Apr

Thursday in Japan

People try to take pictures of President Obama leaving in his car after a private dinner with Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe at Sukiyabashi Jiro restaurant in Tokyo

Coming up Tonight (Thursday in Japan – 13 hours ahead of EDT)

Live streaming here (CBS), here (LiveStation) and (occasionally) here (NHK, Japan’s national public broadcaster)

In the morning, President Obama meets with Emperor Akihito of Japan at the Imperial Palace

The President meets with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan at Akasaka Palace

11:15 PM EDT: President Obama Holds a Joint Press Conference with Prime Minister Shinzo Abe

Also at White House Live

Later, President Obama delivers remarks at a youth and science event with students at the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation

The President visits Meiji Shrine

President Obama attends the Japan State Dinner and delivers remarks

President Obama with Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during dinner at Sukiyabashi Jiro sushi restaurant in Tokyo’s Ginza district

117 Responses to “Thursday in Japan”

April 23, 2014 at 8:26 pm

Already?

2. 5 JER
    April 23, 2014 at 8:30 pm

LIVE NOW: President Obama at the Imperial Palace in Japan – http://www.cbsnews.com/liveFeed/widget.shtml

3. 9 JER
    April 23, 2014 at 8:48 pm

LIVE NOW: Japan – Obama /welcoming Ceremony – http://www.livestation.com/reuters?source=redirect

4. 27 anniebella
    April 23, 2014 at 8:51 pm

New Georgia law which allows people to carry guns in church. One question, how dam sick is these right wing crazy ass Tea Republicans?

• 28 Nena20409
      April 23, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Bars, Gov’t Builds without check-points, Airports and Cops can’t ask questions like they used.

As other nations are graduating Scientists, Engineers, etc…..USA since the GOPers were able to take over many state houses and the House of Rep……starting in 1994…..Okay since Reagan…..in 1980 with the senate under the GOP…….US has been going down the hill.

• April 24, 2014 at 12:23 am

Actually I heard that guns are still banned in the Capitol building where the legislators work in GA. If they are giving them free reign in churches, schools and bars why not where the lawmakers work too?

• 30 SUE DUVALL SMITH
      April 23, 2014 at 9:01 pm

GEORGIA, MUCH LIKE INDIANA…IS A STATE FILLED W/ HATE…THIS WILL CERTAINLY ADD MORE AMMO TO THE SCENARIO.

April 23, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Sitting in church with everyone carrying a gun. I tell you that Pastor better not step on anyone toes. Someone get to shouting and dancing and the gun goes off. This is just too much.

• 32 nathkatun7
      April 23, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Right wingers, who claim to be “holier than thou” Christians, are trashing the teachings and message of Jesus Christ! Jesus taught/teaches love, compassion for the poor and the oppressed, and peace; right wingers, who claim to be Christians, are teaching hatred, hostility towards the poor and the oppressed, and violence.

5. 34 SUE DUVALL SMITH
    April 23, 2014 at 8:59 pm

THANK YOU SO FOR THE COVERAGE TONITE…I DON’T KNOW HOW HE DOES IT…THIS JET LAG ALONE WOULD HAVE ME IN A VELCRO WRAP-AROUND JACKET…MAKE IT PINK!

April 23, 2014 at 9:02 pm

HAHAHahaha…me too Sue. I really don’t know how he keeps up his stamina across time zones, and with all these meetings!! :)

6. April 23, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Thanks, Chips, NW and JER for keeping TODville up-to-date on the goings on in Japan today.

The time zone (and International dateline) differences really complicate things for someone like me who is not a natural at figuring out what time it is on the other side of the world (but if you type: time: tokyo [or wherever you're interested in] in Google, it responds immediately with the current time).

I think tonight’s press conference will be held at noon in Tokyo, so hopefully President Obama won’t be feeling the effects of jet lag too badly (he is a night owl, after all).

Dudette provided a link to this article this morning. Tonight’s state dinner (assuming it begins at 8pm local time = 5 am EDT, 2 am PDT) will be the first Japan has hosted for an American President since Bill Clinton in 1996 — the Japanese took GWBush’s warning (fool me once, fool me twice, etc.) to heart, after his poppy embarrassed everyone who was paying attention.

7. April 23, 2014 at 9:10 pm

I. am. pooped. That is all.

• April 23, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Howzabout switching schedules with President Obama?

