Apr

President Obama in Japan

Coming up Tonight (Thursday in Japan – 13 hours ahead of EDT)

Occasional live streaming here (CBS), here (LiveStation) and here (NHK, Japan’s national public broadcaster)

11:15 PM EDT: President Obama Holds a Joint Press Conference with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe

Also at White House Live

Later, President Obama delivers remarks at a youth and science event with students at the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation

The President visits Meiji Shrine

President Obama attends the Japan State Dinner and delivers remarks

79 Responses to “President Obama in Japan”

1. 6 Judith Fardig
    April 23, 2014 at 10:59 pm

COS – Seems you have topped the podium a lot recently. Congratulations!

• 7 COS
      April 23, 2014 at 11:01 pm

When I am on my mac, it is faster than my old PC. :) I was away from home all day and was catching up when Chips notice flashed. :)

April 23, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Yes, she has Judith! She has taken over the big trophy.

How was your celebration? If I remember correctly, you were heading off for some family (anniversary?)celebration, weren’t you? I think.

2. April 23, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Thanks for the coverage. Superb as usual.

3. April 23, 2014 at 11:03 pm

From bottom of previous post …

And, the reason for recommending a preemptive economic strike are well summarized here … http://www.themoscowtimes.com/opinion/article/russia-is-in-no-economic-shape-to-fight-a-war/498728.html

“Last Friday evening, the Russian Security Council met. In attendance were 12 men — almost all of whom are around 60 years old and who once worked in the KGB in St. Petersburg — and one woman. Many have speculated that they might have agreed on a plan to invade eastern and southern Ukraine after Putin revived the term “Novorossia,” or New Russia.

None has significant economic insights. In the U.S., by contrast, the slightly larger National Security Council includes several economic officials, starting with the treasury secretary because the U.S. considers national security decisions economic issues as well.

clip

If Russia’s National Security Council had invited one of the country’s many good economists, it would probably have heard that Russia is in no shape to carry out an aggressive war in Ukraine.”

#TrustBarack

• April 23, 2014 at 11:57 pm

As I wrote in my piece last week, Russia can threaten neighbors, but it doesn’t have the economic power to maintain a major campaign. Ukraine is not South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

4. April 23, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Thank you Chips for the very fine coverage of President Obama’s trip!!

5. April 23, 2014 at 11:07 pm

April 23, 2014 at 11:19 pm

Thank you Bobfr for speaking the truth. Guns in bars, where alcohol is. A great match, guns in bars.

April 23, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Well, I’m going to try for some shut-eye as work’s on again tomorrow… and Friday; they extended my 3-day week to 4. Sweet dreams, TODobots! Those of you going to Japan in a couple of hours, please keep the noise down, take good pictures, and try not to lose your cameras or miss anything vital. Thanks in advance!

April 23, 2014 at 11:18 pm

My I-voted-selfie

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

3 minutes walk to polling booth
    10 minutes in line to vote (about 20 people, half of them oldies elders
    3 minutes walk back to home
    1 minute showing off my finger to son unit & gloating (his voter id is yet to come)

voting process

1. A nice lady checks my voter id against a printed voter roll and reads out my name and id no. to the candidates agents, who then tick me off in their copy of voter list.
    2. Then man 1 writes down my name and id no (yes, writes down) in a register and gives me a voting slip and asks me to sign the register.
    3. Man 2 applies ink on my finger.
    4. Man 3 collects my voting slip (they are all sitting within one meter)
    5. Go to EVM and press the button.
    6. In a small window in the EVM, a print-out of your vote is seen and is collected inside the EVM automatically. So you have a paper trail too.
    7. Voila.

8. 29 JER
    April 23, 2014 at 11:23 pm

• 30 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      April 24, 2014 at 2:12 am

I AM HAPPY TO SEE THAT SUSAN RICE IS ON THE SCENE…I LOVE HER. UNFORTUNATELY I MISS SO MUCH OF THE NIGHT STUFF…PAIN PILLS MESS WITH MY SLEEP SCHEDULE….THE PRESIDENT IS REALLY ENJOYING HIMSELF. I HAVE MET SEVERAL JAPANESE PEOPLE AND THEY ARE WONDERFUL…ENJOY PBO…….PRAYING FOR YOUR STRENGTH AND COMFORT ON THESE JOURNEYS.

9. 31 MightyPamela
    April 23, 2014 at 11:24 pm

Is the press conference late to start, or is it my stream?

10. 34 anniebella
    April 23, 2014 at 11:35 pm

20 minutes late, I don’t think I will be able to listen to the 2:10 remarks, I might not be able to listen to the news conference which were suppose to start at 11:15pm.

11. April 23, 2014 at 11:47 pm

/large

April 23, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Why are some of the Republicans running away from Bundy, he seem like to me he is their kind of buddy. A racists like most of the Republicans are.

• 37 majiir
        April 24, 2014 at 2:54 am

They’re just sticking to their playbook, anniebella. They have a habit of being “for” something before they’re “against” it.

April 23, 2014 at 11:53 pm

Looking good, Mr. President.

13. 39 dee
    April 23, 2014 at 11:57 pm

can somebody please explain to me why the repubs are hollering about “having a President in the WH that honors God” or fighting freedom of religion in the military? I keep seeing it on my facebook newsfeed.

• April 24, 2014 at 12:02 am

I must have missed the part of the Constitution where the nation has a High Priest.

• 41 dee
        April 24, 2014 at 12:13 am

Most definitely! I love the Lord, but this country is built on religious freedom, and we are not forced to worship from a central govt. They are freaking about second amendment rights and freedom, but judges the president if he doesn’t honor God the way they approve of?

