Apr

Let The Good Times “Egg And Roll”

potus

52cfc6a9a466fd0f510f6a706700e1e6

Colorful eggs await the throngs of children attending the annual White House Easter Egg Roll on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington.

est

fltous

president-mrs-obama-host-annual-20140421-162140-412

President Barack Obama high fives his doubles partner as he plays tennis during the annual White House Easter Egg Roll

2014-04-21T172645Z_1909896723_GM1EA4M03XD01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

First Lady Michelle Obama hugs actress Debby Ryan, from the television show “Jessie”, during a healthy cooking demonstration with chef Marc Murphy

180598cda509000f520f6a7067009777

2014-04-21T165444Z_1169768958_GM1EA4M02GE01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

potus

President Barack Obama shares some laughs while shooting hoops with Dikembe Mutombo, Felipe Lopez, and Etan Thomas

ghah

53ffa639a51f010f520f6a7067008110

First Lady Michelle Obama hosts a healthful recipes demonstration with chef Marc Murphy, Skai Jackson, center, Karan Brar, right, from the Disney Channel show “Jessie”

micha

Michael Strahan of Live with Kelly and Michael interviews First Lady Michelle Obama

hgh

2014-04-21T165313Z_1223120884_GM1EA4M02DO01_RTRMADP_3_OBAMA

First Lady Michelle Obama tastes a kale smoothie during a healthy cooking demonstration with chef Marc Murphy and young actors Cameron Boyce and Peyton List

etat

ghs

President Barack Obama shares some laughs with a volunteer

hghgh

whis

stais

garde

First Lady Michelle Obama reads ‘My Garden’ to children during ‘Story Time’ at the White House Easter Egg Roll

ohsn

five

First Lady Michelle Obama high-fives a little girl after ‘Story Time’ at the White House Easter Egg Roll

child

thumbs

bspall

cheer

More photos here

118 Responses to “Let The Good Times “Egg And Roll””

1. April 21, 2014 at 7:00 pm

What a great day! Kudos first couple

2. 7 GGail
    April 21, 2014 at 7:02 pm

Me soooooo lucky!

Thanks NW for all of these goodies!!!

3. 9 anniebella
    April 21, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Man how I wish I was there, it look like F-U-N.

4. 10 Bill R.
    April 21, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Sweet kids!

5. April 21, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Simply gorgeous photos Nerdy, thank you!

6. April 21, 2014 at 7:09 pm

That little girl with the sunglasses, and polka-dotted dress is a future pro LPGA champion! She’s so serious!!!! Mad egg rolling skills!!

7. 16 GGail
    April 21, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Ok folks, it’s time for me to roll on down the mountain to da hood. It’s been fun playing today :-)

8. 17 Dudette
    April 21, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Wow! This is an Easter Egg Roll feast!!!
    Thanks NW!

April 21, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Thanks for these glorious images (on a rainy day in my town!).

President and Mrs. Obama are the most adorable couple on Pennsylvania Avenue!

10. 20 Nena20409
    April 21, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Excellent Post NW.

Looking at all the wonderful pictures makes me feel like a kid in their midst concentrating and in pure dedication hunting for my Easter Eggs. Thank You NW. This is awesome.

I heard over 30K were at the WH today. Wow!

11. 22 Nena20409
    April 21, 2014 at 7:21 pm

Au for GGail ;) oH it is :lol:

12. April 21, 2014 at 7:31 pm

G’d evening TOD! Can’t believe I missed all this good fun at the Easter Egg Roll!!! I did catch some glimpses during the early morning, but if it weren’t for TOD, I would have NOTHING to come home to this evening! What lovely pics…I have to go back a few threads to relive every moment. PBO and FLOTUS looked like they were both having a blast! As were all the kids, performers, hosts, volunteers, etc. :)

13. 25 dotster3
    April 21, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Pleased with what I saw on NBC Nightly News, for a change. They covered the WH Easter Egg Roll, showing the First Couple’s Big Kiss Right in Front of the Easter Bunny! and showing the president’s Oscar worthy performance while reading Where The Wild Things Are, among other visuals. And I loved the final segment about the Rising Tide Car Wash in Parkland, Fl., whose all 35 employees are autistic and are doing a stupendous job, huge business with very pleased repeat and word of mouth customers. Business is so good the owner, whose son is autistic, plans to expand into other locations. The families of these young men are so grateful as this is giving their sons pride, dignity, independence and a paycheck. I think I heard the pay is decent also—-over $11.00/hr. plus tips.

• 26 mtmarilyn
      April 21, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Wow, dotster3, all this good news is scary. So glad to hear about the car wash. This is what America is, we are people that care and figure out how to do what needs to be done.

