

5. April 18, 2014 at 10:58 pm

I’m naughty.

April 18, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Except for one, I like all of Louie Ludwig’s political ads. Here’s the latest.

7. April 18, 2014 at 11:14 pm

We only said goodbye with words
    I died a hundred times
    You go back to her
    And I go back to … black

Cheers, Amy. May you be at peace.

April 18, 2014 at 11:15 pm

I didn’t realize RWNJs were obsessing over Jay’s family?

White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, not surprisingly, has few fans among the conservative media, but for most of his tenure, has managed to avoid the sort of unhinged reactions that his predecessor, Robert Gibbs, provoked. This week, though, a charming little style-section profile in Washingtonian Mom set the conservative blogs frothing over everything from Carney’s apparently overflowing pantry, to his magical book collection, to his home podium setup, but most of all, his… anti-Nazi decorations? Why do conservatives love Nazis?

When I first saw this idiotic kerfuffle, I mainly disregarded it, except to try and get Noah Rothman at Mediaite to throw in what seemed like a pertinent fact (he refused). But, since Carney brought it up at the end of Friday’s White House daily briefing, and he’s been taking extra fire from the wingnuts this week, it’s worth noting.
    ……//

9. April 18, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Today in “Not the Onion”

“….Mr. Snowden wrote that he “was surprised” by the backlash because he had used the opportunity to raise the issue of “Russia’s involvement in mass surveillance on live television,” by asking the former intelligence agent in the Kremlin “a question that cannot credibly be answered in the negative by any leader who runs a modern, intrusive surveillance program: ‘Does [your country] intercept, analyze or store millions of individuals’ communications?’ ……….

“FORTUNE — It is a busy time for Samantha Power — to say the least. As the U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations and a member of President Obama’s Cabinet, Power is currently fighting the escalating conflict in Ukraine, dealing with a report from the United Nations of the routine use of torture in Syria and coping with difficult memories after traveling back from Rwanda to mark the 20th anniversary of the genocide in the country……..

In fact, Power’s children are so informed with her day job that Vladamir Putin recently invaded her son’s playtime at school — at least by name.
    “One of [my son's] very dear friends was trying to take the toys he was playing with and my son said — and I never guessed he would be capable of this — ‘You’re just like Putin!,” #(*Q&%)#(*%&Q#()%&()#% ……her kid is my hero :cool:

April 18, 2014 at 11:16 pm

11. April 18, 2014 at 11:22 pm

Liftoff of the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket en route to resupply the International Space Station:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

12. 37 yardarm756
    April 18, 2014 at 11:30 pm

How ’bout some Lady Day.

April 18, 2014 at 11:34 pm

They look alike, nose and above.

14. April 18, 2014 at 11:41 pm

April 18, 2014 at 11:52 pm

On reaching his plane seat a man is surprised to see a parrot strapped in next to him. He asks the stewardess for a coffee where upon the parrot squawks “And get me a whisky you cow!” The stewardess, flustered, brings back a whisky for the parrot and forgets the coffee.

When this omission is pointed out to her the parrot drains its glass and bawls “And get me another whisky you idiot”. Quite upset, the girl comes back shaking with another whisky but still no coffee.

Unaccustomed to such slackness the man tries the parrot’s approach “I’ve asked you twice for a coffee, go and get it now or I’ll kick you”.

The next moment, both he and the parrot have been wrenched up and thrown out of the emergency exit by two burly stewards. Plunging downwards the parrot turns to him and says “For someone who can’t fly, you complain too much!”

16. April 18, 2014 at 11:53 pm

April 19, 2014 at 12:03 am

Did you know:

you guys could help me moderate my time in the village by pointing out when I’ve overstayed my welcome?

18. 71 yardarm756
    April 19, 2014 at 12:08 am

Kids stuff from my youth.

19. 78 canadabarb4obama
    April 19, 2014 at 12:15 am

When will Danny be posting on his blog?