I watched Ben Rhodes’ description of this trip — sounds like State Dinners in all 4 countries.

What a jam-packed itinerary. Those traveling with the President are going to be dog-tired and sleep-deprived when they return next week.

So, sorry LL, very little sympathy from this corner of the world for you. :(

8. April 23, 2014 at 9:11 pm

“President Barack Obama—for the first time as an incumbent U.S. president—clearly stated the Senkaku Islands in Okinawa Prefecture are subject to Article 5 of the Japan-U.S. Security Treaty, in a written reply to questions submitted by The Yomiuri Shimbun.”

April 23, 2014 at 9:11 pm

For Caroline Kennedy, the inspiration for the song!

10. 41 Nerdy Wonka
    April 23, 2014 at 9:16 pm
  11. April 23, 2014 at 9:21 pm
      April 23, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Oh boy…I feel some naughty mat moments coming on…uhm…er..where’s Mr. Yardarm this evening?!?!?

April 23, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Hay Donald Trump, how do you like President Obama now? Looks like a President, oh heck he is the President. Something Donald Trump will never be. You know I think Trump problem with POTUS is POTUS won’t give him the time of day. Trump started off defending POTUS, I remember Trump saying that he doesn’t know how anyone could expect Obama to fix the big mess G.W. Bush left this country in overnight. Next thing I hear Trump was a birther. I’m sure Trump thought he would have been invited to the White House several times by now, not once.

• April 23, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Thank you Chips for capturing this moment.

I don’t often have the opportunity to view the livestreams that JER posts (she’s truly amazing, someone speculated she’s with CIA, LOL) but was really moved by this one.

Amazing how in synch our two countries are, after what happened between the two countries during WWII (and Roosevelt’s internment orders).

Also amazing that such a sharp-looking sword was allowed inches from our President. It means a trusting relation between these two economic superpowers.

12. April 23, 2014 at 9:24 pm
    April 23, 2014 at 9:25 pm

My New Year’s resolution for 2017 is to not be on Sam Cook III and Mark Knoller’s cases all the time as I’ve been and will be for the rest of this year and for the next two years.

• 62 kathleenp444
      April 23, 2014 at 9:30 pm

:-) :-) Thanks for doing the heavy lifting, hopefruit!

April 23, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Hopefruit, he’s irritating, but I actually give Knoller some credit for not being as quick to block those who call him out as some others are. As for that Cook guy, I gave up on him last time because he seems to contradict himself more than once in his own tweets. At least he did the last time we had that ‘long’ conversation about PBO, and he was seemingly unaware of the contradictions! I have been busy so I haven’t seen him since; I thought he had more or less given up.

April 23, 2014 at 9:45 pm

I agree about Knoller. And as for Cook, he is on Twitter right as we speak – being annoying as usual.

April 23, 2014 at 9:47 pm

I’ll pass on Cook – don’t want to fry my brains before heading to bed since I have to work tomorrow! :)

April 23, 2014 at 9:49 pm

LOL! He seems to be in a pleasant mood this evening actually. No snide remarks about PBO. That’s enough for me – FOR NOW.

April 23, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Ooooo, you are special, Hf! I clicked via your last comment to him to see what he was saying and got this

‘@samueljcookiii’s account is protected.’

It wasn’t protected last time I joined the dialogue! :) :)

14. April 23, 2014 at 9:29 pm
      April 23, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I.Love.It.

April 23, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Good night going to watch some NBA basketball. I might listen to POTUS joint press conference. That’s 11:15pm our time eastern. And tomorrow night what time does Parks and Recreation comes on?

• April 23, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Love this photo of the little ones.

I’m sure PBO’s first inclination was to scoop everyone of them up.

The Japanese love to have their children wear hats, which makes them even more adorable. I remember post-earthquake/tsunami photos of survivors in evacuation centers and seemed most of the little ones had on hats.

15. April 23, 2014 at 9:35 pm
  16. April 23, 2014 at 9:40 pm
  17. April 23, 2014 at 9:51 pm
  18. April 23, 2014 at 9:58 pm
    April 23, 2014 at 10:18 pm

Can’t get enough of this:

20. April 23, 2014 at 10:19 pm
    • 100 carolyn
      April 23, 2014 at 10:27 pm

It just does my heart good to see Caroline Kennedy representing our country so beautifully, and taking part in these meetings with PBO.