April 21, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Love it all! Thanks for the nightly report, because I can’t bear to watch it myself.

14. April 21, 2014 at 7:37 pm

Super selection, NW!!! Thank you!!

15. 30 anniebella
    April 21, 2014 at 7:47 pm

You know what I think of Morning Joke. But I was surprise he stood up in favor of the First Lady. This is what Scarborough said concerning the students and parents who are criticizing inviting FLOTUS to come speak at the High School graduation, he said if you have the opportunity to have the First Lady come out and speak at your H.S. graduation, you ought to keep your concerns to yourself, this is asinine. And as much as I can’t stand Joe, he is right. This who thing is much to do about nothing, these people who started this who thing is those hate Obama folks.

• 31 Dudette
      April 21, 2014 at 7:54 pm

In this one thing he is correct.

• 33 Nena20409
      April 21, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I read his comments on Mediaite today. However he made comments last Monday accusing AG Holder and POTUS of race baiting……and now a week later he is standing for FLOUTS?

Well, since the March 8th HP370 Malaysian Jet Liner disappearance……CNN in the AM has been beating Mojo. Last Friday, per TVbynumbers, JoScar was not there and Mojo beat CNN’s New Day. So JoScar is a nut job trying to get his 2nd place ratings back.

April 21, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Nena, Moening Joe was wrong in what he said about POTUS and AG Holder race baiting, and he was right in what he said about the students and parents in Kansas complaining about FLOTUS speaking at their graduation. I still don’t like Mornng Joke.

• 35 Nena20409
          April 22, 2014 at 1:21 pm

I am not disagreeing with you. I am just NOT conceding to JoScar. He says one unoffensive thing and he is given a slack by most while he uses his show to promote RWNJ talking points. How many of those shows are out there daily on TV/Cable and Radio? Way too many. The Only way to force the networks to make a change is to stop watching them and that will deny wicked wife cheating bigots like JoScar off the AM shows.

The KS High School complaint by a few has been out there for days. JoScar used this to pretend to cover by his hideous comments 8 days ago.

16. 36 Dudette
    April 21, 2014 at 7:50 pm

17. April 21, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Just had to post an additional tweet about this amazing, touching Boston Marathon act of kindness …

Link: http://fansided.com/2014/04/21/boston-marathon-2014-runner-falls-just-short-finish-line-four-others-carry-across-photo/#!FgVBc

• 38 Nena20409
      April 21, 2014 at 8:21 pm

It keeps getting better. What a story of Unity, Kindness, Love, Community, etc.

This is just tearing me up. Tears of Joy, that is.

18. 39 mtmarilyn
    April 21, 2014 at 7:53 pm

So love all those wonderful happy pictures. The joy is just jumping out all over the place. This is a First Family that all the people of this country and it shows. We are truly blessed. Thank you NW for this great post. Now we need the Happy song.

19. April 21, 2014 at 8:04 pm

Great pics of today – thank so much. :)

20. April 21, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Bravooooooooooo….NW,,,,Spectacular pics of the day…Looks like the President and FLOTUS had a wonderful time!

April 21, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Well Ms Wonka, your photographic collage was terrific! ;) ;) I almost felt like I was there in the crowd. Thank you, kindly.

22. April 21, 2014 at 8:16 pm

But behind every success story is the story of struggle, sacrifice, dedication and focus. The story of the 8 million is only possible because a president who now has a lot more gray hair than when this battle started picked his fight, focused and dedicated his time in office to the working stiff in America, and the sacrifice of the Democratic party to bring affordable health care to every American.

That is the real story of the #8Million

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tremendous Article…well worth the read!

April 21, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Great article – thanks PF58 for posting!! :)

• 56 Vicki
      April 21, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Wonderful commentary and history of the ACA. Couldn’t agree more with the glaring problem it is when Dems say they will fix obamacare and declare it isn’t perfect.
      If you say either of those things you are a DINO or part of a campaign in waiting or something else which at the very least is Unhelpfull.

Either sing about the success that ACA is, tell helpful stories about people you know who have better lives because of Obamacare or sit down and STFU.

Thanks, pf for bringing this to TOD and Spandan C. for the great work.

• 57 carolyn
        April 21, 2014 at 8:38 pm

This is a great article, detailing what everyone went through to get where we are with the ACA.

I believe he never forgot the struggle his mother had as she was dying of cancer, and didn’t want anyone else to go through what she did. The best way he could think of to honor her was to get this passed for all other people. I think this health care plan could be called the Ann Dunham Obama Act.

• April 21, 2014 at 8:54 pm

One of Spandan’s best!!