• April 19, 2014 at 7:59 am

He has posted many times already as “dannystix.” :) :)

April 19, 2014 at 8:58 am

CdaBarb, unfortunately we won’t be hearing from DannyO ( for a while) as his mean ole mom someone is punishing him for putting her ‘beloved beigey browny creamy stripey pair’ of socks in a safer place! So unfair!

• 82 canadabarb4obama
        April 19, 2014 at 2:45 pm

we may have to protest!

April 19, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I’ve already started, hoping she’ll be reasonable and responsive to a single voice here and there.

Feel free to join in; voices rising from all across the village might force DannyO’s mom not only to realize DannyO is not alone, but that she’d best give in graciously while the group can still be mollified.

psst! I think she’s already weakening, CdaBarb – DannyO has a little post up about his swimming adventure (and she hasn’t yanked it down in rage yet).

April 19, 2014 at 1:00 am

There are a lot of people employed by Disney World in Orlando. This is a BFD for these workers’ starting pay. Also love the “Obama minimum wage” reference!

Obamacare Obamaminimumwage Obamaequalpay Obama this Obama that!

21. 85 yardarm756
    April 19, 2014 at 1:03 am

“The time has come the walrus said…………” I’m hitting the rack…….cya!

April 19, 2014 at 1:08 am

I can just imagine Chips’ getting one, to keep Danny in and the fox out (poor doggie):

23. April 19, 2014 at 2:46 am

Had to post this before departing given all I have to do tomorrow morning and did not want any of you to miss these insights …

“But in fact there are consequences which the Kremlin underestimated.

First – the growing international isolation of Russia, which even top Russian officials must admit to. Russia has been left virtually alone in the international community. The West, far from planning to cancel sanctions, is thinking of increasing them. For Vladimir Putin’s collaborators, that translates to losses of billions of dollars, and tangible consequences for the Russian economy as a whole – and this is only the beginning. In the event of the annexation of some other Ukrainian Oblast [region], Russia will receive a third round of sanctions – a full economic blockade, and several more million freeloaders, citizens of a region with an uncertain status where they can forget about any investment. The costs that Russia must carry with the occupation of Crimea speak for themselves.

Second – the East of Ukraine did not become a cakewalk for Putin’s saboteurs and mercenaries. It has become obvious that, despite all the difficulties that have built up in Ukraine’s police and armed forces during the years of Viktor Yanukovich, and despite the deliberate breakdown of these structures by Russian agents, taking the East would require waging war. And that involves facing not only supporters of the occupation, but its active opponents, of whom there were undoubtedly less in Crimea.

Putin is not interested in a war with mass casualties. He is also not interested in economic isolation. He is interested in the West recognising him as an emperor and speaking with him as with the emperor. He is interested in successful special ops, parades, good TV images and triumph.”

Urge you to read the entirety of the assessment at the link in the tweet:

now, good night TOD ….

#TrustBarack …. ALWAYS …..

24. 89 globalcitizenlinda
    April 19, 2014 at 6:45 am

April 19, 2014 at 8:00 am

Good Saturday Morn or Night, TODobots! The sun is shining, the world seems alive, *I* am alive and so life’s good! Although I can’t think what I want to have for breakfast, life’s still very, very good ’cause I have a choice. :) :)

We are alivee! Life’s good, you all!

• 91 99ts
      April 19, 2014 at 8:17 am

Hello vc – we had an easter saturday family feast & should be able to bypass breakfast tomorrow – and a couple more meals as well

April 19, 2014 at 8:23 am

Night, TS! :) That feasting sounds really good to me, who is not fond of cooking. I told myself I was going to cook fish for today’s supper, but ….we shall see. I DID take some from the freezer before going to bed….but we shall see.

April 19, 2014 at 8:03 am

G’morning Linda! I see you are just about the only one up early this morning. Well you have some company. :)

• 94 globalcitizenlinda
      April 19, 2014 at 9:00 am

morning HF!

yes, I was up very early – surprised myself by keeping the weekday routine on this Saturday (usually lazy on the weekend)