I well remember her as a little girl, so loved and adored by the country. Her mom and dad would be so proud, and at my age, part of the Kennedy generation, I kind of feel like a proud mom seeing her doing so well. She has her father’s smile.

• 101 MightyPamela
      April 23, 2014 at 10:40 pm

What a beautiful picture. I agree with Carolyn, the agonies this lovely woman has faced all her life, through which she has grown, and seems to glow from within. Bless her.

April 23, 2014 at 10:25 pm

On Thursday, President Obama will visit the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation in Tokyo and deliver remarks at an event for youth in science. Tune in here to watch the remarks, starting live at 2:10 am ET.

April 23, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Some dork who calls himself “Executive Director @ReadyforHillary” has followed me on Twitter. Tempted to block him, but I don’t want to give him the attention. Or her.

April 23, 2014 at 10:56 pm

I took a peek at the link and saw this oh-so-appropriate quote, the truth of which Hillary’s supporters obviously don’t ‘get’. I don’t know when she may have said it, and wouldn’t waste the time to check it out; how.ever. I’m going to hang on to it to reuse sometime when they start to hype her up more.

“Every moment wasted looking back,
      keeps us from moving forward…..
      In this world and the world of tomorrow,
      we must go forward together,
      or not at all.” ~ Hillary Clinton

I also glanced quickly down the tweets in the visible TL, and nothing they are hyping suggests that Hillary has done anything ‘outstanding’. For the life of me, I cannot envision her doing any of the meaningful stuff PBO has been doing behind the scenes vis a vis real meaningful governing.

April 23, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Oopsie! That comment I made at 10:40pm was in reply to you. O well, ’twasn’t anything meaningful.

April 23, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Pity in one sense. Since you don’t want to give him any attention I guess you can’t tell him if he’s ‘ready for Hillary’, he’s too far behind in politics to interest you. He needs to get with the 21stC programme.

• 109 Obama Grandmama
      April 24, 2014 at 12:38 am

I got the Ready for Hillary campaign funding request in the mail last week. It had a current photo of Bill, Chelsea and Hillary in it. I opened it and threw it all away. I may end up voting for her in a GE, but am not excited, nor do I intend to donate. I will be sending my donations for our Presidents library fund.

24. April 23, 2014 at 10:47 pm

Tzar Vlad wants war. Lavrov has removed the ‘if’ …

For it to be deterred the only actions, imo, that might work are for President Obama and the EU to enact truly massive sanctions. Because, the only folk who have the capacity to stop Putin are Russian oligarchs who don’t want their wealth and life style compromised.

#TrustBarack …. because, without any doubt, he knows way more than any of us and will do his best to avert catastrophe.

• April 23, 2014 at 10:52 pm

Sorry, the second tweet is ….

And, the reason for recommending a preemptive economic strike are well summarized here … http://www.themoscowtimes.com/opinion/article/russia-is-in-no-economic-shape-to-fight-a-war/498728.html

“Last Friday evening, the Russian Security Council met. In attendance were 12 men — almost all of whom are around 60 years old and who once worked in the KGB in St. Petersburg — and one woman. Many have speculated that they might have agreed on a plan to invade eastern and southern Ukraine after Putin revived the term “Novorossia,” or New Russia.

None has significant economic insights. In the U.S., by contrast, the slightly larger National Security Council includes several economic officials, starting with the treasury secretary because the U.S. considers national security decisions economic issues as well.

clip

If Russia’s National Security Council had invited one of the country’s many good economists, it would probably have heard that Russia is in no shape to carry out an aggressive war in Ukraine.”

#TrustBarack

25. 112 Nena20409
    April 23, 2014 at 10:50 pm

MJ’s Thriller by the Disney Frozen Characters ;)

Good Night TODers :)

26. 113 JER
    April 23, 2014 at 10:52 pm
  27. 115 JER
    April 23, 2014 at 10:55 pm
  28. 117 MightyPamela
    April 23, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Getting set up to watch the press conference, it’s only 8:04 here, so we are in a comfortable time zone for tuning in. I don’t tweet, so cannot provide any updates for you all. Hope my bandwidth is fast enough! Bbl.