#TrustBarack

• 59 jackiegrumbacher
      April 21, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Thx for the link, PF. Every American needs to read and understand just how much our president has done for them.

23. April 21, 2014 at 8:25 pm

NW and Chips,

Wonderful coverage of an action-packed, fun filled event.

It’s a given that the kids will have fun, but it looks like President Obama and FLOTUS were having just as good a time.

Previous commenters here mentioned that past Presidents didn’t bother to attend, and their schedules didn’t hold a candle to President Obama’s (with the exception of post-Sept 11 and during the Vietnam, Korea and World Wars).

Meta posted a link to a NYmag slideshow on Samantha Power (“A Day in the Life…”) early today.

Besides the adorableness of her children, it’s got something for Mayor de Blasio fans and for fans of women empowerment too:

“There are five women on the Security Council, 30 total. Madeleine Albright called her group of women ambassadors the G7. I call mine the G30.”

“…a number of the U.N. ambassadors came to me and said, “Is there any chance you could introduce us to de Blasio?” They really are entranced by him. ”

Here’s the tweet that Meta posted:

24. 61 Allison
    April 21, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Will he apologize for his despicable behavior?

• 62 yardarm756
      April 21, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Who gives a rat’s ass what this Poverty Pimp has to say. He just won some award so I’m sure he’s quite full of himself.

25. April 21, 2014 at 8:27 pm

FLOTUS looks like she had a great day hugging the little ones! The picture of her with her arms around two little girls made me think that moment probably bought back many happy memories of little Malia and Sasha.

April 21, 2014 at 8:27 pm

NYC Mayor de Blasio is super tall y’all!

27. April 21, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I didn’t see today’s Google Doodle — maybe it appeared just in the UK (posted by Dudette yesterday).

Don’t know if you saw this obituary over the weekend for one of the most prolific Wikipedia editors who tragically died in a rock climbing accident at Joshua Tree National Park. She was only 37.

“The bulk of Ms. Wadewitz’s work at Wikipedia concerned biographies of women, particularly writers and thinkers from the era that she studied to earn her Ph.D. An early contribution, or ‘edit,’ was in 2006, when she ‘punched up the intro’ to the article about Jane Austen, to note Austen’s “masterful use of both indirect speech and irony.”

More than 49,000 edits later, Ms. Wadewitz had created a whole library of articles about figures like the early feminist writer Mary Wollstonecraft, the children’s book writer Mary Martha Sherwood and the ‘woman of letter’ Anna Laetitia Barbauld. Each of these biographical articles was labeled a ‘featured article’ — the highest praise her fellow editors could give — appearing on the site’s home page.”

28. 68 yardarm756
    April 21, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Psst. Anybody seen nath?

April 21, 2014 at 8:33 pm

Was he around this past weekend? I lose track of time sometimes, but I thought I saw him here….

April 21, 2014 at 8:34 pm

I know he was around last night because he responded to one of my posts – but I haven’t been around much today to notice his absence.

• April 21, 2014 at 8:49 pm

Nath and I share something in common (aside from living in SoCal)… we’re usually late to the party.

The timestamps on his messages are usually around 3:00 am EDT and appear in either the overnight or early bird threads.

HF2 is right, I saw several of his comments on the overnight thread.

He often comments to offer his unwavering support for someone else’s post — hope those people see his lavish praises!

29. 77 JER
    April 21, 2014 at 8:31 pm

April 21, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Anyone hear Randi Rhodes today say why she was leaving? I heard her beginning to talk about it, but got back to work and couldn’t hear the reason why….she took a very circuitous route of telling everyone why….would love to know what she said.

Beautiful Easter Egg Hunt day today! Thanks for these pictures:)

• 80 0388jojothecat
      April 21, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Hi df….I listened to Randi Rhodes today and she is leaving because she wants to leave on her terms. She mentioned her long career in radio and that she wants to contribute and make changes in a different way. Since last year when she was told they were ending her show she said she did a lot of thinking about her future and wants to do something for herself and her family. I have the feeling that maybe Randi will wind up in politics or move to Costa Rica. I think she is done with radio and the media period. FYI if you go to Randi Rhodes website and click on her iheart radio icon you can listen to her shows all day because it repeats until the next live show. She did say there will be no more website, no more web shows or anything.

April 21, 2014 at 10:15 pm

thanks. jojo. I thought the conversation was going in that direction as I listened to her. Have to respect her decision. I just hope that people took what she talked about to heart and paid attention!!

• 82 0388jojothecat
          April 21, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Most people were ok since she was leaving on her terms and not forced out. I was hoping she would have stuck around until after the Nov election. She plans to stay involved with the election but pretty much told folks to day and will probably continue to tell they have got to vote and to vote for people who are going to do something for them and not the rich.