• 42 theo67
      April 24, 2014 at 1:20 am

Repubs and their hollering really aren’t worth your time. They make no sense, stand for nothing real and only peddle hate. Just ignore them. Fight for the good stuff.

• 43 majiir
      April 24, 2014 at 3:01 am

The GOPTPers want a president who “showboats” on Christianity rather than one who practices it. GWB was a president who used Christianity as a political device, but he wasn’t one who followed the teachings of Jesus Christ. Huckabee is another Christian showboater. I can’t imagine Jesus making a comment about women who use birth control wanting “Uncle Sugar” to pay for it. My mom used to call this “talking all up in women’s panties.” Gross. President Obama is the opposite. He’s doing what Jesus wants all Christians to do–he’s not making his personal relationship with God a topic for public consumption, and his policies reflect his Christianity—the opposite of GWB, Huckabee, Cruz, Palin, and many others in the GOPTP.

14. 45 Judith Fardig
    April 24, 2014 at 12:10 am

#OFAction today on the ACA to thank supporters in Congress and shame those who waste taxpayer $ on repeal.

April 24, 2014 at 12:18 am

16. 47 Nerdy Wonka
    April 24, 2014 at 12:32 am

April 24, 2014 at 12:35 am

Thank you so much! I kept getting “distracted” and was missing quite a bit of the comments.

• 49 Nerdy Wonka
        April 24, 2014 at 12:38 am

You’re welcome.

April 24, 2014 at 12:40 am

The more I read of your live tweeting, the more I realize HOW MUCH I missed. Duh. Thanks for bringing all of us up to date, tonight and tomorrow.

“Nerdy Wonka … <<< THIS is CNN" (not to use their awful tagline, when you are so much better at it!)

17. 51 Nerdy Wonka
    April 24, 2014 at 12:33 am

18. 53 Nerdy Wonka
    April 24, 2014 at 12:35 am

19. 54 Nerdy Wonka
    April 24, 2014 at 12:36 am

• April 24, 2014 at 7:09 am

Thank you so much NW for live-tweeting the Presser and the CNN interview. I missed it last night because I couldn’t stay awake/focused enough to follow. Your tweets are invaluable here!! I’m glad that PBO schooled that idiot from CNN!

• 56 jackiegrumbacher
      April 24, 2014 at 7:23 am

Wonderful, Nerdy, as always. Can’t thank you enough. Your summary skills are awesome!

20. 57 Nerdy Wonka
    April 24, 2014 at 12:36 am

April 24, 2014 at 5:03 am

I missed most of the press conference, cause it was late starting. But thanks to Nerdy Wonka I can read up on it.

21. 59 Nerdy Wonka
    April 24, 2014 at 12:41 am

• 60 99ts
      April 24, 2014 at 1:09 am

Many thanks NW – I’ve been busy today & missed the speeches. I still can’t believe the RW US press that travels around the world to ask stupid questions – fortunately most ignore them & concentrate on what the President has to say.

22. 61 yardarm756
    April 24, 2014 at 12:53 am

April 24, 2014 at 1:26 am

24. April 24, 2014 at 1:30 am

25. April 24, 2014 at 1:34 am

26. April 24, 2014 at 1:38 am

Brilliance, sheer brilliance …

Empathy is a very powerful tool.

#TrustBarack

April 24, 2014 at 2:05 am

• 73 99ts
      April 24, 2014 at 6:09 am

He went along to ask stupid questions – as do all the WHPC – so wish PBO could tell them all to stay home – or have a press conference with just the local press.

28. 74 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    April 24, 2014 at 2:39 am

YAAAAY…I JUST CAUGHT THE PRESIDENT AT THE MUSEUM OF SCIENCE….HE’S FIRED UP!…THAT GLOBE THEY HAVE SUSPENDED FROM THE CEILING IS AMAZING…..ONE QUESTION…IS HE HOME YET?….LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL…I KNEW THAT WOULDN’T WORK!..PEACE OUT…OVERLY PROTECTIVE HERE!…GOODNIGHT!

29. 75 99ts
    April 24, 2014 at 6:31 am

Why are governors such as this one full of such hate for the people of their state?

Oklahoma’s Governor Has Quietly Passed a Bill With Devastating Consequences for Young People

• 76 jackiegrumbacher
      April 24, 2014 at 7:33 am

I happens 99ts because stupid people elect these monsters and keep on electing them. They don’t see the connection between the way they vote and what happens to them. I’ll bte young people in OK continue to register Republican and continue to send people like this to their state house. Until the day they wake up and toss these people out, they will suffer and keep on suffering.

30. 77 99ts
    April 24, 2014 at 7:24 am

Fabulous piece by Jim at stonekettle – a long read – well worth the time to get to the conclusion as related to the Bundy.

“The very fact that they have come from across the country unmolested and unimpeded, waving their guns and bibles at federal officers and giving voice in open contempt for government, that very fact, that one right there, succinctly demonstrates that their furious protests, stoked by the media and the pundits and professional politicians and the false reality they exist in, is utterly without merit.

They themselves are proof that they are wrong.”

April 24, 2014 at 7:37 am

So TIME has their “100 most influential persons” of 2014 list, and as usual, many of their choices (as well as their omissions) leave me scratching my head. Of course they had to throw in PBO and Pope Francis or their list would just not be credible, but they have Joe Klein (who lambasted PBO’s strategy on Syria) of all people write about PBO. Then they have HRC on the list, but not FLOTUS?!?!?

And not surprisingly, Putin, Snowden and Rand Paul are all listed (EYEROLL)…and these magazines wonder why their readership is declining…

RSS OFA