31. 83 Nerdy Wonka
    April 21, 2014 at 8:34 pm

32. April 21, 2014 at 8:40 pm

33. 85 99ts
    April 21, 2014 at 8:43 pm

No doubt at all the GOP see themselves as having the divine right to rule – certainly not to govern – and elections – they exist to intervene in that right

JEFFERSON CITY — The long shot effort to remove Gov. Jay Nixon from office will get underway on Wednesday, when a state House committee will hold a hearing on three articles of impeachment.

They really have nothing better to do than legislate women’s bodies and attempt to remove democrats from any positions of power. I will never understand why folks vote for such people.

34. April 21, 2014 at 8:43 pm

• 87 carolyn
      April 21, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Yesterday in his sermon, our pastor mentioned four miracles. Not what you would expect. The first miracle he mentioned was that “in 2008 and 2012, the U.S. elected a bi-racial man, whose father was a Kenyan Muslim, his mother a Kansas white woman who brought him up as a single mother, and whose middle name was the same as the Iraqi dictator, Hussein.” When he said that, the congregation actually let out a roar of approval. This, in a Congregational church which is not known for audience response, but this reaction was spontaneous and real.

The next miracle was the Amish parents who forgave the murderer of their daughters, the next was Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s smile and the fourth was personal to our congregation: that teenagers participated in the Maundy Thursday service by washing the feet of church members, including old people.

That last one speaks to the spirit of our church, and the example set by our two pastors, a man and a woman.

In the red state of Oklahoma we are an anomaly. The tired old joke is, that if someone dropped a bomb on our church at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, 90% of the liberals in the state would be killed. Not quite true………..fortunately.

• 88 99ts
        April 21, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Carolyn – I’m just listening to Rachel – and indeed your church is its own miracle in Oklahoma – long may it continue to bring hope and love to its members and its state

35. April 21, 2014 at 8:44 pm

April 21, 2014 at 8:46 pm

May have been posted before, but I’ll share again …

April 21, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Retweeted by Jeff Gauvin
    Steve Fagan/nuzedit ‏@nuzedit 27m
    @JeffersonObama What a great name for a new Ben & Jerry ice cream. Impeach Obama..a combo of peach and chocolate surround by a nasty vanilla

Ain’t this the truth!

38. April 21, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Looking forward to POTUS’ Asia trip.

I noticed that South Korea seems to be the only country not hosting a State Dinner for PBO.

I wonder if it’s because they were added just last month, which didn’t allow time for the arrangements?

I’ve lived in SoCalif all my life, and in the past decade, there has been a surge of people where I live from South Korea. There are definitely more South Koreans in suburban Ventura County here, than those with Chinese or Japanese heritage (and 15 years ago, just a handful).

Does anyone know who will be in the press pool with PBO? I’ll be sure to check their twitter feeds (unless it’s upChuck Todd – who truly is worthless).

39. April 21, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Tzar Putin’s propaganda and media intimidation is flagrant and is being reported as such by the OSCE …

““The situation is extremely dangerous,” Dunja Mijatovic, OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, said. “I receive reports on intimidation, threats, harassment of journalists on a daily basis. Today, even on the hourly basis.”

Mijatovic is just back from a fact-finding mission to Ukraine.

“Media is used as a tool for manipulation,” she said. “Channels are switched off overnight, like it happened in Crimea, and replaced with channels originating from the Russian federation.””

40. 103 carolyn
    April 21, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I read that the two state dinners are in the countries which are considered to be hosting an official state visit. The other two are not official “state” visits. I’m sure there is an important difference in matters discussed and protocol. I do know it is important that the Japanese are granted an official state visit. I think the other state visit is the Philippines.

41. April 21, 2014 at 9:13 pm

42. April 21, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Gorgeous day, gorgeous POTUS & FLORUS, Gorgeous Layout by NW! 😍 :)
    Congrats GGail! 💐

43. April 21, 2014 at 9:37 pm

44. April 21, 2014 at 10:01 pm

45. April 21, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Tzar Vlad is about to get a life’s lesson in ‘unintended consequences’ ….

#TrustBarack

46. 117 globalcitizenlinda
    April 21, 2014 at 10:15 pm

Great fun was had by all! what a day!!!!!!!

47. 118 HZ
    April 21, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Beautiful POTUS and FLOTUS making us all so proud and honored to be a part of this beautiful day. Thanks Nerdy W., for such a lovely presentation of this beautiful moment in our lives.HZ

Chips, thanks for sharing my handsome grandson, Danny taking to the water again. Brings joy to my heart. HZ